Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevrolet TrailBlazer Speedometer

Comments

• vader00vader00 Member Posts: 4
    Why don't all of you people just fix your clusters yourselves. I figued out how to fix my 2004 sierra denali truck's cluster (speedometer was erratic) after having the dealer basically tell me to get lost. I help other people up here in Canada by fixing their clusters for them. It is a very easy fix if you have the new cluster parts and can solder and if you are even just a little mechanically inclined. I hate seeing everybody mad about these problems and I try to help as many as I can locally. Too bad GM wasn't as helpful.
  • gmowner6gmowner6 Member Posts: 1
    Were you successful in getting the repair? If so , what's your claim number?
    Thanks
  • jmaherjmaher Member Posts: 4
    This will never be recalled because the newer models don't have the problem and it is not a safety issue. It sounds like from this forum though that once in a while you can convince GM or your dealer to fix it, so keep trying -- just don't hold your breath for a recall.

It is also heartening to hear all of the good experiences with your dealers, I'm glad good stories exist -- frankly, my local Chevrolet dealer in Carroll County MD doesn't operate at such high standards, so while I love my Trailblazer I haven't taken it back for service in quite some time. Luckily I was able to find an HONEST local proprietor to handle any work.
  • MswoodsMswoods Member Posts: 1
    Hello. I noticed in your post that you were able to fix your cluster. I have a 2003 Chevy Trailblazer and the speedometer just gave out. I have a very handyman and he would be capable of fixing it if he knew how. Just wanted to know what magic you performed! Thanks!
  • kkutcher740kkutcher740 Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2004 Trailblazer and the speedometer started going crazy at about 57,000 miles. It read well below the 120 mark. We went online to google what to do and a guy said to unscrew the negative side of the battery cable and just lightly tap it to spark. You don't need to take it all of the way off, just enough to get it loose. Spark it until it moves down to zero. Then screw it back on. My TB actually started with no key in the ignition, all you have to do is tap the brakes and it will turn off. It is just a quick fix because it went out about 2 weeks later and has again once since then. If you don't have the money to get it fixed, this will work temporarily. My next option is to get ahold of GM and see what the heck they are going to do to fix these problems. I really like my TB and would actually like to trade in for the one with the third row seating, but if GM can't take care of their customers I may be looking for another SUV.
  • llcj1llcj1 Member Posts: 1
    The speedometer failed in our 2004 Trailblazer at about 54,000 miles. Thanks to this blog, I got some great advice to call the GM 800 #. My husband called, talked to customer service, explained the problem, and told them we had heard that they had covered the cluster repair for others. We contacted our dealer and were told the part would be paid by GM, but not the labor. We had the repair done, the dealership submitted the cost of the entire repair, labor included, and GM paid it all This is a huge problem and probably should be on a recall. Don't hesitate to call GM, or have your dealer call them, if you have a problem with your cluster panel.

Thanks for the advice,
    llcj1
  • jwil81jwil81 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 05' TB EXT. Just had the samething happen yesterday. Needle in between 0 and 120 when it should be at 0. The next time I started it 0 was 119. This morning when I started it 0 was 114. I called GM last night with no help. I filed a BBB complaint online last night. I just don't understand how they can recall the dash cluster in a truck and suv models except the TB. It's the same damn thing! Hope we get somewhere.
  • waltonpswaltonps Member Posts: 1
    Do you wish to share the idea on how?
    You have to take the cluster apart and then replace the defective guage components with the new updated components. Then you reassemble the cluster and it is done.
  • BroncoBCCBroncoBCC Member Posts: 5
    Where do I send the letter?
  • dalamakdalamak Member Posts: 1
    Does Anyone have a parts list of what needs to be replaced, and any kid of walkthrough, I can Solder so I;d like to try to fix it myself

