Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

Comments

• becranfillbecranfill Member Posts: 5
    I would be happy to fix myself if I knew how. After looking at the internet yesterday, I was considering sending the instrument cluster to someone to replace the stepper motor ($100-$170). Do you have some advice on how to do it myself? Thanks.
  • rich888rich888 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. I'm having the same problem with my speedo and tach. Can anyone share info on how/where to get the parts needed to do this repair at home. Is there a written explanation for this repair?
    Thanks
  • lottcmlottcm Member Posts: 2
    My tachometer was acting up first now my speedometer has gone out. It also reads 120. The service guy at the chevrolet dealership said the cluster needed to be replaced and because I had 87000 miles on mine, they would not cover it. The cost of the repair is supposed to be around 500.00. Parts and labor would be covered up to 70000 miles and part was covered until 80000 miles. They would pay nothing because I had too many miles. I called the Cheverolet number that a previous poster noted and she called the dealership. For some reason, my information was not put in the computer so I have to take it back for an official diagnostic check. Once this is done, the cheverolet customer service is supposed to call me back to let me know if they can help cover part of the cost since I explained this is a known issue. I will let you know what I find.
  • becranfillbecranfill Member Posts: 5
    All,

I hope this shortcut works below. If not, just google "2004 trailblazer instrument panel removal" and look for how to replace a stepper motor.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D4888- 6&ei=gBNNS_zJBo6XlAfKg5mODQ&sa=X&oi=forum_cluster&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0C- BIQrAIoATAA&usg=AFQjCNGPvWKaJAP7G7kdnvQRPHDUzakUCA

I followed these directions exactly and they worked perfect. Like many in these posts, I have a 2004 trailblazer where the speedometer and tachometer stopped working. I replaced the two stepper motors and save moocho money. Hope this helps.
  • tye2tye2 Member Posts: 2
    We (the wife) have been trying to decide on Tahoe or a Trail Blazer and since it is just us and the dog we went with a used '05 TB with just over 78,000 miles. Well lets just say I didnt do my research :blush: I would have known that there was a cluster instrument problem. Now mind you the speedomoter worked when we were test driving it. Used vehicles will have one problem or another and with sites like this and trading info. like we do can we can overcome the BIG companies that wont step up to help the the true back bone of America.

I have read alot of useful info. on this topic and I am gonna start on the trouble shooting as soon as the sun comes up since it doesnt sound like GM is helping TB owners. All I can tell you is that it broke my heart to see the wife cry when she went to bed. She used her Monte Carlo as the trade in and she loved it. She fills that she made a bad decision by doing this... I assured her that she didnt do this all by herself since I gave my approval.
  • tye2tye2 Member Posts: 2
    Well as I said I would, I went out and started with suggested hints...I started and restarted the TB several times and the speedo went to zero as well as the oil pressure gauge, took it out and drove it and it seems to be working fine ( for now) I'll keep an eye on it. I know its not a fix but what the hey!!! I will have to wait and probally start gitting the cluster equipment together and go ahead and do them all at once since ther seems to be various ones crapping out and go down thru the list. I do want to call the 800 number and see if ours made the list before I go to far.

