Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Maintenance and Repair (2007+)

Comments

• kaps23kaps23 Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I have a brand new Santa Fe SE, Deepwater Blue. I love this vehicle and (knock on wood) it has performed to all my expectations. My problem is that I got a small scratch in the hood this weekend. I need advice on how to repair it. I know I can probably buy "touch up" paint but I am wondering if this is the best approach. It is not a very deep scratch. Thank you in advance for any help!
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    if you don't want to do it yourself, try asking the dealer you bought it from, as they may have someone who can touch it up for you. My dealership has actually picked up the cost on some minor repairs (that were not the dealerships fault) to keep our new customers happy.
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    Try some Coral Blue scratch remover, if you don`t have any luck at the dealers, it can be found at most automotive supply stores, you may have to redo it every few months. I have had good luck with it.
  • kaps23kaps23 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you both very much for your responses. I took my vehicle to a body shop associated with the dealer today and they tried buffing it out but it didn't work. He said the clear coat was scratched (you can feel it with your fingernail) but it would probably not rust or anything so if I can stand looking at it just wax it and leave it alone. The only way he said to fix it completely is repainting the whole hood ($250). I see a lot of things online that claim to fix this type of scratch, I am just torn as what to do. Part of me is tempted to just spend the 250 but maybe that is stupid. Arghh.
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Well, don't feel alone...Just put a long hairline scratch in my 07 (rear quarter panel)as well. I am not going to have it fixed either. the 1st scratch is the hardest one. I took an oem touchup pen to it just for protection from the elements....I know it can't stay new forever...but it still hurts! :cry:
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Michelle, thanks for your reply. We suspected the leak was a result of the high pressure wash. I'd rather not go through them, but the weather in the midwest hasn't been warm enough. We had rain today and I didn't notice any water in the channel. That's one question we can cross off our list.
  • lv2drvlv2drv Member Posts: 132
    Welcome powerman5. I used this forum and others while researching SUVs. The responses and general tone of this forum is exceptional. I have the SF Limited FWD Premium and we just returned from a 1600 mile round trip. I wasn't sure the front passenger seat would be comfortable. We went over 700 miles the first day. Not only was the front seat exceptionally comfortable, so was the back seat! I reclined and slept about an hour. This is a long time for me. This vehicle has exceeded my expectations :D . On this trip, our average mpg was 24.0. We did not reset the trip meters. For an SUV, I think this is great. I've had the SF for almost one month. I bought it in time for this trip. I just can't say enough good things about one of the best purchases I have ever made in my life :D.
  • 4pmg4pmg Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know if a TSB was issued to fix the map light?
  • dz302dz302 Member Posts: 26
    I hear you on the scratches!! :mad: My wife backed up into a tree that was covered in ice after an ice storm. Scratched the pass. side rear quarter. Not happy. How well does that Blue Coral scratch remover work? Our Santa is Deep Water Blue. Great colour, but like all dark colours, it shows everything. Base/clear paint it soft too. Can't seem to take the abuse like the old laquer paints. We really love our '07 Santa Fe. We've had it since last August, and haven't had a stitch of trouble with it. Great vehicle! :D
    One other thing I just thought of...A while back there was some talk of the dealer activating the door locks while the vehicle was accelerating. We liked this feature on our Caravan. Is there any charge for the dealer to activate this function?
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    It seems to depend on the dealer; mine activated the lock function free however, some folks say their dealer charged them.
  • fillimericafillimerica Member Posts: 2
    Had my '07 Santa Fe for about six weeks when I noticed that the small plastic extrusion on the fuel door that the fuel cap lanyard is attached had broken. Since I live in NJ (no pumping your own gas), I don't know the exact circumstances that caused the break, but it looks to me that the plastic is so thin and flimsy on the fuel door that it couldn't possibly hold up for any length of time.

Has anyone else had this problem? Dealer says it's non-warranty and wants $218 to fix it.

