Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

Comments

• mslaurielynnmslaurielynn Member Posts: 3
    Mariah,
    I sent you the information you asked for. I am hoping this issue can be resolved.
  • mslaurielynnmslaurielynn Member Posts: 3
    rich888
    It is a shame to see so many people with the same problem and have GM do nothing to help. Just went to have my oil changed yesterday and the mechanic said "I see you have one of the Trailblazers with the wacked out speedometer." He proceeded to tell me that he has a Tahoe that had the same problem and that was under recall so he got his fixed for nothing. Guess the other truck owners get special treatment.
  • apop1apop1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in awe of how many people have the same problem with no recall. I bought my 03 two years ago at a Chevy dealer with 70K and the speedometer has been messed up for the past few months. I hope GM is looking at these posts and contacts us to have it fixed. You all know what happened to Toyota, the same may start happening here. I have two personal Chevy products and I have been purchasing them at work for quite some time. This may be a reason to start looking at other companies again.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello Jason_Wilson,
    I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed for the concern? How long has the concern been present? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage so that I can look into your situation further? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Hello Apop1,
    I apologize that you are having a concern with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle diagnosed? Can you please email me your VIN and current mileage? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • lrjnvalrjnva Member Posts: 3
    I have the same issue with my 05 Trailblazer. Speedometer went dead at 54000 miles, fuel guage shortly thereafter. I contacted GM last year and was informed that Trailblazer was not part of the recall. They could not tell me what caused the problem. I told them that I wanted to report the problem on my vehicle so they would have a record that the issue was on more vehicles than they listed. I contacted them again this year and I was surprised that they had no record of my speedometer problem. The customer service rep told me to go in and pay for a diagnostic and if it showed a cluster problem that they would pay for the diagnostic and the replacement. I paid and the dealer agreed that it was a cluster issue. We will see if GM does the right thing and fixes what it knows is a defective part.
    edited July 2010
    Well folks, good luck. GM does nothing. I posted earlier that GM had told me to go and get a diagnostic (paid $99) and that if the diagnostic showed a cluster problem they would fix and reimburse me for the $99. This was a bold faced lie.. :mad: DO NOT PAY FOR THE DIAGNOSTIC THEY WILL NOT COVER AND THEY WILL NOT REIMBURSE REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU ARE TOLD. I had the diagnostic done Friday and it verified a cluster problem. The report was sent to GM and I was "elevated" to another person who in the first conversation asked me how many GM's I've purchased (4 in 12 years but obviously not enough) and a few other questions regarding maintenance (all done at 3 dealerships but obviously not enough). I recieved a call back today and was informed that there would be no reimbursement because of the age of the vehicle (05) and that they would not even offer a discount, though the dealership offered me a 10% discount which would bring the cost down to $1,029. The result of my good faith conversation with GM was that I paid $99 for the dealer to tell me my Speedometer and Gas Gauge doesn't work. I guess they figured I was a blind driver.. This is the last GM I ever buy and it makes me sick that I have supported this company for the past 12 years. Good bye buy American bug. I am the original owner and this happened at 54000 miles. Anyone finds a lawyer w/ class action count me in. LRJnVA@aol.com
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    We ask that you not include your email address in postings to the Forums. Thanks!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • lottcmlottcm Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your post. I was told that I would have to have a diagnostic done before they would help me too. Glad I didn't instead of 500.00 to fix plus diagnostic. I have an 04. This is a last 4 me too. My second one. Known problem tm refuses to fix due to age of vehicle. I bought used and still am paying on it... complete refusal to assume responsibility. Sound familiar?
  • jabanesejabanese Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my speedometer in my 2003 Trailblazer as well. Of course I have around 88K miles but it is about time for me to get a vehicle inspection sticker and the speedometer reads 120 MPH. I wish that Chevy would take a very hard look at this problem because it is a major safety concern!
  • goodylorettagoodyloretta Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2005 Trailblazer with 78,000 miles on it from a local dealer. The car runs great, however two days ago the speedometer suddenly started to malfunction. It indicated that I was going 70 mph standing still and over 120 mph when I was going with the flow of traffic. After I shut off the car and restarted it a few hours later the car indicated I was going 50 mph standing still, the speedometer kept decreasing the idling speed each time I shut the car off and restarted it. Now the car is back to 0 however for how long. Also my front blower for my A/C just stopped working today. Is it possible that this too is related to the instrument cluster?
    Hello Goodyloretta,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. Since you just bought the vehicle did you take it back to the dealership and have them look at it? Thank you,
  • dragonstunnadragonstunna Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2004 chevy trailblazer that i bought about 2 years ago. everything works great except for the most simple and important feature, the gauges on the dash. the tachometer goes crazy, the oil pressure gauge is off the chart, the battery gauge reads 0 sometimes and the speedometer works when it wants to. now, a car less than 10 years old and under 100,000 miles should not have this kind of problem in my opinion. thank goodness the gas gauge is the only thing that works right, or i'd run out of gas while driving. i was quoted at a local chevy dealer for $700 plus tax to replace the cluster, which would probably mean around $1000; i think that is unacceptable. if tahoes, suburbans and silverados are getting their clusters recalled and replaced for free, we trailblazer owners should have the same coverage. i have been a loyal gm customer, my first car was an oldsmobile, my second was a blazer and now a trailblazer. if gm won't do anything about this problem, now i understand why they dropped their slogan "mark of excellence." i have never owned a foreign car because i believed american cars were more solidly built from prior experience. this simple yet crucial component needs to be one of the most reliable piece of equipment of any vehicle, for safety's sake and the problems must be fixed before someone dies from malfuncitioning speedometers, or dies from being stranded because of malfunctioning gauges.
  • skineboyskineboy Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2010
    I have the same issue with my 04 trailblazer. About a year and a half ago the speedometer started acting up, working sometimes and not working other times. I called GM after doing some research and finding out about all of the recalls for the cluster on all of the full sized GM trucks. Was told the same as the rest of you, go get a diagnosis. I told them it wasn't going to happen unless they could guarantee they would pay for the dealership to tell me what I already knew. They wouldn't so I never got it diagnosed or fixed. A $100 GPS does the trick just fine rather than spending that money to have them tell me the cluster is messed up. GM is the only type of vehicle I have ever owned. This will be the last.
  • nlchevytrailblnlchevytrailbl Member Posts: 6
    Hi There,

