Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saturn VUE Green Line - Real World MPG Numbers

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited April 2014 in Saturn
Report the real world mileage performance of your VUE Green Line here.

Comments

• bmwmsbmwms Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a Vue Green Line last Friday. With the 1st 272 miles, I averaged 28.7 mpg. I try to drive cautiously, but I'm certainly not a hypermiler.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    As you are the first VGL owner we've seen, you get the gold star! :P

Be sure to tell us all about your purchase in the New Saturn VUE Green Line Owners -Give Us Your Report discussion. People will be interested in your impressions of the car!
  • bmwmsbmwms Member Posts: 3
    2nd tank of gas average 27.4 mpg over 311 miles. I was using cruise control in some hilly terrain which caused more downshifting than I like. I think this caused a decrease in mileage. So far very pleased with the VGL. I seem to be getting better mileage than some others that I've read about, but I don't feel like I'm driving out of the ordinary.
  • hybridvuehybridvue Member Posts: 31
    1st tank of gas with 379.9 miles and I averaged 29.75mpg. Not bad for the first tank. Considering that most new vechicles need at least 2000 - 4000 miles for the engine to settle and that winter gas gives less gas mileage - I will take a 29.75. Hopefully, we will be able to get that number over the 30 mark.

By the way, my driving for the first tank consisted of 50% highway and 50% local driving with easy accelerations and decelerations. :)
  • jtstahlsjtstahls Member Posts: 3
    Our first 2 tanks got 23mpg. We have 2,000 miles on the car now and most tanks are averaging 26-27mpg.
  • srokajasrokaja Member Posts: 2
    1st tank - 14.25 gallons - 409 miles - 28.75mpg
    * Drove normal without taking into consideration the hybrid eco and charge/assist gages.

2nd tank - 14.38 gallons - 364 miles - 24.82mpg
    * drove cautiously with defrosters on the entire time (oops). Tried to drive more efficiently, but didn't consider eco and charge/assist gages.

3rd tank - Read the quick start guide (Will report in a few days the results.)
    * Tried to drive without cruise control and defrosters on, tried to maintane the eco light as much as possible.
    With the cruise control issue resolved (for the past two weeks - knock on wood) and the Hybrid performing well - here are some summary numbers.

9 Weeks of ownership - 3660 Miles - 10 Fillups - Avg 29.75 mpg. Hybrid is driven about 90 miles to and from work each day with a combination of 50% highway and 50% stop and go. Best mpg 34.5 and worst 25.0

Here are the 10 fillups - 29.75, 30.20, 31.14, 30.90, 25.04, 34.54, 25.73, 31.06, 29.69, 32.16

Average $2.246 per gallon of regular comes out to 7.55 cents per mile for gas.

I am very satisfied with the numbers. :)
    Update:

4 Months of ownership - 8325 Miles - 21 Fillups - Avg 30.58 mpg. Hybrid is driven about 90 miles to and from work each day with a combination of 50% highway and 50% stop and go. Best mpg 34.5 and worst 25.0

With the up tick in gas prices the past few weeks my
    average $2.293 per gallon of regular has gone up. However, the better mpg has caused my cost per mile for gas to go down to 7.50 cents.

The warmer weather is great for this hybrid.

A few interesting facts:
    My best tank averaged: 34.54mpg
    Farthest on a single tank without running out of gas: 510.9 miles
    13 out of the 21 tanks have averaged over 30mpg.
    6 out of the 21 tanks have averaged over 32mpg.

Goal to average 30+mpg for the first 10,000 miles of the Hybrid.

I love my Hybrid Vue. :D
  • hybridveuownerhybridveuowner Member Posts: 10
    i drive like a little old lady & average about 25 mpg but i almost always run the air conditioning. i drive mostly stop and go with only an 11 mile commute to work in southern california.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you are a long-term hybrid owner, our Senior Editor, John O'Dell, would love to hear from you! A short email with your maintenance experiences and concerns would be great. Please send to John at jodell@edmunds.com by close of business Wednesday, August 22, 2007. Be sure and include your Forums username.
  • kallopkallop Member Posts: 10
    My wife and i purchased our Greenline Vue in March of '07. Our first tank gave us 27mpg, mixed 75% City and 25% Highway. Now, 5 months later and 4,754 miles later we are getting an average of 21.25 mpg now. The dealer said that we have to wait till we reach 5,000 miles or more before anything can be. However, Saturn has already made modifications to the window sticker to show less then 32 City and 27 Hwy. Why do you think this is? To my knowledge we could have purchased a V6 Vue and had better millage and would of saved approx $3,500.00 in the process and not purchased a the Greenline. :P :confuse:
  • saturn_commsaturn_comm Member Posts: 27
    There is some confusion here. Saturn did not change the EPA mileage estimate on the 2007 Vue Green Line.

