Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    Glad to see this page getting more use.

I didn't get a triangle either. Oh well.

There was an article in consumer reports several months ago (I think it was on the Jeep Grand Cherokee) comparing gas mileage on 2wd vs 4wd, and basically there was no difference. That being said, I agree with the Ryan--really no need to use it on dry pavement. I use 2H for normal driving, flip it into 4h when its raining or snowing. If you live in an area where it is dry all the time and you use 2H exclusively, its a good idea to flip it into 4H at least once a month to keep all the front wheel drive components well lubricated (read this somewhere on an earlier post.).

Thanks for the info on the air conditioner--makes sense.

With regard to options: Montero running boards are plastic and a bit too gaudy in my opinion with the body molding (I have pearl red and sudan beige two tone. The running boards would look ok if the vehicle was a solid color.) If I was going to put running boards on, I would probably go with (aftermarket) nerf bars--they seem to be both more functional and durable. I wouldn't by Mitsubishi air deflector for the sunroof--I was going to, until they gave me the price--it was way overpriced. I was going to put an aftermarket deflector on (believe it or not, my salesman recommended this as he thought the air deflector was overrpriced as well) but I think I'm going to hold off for now--I love the way my Monte looks, and I'm not a big fan of the air deflectors--too damn ugly. May change my mind in the spring though, as sunroof is fairly noisy open...

I did get the cargo liner--fits nicely (made the dealer throw it in with the deal) but it took a while (and some heavy books in the liner) until it would lay absolutely flat. But at least I can put junk in the back now without worrying about ruining the carpet...
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    Well, we made it back from the desert. No quail, but had a lot of fun driving dirt roads and a real "Jeep" Trail (Pinkham Canyon in Joshua Tree National Park). Both Monte and Trooper performed well.

Put about 300 superficial scratches on both sides of both vehicles on the trail from wash willows, tamarisk, palo verde, and other desert vegetation. (At least, I hope they're superficial, and will buff out. That's what we told our wives). However, the missing paint on the bottom of the front bumper of the Monte is probably permanent, as is the 3 inch long and 3/4 inch deep dingy in the Trooper nerf bar. (Hey, it did just what it was supposed to to right? -- saved the door panel. Try and convince your wife of that one.)

Will post more, including picture of being stupid on paint eating rock, later this week on 2001 Montero Board

-phonos
  • acolsenacolsen Member Posts: 1
    which has the better suspension. Montero or Trooper?
  • phonosphonos Member Posts: 206
    What do you mean by better? The Montero rides smoother due to the independent 4-wheel suspension as opposed to the solid rear axle on the Trooper. The Montero could be driven in comfort on rough road, at considerably higher speed.

But, on the Trooper it was really easy to add 2 in. lift by adding longer variable rate springs to the rear and cranking up the pre-load on the torsion bars in the front. (Took all of an hour with one floor jack and you don't need a spring compressor.) The added lift and the larger more aggressive tread tires (305x75x16, Mud-Terrain) that were added makes it a little more capable off-road, especially in mud.

Crawling under the Montero, it appears it would be fairly easy to add slightly longer, higher rate springs when available, (if you can find somplace to lift the body with a jack).

So far, they have both been able to go on the same roads/trails without any major/minor problems other than a flat tire on the Trooper before the tire swap.

I was all ready to buy an LS Trooper but couldn't find one without an optional sun roof. (I'm too tall for the lost 2 inches of head room, but wanted the standard electric seats in the LS). The Montero has a sun roof and I still have plenty of head room. So far, I am very, very pleased with the performance of the Montero, but I'm not sure it was worth the difference in price.
  • brillmtbbrillmtb Member Posts: 543
    Here is a quote from the Montero discussion. This guy does his homework.....I think

"Purchased Montero Limited with autoclimate this
    past weekend. Spent alot of time checking out
    various other sport utilities (both on the web,
    and drove everything I was seriously considering in
    the city and highway at least once). Doing this
    made my decision relatively easy. I would strongly
    encourage anyone considering buying an suv to
    drive several different varieties before settling
    in on one--Montero was not initially my first
    choice, but after testing it vs. several other
    SUV's, it was my personal hands down winner.
    Here are my impressions of what I personally
    tested:

RX-300: Pluses: Excellent ride, nice interior
    except for display in center console, gas mileage,
    reliability. Minuses: styling: this thing has two
    ovaries. In fact, it might have three. Looks like
    a station wagon. Small.