I have just traded my 1995 Chevy Lumina LS for a 2005 Trailblazer LTZ. During the testdrive the speedometer/tachometer was already malfunctioning. The salesman thought it was a battery low problem, but it wasn't. Anyhow, at the end the dealer has to fix this. I do not know whether they will be replacing the entire instrument cluster or just repairing the meters, if that is possible. It will not cost me any money though. Besides I will get 4 new tires, to start with. Rest of the car is fine and I am really looking forward to it.Wonder how long it will take them to get my car ready. Depends whether they can repair the speedometer or have to order a new one from the States.

Browsing this forum, the speedometer (instrument cluster) seems to be a common problem for Chevy trucks. I assume the original cluster is still available.

Regards,

Daniel.
    Amsterdam, Netherlands
  • timoladtimolad Member Posts: 6
    NHTSA is investigating the problem with the gas gauge problem as a major safety issue. My suggestion to everybody who has had the cluster and/or gas gauge and accompanying O2 sensor problem go to the NHTSA website and enter a complaint. Maybe after investigating, they will convince GM to do a recall so those of us who have spent our hard earned money getting these repairs can be reimbursed.
  • apop1apop1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info on NHTSA. I called GM Customer Service at (800)222-1020 to give the benefit of the doubt since I own 2 Chevy's and used to be a Fleet Manager. They basically said there was no issued with my VIN even though I pointed out all the isssues. I then called NHTSA at (888)327-4236 and filed a complaint. Guess what, they have received a ton about the same issue with the instrument cluster and my case will be assigned with 24 hours. GM is following this blog since it is on edmunds, but I guess they aren't seeing the rest. You just lost a loyal customer and I have pointed out these issues to quite a few friends, including Fleet Managers. File your complaint, the least GM could do is help U.S. citizens who helped bail them out. Need further help email me at boboxer@littleappletech.com. Sincerely, Anthony
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    email me at...