Perhaps the confusion is caused by the facts that, for the 2008 model year, Saturn has a new Vue and the EPA has changed the rules on window sticker labels.

I see you've made several posts regarding Vue Green Line. I'd like to know your vehicle identification number (VIN).

Kyle Johnson
    Saturn Communications Director
  • rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1
    I got in low 22 range for first three tanks. I called dealer on day 28 of ownership and asked for a service check, and, if the mileage didn't get better, to take advantage of the 30-day car switch.

They delayed my appt. to Day 31; then claimed there was nothing wrong with the car, and I was past the 30-day trade in limit.

That was early March. Now, 14,500 miles later, I've gotten 22-3-23.1 consistently. Two more visits to the dealer, much nicer to me these times, and a service manager did one mileage check without me: 32.

Two days ago, I drove long on the mileage check: 31.5.

The difference?

Their mileage checks were 2-3 gallons. I'd thought gas was weight, and thus, the less gas in the tank, the better the mileage ought to be.

Clearly, that's not the case.

They're trying to work with me, but I calculate, at $3 a gallon, and desiring only to hit the mid-mark (30 MPG), this has cost me about $600 thus far.

Not pleased at all with mileage...but love the car in every other department.

I would've bought the larger SUV at this mileage rate. Completely unsatisfied.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "The difference?

Their mileage checks were 2-3 gallons. I'd thought gas was weight, and thus, the less gas in the tank, the better the mileage ought to be."

If I understand your post correctly, they checked the MPG with 2 or 3 gallons used? That is an inaccurate check. One has to check for an entire tank. For the most accurate results, use the same gas station, same time of day, and same pump to fill up the entire tank. Then use that as the number of gallons, which is divided into the total miles.
    Update:

10 Months of ownership - 22,817 Miles - 52 Fillups - Avg 31.87 mpg. Hybrid is driven about 90 miles to and from work each day with a combination of 50% highway and 50% stop and go. Best mpg 37.24 and worst 25.0

My average $2.648 per gallon of regular.
    Cost per mile for gas 8.31 cents.

The summer months were great for this hybrid.

A few interesting facts:
    My best tank averaged: 37.24mpg
    Farthest on a single tank without running out of gas: 557.5 miles that was also my best mpg tank
    43 out of the 52 tanks have averaged over 30mpg.
    26 out of the 52 tanks have averaged over 32mpg.
    14 out of the 52 tanks have averaged over 34mpg.

MPG since 3/1/2007 - 32.6 mpg over 17,000 miles.

As you can see these numbers are well over the EPA estimates. The technology is there with this Hybrid. However, it is also ones driving style that allows you to get the most out of this or any vehicle. Keep in mind - smooth accelerations and stops allow the battery to do what it is designed to do - Assist and Charge.

Granted some of the Hybrid Vues are having problems. However, I would love to test the ones that are getting low to mid 20's and see if it is really the Hybrid or the driver. By the way, if traffic allows - I am driving 65 - 70 mph zipping down the road. I am not the hypermiler that crawls (sometimes in the left lane) at 45 mph because that is the optimal speed to maximize mpg. I travel with the flow of traffic and I do it efficiently.

I love my Hybrid Vue. :)
    14 Months of ownership - 36,148 Miles - 82 Fillups and Avg 31.805 mpg. The Hybrid is still driven about 90 miles to and from work each day with a combination of 50% highway and 50% stop and go. I had a strech of 29 fill ups in a row averaging above 30mpg per tank.

For those who say you can not get good mpg in the winter - I am averaging over 32 mpg for the past 2600 miles. I live in Maryland - far from a warm weather state. BTW - my worse tank this winter was 28.05mpg.

At 32,000 miles I brought the car in to for an oil change, new air filter, tire rotation and general inspection. Tires still have plenty of tread. I should be able to get over 60,000 on the original set.

My Hybrid continues to perform better than advertised. No problems on this end for over a year. I wish everyone the same with theirs.

