Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Now back to the regularly scheduled confusion around here, LOL.

Steve, Host
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    But, you're so very generous to point out that link. Don't get too angry now.

I'm not the least bit angry. You are completely free, however, to follow the link! :-)

tidester, host
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    You know you have a great site when not one but two hosts are jumping in.

Hey, if you really want to have fun just go over to the Sequoia site and even mention that you dont like the color schemes and watch them tear you a new one.....Phonos can probably rememeber the time.....LOL

I was over at Toyota looking at the new 4 runner (and only if it were bigger and cost less) and mentioned to the sales person what an amazingly loyal group the Toyota owners are, to the point of being delusional. Funny thing is he agreed. Even more funny is that he complimented my Montero.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    So far all your post is about plastic skid-plate and how an independence suspension is not good off-road... how the 4Runner is better built... and some magazine does not rate it highly.... Just park your 4Runner next to a Montero, leave the name plate aside and judge for yourself which one is better built, requires more engineering. Rent one, take a drive, see what it can do!
    As for 4Wheeler and Peterson magazine, their focus is to sell you after market parts so you can transform your truck in to a plethora of metal bars. I viewed the Montero as a family transportation with off-road capability that get us places. Comfort, refinement, space is the strength of the Montero over the 4Runner, IMO. If you want to prove that your 4Runner has better capability then the Montero, enter it in a Paris -Darkar race.
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    back in Nepal, I had a 2001 Pajero turbo disel, took it to all sort of off-roading and the car never stuck or gave up. In fact, it was as good as my dad's landcruiser, plus my pajero had height adjustment suspension, I could switch between low,medium and high so when doing some rock crawling in mountains just switch to high and ready to go anywhere. I have seen the montero over here in U.S. and found it's not as good as the pajero sold in other regions but definetly a capable vechile for U.S. offroading.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    It is meaningless for US. For crying out loud, the Mercedes ML even competes (and won i think) the Paris-Dakar races. And you know how well the ML is in off-roading!

The off-roading magazines have annual SUV of the year competition...take a look for yourself. It is like any other magazines.

Like i said, take a look at a 3rd gen 4runner (1996-2002)...take a peek underneath. Superbly built. Look at the suspension. Look at the ground clearance with excellent approach/breakover/departure angles.

Also, RE-read my Post 2212. You haven't answered any of my questions.

Thanks.
    The Montero and Pajero are essentially identical at this time. The Pajero is still offered in direct inject versions, diesel and has a nice DVD nav system. Some I think still can be obtained with lockable rear end. I picked up the information when I was in Europe a couple of years ago.

The diesel would be a nice option but our fuel in the US contains too much sulfur for the higher tech injection systems.

Mitsubishi is a leader in technology and I did not realize this until my brother in law who is in a high tech field pointed this out and I looked at thier web site, heard what they have develped, etc. When I was growing up they did not have a great rep but thats when everyone wanted large block V8's and in reality they were not made any better.

I have not seen anything to date that says the Montero is made cheaply, in fact, just the oppisite.

Some companies make small interval changes like Toyota, Dodge, Ford to a great degree an others tend to take more chances with technology that comes with increased risk. Toyota put a VSC system on the street earlier but Mitsubishi had it developed long ago.
    Intmed, this is a great race and the Monteros always do very well. My KTM motorcycle, probably one of the best built bikes, made in Austria also does well in this race and others like it.

I would guess that the majority of vehicles are all independent suspension as well

By the way, my friend came by last night on his way through town, he has a newer 4 runner. He likes the quality but does not like the stiff ride. Compared with my Montero and the JGC he really thinks his truck is uncomfortable. That comes directly from the owner.
  • intmed99intmed99 Member Posts: 485
    Let me ask you this: how many Land Rover (Disco, Defender), Mercedes G500, Jeep Wranglers, etc. are seen in the Dakar races?? Would you call these vehicles bad off-roaders simply because they don't compete?? Again, Mercedes ML competes...enough said.

