Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• yakjohn1yakjohn1 Member Posts: 3
    In November, I purchased a LTD Monte, with rear air, for 1% over dealer invoice, in Ocean, NJ. The salesman offered me this price on a Montero Sport, and I asked if it was good for a Montero. He said yes, but then of course we had "trouble" with the manager. I'm happy about the price, which stuck, but as most know, the whole car buying thing is painful in general. I see more LTD's on their lot now than ever, so maybe you can duplicate the deal.

I've since added wind deflectors, and a sunroof deflector, which I installed myself without any trouble. I purchased these things from: www.mitsubishi-accessories.com I did purchase the service manual; I'm sure I can personally benefit from only 10% of it's contents! I'm not sure it was worth the ~$120 I paid for it. It is probably worth more to others. I guess I thought it would be nice to have for basic repairs. I ordered wheel locks to match the key that came with the spare tire lock. I just ordered directly from the wheel lock company, after I had purchased the Monte.

I bought the Monte for it's ability in the deep sand for fishing, which is fantastic. I don't need to take air out of the tires in the low setting, and the "auto-stick" works best for these situations IMO. I hardly use this on dry pavement. There's plenty of room inside for all my stuff, and the roof rack can support 2 kayaks.

Overall, no problems besides a "pinched" front left speaker wire, which they fixed pretty quickly. I have 6,500 miles on it already, averaging about 17mpg.
  • mp19fanmp19fan Member Posts: 102
    I think the a/c display on the screen only comes on when you are adjusting the temp. Hope this helps. --Jimmy
  • jaynedough123jaynedough123 Member Posts: 11
    How much should I be paying for a Sport LTD and a Sport XLS. I saw sticker prices at $31K for the LTD but didn't do any bargaining. I don't really want any extras. I was pretyy happy with what seemed to be included. I am beginning to think that I might as well pay the extra $5K(can't forget tax) for a fullsize Montero. My problem is that I do a lot of miles for work(25-35K/yr) and don't want to pay out even more for gas.

I do have one problem with the Monte though - what the hell is with only one charger being in the front. Even cheap cars have 2 chargers in the front. The salesperson said the second charger was at the back.
  • photo3photo3 Member Posts: 26
    I thought that the Montero had two or three outlets.for sure one in the back and one in the front. I'm beginning to get mixed up. We haven't bought one yet..but I like the Montero the best. Unfortunately, all of the mechanics I've talked to say to stay away from Mitsubishi and they won't work on them. So I am very concerned about reliability. What does everyone know about this? I started to sway over to the Acura MDX but am very concerned about it's offroad ability. Also, the MDX is stiff and fairly uncomfortable unlike the nice ride of the Montero. Please let me know about realiability.
    Thanks!!
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    Rhodes.. I don't have the limited but I'm thinking the Climate Contro Displays are only with Rear A/C equipped versions. Do you have the Rear A/C option?

Jayned... By Charger's I'm assuming your talking about Power Outlets. There are in Fact two in the front cabin. Unfortunately, the second is found inside the console between the front seats. It's not a very convenient location but it is a second port for the front seat occupants. I do find it amazing that there seem to be lots of Dealer sales people who don't know much about the features of the vehicles they sell.

Hope this helps
    Drew
  • rascalrascal Member Posts: 26
    Hey brill, did you ever get those service manuals? Sorry that I have not been on here lately, been traveling.

Ya like mats? www.mats4less.com
    That is where I am getting mine.

As far as synthetics...ya know what they say about opinions....
    well, here is mine..

I am a retired Harley Davidson mechanic. I also have been around car racing, my Dad was a Nascar tire changer and mechanic for Red Farmer...this was back in the old days when it was truly dangerous and the racing was much more interesting. Let's just say, I have looked inside a few cylinders.

Corvette, Porsche, and Ferrari ALL come with and recommend Mobil One...could there be a reason? I suggest YES...

