Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• beazlebeazle Member Posts: 11
    Brillmtb, re your response to #1622, the snow was new and not too cold. What ever tread the o.e. Geolanders have were filled with compacted snow.

On a different subject, I have recently noticed that when turning a corner or or making aggressive lane change moves, there appears to be a "stiff spot" in the steering, where I have to use more force on the wheel to overcome it. After more force is applied, and the spot is passed through, it seems to return to normal. Has anyone else experienced this? I have not had it checked out by service yet, but will soon.
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    From: http://www.outdoorwire.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=69&t=005762&p=

There is another Aussie company called Tough Dog Suspensions who have recently released a shock/ spring replacement for the GenIII Pajero.

The stage 1 gives a 40mm lift and the stage 2 gives a 70mm lift. I don't know how much it costs.

From the review in the 4x4 magazine they were very inpressed with the handling and improved ability of the Pajero off road.

Sent an e-mail to ARB-USA regarding the kit mentioned by Brill in post 1643 above. Received back an e-mail to contact Overlander in Huntington Beach, CA. E-mail response from Overlander follows:

We carry the 2001 Montero suspension from Old Man Emu but we are out-of-stock at

the moment. We have sold several of them and they are VERY well liked. We do

sell over-the-counter and we do have a small showroom in HB at 5592

Buckingham Dr near Graham and Bolsa. Hours are M-F 8-5 PST.

We are not presently publishing a catalog as stated on our web site but feel

free to call us to order a suspension or to arrange a visit.

Thank you for your inquiry.

--

Overlander Outfitters Sales Dept.

Toll Free: 877/SUV-GEAR (877/788-4327)

Local: 714/379-2440

Fax: 714-379-2442

Web Site: http://www.overlander.com

E-Mail: info@overlander.com

Actually the Old Man Emu Kit is shown on their website:

Mitsubishi
    Part No. AB91800; for 2001-02 Montero; consists of 4 coils, 4 shocks; Lift - 1.5"; [List $632.00]; Sell $569.00
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    Ok, I am currently looking for a new suv. I am looking for a nice suv with all the nice features, you know leather, heated seats, power everything, a sophisticated 4wd system, and a nice suspension and brakes, you know everything as usual. Well, I do a lot of hauling around of children and luggage and I need something that is roomy. Well, I am driving a 1999 Chevrolet blazer LT. One thing that it is missing is a third row of seats so I DEFINITELY NEED SOMETHING WITH 3 rows of seats. The blazer always had enough power although it was a little rough, the 4300 had plenty of pull. That is the only concern regarding the montero. It is only powered by a 3500!!! I don't think that a 3.5 V6 has enough pull for a 4,600 lbs vehicle!! What I don't understand is that the towing capacity is rated at 5,000lbs! That would be enough for me, but I can't imagine this vehicle towing that much!! This would bog the engine down to an unbelievable level!! Well, I just want to know how the engine actually performs. Should I look for another candidate? What do you recommend? I am looking for safety as well so make sure that any possible recommendations are coupled with safety. Thanks for your responses!!
  • njjohnnytnjjohnnyt Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the "miles-to-go" gasoline level readout on the LCD? I own a 2001 Limited, and with the last few fillups, this reading will only max out at about 50 mi, and then slowly work its way down to 0. The regular dash gas level gauge (dial) works just fine.

I was hoping someone out there might know of a quick fix. Thanks.

John
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    I hate to recommend this and will probably get roasted by the Regulars here but :)....

For your situation, I strongly recommend checking the new Honda Pilot out. I stopped and looked at one the other day and was VERY impressed.

Is has a fold down 3rd row and the SUV seats a total of EIGHT people. The room is amazing without feeling like your driving an Expedition. The convenience things they thought about are Amazing IMO. If your not looking for a hard core off roader but a good family type SUV.... I think this one may just be the new Class leader.

Upsides are 240hp, lots of room, available DVD or GPS Mapping, 8 passanger with easy fold down or up 3rd row. Loaded version is cheaper than a Monty Limited.

Downside.. Not a hard core off road truck like the Monty. Styling not as unique and no available sunrood yet.