Mercedes ML 320: This was my first choice going
    in. Pluses: safety, relatively nice ride, 3rd row
    seats, black onyx is my favorite exterior color on
    any vehicle I've seen, relatively good gas mileage.
    Minuses: Styling: Not as bad as RX-300; I give
    it one ovary and one testicle. relatively small,
    reliability issues, interior layout (especially
    location of cupholders and window controls) and
    center console less than ideal; price.

Infinti QX4: Really was pleasantly suprised by
    this SUV. Wonderful engine, quiet, fairly nice
    ride But..small, and no matter how I adjusted the
    drivers seat, I could not get enough head room with
    the sunroof. Blah exterior..give it no ovaries or
    testicles--looks neutered (or spayed)

Toyota 4-runner limited: Pluses: Nice
    looking--give it two testicles. Nice interior,
    reliabilty. Minuses:Drove this right after the
    Montero--this thing is small (only 67 inches wide
    vs. 73.9 for new montero), rides harsh,
    Underpowered, overpriced.

Drove Durango, Explorer, Trooper, Jeep GC
    limited--took all of thiry seconds to eliminate
    these off the list....

Also looked at Ford expo/Tahoe but bigger than
    what I wanted/needed. (Anyway, would hold out for
    Seqouia in this class).

Acura MDX: Would have considered this as well,
    but needed something sooner. Not crazy about the
    styling (admittedly, I've only seen pictures) but
    looks like it has at least one, possibly two
    ovaries; definitely no testicles.

Land Cruiser: Thought about it--really like this
    SUV--but I just couldn't justify the pricetag.
    Only other minus to me is gas mileage.

Montero Limited: Pluses: Personally love the
    exterior. This thing definitely has two cahones.
    Nice ride. Fantastic suspension. Love the
    interior. Relatively spacious. Advanced 4wd
    system. Nice stereo. 3rd row seat. Was worried
    about vibration, drove this thing several times at
    different speeds and conditions--absolutely no
    vibration at all. Can actually take this thing off
    road. Huge Moonroof. Lots of options for the
    money. Size perfect for my needs. Great interior
    layout with LOTS of storage space. Minuses: No
    liftgate. Tailgate window doesn't open. Slightly
    underpowered. Dealers won't come down much off
    sticker (but at least there is 3.9% financing). ?
    Reliability--but made dealer promise loaner (in
    writing) if any extended repairs.

Bottom line: There are several good choices
    depending on what you're looking for. My only
    major issue with the Montero is reliability--I
    loved the vehicle enough that I'm willing to take
    the chance (if this thing is a dog, my next
    vehicle is a Lanccruiser). Time will tell.... "
    Added to what is discussed here I would say we have a lot of good info to go with in selecting the right SUV.

Enjoy
  • alexpalexp Member Posts: 70
    Why reliability is the concern? Read all the posts that have misubishi in it and you will not find problems. Actiually, there are some, but it is not as global as other makes. Mitsubishi hid some recall info, but it was more of the "image" thing and the most outraged was the government, not the customers. I did my homework too, as in post #59, Lexus RX300 was my first choice, than ML320, 4Runner Limited and the last one Durango. After Lexus was eliminated from my plans, I looked at 2000 Montero Endeavour. I knew that new model was coming up, so I decided to wait a bit. When 2001 came out (I had a chance to drive it before dealers did) my list got very short. I bought 2001 Limited and I am positive that it will perform as the top names or better.
    In response to post #61:

That was my post that was quoted in #59.

