Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    what type of V8 rumors are you hearing???...when, how much HP, how much torque, when, and when???
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    Originally, it was to be a 4.5 litre V-8 about 2 years ago. Have not heard what size on the latest rumor mill. Just that a V-8 was being considered again.
    There are things that can still be done to the 3.8 motor to get more horsepower and torque. Variable timing is one. They did this on the new Galant 3.8 engine, so the horsepower went to 230. Torque stayed the same.
    So, we'll see again what happens.
  • gunn4gunn4 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any information on the 2004 Monteros? Will there be any style or other changes in the 2004 model. When will the 2004 Montero be available. I know the 2004 Endevor is out. I believe the existing body style came out in 2002 so I wonder if they will wait another year before making a body style change? Thank. gunn4
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    2003 20th Anniversary Edition for invoice+$300 @ 0.0% financing for 60 months. Is this a fair price?

Or, invoice+$300 with $3000 rebate?

They said they can't give both 0.0% financing and the $3000 rebate.

Thinking of either trading in the 2001 LTD or keeping it, installing the ARB OME suspension on it, and buying another one for my wife. If I trade it in they said they will, probably, swap my BFG AT KO's for the OEM tires on the new one.
    If you have done so yet, go to People First and use their calculator to determine which is the best option on rebate or 0% financing. It will vary depending on how many months you what to finance for. It will show you the best option when you put all your figures in. Then you will not have to guess.
    Hey, another thing. You might know this, but Mitsu is offering until 6/30 a 7 year/100,000 mile power train warranty as well. A good deal!
    You state the XLS had 24,500 miles on it when you bought it in 2001. How many miles on it now? The shimmy sounds like warped brake rotors. I have the same problem from my '95 Honda, but it has 161,000 miles on it and it just had a brake job about 10,000 miles ago. However, I'd still buy another one -- the most reliable car I've ever owned.

Two points, brake jobs are expensive, especially if the rotor need turning, and sometimes crappy at the dealers, and stuff like tires and brake linings wear out.

Uh, If the '84 had such "awkward problems", why'd you buy another one?

Personally, I'd stay away from a Ford Expedition if you don't want to spend a lot of money and time having things fixed. Third hand information is that they are poor quality and have problems too.
  • roadwarriorjanroadwarriorjan Member Posts: 1
    Good Question..... But i did indeed buy a second one,it will be my last.
  • augravesaugraves Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

New to the message board, please bear with me. I'm in the market for a pre-owned SUV and have come across a 2000 Montero Endeavor for sale, 48k miles, for $17k. Looked very nice, has leather and a sunroof. Unfortunately the dealer had closed and I won't be able to test drive it until Monday. My familiarity with Monteros is limited to the fact that my father used to have a 1987 Montero 2 door, and he put 200k miles on it before giving it away, and the last I heard was that it was still going. I guess I'm just soliciting any comments people might have on the vehicle / year / trim level. Thank you very much for reading.
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I'm not sure what vehicle you are asking about exactly. The Endeavor is a brand new SUV by Mitsushi just released this year. The Montero could either be the Montero or Montero Sport. The price is probably a bit high if either Montero though. Provide some more details after you go back to the dealer.
  • softhds1softhds1 Member Posts: 26
    Can those of you that have already gone through a set of tires tell what you have changed to. I have 31,000 miles on my ltd, am looking for something with a better ride and handling, I dont do any off roading
  • dusterduster Member Posts: 37
    The Endeavor was a package on the 2000 Montero,
    and has nothing to do with the new model.
    You might want to spend a little more and
    buy 2001 Montero XLS model, which is a
    much better design than the old 2000 design.
    This afternoon, traded 2001 LTD for 2003 20th Anniversary Special -- Glacier White.

$17,500 for the 2001 with 52,700 miles (knocked down $625 for miles).

$36,300 + 7.75%tax and $200 license with $0 down, 0.0% financing for 60 months. Refused service contract, or to pay for "paint protection plan". I did, probably stupidly now that I think about it, go for the "depreciation insurance" ($600) on the loan (pays off the loan if the vehicle is "totaled" and worth less than the balance of the loan.