• greenrogergreenroger Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2007 green line vue (22316 miles) VIN: 5GZCZ33Z37S873821 that has several problem that the service people say they cannot fix:
    Cruise control goes over speed and engages too quickly (to sensitive).
    I almost went into the ditch on a recent trip to Atlanta, in the rain the tires started to slip when it engaged.
    (They tell me it is a closed system and cannot be adjusted).

The engine shuts off too quickly at stop signs (at traffic lights it is ok).
    Needs a 2 or 3 second delay.
    (Closed system and cannot be adjusted)

Same thing when you go to shut it off, as soon as you move the shifter to park it starts the gas engine (needs a two second delay).

Gas engine starts back up after only 12 seconds at stops. I have to charge the engine battery every night to get it backup to 18 to 20 seconds.
    (They have checked the battery and say it is fine).

The windshield wiper (delay control is backwards 3 is fast and 1 is slow (every other car with it I have owned it is the opposite) on 1 the wiper goes when ever it wants to 10 seconds to 20 seconds and back to 5 seconds. In a light rain I either have to use 2 or not use the delay at all.
    (Closed system no adjustments)

I worry that the problems will cause me to have a wreck, it is not that I need them that much, it is just you expect things to work on a new car.

I really don't care about the mileage it is better than the SUV that I drive.
    But I feel that Saturn is not a different kind of company, just more of the same GM attitude (our cars are perfect) I just hope the people that build these don't have to drive them.

I still have my old 96 Mazda MPV (over 130,000 miles) I drive it more and more. I really like the fact that things work, even if it gets 15 mpg.
    I wish I had been smart and bought a Toyota hybrid.
    Live and Learn!
  • saturncorp1saturncorp1 Member Posts: 1
    Greenrodger -

I'm sorry you are having issues with your Vue. I'd like to get you directly into contact with the proper person at Saturn who can best help with your situation.

Please contact me at: michael.morrissey@saturn.com

Sincerely,
    Mike Morrissey
    Manager, Saturn Product Communications
  • tackepjtackepj Member Posts: 13
    greenroger,

The 12-second shutoff time is too short (as I'm sure you're aware). That issue needs to be addressed at your dealer. However, charging the engine battery in order to increase shutoff time is absolutely pointless. The 12VDC engine battery is not part of the hybrid system and is primarily there for engine starting only. There may be an issue with the hybrid battery, as many have had. This is the 36VDC battery under the rear shelf, and (obviously) cannot be charged at home. In addition, the early shutoff (such as at a stop sign) is incorporated with fuel shutoff during deceleration, so it can't (and certainly shouldn't) be adjusted. That's part of the hybrid driving experience.

You seem to have many complaints about the car that could have been noticed during a thorough test drive, such as the wiper delay. I do agree that the cruise is rather abrupt to reengage, but certainly not enough to lose control of the vehicle.
  • brianmavbrianmav Member Posts: 3
    Watch your tire pressure folks. I lost 5-8 MPG with 25PSI in the tires. I pumped them up to 34 - 36 PSI and I am back up to 25 - 27 MPG, with mostly city and back roads driving. Highway I am 30+ MPG...

I also tried a K&N air filter to boost MPG, but found that MPG actually went down. With the added air flow from the K&N thinking the opposite effect on MPG for the hybrid compared with a conventional engine. Any thoughts on this and theory's would be appreciated.

Overall very happy with the VGL...
  • nagatahawknagatahawk Member Posts: 12
    After reading all the post on the VGL, I don't think the hybred is the answer.

I purchased a used 2004 Toyota Matrix SRX 6spd manual. this has the 180 hp motor. I drive stop and go city driving in Los angeles, I get between 23 and 24 mpg. I drive normally with flow of traffica and give it 2/3rds throttle to pass the big SUVs, Trucks and Busses blocking the road and belching exhaust fume. once and a while I'll red line it at 8,000 rpm in first. I never get into 5th or 6th gear. if I remember I will short shift, but this motors doesn't lke low rpm. and I never coast.

In order to get close to the advertized mileage in hybred you have learn to drive and coast, low throttle. I don;t think it is worth it to drive this way when you can still get good mileage with a 4 cylinder manual car driving like normally. I thank everyone for confirming my original opinions about hybreds.
  • gljvdgljvd Member Posts: 129
    The matrix is a very very small car. Its not comparable to an suv.

