Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Are automobiles a major cause of global warming?

Comments

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Yes indeed, S.O.P. for all who work for Obama.

After a many years long campaign, the government is closing some 600 weather stations that they finally admitted were compromised and giving false data, data that distorted overall climate data with false readings that made warming look worse than it was.

They probably still need to close thousands more.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    The New York Times, a faithful shill for Al’s snake-oil elixir, following the wagon from town to town, got an advance copy of the U.N. report and gives out with the “good” news: It’s a “near certainty” that humans are responsible for the rising temperatures of recent decades, and warns that by the end of the century all the little people — small children, midgets and others whose growth was stunted by drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes at an early age — will be up to their belly buttons in salt water. The seas will rise by more than three feet.

President Obama tried the other day to elbow Al aside to lead with his assertion that hurricanes are getting worse and that only he has the power to put them in their place. Hurricanes are actually getting not worse, but fewer. Only three major hurricanes have made landfall so far in Mr. Obama’s presidency. Grover Cleveland, who was president between 1885 and 1889, entertained 26 major hurricanes during his presidency, and that was before global warning was invented.

On the contrary, what frustrates Al and the snake-oil industry is that the skeptics can no longer be shut out of the conversation. “We can expect the climate crisis industry to grow increasingly shrill, and increasingly hostile toward anyone who questions their authority,” Kenneth P. Green, a former member of the U.N. panel, predicted three years ago. Another former panelist, Dr. Kimimori Itoh, a Japanese physical chemist, calls the phenomenon “the worst scientific scandal in history. When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists.”

That’s too bad, because when science and scientists one day discover a genuine crisis, nobody will listen. We’re up to our ears already in snake oil.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/aug/23/pruden-up-to-our-ears-in-snake-o- il/
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited August 2013
    Ah, the Washington Times. Uh huh.

Down here in New Mexico, our friends have a neighbor who's a retired resource prof and he's following the drought. He likes the theory that the jet stream has shifted due to arctic changes. The idea is that the loss of sea ice is causing the loss of rain down here due to jet stream or circulation pattern changes. I recently picked up on it because of this headline, even though I don't plan on running the Grand again.

Unprecedented Cut in Colorado River Flow Ordered, Due to Drought (wunderground.com)

Come to think of it, if the river shrinks below 1,000 cfs, maybe I could canoe it without swimming every 100'.
    They did not bother to mention that the 3 states using that water have had massive increases in population and water usage. CA is double from 50 years ago, AZ has 5 times the population, and NV almost 10 times the population. That is a lot of toilet flushing. As for drought we are a desert. Hopefully we get some rain. Our friends spent 5 days in Prescott AZ and it rained 4 of the 5 days they were there. I am sure the firefighters would appreciate rain as well.

If it happened 800 years ago, do you think Al would blame that on Man as well.

GEOFFREY NORMAN says
    Reverend Gore, of course, doesn't deny climate change. Climate change has been very good to him, though he hasn't made any notable personal sacrifices to curtail it or, even, set an example of saintliness. Does not fly commercial or live, at last report, in a yurt.

He has, in short, the same sort of relationship with "carbon" that Elmer Gantry had with sin.
    edited August 2013
    "Up to our ears in snake oil". LOL, love it.

In the 70's, these "scientists" told us to prepare for global cooling... nothing happened.

In the 80's, it was the ozone hole that was going to do us in...nothing happened.

Starting about 15 years ago it was global warming...nothing happened.

Now it is the enigmatic "climate change". Well, maybe they finally found something that can't be disputed... the climate has been changing for the last few billion years, so I am sure it will continue to do so.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Actually the Montreal Protocol has been pretty sucessful.
    The only thing successful about the MP was that it was successfully ratified by several countries. It was just another misguided attempt to correct a problem that did not exist.

The only place the ozone thinning was ever noticed was at the south pole. It has probably been that way for a few million years and just recently noticed. Certainly there aren't a lot of people at the south pole running around haphazardly spraying hair care products.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited August 2013
    That's not the way I heard it.

Saw a woman on C-SPAN book talk not long ago saying global warming has plateaued. Something along the lines of this story from The Week. Ah, this was the show. She just mentioned GW in passing.
    So why isn't Al toning down his lies and rhetoric? He wants to get his CC stocks to shoot back up. He is a GREEDY low life [non-permissible content removed], that has Lied to the World and is trying to keep the lie alive. He can call those that are skeptical every foul name on national TV, we that have a brain to think for ourselves should reciprocate.
    edited August 2013
    Beats me - are you watching TV or something again? It's been at least a couple of years since I've seen or read anything about Al - really nothing much since the divorce.