Dealer agree to switch tires with the 2001 next week so I will still have the BFG "D" range 265-75x16 AT-KO's. I may just have them switch both the tires and wheels. I like the 2001 spoke design better.

Monthly payment dropped $200 from what I was paying on the 4.9% 48 month loan on the 2001 which still had about 15 months on it.

Anybody know what the switch on the console with the skidding car is for? Traction control, on-off? Haven't had time to read the Owner's Manual yet.

Change out the springs and shocks to the ARB OME's week after next.

PHOnos
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    Definitely get the 2001 Montero (not Montero Sport) Limited with beige leather. It is a luxurious vehicle and is a HUGE improvement over the 2000 model. Congrats on ur new Monty, phonos
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Sounds nice, tell us about the diff in power?

Ive been off the site for a while. Will be taking delivery of my new Dodge HO diesel tomorrow. Now there should be no power/towing problem. We will definitely be keeping the Montero and will probably sell the cars. May keep one for commuting.

About 50K on my Monte and no problems, no rattles, good mileage, great ride (with the OME springs and shocks), awsome off road ability (nothing stops this rig, except my wife who thinks I wont take it off road...hehehe)
    If it is not too late I will give you a great tire that I am running and it is an "off road" tire but quiter than the stock HT tire and it is an AT tire. The MT's you will not be happy with.

I have the new Bridgestone Revo A/T. I went to a 6 ply tire which meant going to a 265/75-16 from the stock 70 series. this makes the speedometer run 3-4 mph slower and there is no adjustment I can find yet to correct this. the advantages however are unreal.

The 6 ply tightens up the overly soft stock tires very very well and gives this heavy SUV tires that better match its abilities and needs

The tire is quite, very quite for an A/T and better than the Geolander in the HT or AT

The tire wears very well

It handles mud, loose soil and water so much better than the HT that I can leave it in 2wd with the LSD and do things that took 4wd with the stock tires.

The grooves and water handling are so good that you can drive at crazy speeds in a hard rain and not even thing about hydroplaning. At reasonable speeds you cant even tell you are on water.

I am going to put these tires on my new Dodge 4wd HO diesel truck just as fast as I can wear out the stock A/T tires. I wont even look at another tire as I am that happy.
    The Montero engine and transmission combination seem to be better matched.

For those of you in SoCal who are familiar with the stretch of Hwy 60 running from Moreno Valley to its end at the junction with I-10 in Banning through the "badlands" hills, you know this
    is an uphill and downhill left-right back-and-forth curving section of highway with a net gain in altitude eastbound.

In the 2001 I usually down shifted from 5th to 4th and left it in manual for the entire stretch to eliminate the up and down shifting in auto. This weekend I left the transmission in auto and while it did shift up and down with the grades, the shifting was much smoother and less noticeable.

Brill - Good choice on the Dodge Diesel. Half, 3/4, 1-ton? Is it turbo or supercharged. Have a friend who has a slide in cab-over camper in a 3/4 ton. Loves it. Goes up Cajon pass (I-15 L.A.-Vegas) with no problems in high gear.

For those who are thinking about buying -- just got an e-mail from a SoCal dealer with an "internet special on all 2003s in stock". "One dollar ($1) over invoice with $3000 rebate or 5-year financing with zero ($0) down and 0.0% interest. (Damn, should have waited two more weeks, oh well . . .)
    The rebate has been increased by Mitsu. to $3500 until 9/02/03.
  • tagertager Member Posts: 1
    Bought it used (22,00 miles) and am very, very happy with the purchase. We were close to going the minivan route, which I dreaded. It might be tough with three kids, since the third row is kinda small, but the ride and feel of this SUV is a dream. I have read a lot about fuel reccomendations, we filled the first tank up with premium, but I might go low grade to save some bucks, any ideas?
    I always used 87 r+m/2 octane in the 2001 without any problems for 52,000 miles. Plan on using it in the 2003. Mileage may suffer a little but . . .
  • sonja3sonja3 Member Posts: 4
    I love my 2001 Montero. A couple of electrical quirks make me wonder if I should purchase the extended warranty when my 36,000 miles is up in a month or two. any advice or experience?

