Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    I cancelled my appointment with Mitsubishi shop in mid December on the radio/CD static problem, when it disappeared after the nice sunny dry day here today. I have been careful not to get rain or snow on the door speakers and windows up tight when wet. The radio/CD has worked fine since mid December; so, I am convinced it is a moisture related problem as others have experienced. Also, it is not quite out of warranty. I plan to let the dealer know I have an intermittent problem and put it on my maintenance records if replacement required in the future.

Loving my Bridgestone Dueler Revos for the snow & icy roads.
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    We have a '98 Montero (full sized) that we've enjoyed very much. This morning it turned 60K miles. The dealer had been great - until now.

The problem is that the center row, center seatbelt has disintegrated (the male end, not the receiver). Let me just state for the record that I have never in all my years of driving seen a seatbelt malfunction let alone disintegrate like that. On top of that, now the passenger side, center row seatbelt won't retract. For a vehicle that's never been in an accident, this is a problem. Also, the center row, center belt is RARELY, if ever used. Here's the rub that worsens the problem: The dealer says it's a 3/36 item. Mitsubishi and I both say it's 5/60. Then they look up my VIN. Date of service - I'm a couple of days out of service now. When I brought up the problem to them, I wasn't. Mitsubishi says to take it to the dealer and let them look at it. That's tomorrow. I can tell you this: if one of my children gets hurt between now and the time this issue is resolved, it won't be good for the dealer that was trying to weasel out of covering it when I brought it up. I've been fighting with the dealer for months now.

So tomorrow, you'll know if you want to buy another Mitsubishi product or not. I've not talked with anyone else that's had this issue. Anyone? I'll let you all know what happens.
  • cracoviancracovian Member Posts: 337
    Brand new 2003, LTD w/ premium pkg for $28K. Can I do better or is it as low as it gets?
  • tobleronetoblerone Member Posts: 19
    Saturday I trade my once loved, now hated 2001 Mitsubishi Monteron Ltd. in on a Nissan. Good thing Mitsubishi makes a good truck because I would have been in deep trouble with any "real" issues. I have exhausted getting my truck serviced at ALL the Mitsubishi dealerships within driving distance. The ONE that was half way decent STOPPED selling Mitsubishi's late last year. Furthermore, Mitsubishi corporate claimed no control over their dealers and did not want any parts of a warranty dispute. So, now I try Nissan. I am use to Honda service, but they don't have a big enough vehicle!

I used this board before I purchased Mitsubishi and the truck has been good to us, but the dealerships have not. When I think about it, a lot of the posts were form guys in CA that liked to go off-road and fix the truck themselves. So, I'm sure they love it since they don't have to deal with Mitsu. service. If you depend on others, like I do, to fix your truck, RUN THE OTHER WAY!

Now to my question........

Has anyone traded a 2001 Full Size Ltd. recently? I have one with a hitch, running boards, sunroof visor, window visors and hood visor. There is also a brand new, never used set of mats still in the plastic. It has 63,000 miles on it. Anyone, know what I should be getting on trade? 90% of my offers are for $12,500. I have one guy saying up to $14,00, but he won't even guarantee $12,500 and he is 1 1/2 hours away. Any input is appreciated.
    ...is not full-size, last time I checked.

Also, if it's such a wonderful vehicle then what else, except for fluid changes and the timing belt every now and then do you need to service so often? Both can be done at any decent service station.

You either have way too much money to throw away to sell it so early and so cheap or you just wanted a van in the first place and there's nothing wrong with that. No need to blame it on the Mitsu service (or is really the ever smaller dealer network).
    I don't think anyone mentioned it yet but on Jan. 5th Mitsu announced their new and better powertrain warranty applicable to ALL 2004s, even the EVO (10 year/100K miles). Still not as good as my 2002 Trooper but at least there are good chances Mitsubishi will actually stay in business that long :-)

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2004010530337&m- - - - ime=ASC

Any news on when 2004 Monteros will be available?
    Either I'm taking your tone wrong, or you are making a lot of assumptions that you shouldn't.