I'd check it out.
    Drew
  • mkayemkaye Member Posts: 184
    Not to flame Drew, but if you want to tow 4500lbs., the Pilot is not the vehicle of choice. Weak tranny for one thing. MDX's have had problems as tow vehicles. The Pilot REQUIRES the cooler package to tow, otherwise voided warranty. And the tow package can be up to $1000 bucks at the dealer. And don't forget, that is a 4500lb BOAT (with lower wind resistance), the max for a trailer is 3500lbs.
    The Monty may not be the best choice either as a routine 5Klbs. tow vehicle, especially on grades. You may be better off with Suburban, Tahoe, or Expedition.
    The Monty interior is far better than the Pilot, the quality of leather, for example, is heads above the Pilot.
    Plus, try finding a Pilot for sticker or less and without $2K to $9K in market adjustment and dealer installed options. Actual pricing can probably get the Monty for a better deal than a Pilot right now.
    The Monty does need more umpphhh in the engine department.
    The Pilot is also a front-wheel drive vehicle with AWD capability. The Monty is a true 4WD with complete AWD capability with the Active-Trac 4WD. The only time the Pilot can be 'locked' in 4wd is under 18mph.
    Although the Pilot 'says' 8 passenger seating, try getting anything but 3 four-year olds in that third row seat. You'll still get a lot of complaining because it is uncomfortable.
    I thought he said the he did NOT need the towing capacity. I could be wrong.

I will challenge you on the quality of the Pilots interior though. Plus the design is superior in terms of convenience features. FWIW, My Monty upholstery is NOT wearing well at all. Not leather.

Yes, Honda dealers will be charging a Premium. I neglected to note that Dissadvantage in my post but our dealers here are selling at Sticker and reports are suggesting only an average of $800 premiums NOT $2 to 9K and even at a Premium, they come in less than the Monty. Still, I do have a hard time buying a vehicle where the buyers are at a dissadvantage on Supply and Demand. When I bought my Monty, the first dealer literally laughed at me when I tried to negotiate. I found a more tactful dealer willing to talk. Otherwise I would not have bought one. I should have waited a year though and I would have gotten a better deal for sure.

I did point out the dissadvantage of the Pilot not being as much of an Off Roader as the Monty though. To some, this is an advantage. Actually, it probably is to most people. Most don't go off road and the Pilot is more powerful with better Gas mileage as a trade off.

Don't get me wrong though. I love my Monty even with all it's chasis Moans and Groans. I don't regret buying mine at all. BTW, I'm at 56,000 mostly happy miles.

I'm not preaching for Honda, just backing up my comments. :) The Pilot will make more sense for a lot of families but lets face it, Mini Vans do to, ugh.

Drew
  • 99trooper99trooper Member Posts: 87
    Ok, while crawling around under my Montero the other day I noticed what looked like a serious rust problem right around the clamp that comes out of the muffler. I've posted pics here:

2001 Montero Rust

Another Photo

Does anyone else have this problem? thanks!

Those are just the Clamps with rust .. right?

If so, it doesn't seem unusual to me. Those parts will rust but should still out last the Exhaust system I would think. They get replaced when the system gets replaced. If you have rust on any permanent fixtures, that would be a concern.

Something to check out with the dealer if your concerned. At least that way you have a record of the observation should the parts fail early.

Drew
    Drew..
    Thanks for replying. My concern is that if you look at the pics the BOLTS are pretty rusted. There is no body rust that I can see, only that fitting for the exhaust and the two bolts. The corrosion on those bolts and that fitting just seem like an awful lot to me for a car thats a 2001. I'm just curious if anyone else's 01 or 02 look like this?

Thanks
  • ibrollinover4uibrollinover4u Member Posts: 19
    check post 1454...your answers are all there!
    I'll look at mine tomorrow to see if it's the same. I'm guessing mine will look similar.

I think bolts will rust for many years before they fail though. Which is why I'm thinking it's probably normal and a part that gets cut away when your pipes are ready for replacement.

Surely there is a Tech around here who can offer a professional opinion. I'm certainly not a tech. I don't even change my own oil anymore. I'm even thinking of giving up on changing my own wiper blades. :)

D.
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    I have a 2000 Monty Sport XLS; where is the miles to empty located?
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    I have a 3300 lb trailer that I tow. Shorter distances are fine but I would like to have a larger truck. I am looking to Fords new diesel later this year, v8 600 ft lbs torque. This will tow anything and will get about 21 mpg on the highway. Towing this trailer dropped my mpg from 20 to 9 with the Monte but the truck will be unlikely to drop below 15.

