Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester (up to 2005)

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Canucks get all the cool stuff, the SE is just the latest special edition we don't get. Remember the Dynastar from '99 or so.

Thanks, I love hearing reactions from people. My mom will flip out, she loves this stuff.

-juice
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    and we pay for it. Subarus have always been more expensive here, the recent strength of the Canadian dollar (versus US) makes the difference even greater, and harder to justify. Maybe Subaru feels guilty, and is offering these special editions as way of saying sorry ;-) Speaking of 'other' cool stuff, the forecast here is for 10 to 15 cm of snow tomorrow... Whee!
    Owen
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Interesting, Where would you look first would the dealer have them available ?... Thanks Matt
  • subiekevsubiekev Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for all of your replies. We don't know the code yet. Hopefully, we can get some answers soon.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    I just turned 100K on my '01 Forester S yesterday. Now I'm about half-way to my '07. Hopefully the next 100K will be much smoother sailing!

Len
  • pon1pon1 Member Posts: 196
    Rented an 05 Forester X at the weekend, AT of course. Seemed peppy and smooth compared to our 2000 Forester L MT (sold in March).

Not really comparing apples to apples, i.e. used vs new, MT to AT, sea level (this weekend) to 1000m (where we live). But has anyone got any thoughts on how the SOHC 2.5 N/A has improved since intro in 99? Is the 5MT any better now as the gearbox in the 2000 was awful.

I think - based on the weekend's experience - I could forsake the 2.5T, save a ton of cash and buy another 2.5 N/A (Forester X SE, Canadian Edition)

JP
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Haven't heard too much about engine problems, so hopefully the kinks have finally been worked out. The gears themselves are a little strengthened, but the shifter feel itself might be similar.

The short throw shifter is now an option for the Forester, and makes a big difference in throws. It's takes a little more effort to shift but worth it, IMO.

-Dennis
    JP: only you can answer that. Sample an automatic up at your elevation.

The engine is the same (phase II SOHC, 165hp/166lb-ft), but they now have throttle-by-wire for more linear input plus better gas mileage. I'm surprised you found it quicker.

Well, it did lose 80 lbs for the 2003 redesign. Not that you'd notice.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Also has a plastic intake manifold on '05+

-mike
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    Edmunds says the auto transmission is new in 05.

Also the fuel filter location has changed from under the hood to inside the fuel tank... the maintenance guide still recommends replacing it every 30k miles. Bad move for DIY like myself...
    Bad move period, the part is about $300 IIRC. :(

-mike
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Can't believe they did that. Bet the dealers will love it though. Definitely make them some more money.

Love to hear someone at Subaru present a sound engineering reason for doint that.

Larry
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Yeah, is there a benefit?

-Dennis
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Foresters get aluminum hoods now. Plus, the new HAL on XS and better. Opinions from Outback forum that HAL improvements still inadequate.

John
  • tincup47tincup47 Member Posts: 1,508
    I imagine that the 30,000 mile service requirement is an error. It is probably a lifetime filter, they just neglected to update that part of the maintenance schedule.
    Aluminum hood actually arrived for MY2003. Front and rear bumper beams, plus roof rails, too. All aluminum since 2003.

Climate Control did get revisions, as did the tranny, plus the throttle-by-wire on X and XS (XT got it in 2004 IIRC).

-juice
    Tincup, so far it's required, and it's been in the STi for 2 years.

Reasoning behind it would be that it prevents inpurities from crudding up the lines I'd imagine? Just a guess. On my trooper it's located in the frame-rail in the rear of the vehicle.

-mike
  • mckeownmckeown Member Posts: 165
    For years, many European cars have had filters inside the gas tanks, as have Ford and Mopar products. These, according to their design, have a much longer service life as the fuel overpressure return line to the tank is placed to 'wash' the filter, thereby giving it a longer service interval.
    In these the cases I have seen has worked well. The only down side I have seen is when a tank is contaminated, it is more work to clean (taking the filter/pump/gauge assy apart) as well as cleaning the tank. And more expensive.
    But each technology gain has it's definate improvements and prices......like replacing an ECU vs replacing the old points & condenser. I would GLADLY take the ECU. Service interval on points/condenser was 3K at best, and I remember starting many more cars in cold weather by filing the points. I don't miss those cold days under the hood.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Those were the days. Glad I got a chance to work on cars with rotors and points under the distributor cap, it gives a nice appreciation for new solid state systems!

