Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caliber Electrial/Lighting Issues

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Dodge
Discuss electrical problems here.

Comments

• trans12trans12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a new caliber R/T, with drivers convienence group evry thing works great but I was wondering ---the switches have leds/or lights in them,, the 4 on the driver side --1 on the passenger side ---and the ones in the back seat ---should they all be illuminated ?? only the one switch for the drivers window is lit at night is this the way it should be---Thanks trans12
  • bigtsrbigtsr Member Posts: 149
    Only the drivers window switch is illuminated by a LED,
    I've had mine apart and there are no other LEDs just
    the greenish plastic perspec.
  • rhb35rhb35 Member Posts: 2
    I have a new caliber and for some reason sometime in Aug the head lights would come on when the car is started and will not shut off untill the car was switched off, this in it's self is not the trouble.. It seems that when this happens the blinkers, or windsheild wipers will work.. I have taken it to the shop but they could not find anything worng with it.. It is an intermittent problem that seems to happen when the car is hot or there is a lot of moisture in the air... My question is have any of you seen this or heard of it.. Please let me know as this is starting to drive me nuts... :confuse:
  • xcaliberxxcaliberx Member Posts: 3
    I am trying to replace the drivers side turn signal bulb but cant find how to get to it.Please help if you can. ;)
    You have to loosen the wheel well splash shield and move it aside to reach the
    lamp sockets for replacement purposes-that's right from the service manual.">
    Hey, thanks. I bet if they had thought harder they could have hidden it a little better.
    I have an 04 Caliber SXT and have only the right high beam. The drivers side will not come on. I am on my third bulb and have ever taken the multimeter to it. Voltage isn't as high as the right side on the left end pin. Low beams work fine. Help if you can. :confuse:
  • buddy50buddy50 Member Posts: 1
    2007 Caliber blinkers do not work on the dash or outside the car. I checked all the fuses. What esle should I look at? Is there another set of fuses somewhere? flashers work. Eveything else works.
    Sorry to hear your turn sig problems-no the only fuses are those
    in the engine compartment.I have read 1 or 2 posts about the
    switch in the turn sig stalk failing,you may want to try diconnecting
    the negative post on battery for about 10 minutes in case the
    TIPM(where the fuses are)computer is confused.
    Other than that it means a trip to the dealer.
  • tcsmpsitcsmpsi Member Posts: 31
    Went to get an inspection, and was told driver's side headlight was out (high beam).
    So, I went to owner's manual to find what headlamp and how to replace. Owner's manual said to 'see your dealer'. I needed oil change (with coupons, cheaper than me doing it myself), so thought I would get headlamp changed also. They didn't have any.

Is there something exceedingly special about the Caliber headlamp? Or, is it just my 'luck'?

Is there a 'trick' to changing the headlamp (why refer to dealer)?
    Check in your owners manual for the bulb number or a any parts
    store should stock them.If you have small hands you can change
    them from under the hood but the service manual tells you to undo
    the wheel well liner for easy access to the bulbs and mountings.
  • jsandpcjsandpc Member Posts: 5
    Just a heads-up... I had a trailer hitch and light wiring harness installed recently. When I hooked up the harness to my small utility trailer, I discovered an issue. Turning on the headlights caused the lights on the trailer and the caliber to flash a few times, then turn off. I first thought this was a short or a grounding problem on the trailer, but I soon discovered something different.

I found out that the extra lighting caused an overload and must have been tripping some automatic breaker on the car.