I also had the check engine light come on with a gross evap leak code. Dealer said that most likely a gas station attendant failed to put the gas cap on correctly or that the plastic lanyard (now not attached to the door) may have gotten stuck under the cap. All of this also non-warranty and the dealer charged me $100 to pressure test the system and reset the code. Does this make sense? Do I have to get out and check the gas cap after each fillup to prevent getting hit with future $100 diagnostic charges?
  • lucky15lucky15 Member Posts: 72
    The Blue Coral scratch remover works fairly well, as I said in an earlier post you may have to do it every couple of months, it comes in a tube and is liquid, you apply it just like a liquid wax, let it dry to a haze and then buff it, you may have to do it several times the first time and then once every few months, depends on how bad the scratches are. Good luck
  • rangersrockrangersrock Member Posts: 21
    Our dealer activated this free of charge when we picked up our license plates a couple of weeks after the purchase. They are supposed to ask you about it when you take possession of the vehicle and do it then. If they didn't, they should certainly activate this feature for free.
    Thanks for the info. I spoke with my dealer yesterday, and he said they will activate this feature for free. I'll bring it in when I have my next oil change....Kill 2 birds with 1 stone! :)
    Thanks again....
  • blackwanblackwan Member Posts: 1
    Hello to you all! I just bought a Santa Fe (Limited black with no options)for my wife, and although we have only put few hundred miles on it, we love it so far. After spending few months doing comparisons, and test driving other SUV's, we concluded that it was the best choice for a lot of factors, standard and safety equipment, quietness, ride, value, warranty, etc.
    I only have one concern, and I will bring it to the dealer to check it out this week. The front passenger air bag light switches on and off all the time, when my wife or me are seated in. I am thinking that there could be a bad sensor under the seat. My wife is petite (110 pounds) and I am 145 pounds, and this weight should not be switching off the air bag. I don't know under what weight the sensor turns off the bag, but in my other car is under 70 pounds. I had a friend seating on it( 160 pounds), and the light never came on. Has anybody had this problem before? I also checked all the connections under the seat,but it all looks normal. Hopefully is something minor. We'll see... :confuse:
  • jleatherowjleatherow Member Posts: 5
    I just got off the phone with the dealer I purchased my 07 Santa Fe from and he informed me that the tow package is now available. He said it was $393 for parts and $150 to install (total just under $550). Is this what others are paying? Also will it void the warranty if i take it somewhere else? Also I had been hearing that I should get my first oil change at 3K while others were saying I should wait for 7K, I asked the dealer and he said 5K. Any suggestions? :confuse:
    That is what dealers are charging....ask your dealer if he ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Act. (federal)
    They have to prove that the 3rd party part caused the problem...(I assume electrical ) should one occur. It is on the net and you can print it out for him (THEY ALL KNOW!!!)

HOWEVER....who wants to mess around with a very expensive lawsuit. After all you are dealing with about $230 above what you could buy a 3rd party setup for. If you really need it...I suggest you get it. Their cost is about $255...try bargaining with them or another dealer...and you can install it yourself easily.

Read your manual about oil changes...normal service, I think 5k is fine...severe service=3000 mi. Another dealer thing
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    I contacted Consumer Affairs, and they told me there is no fix for this in the US. The posts in the Hyundai Santa Fe New Owners discussion suggest that Hyundai Canada is fixing this. If anyone wants to contact Hyundai Consumer Affairs about this, their phone number is 800-633-5151 and e-mail is consumeraffairs@hmausa.com
    Map Light.....

Now that's really funny....Consumer affairs (US) told me there was a fix but the parts were not out yet. She said they had all been briefed on it in fact....as i have said...NO COMMUNICATION in this company..

Having carefully thought it out, I am not so sure i want them poking around the headliner anyway...can just see the fingerprints and grime now
  • 4pmg4pmg Member Posts: 12
    I received a a phone call from Hyundai's Consumers Affairs office today. They have ordered the parts to fix my map lights. In fact, they called me three times today to make sure they had the right color and trim codes. I'm not sure what parts were ordered but I do know it includes a new map light fixture. I'm not sure if they are going to just run a wire or actually remove the headliner. I will let everyone know as soon as the map lights have been fixed.
    You did better than I did 4pmg...My last call went back to "we are researching it"..What a group of ......I won't say it.

Will be interested on how you make out...good luck
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    On another forum. I'm still waiting for parts. Gord
    http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t11768-st-80-dome-light-wtf.htm
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    I agree. It would be nice to have it fixed but after reading up on it I am not sure I want them messing with my liner. Had an issue with my power seat not working so the dealer had to take it apart to diagnose the electrical and broke the cover around the switch. They were very sorry and have ordered me a new cover. Unfortunately Im still waiting. Tic toc, tic toc....
    The plot thickens....

Map light issue

I just got a call from consumer affairs US and they say the fix does not make the map lights come on, but is an ADDITIONAL dome light for the front. Again the parts will be available in a few weeks so I told them to go ahead and order them(NO CHARGE EITHER TO US).