The reasons reliability is a concern to me include:

1. First year model. I know Mitsubishi tests the new Montero components at the Dakar rallies prior to incorperating them inon their "civilian" vehicles, which eases the worry a little. Always nervous about a completely redesigned first year model though....

2. I agree with your assessment of the Mistubishi cover up thing. Mitsubishi was taking care of the problems (hence the lack of dissatified owners), they just weren't reporting the problems to the government. Disappointing on Mitsubishi's part, but I can live with it.

3. Looking at reliability data (consumer reports, message boards) its my opinion (and I am not an expert by any means) that Mitsubishi is better than American manufacturers with regard to reliability, but lags behind Toyota and possibly Nissan as well, but probably better than Isuzu.

4. With regard to performance, I agree with you one hundred percent. I think the Montero outclasses all its competitors with the exception of the Landcruiser, but when you look at value, I think the Toyota is way overpriced (for that matter, so is the 4runner).

I have close to 3000 miles on mine, and I absolutely love it. No problems with it at all, so far. Always looking for reasons to drive it; can't wait 'til it snows. Hope it stays this way...Now if I could just find a way to keep my wife from driving it so much (she loves it too) and periodically saddling me with the damn minivan........
    It is not first year, not really. It is the first year with the steering wheel mounted on the left. It was introduced in Japan and Australia 2 years ago. Is it lagging in quality behind the Toyota? not sure, but possible. Is it laggaing behind the Nissan? absolutely not. In the "tief" market Montero is second after the Land Cruiser. Toyota is spending way more money on advertising and its market share is bigger than Mitsubishi, however, in Asia Mitsubishi is considered on of the best. Main reason DC bought Mitsu it was to get technology and access to the asian market. It is little known that Mitsu is one of the most innovating automotive companies, but their financial moves always make them to sell patents instaed of utilizing them. The latest example is GDI engine.
    I did scout the net, searching for problems (problems that affect the consumers) and could not find much. I found more about Toyota and Mercedes than about Mitsubishi. I had started topic here some time ago "Problems with Mitsubishi", that was frozen due to the lack of response. Try alldata.com
  • ryan43ryan43 Member Posts: 3
    In terms of reliability I'd say the Montero is about the best I could find from my research. It is made in Japan. One can take a look at its quality, fit and finish and see the difference. As far as the other [non-permissible content removed] go (Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda) I have notice that the quality and reliability have gone down significantly since they started building their vehicles in North America. I've had Honda's that were built both from Japan and the US. Boy, can you tell the difference.
    Ten years ago(give or take) I thought it was unheard of for a company like Honda or Toyota to have recalls, defects, poor reliability, quality issues, customer complaints, hundreds of service bullitens per model. Today, just take a look at the NHSTA web site and you won't believe your eyes. To prove my point compare models still built in Japan (not many) and those made in the US. Night and day. Enough to make me take back my deposit on a new Honda Odyssey mini-van and buy the Mitsubishi.

The Montero is built like all the [non-permissible content removed] cars used to be in the good old days.
  • konghhkonghh Member Posts: 20
    A relative of mine bought a imported 1994 model Pajero or Montero as you call it. Last year or so, the front brake failed twice because of bursted hose. We found out this year that those brake hose were listed as one of those unreported problem. So saying that there is a lack of dissatisfied owner is completely wrong. It's downright irresponsible. You don't get dissatisfied owner here, you might have dead owner instead.

Some problems might be minor but there are some that's too great to ignore. Brake hose bursting would very well listed as No.1 serious problem. How low could you get?

Having said that. Many of my other friends uses them but I personally don't like Pajero. But would agree that generally, they are extremely tough and well built vehicle and I am impressed.
    Hi Folks,

Glad to hear mostly good things about the Montero. All of your insights are very helpful. I research things quite a bit before buying.

I understand the comment about the difference behind Honda/Acura cars built here vs in Japan. I have a GSR (build in [non-permissible content removed]). One hell of a solid car. I have driven it sporty for the last 90K and it still doesnt have a thing wrong with it.