Let's keep the discussion here so everyone will benefit. We ask that members not include their email address in postings to our Forums.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • msjkl031msjkl031 Member Posts: 2
    It is horrendous how many posts on here are the same issue as other models that GM offered a recall for. My speedometer is out also and I have a teen daughter needing to leave for college in this car 8 hours away. We also have already replaced several sensors at various costs and an air bag coil that was 500.00. Parts to run a speedometer and an air bag shouldnt wear out, that is ridiculous. I held an extended warranty on this car until 80K miles I have 90K now) and only one sensor was actually covered. The car is serviced regularly and I dont have 1000.00 to fix a speedometer and knowing I need to buy myself a new car this sure sways me away from GM.
    Teri
    Hello Msjkl031,
    I apologize that you are experiencing a concern with your vehicle. You can you please email me with your VIN so I can look into the situation further? You can get my email by clicking on gmcustsvc. Thank you,
  • mark7601mark7601 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Trailblazer EXT speedometer is out also. For no rhym or reason it just does what it wants to while only working a fraction of the time. I see that everyone here going back a couple of years gets nowhere with the dealers or GM customer service. I need to get this fixed as I am going to sell it. Good thing is I just bought a Ford Excursion to replace this piece of crap. I have contacted the NHSTA about my vehicle. What happend to us was we were traveling on the highway and I thought I was going 70 mph but I was really going 50 mph. After a big rig almost rear ended me I turned on my GPS to see what the hell was going on and sure enough the speedo was out. Funny thing is that in 1999 I test drove a blazer at a dealer and not even a mile down the road the instrument cluster went haywire and the vehicle died. I called the dealer and had him come pick it up good thing is that it broke down in front of the Ford dealership and I ended up buying a 2000 F-150. I should have known back then to never come back but I did but I am now gone forever as a customer Government Motors.
  • msjkl031msjkl031 Member Posts: 2
    Mariah,
    GM opened case 71-859421919 today. Although an independent mechanic diagnosed it, they insisted I have the local dealership do the same. I stupidly thought maybe I would get somewhere doing that as this dealership replaced my radiator, several sensors and airbag coil on my dime. 96.00 and 3 hours later they told me so sorry, we cant help you there are no papers listed on this issue even though there are a lot of people talking about this. I wont fix it, I will keep the car as I would only drive it on wekends, and I will help my daughter get a new car, and not a GM.
    Hello Msjkl031,
    I apologize that you have had a less than optimal experience. If a recall is ever performed on that part then you will receive a letter in the mail. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thank you,
  • tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    I have not read through all these posts, but has anyone searched for a remanufactured instrument cluster? I see them on ebay for around $100. If you don't want to do it yourself, then find an independent mechanic to swap it out for you, and tell GM to take a hike next time you buy a new car.

I especially distrust GM's "100,000 mile" warranty they so highly tout. You have to drive 20,000 miles a year to get that. A recent survey on GasBuddy.com showed that 60% of people drive less than 12,000 miles a year. So GM can get out of the other 40,000+ miles by limiting the time to 5 years. Having bought GM cars since 1966, next time I will probably take a serious look at a Kia!
  • reelmnsterreelmnster Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    04 TRAILBLAZER GAUGES STARTING TO ACT UP, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, CALLING NHTSA TO FILE COMPLAINT.
    Hi There,

Got to the dealer 2 times, but repair of the instrument cluster did not work out. Currently they have replaced it with a cluster from a 2007 TB LT, they also have for sale. I temporarily cannot use the steeringwheel buttons to access the trip and fuel settings. They have ordered a new panel from the States which has about 3 months delivery time. The panel of the 2007 is still working fine, so I am on the road again ...