There is a big difference between the lubrication abilities of a great synthetic and dinosaur oil. One thing, do NOT run sythetic in your H-D..it has ROLLER bearing on the rods..synthetics tend to make these parts so slick, they slide instead of roll. Your automobiles use bearing inserts..they LOVE a slippery oil. I have seen Mobil One bring cars home that would have cooked on dino's stuff. Example? One of my daughters was off at college with her 87 Honda..200+k miles on that baby..anyway, she is driving down I-16 towards Savannah, GA for some fun in the sun..she gets to Savannah, stops at a light and sees steam billowing out of the car. Does she have a clue? NOPE..(she is my girl though and I love her). She goes on to the beach anyway as her tan is not to be denied. Once there, some nice man offers to look under the hood. Seems she had a heater hose broken clean in two and there is NO water left in the engine. He points to a little thing on the dash called a "Temp" guage..of course, it is PEGGED. The nice man pulls out a multitool and repairs the hose by cutting off the offending break and slipping the clamp back to the repair..he dumps in some water from the beach shower...of course she drives back to college and calls her Daddy, (me) that night to tell me all about it. I pat myself on the back for using Mobil One, even in her old car...anything else would have surely cooked that Baby. When she brought the car home the next weekend...I changed the oil and it smelled like cooked butter...friends, that stuff is amazing.

We are captains of our own ship, judge yourself accordingly. Nothing but Mobil One for my engines..I even run it in my riding mower. And I change oil filters EVERY time, and at 3k miles.

Peace,
    Rascal
  • claybusterclaybuster Member Posts: 90
    I wondered if any has found a good off-road winter tread that can be studded for ice conditions? I found some new Monte (trade-in) wheels for about a $100 each,anybody getting a better price for alloys? I plan on getting some winter tires/off-road aggressive and ciped tread; but still bearable (as far as noise and ride) on the highway for a 200-300 mile trip. I plan on getting 265/75-16R and want studs and that really limits the available tires. Any suggestions?

Also got a set of 4 KRACO rubber mats from Costco for $20. They come in colors and hold up to 2 1/2 quarts of water. They will due fine until the fitted mats get on the market.

"Service Engine Soon" emissions light still on now at 350 miles. Looks like it will be back to the shop this week. Anybody else have this problem and what was the fix? Thanks for any help.
  • dskidski Member Posts: 414
    >Corvette, Porsche, and Ferrari ALL come with and recommend Mobil One...could there be a reason? I suggest YES...

Well I won't argue with that and as I've said in past posts, they are of great benefit in such HOT running high reving engines. And if running syn's in your everday driver makes you feel better, have at it.

Drew
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Its not really fair to compare the MDX to the Montero. They are really two different beasts. Basically you have to ask yourself what you need your SUV to do and go from there.

The MDX is "better" on road for fast driving. It is louder inside, firmer ride. Several reviews now mention it is NOT a great off roader but thats not what you may be doing much of. Interesting that many of the MDX owners are not even getting the mileage that Acura claims. I read a long term report and it was only averaging 18 mpg. Hell, I get that in my Montero. I was suprised by that mileage.

Reliability: The 2001 Montero beat out the Landcruiser in Austrailia this year and I beleive the LC is the Gold Standard for what I am looking for in an SUV.

Spoke to a gent from Africa. He owned 2 Montes, both had no problems. He told me that in Africa the only SUV's that most trust are the Montero (called pajero over there) and LC.

I was originally only concerned with reliabilty because most of the data comes from outside the US. Now that I have had more time to take it all in I have no concerns at this time.

If reliability is truely good then there probably is no equal to the Monte short of spending 60K on the LC.
  • jmeachjmeach Member Posts: 3
    does anyone know if you can add the rear climate control or is it a factory only addition ?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    The Corvette, Porsche, or Ferrari does not run any "hotter" than than a Honda..."high reving" also would not apply..but if it did, wouldn't you want to be as well protected? I do choose..it is my wallet and engine that I am protecting...

Rascal
    The way I look at the synthetic oil is like insurance. Expensive but do you really want to go without it and take that chance you wont need it.

Compared to other costs of operation the oil change cost difference isnt worth even thinking about.