If you want a smaller SUV but with more power to tow take a look at Fords new SUV. 260hp I think, full independent suspension like the MOnte. Rated very well. It still wont tow like a V8 truck but might bridge your gap. I would not get the Monte if towing >3000 lbs, long distances, frequently.

Skip the Sequoia, recent review indicated a quick drop in milage/performace with towing. This is exactly what I thought would happen. The Sequoia suffers from too small an engine for the size and supposed towing limits as well. The only reason I mention it is because it is a hot item amoung a group of near sighted followers who are afraid to point out its weaknesses as we do here on on Monte forum. Dont know why there isnt more objective dialogue, perhaps its directly related to the amount you pay.

The Monte is suppose to go up on engine size soon but I think anything less than V8 probably will not change my opinion on the towing issue.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Curious. I have 2000 MS LTD 4X4 and pull a 2500# boat and average around 14.5 mpg. Drive it 65 mph. Live in Montana where it is hilly. You are getting '9' mpg. Do you have the LTD or XLS model? Do you drive it in overdrive or shift it down one gear? What speed? Any additional weight in vehicle?

Asking these questions, for thought about up sizing to the Montero from the Sport. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I REALLY like the tread pattern, and for $500 installed, I really like the price. I went with the taller profile because I felt the wheel wells could use some filling in. A bit noisier than the OE highway Geolanders, but not nearly as loud as I was expecting. Rides nicely on the freeway and around town. Oh, did I mention how nice they look?
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    Did you get 4 or 5 tires (spare)? Is anyone going to adjust your odometer for the bigger tire? Do you lease or finance your car?
    If you bought 5 tires, does the hard plastic spare tire cover still fit this size?
    The difference between you 2500lb boat and my 3300lb trailer is probably huge. As we cyclist know it is the wind resistence that all of our peddling effort is going into.

Given the large difference in frontal area of a boat vs trailer I would imagine at least 14mpg in steady driving with the Montero with a boat.

My poor 9mpg was due to attempts to stay near 65mph and in hilly terrain. I would assume that flat, steady driving at 55mph (legal speed) I would jump to 12mpg given that the air resistence is logrithmic vs linear.

I would have no problems recommending the Montero to boat owners.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I would jump to 12mpg given that the air resistence is logrithmic vs linear.

Actually, it's quadratic. If you double the speed, you quadruple the resistance. Logarithmic would imply a very slow increase of drag with speed.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I really am hoping my tires wear out faster so I can get these as well.

If I did the calculations correctly the difference in overall diameter should be about 1.1 inches.

265/75 vs 265/70 would increase sidewall height approx 14mm. 14mm x 2 with 25.4mm/inch.

http://www.admiralmetals.com/metric_conv.htm

I hope the rear tire holder can accept this and does anyone know yet whether the Montero tire size can be reprogrammed to give correct speed as in the American trucks?

"Drag from the air isn't a big problem at low speeds. However, it has one unsavory characteristic: the force required to overcome air drag rises as the square of the speed. As we saw before, power is force times speed, so the power rises as the CUBE of the speed. In other words, to ride at 20 mph takes eight times as much power as to ride at 10 mph. To ride at 30 mph takes 64 times as much energy as 10 mph."
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I just purchased 4 new tires, left the spare as is, so I don't know if the spare tire cover will accommodate a 265/75 size. I haven't adjusted the speedo/odo yet. Is this expensive? BTW, I purchased the car with Mitsu financing, 4.9%.
    I mean, out of reading these reports and test driving one for a weekend via a car rental agency I don't think that you should buy this because of its lackluster performance. There are better vehicles out there like the Dodge Durango with 2 V8 engine choices and a 3rd row of seats. It is getting redesigned this year or in 2003 I think so a good think just got better (hopefully.)
    I hauled around all my children and while it did have decent passing power I would usually have to floor the accelerator if I wanted to quickly pass another slow car or zip into a spot in traffic. I averaged 13mpg because of this!!! But on a good note the 5-speed auto in my test limited performed very well. Its performance couldn't make up for the montero's lack of muscle though!
    YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THIS IS A 4,600 LB PLUS!! A 200HP MOTOR IS NOT GONNA DO IT!! THERE IS SIMPLY TOO MUCH WEIGHT AND NOT ENOUGH MOTOR!!! HOPEFULLY, THERE WILL BE AN ENGINE CHANGE SOON! A HIGH-OUTPUT V8 WOULD BE A NICE EDITION!!!
    THANKS FOR ALL THE RESPONSES TO MY QUESTIONS. THEY HAVE DEFINITELY HELPED! AND ALTHOUGH I LIKE THE MONTERO'S SUSPENSION, TRANNY, AND BRAKES AND STYLING, THIS ALONE DOESN'T OFFSET ITS WEAK ENGINE.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    brillmtb,

