Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    '98 Montero - FWIW. Since no one bothered to respond to my earlier 2 posts, thought I'd enlighten the group in case this problem happens to any of you. Remember, the noise was evident when on the gas, no acceleration (maintaining speed around 40). When off the gas, noise stopped. So obviously it was a question of applying torque to the driveline. Thought it was driveshaft, differential, or tranny. Took it in yesterday. Service mgr calls me up, tells me I was right and it's a good thing I took it in. Said the propeller shaft was cracked and could be dangerous. That we'd been lucky that it hadn't sheered all the way off yet. Won't have the part for 4 days and didn't recommend that we drive it like it is. Yes, this is covered by warranty. Part alone is $460. No clue on labor.

Still love our 7-seat beast. Even more after back from Mark Mitsubishi. Nice dealership.
  • regalaregala Member Posts: 45
    Mine is built 05/00. I do not know if these issues only exist on certain build dates. I know that there was a TSB for this.
  • xtski93xtski93 Member Posts: 4
    Good Review of Monte and it's Off Road Abilities

http://thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=618&n=157,181&sid=181
  • rbc3azrbc3az Member Posts: 6
    My 2001 Montero is making whining noise when I accelerate (not even accelerating hard). I also have a rather loud AC compressor which makes an annoying clunking sound. Has anyone else experienced this in their 2001 Monty?

Magilla - Are you in the Phoenix area? Which Mark Mitsubishi dealership did you go to and who was the service manager? I might want him to take a look at my truck.
  • sailmansailman Member Posts: 1
    Pinoy44: I too have noticed that noise, humming right at the range beginning at 72 through 78mph....to me the noise sounds like the droning you sometimes hear on a prop airplane.

I have not discussed with dealer, so I would be very interested in your findings. I have had my 2001 Monte for about 4 months now and have apx. 5K miles logged.

I thought this noise was attributable to tire noise, but who knows. Thanks.
    Check with Steve at Mark Mitsu in Glendale. Haven't dealt with Scottsdale. Bought ours in Glendale. And btw, it's not noticeable so much during acceleration, but cruising at 40 and up. Accelerating will cause the "truck" to be noisy especially if the ac is on. Here's how ya tell: Turn off the ac, turn off the radio and drive at a constant 40. Then, let off the gas. If you notice the whining dissappearing when you get off of the gas, you might want to have it checked out.

Otherwise, we've been nothing but pleased with this vehicle and Mark Mitsu-Phx.
    For those of you who are having like a driveline or humming noise, what date are your Monty's built? Mine is like a low frequency noise vibration on speeds 50 & 60 mph. I have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to replace my driveshaft. There is a TSB for imbalance driveshaft but does not apply to all Montys. I have the copy of the TSB and what build date it applies.
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    regala can you post the TSB number and the build dates?...thanks...!
    To further clarify the problem noise, it's not an engine noise. When driving, you'll notice the noise is underneath you and sounds like (if your ears are working) it's in the driveshaft or the rear differential. It is not an engine noise. The service manager was aware of a possible noise from the AC or the alternator. Don't know what those are about as that's not our problem, but just to mention that they are aware of it. BTW, our build date was 6/98.

Our vehicle would've been back had all flights not been grounded earlier this week. Our part was stuck at the airport. Still in a rental vehicle provided by the dealership.
  • pinoy44pinoy44 Member Posts: 14
    Additional info to my previous post(#1142).

I went to the dealership this morning for them to confirm the intermittent humming noise and vibration when I'm cruising 72-78 mph speed. I drove the truck with the Service Dept. Manager on the passenger side at those speed range, with and without my foot on the gas pedal. He witnessed the noise and vibration and they will make more test early next week. This noise is not brought by AC since we have the air off.

I'll post their findings sometime next week and hopefully it is not a major one.
    Hi all, I have a 2001 Montero Ltd and have noticed a slight creaking sound that sounds like it happens when the suspension moves either from a slow start or almost when stopped. Interestingly I notice it from the rear suspension AS WELL AS the front! Of course the radio must be turned off to notice this. Anyone else notice this? thanks...
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    I've posted about similar to this several times above somewhere. Your's is the first to post to also describe this annoyance.

When almost stopped I have a slight to (sometimes) moderate squeak or "creak" from the rear. Have had it for almost 8-9 months now. Dealer says it is "normal" brake noise and probably due to "glaze on the rear pads and rotors". I've never heard it from the front but it makes sense that, if it is brake noise, it could come from any of the assemblies.

