Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Expedition DVD, Stereo, iPod, AUX, Satellite, Bluetooth and Navigation Systems

wriver82wriver82 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Ford
I just purchased a 2003 with the dvd. It came without the wireless headphones and remote. Can anyone help me with the part numbers so I can look into ordering these.

Thanks

Comments

• ak_gringoak_gringo Member Posts: 3
    I recently ordered a new Chevy Silverado and one of the options was the rear seat dvd package which is mounted on the roof of the vehicle.On all of the other models apparently excluding the re-designed Silverado you can also select dvd players mounted inside the headrests, I was wondering if anyone has some insight into which is the best option and why. Thanks
  • chadfchadf Member Posts: 1
    The 03 does not have wireless system. Wired only. I purchased a wireless receiver and headset from Radio shack and plug into the headphone jack. Works well, just extra wire, etc.
  • bliqbliq Member Posts: 1
    Are you sure? My 03 had a pair of wireless headphones but I've never used them.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,258
    i remember looking at an '02. i'm pretty sure it had wireless headphones, but had a vcr instead of dvd!
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rystadrystad Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an '07 exped EL Eddie Bauer and want to know if anyone knows how to hack or what ever to use the navi while driving. This sounds dangerous, but I use it on flat ranch land and want to watch dvd's and use the navi touch screen while driving, not just when I stop!
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    If you decide to get wireless headphones for your Expedition, I would recommend ebay. My 2004 Expedition, bought used, didn't have them. So I bought a pair off of e-bay for $50. Much better than the price I would have paid at Ford, and these were OEM. They work like a charm.

I also got an extra DVD remote out of the deal, not that I need it.
  • badcobrabadcobra Member Posts: 5
    I read your email and found info for you. I too bought a 2003 Expedition. Here is the thing... You and I have an early production Exped. The DVD unit only has wireless capability "IF" there are two little RF windows on the front of the unit iteself. One is located on each side of the DVD plastice case and are about 1 inch or less sqaured. They are reddish in color. I went to East Texas Auto Air & Glass online http://discountmobilevideo.com/index.htm and bought the wireless headphone kit which comes with 2 headphones and the IR transmiter unit. They will be here tomorrow 1/18. If you need more info, just let me know. GOOD LUCK
  • badcobrabadcobra Member Posts: 5
    I'm back again and have great news!! The wireless headphones work MINT! In fact, they work anywhere in the truch- even tailgating 10 feet away! I plugged them into the ear phone jack and temporary 12 volt connection. Now, I am going to drop the DVD unit (just 4 screws) and wire it into there to make it as factory nice as possible. I am finally HAPPY again. Having the wires really stinks with 4 kids in the car. Oh yeah, the unit supports 4 headphones and possibly more (I only have 4 to try at the same time). I have two very different sets and both worked perfect.
  • gheimurgheimur Member Posts: 88
    I have a 2004 Ford Expedition with no NAV or entertainment system. It has a 6 CD built in player with a Sat button, but no Sat radio.I would like to install a direct connect IPOD connector however don't know what the best ones are or the most important question. How do I remove the radio to connect it to the IPOD connector? Comments, experiences or recommendations please?
  • dickensx6plus2dickensx6plus2 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased a 2004 Ford Expedition with a factory DVD player...but even with the manuel we cannot seem to hear the dvd player without using the headphones...how do we switch on the speakers in the vehicle without having to use the headphones?
  • malibluesmaliblues Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering... Do you still have that extra DVD remote? I bought a used 04 Expedition that did not have a remote which, I must say, makes adjusting the DVD player for my kids a little tough from the driver's seat.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    hit the 2 and the 4 preset buttons together or the 3 and the 5 together. One of the combos should turn on the speakers.

Mark.
  • 2003expeb2003expeb Member Posts: 1
    If you have a button on your 2004 radio that says CD/Aux you can buy a great aux input adapter (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd03aux100.html) from Logjam Electrontics that will give you much better sound than something like a FM modulator.

For 2003 or earlier models, we are subject to FM modulators like this one that plug directly into your radio's antenna port: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-FLly6yw4cys/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=142FMMOD01. These wired versions are much better than the wireless ones.
    I found instructions on removing the radio on the internet. They are as follow

There are 2 screws above the gauges holding the trim piece to the dash. Remove them with 9/32 socket then slowly pull the trim cover away the dash being careful not to crack the latching clips. You can then disconnect the wire harnesses from the headlight switch and center area controls to make access easier. The radio can be removed without disconnecting the switches, but it's more work to pull/hold the dash trim toward you while removing the radio than it's worth. There are 2 screws to remove at the bottom of the radio bracket and you're done. Do the reverse to reinstall.