I am going with the Montero LTD. Could have gone LC but I am going to put that into my childs college fund (I hope the returns will be much greater here).

I hope I am making the right choice.

I am having difficulty finding aftermarket parts for the Montero, can anyone help?

Lets start a list here of places people have found good aftermarket parts for the Montero. There does not seem to be many. Thanks,

Steve
    According to the investigation related to the Mitsubishi cover up, there were 3 accident directly related to the porous and/or bursting hoses. In 2 accidents, people just walked away, in one-one person was in the hospital, overnight, for observation. Bursting hose is not pretty, however, it is not like you are loosing control 100%. Probably, in all recalls, recent Ford Explorers failure is the most appealing. Even though many of those accidents are linked to the Firestone, there is some data that points to other tires failing on Explorers more than on the other makes. Same goes for the Firestones, they were failing mostly on Exploreres, but not on F-150 or other makes. This is scary, however, it is well documented. I prefer my Montero with it's shamefull cover up, instead of Explorer that is very well recalled and published, but nobody really knows the whole truth about the REAL cause. 3 accidents vs. 112 people dead and dozens of injured??? I will take Montero anytime.
    There is a great aftermarket company, Jaso (if i remember correctly, Australian company that makes really nice stuff for all makes and models, but it is not cheap. e.g. they have bumper protectors (stainless steel) for about $500. I found towing hitch from US company(did not ordered that yet) for $230 instead of dealers $450.
    Man, this is a touchy subject!! Almost starting to look like the ML site....

alex, I wasn't aware that the limited was out in Japan for two years--I thought it had been tested at Dakar; didn't realize it was in production in Japan. That is reassuring. The Japanese version, from my understanding, uses a more sophisticated engine not available in the U.S. because of higher sulphur content in American gas...(Is that why our farts smell worse here than in Japan?? Sorry....) The old engine, in the U.S. Montero, is tried and true (although underpowered) and should be reliable. I agree with you that Mitsubishi is one of if not the most underrated car manufacturers--one of the reasons I bought the Montero.

I have found a website with Montero problems--the Montero suv site. One of the reasons I like the Montero so much is there are so few of them--I think only 30,000 Montero ltd's this year in the U.S. I have not seen many compared to other types of SUV's on the road. I think that it stands to reason that since there are relatively few, there will be fewer complaints--not because there aren't some problems, but because there are so few vehicles. Just comparing the Montero message boards to other SUV boards bears this out; the Montero board (until recently) is not nearly as active--with complaints or general comments.

Kongh, I did not mean to insinuate that there were NO dissatified owners. There has never been and never will be a vehicle made that everyone will be satisfied with...With any given vehicle, no matter how well built, there will be individual vehicles with severe problems--laws of averages. To me, in the overall scheme of things, Mitsubishi's lack of reporting is a relatively minor issue--agree with alex's post above. I by no means condone it, but I don't necessarily beleive it indicates a major coverup of design faults in Mitsubishi products.

Steve, good luck with the Montero--I love mine, and went through similar reasoning you did with regard to LC. Absolutely no regrets to date.