Good point! Also, note that the net drag varies directly with the frontal area of the vehicle.

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
    I must be getting too old to handle fast paced driving you you are really one fast dude. Given that I ride a 520 E/XC KTM I think it is the latter.

I have rarely if ever REALLY needed to floor the Montero.

I would think you would steer clear of the Dodge and look more towards the Acura MDX, BMX x5 or Ford Explorer for SUV with more power. The BMW will trounce just about eveything out there (except the WRX but thats a different class). The Ford would have more off road capabilities than the other two. You will probably have to refine what you are looking for, solid construction off road ability or car like handling and then pick. The Montero would be a better choice for serious off roading (in luxury).
    Ok, maybe I drive a little more than the speed limit but hey, remember I had the montero packed to the gills with people and cargo! Remember, I need an off-road vehicle and one that can tow a lot of water crafts! The bmw and the Mdx while luxurious aren't capable of such talk! The bmw maybe, but then again it isn't a big off-roader! The same goes with the Mdx, it is just a suv based off of a minivan and the max towing is 3,500lbs! Well, 4,500lbs for boats and that is without people or cargo!

And although the Durango maybe a "gas pig" with the 5.9liter V8 it has 110 more lb feet of torque(345 hop compared to 235hp) than the montero has! And 45 more horsepower than the montero (245hp to 200hp)! It is also lighter. Translation; a faster, quicker vehicle.

I have never been a fan of Ford so I would doubt that I would look at an explorer. The mountaineer is more appealing so I might consider that but it is still a Ford!

The montero is still a smooth vehicle and I like it but with all the hauling around I do I doubt that it can match my specifications. But the engine is smooth as glass and the tranny was very refined. But I need more of a working engine. I might be looking next at a Mercedes ML500 with its powerful 5.0 liter V8.

Overall, the montero is an exceptional vehicle but if it wants to compete with the big boys then it needs some strong power to back up its aggressive looks! Mind you that the Durango is a compact suv and has more engine than the montero which is a large suv. the montero is supposed to be a larger vehicle, the class it is in I mean.

So, tell Mitsubishi to pack the montero with more punch and only then will it be first on my list.
    I would agree with you that the perfect combo of torque/hp, capabilites is not out there yet. There is hope that the Montero is going to a larger engine next year but I fear it will be too underpowered for the towing issue we are talking about.

I would just have to diverge a little with you on the power for normal and even sporty driving with people in all the seats. I think there is plenty of power to move this SUV in a respectable and safe fashion even with only 200hp. I only complain about the drop when towing.

I think that it is very difficult to set up a strong off road SUV that also gets car-like performance. Something just has to give. The suspension has to be much firmer, the ground clearence lower, tires lower profile, engine cam hitting power in a different range than what you would want for off roading, etc etc etc. Its tough to please all of us but its nice that they are trying
    Umm.. I don't think so!

I had a Durango before the Monty. In short.. the Durango was Crap. I had it for 60,000 miles and couldn't wait to unload it. I've had my Monty for almost 60K now and I've never regreted the purchase. My opinions are based on long term ownership NOT a weekend rental.

There is not ONE aspect of the Durango where I could say it had any Quality advantage. Not one. The thing was in a word...Cheap. Fit and finish was awful and the Paint literally would chip from bugs hitting the front of the Hood. I've been using a Professional detailer for years and he said he'd never seen a less durable factory paint job. The added hp didn't make up for the short comings and I never logged over 16mpg either.

