Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

LR3 removeable tow hitch - how to get it off??

dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
edited April 2014 in Land Rover
Can anyone assist with this? I've tried everything I can think of.. no help so far.

There has to be a trick to this!

Thanks!

/DA

Comments

• british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Ahhh the hitch is a PITA the first time you take it off.

I am not sure if I can describe exactly how you orient the green release switch with words.

The key needs to be turned to the right position and the green release must be pulled slightly away from the hitch so that the orange ring is exposed.

You should pull out and twist the green handle down. That should make it release if the key is in the right position.

Keep in mind that the hitch is very heavy so be ready to catch it as it falls or just let it fall. DO NOT LET IT FALL ON YOUR HAND. It will break your fingers if it falls on your hand over hard ground or concrete.
  • chomondelychomondely Member Posts: 15
    I also suggest sending the children inside or at least out of ear shot. The dealer cleaned the lock with WD 40. I am sure that the dust will gum it up even worse. I don't know why Land Rover does not just use a latch pin. You could get a locking one if you were really worried that any one who could afford to pay for a Land Rover would try it to steal it.
  • barraclougbarracloug Member Posts: 2
    I just got my '06 LR3 as I was "browsing" underneath I noticed two cast iron weights, one next to each tail pipe. They are mounted on a rubber bushing and can swing back and forth a little. Does anyone know what they are for?? I t would seem odd to be adding dead weight to an already overweight vehichle!!
  • dandrews1dandrews1 Member Posts: 184
    I posted almost this exact question about a year ago just after I got mine

The response I got was that they are vibration dampers - keeps the vehicle from shimmying...

I guess that's a good enough answer for me...?
  • barraclougbarracloug Member Posts: 2
    Well thanks, I suspected it might be such. Crazy Brits!! (I am one myself!!)
  • kookmyer1kookmyer1 Member Posts: 5
    I was just under my '06 the other day and saw and thought the same thing.....WTH??? as if it isn't heavy enough....thanks for the explanation... i guess I can buy that!!!
This discussion has been closed.