I also bought the PIE ipod adapter that can be controlled
    through the radio, On a 2004 Ford Expedition the car must have a SAT button with no SAT radio attached. NO NAV system or rear entertainment DVD player. The device is -FORD 2004 IPOD ADAPTER [PIE FRD03-POD/S] (FOR USE INTO 16 PIN SAT PORT) (RADIOS WITH SAT BUTTON). The sound is excellent however it did stop working once, I called PIE and they
    told me to reset the device via disconnecting the negative battery cable. SO far the problem has not reoccured, but I've had it only 2 days. The device is fairly expensive at $169 for logjam but hopefully it'll last and works like a
    factory install.

The above device from crutchfield is about $30 and I've
    ordered on for my 2001 ford escape. It should work as well as the aftermarket 10CD changers from the last generation
  • traveller31traveller31 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 Expedition with the DVD player, but I can't figure out how to listen to it and the radio/cd player at the same time. Someone please tell me you don't have to listen to the dvd instead of the radio when the kids are watching.... Thanks!
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Look for the little head set icon in the radio display. This indicates that you are set up to hear music from the speakers and dvd from the headsets.

Mark.
  • trkirschtrkirsch Member Posts: 1
    I'd love to know also. Have you found out anything?
  • abb77abb77 Member Posts: 4
    I also just purchased a 2003 Expedition XLT :confuse: and cannot figure this out! My kids can listen to a movie with the headphones, but I can't hear it on the speakers without the headphones. I've tried pressing 3 and 5 together, 2 and 4 together, etc.! Does anyone know how to do this? I only have 2 wireless headsets, and 3 kids, so this is a big problem (until we get another headset !) Thanks!
    I know how to configure it so that I can listen to music from the speakers and the movie from the headsets already. My question is: How do I listen to the movie on the speakers and NOT the headsets? :confuse:
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    Mailblues - Yes, I still have the extra remove. E-mail me offline if you're interested in purchasing. I've set my e-mail address to display in my preferences, so if you click my user ID, it should show up. Thanks!
    The problem I have is that I cannot hear the movie on the speakers. I can already hear music from the speakers, and the movie throught the headphones simultaneously. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!! :confuse:
    I have an '03 Expedition with DVD system. I can't figure out how to hear the movie through the main speakers INSTEAD of through the wireless headphones! I've tried pressing 2/4 at the same time, as well as 3/5. Nothing works. Can anyone help me?? Thanks!
  • dsiudsiu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Expedition Eddie Bauer. I've been having problems with the subwoofer crackling and popping. I took it into the dealer and they want $675 to replace it! I'm fairly good at electronics, but would like to know if anyone out there has replaced one. The dealer told me it is tricky and that you have to remove the 3rd row seat, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • mdntblumdntblu Member Posts: 1
    So what about if you have a 6disc indash changer, and the dvd entertainment system? Then how do you do it? I've found a simple way to get my ipod on my stereo for now is by hooking it up to the RCA jacks on the DVD player on the ceiling but then you have the wires coming down from the ceiling to the ipod? Is there a way to get those same rca connections from the back of the head unit? This is on a 2003 Exped Eddie Bauer.

Any help would be appreciated.
    The adapter that i used is specifically made for a 2004 Ford expedition that has no DVD or Sat radio, It is a plug and Play. The sound through the Sat is better than CD or FM. Besides the wires flipping around you probably get better sound through the RCA jacks than if you used theFM modulator from Crutchfield, although I put in the FM modulator from crutchfield for $30 into my Escape and its sound is ok. For your specific adapter that is for a car with DVD and a 2003, The 03/04 radios may be different, I would go to www.logjamelectronics.com and call them, Again, if it works with the wires hanging, I wouldn't spend
    $160 or so
  • traderdaddytraderdaddy Member Posts: 3
    The sub is bolted through the magnet into the plastic inclosure its in. You have to pull the whole enclosure to unbolt it. Not to bad but time consuming. Legacy makes a sub that will fit in the oem spot. It only has about a 3.5 inch depth. good luck!
  • epcubfanepcubfan Member Posts: 2
    I am buying a 1997 Eddie Bauer Expedition, and it has a sub woofer that needs replacing. Is this legacy the best place to get one? How do I get to them?
    thanks
  • traderdaddytraderdaddy Member Posts: 3
    take a look on ebay. they are cheap
  • epcubfanepcubfan Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 97 Expedition with a blown sub woofer. Took a while, but I had a Cerwin Vega HED 8.2 sub woofer installed.
    It is very efficient, so works fine with the factory amp, and gives much better sound than the factory paper cone.
  • neicy1neicy1 Member Posts: 2
    My husband had to get this off to look at the subwoofer speaker which is blown to see how to replace it. He just popped a putty knife (use what works) around the cover and voila it popped out! Does anyone have a speaker to sell??????? Just the speaker only the amp is fine. I checked Ebay the other day and a salvage yard had one but it is the whole unit amp and all and I don't need all of that stuff. If anyone has one to sell pls email me at hoofnspoke@earthlink.net. Thanks.
  • brad_the_luckybrad_the_lucky Member Posts: 1
    Ditto - looking for the same info.
  • bb3451bb3451 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at an 07 with Nav. Are you saying that you cannot input directions or search for points of interest while the vehicle is in motion?
  • 4fmly24fmly2 Member Posts: 1
    We have also recently purchased "03 EB Exp. We can not figure out how to listen to music while our child is watching a movie. We are quite tired of listening to "The Mask". The dvd player is playing through both the speakers and the headset. While messing with the 2 & 4, 3 & 5 buttons, I discovered that while the dvd player is playing, you can listen to the radio in the headset, but still not the speakers. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?
  • christiangaterchristiangater Member Posts: 1
    Where did you get the headphones and the 12 volt reciever?
  • markm828markm828 Member Posts: 3
    my kids were watching a movie when all of a sudden the DVD stopped playing. Now i'm unable to switch out of DVD/AUX mode to listen to the radio or CD. is there anyway to reset this system? is it a fuse? is the whole thing fried? if anyone knows a quick fix or a way to "reboot" the entertainment system I'd appreciate it.