I choose synthetic until a study shows it is worse. Could I be wasting money, yes. But that would be similar to saying at 80 years old, "hey look, I didnt need my health insurance because I never was ill, I knew that insurance was a waste of money"
    did you get your Montero service manuals?
  • rbolinrbolin Member Posts: 1
    Well here is a question for all you long time Mitsubishi owners. I just purchased a used '98 full size and it is nice. We plan on keeping it just shy of forever, or until the payments stop. But I am reading some pretty good second hand reports on the reliability of this beast, and am wondering if it is worth the thousand dollars for an aftermarket warranty to go seven years and 100K miles. I'm only at 27k now and we don't do a whole lot of mileage, so I expect we'll reach the 7 years before the 100k. But I'm just wondering who out there has had one that long and how it's been. So far I'm pretty impressed with the quality, but would like some feedback from some long timers before deciding on those aftermarkets.
    Thanks
  • ken131ken131 Member Posts: 20
    I have the new Montero Ltd. When I use the "manual" shift transmission, do I have to remove my foot from the gas when I shift (like I would have to do with a regular manual shift transmission) or can i just shift up and down while I have my foot on the accelerator? Seems to work just fine when I keep my foot on the accelerator. I just want to make sure I'm not messing up the engine. Anyone know?
  • ehollisehollis Member Posts: 14
    go to www.fightingchance.com. Take his advice and do the "fax attack". I got my fully loaded monty for $15 over invoice, all over the phone. Never met the dealer until I paid for the truck. Cant say enough good about fighting chance.
  • photo3photo3 Member Posts: 26
    I really appreciate the response. I really don't like the ride of the MDX either...too hard..seats too uncomfortable. The dealer took me on a test drive and I really like the way the Montero handles over bumps etc. I was just mainly concerned that I would buy the car and be stuck with lots of mechanical problems. It does sound like the Montero engine can be tricky to work on by anyone besides a Mitsubishi mechanic but I think we found one. The MDX is worrisome also due to its towing power which we need. I also looked at the underside and the exposed tailpipe and it looks like offroad it would definitely be a problem. Why does Car and Driver rate it #1 in their offroad comparison? And Montero #4
    Does anyone else have a comment about realiability issues?
    Claybuster: is your engine light fixed yet...doesn't sound too good.
    Anyone have any comments about gas mileage?
    Thanks!!!
  • karno1karno1 Member Posts: 33
    FYI Guys: just tuned into Dateline NBC last nite (was just channel surfing) when I came across the NHTSA crash test special. By chance, they tested the 2001 MONTERO!!!! Obviously, the BMW X5 came in #1. Yet, the Montero did fairly well. Not much cabin cage damage (which is where passengers sit, including the driver), and got an acceptable grade for the test. I figured, not bad compared to the X5, figuring how much cheaper this beast is compared to that.

YACJOHN1 and ehollis, mind telling us how much you picked up the MONTY for? it'd help alot for us considering to pick up one.

As for KEN131, NO you do not have to let go of the gas when up/downshifting. Lets not forget, its not a real stick shift transmission. Its more of a mock, which allows you to have more control of changing the gears yourself. Feel free to hold down the gas when up/downshifting.
  • rberardrberard Member Posts: 22
    I don't see very many people in my area with the new 2001 Montero. I didn't think I would enjoy being different, but I do. We just got back from a snowskiing trip in Colorado. We were shocked to see so many Monteros in the Hertz parking lot at the airport in Denver. When our "full size" rental car turned out to be too small for four occupants and luggage, my husband went in for an upgrade and he came back with none other that a Montero! Same color as ours(beige) but trimed in black. So far, we have been very happy with our Montero limited. (8000 miles) This is a nice vehicle for the money. Last year at this time, I would have never thought that I would have bought a Mitsubishi. I am surprised that I don't see more of them on the road. Robin
    Rbolin

the aftermarket warranty programs may be a good idea, but you will grossly overpay from a dealer. There is a warranty, (even better), offered on the Edmunds site that is half the dealer price. Shop around, but do NOT buy it from the dealer. When I was buying my used MS, the dealer told me that I had to take the warranty to get the better interest rate...I just laughed and asked him if he would be willing to repeat that to the State Office of Consumer Affairs...he quickly changed his tune..

Get the warranty, $400-500 is about right.