My dealer did a horrible brake job, if you must know. And refused to make it good.

And when the truck was new, the same dealer broke my roof, when the sunroof got stuck open. Told me I was lucky that they even fixed the roof because it was an aftermarket roof. It was STANDARD. They just didn't know what they were talking about.

Another dealership needed 3+ weeks notice for an oil change.

So, your assumption that I want to throw money away is an uninformed comment. There are many other issues I have had with dealers. If you want details, I would be glad to share with you. But, please don't get obnoxious with me. I want anything but a van, but the van has the room I need!

Another dealer
    Sorry about the tone in my previous posting - I was actually whispering when I wrote it...

1. I'm glad they finally fixed your roof - the whole unpleasant experience is behind you now.

2. Oil changes can be done anywhere, they'll do a decent job, won't void your warranty, and save you some money in the long-run (plus you wouldn't need a 3-week notice)

3. Paying for fixing the brakes yourself now is probably ten times more cost-effective than trading the 2-3-year old truck in and losing so much money in the process.

4. You said yourself you really NEED the room that vans offer.

I still don't see a problem here - unless it's the warranty service you need (and it's always a hit or miss with any brand) I would run away from the dealers to do my scheduled service, not these outstanding vehicles. I don't think Nissan (unless it's Infinity) is going to make you any happier.
  • dcmooredcmoore Member Posts: 14
    Hello--

I'm considering a used 2003 Montero Limited. I previously owned a '99 Isuzu Trooper which I liked a lot. Unfortunately, it was recently totaled in a collision (I walked away without a scratch). I've been looking around in SoCal for used Troopers but haven't seen anything yet that fits what I want in terms of price or mileage, so thought I'd broaden my search to include Monteros because there are so many more of them advertised for sale.

From all the reviews I've read, it sounds like the Montero is right along the lines of what I'm looking for and I'm particularly interested in a 2003 model to get the bigger engine. However, I noticed that Mitsu recommends premium fuel for it. Does anyone know whether the 2003 Montero can get along fine on "regular" unleaded?

I'd also be interested in reading any recommendations you might have regarding whether to go after the 2003 Montero, reliability issues, etc. Thanks!

dcmoore
    Hey, I have a 2002 Trooper LS and I'm also seriously considering adding a 2003 or 2004 Monty to our stable :-)

I think the concensus was that using regular fuel on any pre-2003 was fine though you wouldn't tell that to your dealer.

In 2003 they still state that Premium fuel is 'recommended' (note: not 'required') and due to the increased compression ratio (10:1 from 9:1) on the newer engine, it probably makes a little bit more sense too. I would still think that regular fuel is fine for this gas hog though and wouldn't hesitate to feed it to it myself (especially if I were in Cali!).

P.S. I'm also considering Axiom but I can't find any that's too cheap and I'd have to go all the way to Chicago to get one w/ the good ole' TOD. I saw some used Axiom listings on carsdirect.com today and the pricing was decent. Remember that those things have the beefed up Trooper engine in them and 2004s now got direct injection (250HP and mileage in the 20s on regular) - definitely something to consider...
    First of all, my truck is 4 years old and has 63K miles on it. Not 2-3 years old like you said.