Email me at dalamak@comcast.net

Thanks
  • gshaw123gshaw123 Member Posts: 1
    The speedometer on my 04 Trailblazer is erratic, gets stuck at different speeds, etc. The car has approx 65K mi with no ext warranty. After seeing how many complaints there were reported on this and many other forums I called Customer Assistance and was told to have a diagnostic test at the dealer (at my cost), then wait for call from GM. Dealer said I needed new Cluster. The next day, GM called and I was told there was nothing they could do. So now I am about $100 in the hole (diagnostic) and still have a broken speedometer. My longtime history of buying GM products may be coming to an end.
  • kiya2jordynkiya2jordyn Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same problem (I actually wrote on this forum months ago) and drove around with a bad speedometer for a year. Finally I went back to Chevy and told them that this was not acceptable and unsafe. The GM customer service called the dealership I bought the vehicle from on my behalf and they agreed to only charge me $100 to get the whole thing fixed. Originally, I went to some other Chevy dealer and they wouldn't help. Of course, because I waited a year from original diagnosis so I had to get a new diagnosis again for $100 but it was well worth it since the dealership sprung for the lowered fix-it fee.

All in all, I was pleased but it took several calls to GM customer service. They analyzed how many GM vehicles I had purchased and where and when, etc. etc. but they ended up helping me ...after a year:)
  • stardreamer418stardreamer418 Member Posts: 1
    I am in the process of selling my car and since the speedometer has been broken for a couple of months was going to fix it before I sold the car. I talked to GM who made a case and once the car was diagnosed they said they were not going to help because my car did not fall within a certain # of cars that they were going to fix- I am now out $480 to fix it. Where do I go from here? I have complained to GM and they are unwilling to help - is there a higher person to contact?
  • rpleb35rpleb35 Member Posts: 5
    Stardreamer......
    As I stated earlier in this post.....I did not get anywhere with GM over the phone. I was advised by a lawyer friend to take 10 minutes out of my day and write GM a letter. Letters are taken more seriously than phone calls and emails. I did just that and within 7 days I had a check in my hand for half of the cost of the repair. I applaud GM for doing this for me. My trailblazer was out of warranty and frankly, they didnt have to give me a dime. I never felt entitled for them to pay for my repair. I just stated in my letter that I was and still am a loyal GM customer (except for the one Ford I bought in 1987) and that I felt it was a part that really should never go bad on any vehicle. I was not harsh in the letter nor did I demand payment. With all this being said, I did this in early 2008 when GM was not in the financial mess they are in now so who knows if they'll take any letter seriously in todays economy.
  • julia255julia255 Member Posts: 1
    I want to thank you all for your post. I took the advise given. My 04 Trailblazer has the cluster panel virus also. I called GM and spoke to Sue, she advised had to go to local Chevy Dealership and have it diagnosed, cost $92. Once this was done I was to call her back and she would call the dealership and see if they could help with the cost of repair, $600+ is what I was quoted. After she talked with the dealership she called me and advised someone else was being assigned to my case and would get back with me within 24 hours. I did received a call from GM and no help was granted, also dealership would not help on the cost. I have purchased 4 vehicles from this dealership all Chevrolets all within the past 10 years. Well needless to say the last call from GM was not even from here in the USA, but some other country. Once I get reid of all of the GM's in my home I am done. I'll by Toyota or Honda, at least you know going in who you are dealing with. How can America bail out GM with our tax money and GM outsources the work. I am a working class American and like so many right now $600 may as well be $6000.
  • dunwithgm2daydunwithgm2day Member Posts: 1
    Here I am writing about the same thing as the rest of you, just hoping the more people read this, the less likely they are to buy GM products. My cluster panel went out, speedometer and tachometer no longer work. I was able to contact someone at Chevy who gave me the impression they were going to fix the problem. I was instructed to take it to the dealer for a diagnostic test, which I did, and proved to be the cluster. A week later the person assigned to my case called and said they are AWARE of the problems with 2003 and 2004 Trailblazers but there isn't anything they can do about it. Their decision is FINAL. But, since I am a loyal GM owner, they are willing to give me a $500 credit towards my next GM new car purchase. You can guess where I told her to stuff it!!!! There won't be any more GM vehicles in my driveway. I have owned GM since the early 80's.........