I have a pontiac torrent 2007 and I get 16-17mpg in mixd 50/50 driving. The Vue is slightly smaller than my torrent but many here are getting 25mpg up to 34mpg depending on driving conditions . I don't know about you but a 10mpg increase is a great thing and the 2009 vue's and 2010 plug in vues should get better mileage. These hybrids are all new even the prius in comparison to the ICE set up . We are talking about a decade old system vs ice's that are over a 100 years old
  • pelaspanpelaspan Member Posts: 2
    I am driving a Honda Accord 4 cylinder and typically get 27 mpg winter and 29-30 summer (25 mile commute on back roads at about 50 mph). Doesn't sound like the Vue is a lot better.

I used to drive Geo Metros (I've owned 4), but my wife wanted me to drive a car that was closer in mass to other vehicles on the road. (I've been married long enough to know pleasing my wife is smarter than saving on gas! I disagreed with her premise about safety. My son wrapped one Metro around a tree; car was totalled, but he and passenger were uninjured. I hit a deer and a few months later got hit in the left front by an SUV. Again, no injuries to me. So, I consider them to be safe.) You can't beat the mileage. My first one got 48 - 50 mpg. The others were closer to 45 - 48 mpg. Didn't seem to make a significant difference if I was driving in town or on the interstates. Only had a 10 gallon tank, but I could get to D. C. from Columbus, Ohio and part way home before filling up. All but one were 3 cylinder models. Not good for mountain terrain - hard to keep up to speed through West Virginia on the route from Columbus to Washington. I got stopped for speeding (70 mph) on a flat stretch, but told the officer I didn't see how that was possible as I couldn't do that without really pushing hard to keep the gas to the floor! BUT, for getting back and forth to work and even for some long trips for two people and luggage, they were great!
  • tackepjtackepj Member Posts: 13
    Oy.

Number one: Your mileage may vary, and your commute may vary. Comparing just one car to another, in different driving conditions, is relatively pointless.

Number two: Comparing a Toyota Matrix and Honda Accord to a Saturn VUE is nearly as pointless. Both are cars (one quite small), and the VUE is a reasonable sized SUV. They are very different vehicles.

brianmav, right on about the K&N and tire pressure. Most folks haven't had any success with the K&N boosting mileage--usually makes it worse, as it's designed to allow more free flow of air, which corresponds to more gas as well. I also keep the TP around 36 and found it makes a big difference compared to the high 20's (factory spec is 35).
  • mke_markmke_mark Member Posts: 1
    Purchased VUE Green Line 5/17/07. As of 4/22/08 I have filled the tank 53 times. Current mileage 18450. Average overall fuel economy 26.6 MPG. Best fuel economy 33.2 MPG. Only 5 tanks of the 53 so far have been 30 MPG or better. Worst mileage 14.8 MPG (through Tennessee mountains with cruise control on and a luggage carrier on the roof...won't do that again!) Normal commute 20 miles, mostly highway. Cautious driver. Found mileage was better on my 2005 VUE, I bought the Green Line Hybrid because I was promised 20% better mileage. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I've been a loyal Saturn owner for over a decade, but now I'm working to pay down my car loan and unload the VUE as quickly as possible.
  • chmsommchmsomm Member Posts: 36
    Hi Folks,

My wife siezed the 2007 Vue GreenLine last year by eminent domain because she likes to sit high. We just traded in our 2002 LW300 wagon for a 2008 Vue XR. My wife never got used to the brakes on the GreenLine, so she took the new XR and I got the GreenLine back. She only fills up every 2 weeks, regardless of vehicle. I have a 26 mile commute (round trip), high speed to bumper to bumper, nasty Philly roads and drivers.

We had a problem with the electrical harness, which was replaced under warranty. Not happy about that. Others have reported a variety of electrical problems, battery problems, etc. Not an insignificant issue when considering buying a GreenLine. Read the posts of customers with problems. BE AWARE!!!

I typically average about 25 mpg in the GreenLine. Observations:

1. This 2007 GreenLine is a mid-size SUV, not a compact car or a small SUV. Compare the mileage to other mid-size SUVs. The 2007 cost us less than the V6 XE model. The 2007 4 cylinder Vue was a weak mover, I test drove one. If you want a small 4 cylinder SUV, go get a Honda CRV.

2. You have to learn how to drive a hybrid. They have regenerative breaks to charge the battery, charge the battery when the car is coasting, have an engine shut-off, etc. If you are not willing to re-learn some driving habits, a hybrid (regardless of type) is probably not for you.