Second of all, I said that these were great trucks. I simply said that service at ALL the dealerships in my area has SUCKED, to say the least. If you don't need the dealers, I would not run from the truck and I think I made that perfectly clear in my previous post. Lighten up. Don't be so defensive. If you get your vehicle serviced without a problem, I am happy for you. That just wasn't my experience with Mitsubishi.
  • softhds1softhds1 Member Posts: 26
    Just my 2 cents worth. I own a 2001 Limited and a 2004 Lexus RX330. The Mitsubishi service department here is so far superior to the Lexus service. I have never had a problem with the service department. I always get a free loaner, even if it is just a oil change. If I had one complaint about the car, it is the poor fuel mileage, about 14 MPG, though no problem using regular. So far, 40,000 miles, one set of brakes, one set of tires last month(which changed the whole handling of the car for the better), 1 radio under warrentee, and that is it. Not a rattle in the car.
  • bldrdrmsbldrdrms Member Posts: 4
    What new tires and size did you buy?
    I just traded my 2001 LTD last night. I would have liked to have been able to keep the truck, but I had lost confidence in the service. I am glad to hear that some of you have had great service from Mitsubishi. You should! I was unable to find the service here that I expect. I am use to my local Honda dealer. And the 4 Mitsubishi dealers I have tried within a 45 mile radius have all SUCKED! We really enjoyed our truck over the past 4 years. Up until January '03 we had a few minor issues with dealer service, but the truck was so reliable we rarely needed the service department. So, it wasn't that big of a deal. In January '03, the dealer replaced the tires and brakes and it was nothing but a nightmare from then on. If you go back through this thread you will see some posts from when the problem was occurring. Nonetheless, my truck was never the same and quickly degraded from then on. It got so bad, we even suspected that they sabotaged our truck. Well, it is time for me to move over to the Nissan board.

I will leave you all with this thought.....

GREAT TRUCK, VERY RELIABLE AND WELL APPOINTED FOR THE PRICE. JUST CHECK INTO LOCAL SERVICE BEFORE YOU SIGN ON THE DOTTED LINE. TALK TO PEOPLE IN PARKING LOTS IN THE AREA THAT YOU LIVE. ASK THEM ABOUT SERVICE. I WISH I HAD! ONCE I HAD MY PROBLEM AND I STARTED TALKING TO PEOPLE IN PARKING LOTS, I LEARNED THAT I WAS NOT THE ONLY ONE THAT HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE LOCAL DEALER. IT WAS A WIDESPREAD PROBLEM. EVERYONE I RAN INTO HAD ISSUES WITH THEM AT ONE POINT AND TIME. IF YOU GET POSITIVE FEEDBACK, THEN GO FOR IT. YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IN THE TRUCK!
    Well, I checked out a loaded 2003 Monty Limited today. It had the third row seat, CD player, leather, the whole nine yards. It had about 13K miles and seemed in excellent condition. It had a clean Carfax report -- first owner registered it for personal use. I walked away from a $25K offer by the dealer when both my wife and I thought there was some more room for maneuvering. Do you think I can get it for much lower?
  • loncato6loncato6 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2003 Montero. Brakes grinding heard
    from the front intermittantly. Steadily got
    worse over a period of 1 year. Dealer says it's
    "brake dust", no problem found, and cleaned out.
    Brake grinding returns (intermittantly--grinding
    noise from the front) after two days.

Anyone had a similar experience?
  • alex9528alex9528 Member Posts: 6
    you did not say how many miles you had on your '03.I heard the same on my '01 after only 23000 miles.put on new pads at the local brake shop and did not have any problems after that.(already going 50k miles) yours may need both pads and rotors since you're still under warranty.
    I saw NEW LTDs with rear air (the only available option) today and I could get them for 28K or less. For some reason the 7/100K powertrain warranty still applied, so that's good. They didn't have too many miles on them (about 400 and more), so your deal would be so so - it's good that you walked away. I will probably have my eyes open and get something this year but not right now (a Montero or an Axiom or maybe even a Legacy).
    hey, I just read on thecarconnection.com ("TCC’s Guide to New ’04 SUVs" - article dated 11/17) that Montero has been discontinued (in N. American market, of course). Hmmm, quite shocking but also highly probable since the dealers haven't gotten any information about 2004 Monteros yet :-(

EDIT1: Or did they really mean Montero Sport which is supposed to be discontinued by 2005 along with Diamante...

EDIT2: Both Monteros are still listed in the "official" lineup, so I don't know anymore...
    http://media.mitsubishicars.com/detail?mid=MIT2003120355470&m- - - - ime=ASC

EDIT3: Quote from mitsu media for the 2004 lineup:

"Montero XLS and Montero Limited are both powered by a 3.8-liter, SOHC, 24-valve V6 engine that delivers more power and torque to tame any terrain. The new engine's power starts building low in the rev range and peaks early to produce a responsive off-the-line feel with a stout mid-range punch."