sonja in l.a.
  • eebk17eebk17 Member Posts: 5
    I am having problem with dealer regarding service of my 2001 Montero. Can anyone help? Any advice is appreciated. I had the front rotors resurfaced and front and rear brake pads replaced in January '03 @ 42K miles. They have squealed ever since. Not every once in a while...all the time. Now they are grabbing and clicking. The dealer says that "all brakes squeal and they have already done too much". They saw it twice! The first time they said nothing was wrong and the second time they sanded something down and painted it with "no squeal". That is when they said they have done to much and will do no more. They are still squealing and now they are clicking and grabbing. A competing dealer states that rotors were not cut deap enough, but that they can't fix for free. Servicing dealer says there is no way for competing dealer to know whether or not rotors were cut properly. Mitsubishi says it's a dealer problem and won't intervene. I know nothing about servicing vehicles. All I know is that my brakes are making me nuts! Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can deal with this other than trading my truck in on something else and suing the servicing dealer?

Any input is appreciated!
    If I recall there is a TSB about using a different shim behind the brake pads. Make sure they did this as the TSB I think was in response to squeeky brakes.
    I went for the Dodge HO 2500 Quad Cab 4wd.

555 ft pounds of torque at something like 1800 rpms. This thing flys past everything uphill short of a sports car and can even give them a run for the money.

Should tow my new, larger trailer like theres nothing back there.

We are not even considering getting rid of our Montero. It is better off road, more comfortable on road, easy to drive and still not a single thing wrong with it at about 50k miles.
    Thanks for the input. Is there any way of knowing from the invoice whether or not they used the correct shim? The dealer refuses to see my truck for this brake issue anymore. I don't know where to turn. Mitsubishi refuses to get involved...the regional service manager hung up on me! I didn't even get to tell him that the service center couldn't do an alignment because they said the "specs were unavailable". The truck's 3 years old! Surely alignment figures are available somewhere. Service center also said that my new brakes squeal more because originals were asbestos lined and new ones aren't. Competing dealer says that is a bunch of crap. Asbestos has been outlawed for some time now. Anyway, seems as though regional service manager and dealer service manager are buddies. Do you know how I can get in touch with someone at Mitsubishi that would give a crap?

P.S. Do you know where I could get more info on the TSB?
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    It is the best truck out there for 2003.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    I'd say you just go to Midas or another speciality shop to fix the brake and perform the alignment. Dealer does not always know what to do. Just find an independence shop and ease your worry. You could fight with the dealer but probably just not worth your time.
    The front brakes from the factory are fiber. That is what the guy meant when he said asbestos. And if metal ones were installed on the front, yes they will click and squeal. The rears are metal.

Sounds like to me they installed an after market pad on the front that do not meet original specs.

My 2 cents worth.
    FWIW:

I heard somewheres that there are new, but probably very expensive, "ceramic" (or ceramic impregnated or something) brake pads coming on the market that do not squeak and squeal like the metal impregnated pads.

If I have the same problem brake noise with the 2003 that I had with the 2001, I will try them.

I hope the 2003 proves to be as reliable as the 2001 and if this is the only problem, I will be more than happy.
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Last summer there was a discussion about whether stock bike racks from Yakima, Thule, etc. would fit in the dealer-installed trailer hitch and would clear the spare tire. I have a 2001 Ltd. with the dealer-installed Class III hitch. If anyone is running bike racks off their hitch, I would very much appreciate any recommendations that you can give for racks that can hold 4 bikes, and whether you need to use an extension to make them clear the spare.
    Thanks to all that responded. I have the competing dealer offering to resurface the front rotors again and replace the front brake pads with ceramic ones for $150. I am going to take him up on his offer.

VIET2, I believe that you are right...a further fight with the dealer is not worth my time. It already hasn't been worth it. I just hate the whole principal of the thing, you know?