[edit] - if this leak is true, then we'll have some new ammo next month to play with. (theweek.com)
    Interview has been all over the Net.

A Union of Concerned Scientists blogger wrote Thursday the former vice president deserved kudos for his "Nobel-Peace-Prize winning efforts" in being a strong voice on climate change -- but that a piece of misinformation made its way into an interview he gave to the Washington Post.

Gore, referring to Hurricane Sandy as the type of strong storm that's fueled by climate change, told the paper “the hurricane scale used to be 1-5 and now they’re adding a 6.”

"The extreme events are more extreme," Gore said in his Post interview. "The fingerprint of man-made global warming is all over these storms and extreme weather events.”

"There are no plans by the National Hurricane Center — the federal office responsible for categorizing storms — to create a new category," she blogged, adding: "Though, it is worth noting that the rest of the interview included accurate and important information and it’s unfortunate that this blip made its way in."

She also warned that "Politicians and others can be effective communicators of climate science and guide us toward policy action, but they risk creating confusion and eroding public confidence in science when they make misrepresentative statements."

http://www.newsmax.com/SciTech/al-gore-climate-change/2013/08/22/id/521861
    Well, that explains the Washington Times getting all excited. But I missed all that.
    Why should I believe what is written in a rag called THE WEEK? I don't trust anything I read anymore. EVERYTHING IN THE MEDIA AND ON THE WEB is agenda based. 99% has very little basis in fact. Most of the USA is having the mildest summer on record. South America is having the coldest winter on record. Those I assume are facts. We just experienced the shortest summer in the Arctic since when?

The GW cult is grabbing at every little shred of evidence and so are those that are skeptical. Divided we stand.
    Well, you don't have to believe The Week (just a site I found tonight): all you have to do is wait a month and see what the latest UN report says. Then you can dissect the conclusions drawn from all the studies.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    edited August 2013
    Last week CNN aired a report that sea level rise "could be" 3 feet by the end of the century. They showed a map of Manhattan before and after with a large part of the perimeter under water.

I actually looked up the data. Sea level has been rising since the end of the last ice age. On average in the last 110 years it has risen 1.7mm per year. THAT RATE HAS DECLINED to 1.2mm per year over the last 7 years. That correlates to about 5 inches per century or about 14% of the claimed increase.

GW is just another excuse for more government control and to suck more money from the private sector. Their "Solution" to tax energy would have absolutely no effect on our climate but would have a huge negative effect on our economy, forcing more people to become dependent on the government...ensuring the re-election of our brilliant and caring leaders.
    edited August 2013
    Basically the GW scam tied to Kyoto, is a way to extort money from the rich countries and give it to the poor countries. Filtered through the corrupt World banking systems. Canada and Russia have told them to stick Kyoto where the sun don't shine. The tin pot dictators across Mexico, So America, Africa and Asia are all standing around with their hands out. They have no binding commitments to cut back on GHG. Thankfully our Congress never ratified Kyoto. Even though Kyoto is all but dead a few die hard states and countries want to continue the extortion.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-08/carbon-market-champions-undeterred-by-k- - yoto-dead-end-eu-says.html

If you happen to be stuck in a state that extorts every penny from the tax payers like CA, your only real hope is moving out. The mandates that are in place will bankrupt the state. With three good sized CA cities already bankrupt and Los Angeles hanging on by a thread, the state cannot continue to kick the debt burden down the road. One bright spot was the court bringing our stupid High Speed Rail scam to a screeching halt. Hopefully they de-fund the agency and send them all packing.

Court rules California bypassed requirements for bullet-train process
    Officials failed to comply with funding and environmental reviews set in the 2008 ballot measure, the judge says in a ruling over a lawsuit aimed at stopping the project.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0817-bullet-ruling-20130817,0,4946222.st- - ory
    IS A WAY TO EXTORT MONEY FROM THE RICH COUNTRIES AND GIVE IT TO THE POOR COUNTRIES.

What it really is, is a way to extort money from the poor people in a rich country and give it to the rich people in a poor country.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

As I am sure you are aware, the U.N. is the most corrupt, politicized, and wasteful org. on this earth. Of course they are behind the climate change hoax and will push to perpetuate it any way they can. I would not put any stock on anything coming out of the U.N.

