Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazdaspeed6 Prices Paid and Buying Experience

abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
edited March 2014 in Mazda
It seems that the deals on MS6 vary greatly. Over the last few months, we have seen discounts from just a couple of grand to $8.5k off MSRP. There is also a fair bit of variability with repsect to pricing on this model even though many dealers have had units sitting on their lots for well over a year.

Please share prices before TTL and after all the fees and incentives.

Comments

• eviljoeeviljoe Member Posts: 14
    I cited information I got here and on other forums and eventually got them down to $22,300 on my 2006 liquid platinum MS6. At first they were insisting that they couldn't possibly go below $23,500 without "losing money"--until I pointed out their ad in the newspaper which had '06 MS6s for $22,999.

[note: salespeople seem to have a limited amount of standard lines to use. once they figured out the whole "we're gonna lose money" line wasn't working, i noticed three seperate salesmen at two dealerships both immediately switched over to using the "i'm sure you know more about the vehicle than i do" line. i suppose the idea is to suck up to the buyer so that he/she will pay more for the car as a thank you for the ego-boost.]
  • vfring98vfring98 Member Posts: 1
    eviljoe-
    Is yours the sports edition or grand touring?
    I've got one quote for "invoice" on an '06 speed6, grand touring with nav, for $30,495 before $3500 in rebates, if I finance it with MAC. So, total is around $27k. From what I'm reading, I should negotiate that down a bit. Do you all agree? My gf has S-Plan pricing, but that only knocks down the price $1500 or less, and I'd rather not use it if I can get that price on my own.

Also, what part of the country were they advertising $8500 off? I'm in the Bay Area, California.

Thanks.
  • napier777napier777 Member Posts: 1
    Nice, you did better than me, I ended up getting the Sport for $22.9K.
  • abraindrainerabraindrainer Member Posts: 312
    I have been on the fence for about 2.5 months and I have learned that prices on MS6 "magically" vary by location and time of the month. Some dealers keep saying "invoice less rebates" is a good price but they mean public rebates because there are certainly other less public ones. So 5.5k off MSRP is pretty easy and even getting across $6k barrier is not too difficult. Some markets seems more rational: Austin has been at $7k+ off for months.

I believe that Northern CAL has pretty thin inventory but Southern CAL is much better and $8.5k discounts were available at the end of last month. Only time will tell if the discounts are the same the same this month. My bet is that deals will only improve as stock continues to thin.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    My bet is that deals will only improve as stock continues to thin.

Don't be so sure. when inventories drop to a low level the marketing support is often shifted to a different carline.. Also, once Mazda does what is known as a final pay on the 2006 models thats it....the final pay isnt always the lowest. We got a final pay on a different model recently and it was $500 higher than the previous months total incentives.
    Well, the supply of MS6 units is still pretty high at many dealerships and many have units that were built over a year ago and must be sitting on the lots for close to that. If they are still there for a whole year, then the prices will have to come down in order to clear the inventory. :confuse: Do you have any other way to motivate buyers to buy those cars? The current incentives are not moving enough MS6 units, not any more!
    Well, the supply of MS6 units is still pretty high at many dealerships and many have units that were built over a year ago and must be sitting on the lots for close to that

Mazda bases incentives on national inventories and not the inventory of a few dealers in a specific area....
    Also, the last two months have been the best sales months ever for the speed6. The current incentives represent a terrific value and they are working...I recently took extra inventory to meet the demand in my area.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Member Posts: 3,159
    I ran out of MS6's, I had to purchase 2 from the port. Inventory in my area is very thin, many dealers do not have any. It is a supply vs demand issue here. I have no problem moving them, and still making good money on every one.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Are you guys doing a lot of leases? Locally, they advertise $349/mo.+tax for a 24mo./21K lease, with only the 1st payment due at signing. Which is a pretty good deal..

Alternatively, $7K off MSRP of the highest priced models.. including the rebate, of course.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

The current incentives represent a terrific value

I am not here to argue that! I believe there is little in the market to compete with MS6 GT for $22-24k or Sport for another $2k less. However, this vehicle is targeted to "grown-ups" that are older than STI/EVO boys and most of those folks have wives that are much less interested in shifting gears with the funky clutch. The target market is there but it is smaller than Mazda hoped!

and they are working...

They were working during the last couple of months but I am seeing the quotes/prices drop admittedly in only some markets. Many buyers have no appreciation for AWD if they live outside the snow belt...

