Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    ibrollinover4u - Did the computer reprogramming help the tranny shifting? I have also noticed occasional shifting problems with my 2001 Monte LTD., usually when still cold.
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    I have not had the oppertunity to get back to dealer yet...this will be an 1 hour job. I will post an update when completed.
  • curtishall1curtishall1 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 1995 Mitsubishi Montero SR that I believe may have sludge buildup in the engine. I have tapping noise coming from my engine also. I went to a Mitsubishi dealer to speak to technician. The technician advised me to drain out my oil. Then take 3 qts. of Transmission fluid and 2 1/2 qts of non synthetic oil (mix it together). Drive my truck for a 1000 miles with the mixture in my engine. Drain out the oil/transmission fluid mixture and he guaranteed me the sound would go away. WHAT YOU THINK?
    Has anyone ever heard of that technique for removing engine oil sludge? Tell me what you think?
  • cookie6602cookie6602 Member Posts: 5
    I am strongly considering purchasing the 2002 Montero Limited with the heated leather seats.
    I sat in one and was very suprised how hard the seats were. Are they a comfortable ride? My husband has a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, and the heated leather seats, are softer and very comfortable. I dont want us to have "twin" suv's, that is why I am considering the Montero, plus I like the looks better. any advice or comments on the seats. thanks.
  • toyotas1toyotas1 Member Posts: 134
    Are they gonna put a V8 in this thing so it can run with the class leaders?
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    I find the more firm seats MUCH more comfortable. Particularly during long drives. But.. everyone is different.

When I first rode in a Cherokee I knew I could never live with those seats. I spend tons of time behind the wheel for my job and I find that Super Soft seats that you sink into like the Jeeps are the WORST for long drives. In fact they are torture for me. They surround your body limiting your ability to move and adjust easily. Also they tend to squeeze your body creating more fatigue and blood flow restrictions.

I always look for a more firm seating surface. You'll find that Premium After Market Seats like Recaro follow the same concept of using firmer surfaces. They actually are proven reduce fatigue and increase long haul comfort. Sounds odd to some but I'm telling you from lots of experience over the years.. it is true. But... everyone is different. :)

drew
  • mhowittmhowitt Member Posts: 2
    My digital compass gauge on my 1998 montero is going haywire. I press the "s" button to try and reset it, but all I get is an "S" rotating around the gauge. Anyone have any thoughts on how to correctly reset this thing? You can e mail me direct at M1keh@aol.com. I greatly appreciate any help on this.

-Mike Howitt
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Agree with dski. The worse your back or further you drive you will appretiate the firmer seat. European car makers have figured this out long ago. The Mecedes is firm as well. I too was initially concerned but find it to be the most comfortable of all my vehicles.
    We all would like a V8 option but the V6 does fine other than really tring to fly uphill or towing.

For 4wding the 6 is fine.

Id be interested in having you define what you think the class leader(s) are and in what area(s), as an SUV, you feel the V8 helps them over the Montero. I dont think many of us are too concerned about 0-60 times in an SUV.
    I don't want a V8. I had that in my last truck.

I'd much rather see a higher hp V or inline 6. What does the new Envoy have? It's a V6 but I can't remember the output. Somewhere around 240-260. I have driven the Pathfinder which feels very powerful with it's 240hp output 6. Keep your V8's I hated the poor mileage on my last one.

drew
    Sorry, you are correct. I misspoke for "everyone". In fact, I am looking forward to Fords new diesel 6 coming out next year with 400 ft lbs torque for towing, hauling, carry my bikes, etc. It will have at least 20% better mileage then this years 8's yet have just as much power.

Iguess I meant that I wish the Montero 6 had more torque. I think it would get a little better mileage and tow my trailer a little better not that towing should be the goal of an SUV.

I dont think more power in the Montero will make it better at what it is designed to do, be a mid sized, serious off road SUV with all the comforts of SUV such as the Landcruiser all at almost half the price.
    I agree on power not being the big issue. But.. for me..I don't need the towing and Off Road ability as much. I'd like to have more acceleration. I don't tow so I figured the Monty had enough torque. Guess not.

drew
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    In for 30,000 mile service last Saturday. No major complaints about the vehicle other than the squeeky brake pads/rotors I've discussed before and a upper glove box latch that is tought to engage.

Minor complaint about the service at Anaheim Mitshbishi though. My wife, not realizing that a major service interval had been reached, had the oil changed (not at dealer) on previous Wednesday. On Saturday the service writer said no problem, they would do everything else required at 30,000 miles, fix the glove box latch under warrenty, and subtract the cost of the oil change which it didn't need.