Dakar is basically a high-speed desert race of some sort. Suspension travel is not important. All you need is to have a light vehicle (thus, MOSTLY 2-DOOR MONTEROS), with a lightweight body (unibody) and lightweight suspension (independent). Weight is the MAIN thing in these competitions.
    Being in the race doesnt make your vehicle better, I didnt mean to imply this. But it shows how well built and capable the Montero is.
    Bridgestone Revo A/T 265/75-16 installed and what a difference. Sidewall on OEM is like paper and probable reason for soft handling.

The new tires are far more aggressive yet just as quite or better, smooth, and boy what a handling difference and I only have them at 34psi, could go to 45psi.

Now I know the guy at Tire Rack was dead on when he thought the Montero handling would be greatly aided by tires that match the weight a little better.

My fathers friend stayed last night on his way through. He has a newer 4 runner and is happy with it but states the ride is too stiff. My father has the gjc 00 model year with the up country suspension and it is too soft for me. The Montero with my OME springs, shocks and new tires is just about perfect now. I would like adjustable shocks but not available everywhere I have looked so far.
    Pajero is in the top three spots but here is the rest of the competition.

Ford
    Nissan
    Honda
    Toyota
    Volkswagen
    BMW
    Mercedes
    Chevy

Yes, Intmed, these guys think it is worth while to put thier products to the test in this race. The Pajeros and KTM's seem to clean up.....yeah!!!
  • pathfinder13pathfinder13 Member Posts: 110
    magazines right! How can someone say that 4runner is better than Montero? What makes 4runner ahead of Montero? Why people are comparing so much when both vechiles are capable? Those who thinks 4runner is better or Montero should take off roading side by side and see which one is better. What makes HP so important for suv, I thought it was all about torque when doing off roading. Plus, it doesn't matter what brand you're driving, it's all gotta do with the driver knowledge and skills right.
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    I had brought this up before but I am really interested if any other Montero owner is having problems with their chrome wheels?

It appears that the coat on the wheels wears off very quickly and the wheels are getting a lot of corrosion marks. Most prominent is the center of the wheel where the axles meet the wheel surfaces. The inner side of the wheels really show the corrosion.

It is bad enough the the Mitsu district rep will be looking next week at the wheels for possible replacement.

I suspect that the winter salt had something to do with it also. My Montero only has 24,000 miles on it.
    No problem with my wheels at 41K but I am on the West Coast, no salt and I only use mild soap on wheels due to some of the tire cleaners having a mild acid in them.
    Opening Fishing Day excitement, snow, fish, mud, river crossings, rocky trails.....what more could I ask for.

The tires are unbelieveable. Couldnt even begin to get the Montero stuck in 10 inches of mud. You can feel the difference between center lock and unlocked with the locked condition being much more controllable in very slippery conditions. Otherwise you can get the back to slide just a little before the front pulls strong. Just a 1.4 turn or less and the rear kicked out and started to slide on the one slope I was on. With center locked you could just punch it and go straight every time.

Sure like that ability to lock things up and I would have never believed that an A/T pattern would help this much and even in mud.
  • macnitemacnite Member Posts: 1
    Guess I am just a "basic user" who has 63K miles a year and a half later. First thing I changed out were the Yoko tires for Michelin cross terrain 16" and that made the 30K new miles a pleasure on or off road.
    Travelled alot in the vehicle and found it very comfortable under all conditions. From what I found in the market, it was the best deal I could make for a SUV that size. Could sell it today(even with more miles) for close to what I gave for it.
    Only thing I would ask for is a little larger power plant, back up warning indicators(cause of tire mounting) and auto rear windows.
    With new rotors and pads, will just "keep on trucking" in comfort.
    Mac
  • calif5150calif5150 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 01 Montero Limited with the 5 speed/sport mode transmission. I'm going to be hauling a small tent trailer behind the Montero. I'm WELL within the max weight allowed for towing, CGVW, etc. I'll be using electric brakes, proper tounge weight, etc, etc. My questions are:

1. You're not supposed to tow in overdrive. But the Limited has only one forward selection and that is DRIVE. I suppose I could use the manual shift, but that just seems like a pain in the neck. Does anyone have any experience on this?