In my case, it is most noticeable under hot dry conditions and after stop and go driving. Worst condition is down in Palm Springs area in the summer. Last winter it disappeared on a trip to Idaho with slight snow on the road, temperatures never above 40 degrees F. It also occurs in reverse, and seems louder, when just about stopped when backing out of garage down slightly sloped driveway.

Some times it does seem to originate from the suspension rather than the brakes.

It is annoying at times.
    phonos..In my case I really don't see how it could be the brakes. It seems to coincide with the vehicle "moving" on the suspension, like right after I remove my foot from the brakes and the vehicle starts moving (before i actually hit the accelerator) nothing happens, its when I actually start to accelerate and I can feel the weight of the body move on the suspension, thats when I hear the noise.You are correct though I hear it 99% of the time from the back of the vehicle. Anyone else out there notice this?
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    Has anyone changes shocks/tires(ex.Michelen with stiffer sidewall) to counter this alleged rollover issue? I have child #3 on the way and will buy an SUV with a 3rd row seat but that would still fit in a standard garage.

The wife likes the Montero very much and they are a good deal. On Monday I drove a 4wd Limited (2001) and a 2002 Ford Explorer(2wd V6) back to back. The Montero drove fine in my opinion. The Ford seemed a little softer in ride, and maybe a little more power.

As far as interior room, the Explorer seemed to be a little biggger, but the quality of the interior was way cheaper in the Ford. CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP!!!

I walked away wanting the Montero, then I find this thread and read all about the Consumer Reports fiasco. What kind of tires were on the test vehicle, and what air pressure. Most manufacturers put cheap tires on vehicles from the factory(ex.Firestone). I am not ready to throw the Montero off my short list.

Thanks for the info.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I believe Consumer Report's Montero came with Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires, which are also OEM tires on other SUVs such as the Isuzu Trooper, Lexus RX300, and the Toyota Highlander, for example. Note that the Firestone tires were built by Firestone to Ford's specifications and price range.

The Consumer Reports articles can be found here and here.

Good luck and I hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    The Montero comes standard with Yokahama geolander tires, which are actually pretty decent tires. For some reason, some of the Monte's came with Bridgestones, at least the CR vehicle did, but I have yet to see one where I live with anything but the Yokahamas....

I beleive the Monte has a larger interior than the explorer--at least it used to, until the 2002 came out. I know that the 2002 explorer is a little larger, but does it really have more interior space than the Monte? There is no way the explorer can have more headroom, for instance....

Personally, I would take the Monte over the explorer. The CR thing is debatable; check out the NHTSA's feelings about CR's tests. The type of avoidance maneuver they do at CR is VERY driver dependent, and not a reliable predictor of rollover, at least according to the NHTSA.

Both the Monte and the explorer are going to do relatively poorly with regard to depreciation. I'm not too thrilled about that (I bought my Monte before the CR tests), but I didn't buy the vehicle as an investment. IMHO, if depreciation is not an issue, and you are choosing between the Explorer and the Monte, go with the Monte--I think it's the better vehicle.

If, however, depreciation is at or near the top of your list as a consideration, then I wouldn't get either vehicle--I would look at something else, depending on what your needs are (An MDX, for example, would still fit your needs, but is going to be a bit more expensive. And wimpier looking. And not as good offroad. But I digress....).

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE--whatever you do, don't buy an Aztek. It would be heartbreaking to me to know that someone who participated in this forum intelligently bought one of THOSE...
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    I want you to sit down for this...

According to autosite.com, for the month of August, 1,940 people bought an Aztek.

And the total year to date sales number is even more staggering: 20,141.
    Those same people bought:

1. 3,789 Furbies
    2. 9,765 Beenie babies
    3. 10,765 Pokemon cards
    4. 11,765 Bumper stickers with anti-social
    messages (Such as "My kid beat up your honor
    student")
    5. 12,853 Bags of doritoes
    6. 13,854 Cases of Boones Farm Strawberry wine
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    Don't worry about the Aztec....another GM debacle. When I look at the new Chevy truck Avalanche it says "I was designed by the same person who designed the Aztec!". And GM introduces the new midsize SUV, the Blazer, Envoy, as new clean sheet designs, with NO 3rd seat. I hate to see the General continue to shoot itself in the foot.