I dont want to run out into the dark with a shotgun just cause I heard a bump in the night....
  • armstarmst Member Posts: 1
    My 04 Trailblazer has the same speedometer problem that has been documented. Here is a short term fix.
    Start the engine over and over. each time the car is shut off, the speedometer drops back a few mph. After about 10 trys, the speedometer went back to zero. You have to be cautious though.
    It may malfunction again. When it is working, calibrate the tach. 55 = 1500 in high cruise. 1800 = about 60 mph.
    The other choice is to set your cruise based on a GPS. We got a Garmin Nuvi for $185 and it reads MPH. Then we set the cruise based on the readout.
    I am still hoping GM will recognize their deficiency. I have had different vehicles for the last 48 years, and never had a problem like this. GM should recall the vehicles based on this problem
  • becky59becky59 Member Posts: 1
    Had to replace fuel guage in 05 Trailblazer. Also, had to put in new compressor. Now speedometer has gone nuts. Going to cost $400to500. Said car wasn't on any recall list and too high mileage--88,000. Will they replace the whole thing so individual components won't go out or is the whole panel a lot more expensive. My mechanic said these cars are nightmares.
    Repair it your self or take it do a place that can repair it. I just replaced two stepper motors (1st time doing it) and it's not too hard (< $15 w/ s/h). Got step-motors from ebay. Check on www.car-parts.com for used or repair places. Some places provide same day repair service. Most repair places require you to remove the inst-cluster yourself. My suggestion is if you remove the cluster, you just did the hardest part of the repair. Soldering skill very helpful.
    GM is (excuse my french) screwing Trail Blazer owners, both by not fixing the faulty unit and making them pay for an evaluation that is not needed. This is my 1st GM product, that I actually like, but because of the way I've been treated by Detroit and my local dealership, I will stay away from GM products and advise others to do the same.
    P.S. The orig tires (continental) that came with the TB gave me problems (belt sep.) and caused me head-aches too. Just replaced the last two this past weekend.
  • timoladtimolad Member Posts: 6
    Last year, my speedometer stopped working as well as the temp gauge in the mirror (driving in a blizzard it said it was 110 outside). Then it all started working again. Christmas eve, the speedometer quit working again. Last weekend I filled up with gas got in the car and it showed empty. After the car sat for a few hours the gas gauge worked again. Yesterday the speedometer started working again. I really don't want to take it to a dealer when I it keeps going in and out. Im definitely not a mechanic, but can figure out some things when I need to. Not sure if I should try to fix something myself or just wait til it screws up again and find somebody to take it to. BTW, had to change the same headlight bulb twice in 3 months. 2005 TB EXT has 83000 miles.">
  • willymacmusicwillymacmusic Member Posts: 5
    Less than 2 weeks ago, we had the same failure occur with our speedometer cluster. Both my usual mechanic and the local Chevy dealership assured me that GM would not be able to help us with this, since there has been no official recall on this part. Having done lots of research online in the next few days, I found this site and started with the phone numbers I found on here. After several calls, they scheduled to have our 2003 Trailblazer checked out by the dealer. He determined the instrument cluster was bad (duh!) Anyway, a few more days passed, and I was polite all along, since this vehicle is now officially over the 7-year limit put on similar models with the same problem. Sure enough, persistance payed off, and the dealership called yesterday, and GM verified today that they will cover the cost of the part (>$350) if we would pay the labor (estimated at $84). I am a happy man. :)
    Thanks Michelle and GM!
  • maggie8656maggie8656 Member Posts: 5
    I was driving on I-77 today when I noticed my speedometer was showing 90 MPH and I know I was not driving that fast. I checked out the Edmunds website to see if anyone else was having this problem and read the other messages. I tried the starting and restarting; after about 5 restarts the indicator finally went to 0. I plan on calling Chevy loaded with the information I have read in this forum to see if they will help.

I am also having a problem with the "Service Engine Soon" light. My dealer said a cylinder head needs replacing due to #2 valve dropping/sticking and they quoted a price of $2939.80. This was after the Service Engine Soon Light came on the first time and I paid $636.96 because I was told it was to repair my cruise control. I have taken my Trailblazer to two other Chevrolet dealers for diagnostic and they cannot find anything wrong as suggested by my dealer. At this point, I feel very unsafe driving this vehicle and I do a lot of long distance driving. Any thoughts??
  • boo4gmboo4gm Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just read your post, and was hoping you would have the phone number for GM handy. My speedometer and temp gauge stopped working a while ago, and I just didn't know where to begin with getting them fixed. Sounds like you had good luck, so I thought I would call the same number you did.