Well they, of course, changed the oil (but didn't charge for it) and didn't fix the glove box latch. Didn't wash it (as is usual when we go in for service), although they are supposed too. "Shorthanded today, bring it back Monday". Yea, right as if we had time. I'm gittin' tired of that excuse.

Oh, well as long as the vehicle has no major problems I don't need good dealer service.

I think I'll send a copy of this to the dealer.
  • suepoasuepoa Member Posts: 7
    I can't answer your question but I have a great solution. I purchased a Mitsubishi sunroof wind deflector from the dealer. It looks real sharp, eliminates almost all the wind noise when the roof is open and is a smoked color plastic that deflects a lot of the direct sun light from beating down on you. Part of the mounting includes the deflector you're talking about and actually eliminates the use of it entirely. Hence, solving your problem.
  • wilkichwilkich Member Posts: 52
    After spending 10 hours in the Montero last weekend on a quick ski trip to Tahoe, I did not even think about the seats. My wife has back pain and she has never complained about the seats. Indeed, she slept much of the way home. As for the Cherokee, please read the town hall section and other reports on it. Everyone I know has had real reliability issues with it. Frankly, I would be very careful. If the third seat is not a requirement and you don't want twin vehicles, I think the Pathfinder, Highlander or even a wagon like the Outback or Passat is the way to go.
  • mhenderson1mhenderson1 Member Posts: 164
    Does anyone have better pictures or a web site on the 2003 Montero? I see that cars.com has a photo of the front, but I would like to know what it looks like on the inside. Also does anyone know the pricing?
  • lj3dlj3d Member Posts: 6
    In case you have not read it, PBS's Motorweek has an update on the long-term drive test of 2001 Montero as of February 2002.

The Long Term Review has been very good, and it noted no stability problem claimed by other consumer media source. The only weaknesses noted was the general loosening of the suspension and wasted space of the dash.

Here is the link to the review:

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/longterm/2001montero.shtml

Did they mention what was loose? Shock?

I dont know about the wasted space, what did they mean.

I think there could be some better uses of the existing space such as a GPS system like they have in Europe but I would not give up on my current computer. I also like the two glovebox system.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Mitsu released the CRV/Rav4/Escape size Outlander and the 2003 Montero an the New York Auto Show the past two days.

The Montero is suppose to get a new 3.8 litre V-6 with a few cosmetic changes. The XLS will now come with the Sportronic 5-speed automatic transmission. The 4-speed auto is gone on the Montero. Also they are going to have active-track system.
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Here is a link to Motor Trend's review from the NY Auto show: http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/ny02/index.html

I think that the best change is to increase the engine displacement a bit, although the MT review doesn't give the particulars about the increase in torque or horsepower. But what is with that new front-end? I much prefer the nose on my 2001 Limited.

The long term report was nice to read. I'm not sure specifically what they meant by the suspesion Loosening up but I did have to replace a rear shock early. I do think the front end feels a little loose but it's very subtle. There are occassional creaking noises as well.

One funny thing I noticed in the report was their mention not ONCE but TWICE about the "Gutsy 235hp V6" comparing to V8's in some of the competition. What were they on? I noticed that a third mention of the Horsepower was correct at 200hp but they never corrected that it does NOT accelerate like a V8. I wonder what these guys are used to driving. I think they got this impression wrong.

I'm anxious to see the new 2003 model with its increased power. I may actually replace a vehicle with the same model if they made the improvements I'm hoping for. I've never been happy enough with a vehicle to consider buying it again. That says a LOT.. by this time (50,000 miles) I usually can't wait to dump what I'm driving.

Drew
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    In that motorweek article about the 03 Montero they state that ActiveTrac uses braking at each wheel to increase traction. Have I spaced it? I have a 2001 Montero Ltd, and didn't think that it worked by braking..does anyone know if this is how ActiveTrac worked in 01?
  • JPhamJPham Member Posts: 148
    Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a '97 Montero LS with all the goodies. I know the tires are prone to misalignment and it's relatively costly to service
    (perhaps that's why there seems to be many '97 out there for sale right before reaching 60kmi?).
    Anything else I should be looking out for?

Thanks.

JP
    Here I'm thinking that Mitsubishi was totally redesigning the Montero and all they seem to have done is change the front grill and increase (from photos) the tire size. I am really disappointed with this truck.
    When have you ever seen a manufacturer do a total redesign after only two years of production? It would NEVER happen. It couldn't. Hell, not even GM could afford to go and redesign the Aztek this soon.

