Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Mustang Owners - Meet the Members

ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
Introduce yourself to other Mustang owners!

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Comments

• mike189mike189 Member Posts: 24
    as a former ford mustang cobra owner ,i am pleased to announce the absence of the vehicle in my garage,to add .there are two very happy days in a ford owners life ,the day he buys it and the day he sells it,but i was happier when i sold it then when i bought it,what was i thinking when i bought it ,maybe a flash back from 1972 ,either way its happily gone ,and a new bmw m5 replaces it ,gee i must not be the only one seems alot of ford dealers have way too many gts on their lots that are not moving and ford wonders why they are hurting,maybe they should ask bmw what they are doing ,hey maybe the edsel will come back with a blower on it,and all tose ford owners will have something to droul over
  • gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Gee, just what the world needs...
    ... another arrogant BMW owner.
    no im not arrogant ,just smart,when you spend x amount of dollars for anything ,you do ,or should i say i do expect some kind of quality in the product,if not you find a product where it is ,not just sit there like a bump on a log and say gee man this is a mustang cobra ,but like life in itself you live and learn and research before you buy ,not after
    Yes you are smart and not arrogant. Thanks for that example of a long run on sentence. ;)

Well maybe you are just a little arrogant.
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    Buyers have to understand what they're getting when they buy a Mustang: amazing bang-for-the-buck performance, but in an antiquated, somewhat low-quality package.

For many of us, that fits the bill perfectly. But I can understand why people wouldn't like that, and would find it a poor trade-off.

Of course a BMW M5 is a better all-around car than a Mustang Cobra...for a price close to a hundred grand it had better be.

But a Mustang Cobra (esp. the last version) offered a truly great performance bargain. Sure, didn't offer much else, but what it did, it did quite well.

Appreciating Mustangs (esp. the high end ones) demands a sort of automotive asceticism, a willingness to tune out certain things and focus heavily on others.

To paraphrase an earlier Edmunds.com review, Mustangs are like that old college buddy that never grew up: frequently juvenile, kinda pointless, but you can't deny the good time you have when he's around. :)
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Or more simply, what other 500 hp car has an MSRP in the 40k range?

For the GT what other 300 hp car has an MSRP between 25k to 30k?

Even the V6 with rear drive and 200hp/245lbft for under 25k is a pretty good performance buy.

I think the "low quality" zing is not very fair. Yes, there are a few glitches but over all I think they have been largely resolved. I find the interior very well screwed together and the exterior even more so.

Mark
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    If you "researched," you probably wouldn't have bought a BMW. :P
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    I find it somehow appropriate that "mike" joined up on April Fool's Day....... ;)
    oh and by the way ,i did research ,thought it was a great deal for the buck ,and boy was i wrong but live and learn ... i have nothing against ford owners , i think the mustanf is over rated and thats why they sit on dealers lots and bmw m series sell,the problem with the american car manufacturer is that they mass produce way too many cars and flood the country with product,their values drop due to sooo many of them out there,where the imports ,especially bmw with their m series limit their production ,and they keep the dealers in line ,which keeps the vehicles having declining values ,especially when they dont sell,bur ford has a better idea,and it shows thats why they are treading on bank reputcy ,
  • mparis1mparis1 Member Posts: 107
    hey guys..i am interested in this Mustang....any info. comments....prices...performance.... new member...thank you. :)
    So what specifically didn't you like about the Cobra you purchased? What made you consider one in the first place?

Just curious. One doesn't usually see people in the market for something like a Mustang Cobra suddenly jump up to a vehicle with more than double the price tag...
    Great deal if you must have a Shelby, but aren't willing to pay the price/wait for a GT500 version.

Basically, they're Mustang GTs that have a bunch of Ford Racing performance parts added to them, plus the usual Shelby stuff (stripes, cobra emblems, etc.) I'm sure they're going for close to sticker, which is around $35k I think.