BTW.. you listed the 3rd seat in the Durango as an advantage over the Monty. Third row comes STANDARD with the Monty. You must have missed it. It's folded under the rear floor. The rental agency could have removed it. The Durango (optional) 3rd seat is not removable allowing for added cargo space and not buying the D's 3rd row doesn't increase cargo space either.

The Durango only has ONE advantage and I don't miss the hp I gave up with the Montereo.

Drew
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    I finally tried towing my boat (about 4,000lb total, including trailer))about 200 miles with my 2001 Montero Ltd. with the 5 speed "Sport Shift". I had substantual hills and it was worse than anticipated, like 35 mph @ 4,0000 rpm bad on a 60 mph highway bad. I must say the 5 speed "Sport Shift" was the only thing that made things 1/2 bearable. I never went to 5th gear and keep the rpm minimum to 2800 rpm.
    Flat ground was O.K. but the hills were a killer. Also remembered keep it in all wheel drive, as required per the manual. This rig would be great with 40-50 more HP and more torque.

I cannot even imagine towing a 5,000 lbs trailer in any king hilly area.
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    The bottom 1/3 of my plastic shroud directing air flow through my radiator fell off for no apparent reason. The engine fan would hit it, primarily when turning? I though my power steering pump was disintegrating. Anybody else have this problem? I have had some warranty items replaced, like the power steering reservoir and they may have forgot and bolt or screw.
    I already knew the dodge had a 3rd row of seats! I am just comparing the relative sizes of the 2 vehicles in question! The dodge is a compact and the montero is a full-size!
    I thought you had commented in your original post something about the Montero NOT having a 3rd seat where the Durango does have one. I probably miss read.

LOL.. but you missed my comments too. Of course you knew the D has a 3rd seat. My comments never suggested you didn't.

Good Luck in whatever you decide. FWIW.. to be fair.. the Durango is a better vehicle now than what it was when I had mine. I'd still never buy one again though.

Drew
    Exactly the same thing that happened to me. Fan was hitting shroud. All fasteners had not been replaced when radiator was changed out under recall.
  • marcapariciomarcaparicio Member Posts: 1
    yours might be defect??? email me about it. marcaparicio@yahoo.com
  • maroon01montymaroon01monty Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys.. Proud owner of a 2001 Monty Limited here. Thanks to you guys I have had all of the recalls completed. No other issues with the Monty except there now appears to be rust??? building up under the plastic trim between the wheel housing and the rear body wall (I will try to take a pic this weekend to show the exact location). Local dealer has agreed to replace/paint as necessary since I am still less than 36K miles. Has anyone else noted this rust? Also, has anyone purchased an extended warranty on their Monty? If so, would you recommend. I have about 700 more mile to go before I hit 36,000 and need to decide by then. Any thoughts on extended warr. would be appreciated.
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    you gotta be nuts to think that way... my old 88 montero had better build quality than the durango... one thing i notice about the durango is its bumper/body gaps... worse than my used montero/ raider now thats bad... and the interior materials quality... worse than any SUV maericans make... on par with kia sportage... now this is a 30k+ vehicle we are talking about...not 15k (for those who say you can get a durango for 25k... show me one on the road for 25k ost you see are fully loaded v8 durango with the works) I no longer own my monty but have a 96 LC (232hp and heavy, so yeah it is slower than other newer SUV's but the point to the LC and the Monty is the offroad ability (multiple first place paris dakar and other off road rallies) now I'm not talking baja races where the only thing the race truck has in common with theproduction trruck is the painted on headlights... im talking modified/ stripped versions running thousands of miles through all climates. and one more thing.... is there any country other than US that uses american SUVs to do real truck work? NO you only see nissan patrol/ Toyo LC/ 4runner open top/ land rover defender/ Montero/unimog/ Gwagen.... No Grand cherokee/ explorer/ expedition/ jimmy/envoy/durango/x5/ML/mdx/rendevous etc

now seeing that americans who have these mondo SUV's dont even know how to fold the seats down to carry more groceries... thus the ford power third row.... I can understand why explorers outsell any other truck on the market... but the image thing that ford (ford outfitters... for your next adventure to costco...drive a ford truck) and other companies conjure up... its total bs knowing that most people get SUVs because they dont want to be labeled as soccer mom types with minivans....these people prob dont even know how to shift a lever... thus pushbutton wussy 4wd

i know i may seem a hippocrite: i have a TLC but its too expensive to actually go 4wheeling... it was bought for the presitge... my father bought it in his midlife crisis... (choice was between a 96 monty loaded or a 96 TLC loaded 45k vs 52k... he bought the more expensive one) I love both trucks... at least they are real and have a history...legacy.... proven track record
    I'm confused, you complained about so many SUV's not being built for Serious Off Roading and Soccer Mom's not wanting the Mini van? But you said your TLC is too expensive for Off Roading and was purchased for "Presige"? Wow. LOL