Sorry for the long post, but it's really nice to see this site getting alot of use--hope it continues!
  • deb95deb95 Member Posts: 1
    i looked at the 2001 montero,it has seats for 7, i think this site really supports this car maker, you should see what the jeep grand cherokkee site says about the jeep, they all seem lke lemons, but sounds like folks have had good luck with the mitsubishi. i really liked this car, tho a bit bigger than i may need.anyone have any other advice to offer?
    It really depends on what you need it for. I love the Montero's size personally; it is larger for a midsized SUV, but this really comes in handy hauling stuff around. Front and middle row leg room can't be beat in its class (third row is for munchkins only, or adults you don't like all that much). You may want to take a look at the Acura MDX--its a little smaller than the Montero, it also seats seven, and looks to be a fantastic SUV--more carlike than trucklike (one of the reasons I like the Montero ltd is that it still has a truck flavor, although a luxurious one at that). Wouldn't touch the Jeep GC. Durango also seats seven, but if you think the Jeep site has lots of complaints, mosey on over to Dodge's...
    CCT1...I am not touchy at all. Loved your comparison to the ML site :) That site was one of the reasons I stayed away from ML.Several peolpe (on the ML site) would praise it and equal number would complain... US engine is the one from the older Montero, however it is modified and slightly (25 hp?) stronger. GDI, would deliver (in the same engine) approximately 45 hp more, while cutting gas usage by approximately 20%. In Europe and Asia, Mitsubiszi is selling 3 door version of our Montero (in addition to the 5 door version) it is identical with 2001 Montero, however, it is approximately 24 inches shorter. They also modified Shougun, which looks like Montero (the standard Shogun).
    alexp--thanks for above info. Have you noticed on the ML board, if any negative comment is made, the perpetrator's intelligence, manhood and ancestry are all immediately brought into question, and threats are made against him, his wife, children, and in one instance, mother....
    cct1...ML site represents a bunch of people, that finally could afford 3 pointed star for relatively low price. Those people think that what they have is the top of the world and they do not want to hear any critisism. Did you noticed that most of people there were ML320 owners? Very few ML430 and almost none of ML55. I noticed that other topics, including this one, are very open to other makes and models. I noticed that you did mentioned other makes to other people and pointed out some Montero limitations without second thought. Thats the way it should be. How will we know about possible problems, if we will only say how great our trucks are?
    We SHOULD discuss all 4wd. As consumers we need to hash out what is best and for what reasons. Forget about brand loyalty.

Look at the Sequoia discussion. I threw in all kinds of comments about the Montero. Unfortunately there might be too many dealers lurking there and the folks at that site seem to over anxious about buying this new "4wd" that may not really be A "4WD" at all.

Steve
    Sequoia was in my plans very briefly, very briefly. I work for the company that supplies various parts to the autmotive industry, mainly Japanese transplants. I had a chance to see Sequoia several months ago and decided that it is not what I need. Offroading never was priority #1 for me, because I never went on any trails (I would love to go though, and I know I will go next spring). Looking at the Sequoia, I realized that Toyota is doing the same thing as Nissan did with 2001 Pathfinder and QX4...taking new body design and using old stock in order to get to the SUV market (Nissan did opposite, old body with the new engine). Toyota will change their engine pretty soon because they ULEV on the drawing boards. Thats when they will have transmission modifications, but it will be closer to ML series than to the Jeep. Nissan actually doing body redesign and engine modifications (ULEV). The only thing I wished my Montero had is the GDI engine, otherwise I feel that it has everything I need and above. Probably when GDI engines will be available, I will put it in (if possible)
    Check out this months motor trend, with a comparison of twelve SUVs. Sequoia in there as is Montero ltd. MDX won. Montero didn't do too bad though, except for what we would expect--HP, slow 0-60--editor stated Montero alot for the money. Think the MDX is great (may get one for my wife in 2-3 years to replace van), but Montero better for me....Awesome picture of Montero about 3 feet in air--makes me want to go out and run over an RX-300 (I swear if you hit one of those just right, dead on, the Monte would go over it like a speed bump).

I also considered Seq. briefly--glad I didn't wait for it. Personally, I think it is a mistake to lock into one SUV (even worse--deciding on it before it is even released) and defending it to your death rather than checking out other options--the seqouia and MDX message boards both suffer from this. I still love reading the RX-300 vs ML320 posts--have to go over and check those out again, been awhile since I was over there. Those two groups are so belligerent towards each other, and argue about the most esoteric details...Example of two actual posts:

"The RX-300 is by far the superior vehicle and beats the ML to shame. The new dog poop sensors will actually lift a tire to completely clear the offending substance, thereby reducing tire soilage and improving traction. While passing over the noxious substance, the cabin receives a squirt of gentle pine air refreshener, sparing RX occupants from and potentially toxic fumes."

"The ML320's flatulence dampening seats are state of the art, with both sound dampening and fume absorbing features. The trapped gas is then cycled to the engine's internal combustion chamber, thereby removing it from the cabin while also improving fuel efficiency."