Personally, I have found that some dealers will only go down $6k off MSRP and then get unpleasant... or start claiming other offers are lies. Yet, there are some (but not many) places that occasionally but openly advertize even $8k off or MORE!

If you live in smaller market with a handful of dealerships, discounts are less enticing. Thus, it may require travel or shipping to get some of the better deals...

How about you two (audia8q & aviboy97) offer us some REAL information on what your selling prices have been? Is not that the topic of this discussion?
  • stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    After lurking on the forums for months and months, reading everything I could find on the MS6, and skulking around Mazda dealers on Sundays when they're closed, I finally test drove a GT on Friday.

The first dealer I went to had 2 GT's on the lot, both demonstrators, and both with build dates 11/05. They had a Sport somewhere else that they wanted to sell me for 24K. It had no options except California emissions (the dealer was in Texas). This didn't seem like a great price, and the California emissions thing sounded a little fishy.

Friday evening, I called another Mazda dealer that we had visited last year about another car. They seemed nice at the time, so I figured I may as well see what stock they had.

They told me right over the phone that they would sell me a Sport for 22K. I went there, compared a Sport with a GT they had, and ended up buying the Sport. I really like the cloth interior... seems very durable, and I hate sunroofs (which the GT had).

So I ended up with a Black Sport with black interior, with the compass mirror option. It was brand new, not a demo, with a build date of 04/06.

Basically, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse... there are people buying 4-cylinder Accords for more than that.

Love it so far... the only worrisome thing was this: You know how in Finance they always try to sell an extended warranty... I guess for the MS6 the warranty is really high... as in 2K or something. Needless to say, I passed.
    How about you two (audia8q & aviboy97) offer us some REAL information on what your selling prices have been? Is not that the topic of this discussion?

Our real world prices have been in the $500-700 over invoice less incentives. Luckily, I havent had to participate in any firesale prices...We have 2 additional incentives for the hartford market on top of the national incentives that have been a huge bonus...autoshow incentive plus a thanksgiving incentive...which adds up to $4750 in potential rebates/incentives....we lose $1250 of that after Thursday.
    That is pretty interesting and it is consistant with my earlier observations about the prices being rather uneven.

Well, MS6 would probably have pretty solid demand (because of AWD) in CT, just like it would in CO. I would guestimate that your demand is much more "balanced" than it would be in one of the Southern states or even in the Southwest.

I think the Thanksgiving rebate is regional to include most of the East Coast. What is the effective region of your autoshow incentive?
    We have been doing the same. The last two I wrote were $1,000 over invoice, less incentives. On average, we have been writing them anywhere from $300 over to $1000 over. I have never ever had a problem selling them. No fire sales necessary.

What areas of the country are there these crazy $2,000 below invoice ,less rebates, prices we are seeing??

We only have $4,000 in incentives, $3,500 + $500 Turkey-Day rebate, I'm in the New York market, even though I am in CT, so, I did not get the extra $250.

I only have 1 MS6 left, a Sport.
    Well, MS6 would probably have pretty solid demand (because of AWD) in CT, just like it would in CO. I would guestimate that your demand is much more "balanced" than it would be in one of the Southern states or even in the Southwest.

That is a good assumption. People here, especially this time of the year, start thinking AWD. Demand has remained high for the MS6. I wish I could get more!

Also, my area is a huge market for import tuning. With the aftermarket world starting to put out performance mods for this vehicle, many are looking for a less expensive alternative to the EVO/STi.
    First, there is no good tunning for MS6, not yet. There are bolt-ons that increase power but there is no tunning to fully take advantage of those upgrades. When it comes out it will (likely) be much more expensive than others because there is much less volume in Mazdaspeed models and CX7 is not likely to be tuned by many either. EVO & STI will eat MS6 on the performance side but both lack in interior refinement but have plenty of police magnetism. Sorry, MS6 is an niche all by itself or maybe it is overlapping with LGT... It is no STI/EVO beater!

However, I think you are beating your own drum a bit too much if you think that the demand is "HIGH". If it was high, you would not see so many dealers who have units that have been there for a whole YEAR! Or you would not see Mazda increasing their incentives to $5k territory. I do not know about NY but the NJ market has players at either side of $8k off!
    This is the wrong forum to discuss performance vs the STi/EVO, however, I know fist hand that the EVO cannot pull away from a MS6 on the highway. That is the only claim I will make. Because I went up against one on the highway, and I never left his bumper! Also, bolt-on's are tuning. There is also turbo upgrades out as well as FMIC's.