Regards,

Daniel
  • tbfurytbfury Member Posts: 1
    Noticed speedometer didn't seem to be accurately registering speed on a recent trip to GA. After getting back home it stopped working - hanging around 120 mph. Husband took to nearby dealer and was given an estimate of about $650 for the cluster panel part alone. I will try calling GM to begin trying to get relief. Thank you all for posting this information. Briefly comforting to know that I am not alone with this issue.
  • cepakcepak Member Posts: 3
    I suggest everyone start flooding the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) with complaints. Go to this website http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm , select "Safety Complaints", then "File an Online Form". You will need your VIN to submit, but you can either get this off your TB or your proof of insurance. There are about 10 complaints filed right now, I think if we put a few hundred more, and mention that GM recalled the Suburban and Tahoe for this same reason, maybe we'll get some results.
  • dclmdclm Member Posts: 1
    GMC made a recall regarding the identical instrument cluster for their 2004 Sierra Pickup truck. The problem was with the speedometer and fuel gauges. Funny, how one branch of the company will recognize a problem and send a recall but the other side cannot see it.
  • lipseyplipseyp Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2010
    Just filed complaint. Took about 3 minutes via telephone. Thanks for all the great advice. Never get correct reading on all gauges on dash panel on my 04 TB.
  • majik52majik52 Member Posts: 1
    I'm amazed at the number of people just on this site that are having the exact problem that I am. My speedometer just quit working and I am taking it to a GM dealership today to get an estimate. Will see just how GM stands behind what appears to be a faulty equipment issue. I'll keep it posted on just how GM handled this. Later
  • dll66dll66 Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2010
    My wife's 2005 Trailblazer speedometer is acting up like all the rest. Called GM with the VIN and GM says there isn't a recall. Bull Crap! When will GM admit there is a problem? :mad: :(
    The instrument panel of my 2005 LTZ TB has a malfunctioning speedometer. Temporarily it is replaced by a 2007 TB panel, but steering wheel buttons are not working though.
    Just called the shop who has ordered a new panel about 2 months ago : They told me that the instrument panel was out of stock and has to be manufactured again. It can take up to 4 months. :confuse:
    Can somebody confirm that the 2005 TB panel is currently unavailable?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Daniel
    (Amsterdam, Netherlands)
    nlchevytrailbl,
    I would recommend calling GM Customer Service for your country. Here is their contact information: 0049-6142-602629. I hope this information helps!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Thanks Christina for your information. In your post you provided a phone number in Germany. I wonder if you could also provide the GM Customer Service phone number in Holland.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Daniel Goedhart
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Your original panel could be repaired easily for much less than the cost of a new one. Google chevrolet instrument cluster problems.
    If your handy at soldering you can pretty easily fix it yourself usually by replacing the stepper motors on it.
    Thanks burdawg for the reply.
    My TB is still under (secondhand half year) warranty, so I have left every repairs in the hands of the shop where I bought it in last August. Costs are not (yet?) of my concern luckily. They have send it away for repair already a couple of times, without success. The needle of the speedometer still got stuck or tended to wind 360-degrees etc.
    So two months ago they changed strategy and ordered a new instrument cluster from the States. I have called them up yesterday for an update, and they informed me that it was completely out of stock and should be manufactured again. I also have the version with the km/h, so that might narrow my options, although I wouldn't mind driving around with a miles/h cluster. They also have send away my original cluster for repair again, maybe we get lucky this time. In the meantime I have a 2007 cluster.
    I was just wondering if the instrument clusters for the 2005 LTZ TB have already been scheduled for manufacturing and how long it might take for them to become available for shipping.

Regards,
    Daniel
    nlchevytrailbl,
    I apologize that is the only number I located for GM Europe. Here is the web site for GM Europe. I apologize it was not able to read it but there is a contact number on this site: http://www.chevrolet.nl/contact/. I hope this information helps!
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • futchbfutchb Member Posts: 1
    Same thing here! Funny thing is I was dead set on a Toyota and against my judgment got the trailblazer........ I bought my 2005 in May w/ 33000 and immediately my gas gauge went out. Fought with the dealer to fix it and now my speedometer is going out. I'm just going to use the gps to track my speed until I decide to fix it. Loved my car but now regretting buying it. Pathetic that there hasn't been a recall yet on this stuff. Way to go Chevy! Won't ever buy you again, hope this is this the reviews you were looking for.
    Unfortunately GM will not back up it's defects. After 20 years of buying GM's I have decided to take my money elsewhere. Talk about dumb. They ran me around the tree, made me pay $99 for a test to verify my speedometer was broken and still didn't cover it. What probably cost GM $150 to fix, their cost not ours, has cost them a lifetime customer. Such a small price to keep one. Poor quality, poor customer service and no integrity. So long...
    Hi all,

Finally got some clarification. Inquired at Parts Centre Holland, connected with the GM-importing company. They told me that instrument panel will only be repaired and not replaced by a new cluster, due to milage fraud issues. My shop had me waiting for a couple of months, but strangely did not provide me with this information. Anyway, next week I will have my original cluster back after it has been send out for repair the third (fourth?) time. Fingers crossed.
    While still in warranty and in case the cluster has not been satisfactory repaired, I will take it to Parts Centre Holland myself, since they have a direct link with GM and thus have experience with these bad instrument clusters and ask them to forward the bill to my shop.