3. I characterize the Vue GL as a 4 cylinder plus vehicle. The acceleration is about the same as our old Chevy Malibu 6 cylinder. The 4 cylinder, with the added torque from the electric motor, is better than the 4 cylinder alone. This is not a V6 XR model, don't expect it to be.

4. HybridVue gives some very good advice, despite being somewhat neurotic about his mileage (how is that for a back-handed compliment). Charge the battery, discharge the battery. Learn to use "the coast", especially on down hill sections of the road, to charge the battery. Think ahead at intersections and use "the coast" to charge the battery. If you have a Lead Foot and like to hard accerate the Hybrid Vue is probabaly not for you. Lead Foots should get an XR. Accelerate at a reasonable pace/rpm.

5. You can do this without aggravating other drivers.

6. I typically use a gallon per day on my 26 mile commute with the Vue GL. This will go down to 23-24 during the summer when I use the air conditioner alot. I use it in the non-green mode (personal choice). I hate humidity. My mileage decreases a little, I don't whine about it.

7. My 2002 LW300 was using 3/4 of a tank for 5 days commuting, 8-9 gallons of gas. I now use about 5 gallons of gas for the 5 day commute. I have switched from a 6 cylinder station wagon to a 4 cylinder mid-size. I am saving $40-$50 per month in gas.

8. I have seen no posts on the 2008 GreenLine.
    Reply to my own post.

I have been able to calculate mare accurately after a few tanks.

Averaging 27.8 mpg in the 2007 Vue GreenLine. 26 mile round trip commute 50-50 burb and highway driving and weekend suburban driving. Traffic in our burbs is typically moderate, sometimes heavy, rarely light.

With gas now $4/gallon, a year after the purchase, I am very satisfied to drive a mid-size SUV that gets this mileage. Due to rather horrendous injuries I sustained as a passenger in a compact car that was T-boned by a minivan this is a good solution (a larger/higher vehicle with good gas mileage).
    With the warmer temperatures and the Summer Blend of Gas - my Hybrid Vue keeps on performing.

103rd Tank
    18+ Months of ownership – 46,090 Miles - 103 Fillups – Lifetime Avg 32.129 mpg.

Even with Gas at $3.979 per gallon my gas costs are only ~12 cents per mile.

Saturn Hybrid Vue Records (for the 2007 Model) -
    Best tank under 200 miles – 37.7mpg – Moms GL - Bob
    Best Tank over 200 miles - 37.24mpg – Saturn Hybrid Vue
    Farthest on a single tank without running out of gas: 561.9 miles – Saturn Hybrid Vue (I never overfill the tank.)
    Most tanks in a row at 30mpg or better – 31 Tanks – Smokey – John
    Most tanks in a row at 32mpg or better – 14 Tanks – Saturn Hybrid Vue

Here are my detailed stats:
    88 out of the 103 tanks have averaged over 30mpg.
    54 out of the 103 tanks have averaged over 32mpg.
    22 out of the 103 tanks have averaged over 34mpg.
    4 out of the 103 tanks have averaged over 36mpg.
    MPG since 3/1/2008 - 33.71 mpg over 8,120 miles.
    Cold Weather MPG (November 1 - February 28) – 30.73 mpg – 15,555 Miles
    Warm Weather MPG (March 1 - October 31) – 32.89 mpg – 30,570 Miles

As you can see these numbers are well over the EPA estimates. The technology is there with this Hybrid. However, it is also ones driving style that allows you to get the most out of this or any vehicle. Keep in mind - smooth accelerations and stops allow the battery to do what it is designed to do - Assist and Charge.

“HybridVue gives some very good advice, despite being somewhat neurotic about his mileage (how is that for a back-handed compliment).” Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy the statistical take and analyzing the numbers. However, my neurosis only effects my analyzing of data. If you were driving behind me or sitting as a passenger you would not notice any of my techniques – just the smooth ride.

Hello HybridVue,

I do not have people honking and screaming obscenities at me, even in Philadelphia, while I am driving. Yes, it is possible to drive, get good gas mileage, and not aggravate other drivers.

It is somewhat amusing when I pass people and they read the "hybrid" on the side or back of the vehicle. That includes Prius drivers, of which there are a substantial number in our area, even though they are not equivalent vehicles. Prius' seem to be everywhere.

I noticed a 2008 Hybrid Vue on the lot at our local dealership.

Have you heard anything about the 2008s?

Has Saturn solved the sometimes very serious electical problems?

Not a trivial issue.

It is too bad Saturn Corporate was not proactive in handling and correcting the electical problems on the 2007s.

