Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lost? Ask a Host for Help!

1495051525355»

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Incentives and Rebates page may help.
    edited March 2013
    It's hard to argue that new cars are a better buy, just based on economics. But, it also depends on the car. Some New Cars Now Cheaper Than Used Cars.

Posts in the Buying New vs. Used Vehicles discussion may help.
  • edrocks2kedrocks2k Member Posts: 3
    we did a joint app for leasing a Nissan and were turned down.

and now we're looking at Ford. Is Ford more lenient? or would we just be wasting our time?
    edited March 2013
    Try asking in the How to Negotiate a Good Deal on a Car Lease discussion.
  • synovial1synovial1 Member Posts: 2
    I negotiated a lease for my fiancée on a new chevy traverse however, when she went in to do the paperwork they totally changed the deal from 544 a month including tax to 679 by telling her that the deal inalready made disnt include tax etc.. but it did, they where just being dishonest! Also, they sold her unnecessary tire ins and appetance package etc... That she felt she was forced into. I was originally going to use my 1k off lease incentive because I lease a BMW but, she decided to use usaa pricing instead and the deal has been done for over a week and the dealer called and said he wants to bring him a check for 1k or, a copy of one of my lease statements. I am not giving those crooks anything after they where so dishonest not to mention I am not on the deal at all! Now we are getting calls from gmac about her previous car asking why it's not paid off yet? This can't be legal or ethical and, I am so upset that all this is happening. I don't want to give them anything after they treated her this way. What should I do?
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Try posting this in our Got a quick question for a car dealer? discussion.

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
  • inakarmacomainakarmacoma Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    I'm a little lost. Apologies. You all sound fantastic. I could really use your advice.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car, knows the features she wants, but is unfamiliar w/ most models. Any awesome suggestions from these criteria?

4-wheel drive -- candle handle snow country, backpacking trips, hiking, camping, etc.

Relatively High MPG within it's class (not a gas guzzler).

Common features: Air conditioning, Power lock

Price range as <$50,000 (NEW)

- Prefers non-luxury brand (or more specifically, not the kind of brand that has high maintenance costs; she's heard horror stories from some audi/lexus/bmw?)

- Not picky about body model, per-say, but does not want a minivan, nor a 2-door coupe. Most other options a-OK.

Would like a brand known for longevity -- wants to buy new, be able to rely on for many years.

Engine preference: V6!

Gas or hybrid OK as long as it meets the other specs. Not diesel.

Size: Prefer if it can fit 5 people.

Drive: Automatic

Interior: Non-leather

Gas tank size no less than 12gl

Roof rack integrated preferred

Would like some good cargo capacity (it'd be a plus)

Brand: She has received some good feedback/suggestions on Subaru -- but is not explicitly attached. She's actually interested to see if you guys also agree this is a good option?
    edited July 2013
    This discussion lives in Sedans but you'll get plenty of suggestions in there:

Help Me Choose!

The Car Finder tool can help narrow your choices.

Here's another fun tool:

My Car Match

Subaru is a bit of a niche car company still, but sales are going through the roof. (csmonitor.com). My sister likes her '05 Forester. I haven't checked out the newer ones, but I like her Forester body style better than my old '97 Outback. Check out the Subaru Crew here too.
    Also give these discussions a try if she's looking for a crossover/SUV:

What is the Best SUV For me?
    Crossover SUV Comparison

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Tell her to check out a Toyota 4Runner.
  • erclarkerclark Member Posts: 1
    My questions really belong here on the Smart Shopper board, but I can't find an "Add a Discussion" link in order to start my post. Each of the other boards I enter, here on the Edmond's forum, give me an "Add a Discussion" link right at the top of the list of posts. However, there is no such link for me here on the Smart Shopper board. Instead, I just see a "Watch this Forum" link. What am I missing? How can I start a new discussion? Thanks in advance for any help!
    edited July 2013
    It's an organizational thing. Per the Help link, "Please note that there are some Forums where members may not create new discussions, including Smart Shopper, Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences and Maintenance & Repair. If you cannot find an appropriate discussion for your questions or comments in these Forums, contact the Host for assistance."

Members here tend to subscribe to existing discussions and miss new ones, so if you can search and find one that fits, that's probably your best bet.
  • drt222drt222 Member Posts: 9
    Hi Steve,

Hi CarMan,

I'm leasing my first ever car and I'm looking at a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4*4 basic and I got a few offers and that's the best one:

$34.9k MSRP, $429/mo lease payment for 39 mos with $900 first month payment. 36k miles bumper to bumper for 36 mos

I'm also looking at VW 2013 CC and the best price I got was $29,700 with 419.16/mo for 39 months 12k miles/yr.

I live in dayton OH 45402

Your feedback is highly appreciated, thank you
    edited July 2013
    You've already found your way to the lease questions discussions, so please continue in those threads. Thanks!
    Ok I will but I didn't receive any replies there and i thought the lost section would be more suitable since I'm really lost!
    Summer weekends get slow. And I know squat about leasing and would get you more lost. :shades:
    OK thanks for sharing the info. I would post more in the Jeep section and hopefully I get a response soon.
  • cortdilloncortdillon Member Posts: 3
    Hi Folks,
    I'm a newby here and wanted to see if anyone had any advice on negotiating this deal. Looking at a new E350 Coupe, MSRP: 63,815.00 Here are the details:

Price: 59070.96
    36 mo / lease
    Mo. Factor: .00205
    Miles / Yr: 10K
    Residual: .60
    2k down
    Res Add: 769
    Acq Fee: 1095
    Taxes: 2137.52
    Doc fee: 799
    Maint: 769
    Adj Residual: 38750.4
    Adj Cap: 60964.96
    Mo Pmt: 878.99

Where should I counter from here?