2. Does anyone tow up in the mountains? If so, how's the 01's (or 02's) uphill speed. With the V6 I don't expect to be flying up the hill, but I am hoping for speeds better that 30 mph.

Thanks for your help.

• rs_rogers1rs_rogers1 Member Posts: 6
    Have not posted to this forum in a year or so. Have 27.7k on my 2001 Monty Limited now. Overall, it's been a very nice truck - on road and off.

Did have a problem just recently - the reason for my re-visiting this forum. The Miles to Empty display got stuck the other day and would not reset to any higher than 70 miles. Thanks to those who posted their solutions to this problem, I was albe to reset it myself. I unhooked the battery for about an hour. May not have been the best method, but it worked.

I love this truck, but I do wish it had just slightly more storage space with the 3rd row seat up. I have 3 small kids now - I only had one when I purchased this Monty in June 2001. So, I'm really looking for ways to squeeze more space into this thing now. A split 3rd row bench would really be nice...and let a stroller be stored back there with one-half of the 3rd row up. Anyone have any experience with roof top storage boxes (Yakima, Thule...) for travel with their Monty? Was wondering how they might affect stability and MPG.

As for MPG, I am very satisfied. I average a little better than 16 mpg and consistantly get 20+ mpg (23 MPG max) on the highway at 70-75mph. I have run Amsoil 5W-30 oil since it was nearly new, if that makes any difference.

Going to need new tires soon. Will have to look into other choices besides the Yoko Geolanders.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    >>I had brought this up before but I am really interested if any other Montero owner is having problems with their chrome wheels?<<

YES.. I mentioned my problem a few weeks ago actually. I have been getting a Pitting type corrosion.

I have mine detailed about 4 times per year, noticed the problem then had it detailed again. The wheels turned out okay but the corrosion appeared again the next day!!!

I have not adressed the problem with the dealer yet. I have 74K on mine now so I'm guessing I'll have a tough time getting any replacement now. I don't even wanna think what replacements will cost me.

It's for sale here soon so I'll just do my best to keep the wheels looking acceptable.

Drew
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    First of all,thanks for the help.

Did you purchase directly from ARB? If not, do you have a contact in your area that I could call? ARB's recommended and listed dealer in my area, "Can sell me the(wrong and wants to argue)parts. . .", and, "can't install. . . only works on Jeeps", after I received a reply on whom to contact from ARB.
  • seminole3seminole3 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 Montero Limited - 33k. I am hearing a single "click" or "tick" after going forward (after having been at a stop). It sounds like something possibly in the transmission linkage (but the vehicle shifts fine and the "click" or "tick" is not happening in the process of shifting gears). It sounds more like something in the brake system "disengaging" and making a noise. The noise is definitely coming from underneath the suv and possibly more from the rear. But if it is something in the brakes, the thing that baffles me is that it's not happening the instant I start forward, it is after 20-30 feet. Any suggestions...
    I went through ARB in Seattle and I think I put a post back a while.

There are several spring packages, I went with the next one up if you will. There is a stouter front spring if you will be hanging on a larger bumper and winch. The ride is approx 1.5 - 2 inches higher in the front after breakin and 2-3 in the rear. I would prefer a stiffer rate on the struts or adjustablility but after adding this kit and some 6 ply tires this rig is taller and much better handling. Most of the slop is out and my ground clearence is near 12 inches now. I spent some time off roading on a recent fishing trip in the snow and mud and just had a great time. This was in an area where some of the 4wd pickups were sweating it a little.

Let me know if you cant find the Seattle ARB and I will help you.
    Hi again Brill.

Contacted ARB in Washington. The western regional Sales Manager recommended I go with the medium rate springs, as, I take it, you did.

From what he said, the rear medium rate springs have a longer free-length (unloaded vehicle) than the high rate springs. This means that unloaded the rear is slightly higher than the front -- on a rake, yes? He indicated this is OK because loaded the vehicle will ride about level.