They may have killed a good concept.
    To Chmsomm:

Your mpg's are very solid - best wishes in the future.

As for the 2008 - I have yet to test drive it. When I go to the dealer for my $50 oil change and tire rotation - they never seem to have one. So far, the jury is out on the 2008. It has been plagued by similar battery issues that some of the 2007's had. As a result, production has been limited. I have yet to see one on the highways and my other web site www.greenhybrid.com has yet to have anyone reporting real world mpgs.

I will let you know if I get any first hand info about the 2008's. As for me - I am waiting for the Plug in Vue in 2010 that probably will not arrive until 2012. At that point I should have about 175,000 miles on my Vue and it would be time for an upgrade.

Happy Driving.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Is the new Hybrid Malibu basically the same driveline as the Vue? Hope not, or this may do the same for GM hybrids as GM did for diesel engines of many years ago.
    To my knowledge the 2008 Malibu, Vue, and Aura are all mild hybrids similar to the 2007 models.

I have seen no posts on the hybrid Malibu or Aura.
  • kenmaternickkenmaternick Member Posts: 2
    Hi ! I'm thinking about buying a 2009 hybrid vue in the fall. My concern is that I will be using AC from May until November (Tucson, AZ)and wondering how much the AC affects the MPG. Is the AC good? Your story sounds like you spent a lot of time compling the info. I'd appreciate any info you might give me.
    I commute 26 miles round trip to work, bumper to bumper through expressway. My mileage has been between 27-28 mpg. That is without AC.

Observation: In my opinion the AC in the green "eco" mode is worthless. The engine shut off is significantly shortened. I find the on/off of the engine in that mode of AC is actually irritating.

Therefore I use the AC in the non-eco mode. There is no engine shutoff at traffic lights. I find my mileage goes down to 23- 24 mpg for my suburban driving/commute.

PS: I do carpool with colleague who has a Honda CRV starting 3 weeks ago. My Vue Hybrid with the AC on gets better gas mileage than his CRV with the AC on by 4-5 mpg. To maximize your mileage read the posts by HybridVue and myself about charging the battery using the charge/assist method. There are some tricks to maximizing your mileage. Also read the posts regarding the electrical harness and battery problems with the 2007 model, that may affect your purchase decision.
    My Hybrid Vue is garaged at home and is in a covered garage at the office. That helps to keep the car cooler in the summer. However, I still need to use the A/C to cool the car and the driver especially when the outside temps are above 82 degrees.

I usually have the A/C turned on in the first setting in the green ECO mode. I find it usually does the job. However, we had a few days pushing 100 degrees and I had to turn it up to the second fan setting. I find it takes 2-4 mpgs off of my average. If you take the A/C out of ECO mode it probably will hit your mpgs more.

As an aside - my wife finally drove the Hybrid Vue and got aroung 30.8 mpg driving on Long Island with the A/C going 80% of the time over 180 miles. It took 47,500 miles before she had to drive it. (I was on a business trip.) I was worried about the mpgs but she did a great job. She calls the Vue the "Big Blue Kahuna." She drives a 2000 Toyota Camry. Her next car will be a Hybrid, but since she only has 115,000 miles on the current car so she will have to wait. :)
  • kenmaternickkenmaternick Member Posts: 2
    Is there anyone who lives in Southern AZ or Nevada that drives a Saturn Vue Hybrid that can give me good MPG information. I live in Tucson and I am curious about the AC performance and economy. Thanks. Ken
  • camkscamks Member Posts: 2
    I live in Orlando and I average 26 mpg w/ a good mix of HWY and rural driving and I certainly use my AC!
    I should mention I have a 2007.
    I live near Philly and my commute is a mix of stop and go and highway. During the summer I use the AC in the non-eco mode full time. I get approximately 26 mpg. This will go up to approximately 28 mpg when the summer ends. I have a 2007 Hybrid-Vue.

FYI, I find the eco-mode AC irritating, as it shortens the engine stop.

I use the charge/assist method of driving, which seems to work out well.

My wife, who has a 2008 non-hybrid Vue AWD gets about 17 mpg under the same conditions.
    Hybrid Vue that are still driving. Did you folks have any wiring harness work done?
    I got the Battery Harness Update almost one year ago and the Hybrid has not missed a beat. 20 Months of ownership and I could not be happier.