    I did question the employee as to why there are so many complaints on the web about the cluster panel, and since there are, why aren't they standing behind their product. She did not give me an answer, just kept offering me the $500 credit.
    GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE WHO BUYS A GM!!!!!
  • mulichitamulichita Member Posts: 1
    I am so glad i ran into this site, because when i started having cluster problems i did not know what i was going to do. I did not have a warranty and i knew this type of problem was going to cost me plenty. I took the advice from some people here to call 1800-222-1020 and speak to GM cust service. I spoke to Layla and she told me take my vehicle to have it diagnosed, ofcourse the first thing I thought was, "I am going to have to pay to have it diagnosed, and they are going to tell me they can't do anything." I did let her know of my fear, but ofcourse they can't proceed unless they have a diagnosis. I took it on a friday to the dealerhip where i purchased my trailblazer. I called her to let her know, and when it was diagnosed she verified it and called me to let me know she would hand it to a case worker. They could not come up with a solution until Monday or Tuesday. I was very upset about that, but still stayed calm and asked to speak to a supervisor, ofcourse she gave me the whole thing about the supervisor is going to tell me the same thing. I told her i understood, but i still wanted to speak to one. I spoke to a supervisor and they escalated the issue to the case worker that same day. I received a call from the case worker saying ofcourse my vehicle was not on the recall list but they would see what they could help me with. She would call me back monday with a decision. The dealership wanted to know if i wanted to proceed and replace the cluster. I told them i really did not want to go ahead without knowing if i was going to get some type of assistance, because the cost was going to be a little under $600. Luckily the service advisor at the dealership said he would speak to his manager and he called me back saying i would only pay $200. To me that was way better that $600, but ofcourse i think they should be solely responsible for this problem. I gave the ok to have my vehicle repaired. Monday came around, and i spoke to the case worker at GM and she said that she called the dealership because she was going to work something out and found out they are going to help me. I did ask her if they could cover the remaining $200 i had to pay, but ofcourse she said they would have done the same thing and work something out with the mgr at the dealership. She just told me to keep my receipt for the $200 and if they do a recall they will reimburse me. I went to pick up my vehicle on monday and the service advisor said i only had to pay $77.50, I was very happy about that, but i will still keep my receipt. I really am very happy with the dealership for really stepping in and helping me with this matter. I feel that may GM cust service might have helped me, but i don't know with how much. I would still tell anyone else having this problem to still call GM cust service and try to get assistance from the dealership. I feel be very persistent but not rude with customer service and the same with the dealership.
  • hatechevy1hatechevy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with this cluster or whatever. This is my first and last Chevorlet product. I am a single school teacher and there is noway I can spend $100.00 just to find out what's wrong with my Trail Blazer, I mean "well dudh" it's not working!!!!!!!!!
    I hope the "jerks" at GM all go down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had been a loyal Ford owner all my life until I was talked into this piece of sh-- by a GM "jerk"!!!
    I know all this ranting doesn't solve my problem but at least I have it off my chest. lol
    Am currently trying to get rid of the Trail Blazer and purchase a Honda Fit or Ford Focus.
  • gregw44gregw44 Member Posts: 6
    I have this exact same problem with my '03 Trailblazer EXT... Called GM and found that they actually have a recall on this for every vehicle in this class except the trailblazer. They opened a claim and asked my to get a diagnostic at my expense ($85.) Needing the vehicle for a vacation, I decided to go ahead and have the work done to repair this. GM initiated the investigation and told me (two days later) that there was nothing that they could do for my because this was an isolated incident and I was the first one they had seen. I had the work done at my local Chevy dealership and they told me that they actually see 2 or 3 of these a week... and I live in a small town in KY... I can only imagine how many they see in a bigger city. At any rate, the repair cost me $453.26 for everything.
    I have done a little research on the speedometer issue and have found out that there was a class action lawsuit against GM for this exact thing in the Seattle, Tacoma, Portland area but it is limited to those areas. Does anyone know of anything in the KY area or nationwide? I would like to find some way to fight this and at least recoup some of my losses. Good luck to all.