Rascal
    rascal2064@yahoo.com
    I still have the "Service Engine Soon" for the second time, now with a 357 miles total on the full size 2001 Monte Ltd.s. I am taking to the dealer tomorrow. The first time the dealer checked the computer and it though it was in 4WD, while actually in 2WD. They reset the computer and it went 80 more miles and came on the 2nd time. Told to dealer to keep it until it's fixed. So hopefully I will have an update in a couple of days. I have a feeling this will be one of those where they replace parts, until they get the right one.

I have another less important bug on the graphic display for the miles before gasing up. It started with 68 miles with a full tank. The second fill up it went to 148 miles. the third time it went up to 198 miles before gas up. Anybody else have something similar?

The factory rear cargo rubber mats are now available in black, so I ordered one from the dealer. No price yet, but it should be around $64. (dealer cost)?

Monte runs great, if I can just get the bugs out. Can't be too bad, my last fill (only 8 gallons) it got just a hair over 20 MPG, with my light foot.
  • viet2viet2 Member Posts: 66
    I got my check engine light came on again after the dealer reset it last week It was emision related, they said. I think that some thing must be wrong because I have drove the car hard on trips before and the CE light never came on. Will keep everyone posted when I bring it to the dealer. I also got the SRS light came on intermitenly at one point.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • res03res03 Member Posts: 1
    Folks,
    I have been trying to access the web-site for the last past three days and is not working. Is that site shut down ? I have been meaning to ask how to remove the spark plugs on 98 Montero-sport 3.0 L. My car is having an idle problem due the point that the engine shuts off when the RPM hits very low. Anyone had this problem ?
    Yes, the site must be down, no one can access it. I am thinking of starting a new Montero yahoo club. We had a dweeb posting irritating messages on the board and if we do a yahoo board, we would be able to toss him. Let me know if people here would be interested in a new club site.
    I have two messages from others saying they cannot access it either. Maybe they took it down to stop the idiot that kept posting about Fords on the site.

claybuster and viet...viet, I have a feeling that your SRS problem could be your check engine light problem too...

claybuster, they need to resolve that light issue for you. Dealers sometimes just brush you off as quickly as possible for warranty work, what a shame. It also sounds as if your mileage is going up as your new engine breaks-in unless I misunderstood your post.

I get 20-23 mpg on my 2000 LS, 2wd and I am very happy with that.

Peace,
    Rascal
    rascal2064@yahoo.com
  • aaronhoaaronho Member Posts: 6
    I just got a price quote for a Montero Limited 2001 from a dealership in a suburb in Chicago. They quoted me $34300 which includes rear air, destination charge and ad fee. Is it a good price?
    Is Montero reliable? I heard good things and bad things about Mitsubishi. Do they honor the warranty usually. Is it they don't want to fix problems if it is under warranty?
    Last question. I test drove a Montero Limited 2001 the other day. I noticed that at 70 m/hr, rpm is at around 3500...is it not good?

Thanks for any input.
    -a
    $34,300 for a fully loaded LTD w/ rear air is a pretty good price. I think at 70mph the Monty should not be anywhere near 3500rpm. I'll check later, but I believe it should be around 2700 or so. Don't quote me on that yet. --Jimmy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mitsubishi Motors Corp. has finally decided to sell their vehicles to the Canadian public.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Believe it or not, $34,300 is a decent price for the vehicle. try workin them down to 34k or even slightly under 34 to 33,700. I've been trying to get it down that low, and am having a tough time out here in NJ.

As for the RPM, it is always better to reach high speeds at lower RPM rates, thus giving you more torque power.
  • sonja3sonja3 Member Posts: 4
    I'm on the verge of buying a Montero. I've looked at all the SUV's and for the money I like the Montero. But what is its performance history?
    Maintenance and repair history? Anyone had one long enough to know about reliability?????

Sonja
    Realisitcally speaking, the Land Cruiser is a bit bigger than the Montero, and has a V8 which makes for a big difference. That is the one true thing that is lackign in the Montero, the fact that it doesn't have a V8. If it did, then yes, it would be ranked in the same class. As for now, it is not. The montero is more grouped in the lines of the Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, and Acura MDX. I too am from NJ, and see only a few of the Montero's on the road, yet I plan to make a difference by picking up one of these Montero's shortly, give or take 2 months.
    Will get more details when I talk to the mechanic tomorrow; the "Check Engine" light was related to some wiring problem in one of the rear tail lights. I tried to get the service manager to explain how a problem in the rear light could cause a computer problem, without blowing a fuse. Mechanic had already left. Strange but, thinking back the "Check Engine" did come on both times when I was breaking. I need to put a couple of hundred miles on it before I will call it fixed.