But back to the Montero, it is still on my short list. Having only driven the Limited, do the front head rests in the XLS have openings in the center like the Limited or are they solid? The reason? The huge sunroof in the Limited prohibits a ceiling mounted LCD video display for the kids. The option of installing 2 small LCD screens in the back of the front head rests is not an option in the Limited because the head rests are open in the center. Leather is not an absolute, but I MUST have a video player installed for road trips for the kids.

I am not concerned about depreciation, I will keep this truck at least until 150K miles.

My driving impressions confirmed my gut feeling that the Montero is a truck, the explorer felt like a jacked up station wagon(MDX). I say this knowing I could by a new Explorer using a family discount(Ford employee A-plan) for about the same price a used Montero will cost me.

But when it comes to a real 4x4 suv with a usable 3rd row seat, the pickins are slim. XL-7 is too small, the MDX and Buick Rendevous are pumped up minivans, the Durango is gas hog with questionable build quality. Especially in 4x4.

Has anyone put a Class 2 or 3 receiver hitch on their Montero? How much?

I have seen several Montero's with aftermarket brush gaurds on the front, but what about an aftermarket REAL rear bumper?

Thanks again for the info.
    I put on a class 3 hitch--had it added on as a freebie by the dealer.

You could probably get solid headrests for the ltd if they come on the XLS, but I don't know if the XLS has solid head rests or not. The seats are pretty much the same, so I think the XLS headrests should fit the ltd.
  • zorglubzorglub Member Posts: 79
    For those interested I saw last week end that some dealer in the SF bay area is discounting the 2001 limited $6,500 off MSRP. Can't remember whom though.
    Ok...you're not going to believe this but the "creaking" noise that sounded like it was coming from the brakes or suspension that I described in a previous post was actually the rear seat cargo cover! I had reclined the rear seats a bit so that they contacted the cargo cover and the movement of the seats and cover (especially when someone was sitting in them) caused the creaking. Strange but true....
  • firema3421firema3421 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with the paint chipping on the lower part of the monteros. Dealer said that some people have had problems and that they needed to order a part for it I have no idea what pairt it is. Also anyone found an answer to the handling I am thinking of diff springs to lower the monte.
    Yes, I and a few others have had problems with paint flaking off the rocker panels. My rocker panels are Sudan Biege (The truck is pearl red).

I am taking it in tomorrow to get the diff. switch replaced (it's leaking--see earlier posts) and I'll ask about the paint problem then..
    Same here.. Mine were all over the rocker panel. Let us know what part they ordered for you.
    Mine also is chipping off around the edges. Color is the Sudan Beige..
    FWIW, my 99 Isuzu Trooper ALSO is doing the same thing on the plastic parts around the wheel wells..Seems paint can't stick to plastic very well..
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Just returned from Europe and picked up the Pajero info from the dealer. They also had an accessory catalogue that has things like DVD Nav systems, a selection of bull bars, side bars, and all kinds of other stuff that I have not seen here in the US. I suppose it would fit the 2001 Montero fine as they looked identical. there is a 2 door model that looks the same as the Montero but shorter.

There were many Monteros (2001 models as well) in Europe. I was supprised to see how many people drive them in Europe. More than I have seen in the US.

I also found out why BMW and Mecedes make thier 4wd so small. The roads just dont make driving vehicles much larger any fun. Good luck driving a Sequoia or Sub over there.

Anyway, I wish there was a why to get the pictures of the accessories to everyone to review.
  • salthousesalthouse Member Posts: 3
    "Has anyone put a Class 2 or 3 receiver hitch on their Montero? How much?"

I installed a class 3 Draw-Tite hitch that I purchased on a recommendation from a post I found on this board. The install took about 20 min. The cost was about $180 including shipping. I believe that I ordered it from www.hitch-web.com.
    You guys were dead right--it was the switch that was leaking. I phoned them ahead of time, to see if they had the part in stock, and they said they would not get the part until they checked out the vehicle. I explained to them that this was a common problem, asked them what else it could be, etc. etc....They insisted on seeing the truck first.

So I brought it in. They checked it, told me they needed to replace a gasket and it would be in in one week. I asked the guy if he was sure it was the gasket and not the switch, and he assured me it was a leaky gasket.

I brought it in friday, and they replaced--you guessed it--the switch. No more leak!! The guy threw some revisionist history on me about the "gasket"....Could of saved me a trip if they would've ordered the switch in the first place, but they refused (even after I pointed out that this was a fairly common problem with the Monte, and if they didn't use it on mine, they would probably have the opportunity to use it on someone else's).