However, I think you are beating your own drum a bit too much if you think that the demand is "HIGH". If it was high, you would not see so many dealers who have units that have been there for a whole YEAR!

I must say, I am not beating my drum too much at all, I am here selling them, you are not (no offence). I deal with customers every day about this car. I think I am in perfect position to say what I have observed in my area. Demand can be "high" with incentives, as it is in my area. So Mazda has rebates out, that does not mean people are not desiring the vehicle. If anything, this car is now a steal! It should be taken advantage of.
    Just to add a correction. I just stated that with the current incentives, the MS6 is a good alternative to the EVO/STi...never said it was faster. However, once again, I was shocked to see one could not pull away from me on the highway, probably because the EVO is not geared great for driving in top gear.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It's Tuesday so it's time for our weekly Mazda gathering! Avoid the holiday crush at the mall and have a relaxing chat! :P

The Mazda Club Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
    This is the wrong forum to discuss performance vs the STi/EVO

Funny comment considering YOU brought that point into the discussion. Personally, I think EVO will eat MS6 for lunch (at the track) because it is a better all around performer. Ability to stay on ones bumper on the freeway only proves that the disparity is NOT huge!

Furthermore, if I were to install an FMIC or another turbo would your dealership still touch my vehicle with respect to warranty issues? In either case, I also think that MS6 is a steal particularly at prices that are far below invoice and after incentives.

I am here selling them

That is part of the problem: you have a vested financial interest in anything you say here. What is my motivation?

I have looked far outside my area, have you? I have said it above and I will say it again: the prices vary greatly and the market does not seem very uniform. However, given upto $4k in price differences that your data also confirms (at least at one end), I would suggest that buyers from your area should start looking across the country because the cost of shipping is well under $1k...

You may not like that I say that but it seem like a plausible explanation or the truth, does it not?
    Funny comment considering YOU brought that point into the discussion.

No, my initial statement was "an alternative to the EVO/STi."...that's it! You went on to say how the MS6 does not compare, egging on my personal experience!! ;) LOL. You are forgetting I never said it was a faster car on the track. I only used my experience on the highway, I made no other claim!! I know the STi/EVO will "eat the MS6 for lunch on the track". I also sell Subaru's out of the largest Subaru dealer in the nation, although that alone does not mean I am an expert, however, I am well aware of what the STi's are capable of, as well as the EVO's.

Furthermore, if I were to install an FMIC or another turbo would your dealership still touch my vehicle with respect to warranty issues?

It is not up to my dealership, it is up to Mazda North American Operations. I am not a tech, nor am I a service consultant. Legally, unless the manufacturer can prove that a modified part caused a failure, the warranty must be honored. Magnuson Moss Warranty Act US Code-Title15, Chapter50, Sections 2301-2315.

I have looked far outside my area, have you?

Of course I have! But, why would I tell any potential buyers to? That's just silly. I am well aware of what dealers across the nation are doing, however, it has no relevance to me. I was asked by YOU to give my input as to what I am selling them for!! I'm doing just that! LOL

You may not like that I say that but it seem like a plausible explanation or the truth, does it not?

Hey, I'm not going to sit here and disagree with you, for, if I were a consumer, I would do the same. However, I am not. I am on the other end of the spectrum, and it is the American way to do what I do, after all, this is a capitalist society, correct? :shades:

Anywho, my interest here is not financial, but rather because I am an enthusiast. I am here to learn as well as educate.
    Excellent, so we are basically in agreement! LOL too!

However, I am not sure that dealerships always follow the manufacturer or government "rules". I (and others) have been told numberous times that abuse (even when there was not any) has caused the problem and it would not be covered under warranty. Basically, the transactional effort of fighting for repairs is sometimes much greater than the cost of repairs and the firms know that and thus their practices reflect that bit of knowledge.

YES: MS6 has better HWY gearing and it also has a better power/torque curve. However, it is bigger/heavier which may hurt more on take-offs. I also think that MS6 is weaker on cornering (needs bigger feet) but it is almost there on the brakes.

I prefer MS6 because of the interior and lack or racer looks or sleeper appearance.
  • jdubs952jdubs952 Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,

For those sales people in the NJ/NY/PA area, I was trying to figure out what the deal would be for a lease. I would be trading in my 2003 Taurus SE (realistically $4500-5000). Any thoughts on what a lease payment would be? I think the deals/incentives are pretty inticing and its between a used GTO purchase, Trailblazer SS lease, or a MS6 lease or purchase. Thanks and hopefully we can do business.
    Yeah, most manufacturers do not like to pay out, and try to place blame on the owner. Thats just the way it is. A smart owner would then do as much research as he/she can, possibly hire a lawyer if they think they have a really strong case.