Drew
    ". . .ActiveTrac system that allows drivers to select from 2WD, AWD, or 4WD with low and high locked settings that are standard in the 2002 Montero Limited. All 2003 Monteros feature Mitsubishi's active traction control system, which utilizes braking force to reduce wheel spin on slick or uneven surfaces to help prevent traction loss . . ."

Might as well buy a Sequoia.
  • nvcnvc Member Posts: 21
    This is to respond to the Wind noise issue (a bit late, original post in Feb) I have a 97 LS and I had the same noise a thigher speeds coming from the windsheild. There is a TSB on it and the dealers should be able to fix it. They need to replace or repair the seal of the windshield. I don't know if this applies to the the newer monteros like another poster asked.

Hope this helps.
    Did they at least redesign the interior. When I sat in it, the frotn legroom seemed like it was made for dwarfs. There is no legroom at all.
    I hope they dont go to this system. The Sequoia uses this and the 4wd review I read was not favorable on this system. More than one reviewer felt that the braking and depowering of the motor inhibited its performance in difficult situations such as sand/mud. One reviewer even went to the point of stating that he wished he had wire cutters (to cut the electronics) by the end of the test.

On the otherhand, this system can work very well on ice covered roads.

The problem is I dont have problems with the Montero now on any roads so why lose some off road ability to gain marginally in situations that are currently not difficult to handle?

Now, if they use only the braking portion and not go as far as the Sequoia went with power reduction if traction is even more difficult then maybe, just maybe, it will work but I would like to see it tested in the sand/mud to be a believer.

I will be suprised if the new V-6 gets more than 20-30hp and that would not be enough for me to "upgrade".
    >>Did they at least redesign the interior. When I sat in it, the frotn legroom seemed like it was made for dwarfs. There is no legroom at all.<<

What did you sit in? Must have been the Montero Sport because in two years, I've never heard anyone complain here about lack of room in the full size monty. Maybe this just isn't the vehicle for you. But to answer your question, I have no idea what they did with the interior for 03. Perhapse someone here saw it at the NY Auto Show and can respond.

Drew
    Anyone with a 01-02 Montero. Is there a windshield wind noise problem.

I do notice that with different vent settings that there is more/less noise from the outside air at freeway speeds but was not sure anything can be done about this.

It seems that there is a possible windshield noise that can be fixed with ? sealing
    Does anyone else experience this? recently, when I drive my wives 2001 the compass says to "calibrate". My wife insists she does not touch any buttons on computer...after re setting compass on at least 4 different occasions in the last month, today I drove the truck and the damn compass is saying "calibrate". Curious, any one else having this mysterious and annoying problem?
  • mhowittmhowitt Member Posts: 2
    I have a 98 Montero with the 10 disk changer. I took it to the dealership, and they were no help at all, saying they didnt repair radios. The error I get is "E03", and it won't play any disks. Anyone have any thoughts on what to do? I went to an independent audio place, but they wanted $50 just to take it out and send it someplace else to be fixed. Please e mail me direct at M1keh@aol.com if you have any thoughts. Thanks!

-Mike
  • tykytyky Member Posts: 5
    lj3d: On the link that you provided of Motorweek's
    long term update of the 2001 Montero, Are they implying that the 2001 Montero have 235 hp V6 engine? 2001 Montero's only have 200 hp engine. Maybe they were referring to the torque.
  • lj3dlj3d Member Posts: 6
    The 235 number is torque not horsepower. I think they made an error in the report. I also noted they made the same error on the PBS TV show when the presenter repeatedly stating "235 horsepower".
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I feel like the brakes on my '01 Montero Ltd are a bit on the mushy side, requiring more travel to engage than I'd like. Is there any way for me to adjust it, or is this something the dealer can adjust?
    There should be a service section for the radio that tells you what the codes mean. They should also be able to tell you the make of the radio and you could then go to their web site and probably download a manual.
    I have joined the ranks of the "malfunctioning miles to empty indicator" owners. I read here about a resetting process for the computer...anyone here no how this is done? any shop service manuals out there? Please advise, Thanks!
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Actually, legroom has been brought up before about a zillion posts ago. The window controls sit low in the Monte ltd., and this does impinge on the legroom in the width department, and it does bother some people (It doesn't bother me, but it is something that was hopefully improved upon in the 2003 model). It may also be related to the configuration of the side air bag.

I think the active track is an excellent addition-if Mitsubishi did it right, it will be able to be switched on and off (unlike the Seq.). If it is on full time, than I share brill's concerns, as the active track does appear to severely compromise the vehicle's off road capabilities in certain situations (I've read the article Brill mentions as well--there is a link to it somewhere in the forum, but I am way too lazy to find it). It would be a shame if Mitsu makes it a full-time system, as one of the major plusses is the Monte's outstanding abilities offroad...