Anyway, thanks to all. I hope the $150 fixes the problem because outside of the bad service I've had from the dealers, I love my truck!
    Sorry I didnt get back earlier. Yes, metal pads can sqeek more. Ceramic should not. I never resurface my rotors unless warped (just personal preference). I installed new springs, struts so had to realign and most shops should certainly be able to do this without a problem.

Sorry to hear about your local dealer. It has always been my biggest complaint that the service/dealers of any brand cars dont go far enough to be customer focused. I am going to drive 400miles just to pick up a new RV trailer just because the guy gave me a little better price but is MUCH BETTER in the customer focus area so he is going to get my buisness.
    The 2003 is getting about 14.9 mpg on 87 (r+m)/2 octane with the BFG AT KO tires. I may be running them too soft at 28-30 psig (maximum inflation is 65 psig), but they ride better on the highway.

The 2001 Limited averaged around 17-18 mpg.
    Sounds a little too low on the air. My AT Revos are 6 ply and need about 38 minimum to get proper inflation for highway. I suspect given the 65psi rating that those are 6 ply but also should be up closer to 40psi
  • jim1410jim1410 Member Posts: 1
    I have seen pictures of a new silver 2003 Mitsubishi Montero that was orignally shown at the New York Auto Show by Mitsubishi - which has some cool web wheels and low profile tires. I have seen many different pictures on the internet of this silver factory 2003 Montero sporting this wheel and tire combination.

Here is one example:
    http://www.velocityjrnl.com/jrnl/2003/vmd6478ov.html

Is there any way of ordering a 2003 Montero with these wheels? Is this a special factory upgrade package? Or was this just a special vehicle that Mitsubushi used PR & show purposes?
  • kloepjakloepja Member Posts: 5
    I am/have just purchased a new 2002 Montero Ltd with 200 miles on vehicle. 4x4 all options. We ended up purchasing the vehicle for $28750.00. What have others been paying recently for new 2003 ltd?

My only concern with the vehicle is it pulls to right, the dealership is currently working on the problem, they say it is alignment problem and need to put shims in it to correct the issue. What does this mean? Is this going to be a long term recurring problem? should I be concerned?

Thanks...
    It could be the tires. I have seen some radials that will cause a severe pull one way or the other. It can be reduced by re-aligning, but may come back right away. Have them rotate the tires too and see it that helps before they align it.
  • suepoasuepoa Member Posts: 7
    I recently installed a Hidden Hitch on my 01 Montero for a bike rack. The receiver is flush with the outside edge of the bumper. I bought a Swagman bike rack (one they don't make anymore) and it clears the spare tire with one bike on the outside fastner. If I wanted to put two bikes on I would need the extension I purchased.

I looked long and hard and it appeared most racks would require an extension, unless you want to spend over $300 for your rack. I believe it was Hollywood racks that made one that would clear but it was $300+ for 2 bikes.

I don't live in an area where you can't go down the street and buy anything you want, I rely mostly on the internet so I bought everything at once instead of waiting to see what I actually needed. So my suggestion is buy the rack you want, install it and see what size extension you need, if at all.

I spent $40.00 + shipping for an extension I really don't need since I only haul one bike. Like I said, one bike fits perfect without the extension I can't remember what size extension I bought but my guess is I could have gotten away with a shorter one if I did want to haul two bikes which = less $.

You can always call the manufacturer and ask them the distance from the center of the hitch pin hole to the upright piece of the rack and that would give you an idea of what you need if you are like me and want everything at once so you can use it.

Good Luck.
    (Finally) having the ARB OME Springs and Shocks (bought for the 2001 months ago) installed today with 4-wheel alignment on the 2003 20th Anniversary Special. Try them out in Utah next week and see how they work with the BFG ATs in Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument and Capitol Reef National Park.

Will post how they well they worked in a couple of weeks.
    Welcome to the OME group. I have had mine for sometime now on my 01 and love them. Combined with my 6 ply tire there is a night/day difference. Clearence is exceptional as is the ride. Compared to my 03 Dodge Cummins the Montero is a luxury ride. Dont get me wrong the Dodge is a 3/4 ton truck that performs its purpose flawlessly but the Montero is awsome off road. I think you will love the setup
    I hope the lighted plastic running boards don't get scraped off on a rock. (Or, then again, maybe I do.)