I filed a complaint on the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) website and I advise everyone to do this... it is a good way to create a recall and we may be able to recoup some of our losses... at least. Here is a link: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

Also....Just for those who do not know, GM was nice enough to inform me that there was an open recall for the rear door latch so you may want to look into that if your door has not just opened for no reason at all while rounding a corner...yet.
    RPLEB35....

To whom did you send this letter ... and would you be willing to post a copy for the rest of us?

Thanks,

Greg
  • rpleb35rpleb35 Member Posts: 5
    Greg....

Heres the letter I wrote:

General Motors Corporation
    PO Box 33170
    Detroit, MI 48232

Dear Sir,

I have been a loyal GM buyer for 25 years buying at least twelve of your vehicles with the exception of one Ford which was a mistake. I am currently the owner of two Chevrolet cars. A 2002 Chevy Monte Carlo and a 2004 Chevy Trailblazer. I was having a problem with my Trailblazer and I am hoping your company will stand behind its product and help me. This vehicle has 47,000 miles on it and my speedometer and tachometer quit working. My speedo would stick at certain areas and never move and my tach was stuck at 0. I took it in for diagnosis and my mechanic told me the problem was a cluster motor and that it would run about 500 dollars to repair. I was a bit shocked at the price and only paid for the diagnosis at that time leaving the speedo at its current setting. I was then told that this is a common problem in the Trailblazers and that he (my mechanic) fixes at least 15 to 20 a year. After doing my own investigating, I found out that this IS a problem with the Trailblazers. I have found numerous complaints about TB speedos in GM's own forum on its website along with edmunds.com, justanswer.com and a few other. I also read that GM has a recall on this same problem for Tahoes and Silverados along with a couple of class action suits in Washington and Oregon. I am wondering why GM would have a recall on two vehicles for this problem and not the Trailblazers. It has to be the same components in all three vehicles.
    I had no choice but to fix my problem because it was irritating and a safety issue. I feel that this is a part that should never go bad on a vehicle. I have had a couple of cars with over 200,000 miles on them and have never experienced this before. My Monte Carlo has 110,000 miles on it and that speedo works just fine. I believe that GM should make this right for me since I am sure GM is quite aware of this problem.
    Enclosed is my bill for what I paid to fix this problem. I am not asking GM to cover the entire bill but either the part or the labor.
    I am beginning to question my loyalty to GM after I called customer service and was basically told there was nothing GM could do. Why should I be loyal to a company that isnt loyal to me? I am understanding now why foreign cars are taking over this country. I have never owned one but will definitley take a good look at one as soon as I am ready to buy another vehicle.

Regards,
    RPLEB35

Thanks for posting the letter. I have a few other things that I am trying first but I will try that if I cannot get a resolution another way. Thanks again for your help.

Greg
  • ehoffbuhrehoffbuhr Member Posts: 8
    Hey everyone!

So I have a 2004 Trailblazer with the same problems as all of you, but since I am in OR I have been researching this mysterious "lawsuit" I keep hearing about. It turns out it is real and the case has been closed....WE WON! GM/Chevy lost the case and ALL OWNERS IN THE UNITED STATES are covered for this problem! Here are the links to the attorneys involved and the outcome:

http://tbscases.com/tbscases/casedetail.php?id=19

www.speedometersettlement.com/

But, OF COURSE, I just called my local dealership to schedule a time to fix this problem and they told me they had never heard of such a lawsuit and they would call me back after they researched it. But the information is valid and if they tell me NO there will be some problems! I will definitely call the Chevy 800 number if the dealer tells me they won't do it, because they are required by law to fix this! I will repost when I get a response from the dealer. Hope this helps some of you from this RIDICULOUS problem!
    So here's a follow up for the previous post... I talked to to the dealer AND the Chevy customer support line, and both places denied that the Trailblazer was eligible to be fixed for free. I told them that I was literally staring at an attorney's website that explicitly states every 2004 Trailblazer owner with less than 70k miles will get the cluster fixed FREE.....and they both said there was no such ruling and I would have to pay to fix it. Needless to say, I am heading down there tomorrow, printed documents in hand, and am having a talk with the manager. I will let you all know the outcome.
    EHOFFBUHR....