The rear cargo mat came in at $66.+ tax and is a custom fit that looks like it will work fine.

So all is well and happy days here again with sunshine and 60 degrees in the forecast; just a little better than the NE. Spring is here! (for a couple of days).
    The reason the Acura MDX was picked #1 in my mind is a combination of the following.

Acura (and Toyota) support Mags, TV etc with many more $$$.

The comparisons usually give have too many catagories for handling when this criteria would be lower on my list. When you have 0-60, braking distance and cornering tests then only one test for Off road ability its no wonder that the car like SUV's come out on top.

The MDX is a poor off road SUV and a good on road SUV although the road noise and stiffer ride may have me looking at the BMW if I wanted a car-like SUV with power
    In response to the request for what I paid for Monty, it was 34881 plus 8.25 % tax plus $105. After hearing 34300, I'm interested in what others have paid. (Sometimes they give you a low price, but add a bunch of extras like window etching, etc.)
  • cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Agree that the Monte, with its V-6,is not in the same class as the Landcruiser. The Monte is kind of a 'tweener between mid sized and full sized SUV's, although practically speaking, it is a mid-sized SUV, with many of the advantages of a full size (towing being the one glaring exception). With regard to why you see more LC's than Monte's on the road, remember that for 2001 Montero only made 30,000 ltds--which I think is a plus--it's always easy to find in the parking lot.

It's my understanding that Mitsubishi was caught off guard by the initial high demand for this vehicle. Personally, I hope the market doesn't get flooded with Monte's--I did not buy it for the novelty factor, but I have to admit, having owned it for six months, the novelty factor is kinda cool...
    Someone please explain the difference between an AWD mini-van and an Acura MDX? To me if it does not have a low range 4WD for going off road, it's fancy AWD mini-van. It's all a marketing ploy, look close at the Honda mini-van then look at the fancy Acura MDX. That's my two cents worth!

"Check Engine" light still off, service manager still can't explain problem except the taillight found a ground through the computer. He is to send me a fax with better detail.
    I see you paid the 8.25% sales tax, which means you are probably from N.Y. Mind sharing which dealership you went to? what was the $105 fee for? I've seen most people on this post paid an avg. of about 34,500 for this truck....which seems like a fair price to me. It's just unbelievable when I hear someone paying something like 33,700 for the truck, which really throws me off. Best bet is to always aim for the lowest, and then work your way up....
    Yep, I'm in NY, and I went to Bay Ridge Mitsu. They were fine to deal with.

The $105 fee was for:

64.50 NY State Registration
    30.00 Tax (forgot what for)
    5.00 plate chg
    5.50 title chg.

Exactly what I would have paid at DMV.

34,500 sounds low. It's actually below invoice. Can anyone confirm this price? Were there a lot of additional charges? I'd love to hear that someone paid 33,700. (Or maybe I wouldn't) (smile)

Total out the door price for me was 37,864.36

34881 truck (Limited, rear AC, running bds)
    2877 tax
    105 tags,reg
    You got a fair deal.
    Don't forget, you got an option thrown in...."running boards". Thats not a standard item. Technically, you too paid 34,500. The running boards run for about $360 extra. Not a bad deal my friend.....

Read some of the past posts, and you'll come across the person that paid 33,700 for the ltd., w/ rear air.
    I bought my 2001 full size Monte with rear air, front air defector (looks good)and factory hitch all for $34,000. + tax/Lic. I walked after 2 different test drives and best price negotiations; but the key to the negotiations was having then run a credit check and letting knowing they were dealing with "live one". They called 1 week after my second walk and offered a deal I could not refuse; while they were having a sales promotion going in mid Feb. Got the 4.9% financing. Patience pays off!
    I paid $35,000 plus tax/lic. for LTD w/ rear air, running board and rear spoiler (which was listed at $999 and $399 on the window), plus the sunroof wind deflector. Also got the 4.9% for 60 months.