These are about my only complaint with the 2003. They are too narrow to be useful and prevent addition of substantial rocker panel protection.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    I bought one at Pepboy on sale for $99. The rack will carry three bikes, and have enough clearance for the spare tire.
  • counselor2counselor2 Member Posts: 47
    Thanks suepoa and viet2 for your recommendations. I ended up buying a Yakima ROC'NGATE that holds 4 bikes. Very pricey, but the swing-away holder works nicley with the Monte rear door so that you can use the door while the bikes are on the back. Although you don't need a hitch extension to make this rack fit, the vertical steel beam that holds the bikes cants forward ever so slightly and rubs lightly against the spare tire cover. I had mine on for about 2 weeks driving around the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and it did not leave any permanent marks but if I were to leave it on for much longer, I'd wrap some thin rubberized foam around the steel beam to prevent it from scuffing the spare tire cover.

By the way, another awesome family trip in the Monte (2001 Ltd.) Loaded up with two bikes on the roof, three on the rear, luggage box on top, and 5 family members and all their gear inside. Of course it was a bit sluggish on the highway, but who cares? The truck effortlessly handles rough roads and is so comfortable to drive. I'm glad that Land Cruiser owners love their trucks, but I love mine too and I've got $20k more in my pocket because I bought a Monte.
  • kbmortonkbmorton Member Posts: 8
    I am thinking of adding a DVD system to my 2001 Montero. I recently got a quote from a local Audio/Visual store for a system with a cost of $1.800.00. The price included the cost of two front seat headrests with 7" LCD displays mounted on the back plus the player installed under on of the front seats.

My question is, has anyone installed a DVD system in their Montero. If so, what the the cost and were were the components mounted.

Thanks,
    The ARB OME suspension worked great on the trip to Utah. Did the Burr Trail over to the Notom Road in Escalate-Grand Staircase N. M. (saw one other truck for 70 miles) and the Devil's Backbone Road in Dixie N. F. from Escalante to Boulder (2 or 3 other vehicles).

Having one small problem. On the front set-up the installer replaced a rubber thingy that he says was on the OEM set-up between the spring and where the spring "perches" on the shock. When we got home after about 1600 miles, heard a squeak on the right side that turned out to be the rubber had moved slightly and the coil of the spring was slightly in contact with the "purchase" support (on the front right only).

He moved the rubber back in place yesterday and it is fine now. However, when I called ARB they said the spring and shock "purchase" were supposed to be in complete contact, without any "gasket" between. When I asked the installer, he said that would make it real squeaky and the spring would be free to move around even more on the shock "purchase" ledge.

Do you have a thin rubber gasket like "thingy" between the springs and where the spring contacts the shock on the front (left and right), or is there metal to metal contact?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ah, you're making me long for the open road again - did that stretch in the MV in '99 and camped at the border between the parks where the evening entertainment was a big thunderstorm way off to the East. Is there still a big washed out section in the middle where no road agency accepts responsibility? Great looking country around there.

Steve, Host
  • 3toyboy3toyboy Member Posts: 30
    Drove the Burr Trail this past April - WOW. I'll be going back to explore the Waterpocket Fold!

The road was in great shape, could've taken the wife's 2wd sedan through, but one good rainstorm can change all that.

Henry Mountains, Circle Cliffs, Navajo Mountain, Muley Twist Canyon, Hall’s Creek Overlook...let's roll!
    Yea. Awesome territory. My first trip into this area. Next time I'm coming up from the south via Bullfrog Marina Ferry and up through Tickaboo. Want to get over to Moab, Canyonlands and Arches N. P.s.
  • kbmortonkbmorton Member Posts: 8
    Hasn't any other Montero owner ever put a DVD system in their SUV?

Am I asking in vane!!!!

Someone PLEASE let me know.

Thanks,
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There are a few older DVD posts in here - try the Search This Discussion box for them. And check the In-vehicle DVD movie systems discussion for ideas too.

Anyone else?

Steve, Host