Regards,
    Daniel
  • billyjack1976billyjack1976 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2010
    Count me in. I purchased a new instrument cluster(or refurbished from Chevrolet) last year under warranty. I lasted 14,000 miles and 15 months. The first time it was covered under Extended warranty that I payed for. Now its out again. So they want another 500.00 plus to repair. this looks like a serious problem that is not being addressed. Hey GM contact me. Make me a deal? cut it in half or something. I think this is putting me over the edge for Chevy. Looking at Ford. It's not so much the money to me but PRINCIPLE.
    billyjack1976 ,
    I apologize for your experience. Can you please email me with your contact information including mailing address and a good number to reach you, VIN, current mileage, involved dealer, and Edmunds user name? I would like to look into this for you. I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • botomgunbotomgun Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2010
    Christina,

I have been following this thread for quite some time, as I hope GM is. But I have not seen any real support from from this tax payer bailed out company. I would think at this point, GM would love to take care of those that have kept their company alive. How is this problem with the instrument cluster not being recalled by the manufacturer? It is obvious that it is a very wide spread issue, not only in the cars that stay in America, but also those that are shipped/manufactured overseas.

I have read your replies to various topics in various forums and they are all the same. It seems as though once the member talks about the BBB or legal action, GM wants to intervene. Why wait? Intervene now on behalf of all Americans that have stood by and supported the "Heartbeat of America".

I have had this problem for one year, and it has spread. I now do not have the use of either the speedometer or the gas gauge. I have not contacted a dealer as I am out of warranty. Nor do I desire to fork out an insane amount of money to keep this company afloat (which I am doing by supporting the dealer who buys from GM). I have already done that once (along with the rest of America). I guess I will contact the BBB. Maybe armed with enough of these complaints, they will be successful in getting this problem fixed.

Duane
  • gmcclaygmcclay Member Posts: 1
    I have also had this problem with my 2004 TB. It has been happening for about a year. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. I would say that maybe 10% of the time it works (RPM and Speedometer). I have been told that it is something I should bring to the dealer (local mechanic) but reading these posts I am feeling its going to cost too much. My wifes Suburban just died and we are looking at a new vehicle...one thing I can say is we wont be looking at GMC/Cheverolt.
  • jetsokiejetsokie Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the link to file a complaint. I have a 2005 Trailblazer who's speedometer stopped working over the last couple weeks. I initially thought it was stuck because of the freeze but it hasn't gotten un-stuck days later. I've filed a complaint and hope others do too. I can't speak for others but I know I can't afford to fix this thing so the only way I'll be able to get it fixed is if there's a recall (I won't hold my breath)...
  • xchevyownerxchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    I too am having the same problem on a 2005 Trailblazer. I just spent $400 fixing the sending unit on the gas tank to get the gas gauge to work, now the speedometer only seems to work some of the time. I am not going to spend another $400 to get this fixed. GM should stand behind this issue, or at least publish work instructions on fixing the problem. I would like to file a complaint with GM, but I want to use the same complaint line as everyone else. Could someone reply with the link?
  • xchevyownerxchevyowner Member Posts: 6
    Speedometer on 2005 Trailblazer is misleading. You can be doing 70mph and it will only register 50 mph. Sometimes you can be doing 20 mph and it will register 120 mph. But 80% of the time the speedometer is correct (I think). This can be dangerous, especially to new drivers (my daughter who just turned 16). GM is providing misleading information to the driver and you have no indication that it is incorrect (except for driving experience).

Everyone please file a compliant to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm . You will need to supply your VIN number.

Please use the Keywords "Misleading Information" in your description and title when filing the complaint. "Misleading Information" is something that will raise flags with the safety board. Thanks and please register the complaint.
  • msmgmtmsmgmt Member Posts: 1
    I have 3 friends with Trailblazers and all 3 friends have speedometers that are malfunctioning. I was appauled to be in my best friends Trailblazer the other night and the speedometer was registering between 90 - 105 MPH. According to the GPS, we were doing the speed limit of 45 MPH. I took pictures of this...and I have a picture where it's registering 50 MPH as we are clearly sitting still in front of glass windows of a convienent store. I'm thinking about sending them to Fox News and have Bill O'Reiley investigate why "Government Motor Company" (which is owned by you & me) won't fix this "dangerous malfunction". My friend can't afford to get this issue fixed, which SHOULD be RECALLED....I am thankful my 16 year old daughter isn't learning to drive a Trailblazer. GM, wake up and fix your mistakes.
  • scottw2699scottw2699 Member Posts: 1
    Please everyone having this problem send information to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/index.cfm The more complaints they get the more attention it will get. Getting the news media is another great idea. GM does not like bad press. I know, I work for them.