In very simple terms, their agenda could be boiled down to, "No man made climate change, no paycheck for us".

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

I have actually heard people use the argument that when water gets warmer it also expands and that this will contribute to sea level rise.

What they don't understand is that most things do expand as they heat up, but water has some peculiar properties and does just the opposite. It expands as it gets colder and freezes then contracts as it heats up.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    "What they don't understand is that most things do expand as they heat up, but water has some peculiar properties and does just the opposite. It expands as it gets colder and freezes then contracts as it heats up."

That is true ONLY around the freezing point, beginning at 39 F. At any higher temperatures water expands with temperature.
    True, but I would not call 39.2 degrees F very close to freezing.

I am no scientist but fire and water have always been very mysterious and fascinating to me. Almost like magic in their properties. I don't think that even the top scientists fully understand them.

It is a good thing that ice becomes less dense and floats..like ice cubes and ice bergs. I hate to think what would happen if all the floating sea ice suddenly sank to the bottom.

It probably can be done, but I have no idea how you could destroy water. You can change it from a liquid to a gas or to a solid, but it is still there.

If you ever find yourself in danger from a forest fire, do not try to run uphill to escape. Fire is one of the few things that travels faster uphill than downhill.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited August 2013
    It probably can be done, but I have no idea how you could destroy water.

Well, if one were to believe David Suzuki and his followers, just using it to frack, effectively destroys the water. For life so they claim.

That's another guy that (seems to) have an agenda. I wish he would stick to wildlife nature features...but then even when he does those now, he weaves the man-is-all-things-responsible angle into it..
    Just found this posted on Facebook. It seems to be an Elon Musk venture. Or at least he is involved. May be the answer to the horrible High Speed Rail that have eluded US so far.

WHAT IS ET3 and HOW DOES IT WORK?

ET3 is literally "Space Travel on Earth". ET3 is silent, low cost, safe, faster than jets, and is electric.

Car sized passenger capsules travel in 1.5m (5') diameter tubes on frictionless maglev. Air is permanently removed from the two-way tubes that are built along a travel route. Airlocks at stations allow transfer of capsules without admitting air. Linear electric motors accelerate the capsules, which then coast through the vacuum for the remainder of the trip using no additional power. Most of the energy is regenerated as the capsules slow down. ET3 can provide 50 times more transportation per kWh than electric cars or trains.

http://www.et3.com/
    edited August 2013
    I have been aware of this for some time. I thought it worked like the vacuum tubes you use at the bank but apparently that is not the case. An electric power source powers you up to speed in a vacuum tube (just like space flight) and you coast to your destination.

Easier and cheaper to build, like 1/20th the cost of high speed rail, and much more efficient. I think it will work.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited August 2013
    My brother's microwave died not long ago. He took it apart - there's some fun donut magnets in those things. Had a good time showing off and levitating plate and stuff for his grandkids. The California light rail project is maglev but this project of Musk's would handle the air friction part.
    I don't think the CA High speed rail was going to be MagLev. Just high speed rail like they have in several places including China. The CA/NV is supposed to be Maglev. Not sure it has gotten off the ground with the recession. I think Harry spent the money on the airport.

http://www.canv-maglev.com/index.html
    edited August 2013
    MAGLev is history for CA.

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA: Maglev gone, but high-speed rail remains
    Regional transportation planners focus funding, planning on local connections, not bullet train to Nevada

But the idea of a magnetic levitation train didn’t stick around for long in regional transportation plans developed by the Southern California Association of Governments. Local planners instead are concentrating on connections within Southern California, so that when — and if — bullet trains ever come, conventional trains have a steady and direct route to get to them.

So 11 years after maglev made its debut in the regional transportation plan for Southern California, the agency overseeing the road and transit plan has deleted most of the Anaheim-to-Vegas route once proposed, saying maglev is not moving forward and is falling behind a competing project. As a result, the 2012 transportation plan under consideration by the Southern California Association of Governments does not include the $12.1 billion California-Nevada Super-Speed Train.

http://www.pe.com/local-news/transportation-headlines/20120121-southern-californ- - ia-maglev-gone-but-high-speed-rail-remains.ece

PS
    Hopefully they are both gone FOREVER.
    Thanks, just flashed on an old link I guess. Sounds like the Shanghai one is just a "demonstration" one.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    Folks somehow think high speed rail actually would solve something. Without the built in population density and local transportation of Europe, it's a guaranteed black hole for all our non-existent $$.