Ok, Ok, so I made it up--but it wouldn't suprise me to see these posts there....(Actually I like the ML-320, just not as much as the Monte)
    MDX actually is one of the modern that combines most modern engine and body design. It does kind of look plain. In year or so, dealers will be selling that with the discount, so than you will replace your van.
    Those posts, cct1, you should place in the ML/Lexus board...lol :) Just change your name, they may send army after you, for offending their "mechanical wonders", hehehe.
    I test drove the MDX. thought I would wait for it before buying. I was disappointed by the following.

Ride too harsh (and I own a GSR) but for a 4wd they could have done better.

Looks funny to me (then I will need to get used to the Montero as well if I buy one)

Front end approach angle, ouch, it is going to cost serious $ if you try to 4wd over anything larger than a 7inch rock.

Price/value: too much for too little.

Why did some rank it #1. I dont really know. I think we are mixing more capable off road 4wd's with more capable on road 4wd. This is schizophrenic. I think we need to be separating them into two classes now.

If I want to carve up the street I will use my GSR, or better yet the new M3 due out. If you have ever driven a LC, Montero, etc. they handle well enough for on street use but have the travel, proper shocks and springs to work well off road as well.

Just my opinion for what it is worth.

Steve
    There are politics involved in the evaluation process (my personal opinion) MDX is not an imported vehicle so it gets promotion. I think that many trucks (as well as cars) are getting to be alike, with the interna/external equipment and finish. For many people name counts more than the real parameters of the vehicle they buy, admit that Mercedes or Lexus sounds much better (for many people) than lets say Isuzu, Mitsubishi or Subaru.
    On the political side check this out, this a comparison for the Bush/Gore tax plans:
    www.taxclarity.com
  • aaronhoaaronho Member Posts: 6
    For those who have the new 2001 Montero, how easy it is that you think it will rollover? Or have you ever thought that it would easily rollover. Any comments?
    I have Montero Limited 2001 and thought a lot about the rollover. I do not worry much about it, mainly because it does not happen as often as media or politicians are trying to portrait. I also been driving vans, pickups, minivans and various SUV's for the past 15 years, so I kind learned my limitations for turning, cornering, accelerating, etc. We have several different SUV's at my work, which I am taking whenever I go somwhere. We have Jimmy, Explorer, Lexus RX300 and 2 Jeep Grand Cherokee (nad my private Montero). Out of all of these cars Montero feels the most solid vehicle. The width of the body and wheels, gives that solid feel. Lexus will be second one, it feels ok, but leans (my opinion) more than Montero.
  • abc38abc38 Member Posts: 1
    Is it expensive to insure new 2001 montero?
  • igorsigors Member Posts: 2
    Is there any aftermarket kits available for Montero in US? I've seen supercharger kits on Australia web site but nothing in US.
    igors...I am looking for the same thing. I know that K&N filter (which is not available for Monty yet) will boosy a bit, as well as performance muffler. I don't really need any additional power, but it would nice to have it, what for? I have no idea!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dmetzgerdmetzger Member Posts: 160
    alexp

K&N may make the filter replacement for the Monty. I have one in my Sport. I do believe the air filter box is the same on 3.5 litre motor. The intake is different. They do not make the filter charged kit, yet, I think. They seem to make products but not let it be known until updates to catalogs, website, etc., are made. Need to call or have dealer call K&N to make sure.
    igors,

Could you share that web site with us. I am considering a Montero and trying to collect aftermarket info from all sources.