Craig
    amen Craig, but points never broke any of my piggy banks. I bought a rebuilt distributor for my '66 Ford last year for $37, points, new bushings, vacuum advance, and all included. I still can't believe it.

John
  • DonluceDonluce Member Posts: 41
    I have fallen in love with a silver Forester XT, but I need to occasionally pull a sailboat and trailer that weighs about 2500lbs.

My trailer is well equipped with a load distributing hitch,anti-sway bar, and surge activated hydrolic disk brakes.Hitch weight 250lb.

On looking for information about the XT Forester, I found that in Australia,it can pull a 2000kg(4400lbs) trailer, in New Zealand a 1800kg(3960lb)trailer,and in United Kingdom and Europe a 1500kg(3300lb) trailer. Can anyone explain why the XT can only pull a 2400lb trailer in the USA? I plan to add a transmission cooller before doing any towing. Can any one suggest any other modifications?

Thanks,

Don Luce
    You should be fine, just make sure your tires are rated to hold the load and you'll be fine.

-mike
    Our best guess is potential legal issues lower the towing capacity in the US. I agree with Mike, you should be OK -- trailer brakes are really the key factor. The XT will have no problems going, it's the stopping that most people don't think about. But it sounds like you know what you're doing!

Craig
    With the trailer brakes and the precautions you are taking I think you will be fine.

Tongue weight is my only concern, the limit might be just 200 lbs. Can anyone verify that?

-juice
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    I called 3 dealers today and their price for a 2005 Forester non-turbo oil filter were $7.59, $7.89 and $8.19. What's the cheapest price I can get on internet?

What's the difference between the non-turbo and the turbo oil filter? is one bigger or something? can i use the turbo oil filter for my forester x?
    I believe I pay $5.50 or so online, plus 20 cents or so for the crush washer.

My understanding is that the new "turbo" oil filter is smaller, and a new design. However, the older larger filters work on turbo cars from what I can tell. Over on NASIOC, Subiegal looked into this and found out that the new smaller "turbo" filter is the new part to be used on all the engines eventually. they are phasing out the older larger filter, but it still works where the smaller one is called for. Confused? So was I.

For more details, go over to NASIOC and search on the filter number I am posting below (I'd give a direct link but that's against the rules here).

Note that the H6 models get an entirely different filter.

I have some of the "old" 15208 AA060 filters, which I used on my wife's Forester XS and my WRX. Apparently these will work on my new Outback XT as well, even though the manual calls for the new small filter.

Craig
  • brc2004brc2004 Member Posts: 14
    Has anyone bought an aftermarket stereo (hopefully, one that includes an MP3 player) and installed it in their Forester?

I was searching the Best Buy and Circuit City sites, and was surprised to find that the Subaru Forester was not an option on their vehicle compatibility charts. Does this mean that none of their systems will work with the Forester, or just that they didn't bother to include that information, for whatever reason?

I'm also wondering about whether or not having a stereo installed would void the warranty. I suppose everyone does this, though, so perhaps I shouldn't be too concerned.
    You'd be better off looking at the Crutchfield web site for stereo info, including what fits. BB and CC are not always the best source of info about car stereos.

I put an MP3 capable Alpine headunit in my WRX when I had it, and the same rig-up would fit the Forester. You would install the headunit and a DIN pocket in place of the standard double-din factory radio. (actually there are aftermarket double din units as well, but not many good ones).

It won'd void the warranty unless you screw up the wiring real bad! But really, with a harness adapter it's a DIY job and hard to mess up.

Craig
  • brc2004brc2004 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, Craig. I went to Best Buy and they couldn't explain why the web site didn't list the Forester. But they looked it up and said that all but one of their stereos would fit.

I'm not a do-it-yourselfer when it comes to cars, but BB is running a special on free installs.
    Then let them worry about it. :o)

Double-DIN is correct, I have a 2002 WRX 6CD changer in my '98 Forester and in my wife's '02 Legacy, those are all interchangeable.

-juice
  • ann365ann365 Member Posts: 5
    as my 2002 xs horns sound a little wimpish i felt that installing an extra horn in parallel with the existing horn[s] would help .
    however i cannot even locate them . can anyone help with info. to achieve same ? thank you .
    Very easy to put in.
    What we usually do as part of our 3stage security is put Hella dual trumpet horns under the hood. We wire in the relay for the extra horns using the relay provided. The "trigger" wire for the new horn relay we wire into the relaybox into the horn relay. So essentially when the horn relay is triggered in the car it triggers the parrallel relayed horns to fire. Dual Trumpets + OEM = Very Loud! :)

-mike
    On mine one is behind the grille and the other is behind the passenger side headlight. You can tap into that wiring, basically.