Could not agree with you more about your assessment of the MS6. I happen to prefer it over the rally rockets. More comfortable ride, plenty of power, and good handling, and sleeper look.
    It is against Edmunds rules to engage in negotiations about a purchase with a dealer. However, you can receive advise.

Mazda will announce new programs tomorrow, the start of the new month. New lease programs, as well as interest rates, and possible change in rebates. I know that today, Nov 30th, is the last day for the Thanksgiving rebate of $500 on all 06 Mazdaspeed6's.
  • jdubs952jdubs952 Member Posts: 2
    Oh, sorry.

I just see such a wide variety and if they are seriously doing 8k off MSRP, which means I can get into a MS6 GT for around 22-23k, thats a steal. But a used 400hp GTO is about the same price..decisions, decisions!
    The GTO does not have AWD, and really will just go fast in a straight line. The Mazdaspeed6 in a very well balanced vehicle with power, handling and fit and finish. Plus, a longer warranty, with Mazda having a better reputation for reliability.

It really depends what you are looking for.
    What's news on the DEC incentives?
    We have a total of $3500 for Dec. There was a total of $4500 for Nov. We lost the $500 auto show rebate and $500 thanksgiving incentives.
  • pegasuszzpegasuszz Member Posts: 31
    You can get an extended warrantee from the same or other providers directly. The extended is not the same as the regular warrantee, and even the best of them have exceptions. The best 3rd party warrantee is financed from Toyota through an intermediary. It still has a few exceptions of note, like 'burned valves' and 'shock absorbers'. My dealer, Jim Ellis in Georgia, offered the Toyota warrantee for a little over 1K - a good value actually. I'm undecided whether to take it (unlike some add-ons, you can get it later). BTW, buying experience at JE was good, better than I expected actually.
    Short take: 2K is high, the Toyota warrantee is worth looking at, and you must read the actual coverage and exceptions for ANY extended warrantee.
    Some things you have to remember when purchasing a warranty, especially the MS6. For one, it's a considered a class4 vehicle because of the turbo and AWD. Remember, these parts are more expensive to cover.

Comparing a MS6 warranty to a Toyota FWD warranty is like comparing apples to oranges. A more direct comparo in warranty's would be the Subaru Legacy GT and MS6.
    Still, $2k for the MS6 warranty is highway robbery! IMHO.I would be surprised if the dealer cost is over $1k....

FYI: Most manufacturers allow you months (and even years) to purchase extra coverage. Furthermore, the manufacturer's warranty can be purchased from a slew of sources and again you can utilize the market forces to get the best deal. If you unbundle all of the vehicle purchase components (tradein, financing, warranty, etc) and shop them separately, the savings could be huge... of course it is more work!
    It all depends on the coverage and term and what service you are using. I use Easy Care, which is a Mazda warranty.

Dealer cost is around $1,000 or more depending on term and coverage. Believe me, they are not cheap.
    ...I was the original poster...

The finance guy was pretty straight... he said most extended warrantys that he tries to sell were written and/or backed by the dealer. I'm not sure if that meant the dealer had his own warranty company or an arrangement with some third party.

For the MS6, the finance guy said the dealer won't touch it. The only EW he could sell me was straight from Mazda, and his cost was over 2K. He didn't think it was worth it either. I'm pretty sure he would have made me a deal if he could have, and the only flexibility he had was with the home grown warrantys, not the Mazda ones.

Not sure if that makes any sense... it was the end of a very long day and my memory might be a little cloudy.
    Personally, I would only buy a manufacturer warranty because the fine print and the hassles of 3rd party stuff can be really troublesome. Interesting, many dealers prefer to sell 3rd party stuff because the profits are probably higher.

Stkntraffic: I think you missed my point, you can get a Mazda warranty from any dealership or an online outfit. In addition, you can probably still do it right now. As some have pointed out, you can also buy the warranty and then you typically have a few days to change your mind and get a full refund.
    abraindrainer, I'm with you... I've found a few places online that sell the "official" Mazda warranty, I think it's called "MEPP".