Drew is right about the redesign--Mitsu will only tweak here and there, as it is a relatively new design...Has Mitsu addressed rollover issue (or nonissue, depending on your point of view) with the 2003 model?
  • montemonmontemon Member Posts: 4
    The Computer Reset Process was posted Feb. 4th. Go back to Message #1454, this will talk you through the whole process. LEN
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Any reaction to the Edmunds editors' comparison of mid-size SUVs in which they rate the 2002 Monte Ltd. in last place? I was disappointed that they seemed to focus almost exclusively on the performance of these "SUVs" solely on the road and did not seem to base their conclusions on much testing off-road or on rugged roads. As we all know, the 2001 Monte has been acclaimed by almost all publications that have tested it as one of the most capable off-road vehicles around. And although the editors (rightfully, in my opinion) criticized the Monte for its lack of horsepower, they did not mention the increase in displacement and horses for the 2003 model.

I am also dubious of the quality of a review that can't even get the optional equipment list right -- why do the Edmunds editors say that an "in-dash CD changer," "auto 4WD" (by which I assume they mean all-wheel drive), "trailer hitch," and "three-point center position seat belt" are "not available," when they are available as options, or, in the case of the three-point center position belt, standard (in the 2002, as opposed to the 2001). Someone did not do their homework.
    Thank you for your timely "review of the reviewers". Just goes to show you that just because you work for a auto mag or web site doesnt mean you do your homework.

The only thing the Monte does not do well is tow and as I mature in my assessment of what I should be towing and how to safely do this I keep coming back to an important point. SUV's probably should not be towing anything very large if your goal is safely. Weight, power, wheelbase, suspension capacity, braking capacity on an SUV are fine for just about anything other than towing a larger trailer.

I think a nice sized pick-up is in my future but I will not be giving up my Montero.

I would put the Montero up against any other small, mid and even most full sized SUV even if the study included road handling.

Personally, I think CU put in the roll over article to devalue the Montero so they could all run out and buy one even cheaper because they knew they were excellent SUV ;)
    Miles to empty working again! Thanks
  • agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    does anyone know if the 2003 montero will have navigation system
  • tykytyky Member Posts: 5
    I also would like my 01 Montero Limited to have stronger brakes. I also feel the need to have the brakes adjusted somehow to make it more responsive. I will take the Monte to the Mitsu dealer here in Fremont, California to have the brakes checked. So far, the services that they have provided me have been excellent.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    Edmund likes SUV on road performance. If one likes on road performance, might as well buy a minivan or a high performance wagon. I wonder why they like push button for 4 wheel drive? isn't it better to have an actual lever like the Montero? Finally, they like the Explorer even it has vibrating steering colunm at speed.
    But Edmund is right about the Montero needs more power.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    That review (Comparison Test) is linked in the left navigation bar.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I have ~18000 miles now and the front wheels are beginning to show wear toward the inner part. Is this typical? I rotate them every 6k miles. I currently have the stock Yokohama Geolanders, and they seem to be a good compromise tire. Any suggestions or recommendations on a new set that also strikes a balance between on road and the occasional off road use? Also, if I can fit larger tires, what would you recommend? Would this affect performance, and if so, how? I've always though a slightly wider track would make it perform/look better. Thoughts? Thanks.
    Remember the old days, when things like ground clearance, departure angle, etc. were more important and reported in an off-road capable vehicle test than the quality of the sound system, or smoothness of ride? Guess I'll have to go back to a pick-up truck.
    >>Edmund likes SUV on road performance. If one likes on road performance, might as well buy a minivan or a high performance wagon. <<

That's easy to respond to. SUV's are practical because they are truly multipurpose vehicles. Lots of people like me need an SUV for their work. I need the cargo room and weight capacities. A Mini Van provides the cargo room but they usually lack the other requirements to hold up over the long haul. That's why on road performance is an important characteristic.

It's easy to build a capible Off Road Vehicle these days if you think about it.. The challenge is to engineer one that performs off road but still provides comfort for for use as an everyday driver.

Plus you need to consider this: How many people can afford to buy a vehicle JUST for off-road ability and another for everyday use. Would you like driving a Hummer for your daily commute and errands? Not me? The Monty will do just fine thanks. :) Build a Monty only for off road and no comfort on road and they will cease to exist IMO. I don't believe they would sell the volume required to justify it.

Drew