I changed a stock "beep" with a horn that "honks" and I like it better.

-juice
  • tazerelitazereli Member Posts: 241
    where would I be able to procure the Hella horns?

Kyle
    has '05 X 5MT for lease at $249/month. Zero down, zero drive off, etc.

Half the price of my '03 XS payments. hmmmm.

No OB or Legacy wagons.

Interesting, '02 and '03 WRX guaranteed trade in allowances.

$1,000 cash back on XT.

John
    Buyers market, you gotta love it.

And the used car market is soft so the trade deal is worth at least looking into.

-juice
    I order all my horns and lights from:
    http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/index.htm

-mike
  • dkudku Member Posts: 1
    I am currently shoping for 05 X 5MT. $249/month lease sounds too good to be true. Could you please provide some details? What region are you in? What dealership? What is residual / money factor?

Thanks a lot in advance
    dku,

Nothing magical, go to www.subaru.com and "special offers". These are Subaru deals and should be available anywhere in the US. The details of value at end of lease, etc. are not specified. However, Figure that for $3,000 per year, depreciation of the vehicle alone is barely covered. It sounds too good to be true, share with us the details if you check into it.

John
  • psfod3psfod3 Member Posts: 63
    I drive my 03 Forester x around 30,000 miles per year. I change the cabin filter around every 10,000 miles. Anyone know a less expensive place to get the filters? They seem to cost alot when I get them at the dealer.
    This is a great car I put 60,000 miles on it in two years. It is wonderful. If anyone does alot of driving I have to say the seat cushion is way to hard to be comfortable in for long drives. I was on vacation in Orlando this summer and I rented a ford Tarus I could not believe how much softer and more comfortable the seat was. I do not understand what they had in mind in their seat design.
    I'd say once a year is often enough, so that would save some money. Some people have been able to buy 3M home air filters, cut to size, and use the material in the stock cartridge. There's probably material 5-6 filters.

Craig
  • troop2shostroop2shos Member Posts: 235
    Adequate seat support is a priority for me since I drive my own vehicles for business use with trips up to 5 hours & due to my back surgery many years ago. I find my '04 XT PP driver's seat to be very supportive & help eliminate fatigue. I felt more stiffness & fatigue driving either of my V6 & V8 Taurus SHO's for business, having contoured power seats with lumbar supports & side bolsters, than in my lumbar equipped XT over the past 19k. Everyone may have different preferences & it's difficult to judge the seats unless you get enough seat time...fortunately, I had access to my son's XT before my purchase to verify the seat suited my needs.
  • rochcomrochcom Member Posts: 247
    The lease looks like a great deal for drivers who put on average mileage, but it is not offered in New York or Hawaii and is limited in Rhode Island. Mileage limit is 12,000. Additional miles $.15 each.
    I prefer firm seats also, but we are all shaped differently and each of us has a unique preference.

I rent Tauruses once in a while and I can't stand those spongy seats, they are way too unsupportive for me. YMMV.

-juice
  • a_buma_bum Member Posts: 16
    My wife wants to replace her '95 civic with the '05 Forester. The civic has horrible a/c that can't handle Florida heat in the summer. We test drove the Forester and the a/c felt somewhat under-powered. Anyone live in a really hot climate that can comment on Forester a/c in the middle of summer?
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    We live in East-central Florida below Daytona Beach and bought our gold 05 Forester XS in mid-July, trading in a white 99 Chrysler T&C Ltd. We are both older folks who find too much heat and humidity to be debilitating, so we prefer to be in the shade and in a breeze whenever we are out of doors, which is no more often than necessary.

So far, we have found the A/C to be immediate and more than adequate for the temperatures we have encountered since our purchase. And that is without any extra window tinting.
    No problems in hot old Virginia. The AC on my wife's 03 Forester was always more than adequate.

I had a 93 Civic and the AC was indeed weak.

Craig
  • pondlady28pondlady28 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2005 Forester but am hesitant after seeing that the rating for the Forester here on Edmunds is less than the other Subaru models. Why is that?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Look at the rating for the 2004 it was over 9.0 . On the 2005 it has has not had alot of replies yet but one of them it was a very low rating that I would question . Look at consumer reports it was the TOP rated small SUV over the RV4 and CRV. Good luck... Matt
This discussion has been closed.