Thanks!
    Sabrina
    I got this number from a previous post on the forum. 866-790-5700. Good luck, and don't give in lightly. Remind them that there are over 140 posts on this site alone relating to this problem, and that the instrument cluster on most of the other LT/SUVs manufactured in this time frame are covered, the TB is not! Badger your local dealer... after all, he's gonna get paid no matter what on this issue. He's just trying to protect his local GM rep, but so what... who's protecting you? General Motors, let's hope. They helped me, so no bad mouth here... I'm a satisfied customer! :)
    I have not called yet, but the telephone number I have is 1-800-222-1020. You will need to provide your VIN # and mileage. I will be interested in how responsive they will be to your problem. I am hoping GM will be able to help with the cost of repairs especially after reading all the posts concering the same problem others have had with their TBs.
    Did you call the toll free number first? or did you take it to a dealer first?
    I called the toll free number at GM and while I was on the phone, they contacted my local dealer, who then made an appointment with me to have the problem diagnosed. That was at no charge to me, since GM initiated the call! The dealer determined that the instrument cluster was indeed bad, and after about a week of calls back and forth from GM to me, the dealer, the local GM rep, etc., they called and offered to purchase the part if we were willing to pay the labor. Good luck to all you "squeaky wheels"! :)
    I called the toll free number first (and the GM Customer Call center is located in Manila, Philipines)....I was told to take my TB to the dealer to do diagnostic testing and they would contact the dealer. I also was given a case number. My issues with my TB are actually two fold. One is the speedometer which happened recently and the other which has happened twice is, according to my dealer, a cylinder head needs replacing due to #2 valve dropping/sticking. This conclusion was reached after a misdiagnosis the first time to which unnecessary repairs were made. The dealer is now sure this is the actual problem. So, now I have both issues in the hands of GM to see if they will help with either or both.
  • mad_jestermad_jester Member Posts: 1
    Man i got this sweet 2005 chevy trailblazer. Just recently my speedometer started acting remedial. So i go to the shop and they want to charge me like $800 for me to get it fix. I'm like dang what else you going to do to it. So i check this site out and get the Chevy number and hit them up they talking about "I have to qualify for the problems other people been having." My car only got like 50,000 miles on it. That piece still new. Now i got to get my car inspected and what not. What they want me to do!!!! I should have Honda. If you want to get a kick out of you day call this number and listen to the bull snish they tell you 1-800-222-1020.
    Update on my issue with the speedometer on my 2004 TB. I called GM 1-800-222-1020) and was advised to take my vehicle to the dealership for a diagnostic to make sure the cluster motor was the problem; and it was. No charge for the diagnostic; I will pay labor which is 108.17 and dealership will pay for the parts $238.55. Thanks to everyone for your help!
    edited February 2010
    Good for you. My labor was a little less, and they said the part cost a little more, so who really knows? The important thing is that you will know how fast you are traveling, and didn't get stuck for the whole thing. If they ever do issue a recall later, we will still qualify for a refund on the labor, so keep your receipts and check in every now and then! ;)
    Well, I may have spoke too soon....I called my dealer to schedule an appointment to fix the speedometer and I was told by my service advisor that the GM rep did not mention any of this to them. If I want the speedometer fixed I will have to pay for parts and labor. I called GM and left a message with them but so far no returned telephone call. I am really tired of dealing with this. I expect there is more to come! Anyway, we are going to the car show this weekend.....it doesn't look good that we will buy another GM product in the future. :(
  • rkramerrkramer Member Posts: 1
    I had similar issues with my 02 TrailBlazer. The dealer wanted to change the instrument panel for about $500. I decided to wait awhile because it was still running OK but gauges , tach and speedo were intermitently goofy! After about a year it started having trouble starting. At that point I put a new battery in and all the problems went away and never came back. It seams that the battery had a short in it all along but the current leakage was only enough to wreak havoc with the gauges but did not affect anything else until the battery deteriorated further. I'm surprised how many mechanics i have talked to don't know about this problem. the new battery cost $65!
    A new battery didn't fix my problem. About 3 weeks ago, I came out of the grocery store and my TB wouldn't even turn over. Had to call AAA who determined it was the battery and replaced it (at a higher cost than the stores I am sure). Last week my check engine light came on, AutoZone told me it was low on coolant so we added coolant and the lgiht went off. Next day it came back on. A neighbor knows somebody who can diagnose and they reset the check engine light and reset the speedometer back to zero when idle, next day speedometer started acting up again but check engine light has not returned. I think I am going to have to call GM on this one.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Timolad,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you have been experiencing issues with your vehicle. Can you please email me with more information on your concerns, so I can look into it further? You can access my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    So the GMCUSTSVC contacted me through this forum. They gave me a case number and connected me to my local dealer to set up an appointment. The dealer just called me. $510 to fix the cluster and $450 to fix the gas gauge which is some kind of sensor in the fuel tank. They said the reason GM isn't assisting in the repair is the car is a 2005 and has 85k+ miles. They knew that before they created the case. I am very disappointed in GM at this point. I have been thinking about a new vehicle, guess it won't be GM!
    After my last post, GM contacted me again. I told them I felt they should cover the instrument cluster repair. I told them I felt it only right for them to cover the repair especially since it is a known problem and I heard there was a fix for Tahoes for the same problem. They called me back today and told me they were going to cover the cost of the part but I needed to cover the labor. The dealer called me to see if I wanted them to go ahead and order the part and said the labor would be $250. The dealer later said they spoke with GM and did some fenagling and my cost will be $125. I am very pleased with this result. Good Customer Service for a change from a big money company.