Hey.. it's fine with me. I have absolutely NO problem with why someone buys any vehicle they want. It's a free market and why the U.S. is such a great place. If you want the TLC for Presige GO for it and congratulations on your ability to make the purchase. Or .. your fathers anyway.

I love one of the new Ad's for the New H2..."Perfect for RUGBY Mom's". God I love this country! My Monty doesn't get much off road experience. I wanted it for the cargo and weight capacity as well as traction in the snow. I load up and drive long distances for my business. I never want to be grounded by a snow storm.

I do agree on the Durango comments. Like I've said, I was happy to get rid of mine.

Drew
    i actually used my old monty off road (no not on dirt roads... really offroad like hillclimb/ dirt trails through a park type deals)... and i cant wait untill the tlc depreciates enough so that it would be justifiable to thrash it offroad...
    TLC was bought as a trophy truck yes... but It got used and serves its purpose when 36 inches of snow falls in 1 day here in rochester. now SUV's for snow in virginia... that is hardly justifiable... my .02
    I just spent 4 days in Big Bend Park in south Texas with my Monty. I also own a 99 Isuzu Trooper Ltd. I am a big Trooper fan as well and have spent a decent amount of time driving across the country and on primitive roads with my Trooper.

For those of you interested in the bottom line, the Monty blew me away on this trip! I drove on the highways at about 80mph, and it is the most comfortable vehicle I have ever driven for 10 hours at a time. I'd say that it is more comfortable than some Lexus's, BMW's and Mercedes Benz's I've spent time in. It didn't feel "underpowered" out on the open roads, and was eager to pass people at 70mph+. This is a vehicle I can live in, which I did!

We got to Big Bend park, where the temperature in the desert was 109 Fahrenheit. The inside of the Monty was a nice 75 degrees, thanks to the killer ac climate control! My Trooper falls short in the AC department. The Monty never faltered in driving around the desert for 8-10 hours a day.

For driving over miles of washboard surface the Monty rides much better and is much more stable than the Trooper. I was going around 40mph down endless miles of these maintained dirt roads and sliding around turns. The slides were always predictable and there was very little tendency to fishtail. My Trooper tends to get difficult to steer when doing the same thing.

For driving over deeply rutted and rocky unmaintained roads and hills, the Montero was like a mountain goat! It has better accelerator "toe in" than my Trooper. This becomes really useful when you are trying to inch your way up boulder strewn hills. The 4-wheel drive works perfectly (IMHO) and and the LSD works well! My Trooper's LSD is pretty weak (my biggest complaint with the Troop).

For storage of gear, the Monty is also great. What I learned out there was that these trails are cut pretty much for the width of Jeeps, 4 Runners, Troopers and Pathfinder class SUV's. I would NEVER attempt much backcountry in a Suburban, Expedition, Escalade size SUV. If you buy one of those, you are pretty much buying an open road vehicle with lots of space. Just don't expect to be able to get out into the middle of nowhere in them..:) I also felt that I would not have attempted some of these trails had I been in one of the new Ford Explorers..the suspension would have bottomed out over a lot of the rocks and ruts.

Anyway, the above are just my humble opinions, I just hope that if there is anyone out there considering purchasing a new SUV some of the info above may be useful!
    It is so nice to see a LandCrusier owner complimenting the Montero on this board. I consider the TLC to be the gold standard of off road luxury (and capability). I think the Monte may build a reputation near that of the LC if this roll over thing settles down to where it should be.

Just back from Motorcycle trip. Pulled trailer and bikes at about 2000lbs. Wow, what a difference between this and 3300lb trailer which has a tall front face. No mileage difference with the motorcycles at 2000lbs and the rig by itself for the most part. Really illustrated the wind resistance point to me. The motor handled the weight just fine even up mountain roads. Seems like a boat in this range would not be a problem either.