I want to go to the dealership and look at this thing before installing it....no one seems to know what it is and where/how it mounts I wonder if they simply doubled the size of the existing dome with the additional lights reflecting forwards...that would be pretty simple too....lets wait and see. Fingers crossed!

When I see it, I will report back...at least a few weeks.; My dealer did not know about it either.
  • gllundgllund Member Posts: 29
    Here's a quote from a guy who just got it done.......

Well the map lights are fixed. Only draw back, is if you shut off the switch on the rear dome light so that lights are not activated when door opens, the map lights will still come on. Otherwise, works good, dims slowly just like the dome light when going off. Apparently this isn't a TSB, but a "field patch"?? or something like that. consists of 4 parts, 2 of them replacement dome and map light assembly (not sure why), a wiring harness and something else. (Sheet is out in the car). Booked at 0.6 hours. I took my vehicle in at 8am, they called at 10am.
    Will be really nice later in the year/winter when it is dark going to work and darn near dark coming home.

Overall I am very happy with the result. I was a bit concerned thinking they had to pull down the headliner, but it seems they go up through the pillar via the airbag on the front pillar and to the door switch.
    yes, I saw that report and when I mentioned it to the rep...she said that was not what they were issued?????????????She even double checked...sure wish we had some part numbers or bulletin number...she referred to it as a dome light kit so who knows....

They really need to get their communication together!

Thanks again...Hey I can always say thanks anyway for the try if it is crummy looking!
    Thanks for the info on the "Map Light" issue. I'm going to check this out when I have my next oil change. (And get the speed activated door locks working) Looks like a pretty simple fix for something that the vehicle should have had from day one. What was the cost on the parts?
    Not sure if you were referring to my post, but if so, the rep said free for parts and installation. Again, I have no idea what they are sending and neither do they! They just said dome light kit.

The other posters Fix appears different (his had the map lights come on) but again, who knows
    Just got another call from Hyundai Consumer affairs.Wow...they are communicating now!

Dome light issue:

It turns out that the rep yesterday was incorrect. they DO turn on the map lights and DO NOT just add another dome light. She also confirmed that a new map light, fixtures and harness comprise the kit. Apparently the parts ARE out and she said about a week to get them to the dealer.
  • jimsistjimsist Member Posts: 62
    on the phone now with hyundai about the light issue. got a call from them yesterday .barbra she ask me if i still wanted my light issue fixed dh. there is a fix as of may 16 2007 they told the affers dept there is a fix office as of yesterday.waiting on hold for her now. for your information her number is 1-800-633-5151 ext-54024 ok heres the fix just hung up with hyundai. they will replace the dome light new wireing kit also a new console up frount. dealer will call me with in a week to get this thing fix will let you know how long it take and if it is fixed right. :surprise:
    Yep...same here...In fact the same rep as well at the same extension.

Will also advise how it comes out etc
  • tpetrides28tpetrides28 Member Posts: 2
    I recieved a card in the mail a couple months back stating that there had been a recall on a part on my Santa Fe. I called the dealership and they said theyre had been a recall on a part in the aor bag system. If you havent already, Id call and make an appointment with the dealership to get it looked at and fixed. Theyll do it free of charge since it is a recall!
  • tpetrides28tpetrides28 Member Posts: 2
    I came home from the store today and my check engine light came on and my 07 Santa Fe started sputtering. Hubby drove it this afternoon when he got home from work to see if he could figure out what the problem was. He said it also doesnt have any power. I was wondering if anyone else with an 07 Santa Fe has had this problem? Ive only had the vehicle 7 months and it has less than 2000 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :)
    Sounds like it is in Limp mode for some reason. Get it to the dealer or a place that can "pull" an OBC code from the computer so they can fix it.Kragen and autozone usually will get you a readout for free.

First, check that your gas cap is tightened.
    I've been away the past 2 days, but I also have a message that Hyundai called about fixing the dome light issue. Also the same rep. I'll call on Monday.
    Help please. I was trying to find the original message about the Map Lights. Correct me if I am wrong (I want to verify), the issue is having the Map Lights come on when the doors are opened, like the dome light, on early made 2007s, correct?

Yes that is the issue...the kit introduced will have the map lights come on when the door(s) are opened...they dim down when you close the door like the dome light This is a warranty fix as well!
  • ravenfan50ravenfan50 Member Posts: 14
    After a gas fill up last week, I didn't screw the gas cap on properly. After I started the car, the check engine light came on. I tried to stop the car and retighten the cap. Light was still on. Called service rep at dealer and he told me the light will go off in about 5 days. Or pull the negative cable of the battery and everything will reset. The light went off this morning..about 3 days after my fill up. Hope this helps.
  • mikeya50mikeya50 Member Posts: 5
    What are the pros & cons of having your vehicle doors lock automatically when the vehicle begins to move. One of my concerns is in you are involved in a accident, will it be more difficult for your rescuer to open your vehicle doors.