    Good for you! I also had a satisfying experience, and will have to say that I am pleased with the GM Customer Service. So glad they are doing the right thing.
  • one4tkone4tk Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I bought an 05 TB in Aug of 2007. By Jan of 08 we started noticing problems with the speedometer sticking. Called our local dealer and found out it would be 500 to fix. Didnt have 500 so decided to deal with it since we could reset but after almost two years of waiting for possible recall it is happening more often and can only drive short distance with out it sticking. Dont understand why GM wont stand by their product. My in-laws had the same problem with their Tahoe and GM covered their repair. Now the gas gage has also quit working. Still dont have 500 to fix but dont like having to use a garmin to determine how fast I am driving. What is the best course of action. It seems some have luck contacting GM and others not so much. Is sending a letter the better answer? Should my husband try to fix it himself? not sure about that dont want to make matters worse.
    Hello One4tk,
    I am from GM Customer Service. I apologize that you are experiencing a concern on your vehicle. Can you please email me more information about your situation so I can look into it further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
  • larryk1952larryk1952 Member Posts: 1
    With all due respect to the GM customer service people who look at these posts, this seems to be a significant problem in Trailblazers and I suspect GM is ignoring the problem because it would cost a lot to fix it on a recall basis. To me, it is a serious problem because it is dangerous. I was going about 130 km/h (Canada) around a curve with my speedometer reading about 80 km/h (roughly 50 mph). I didn't kill myself but it sure showed my speedometer was reading wrong. You will see this problem all over the web. Anyway, with GM as difficult to deal with on this issue, there is a business on eBay (clusterrepairman) that will fix a cluster replacing the defective c5.168 stepper motors with x25.168 stepper motors for around $60 plus $16 postage. But you do have to take out the cluster yourself and send it to him. You can call him and he can walk you through the steps which are not all that hard. It's a much better solution than trying to get the dealers to do it.
    You are Right. We shouldn't have to beg for help from GM. Customers now feel that any help from GM is satisfactory. IT IS NOT!!!! They need to re-call this and pay back everyone who had it fixed themselves. This shouldn't be a handout. It's a major safety defect!!!
    Come on GM, OWN UP TO YOUR MISTAKES. Don't target the Japanese car companies if you can't take care of your own problems.
  • rpdherrerarpdherrera Member Posts: 1
    Having issues with the speedometer like all the 134 post on Edmunds, this is indeed a very dangerous malfunction and a huge liability on GM's part. Let alone we had to bail them out of their from filing BK, and they can't help us. My trailblazer like everyone elses, cost me money, my hard earned money, for this to starting happening is unacceptable. TB has 37,000, and today I was driving in the city street, and the speedometer read (not kidding) 140mph. this is my family car, and my children are with me most of the time. I don't have 500 - 850.00 to fix this. and I need my car to go to work ,take the kids to school. As soon as the car hit 36,000 miles it started having all kinds of issue, it is almost as if GM programs it' s vehicles to go haywire as schedules,
  • adman999adman999 Member Posts: 2
    What do you know...The speedometer on my 2004 Trailblazer with 40,000 miles stopped working, or should I say working correctly. As it sits in the garage right now it is stuck on 110 mph. Usually falls to the bottom when I am driving. It went out as I was driving over a winding mountain road and I had no idea how fast I was going approaching dangerous turns. I did a google search to find out how to get it fixed and came accross numerous sites with people having the same problem. Unbeleivable! Glad to see some people were taken care of by GM. We shall see how it works out for me.
  • michelle1967michelle1967 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I bought a 2005 trailblazer it has 72000 miles on it. The fuel gauge went out about a year ago and this morning on my way to work the speedometer stopped working. I also had to have someone disconnect my seat because it wouldn't go to the home position unless I wiggled the wires under my seat and would drain my battery if I forgot. I see alot of people are having problems with the fuel gauge and the speedometer and want to know what GM is going to do about it. These items should be recalled. This is a safety issue and they should be fixing these problems at no charge. What advice can anyone give me? I can't afford a lot of money! Thanks for any input!!!!!! :(
    Hello Michelle1967,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me more information so I can look into your situation further? You can get my email by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Mariah I clicked on your name but did not get an email address!
    Hello Michelle1967,
    My email is socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you,
  • adman999adman999 Member Posts: 2
    Here is an update: I called GM like many others and told them my speedometer stopped working. The customer service rep told me that because my Trailblazer had such low mileage that there was probably something they could do to help. She instructed me to take it to the dealership for a diagnoses but I would have to pay out of pocket. She assured me that the money I spent would be applied to any arrangement that we came up with. I received a call a few days later from GM saying that they were not going to do anything. Gee Thanks GM. I called to say my speedometer didn't work and they convinced me to give them $65 to tell me my speedometer didn't work. Rather genius of them. You won't fool me twice GM. I am done with you. Good luck to everyone else having problems.
  • jmaherjmaher Member Posts: 4
    OK, I was message #1 on this thread, posted in October of 2007. Just to let you know, I tried following up w/ GM a long time ago and just learned to live with the problem. The ONLY significant problem I ever had with my Trailblazer was this speedometer issue, and after +240K miles I finally traded it in reluctantly. After decades of GM/Chevrolet loyalty I now own an Audi and it is a shame that GM never took this issue and customer loyalty seriously.