Further, he indicated, the high rate springs (front and rear), because they don't compress as much, will keep the vehicle, more or less, level at all times -- loaded or unloaded. If the high rate springs are installed in the front, you must go with the high rate rear or else the front will ride higher than the rear when loaded ("reverse rake", an undesiriable driving condition).

Sounds like you're really happy with the new set-up. Do you think if you had it to do over again you might go with the high rate springs?
  • dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.asp

2002 Mitsubishi Montero 4D Sport Utility

Stock Number: 1809392
    Exterior Color: Silver
    Interior Color: Gray Cloth
    Mileage: 15K

No Haggle Price: $19,998*

• dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    Sorry the Carmax link does not work. Use the stock number #1809392 to view this Montero. It has no body cladding, no alloy wheels and no tinted glass. I did not think Mitsu made a stripper Monty!
    If by high rate he means these are the Old Man EMu springs that are two steps up then I would agree that the first step up is the way to go.

I have been very happy and any stiffer spring without added vehicle weight would be too much. I do wish for a better shock, adjustable perhaps, but there are none available to my knowledge.

My rake is higher in the back and the beauty with the Montero is that they have a better weight carring capacity in stock form then say a 4 Runner and with the new springs I can tow much better and the ride with hundreds of pounds in the back is better than stock.

Be sure to break in the springs for say 500 miles then get a four wheel alignment. If you have the money do the alignment after bouncing around on the new springs for say 100miles then have it rechecked. They do settle down so work them in.

An 1/8th inch toe in being off can be equal to driving for 67 feet with the tire sideways so lifting without adjusting can result in premature tire wear.
    Thanks, Brill, that's a correct interpretation of what I was asking. I'll order the medium rate (one step up) springs and shocks this week.

A mechanic friend (training certifications from Honda and BMW) said not to worry about installation as it is pretty straight forward -- he could do it when he has time in a couple of weeks. He said he could probably do the alignment as well.

Thanks again for the helpful info.
    Putting the springs in should not be a problem at all for a mechanic with good tools and jack stands. I would have done it myself but didnt have the time. The Montero is very easy to work on in this respect. There is a significant amount of adjustments that the Montero has front and rear so alignment is the only thing that needs a well trained individual.

Good luck. I just love the new look with the higher lift, A/T tires, etc. It is just right, doesnt look like some jacked up 4wd but definitely looks (as is) more capable than stock.
  • vetmed3vetmed3 Member Posts: 38
    I haven't heard anything about replaceing my wheels yet as the rep hasn't seen the pitting yet.

However, I just found my driver's side door has a crack in it where the door stop enters the door.
     It makes a distinct click when you open the door and the can see the crack open and close under the stress of the door opening. The dealer has never seen anything like it and may have to replace the whole door.

Ther appears to be only two spot welds at the entry point and they have pulled away. I checked a new "03" XLS and the door appears to have three spot welds.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I replaced the stock Geo's w/ the AT II in 265/75/16, and while I noticed slightly more road noise when initially installed, after 8k miles they're now almost unbearable on the highway. What happened? I recently got it aligned, but no change. Is there anything I can try? Rotation (which direction), balancing, etc, or am I stuck with the noise until these tires wear out? Thanks for any help.
  • hope9811hope9811 Member Posts: 10
    Hi. I am brand new to this group, but impressed with the 2001 Montero Limited (72000 miles $17000)that I drove today and hoping for some input from all of you that currently own them. :-)

I am a Nissan Maxima owner and have loved this outfit. However, the third seat option for shuffling kids is appealing to me plus they are a nice looking outfit that is not at every stop light in town. My Maxima has 130,000 miles on it and I have NEVER touched it except for gas, oil changes, tires, brakes and a routine tranny flush. I am looking for a vehicle just as reliable as my Maxima has been. I currently have 2 children and am on a limited budget which is why when I invest in an outfit, I hope to find a good reliable one I can drive for many years like my Maxima. I'm hoping the Montero might be it. <grin>

Those of you who own Monteros, have you had any mechanical problems that you have had to invest in? I was a little overwhelmed at the 2500 responses on this board and was hoping for a more condensed version without having to read for hours everyone's messages. I hope you can help me. I really enjoyed the look, feel, and ride of the Montero today and am hoping you can shed some light on these for me.