Provided it's true, does it mean more power in general or more power in 2004. There's no reason they shouldn't make it 230HP like in the Galant.

Well, we should know all the answers soon but if someone knows anything, let us know...
    for all you monty guys, the montero wins again (first and second place)in the grueling paris dakar rally of 2004.
    ...but racing with X5s and VW diesels is kind of easy :-)
  • magillamagilla Member Posts: 75
    Boys and girls, let me tell you the answer is a resounding "Yes"! They bent over backwards to fix my seatbelt issues. No charge. Technically, I was over the mileage and over the in-service date although we had been discussing the issues before those milestones were achieved. Regardless, they didn't charge me a cent and treated me great. So today, I have nothing but praise for Mark Mitsubishi (Scottsdale) and Mitsubishi North America. Now, if I could just find that little rattle in the dash...
    I just read that the rear tire cover is locked on Monteros. How's it done? is it possible to take it off without the key? My Trooper's hard cover is basically free for taking and seeing how much money these things fetch on eBay has always made me very nervous. Is it any different on the Mitsubishi? That'd be so cool!
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    We've always used 87 (R+M/2) Octane fuel in the 2001 LTD (36,000 mi.) and now in the 2003 20th Anniversary Edition (in for 12,000 mi. service this morning)without any problems at or near sea level. In fact, used 85 octane in Texas and New Mexico on recent trip. Also tried using premium for a few tank fulls, but didn't notice any improvement in millage or power. At higher elevations, using anything more really doesn't make sense because the engine can't get enough air to advance the timing and utilize the higher octane anyway.

The OME shocks and springs in combination the 265-75x16 BFG ATs worked well on "4-wheel drive required" road in Guadalupe Mountains National Park, Eliminating the rubber stock "gasket" got rid of most of the "squeak" but the front springs still want to move on the "purchase" on the shocks. I don't notice that it affects handling or is even important.

The all terrain tires are noisier on the highway, do make the ride somewhat harsh, and make the gas millage drop.

Brill, question:

Didn't you have a problem with the spring "purchase" when you first got them from ARB? And, didn't they send you different ones? Are they cupped, or completely flat?
  • bldrdrmsbldrdrms Member Posts: 4
    It does not lock. It unlatches from the botton only, these latches can only be reached when the back door is open. This prevents theft.
    Pulled the trigger on a 2003 Limited the other day. It had about 13K miles and was in excellent shape. So far, so great. I really like this machine. Very solid and very comfortable. I hope it's as reliable as my Trooper was.

Thanks for the responses concerning premium fuel. I've been running 89 octane through it thus far but may drop down to 87 since nobody here seems to think it will cause any problems.

One more question: Does anyone have recommendations regarding ski racks? I ran a search on this topic and came up with a few posts in which ski racks had been briefly discussed, but they weren't particularly helpful. I'm inclined to go with Yakima tower and crossbar since I've already got a pair of Yakima Liftticket 4 racks. However, I was messing around on the internet and noticed that mitsubishipartsstore.com has a roof-mounted ski rack advertised for about $70. But I'm not totally sure if it's for Monteros.
    Trooper's interior is nice but Montero's even nicer - I think it's definitely the best you can get for the money these days... Plus you get the side airbags and the "jump seats"!

As far as its reliability, it shouldn't be any different if not better. Trooper's transmission worries me a little.
  • remarinoremarino Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

I live in Puerto Rico where I just looked at the 2003 Mitsubishi Montero SR. Apparently, from what I've read, the SR was discontinued in the US maybe six years ago, so information on it is very hard to find. Does anyone know why the SR was discontinued? Anything wrong with it? And is there any reason to, in general, avoid buying cars that were discontinued in North America?

Thanks.
    The old US Montero SR (3.5 liter) and LS (pre-2001) were replaced by the current Montero. That's why it sounds confusing but it's only in the name.