thanks in advance
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    It still shows the channel and the text for the song so the antenna is working but there is no sound. The rest of the stereo works fine on the FM/AM settings. Anyone have this issue and get it corrected?

08 EB Expedition
  • tl68tl68 Member Posts: 2
    This may sound odd, but what do the head phones look like for a factory installed ceiling-mount DVD on a new 09 Expedition?

I got home from the dealer and checked my DVD accessory box. It was already opened. The two head phones are mismatched; one is simple black, the other has additional leather trim around the foam ear piece.

The dealer has supposedly ordered a new set of head phones and remote for me, but I'm trying to figure out what I was supposed to have gotten and if the replacement pair are equivalent. (The dealer is out of state so this is a little more complicated.)

Thanks for any help.
  • 04owner104owner1 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 04 Expedition. We can not get the dvd player to play through the wireless headsets. We can get the radio to play through headsets, but not the dvd player. Pressed 2-4 and 3-5 combos, fresh batteries, etc. - no luck. Any suggestions?
  • cmuffcmuff Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2008 Expedition EL Limited and the phone function is not active. Is it possible to activate this function?
  • nmbassnmbass Member Posts: 1
    I have an 08 Expedition and am in need of some advise:

My radio works fine but the CD player gives me a load error and the DVD player also has a DVD in it, but won't work. They quit at the same time and the worst part is that NO ONE in my town will work on it, they just want to replace them.

I just find it too odd that they both have the same problem and it started at the exact same time.

I really can't stand the thought of replacing both units if the could be fixed....any suggestions? :mad:
  • louie51louie51 Member Posts: 1
    Hi , I have a 03 eddie bauer expedition. When I turn the car on I have to hit buttons 2 and 4 on my preset to get the speakers in stereo. Any suggestions why this is working and how I can fix it?

Thanks!
  • sab03expysab03expy Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. Is there a solid replacement for the CD/Stereo/NAV system for the 2003 Expedition? There must be better aftermarket products out there other than Fords CD based NAV system. Mine is acting up. Thanks!
  • jason85jason85 Member Posts: 1
    My 07 is doing the same thing, can't find any answers. Did you find a solution to the problem.
  • stherriaultstherriault Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 expedition but cannot get our 2010 wireless headsets to work in it. Any suggestions?
  • mody6666mody6666 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 08 Limited (FMF) edition expedition. The radio, DVD and CD works fine but the Satellite doesn't work. I raise the volume full blast and barely hear the distorted sound. Like if the speakers are blown. Anyone has any pointers?
  • ridiculous_1ridiculous_1 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2011
    I have an 05 King Ranch. I replaced my battery and ever since the DVD player will play video but no sound. The wireless headphones will only play the radio even when the DVD is playing....Any ideas or suggestions?
  • thebeachdudethebeachdude Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the VHS player, 6CD changer, and the overhead LCD screen pod. I cannot get the VHS and the overhead pod to power up. Is there an inline fuse somewhere protecting these components and preventing them from powering up? How do I get to the wiring? How do you remove the VHS player from the center console?

The radio works fine.
  • kcoug92kcoug92 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to figure out how to get Sirius on my SAT ready Audiophile 6 disc changer in an '04 EB Expedition. I do not have the rear DVD entertainment system and just want to hear my Sirius through my stock radio. I already have a removable Sirius radio but experience a lot of bleedthru. Any ideas?
  • bsellers82bsellers82 Member Posts: 2
    we just bought a 2006 expedition King Ranch. We have the mounted DVD player and the car came with 2 wireless head sets. we changed the batteries in them, but still no sound in them. The car has an aftermarket stero installed, but we are waiting for a new faceplate from the dealer. Does anyone know of anything I can do without having the factory installed stereo with the 2-4 5-7 buttons to press for sound? Thanks
  • bsellers82bsellers82 Member Posts: 2
    there is also no sound throughout the car when the headphones are turned off.