Functionally, you get about 25 more HP (not sure about TQ but I'm sure its a little bump up) than a regular GT, more aggressive gearing, better handling and braking ability and other goodies like a Hurst shifter.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay the extra $10k over the price of a regular Mustang GT (which can probably be had for a decent amount less than the $25k sticker) for it, but that's just me. They are definitely lookers though, and it'd be nice to have the performance goodies put in at the factory (and covered by the warranty).
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    If you know of a dealer with GTs on the lot priced in the 25k range, let us know where. All the dealers I'm familar with stock GT Premiums with IUP, the wrapped dash package, etc. We order as my cars with 18 inch wheels that we can get.

The least expensive Mustang GT on my lot is 28k, a Deluxe with IUP, Shaker 500, and Auto trans. The cheapest premium is at 29k with IUP, alarm upgrade, and auto trans.

Thats why most dealers don't carry many deluxes. For $20 a month you get leather? Count me in.

The limited availability of the Shelby GT as much as anything else will ensure they won't hang out on lots long even for you to even think about whether the 10k extra is worth it.

Mark.
    Yeah, I'm sure that's true...when I bought my '02 GT deluxe, I had to order it. No options whatsoever. ;)

I'm personally a bit of an anomaly, as my motoring pleasure has nothing to do with leather seats, radios, chrome interiors, etc. All that stuff is meaningless to me.

Do you have any Shelbys yet? My local dealer told me the had one GT500 (not previously spoken for), for about 3 hours total. :surprise:
  • maryawmaryaw Member Posts: 22
    My Father passed away and I now have his Mustang (the second one he owned so he must have been satisfied). I had to purchase it from another family member but it was worth it to me to be sure Dad's car stayed in the family and was taken care of. It's been to our mechanic and is in great shape (the other family member maintained it well for the short time she had it) except it needs some minor body work. It only has 50K miles on it. :D

What a great car! Yes, it's a little old-fashioned in some ways (like the rear-wheel drive) but I see why Dad enjoyed it. I am looking forward to many years of happy cruising.

I sure don't understand why the BMW owner felt obliged to post his displeasure in this forum. It seems it would be more worthwhile to spend his time chatting with other Beemer owners in a forums of their own (I'm sure there is one) about how much they enjoy their autos!
    Condolencenses on the passing of your father, but also congratulations on your new car. You'll definitely enjoy it. While perhaps not the most up-to-date in all respects as you point out, that generation Mustang is extremely durable and fairly problem free. :shades:

BTW just so you know, "srs" means "supplemental restraint system" (i.e. airbags). I assume you mean the lettering on the passenger side of the dash, right?

Which engine does your car have?

And in response to your question about the headlights in the other thread, it's possible they got water in them, but more likely is that they've become hazed on the outside over the years...this happens to these headlights sometimes (though not nearly as bad as with the 94-98 Mustangs).

Solutions range from lightly sanding and buffing the lights, to totally replacing them (they're somewhat expensive though...).
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    You can try regular white toothpaste to polish the plastic lenses. Saw it on TV the other day.
    Good tip. Do you have to use the baking soda type? ;)
    No, but the baking soda would probably be even more effective.
    HAHAHA! The joke is on me. I thought it was a trim level, like "SE" or "LS". Yes, it's lettered on the dash. Now I must change my profile so people won't laugh FOREVER.

The engine is a V6, 3.8 liter. That's about all I know about it. There's room under the hood for a bigger engine but this one's just fine, considering the price of gas these days. Gas was .45 per gallon when I first started to drive. Tonight it was almost 3 dollars per gallon.

Regarding the headlight covers: we're going to try to polish them gently.
  • nancy49022nancy49022 Member Posts: 6
    got to meet more mustang owners come see me i dont know how 2 get around all thius stuff :blush::blush:" alt="image" />
    Greetings! I am the third owner for this 2000 Mustang. It was my father's car and he was very fond of it. After he passed away in June 2006, my neice drove it until last week when I finally managed to buy it from her.