I replaced all the bulbs in the trailer with aftermarket LED light bulbs and that solved the problem. I searched here first and could not find the issue with anyone else, so I thought I'd post what worked for me in case it happens to anyone else.
    The Caliber uses the Canbus electrical system where many signals
    are transmitted over the system to tell the management software
    when things are right/wrong.In your case the extra current draw was
    noted by the TIPM(totally integrated power managemnt) hardware
    and it took action to isolate the problem.You resolved it (maybe
    not permanently) by changing the load current.
    The real resolution that has been posted in other Caliber forums
    is to install a relay which is actuated by application by the regular
    brakes/signals.
  • fried09fried09 Member Posts: 1
    Parked car, shopped, tried to start car, nothing. Had to jump start. Took several minutes hooked to other car. Once started drove home, turned off car, tried to restart. Nothing. Battery reads 12.95V. Oh and when we drive car, abs and brake light dings, not constantly, but every now and again, enough to drive you nuts. If the battery is good, what could it be?
  • thunderbobthunderbob Member Posts: 3
    Hi My daughter has a 08 caliber and her rear window defrost button will not stay on. What do I check first? (fuse). How can I diagnose this problem?
    Do you mean it does not come on at all?
    The rear window defrost works on a timer/temp system and is
    not meant to stay on indefintely,normally it comes on and goes
    off automatically.
    Hi bigtsr

No. When I press the dash button the light goes on but as soon as I let go of the button, it turns off. If the button was mechanical I may think it's a defective button. Ripping apart the dash sounds like a big job. I don't want to do that if I don't need to.
    Actually the dash bezels can just be pried off from the sides,having said that
    if the light comes on it may not have complete circuit to support.
    Is the foil on the rear window damaged?
    If not the system maybe shutdown by the TIPM computer that monitors
    electrical systems and can selectively turn off sources of overcurrent,this
    can only be tested and reset by a dealer using Starscan.
    A wild shot might be to disconnect the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes
    then reconnect and try.
    Hi bigtsr

This is excellent. Thanks. At least I know something about it now. When She comes home, in a few days, I will look closer for a short in the wiring that I can see..

Bob
  • irritatedownerirritatedowner Member Posts: 4
    07 SXT, noticed today when leaving work my RR brake light was out. Got home and changed out the bulb. Put a 2x4 on the brake pedal, and nothing. Put the bulb in the other side to see if it was the bulb and it worked fine. So if it's not the bulb what do I need to look for here?
  • bhargesheimerbhargesheimer Member Posts: 2
  • bhargesheimerbhargesheimer Member Posts: 2
    Ok so i have a 2007 caliber and been having problem with it every since I have had it for the last two years. What happens is after a take out the key and just sit in the the gauges needles will go from zero position to the park position (below 0). And I have to jump my car off a few time and in two years i have had to get the battery replaced 5 times. Know i went into a dodge forum and found out that this was a issue on car made before september 17, 2006 but my car was built in feb. 2007. So the dealership say it not that but it the exact problem. The service number is 08-052-06. So has anybody had the same issue i am having. I need help. It at the dealership now for a new battery and a oil change since they can't figure it out.
  • bighawk84bighawk84 Member Posts: 1
    My 08 Caliber SXT sometimes hessitates to turn the starter when I engage the the starter with my key. When this happens I notice the remote for the doors won't work and the bell for the lights will go off with the keys removed and the door open. I have been back to my dealer several times and of course it doesn't happen when he looks at it. I believe it is the ignition switch going out because it senses the keys are in the ignition with it out because of the bell going off when I open the door and the keys are out and the lights are off. Anyone else have a problem with this? I am comming up on 36,000 miles and it will be out of warranty in 2,000 miles and I got a road trip next week that will put 3,000 miles on it.
  • porky15porky15 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2008 Dodge Caliber. First the engine light would beep on and after a few days, it would turn off. That happened 3 times. Now when I turn on the left blinker, it starts out normal, then it beeps and the blinker starts blinking very quick. Any ideas on how to fix this and does anyone know if this is would be covered under the warranty? I have just under 30,000 miles. Thanks.
  • robkabobrobkabob Member Posts: 1
    I know how you feel because my caliber just got out of warranty and the same thing with the key is happening to me. It won't happen but a few times a month. I also think it may be the ignition switch. I have 34,000 miles on my 2007.
  • aviator62aviator62 Member Posts: 1
    I have a TIPM problem a few days ago, the dealer said that the TIPM has damaged and has to be change...