This is the first problem I've had with the Monte-still love the truck, but a little less enamored with the dealer. They still have not ever washed the car, despite the fact that they promised to do so after every service check--not a big deal, but it's mildly annoying, as they made such a big point about this before I bought it...
    I'm glad that the problem has been fixed. I have already 31K plus miles on my Monte and it still rides like brand new. So far I have only dealt 2 problems with it, the freewheel engage switch and an imbalanced propeller drive shaft. Tires may soon need to be changed. Hopefully I can get new ones before the winter comes.
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    Glad I could help regarding the leak. It caught me unawares. With the paint chipping, is it due to stone chips? Have a lot of those on the silver paint. Replace panels?

Anybody notice a louder whining noise when backing up? It seems that there are more tranny noises or from that area. Monte has 11,000 miles. Something I should look into?
    Where were you in Europe? The roads in the Scandinavia we also found to be very narrow a few years ago. Same story in Italy, Greece, Monaco, Turkey where we were last month. Didn't see many Mitsubishi's in this part of Europe/Asia. Lots of brand names we never saw before. Can't remember them at the moment. Have to look at the photos.

Does the catlogue from the dealer mention a website that we might peruse on line?
    "Paint chipping" is kind of a misnomer--I do have some chipping from rocks, and from door dings from girly-man RX-300's, but I have areas where it looks like the paint flakes off--I agree with one of the previous posts--it looks like the rocker panels just don't take the paint that well.

I got into a discussion with the service department about what will now be referred to as the "Free wheel engage switch not a damn gasket" incident, and forgot to ask about the paint flaking off. Maybe it was a diversionary tactic by the dealer....Oh well...
    I just came from the NHTSA tech service data base and found over 5 pages of defect investigation/ Tech service bulletins or 21 plus for 2001 Montero.
    Go to: www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/central2.cfm. Delete-tsb- and add-recalls-to go to the recalls for the same.
    I went to the NHTSA site and only two recalls were listed. One for a brake booster and one for the side mirror. Where are the rest you mention?
    We went to Germany, Austria area. Many 2001 Pajeros (identical to our Montero). The roads were small enough that anything bigger than the Montero would be problematic.
    I just returned from an extended trip. Can someone please restate the leaking switch issue for me. I would like to know what switch and where to look. I have the manuals so if you have the exact part name perhaps I can find a picture.

Thanks
    OK, I think I found them. There appears to be two recalls. The mirror issue everyone knows about and the brake booster which has been discussed here as well.

The vast majority of the tech service bull. are nothing more than page number updates, new wiring diagrams, change to valve lash adjustment, etc.

There was one on the power seat possible causing static on the AM radio, metal burrs from the exhaust on pre 2/9/00 engines (VIN1Joo2592) possibly getting loose into the engine causing misfire and diagnostic trouble codes, possible leak from the "freewheel engage switch on the front differential" (this must be the switch issue everyone knows about). There was a TSB on driveshaft vibration but has anyone had any vibration problems?

Anyway, that just about raps up all the reported issues. Not many it seems. I am going to check that switch.

The main thing is that these are getting reported and that there are easy fixes to the few real problems.

Thanks to everyone on this board and the objective discussions about the Montero. I think we need to keep the info coming, good and bad.
    Has anyone received notification of the recalls from Mistu or their dealers?? Refresh my memory on the brake booster brill, if you have a second..Is the notification for all Monte's or just specific build dates??

Brill, with regard to the switch, you will know if its leaking if you have a heavy, clear (not engine) oil on your driveway. If you don't have any oil on your driveway, you don't have a leaky switch (or should I say that at least your Montero doesn't have a leaky switch).

I'm not sure of the exact location of the switch, but it's near the front skid plates because these had oil on them. I had the skid plates wiped off when they replaced the switch, and the skid plates and driveway are clean since the switch was replaced (thanks for the tips vetmed and regala).
    For anybody that goes there, look for the tech service bulletins. I know some are not for every vehicle but I can as least be aware of potential problems. I found the loud power steering whine applicable and possible problems with the drive shaft.
    If you own one or more cars, look them up. I found several regarding my wife's 2000 Nissan Maxima. Great car but the engine blew one of the 4 crankshafts which forced Nissan to provide a new engine at 9,000 miles. No TSB on that one. Peace ASAP.
    I meant camshafts not crankshafts. Tords got wisted.
  • vjj110vjj110 Member Posts: 13
    Considering buying a used 2001 Montero Limited. I registered Carfax to check the history of each advertised car ($19.99, two-month unlimited usage, good deal, and it is really fun). I found out there are a lot of used Montero that dealers got from manufacturer sale (auction), and their history start from the sale. They usually have very attractive milage, about 5K-17K.