I wanted the car - it's a great car and has sentimental value because it was Dad's. MDH and I keep our cars a long time and plan to fix all the little cosmetic "dings" this car has. I hope to keep it at least ten years or more. It's in excellent shape mechanically, so that's VERY realistic.

So tell us about your Mustang.
  • moronixmoronix Member Posts: 29
    I recently had a 99 Mustang with the headlight lenses fogged up. I tried almost everything and NOTHING worked. I purchased special lens polishing stuff from auto stores that polished the lens with a 3/8" drill using a cloth attachment. When I traded the car in the dealer told me the only thing to do was to buy new lenses for the car at about $250.
    I love my new '07 premium convertible GT with 5 speed stick (Redfire). Different type headlight lens that looks good now. Hope they stay that way.
  • vistabluestangvistabluestang Member Posts: 14
    This was in the Chicago Tribune a couple of months ago.

When J.C. of Hoffman Estates wrote that he wanted to remove cloudiness from the headlight lenses of his 1997 Acura 2.2CL, which he likened to cataracts (Transportation, Feb. 11), we offered some tips and asked you to weigh in.

Here is a sampling of responses:

- First, wet sand with ultrafine sandpaper to remove the damage. Start with 1000 grit and work up to the finest grit you can find. Then polish the surface to a smooth, clear finish with a good- quality compound made for clear-coat paint. E.C., Westchester

- A very quick swipe with a very soft cloth very soggy with acetone does it. No rubbing, just swipe it on and stand back. A.A., Galena

- Smooth the surface with finer and finer abrasives, just like a woodworker or jeweler would do. Start with a relatively coarse compound--grit of 600 to 800--and work your way up, in several steps, to fine.

I use something called Novus Plastic Polish No. 2 about once a year. Not sure if the lenses are coated at the factory or hardened somehow, but once the cataracts set in, the treatment doesn't last. R.W., Chicago

- Try chrome polish. Wipe it off and polish with a soft cloth. W.H., Aurora

- I use Meguiar's Mirror Glaze. Use the No. 17 cleaner and No. 10 polish. I have used this on many vehicles as well as the plastic windshield on my boat with excellent results. G.C., Harvard

- I solved the problem some time ago. I ordered my Chevy Astro with conventional sealed-beam glass headlights for the above reason and because they are cheaper to replace. R.B., Waukegan

- Polycarbonate usually has UV inhibitors blended in it to resist sun damage. But solvents and chemicals that may be found in bug removers, glass cleaners or even sun-screen lotions can cause crazing (a condition before a fracture). Clean them with a mild detergent and coat them with an automotive wax to slow further damage. A.L., Round Lake

And now a word or two from Geoff Burgeson, of the development group for GE Lexan, a brand of polycarbonate:

"The problem with cloudy polycarbonate headlight housings is a difficult one. Because polycarbonate is relatively soft and subject to abrasion, it is almost always 'hardcoated' with an abrasion- resistant clear coating. It is this coating that scratches, dings or degrades and becomes cloudy.

"While polycarbonate can quite successfully be polished with buffing compounds or 'vapor polished' with solvents such as methylene chloride, the hard coating will resist and/or disrupt the process.

"The result of the sandpaper and polishing compound approach will be less than perfect [and a lot of work], but probably deliver a noticeable improvement--especially if the headlight is yellowed and/ or opaque due to haze.

"If you do the sandpaper approach, use a new, or like-new, lens as a reference for clarity and light transmission, though that will be difficult to measure. I expect some of the focus to be lost and the light transmission to suffer with a rougher than [an original equipment] finish.

"Also, once the raw polycarbonate has been exposed [and polished], what remains is a softer than original surface that will scratch and weather quicker than the original.

"While waxing does help significantly, it's a pain and at best a stop-gap."

We thank our readers for their overwhelming response. We also thank Geoff Burgeson of GE Lexan and add that we would advise against harsh solvents. We also are sorry to report that it is impossible to clean the insides of the lenses.