Best // CJD
    Give this discussion a try:
    Mercedes-Benz E-Class Lease Questions

• davidinmd1davidinmd1 Member Posts: 1
    My 1.6L backfired big time when it was started, then ran on 3 cyl until I could get it home. It was there that I discovered that the explosion blew up my plug and the wire leading from the coil pack, they were sitting on top of the engine. I replaced both and it's still running like crap.

Is the engine toast? 140,000 miles is not a lot for these cars.
    Try this discussion: Mazda Protege Maintenance and Repair

• jake26jake26 Member Posts: 3
    Hello Edmunds,

We just received a letter from the dealership stating that we owe a balance of $733 on the down payment for the leased car... (45 days after we got the car) sales manager even told us not to bring our checkbook as it would be no need...

we never agreed to pay any down.. in fact we made sure we qualify for the zero drive off and zero down payment before we agreed with the monthly payment of $349.

We drove off the lot without paying a dime. What should we say when I call the dealership?

Any advice would be great and appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    edited August 2013
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,923
    in an exchange with another member elsewhere, it occurred to me there might be a use for a board that introduces and discusses computer programs and phone apps for cars. I have no idea how much activity it would get, but I have several on my phone I could suggest and write brief reviews of. I'd like to hear if other folks have found apps/programs that are useful.

It could potentially attract advertising, which I know could be a problem. At the same time, such posts would still alert readers to other options out there.

So my question is, if we were to start one, where does it belong? Its not really Automotive News, I don't think. Its not necessarily Smart Shopper, although some apps apply to that, and I guess you could say it is shopping for apps. I don't know. ??

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited September 2013
    Its not really Automotive News

I think you've hit on why the Apps and Maps - Best Downloads for Drivers discussion isn't all that active.

Free free to contribute there and we'll kick around a good place for the discussion to live. Maybe the Maps part needs to split off too.

(Best car app around here lately has been Ruzzle - great way for your passenger to lose interest in your lousy driving. Miss a lot of scenery though).
    hmmm... no, its not active at all, is it. I don't necessarily think Maps/Nav needs to split off, I just wonder if its not implied that its the sole point of the discussion. A different title might be in order. Still don't know where the heck it belongs, though.

In any case, I'll post my list there when I get a chance.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Maybe it'd get more traction over in Maintenance - a lot of fun apps coming out are those that monitor the OBDII ports. Or at least link it over there.
    that's one of the apps i have i was going to list. Along with a racing app, dyno app, and a couple of shopping apps.

I'm glad to see someone is keeping up with all this stuff. :)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    What do you mean "monitor" the OBD II ports?
    Plug your phone/tablet into the port and get real time readouts. (One example)
    can it retrieve codes?
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, and reset the MIL too. Guess we can pick this up over in the discussion.

Apps and Maps - Best Downloads for Drivers
    see you there, thanks.
  • charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    evenin' kyfdx... much, much thanks from husband n me for your help on forums since host car_man's absence

looked over copy of proposed lease paperwork from honda dealership ("honda lease trust" contract included new item - compared with a 2010 and a early 2013 "honda lease trust" papers) there was new entry:

#3. "Turn-in fee (if I do not purchase the vehicle)". dealer entry was 395

buncha other companys have this but first we've seen with honda. we called honda at home toonight saturday night but heard back to call monday morn.

their still great with the 1500 dollar damge thing but looks like their going the way of others

maybe a new topic about "latest disposition fees" or something like? impotant for leases, yes?

again we thank you for your helps lately
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,527
    I think we have a discussion about that!

Lease Termination Fees and other costs

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef25783/1170#MSG1170

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• charles_guycharles_guy Member Posts: 55
    thank you for the link. shouldhave thought it was already a topic here somewhere :)
  • rickykrickyk Member Posts: 1
    Where's the best place to start?
    I'm looking for a hybrid (I think) something with good mileage for long distance commute during rush hour stop and go traffic, but also something that will be good on the highway for long distances and high speeds (above the speed limit for long distances), with good and quick pick up to cruising speeds. Looking under $40k. Where should I start? What should I be considering?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Our Help Me Choose discussion is a good place to get feedback. It's a general "what should I buy" discussion in Sedans, but good for feedback on most body styles.

We have an entire board dedicated to Hybrid Vehicles. There's not a "help me choose" discussion, but you can always use the "add discussion" link at the top of the listed individual discussions to start your own.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703

Where is the option "Mark all as Read" so when I fall behind, as I have, I can click one button and zero out all the unread posts? Thanks

edited February 2014

Hey Bob, under your Profile up top right, there's a gear. Click that and then click Mark All Viewed.

Check out Forum Navigation Tips too for a quick overview of the new forum software.