Just wanted to say thanks for the head's-up. I have printed the necessary forms and obtained all the necessary information and will send in this weekend. I am at 72000 miles so I will only be getting a partial refund but... it is better than nothing.

You haven't, by chance, heard anything about a problem with the transmission... have you? That just went out as well... I am really starting to not like this vehicle very much. Oh well.... Wish me luck and thanks again for your help.
    Well I took my Trailblazer in to get checked out and the guy told me it would be $480 to fix the cluster, but that he talked to someone at Chevy and they ARE in the process of honoring the lawsuit outcome. He told me if I send in the claims form after paying for the new parts that I would be given a refund. Now I just hope it isn't like most refunds that take a year before you get any money back!

And gregw44, as for the transmission, my brother has an 05 Trailblazer and he had to replace his transmission about a year ago. I am definitely going to sell my car as soon as the speedo is fixed so I can avoid all of the problems he has had!! Whether the transmission is a widespread problem, I'm not sure. But I know that after my brother fixed his, the car basically started falling apart so I wouldn't be surprised if it is happening to a lot of people.
  • bcorpbcorp Member Posts: 1
    This does not seem to be a random failure, but a consistent problem for many GM customers. Mine is similar, yet intermittent. The speedometer goes haywire when the ambient temperature reaches around 85 F, then it just goes wild, standing still it reads 80-100 or more. Temperature drops and a few days later it is operating normal(?). This is just a guess, what is normal when one does not have any reliable consistency? From what I have discovered there are small plastic motors that operate the indicator arms. These motors are made by Swatch, the watch guys. These obviously are not dependable, maybe their watches should be called into question also. What would be the right thing to do? We all know what that is, but do we live in a country where people and companies are responsible anymore? No, it seems as though our government has seen fit to reward the failures and to punish those of us who support these companies. I have owned only GM products since 1959, many autos and trucks. Never have I seen neglect like this in the past. This reflects why GM has to go away or change it's approach to business and their customers.
  • didih1963didih1963 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with by 05 Trailblazer. I'm going about 160 mph at a stand still and my gas gage always says I'm on empty. What is the latest with this? Are the local dealers now aware that they have to fix this?
    Well I am pretty sure the dealers are aware of the trial outcome (in Oregon at least) but they are saying they still haven't gotten the go ahead from Chevy to cover the cost of the repair. So for now we just have to pay for the repair and then send in the claims form that can be found at http://www.speedometersettlement.com/. The claim form says you should hear within 60 days if they will pay you back or not.
    Hey guys...here's a little update to my never ending Chevy saga:

So about a week ago I submitted my claims form along with my repair invoice and payment receipt to the address provided on the claims form...and I got a call today from a RUDE RUDE RUDE GM customer service rep saying Trailblazers are not covered under this lawsuit. WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT??? On the attorney's website for this class action settlement, it EXPLICITLY states that Trailblazers are covered. The customer service rep argued with me and finally hung up on me after I told her I wasn't taking no for an answer. I just emailed the attorney involved in this lawsuit and can't wait to hear back. I will let you all know what they say. I do know one thing, however...CHEVY IS GOING DOWN!
  • dhamernikdhamernik Member Posts: 8
    I did the same thing. Clicked on the link, filled out the claim and submitted mine a week ago. I just received a call from GM stating that only FULL SIZE trucks and SUVs are included in this settlement and not Trailblazers, and yet they could and would not provide me a copy of the notice. I am not sure WHY they are the only vehicles covered, since those were recalled and our trailblazers were not!