Montero SR in Puerto Rico is the equivalent to our Montero Limited without the leather, so it's the same vehicle as in the US. No worries here - it hasn't been replaced yet :-)

http://www.mitsubishicarspr.com/spanish/vehiculos/2003/montero/es- - pecificaciones.aspx

Are you sure you want one though? When I visited Puerto Rico a few years back I noticed that almost every other car was a Montero down there. Apparently it's also the most stolen vehicle in PR by far and partially responsible for why our insurance rates are so much higher than for the Trooper for example...

I noticed that in Europe they have the regular Pajero (our current one here) and Pajero classic (the older pre-2001 US model) available for sale. It's a pretty big difference in price too.
    It wasn't very clear for a while (the powertrain warranty promo technically expired mid-year) but Mitsu made it official for all 2003s. 2003 Evo is excluded but 2004 Evos will get 10/100K (?)

http://www.mitsucars.com/owners/warranties.html
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I too am a former Trooper owner. I had a 2001 Trooper LS with leather - never had any problems after 35k miles. Traded it at a Toyota dealership on a 2001 Montero Ltd last May with 26k.

At the beginning of the second week of ownership I took it to the local Mitsu dealer because the transfer case light continued to flash after I shifted out of 4H. The dealer (Overland Park Mitsubishi) was great, they gave me a loaner and kept the car for 4 days and found the problem (a faulty sensor) after repeated tries.

Now that the Monty has 38k on the clock I have no complaints/problems and enjoy the improved ride. We will be looking in to new tires before next winter as the originals probably have around 8-10k left in them. I will probably slap some new brake pads on it this summer.

I run 87 octane as well with no problems. During a recent trip I averaged 19.5 mpg. The only things I don't really care for on the Monty vs the Trooper are 1) the rear door swings to the wrong side and 2) the oil filter is difficult to get to and makes a mess when removed.
  • skennyskenny Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a LTD with 26,000 miles on the ticker. I live in New England...should I use Premium ?
    or can I use the cheap stuff. Had other Mitsubishi vehicles and have proved superbly reliable 40,000 miles per year etc..Is this vehicle as reliable as I've herd.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Sorry, I have been spending a lot of time at the Dodge Cummins sites after getting my 03 Dodge. Man is this thing fun to drive.

I initially was sent the wrong cup and it was promptly replaced. I have found the OME/ARB springs with the Bridgestone A/T Revos to be a great combination AND my tires are as quite or better than stock if you can believe that. Take one look at the A/T Revos and you will say NO WAY! but....WAY...they are.

As in previous posts this 6 ply tire does better in 2wd than my stock HT did in 4wd. It was amazing.

GAS: I use mid grade on average. Often mix regular and premium from Costco. I have heard from various sources that Japans premium is no better than our regular. I think mid grade would be a safe place to be. I doubt you would notice any difference between any of the grades and using synthetic oil would probably give more net results than worrying about octane.

Just got my Montero out of the shop after some young kid tried to make a right hand turn on ice at 35mph on bald tires in a car. He locked up all four and slid into the side of my Montero, knocking it up a snow drift on the oppisite side (with my 4 yo and baby in the rig). Ah...what happened next you ask.....

Small dent between front and back door...totalled out L front end on car. You would not believe how stong these Monteros are. My wife is now convinced and is going to drive the Montero and give up on the older car she liked to drive.

Where in the world do these idiots get information that SUV's are dangerous?

I havd to replace both doors but no unibody damage.
    Rocky-road.com sells ome shocks and springs for monteros.is it better to buy them separate or as a set? I found that it costs less to buy per piece than packaged sets.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Glad to hear you and yours are fine - good thing you didn't roll over or run into some immovable object.

tidester, host
    Strange -- When bought the springs and shocks from Rocky-Road, the price was the same no matter if you ordered 2-ea. front and rear spings and front and rear shocks or as a package. The price worked out the same.