Thanks,

Steve
  • zx3boizx3boi Member Posts: 3
    I just got the recent issue of Car and Driver and it had a big luxo-SUV comparo. Here was the order of finish:
    1. Acura MDX
    2. BMW X5 3.0i
    3. Lexus RX300
    4. Mitsubishi Montero Limited
    5. MB ML320(tie)
    Infiniti QX4
    7. Land Rover Discovery

I just wanted to know what everyone thought of this. I'mgoing to have to agree with Car and Driver with the Acura. I guess it all depends on what you want out of the vehicle but the Acura by far won for its overall practicality and space. I urge everyone to pick up December's Car and Driver
  • lstangolstango Member Posts: 2
    But isn't it interesting, that the only two on this list, that are designed to actually "Cut it" off-road are the Montero and the Discovery. The others (while all certainly very nice) are in reality what is now being labeled as "Cross-over" vehicles or Steroid Sport Sedan. It would seem that Car & Driver really needs to clarify it's criteria somewhat as to what constitutes the catagory of SUV. There is obviously a very different standard being applied here. A very disingenuous one in my judgement.
    Actually Montero finishing 4th, is very good, taking into consideration lack of commercials, recent "news" about Mitsubishi, being so little known brand in the US, and fitting right there above ML/Infinity/Land Rower. MDX had no chance not to win, mainly due to the fact that it is way to new to be judged for anything but apperance, appeal and limited driving info. MDX is nice vehicle, but to call it superior, I would tnik twice before I do that.
    1sttango is absolutely right. Car and Driver knows better than to make direct comparisons between car based and truck based SUV's, but hey, they need to sell magazines. Nothing against the MDX--think it a great vehicle (maybe for my wife someday, not enough truck in there for me though). MDX will do well if not the best in the RX-300, ML320, BMW niche--but it is a much different vehicle than the Monte or Discovery.

Unfortunately, many people don't bother spending the time to determine the differences--all you have to do is look at some of the topics to see this--for example, this recent posted topic--"Geo Tracker, Hummer, Chevy Blazer, ML-55: which should I buy?"
  • igorsigors Member Posts: 2
    Here is the link for SC kits:
    http://www.capa.com.au/mitsubishi_kits.htm
    It says 3.0 engine, but it may fit with 3.5.
  • sjheinsjhein Member Posts: 1
    Well, I finally broke down and bought a new Montero Ltd w/ Rear AC on Friday (Black/Sudan Beige). I used the Edmunds forums and other info a great deal in both my decision making process as well as in determining my price negotiating strategy, so I thought I would post the results...

Using dealer invoice data from Edmunds and other Internet sources, I calculated a range of percent-over-invoice values. In addition, based on posts to the Townhall forum, I was able to see that people had paid between about 34,100 and 35,600 for this vehicle. Greenlight.com had a price of 35,289, while Carsdirect.com had a price of 35,060. The Edmunds TMV was 34,499. With all this information, my strategy was to make my initial offer at 34,000, go for a target of 34,500 and not go much above 35,000 if pushed.

Here's what happened. The dealer had the Montero listed for MSRP + 2000 additional markup - 38,717! After my initial offer of 34,000, the dealer came back with 36,717 (MSRP). I countered with a 34,500 offer. I was initially "working the numbers" with the salesman, but when I suggested that we were still far apart, he brought in the "Sales Manager". The Sales Manager told me how popular this model was and how my counter offer wasn't much above his invoice. I challenged him on this since I had invoice data from several sources that all agreed. He pulled the invoice sheet for me and all the numbers looked correct, except Mitsubishi had added almost $1000 in advertising fees (3% of base invoice) to the dealer invoice! Rather than argue with him about these fees, I made a final offer of 35,000. He then asked if I could work with him and accept 35,300 (but wanted to know if he had to include the engine for that price). Rather than walk over 300, I said he had a deal if he met me half way - 35,150. He accepted, and I now own a new Montero Limited.

If I had been a better negotiator (I hate negotiating) I probably could have gotten a few hundred more off the final price. My final price is between the prices quoted by carsdirect and greenlight, and in the range of what others have been paying, so I figure I probably did OK (but not great). The biggest surprise was the ridiculous advertising fee on the dealer invoice - I was not prepared for this. Fortunately, I had done my homework on Edmunds, and had a good idea of what price people had been paying for this vehicle. The information available on Edmunds and other sites like it made the stressful process of car buying quite a bit more tolerable for me.