They just celebrated the 30th anniversary of the local transportation network (DART, Dallas Area Rapid Transit). Guess how much of the DART budget is paid by actual fares (i.e., the users).....12%! Ridership has been HALF of projections, and isn't getting any better. I bet the same would happen with a high speed rail network.
    San Diego has a nice Trolley system. The ridership does not even come close to paying the bills. Looking at their annual budget, the riders paid about $94 million. State subsidy was $137 million and they are still showing $112 million shortfall. Time for the riders to kick in a little more I would say. Srs can ride all the want for $18 per month.

Going Green should be a shared proposition. Not just a burden on the tax payers. A student can ride the buses and trolley cheaper than the school bus fees.
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    That's kind of apples to oranges though. Transit isn't self-sufficient anywhere. Where do you think money is used from high gas and other taxes in Europe? It subsidizes transit. Instead of aiding ungrateful pseudo-nations and propping up the military-industrial and praetorian classes, they put money into infrastructure which is a common good. Different priorities.
    Farmers Almanac is saying that we are in for a bitterly cold Winter. All the hot air must be trapped in the D.C. area while the GW alarmists are wringing their hands.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• scwmcanscwmcan Member Posts: 399
    I have to agree, twenty or thirty years ago David Suzuki used to have some interesting information, it seems that now he is all about the evil deeds of humankind.
    Both Northern and Southern Hemisphere hit with record cold temps.

Most notably, Bettles recorded a low of 15ºF Saturday morning. This is by far the lowest temperature of record at Bettles in August. The previous record at the Bettles in August was 22ºF on August 30, 1969. At old Bettles, about four miles downriver from the current townsite, a low of 20ºF was measured on August 24, 1948.

http://ak-wx.blogspot.de/2013/08/record-cold-in-northern-interior.html

Hundreds of families have been affected and more than 250,000 alpacas have died due to freezing temperatures and snow storms.

http://iceagenow.info/2013/08/peru-250000-alpacas-died-cold-snow/
    The global warming cult, rather than admit they were wrong, changed their mantra from global warming to climate change. They can't miss with that name as the climate has been changing for billions of years.

Even I would agree that the climate is changing, so I guess with the name change they can no longer call me a denier.

It is kind of satisfying however, that all of us ignorant global warming deniers forced them to give up on global warming, change the name to climate change, and tacitly admit they were wrong.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

Some of the GW cult are still spewing CO2 from their mouths and Gulfstream Jets. Real examples of do what I say not as I do.
    NASA says it's getting hotter. So why is the Arctic ice cap growing so fast this year? (Washington Post and Daily Mail)
    Because the Scientists don't know anything. And are afraid to say anything that goes against the political agenda. I got news for the Politicians pushing their GW Scam it has backfired in Australia. And the Labor party and Green party just got their butts kicked at the polls. High electric costs a result of carbon tax was the one big incentive. We are getting totally screwed in CA as a result of the GW Scam. Unfortunately the Welfare vote will keep the dregs in office.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/abbott-i-pledge-mys- elf-to-the-service-of-this-country-20130907-2td1g.html
    The important question is this? Are the American electorate as smart as the Australians? Will they equate higher energy cost with government mandates, and vote out the perpetrators of those GW taxes & executive orders? In a nation of Sheep it is unlikely. I am still waiting for a LOGICAL explanation of how CO2 can cause global warming and cooling at the same time.

The way I see our scientific community is a bunch of followers. If a prominent scientist says it is GW all the underlings agree with him. Look at any University and you will see how that works. They are just as political as our government. Maybe even worse. Integrity is for sale to the highest bidder.
  • greg128greg128 Member Posts: 526
    Yes the Arctic Ice is refreezing at a record pace, and the Antarctic ice is at record levels. But that won't deter our brilliant GW adherents from their war on fossil fuels and by extension their war on our lousy economy. They will continue to look down upon the ignorant unwashed peasants like myself who cannot understand why Global Warming causes the Earth to cool.

Only exceptionally intelligent people like Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi have the ability to understand that concept.
    Obama's goal was to redistribute the money supply, and he has been extremely successful. He has managed to redistribute several million dollars from the citizens to his own pockets and has become a multi-millionaire while in office just a few years.