Does anyone have the idea what these cars are for before the sale?
    Is it safe to buy this kind of car? Thanks.
    Took Monte in for 22,500 mile service yesterday.

Three recall items fixed --

- Windshield wiper nuts replaced.

- Power brake accumulator replaced.

- this is new one, I think, they replaced the entire radiator assembly due to potential leak between the engine coolant system and transmission fluid cooling system. Apparently, a leak can develop between the two and cause severe damage to either the engine, transmission, or both.

Per the dealer, these are the only recalls that applied to this 2001 Montero LTD build number.

I mentioned the driver's side mirror distortion, but they didn't have any in parts department.

So far, no noise from power steering assembly.
    I went to my dealer with my XLS and my TSB printouts. We went over them together and I needed:
    1. Brake accumulator for ABS brakes.

2. Radiator Assembly as per Phonos entry #1193.

3. Replace passenger side mirror which is a actual recall.

4. Replaced windshield wiper nuts.
    Service manager said that Mitsu was in the process of notifying owners and I beat the rush?

Service manager went out of his way to help and he is always that way. On the lot there is a red limited ($1,500 rebate) and two blue used ones with about 8,000 miles. One a XLS and one a limited. Dealer is Bianchi Mitsu. in Erie Pa.
    IF I can trust my dealer my Monte does not need any recall or TSB updates based on its build date or something they ran in the computer.

This make me a little concerned because others are having things replaced and they are telling me that my vehicle doesnt need any of it.

Did they catch these things on my build date and later or am I being mislead? I dont know.

If anyone has the build date of there Montero and what the dealer did replace this would be very very helpful for the rest of us in order to keep our dealers "honest" shall we say.

Thanks
    My build date was July 2000. I was told that owners would be notified some time by Mitsu. I jumped the gun and took my TSBs with me. All they have to do is look in their computer and they will know.

Mitsu even sent 10 each of the above items to the dealers (#1194)since they knew owners would be coming in.

Not satisfied with your dealer, call the 8oo number in your manual. Have your build date ready (on driver's door jamb) and your VIN.

If the radiator leaks, it will get into the tranny and destroy it. The accumulator will keep your ABS brakes from working correctly. If it isn't working, you will hear a chirping from the left side of the dash.

The windshield nuts will break off if there is a load on them like snow or leaves. Then you won't have a working wiper on that side. Good luck...
    I got my recall notices today and it came under 2 seperate mailing. First one was the Hydraulic Brake Booster which states a recall for 01-02 MODELS BUILD BEFORE 06/20/01. Second was a notice regarding the radiator and the windshield nut but it states it is not a recall but a product improvement.

My Montero's build date was 05/00. Two things have been replaced so far:

Propeller drive shaft
    Freewheel engage switch

Both of these replaced part were not a recall, which means, your dealer will not replace the part unless it is defective.
    The Monte started making terrible noises after the above noted recall replacements.

The problem was they were intermittent and not always reproducible.

At first I thought they had replaced a "good" accumulator with a "bad" one -- hissing noise sounded like it was from the dash.

Then, on stopping, it sounded like they had forgot to tighten something on the wheels when tires were rotated. Noise was like grinding on the brake rotors.

And then, on acceleration, noise like the transmission was self-destructing.

It seemed too much was wrong all of a sudden.

When I started poking around under the hood, I discovered the engine electric cooling fan shroud had not been completely latched on the top center post (near the hood latch mechanism), after it was removed and replaced for the radiator replacement. A slight realignment, and it snapped into place.

All noises (except the rear brake glaze squeaking that is "sometimes normal") disappeared (at least I think so -- it was late last night when I finally took it for the last short test drive).

Apparently it was the shroud moving around (back and forth on starting and stopping) and being struck by the blades when the fan started.

Mine has a July 2000 build date and the recall letter I received (the evening after I had already picked up the Monte) included the three items:

-radiator

-power brake accumulator

-wiper nuts
  • igorbigorb Member Posts: 7
    I've got a 2001 XLS a week ago at the Chevrolet dealership. Love the car. There was the only one key with it. Is a keyless entry a standard option for this model? If so what do I have to do to make sure that it is present on my car? Do I have to go to a Mitsu dealer to get the remote?
    Also, where can I download the info about current recalls?
    Thanks in advance.
    Igor