Now, it's time to become familiar with this new car!

-Scott
  • ddiego1ddiego1 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in buying a Montero however I do not want to get ripped off in the process. As a women buyer what is the best way to go about negotiating for the best deal? I printed the consumer report already. Are salespersons affended when given a report of some sort?
    ddiego: What are you looking at? You will get a much better deal on an XLS than a limited (I own a limited). Limited's are relatively harder to come by (Only 30,000 built this last year, which is one of the plusses of owning one.). However, with a number of new SUV's coming out recently, you should be able to get something significant off for an ltd; also, some of the novelty of the ltds have worn off since they've been out a little while now. I paid 35,400 a couple of months ago for a ltd with rear ac (I highly recommend getting this option); probably could have done better, but really wanted to stay with local dealer (got some perks thrown in for free as well--cargo liner, nets, and class three hitch , and free loaner car with service). I think 35,000 at present is reasonable (depending on your area, you may be able to do even better--it will be tough to do much better unless you live in a large city with more than one dealership).

Any dealer who is offended by your having an invoice is not worth dealing with in the first place. You can get invoices anywhere these days; the dealers know that. If a dealer gets offended by your invoice, I would simply walk away. I would also not recommend buying the vehicle on your first visit--wait a few days after contacting them; sometimes you'll get a call back in a few days with a better offer, or they may offer to throw something else in.
  • yakjohn1yakjohn1 Member Posts: 3
    Looking at the posts here I was very lucky to get 1% over dealer invoice for my LTD with preferred package. The advertising fee I could not wiggle out of, but was expecting trouble here. Apparently, there are not many of these around, and as I was buying on a Saturday 2 other people took "my" Montero for a test drive! So far, so good. I removed the handle from the driver side doorway to completely open up the spacious view of the road. I've been driving Explorer's for 6 years.

I do alot of kayaking and fishing, and will use the roof rack. Am having a little trouble finding which rack attachments will fit. I have a Yakima attachment for my old Explorer, and would like to salvage some of the components. I think it is gonna be the "Doublecross" tower that fits the Montero factory rack - but Yakima has not "approved" this one yet. Anybody know which one to use? Also, I drive the deep sand by the ocean at least once a week, and am hoping I'll be able to do this without lowering air pressure in the tires. I am excited to see the Montero's off-road ability. Thanks for any answers to my questions!
    Hey guys/gals...good info here. Can we get eveyone on one Montero site. There arent too many of us. What do you say?

For those of you trying to find out what you should be able to get the Montero for I just bought the LTD with rear air for 34,700 which included destination charges. TTL would be extra.
    As far as Car and Drive....they can kiss my a....

We need to compare apples to apples. I drove the Acura and it is rougher and louder than the Montero. Yes, it is quicker and handles a little better but that is what my GSR is for.

Individuals reading articles like this need to first set their personal priorities then figure out which SUV would be #1 for them.

I WOULD NOT take the MDX off road where I would feel comfortable taking the Montero. I would not bet pink slips at the stop light with the MDX either.

IF the Montero is the better off road SUV then I picked the right one for me.
  • rdg50rdg50 Member Posts: 9
    2001 Montero Limited owners: Please provide feedback regarding the fuel economy you are experiencing. EPA ratings are 13/18 MPG. Is this real, or does the ML do better or worse?
    will do, give me a week. I have 50miles on mine so far and it isnt off full yet.
    There are other posts stating mixed up to 18mpg and 20 on the highway
    Fuel economy: I have mine since August, with the 100% suburban driving I get about 15-16 mpg, all depends on the driving (aggressive or calm) Mixed driving, 50/50 city highway, is producing about 18-20 mpg, again, driving style makes a difference. The only time I had about 95% highway, I did 21 mpg (cruise control set at 67 mph, 2 adults and 2 kids)
    One time I drove, deliberately, very aggressively, quick starts, quick stops, etc... I got about 13 mpg. On the Limited model it is very easy to see, how the usage is going and adjust accordingly.