Water vapor is by far the largest greenhouse gas so get ready for the cloud tax.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

edited September 2013
    Actually I guess the ice isn't at record levels. It's (so far) a one year blip. The London press is at loggerheads over it.

"It was very irresponsible reporting on their part," said Ted Scambos, a glaciologist with the ice center. "They know what they're saying and how they are saying it, and to say what they said they had to cherry pick facts."

Scambos said the Arctic this summer was 2 to 3 degrees cooler than average, and the extent of sea ice in August was a "big increase" for a year-to-year jump. The sea ice was about the size of four Alaskas, at 2.35 million square miles, a 45 percent increase from the same time last year.

But that's about the same size of sea-ice coverage in August 2009, which turned out to be one of the lowest years on record, Scambos said."

Global cooling? London newspapers having a row over climate change in the Arctic (Alaska Dispatch)
    Scambos. What a great name for this scientist/con man ! Can't get much better than that !

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

How can you have GW and GC at the same time. AND IF it is CO2 that is the major cause, that is increasing while the cooling is taking place. I think the Warmers want it both ways. If CO2 causes GW we should not be getting cooler at both ends of the planet. I think the Warmers yelled "Fire" once too often and now no one is listening.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013/09/09/arctic-sea-ice-up-60-percent-in-2013/
    Most experts believe that warming of less than 2 degrees Celsius from preindustrial levels will result in no net economic and ecological damage. Therefore, the new report is effectively saying (based on the middle of the range of the IPCC's emissions scenarios) that there is a better than 50-50 chance that by 2083, the benefits of climate change will still outweigh the harm.

Warming of up to 1.2 degrees Celsius over the next 70 years (0.8 degrees have already occurred), most of which is predicted to happen in cold areas in winter and at night, would extend the range of farming further north, improve crop yields, slightly increase rainfall (especially in arid areas), enhance forest growth and cut winter deaths (which far exceed summer deaths in most places). Increased carbon dioxide levels also have caused and will continue to cause an increase in the growth rates of crops and the greening of the Earth—because plants grow faster and need less water when carbon dioxide concentrations are higher.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324549004579067532485712464.html
    Out with a whimper. They have been so wrong for so long, I did not think these idiots would ever blink. I guess being faced with so much bad publicity and so many facts that have come out recently, they finally realized that the jig was up...but I still find it hard to believe that they are throwing in the towel for good.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,092
    Well, they were smart enough to pick the lesser evil in the last couple elections, so all hope might not be lost ;)

Academia really is a culture of sycophants, and profiteers on top of it.
    Academia really is a culture of sycophants, and profiteers on top of it.

Don't forget the Limousine Liberal Elitists that believe none of US are smart enough to tie our own shoes. They pander to the profiteers that keep them in power.

Speaking of such. Anyone know some of the history of the "Rhodes Scholarship" set up under the watchful eyes of the Rothschild family? For me it shed a lot of light onto those that have received that gift.
    While much of the press attention in the political world this week is focused on the potential for a government shutdown over Obamacare, there's another big story with serious 2014 election implications that's flying under the radar in Washington.

As Reuters reports, Environmental Protection Agency administrator Gina McCarthy is set to unveil new rules tomorrow that will dramatically limit emissions by U.S. power plants. While McCarthy claims the administration's new rules "provide certainty" to the coal industry, the only "certainty" of their renewed war on coal is that thousands of jobs will be lost and Democrats running for the House and Senate in key states across the country will be further put on the defensive.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/brian-walsh/2013/09/19/epa-coal-restrictions- -put-obama-and-senate-democrats-on-defense
    Al Gore’s “consensus” is about to be holed below the water-line – and those still aboard the SS Global Warming are adjusting their positions. Some, such as scientist Judith Curry of Georgia Tech, have abandoned ship. She describes the IPCC’s stance as “incomprehensible”. Others, such as the EU’s Climate Commissioner, Connie Hedegaard, steam on oblivious. Interviewed last week by the Telegraph’s Bruno Waterfield, she said: “Let’s say that science, some decades from now, said: 'We were wrong, it was not about climate’, would it not in any case have been good to do many of the things you have to do in order to combat climate change?” If she means needlessly driving up energy prices, carpeting the countryside with wind turbines and terrifying children about a problem that turns out to have been imaginary, then most of us would probably answer “No”.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100238047/global-warming-belie- vers-are-feeling-the-heat/

This discussion has been closed.