BTW, I got my Monty back yesterday after replacing the dricer's side mirror, tightening the running boards, and installing the sunroof wind deflector. Mirror doesn't look to be much better (still some distortion, maybe designed that way for wider FOV). Sunroof deflector is HUGE! Nearly covers half of the sunroof. Not sure this is a good thing. --Jimmy
    Hmm....thats why I'm not too keen on getting the wind deflector....takes up half of that huge sunroof. If its wind noise you are worried about, simply roll down one of the rear windows to increase air flow, thus lessening the wind noise. As you know, when air enters, it usually requires an outlet to pass thru. Why did your running boards require tightening?

Is it hard to get approved for this 4.9% financing? Don't know about you guys, but I sure do have bills,ie.: mortgage, couple of credit cards...etc. any advice?
    WRT the wind deflector: it's not the wind buffeting that annoyed me, so rolling down a window doesn't help. It has nothing to do with the air pressure inside the cabin. It's just the design of the pop-up metal deflector. If you look at it, it's quite large, vertical, and has oval cutouts in it. I'm assuming that because of the massive sunroof, there were some design compromises in that piece. Even around town you can really notice the wind noise as it hits the metal deflector. Do I still enjoy the XL sunroof? You bet.

As for the 4.9%, I suppose all you could do is ask them to run a credit check. I have a mortgage, credit card debt, etc. as well. But I believe as long as you don't have any 60-90-120 day delinquencies in your credit record, too much outstanding debt relative to your income, or any judgements against you, I think you should be approved.
    Thanks Mp19fan!

I'm gonna try out the monty w/o the deflector, and see how it goes. if I can tollerate the wind noise, then great!, if not, I sure would hate to see that huge sunroof cut down to half w/ that visor taking up most of the space.
    I would not have picked the MDX #1. It truely is not an off road vehicle to any degree. My montero sales rep told me he has had several people who returned them and bought Montero's after they found out how poorly it does off road.
    I think there should be two classifications of SUV's. How about "Off Road/On Road" SUVs for the Montes, Land Cruisers, etc. and "On Road Only" SUVs for the Acura MDXs, Oldsmobile Bravada. What do you think? To me a SUV is to get off road and I do. Putting the Monte in the same class a MDX is not right. If you want a luxiary AWD mini-van get a MDX.
    I don't think its that easy to return a $40k vehicle. After all, its not like one is returning a toy at toys r' us. No offense, I'm a true Monty fan here. Yet, you can't always believe what a sales man tells ya. Those that did return the MDX's, had to have taken a loss when giving it back. Granted, they did make a better decision the second time around when going for the Monty. Can't wait to get mine!
    According to dealer, qualifications for 4.9 are as follows:

credit score 700 or above
    more than 4 trade lines (credit accounts)
    more than 3 yrs credit history
    Less than 8 credit inquiries in the past 6 months.

Gonna put in another plug for fightingchance.com. I just read their book "Car Buyers and leasers negotiating bible" A must read for anyone getting a Mitsu Montero.

Also, pls go to carbuyingtips.com. Good advice. (In fact it was there that I learned about fightingchance.com)

Another question: Does anyone have a problem with the rear door on the mitsu? Mine squeaks real bad when I open, and it doesn't seem to close solidly, although the door open indicator is not on. Just doesn't "feel" right.
    Thanks for the tips Ehollis!

What if one were to score slighty shy of 700 points, but rather like 655.....would they be approved, or would they simply be denied the 4.9% rate?
    I'm not sure, however, before you let the mitsu dealer check, do it yourself at www.qspace.com. for 7.95, you can get a comprehensive credit rating from Equifax, along with your credit score. If you just want your score, that's only 3.95. Important: this will not count as an inquiry, and if you let the mitsu dealer do it, it will count. (If you let 8 mitsu dealers check, you're automatically disqualified from the loan.) Not good.

Then I would ask the dealer what they could do for you, if your credit rating was on the borderline. Above all, don't let anyone check until you're ready to buy. (It's against the law for them to run a credit check on you w/out your knowledge, but after you give them a deposit, they can.)

I paid cash, so I'm not an expert on this loan, but I did investigate it as an option.

Anyone have the rear door problem I mentioned in a previous post?