Brill -- Good to hear everyone is ok.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to call ARB again and discuss the "cups".
  • dchyornydchyorny Member Posts: 47
    Have noticed an interesting sound coming from around the shocks area where if I stop a little harder than normal or press on the gas, I get a crunching type thump. Took it to the dealer, at first they could not figure it out, but, they also heard it. When a second service guy looked at it, he suspected that the bushings were worn out and that was making the sounds. Will cost me around $800. Guys, what do you think?
    can't really help you there.this is a montero site.

thanks for your responses.anyway, rocky-road.com has ome shock/springs set for $551. if i buy separately it will cost me only $276.i need to call those guys.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There is a Mitsubishi Montero Sport discussion here.

Steve, Host
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I use only regular, and mostly Chevron. Average 15-16 on 60/40 city/highway driving. I've tried mid-grade with no discernable difference in gas mileages or power. FYI, 2001 Montero LTD, 40k miles.
    I had to go to a local mechanic to diagnose a "service engine soon" light ($45 vs. the dealer's $90). Turned out to be a bad O2 sensor. Replaced under CA emissions warranty of 3yr/50k. Question: should an O2 sensor go out this early? My '97 M3 went nearly 80k miles before one of its 4 went bad. Before I realized it should be covered under emissions warranty, the local mechanic quoted $250 for parts and labor. Does this sound high?
    I've had the Yokohama AT II's (275/75/16) on for nearly 20k miles, and was wondering if others had similar complaints: It's very noisy, esp. at highway speeds (humming/droning). Also, there's very slight steering wheel vibrations at higher speeds that my tire shop can't get rid of. They've re-balanced twice and aligned. Any thing else for them to try? I had Bridgestone Dueler AT's on my G. Cherokee without any noticeable (maybe a bit more noise and stiffness) difference than OE. However, they seem to be wearing very well, and have plenty of tread. All in all, I'd have to say I probably won't be replacing with the same.
    I had a set of tires on my Suburban once that I went through something similar

Solution was to wear them out and replace them with BFGs.
    I'm having trouble justifying a $630/mo payment on a car I'm driving 1-2 times a week. Also, I feel the money can be better spent on home improvements. Probably end up driving the M3 more, along with my sister's '91 Audi CQ. Can anyone give a current estimate of street prices for a 2001 Montero LTD? BTW, a So CA vehicle. Details: LTD w/ rear a/c, Munich Silver/Black leather, 40k miles, dealer installed running boards, rear spoiler, sunroof wind deflector. Thanks for any avdice/help/opinions.
    With slightly more millage on the '01 I traded-in (w/o running boards, spoiler, wind deflector) for the '03, I got about $17,000 last June.
    did you trade for another Montero? Edmund's says ~$17.5k PP, KBB says ~$20k PP. Is this a fair range or are they over/under-estimating? Thanks.
    Slightly used and quite improved 2003s sell for ~$26K or less from the dealer. This is one of the worst cars (next to my Trooper) to get rid of after a couple of years of ownership :-(

Let us know how it goes...
    The $17,000 was as a trade for a 2003 20th Anniversary Special LTD Montero.

I'd say you might get $18,000 from a PP, but I think both Edmunds and KBB haven't changed their estimates in at least 6 months. So . . . ? ?

Monteros in this country just don't hold their value so they are not a good investment. However, they are excellent off-road vehicles. I guess it depends on what you are buying one for in the first place.
    I was realized that the Montero had a lousy resale track record when I bought it, but thought it was the best value for the $$ at the time. It had everything I needed: good off-road capabilites, seats 7, good looking inside and out, 97% Japan made, good price. However, these past 8-12 months have found me driving it very little because of my job, and I'm finding it a poor use of my funds. And I don't forsee being in a position to drive it daily again for at least 1-2 years. I'm considering asking $18.5k, with a bit of room for negotiation. It's just always a PITA to sell a car PP. Not looking forward to it, but it looks like that's where I'm probably headed. Thanks for the feedback.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    The humming or drone may be a wheel bearing. there is a TSB on this and I think I might have one making noise. I am going to present the tsb and Montero to the dealer for inspection when I get a chance.

go to alldata.com