Here are some lifetime numbers:

52,260 Miles
    116 Fill Ups
    32.289 mpg
    Cold Weather November thru February - 30.73 mpg
    Warm Weather March thru October - 32.999 mpg
    101 Fillups over 30+ mpg
    64 Fillups over 32+ mpg
    27 Fillups over 34+ mpg
    6 Fillups over 36+ mpg
    24 Fillups over 500 miles
  • trucktrickstrucktricks Member Posts: 45
    Interesting numbers. I just read where Consumer Reports (Oct issue) did a big comparison of 12 hybrids and the Vue came out on top!!! They say it saves $4550 in 5 years as compared to the non-hybrid model. The Prius comes in 5th with a $2000 savings. It is interesting that they are using their own MPG test numbers (28 mpg for the Vue) rather than the EPA numbers.

So the obvious advantage of the Vue is the lower overcost as compared to the "full hybrids".

Very interesting also is that three hybrids were money losers after 5 years and they were all Toyotas. Yankee ingenuity prevails again!!!
    One thing to note is most articles compared the cost of the Hybrid Vue to the 4 cylinder model, and calculate the years to pay off based on that.

When the cost of our 2007 Hybrid Vue was compared to a 6 cylinder front wheel drive XE it was $2000 less, which I think is more realistic. The Hybrid Vue easily outperformed the 4 cylinder model I drove. I think it is more appropriate to compare the cost to the 6 cylinder XE model. When that is done there is no "hybrid surcharge".

My wife saw a 2008 Hybrid Vue in a parking lot here in PA. I have yet to see a post on the 2008 model, discussion of potential harness or battery problems. Any word on those? I wouldn't credit GM ingenuity until there is word on fixing those rather serious problems.
  • grumpy21grumpy21 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Hybrid Vue about 1 mth ago. I am extremely disappointed in the MPGs. So much so I'm trying to see if they will take it back. I know they probably won't, but I want them to know how ticked I am.

It is advertised using the new EPA avgs as 25/32. I am only getting 16 and that is with about 25% freeway driving (with moving traffic). I traded in my V8 Tahoe that got about 10-12 thinking I would at least get 20 city. Getting only 16 was a shock to me.

Really look at the Prius - I'm sorry I didn't go that route since I was looking for something I could be my labs in and just use around town. Our other car is a truck so we don't need 2. I got the VUE thinking it had more space and I really like the looks - the MPGs just aren't good enough.
  • greenrogergreenroger Member Posts: 18
    Grumpy when I bought my 07 hybrid vue I only got 18 mpg, the salesman told me to just drive it and it would get better. It did I get at least 34 mpg now with almost 40,000 miles on it now.
    Yes like you I liked the suv space and looks.
    You should also look at the information on this site:
    http://www.cleanmpg.com/cmps_index.php?page=hypermiling
    or do an internet search for "hypermilling". I have had as high at 47 mpg on one tank and I'm working on getting more.
    I also use a solar charger and am looking at adding different battries and an ac (grid) charger to boost mpg. You might look at this site to get ideas for things that you can do to a mild hybrid to improve mpg's.
    http://www.afstrinity.com/
    Good luck and keep track of your mileage and post it here. Love to know how it does...
    First off - I think you purchased a 2008 Saturn Hybrid Vue. The 2009 models which will be a full Hybrid are not out on the market yet.

Second - the first tank may not have been filled up to the top and hence your poor mpg numbers. So wipe the slate clean, fill up to the top and then compute the mpg numbers for the next and all future tanks.

Third - have you tried any of these Saturn Vue Hybrid specific driving tips that I have put together?

- Before you travel - consider your commute. The mild hybrid system is not the best choice for heavy stop-and-go traffic or very short trips.

- Don't warm up the Hybrid. Turn on the ignition and go.

- When accelerating or coasting - I have gotten the ECO light to turn on between the speeds of 19 - 79 miles per hour. Keeping the RPM's low when accelerating is a big key. The key is to easy off the gas pedal, get the ECO light to turn on and then back on the gas pedal. I think I have gotten the RMP's to 3500 once or twice - when jumping into fast moving traffic.

- When breaking - I can get the ECO light to stay all the way on until I am stopped. Just make it a smooth stop and it will even go into Auto Stop.

- When driving at a constant speed - if you notice that the Hybrid is neither charging or assisting and the green ECO light is on - press the gas pedal more. You will notice that the additional accerlation will come from the battery and not the gas. The green ECO light will remain on and your battery will give you that added boost.