Frankly, GM will never address this issue because to them it is not a safety issue. As the driver of a vehicle you always have the obligation to drive a safe speed, regardless of what the speed limit is or how fast the car says you are going.

I suggest getting an Audi A4 Quattro with the premium options package. It is awesome.

Of course, Audi may be the next recall for all I know but so far so good. Good luck!
  • brokencheytb2brokencheytb2 Member Posts: 2
    OMG, I have been living with this problem for almost two years, not knowing it was happening to others (guess what? now it's not under a warranty). I stumbled upon this site due to another 2004 trailblazer problem (loud sound from under the rear of truck). My local dealer said it would cost $500 to fix the gas gauge. Unfortunately, who has that kind of money. So, I have been relying on the gas light and smells and sounds of the car. Why is GM handling this problem one customer at a time. I need help with this unsafe vehicle. I'm still paying for this piece of junk. :sick:
    Hello Brokencheytb2,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern on your vehicle. Can you please email me your VIN so I can look into your situation further? You can get my email address by clicking on my name. Thank you,
    Well I called the Chevy.com customer service they gave me a file number and told me it had to be diagnosed. It cost $186,02 to tell me the Instrument cluster had to be replaced at a cost of $400.00 and the fuel sensor had to be replaced at a cost of $445.00. All of which I knew from reading this site. They then called me back to tell me that since my vehicle which is a 2005 was so old and had 73000 miles on it that they could not help me. They said at some point it is the owners responsibility to fix the vehicle. I asked why there wasn't a recall on it. They said even if people are having problems doesn't mean they recall it. It is quite obvious that Chevy doesn't care about thier customers. Speedometers going out is a saftey issue. It is just an accident waiting to happen. Wait till someone gets killed then fix it Chevy! Maybe there will be a recall then! Chevy should be ashamed of the way they treat thier customers!!!!! Very disappointed.
  • xchevyownerxchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    I am having the same Speedometer and Fuel gauge problem as everyone else. I paid $500 to get the Fuel gauge working last year. Now a month ago my fuel gauge started giving me random readings and just last week my speedometer started giving me random readings (90 mph at a stop sign). Has anyone found a fix to this problem? And at what cost?
    It's the Instrument Cluster and costs $400.00 to fix that is quoted by a Chevy Dealer. I just got the quote on 6/21/10 after they did a diagnosis check!
  • mslaurielynnmslaurielynn Member Posts: 3
    I have been having significant problems with my 2005 Trailblazer's speedometer since January of 2010. Have contacted numerous people with no call backs and now I am considering an attorney. It seems there are enough people out there with the same problem yet GM refuses to do anything about it. Do they not realize how important it is to have a working speedometer? Does someone have to die before there is something done? I only have 54,000 miles on this vehicle that I purchased last August. It isn't right when other Chevy trucks with the same problem have been recalled and the Trailblazer owners are just stuck with forking out upward of $600 to have the problem fixed or keep driving the vehicle the way it is while waiting for an accident to happen. There are definitely enough complaints for GM to take this seriously. :confuse: :mad:
  • xchevyownerxchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    Thanks Michelle, as soon as this is fixed I will be selling. This will be $900 I have invested in the Speedometer and Gas Gauge (on a 5 year old car).
    Hello Mslaurilynn,
    I apologize that no one has contacted you back. Have you spoken to the dealership you bought the vehicle from about the speedometer? Did the vehicle come with a warranty? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    mslaurielynn
    GM Cust Serv has been monitoring this website selecting who and when to respond to various complaints. I have had the same problems. Paid to have them tell me 'yep it's broken', and numerous phone calls with the local dealer and with GM. It all 'looked' good but in the end, I got the shaft. I ended up fixing it myself with info I found on the internet, not GM. It's time for a Major class action suit against GM. They jumped all over Toyota when they had their issues, but can't take care of their own. They have made partial payment to some for repairs, but the bottom line is they should be taking 100% responsibility for this one. Let me know if you need any support when you see your attorney.
  • jason_wilsonjason_wilson Member Posts: 1
    I too am having the same problem. I just got back from a deployment to find that my car's (trailblazer) speedometer no longer works. Worse yet, the mode button for my AC stopped working too. Now I can only get AC on my feet which means my car is always hot and my feet are always freezing. What is Chevy's deal? I support/encourage buying American products but I cant support buying crap. My wife and I are looking for another car too and will never return to Chevy. I cannot leave my wife with an unreliable car while being deployed. I cant believe we bailed out this horrible company!!!!!