Thank you so much!
  • shinichi2002shinichi2002 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone use a '03 Montero XLS to tow a boat with? I have a 19ft.CC. BMT of around 3000-32000 without supplies. Atlanta to the coast is pretty flat, but just wondering about tow experience with the Pajero.
    Thanks
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    The more condensed version from here is pretty simple. No one here has really reported much in the way of problems, break downs or quality concerns.

I will say this however, the number of Service Bulletins on the '01 Montero is a bit disconcerting. It is a rather long list. Even so, the chances are fairly good that you'd be happy with it but if they have an '02 for sale, you may want to consider that.

Good Luck
    Drew
    Where do I find this list of service bulletins? I live 50 miles from the nearest dealer, so this could be a very BIG problem for me if I have to have it into the dealer often....

Thanks!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Edmunds Maintenance Guide, alldata.com and the NHTSA all list TSB summaries for most models.

If you need the full text of a particular one, ask your dealer or see if your local library subscribes to Alldata. Or you can join Alldata for around $20.

Steve, Host
    Diski has it right -- no major problems after 49,000 miles on 2001.

I had (still have, according to wife, but I haven't noticed it after a brake job at 40,000 miles) an annoying squeak in a rear brake. I think it's due to the the material they use for the pads -- had the same problem with '86 Chevy Suburban (asbestos was a lot better, but . . .).

You could probably get all the required TSB's work done at one time by the dealer, if it hasn't already been performed. It might take a couple of days, assuming they have the parts in stock.

Brill, I ordered the OME medium rate springs and OME shocks yesterday from rocky-road.com in Utah. The shocks were $65 each, springs were $59 each. The heavy rate springs are the same price, but I probably won't be adding an ARB bull bar bumper and a winch.
    We are also looking into a 97 Lexes LX 450 or a Land Cruiser 97....I'm going to check those service bulletins too. Thanks!

Any input about the Montero vs LC or LX?
    There really is nothing in the TSB to worry about. There are/were three items that the dealer would fix for free but no recalls or significant saftey isses that I am aware of.

I have had zero problems. I speak to some folks in Austrailia who run Pajeros (our Montero) in much harsher environements and they have no problems.

The issue boils down to how much you want to spend and what role you see this vehicle play.

There is no way you should compare a modern 4wd to a car. They are too different. The LC is a great vehicle but may cost you more than you want to spend. I would not count on using the rear seats in anything smaller than a Suburban or van to routinely carry passengers, just too small.

To be honest it really doesnt sound like you need a rugged off road premium SUV like a Montero. A nice van would probably make you happier. Better mileage, more passenger space, etc.
    Thanks for the input. The reason we are looking into a SUV is because we live where we get some really bad winters (although this year wasn't - smile) and to make it worse, we live in the country. My front wheel drive car has been ok but only after the snow plows have come through. In shuffling kids to preschool and sports, we need a vehicle with higher clearance and the 4x4 is nice in the snow. We also own a 4x4 truck which is nice, but hubby kinda likes it so that is what he drives. If we didn't live where we did or have the winters like we do, I agree, a van would definitely be better. (specifically for the gas mileage with gas prices rising every day. Ugh!)

We also live near the mountains and do a lot of camping, hiking and fishing both in day trips and over the weekends. We won't pull our camper with this outfit, but for day trips, it would be nice to have the everyone in one vechile (including great grandma) and still be able to go where we need to go to that special fishing hole so....that's why we are looking into a SUV that seats more than 5.

What can I say, these outfits are nice and have the comforts of both worlds. Rugged for the Daddy and just plain nice for the Mommy! Isn't it nice to have options! :-) Besides, if we're going to spend that kind of money, it should be nice to just drive around town too! Just trying to do a little homework so we do buy the best vehicle for our needs. <grin>

Thanks for your input.
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I traded my 2001 Trooper LS in yesterday on a 2001 Montero Ltd w/ 26K on the clock. I put 36k of trouble free miles on the Trooper in a little over 2 years time. I will miss the Trooper but look forward to a rewarding future with the Montero. If Isuzu offered the third row seat here in the US I would still have the Trooper.

