Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Volvo V70 Owners: Give Us Your Report!

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Volvo
Congratulations on your new V70! Let us know what it is that you love about it and why you made the purchase!

Comments

• bprilikbprilik Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 V70 from a local dealer here in Denver tonight. As far as I can tell the car is awesome. I am a bit disappointed in the fact that I had to settle for a V70 T5 because I really wanted an XC. I caved because I thought that the deal was a good one and here in CO. the XCs tend to go for a bit more money.

The car has 55,000 miles on it. It also has a navigation system. I convinced them to put in a 3rd row seat and I told them that I wanted it certified by Volvo. They agreed to both of these things for $22,500. The 3rd row seat typically costs about $1500 installed and the certification has to be worth close to $1,000. If you have an opinion on the price that I paid please feel free to share. The bottom line is that the car is fun to drive, is safe and is practical. So, even if I paid too much I know that I will have fun with it.

PS-I read Consumer Reports and I still bought the 01'.
  • lozroycelozroyce Member Posts: 4
    I JUST BOUGHT MY WIFE A 2001 V70 T-5...IT HAS A HOWLING NOISE AND SHAKES AT AROUND 60MPH...I HAVE GOT THE TIRES BALANCED TWICE, I HAVE GONE TO THE EXTENT TO PUT A NEW DISC AND IT STILL DOES THE SAME THING. HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM OR HEARD OF SOMETHING LIKE THIS? THE ONLY THING LEFT IS TO PUT NEW HUBS!!!!ANY HELP GRREATLY APPRECIATED...ANYONE KNOW WHERE THE BEST PRICE FOR THE HUBS...
    THANKS
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Turning off the CAPS will help you get a better response as all caps makes things difficult to read for a lot of folks.

Sound like a better place to post this would be in the Volvo V70 Tire/Wheel Questions discussion as you could be looking at a bad wheel bearing.
  • twobigdogztwobigdogz Member Posts: 14
    We bought a 2005 V70 about 9 months ago. It was an untitled dealer demo with about 12K on it. We wanted a wagon because of our two 80 pound dogs (we were replacing a minivan that got totaled), and it came down to the Saab 9-5, Legacy wagon, or V70 (the mercedes was out of out price range, and wanted something nicer than the Taurus/Sable). All three are good cars, each with its own strong and weak points.

We choose the Volvo because my wife liked it better than the others (it would be her car) and it had more room in the back for the dogs, in part due to the squared-off rear. We love the ride, seat comfort, safety, looks, and the way the rear seats fold down. Mileage seems good, 30+ on the highway and mid-20s around town. We don't like the lack of small item storage in the front seat area - e.g., no good place for coins, and don't like the vibration at idle - but it smooths out quickly with speed.

My impression of Volvos is that the basic structure of the car is built to last forever, but the component parts are not always as reliable as some other makes. Consumer Reports gave the 2005 V70 high marks for reliability, in contrast to earlier years, so hopefully it will last for us. We would like to get 15 years out of it.
  • croncastcroncast Member Posts: 1
    We picked up a 2006 V70 about three months ago. And like twobigdogz is was untitled but only had 600 miles on it. It now has 3800 miles on it.

In the last three months it has been in for service 4 times (soon to be a fifth time as soon as Volvo will come and remove it from our driveway) and towed once (soon to be twice).

The repair visits have been:
    1) Passenger window that wasn't attached to the track at the factory so it wouldn't go down or up.
    2) A child booster seat that didn't have the release strap attached. Yes, the strap and accompanying plastic cosmetic piece were not physically attached to release the seat. So I pull and it comes off like it was glued with butter.
    3) Car will not come out of park or release key for 30 minutes. Got it in gear and drove it in. Cause: unknown.
    4) Car will not come out of park 8 hours after repair. Waited 2 1/2 hours for Volvo to get us a tow in a metropolitan area that is pavement from us to Chicago. Cause: a clip of some sort was broken.
    5) Car will not come out of park 12 hours after repair. It now sits on our driveway. Cause: Something is broken and the dealership hasn't figured out what needs repair.

To say that we have been dissatisfied with this purchase would be an understatement. My wife is now worried about driving the car. Even if the future repairs do the job I can't blame her. Getting stuck with a brand new car and two kids in the winter doesn't sound too appealing.

Has anyone else had a transmission problem or anything close to what I have described?
  • twobigdogztwobigdogz Member Posts: 14
    Croncast - Do you have a lemon law on your state? I've never checked the details, but in MA, I think the third time back for the same issue in some period of time gives you the right to return the car for a refund. We have had zero problems through 26K with ours
  • ricksv70ricksv70 Member Posts: 12
    Just to share a bit about my experience with Volvo. I purchased a new 2001 V70 2.4T from a dealer in New England and had it shipped out to Seattle (I wanted cloth and that seemed to be the only one - btw, my cloth interior looks like it just came out of the showroom - so unlike the leather I am seeing on aging V70s). Anyway, as much as I like this car (and I really do) it has been a constant frustration: my local dealer knows me by name. I have been hit by every service bulletin from 2001. The transmission went out at 36K. I have been plagued by front suspension problems. I have had 5 alignments within the past year - the car goes straight but my steering wheel doesn't. Odd that 4 local Volvo dealers can NOT straighten my steering wheel tracking. The turbo just went out at 58K. The worst part is that the steering is the worst of any car I have owned. MY ADVICE: make sure you have some type of extended service contract because you will need it.

Here is the odd part - I want another V70/XC70. I thought about Acura, Lexus, Honda, GMC, Cadillac, even the Azera, etc. I tried out a bunch of new cars but I can't get excited about anything but the V70 line. I guess I caught the Volvo bug and am used to the versatility of it. It is a comfortable car. My Uncle in Germany summed it up nicely; Volvo's are more like tractors. I agree in that they are not overly refined like higher end Euro/Japan cars, they drive like trucks and have a bank vault feel to them. It is a mixed bag.

I will not: get a V70 without turbo (even though I had my turbo replaced, the 2.4 is a gutless wonder), I won't get it without speed sensitive steering (non SSS is horrible), won't get the taupe dash as it shows way too much glare in direct sunlight. My graphite dash shows very little glare (this issue has been addressed with the new 2008). So when it comes to purchasing a used Volvo know the risks, read the reviews and talk to owners.

Again, I have had more problems than any other car I have owned but I want another one.
This discussion has been closed.