I guess my original comment was just an observation that the dealer didn't have high hopes for the reliability of the MS6... but I figure, I'm at least covered for 4/50. If the car has a lot of issues, you reach a point of diminishing returns... even if you're covered by a warranty, the constant hassle of bringing it in for repairs wears thin.
    MEEP is a Mazda warranty, Mazda Extended Protection Plan.

Keep in mind, you can purchase an extended warranty as long as you are still under factory warranty, however, once you drive off the lot, you car is considered "used" and you may be subject to a price increase other then what you were offered at the dealer at the time of purchase.

I suggest you shop around, I am sure you can find a Mazda warranty at a decent price if you look hard enough.
    I tried pricing these after a recent purchase and the savings were pretty significant compared to what the dealer offered me: 30%+. However, after some thought I decided to skip it entirely because I already sampled a couple of years of that vehicle's reliability!

Furthermore, if you buy a policy for $1k now or for $1.2k in 4 years that is about the same price if one discounts it back to present value. Many consumers forget that when you buy a warranty for new car you get almost no benefit until the regular warranty runs out! Is it wise to give interest free loans to major corporations?
  • bmw123456bmw123456 Member Posts: 1
    Just did a look under total cost of ownership here on Edmunds and they predict $7K depreciation in the first year. To me this means an 06 on the lot isn't truly a deal unless they cut 7K off. The dealers around me have about 9 06 models on the lot and were offering 4.5K off sticker. Does anyone know any particulars on the liquidation of 06 models?
  • tomekktomekk Member Posts: 310
    There is $4,000 rebate (2.5K off and another 1.5K off if you finance through Mazda credit) until Jan 2nd, 2007.
    Tomek
  • redsfan1redsfan1 Member Posts: 58
    I talked to a dealer today about a 2006 Mazda 6 s Automatic Sedan brand new car. Car is a 6 cylinder model. They are willing to sell for 18,300. I want to try and get the rear wing spoiler added to the car extra for free. Do you think I have room to negotiate iwth this offer. I was thinking about offering 17,500 and ask them to include the spoiler with that price. I think they want to get these 06's off the lot. What do you think? Thanks!

Also, does anyone know if there is much difference between the sedan model adding a rear wing spoiler VS the 2006 sport model. Does the sport model just have a different grill on the front or are the sides different of the car??? Just wondering. thanks
  • joe131joe131 Member Posts: 998
    Anyone know for sure what the current, as of 1/3/07 rebates and incentives are in Arizona for a 2006 and a 2007 Speed 6 ?
  • saabskisaabski Member Posts: 61
    Hello all,

I have a final offer of $17,500 (roughly $7,000 off the sticker) for a 2006 6s. This is a auto in silver with grey cloth interior, also with no options. Price is including destination, but no taxes and fees. It is including the $1,000 MAC Cash. I think I could push them for another $500-what are your thoughts?
    I think this is a forum for Mazdaspeed 6. The regular Mazda 6 is not the same.
    Maybe there is a regualar Mazda 6 sedan prices paid board where you could get info on it.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• waygrabowwaygrabow Member Posts: 214
    Visited my Mazda Dealer yesterday for a 5000 mile checkup & oil change (switched to synthetic oil). Previous visit they had 4-5 2006 MS6s on the lot; now they are all gone and only one 2007 MS6 is in stock. It appeared that the list price on that new MS6 had gone up- $31K+ with leather, sunroof, etc. I noticed that the listed EPA mileage on the MS6 is 19 city, 25 highway; 25 mpg is the worst mileage I have experienced in these 5000 miles. In fact, when I filled the tank yesterday it computed to 26.5 mpg. I've got a CEL issue; the car runs great but the dealership says that they need to order a part which helps regulate air flow to correct the CEL.
    IWJW WTH is CEL?
    TFYEC.
  • ericzoomericzoom Member Posts: 213
    CEL - Check engine light.
  • j2adlemaj2adlema Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2006 MS6 grand touring with moonroof, autodim/compass mirror, wheel locks, and cargo net for $25,900 out the door. That was $3750 cash back, $1000 mazda cash (if you finance through mazda), and $500 supplier discount. Total of $5250 in rebates. If you are looking for a new 06 buy now before they are all gone!
  • jtgamblejtgamble Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking in to buying an 07 GT with Nav and Moonroof. After one email to one of the local mazda dealerships they have quoted me (correct spec, right color) $30,363, which is invoice. I will probably be paying cash for the car. Do you think I'll be able to get much better than that?
This discussion has been closed.