By the way, I got $16,500 out of the Trooper (Leather and sunroof) with a cracked windshield (happened last Friday) and a few solid door dings and scratches. And I gave $21,890 for the Montero with brand new floor mats.
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    My latest edition of Four Wheeler is doing a long term test drive on the 2003 XLS Montero. Was very favorable. The new 3.8 motor is a definite improvement over the 3.5. Said it was very smooth and had adequate power. They had put on 6600 miles thus far, and had no problems and was rattle free.
    Was sent to the upper Midwest to do test. Has been through snow, off road, and highway conditions.
    Mileage average 15.1 to date. Best - 21. Worst - 13.
    The things that did not like, was the departure angle is a dismal 18 degrees for off roading. Could cause rear body damage. And said it was kinda pricey at 34,000 MSRP. But, I know that Mitsu is offering a 2000 plus 500 cash incentive right now. I think you could get this model for under 30,000 quite easily. Also did not like the interior lighting. Said it needed the lights to be up high and not down low on the door.
    On road ride was very good. Liked the interior design. And the four wheel drive system worked very well.
    Overall, they were surprised, and liked the vehicle very much. Will see how the test goes.
    Another question.

The new 2004 Galant has the same 3.8 motor that the Montero and Endeavor has, but has some new type of VVT that increases horsepower to 230. Wonder if Mitsu. is going to offer the same design for the Montero and Endeavor. Torque remained the same at 250.
    Whoops!

Made a mistake on the incentive on the XLS Model. It is $3000 + 500 = $3500. Better deal yet.
    If 4wd thought the Montero was kind of pricey at 34K I sure would like to see what they say about other SUVs even close to as well appointed and capable, most are more.
    Hi,
    Does anyone know for sure if the 3000+ rebate or 0.0% financing is an "either or" or can you get both!
    I want one, bad, its starting to hurt. Anyone want a BMW 323?!
    You can only take the rebate or lower interest rate. There was a 500 rebate that you were able to use with the low interest or with the standard rebate. But I am not sure that it is being offered now.
      That is the way it is right now. Things could change and probably will. I have a feeling, eventually, you will be able to get the rebate plus some type of low interest rate. Watch for end of the month deals on the Mitsubishi Web Site. They offered a 0% interest rate the end of last month for 5 days.
      The standard rebate is 3000 for the XLS and 2500 for the Limited and 20th Anniversary Edition.
      I keep hearing this rumor, again, that a V-8 is on the way. Hope this one turns out to be true. I would like one too, but been holding back to see what is going to happen in 2004. Also, considering purchasing a year old 2003 that has been depreciated out. Figured I could get one for 25-28K.
    Hi again,
    Have found a 02 Ltd, blk/tan 26,000miles for $22,600 at a non Mitsu dealer, drove it and it drives nice and tight. Is this a good deal? or should i go new XLS?
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    That sounds like a good deal. I just gave $21,890 for a 01 Montero Ltd with 26k miles. Good luck, keep us posted.
    Used 2002 LTD vs 2003 XLS.

Pluses for 2002 LTD:
    Lower price.
    More Features.

Pluses for 2003 XLS:
    Bigger engine.
    Brand new.
    Longer Ownership Warranty.

If you plan to own this vehicle for less than 3 years, I would buy the 2002 LTD. If it is in your plans to have it longer, I would probably get the 2003. I'm sure you could get a loaded up XLS for under 30,000, if you can find one. Sure it cost 7400 more, but with 26000 miles on the 2002, using the Fed's mileage rate of 36.5 cents per mile, it adds up to about 9500. Another way of looking at the cost of mileage used.
    If you have not done so, I would definitely test drive the 2003. Try to get the unit for at least a half a day. And, if you plan to tow, you really want to look harder at the 2003 model. The 2002 will tow OK, as long as you are not towing a heavy load. The 2003 XLS model does come with the 5-spd auto tranny and 3.8 litre motor.
    Tough decision. Good Luck!