I am anxious to hear what the attorney says. GM is providing their information and reason for denial in writing to me so I will have it that they are refusing to reimburse me the cost of repair. :mad: :mad: :sick: :sick:
    So, this just may be the last in my series of posts chronicling my attempt to get my Trailblazer's speedometer fixed for free. After getting rejected by GM for reimbursement after sending them the claims for from the lawsuit website, I emailed the attorneys involved in the suit and they told me they made a mistake. Trailblazers are in fact NOT covered by the lawsuit, and the sentence saying they are covered has since been removed from their website. WHAT THE HELL WAS THE LAWSUIT FOR THEN? There was already a recall for all th other models, so what's the need for the case? I am royally pissed off now...I am still going to talk to Chevy again and get them to at least pay for part of the repair like some others have done on this forum... :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • hatechevy1hatechevy1 Member Posts: 2
    WELL that does it for me! I will NEVER by another GM product, am currently trying to trade my Trail Blazer for a FORD!!! I was talked in this piece of "junk" by a used to be friend who was a HUGE gm fan!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope the go UNDER so bad, no bail out money, stop making this sh--!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • dirtrider1004dirtrider1004 Member Posts: 1
    if you read that settlement it is not for Trailblazers, no wheres does it even mention Trailblazer.
    I know, that's because I contacted the attorneys and they told me they accidentally listed Trailblazers as part of the lawsuit and have since removed it from the website. Refer to the last post on page 9 of this thread.
    Oops, I mean page 5!
  • ivan10ivan10 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, I hope everyone reads this on how to fix the problem. Don't call GM they know but they don't want to have to fix all the bad sensors. The problem with the speedometer is not the speedometer but the speed sensor. Here is how to change it. the speed sensor is located on the driver side middle of the car sticking out of the transfer case. There should be a purple white wire coming out of it. Go to Autozone or any parts shop and buy a Vehicle Speed Sensor. Remove the negative terminal from the battery . Get under the car and CAREFULLY remove the plug. If it breaks like mine did just wrap it after your done in black electrical tape. It's a plastic plug. Take a 3/4 inch bucket and remove the old speedsensor. Remove the O Ring. Place the Oring on your new Speed sensor. Screw it in. Plug it back in. Connect your battery terminal back on. Problem solved. Speed Sensor should cost you no more than $28.00 and the job should take you no more than 20 min. and that is for somone who knows nothing about cars. Good Luck
  • brierpatchbrierpatch Member Posts: 1
    My wifes trailblazer speedometet droped strait down then would move counterclockwist when the break was applied. I repaired this by, pulling the fuse to the consol. # 24 fuse. it a 10 volt one. I then started the blazer and let it run. the consol was totaly dead since I remover the fuse. I then replaced the fuse use the same fuse while it was still running and everything went back to normal.
    Like rebooting a computer.
    It worked.
  • leroi2leroi2 Member Posts: 1
    Any update on how GM is handling repairs at this time for the gauge cluster (if at all). I haven't really tried contacting them recently; but last check they wanted $400-$500 to fix. I might try pulling the fuse to the speedometer and replacing, just to see if that helps, re boots, whatever, or might try replacing the speed sensor; but it's not just my speedometer. It is everything (a total cluster you-know-what)! Otherwise, I like my Trailblazer and haven't had any other problems; but I am going to have the Dex Coolant flushed out and replace with regular, (another law suit I'm not sure is settled yet).
  • zachdo04zachdo04 Member Posts: 2
    I was driving 65 MPH on I35 and got pulled over for speeding, the cop said I was going 75 MPH, later I realized that the speedometer has problem. A week later, I stop working, I called Chevy Customer Service at 1-800-222-1020 and spoke to John, after checking he scheduled for me to take the truck in local dealer to check on the problem, I'm not sure how much will I pay for it, they should have this recalled since a lots of people have problem. This is my very first Chevy and I will never touched it again. Night mare with electrical also.
  • nsl1nsl1 Member Posts: 1
    I want to say thank you for the information that I read two days ago. When I took my Trailblazer to the dealership to diagnose the problem, he told me that I was not eligible for any help. Yesterday, I contacted GM at 1800-222-1020 with my vin number and mileage. They contacted my dealer and within 30 minutes they called me said that they will cover the cost of replacing my complex. What a blessing!
    nls1..... May I ask how many miles you have on your vehicle and who you spoke to at GM?
  • zachdo04zachdo04 Member Posts: 2
    I've fixed my speedometer last night, it cost me only less than 10 bucks for stepper motor, Chevy dealer charges 500 bucks to replace the cluster. Never buy Chevy again. Good luck!