Getting my new GLS, seven seater, Canadian model next week and I'm trying to decide if I want the automatic door locks or not. Thank you.
  • mycgilliganmycgilligan Member Posts: 10
    I too, had been out of town and received 2 messages from Barbara of Hyundai Consumer Affairs and today I called her. Yes, she is forwarding info to my dealer about these parts and getting them ordered. My dealer should call me within 7 business days to arrange an appointment for the map lights to be installed. I told Barbara about this site and how many compliments she had received and of course, she was graciously pleased. Apparently she was to contact 43 people who had inquired about the map lights....well that original 43 has now grown to many more and now, this whole thing is her job!! The power of this site worked. Good job guys and of course, great job Barbara!! :)
  • bloodclawbloodclaw Member Posts: 8
    I also contacted Barbara also about the map light ,She was on break so, I spoke with someone else and the are giving her my info and she will get back with me Thanks great site.
    ;)
    Guess I will be a beta tester...My map light kit kit came in this am and is going to be installed tomorrow. This is the first one for my dealer and they had never even heard of it until I called....6 days to arrival just as barbara said.
    Will let you know how it comes out. They said it was a pretty large box......They were going to have a tech study it this afternoon. :shades:

You can be sure I will be giving it a close inspection to make sure nothing gets messed up TOO!
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    at the dealership i went to one of the guys told me on the side - not to get the sunroof - get an aftermarket one installed - the warranty would be better as well as the quality... go figure..
    I dropped by the dealership after work tonight, and they told me they just got a fax from Hyundai regarding the map light issue. Looks like it is now a TSB. At least that's what it said on the front page of the fax. They took my phone number, and said they will call me when the parts come in. I'm also the "Beta" on this one as this is all new to my dealership. Lets hope they get it right. They've allotted 0.6 hrs. for installation. So far that's the scoop from the "Great white north". OK, not so great white today. It's 90 degrees.
  • slk70slk70 Member Posts: 12
    Look forward to hearing how these go as I made the call today and will likely be waiting a couple of weeks. Particularly would like to hear how it goes for someone with a sunroof, but I'll take any reliable info.

Good luck!
    My dealer wanted the entire day!!! I told them the allotment was .6 hrs and the poor SA almost had a stroke. Anyway I cannot just drop it there so I will have to wait for it....
    will report back tomorrow. Wish me luck...I may need it!! :)

I must admit that the allotment just sounds a bit on the skimpy side....sounds like the dealers will bite the bullet on these fixes!
    I would imagine the sunroof only involves the harness length and maybe the middle dome light which is also replaced...no one else to ask but the forum members! the dealer had no idea there was even an issue.
    My 07 SF is an SE with NO SUNROOF, but I do not think there would be much difference (IMHO)

1) took about 45 minutes...Works perfectly and can't tell it was worked on either!
    2) Map light and Dome light were replaced
    3) Harness was snaked down thru the driver's side Pillar near the windshield from the map light area, presumably connected to the door switch
    4) headliner was not affected but I think they do snake another harness up to the map lights from the dome light (not sure). Like the other poster, the dome light switch has no effect on the map lights when you open the door, and the new map lights dim down just as the dome light did when you close the door. MUCH BETTER!!!!!

I am completely satisfied...hope this helps! Thanks to Barbara again.
    Thanks for the update, glad to hear everything went well. I got a call yesterday from the Hyundai regional office in NJ that they had the info on my dome lights from the call center, my dealer had ordered the parts, and they would call me when they come in.
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    I mentioned in an earlier post at around 5k miles I began to hear a faint clicking when placing the Santa in Drive or reverse. Since it would only happen under a load( backing into my driveway pitched at 25 degrees) I thought it may just be the powertrain breaking in. NOT! It has gotten progressively worse. Much louder and is starting to happen even on level ground. If I was a betting man I would say its one of the front CV joints. A quick turn lock to lock test and a alittle pedal should get it to rattle when completeing the circle but no joy. It does not make the noise. Real strange. I have done nothing but praise my dealership for the excellent support and service. I have scheduled an appointment this Monday to look at this issue. They will have their hands full with this one. I am concerened they will not be able to correct the issue until it fails. Will let you all know how I make out...