May your skies--and your headlights--be bright and clear.

----------

Bob Weber is an ASE-certified Master Automobile Technician, having recertified every five years since 1978. Address your questions to him in care of Motormouth, 17717 Silcott Springs Rd., Purcellville VA 20132. Send e-mail, including name and town, to motormouth.trib@verizon.net. Answers will be supplied only through the newspaper.
  • dansgtdansgt Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my 3rd Mustang. it took me 29 years to get my 98 GT and 2 years to get my 3rd Mustang GT. my first was a Shelby GT 350 H. which i owned in High School and when i was in the Army. sold it like a fool but you don't know then what you have and what its worth today. but live and learn. i'm glad with my 3rd wife things worked out for us to get the 98 we owned. it was Modified and we both loved driving it. it was totaled 2 years ago by some lady in a Benz who couldn't wait for my wife to go thru the intersection and my wife T Boned her totaled both cars spun the Benz around and it hit a pick up truck waitng at a red lite to turn. my wife had to have both knee operated on . shes doing ok but we can't do things like used to do before the accident., we are waiting on settlement from the accident. i don't know how people drive with they heads up there butts , the only way the see daylite is when they yawn, so we just bought a 2004 Mustang Gt Convertible with the help of my brother. it took us about 2 months of looking od Cars.com and 1500 Mustangs later. the price was right and the miles were right. only 23000 miles on the car. its in great shape, was well maintained. i'm the former VP of the Mustang Club of Maryland. we have over 250 Mustang members. love the best Pony car ever built. sorry the Break My Windows owner couldn't fall in love with his Cobra. well look at it this way now another Mustang owner has it and i'm sure he loves it. sorry about your loss Bemmer owner. Thanks Dan Heagy
  • wsustudentwsustudent Member Posts: 35
    Hi everyone. Well I jumped ship from my Honda Civic and picked up a new highland green GT Bullitt #5608 last night HID headlamps/Shaker500/ambient lighting and damn what a ride! I finally know what the missing piece has been in my life....the other 4 cylinders. Anyways, any of you veteran Mustang owners out there want to give me some advice on these things would be appreciated! :)
  • jester6jester6 Member Posts: 2
    Hello to you fellow mustang worshipers,
    I just love my fast back....yep, its a 1965 gt and I have owned it for 8 years. Just transplanted a 5.0 liter engine still using the v-belt set up. Just one problem...I should have intalled the 164 tooth flywheel if I was still planning on using my good old t-10. I still need to do this in order to start the car. I was considering just selling her and letting some one else finish the job...... I am just getting burned out. Has any one been there before? I found a 1968 gt fast back J-code for sale with all origional equipment and only 59,000 miles on the engine. I learned it the origional engine too. Any recommendations on what to do? I can be contacted at jarmstrong_28@yahoo.com. I have pictures on the 1965 gt fast back too. I reside in central california. I am looking for $18,000 or best offer. Contact me if interested.
  • papasam1papasam1 Member Posts: 84
    Anyone who owns a BMW was never a mustang driver/lover anyway, today I drive the same 1970 fastback mustang I was driving 14 years ago, just after driving my 1983 GT of 11 years and many more stangs before that so you take care of your BMW :P , by the where does it come from well so much for those cars and there drivers.
    I own and drive a 1970 fastback mustang and have for 14 years, there have been many mustangs over the years but theres aways another around the corner. I am starting to see that there are not alot of them out there anymore. My grand kids will have to sell this one after I am gone from this world. I keep and drive it just for the love of the car and the looks I get from others that like to own it.
    good day love how are you and your stang doing. I have a 1970 fastback mustang and of course it's red and four speed. If I can be of any help let me know, I have been working on them for 30 or 35 years or so ok.
  • sonlyme24sonlyme24 Member Posts: 1