- When driving on a long downhill - let the Hybrid coast to regenerate the battery. You will find that when you press the gas pedal the assist will really kick in. If you drive resting your foot on the gas pedal you are not taking advantage of the regenative featurs of the hybrid battery.

- I rarely use the cruise control. I find I can do a much better job smoothing my ride than the cruise control can. The only exception is a completely flat drive.

The Key is to get the Saturn Hybrid Vue to do its job by getting the assist/charge function to kick in. By using the above techniques I have been able to have a lifetime average of 32.37mpg over 55,500 miles.

As for adding a pluggin system in the Hybrid that is great for some, but it requires an added expense. My numbers for my 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid have been achieved by driving smart and using the technology already in the Hybrid Vue. And for those that think I am crawling in the left lane - I drive at or +5 mph above the speed limit in mainly the right hand lanes.

One last note, while the above techniques may sound like alot of work - they will come naturally once you practice them. Enjoy the Saturn Hybrid Vue - I certainly do. :)
    Seems I am not the only one that thinks the Saturn Hybrid Vue makes financial and eco sense.

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2008/autos/0810/gallery.hybrid_suvs/2.html

Another tip
    - When stopped at a light or stopped in traffic - allow about 7-10 feet of space from the car in front of you. The Auto Stop will kick in and last anywhere from a few seconds to 90 seconds. If the Hybrid comes out of Auto Stop, inch a few feet and then press the break. In my experiences it will go back into Auto Stop. This is useful for those really long traffic lights. Like 5 or 6 way intersections.

Best wishes.
  • kipkkipk Member Posts: 1,576
    >"1. This 2007 GreenLine is a mid-size SUV, not a compact car or a small SUV. Compare the mileage to other mid-size SUVs. The 2007 cost us less than the V6 XE model. The 2007 4 cylinder Vue was a weak mover, I test drove one. If you want a small 4 cylinder SUV, go get a Honda CRV. "

You are saying, "If you want a small 4 cylinder SUV, go get a Honda CRV"

According to Edmunds.
    Weight..Vue= 3803 # CRV= 4560#
    Length...Vue= 180.1...CRV=177.9
    Width....Vue =72.5"....CRV= 71.5
    Although the Vue has largest outside dimensions, that can have to do with length of mirrors and bumpers. Notice that the CRV is 757 # heavier than the Vue. Even though the Vue is loaded down with the electric drive train and batteries. This suggest that the CRV is a more substantially built vehicle.

Luggage...Vue 29.2 cu.ft...CRV 35.7 cu ft
    Max cargo Vue 56 cu ft.....CRV 73 cu ft.

The CRV has more internal room and weighs more. That doesn't look to be the small vehicle you allude to.

Price wise the 08 CR-V MSRP is from $21,095 to $28785 with Nav, leather, and the whole shooting match. The only Vue offered has an MSRP of $25,645 and nearly $2000 more for the one 09 model.

EPA Vue 25-32...CR-V 2027

FWIW my wife's 03 CR-V with 4 speed Auto consistently gets 22 with her lead foot. It gets 24-25 with me driving. On the road, she gets 28-29 and I get 30-31

According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/ the mileage for the 17 reported 2007-2008 models is 25.95. The 25 reported 2007 and 2008 CR-V average was 24.55 mpg.

In real world the Hybrids simply are not getting the advertised mileage for the average driver. Even in the Vue, which is lighter and smaller than the CR-V.. ;)

Kip
    "According to Edmunds.
    Weight..Vue= 3803 # CRV= 4560#
    Length...Vue= 180.1...CRV=177.9 "

I think you must be referring to the Pilot. The CR-V has never weighed that much. According to the Honda website, the CR-V maximum curb weight (no passengers) is 3549 (AWD, EX-L). Minimum weight is 3389 (LX FWD).

BTW, it is no wonder GM is going under. Their Saturn site is slick, but provides no usable information - no specifications at all. Dumb.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    You didn't look very good as I found specs after clicking on the Vue and I bet the rest does too.
    "You didn't look very good as I found specs after clicking on the Vue and I bet the rest does too. "

Did you even check the Honda website?

I would think that the official Honda website has the most accurate data. Having owned a CR-V, I know they don't weigh that much - one would need a V6 to power that much weight.

If you got your numbers off Edmunds, there are two possible explanations:

1. You read maximum gross weight, which includes cargo and passengers, rather than the curb weight.
    2. Edmunds made a mistake on their site.
This discussion has been closed.