http://www.chevyavalancheclub.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=60
  • pricelessonepricelessone Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Trailblazer with less than 46,000 miles on it began showing speeds in excess of 120 mph at 2200 rpm. When I got home, the speedometer was stuck at about 65 with the ignition off. I would start the engine and the speedometer would drop about 10 mph. Did that until speedometer was back to zero. Seems to be okay now but is this just a temporary fix? On other sites it is said that I can repair this for around $10 by replacing the "stepper motor" on the back of the cluster and I even have the part number (who's part number I am no sure) and am wondering where I can buy one of those "step motors"? Anyone got a source? This is a 2 wheel drive straight six cylinder Trailblazer.
  • 84formula84formula Member Posts: 7
    My wifes TB speedo went about 3 years ago with about 70000 miles on it. Of course outside the warranty. I to can hear the servo motor in the back of the gauge malfunctioning. :mad: . Since then i have also lost the fuel gauge, oil pressure, and tach. Only two more to go! Oh yea and the ABS module failed with no warning lights. The brakes just started to fade one day. I did a test run with the module still in operation and the brakes faded to the floor upon applying them. I popped out the 60amp fuse, did another test run , and the brakes operated perfectly. Except fot the actual antilock device not operating. Im not about to blow 1000 dollars for the same device to fail again, not knowing when it will. Now my wife drives it like it is for now till i buy something foreign! Same amount of money holds true for the gauge cluster also. Truck only has 140000 on it. With todays technology you can't tell me that chevy can't make a car with no problems! And what pisses me off more, they want all this bailout money to keep them afloat while all along making an inferior product :mad: :mad: . Other than that it has been dependable, but these problems should not be happening! :lemon:
  • vicster68vicster68 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Trailblazer that has been having the same issues. My husband and I went out of town the weekend before Christmas. He woke up and asked why I was driving so slow speed limit was 65). Speedometer said I was doing 65. I set the cruise, he checked the mile markers and found I was only doing about 55. When we stopped the speedometer was stuck at 10. We turned the car on and off a couple times and slowly it went back to 0. Not much trouble again til X-mas weekend this time it stayed around 60 so when we were going 60 the speedometer said 120. Most of the time the cruise was set. Luckily my husband has a garmin, which we used over X-mas to see how fast we were going.
    I called GM customer service 800-630-2438 to complain or customer service complaints 800-222-1020. No recalls as of yet. :mad: WE ALL NEED TO CALL!!!
  • becranfillbecranfill Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your message. I have a '04 Trailblazer and speedometer has gone haywire. I called Chevy customer service. Basically they said there was no special coverage bulletin and that I needed to go to the dealership and see if it is a defect. I've already called the dealership and they want about $500 to fix. I don't think they will determine it to be a defect. So I think I'm stuck. So I'm wondering how well the garmin was for you in using it as a speedometer? Should I just spend $100-200 for a GPS unit and use it for navigation and as a speedometer vs. $500 to fix the speedometer? Is this practical? Thanks for your advice.
  • becranfillbecranfill Member Posts: 5
    How did this come out? Did your dealership pay for the speedometer repair? I have a similar issue and just called customer service. They said my model/VIN was not covered by a special coverage bulletin. Thanks.
    Why don't you guys just fix your clusters yourselves???? I have fixed over a dozen trailblazer clusters already. Not very hard at all and very cheap if you do it yourself.