I changed my axle fluids a little early. Found out that a "transmission fluid change" really is only 4 out of 16 quarts. Seems that the draining of the tranny only gets this much fluid out unless you do the $175 job of blowing all the fluid out. Not sure if I will just wait a little longer and do that vs draining a little tranny fluid from here on out with every other oil change.

Any thoughts?
    Hey.. i'm not arguing with you. I'm just pointing out a contridiction in a statement that you yourself admitted to.

And.... I'll go a bit further to point out another one, LOL.. at the risk of being Flamed.

If someone has a negative opinion of people (ie soccer mom's) buying SUV's only for on road driving..What is the thought process of paying the full amount on a "New" TLC to only drive on road while waiting for the time when it has depreciated enough to justify taking it off road? Why not just buy a slightly used "Depreciated" one now and take it off road now if that's the intention? Seems to be a great way to save many thousands of dollars to me. :)

Hey.. I'm just having fun and hope I'm not creating a "Riff" here. The only point I wanted to get across is that I don't like the current Popular Opinions that are critical of people buying SUV's to drive around town. It a free country and I support people buying what the want without having to endure criticism about it. Your in that category if you think about it and.. you bought a Great Vehicle that I'd never be critical of no matter what you use it for. :)

Enjoy the Ride.
    Drew
    you see... the TLC hold value VERY well... so I might never feel like driving it off road... j/k... one thing about the monty and most owners would admit... is lack of resale value....

the LC only gets used in incliment weather... people hauling on Long distance trips...Cargo hauling that our 2 hatchbacks (both hyundai's cant handle..) othewise... We have an Accent hatch (105k) Elantra GT (mine) Elantra GLS, and another trophy car... XJR... which only gets used for weddings or nights out with the fam or some other formal occaisions... otherwise the three hyundais it is and thats why I feel other people are wasteful when they drive SUVs everywhere...

True they might no have the luxury of owning more than one or two cars... but when most of the tasks can be accomplished by a minivan or hatchback... it seems stupid to me... but this is a free country and I respect that I just have opinions...most of these soccer moms and dads get these brand new SUVs and dont even know how to fold the seats to get all their groceries in...thats the thing that really irks me... it shows they buy the SUV not because they need one but that its the IN thing to do...

and I dont think this conversationis creating a rift but it is a dialogue between people who have their own opinions and are exchanging reasons in a free environment... very stimulating....
    Yes but it seems like your doing exactly what "irks" you. LOL That's what is making me smile. :)

I don't think it should "irk" you or anyone else. Remember Peter Fonda when he was Preaching against Gun ownership.. then one day the police showed up due to an apparant break-in at their home... they answered the door with their Guns in hand. ;)

drew
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Glad to see you found the I don't like SUVs, why do you? discussion. Fresh views are always appreciated in there.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I have no interest in arguing with those people. I respect they don't like SUV's. I don't respect their contempt for people who do.

drew
  • pushiepushie Member Posts: 2
    I need some advice regarding installing TV monitors into the front headrests. I'm ready for a DVD system and know that some of you have gone for the ceiling installation but I don't want that.
    These are the problems I've experienced:-
    Apparently it is difficult and costly to install the monitors into the 2001 headrests as they have a hole in the middle.
    Mitsu parts do not sell a LEATHER front seat headrest without the hole. (The 1998 headrest is available but it may not fit, and the filled in headrest for 2001 comes in cloth)
    It seems like my only option is paying extra to have the work done on the existing headrests, or even buying the fabric ones and getting them leather upholstered.
    Has anyone out there have any experience or a good workaround this problem?
    Thanks.
  • amers2amers2 Member Posts: 6
    I have 2 5" tv's installed in the headrests of my 2001 Montero. I purchased the middle row headrests for a 2002 Montero to put tv's into because they are bigger than the middle row headrests of the 2001 Montero. The only problem is getting the monitors to be completely flush against the headrests. They still look nice though. Hope this helps.
  • basketballkidbasketballkid Member Posts: 25
    What do you guys think I should expect to pay for a 2001 Montero Limited with only 200 miles. It's being sold by a dealer? I want to make sure I get a good deal.

Regards,
    Phil