    I'm a fairly new owner of a 1971 red Mustang Mach :blush: I, and I'm trying to find out how to document its original status. I believe I need to record the matching numbers to do this. Do you know which numbers I need and where they are located? Any help would be sooo appreciated. Thanks!
    Good day and how are you,
    yes the numbers are located on the tranny tag located on a tag on the right side of the tranny if it's a 4 speed and on a nut n the bottom of the tranny pan. The intake, the block and what every the VIN ID's the paint and engine and the type of interior group and the type of air and fuel induction and the rear end gears.My car is a resto-mod so the numbrs for me a no big deal but for somene trying to show or restore then the numbers are a BIG deal. ensure you brake down your VIN.
    amazing ,another ford owner in the clouds, i myself was a mustang cobra owner ,andi have a pontiac gtp, a 2008 bmw z4,and a 2008 m5 ,so much for your statement ...............................oh and yea ,so much for mustang cobras
  • sean_johnsean_john Member Posts: 2
    Hey everyone! im new to the forum but i wanted to ask you about a used mustang im interested in. Its an 03 mustang V6 engine. It is really clean and has about 71,000 miles for $7,700. I am hoping for it to be my first car and i want to know if its a good deal.And if these cars are reliable, Or should i look at other cars.
    Yeah Mike, don't forget about the Ferrari and 2 Lamborghini's and the Rolls Royce... or did you sell those? I think your alarm clock is buzzing. :sick:
    I must have missed something in translation, what in the heck are you talking about :confuse: do it again just for us mustang guys will you. Thanks
    I',m with you sounds like alot of hoopla to me to but what the heck we all should have dreams along with a long wish list.
  • JostJost Member Posts: 19
    Hello guys and gals,,,, I am new to this forum.. I've just bought a '08 GT Coupe, my first mustang, as the title says was a 1968 coupe in 1970. I've owned a lot of cars inbetween, never a Bimmer but I have had Audi's. I think that first poster is missing the whole point of these cars. This is a passion, its in the "blood". Sought of like a Harley Davidson, sure they leak oil,, and dont always start ( the Harley, not the 'Stang) but I true enthusiast won't by a Yamaha! These cars are reliable, fast, and foremost fun! I am glad to be back and hope to add to these forums.
    I for one is very glad to have you back in the fold and if there is anything I can do for you just say the word. I got my stang in 1993, see my profile for some pics. FOR THE LOVE OF THEM
    Thank you for the welcome! I will tap your knowledge and hope to contribute as well. I've always been a enthusiast....and the desire for these cars has always been there. I suppose for the 38 year gap I always allowed "practical" to dictate.. NO MORE!
    I checked out your profile, the '69 looks like a great project...would love to hear more about it. Of course the grandkids are great also :)
  • OrangepawsOrangepaws Member Posts: 2
    I thought this was for Mustangs.Stop replying to someone helping the German economy,anyway back to this mustang forum. Does anyone know about a Paint recall on 2007 Shelby gt's.
    As far as recalls, have you checked MustangForums.com? I know there is a list of all TSB there. I checked them prior to buying my GT, wanting to make certain that there we're no significant problems. I hope it works out!
    That was almost 2 years ago.
  • OrangepawsOrangepaws Member Posts: 2
    The recall was two years ago or the Post was? Looked on Mustang forum and could not find.
    The post you replied to was almost 2 years old.
    Thanks, The grands are at the top of my list of things to love above all else, the 1970 mustang is for the oldest one and I am looking for one for the youngest.
    I think I have crome for the 67/68 mustang (window) if you are in need and I have many engine parts for big block a 1966 410 and small blocks 289 amd 302.
    Hey, family is always at the top of the list. I have to sharpen my eye, I thought it was a '69 in the picture. I did like the '70 better. Its great to preserve old cars, to many have gone the way of the crusher.
    As we get older, we tend to see the value of family and the other things that make life worthy of living and being born in 1952 I eye sight has gotten very good in seeing these types of things and well as a good looking mustang.
    Very well said...Born in '54 myself.