My Caliber is a 07 SE year and version.

An alarm shop installed a year and half ago a non factory buglar alarm.

The alarm was conected to the red wire (power) in the starter cylinder (ignition switch) at steering column.

-Does this power source (red) wire has any relation with the TIPM, Do you think conecting to feed the alarm to that power source can damage or over heat the Caliber TIPM or that wire is not related with the TIPM ?

-Also, In what case has to be a Relay and in what zone has to be installed the relay when installing a buglar alarm in the Caliber?

-After this, how important is to know the Caliber electrical system before installing an Alarm or it is like any other car electrical system?

Thank you in advance my friends for your kind help.

Regards
  • libero3132libero3132 Member Posts: 1
    So here is the problem. I have a 2007 dodge caliber SXT. Enough said at this point I think. Anyway, the first month and a half I had it, the vehicle stalled while I was taking a nice drive up a mountain. Dealership said nothing was wrong. Luckily that has not happened since, but I am in constant fear that it will do it again with my new born in the car. To make my nerves worse, my blinkers, high beams, and windshield wipers do not work. Periodically, they'll switch back into my control, but that is only short lived. When I have no control over it, the lights come on automatically, although they almost didn't come on when I was leaving work at night. Obviously the no blinker thing is dangerous in traffic and can cost me a ticket, and the no windshield factor is a major safety hazard. I tried disengaging the negative post on the battery, but that didn't work, and I am at my wits end since this has been going on for a year now. Should I put money into trying to find a solution, or trade it in? Or is there some secret that I don't know about? HELP!!!
  • pontecorvopontecorvo Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2011
    Hi, my left hand headlamp does not turn on. The light turns on on the high beam. Is there a fuse for it? THe bulb is good
    thanks
  • billeboybilleboy Member Posts: 1
    The left low beam was replaced a few times and blows out on 2nd on/off cycle. that occured a year ago and have been driving with highbeams.... now the left parking light is only on blinker.. "parking light" does not work.... is this a "multi-conductor plug" coming loose?? now no left lights.... help!!
    thanks
    b
  • kindn3sskindn3ss Member Posts: 2
    Did you get an answer to this, pontecorvo? As I have the same issue now?! :(
    Can be reached at kindn3ss@yahoo.com :)
  • kindn3sskindn3ss Member Posts: 2
    Did you get an answer to this, pontecorvo? As I have the same issue now?!
    Can be reached at kindn3ssyahoo.com
  • fixitboyfixitboy Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with the headlamp too. I replaced it and examined the first bulb. The bulb appeared OK, and the new bulb had the same issue (no low, just high beam). I wouldn't think they are on different relay's or fuses, so the problem might be in the connector or wiring.
    I was hoping someone else has dealt with it, and has a solution.
  • momwhiterosemomwhiterose Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering if you ever got any answers about your problems? My daughter bought a used 2007 Caliber & is having the same issues. Our mechanic can see nothing wrong when it was brought to him, of course everything was working at the time. She also looses the speakers to her radio. The other day she started the car & the wipers came on and off & the radio was flashing.
  • rhb35rhb35 Member Posts: 2
    It ended up being the wire harness. I had to go back several times untill it finaly was seen by the maitance department. Have them check that out.
  • fixitboyfixitboy Member Posts: 2
    No I did not get a firm answer, but some theories.
    If it truly is a wiring issue, an idea was to override dependency on the relay by cutting the hot wire to the light. Then you would splice the hot wire from the left headlamp and connect the splice to the right side headlamp. To ensure safety, you could place an in-line fuse in the newly installed run.
    If it is a computer problem, the issue is more complex. The repair would be a step by step attempt to correct the issue by 1) Disconnecting the battery terminals and either keep them separately disconnected overnight, or 2 ) disconnect and clamp them together for 10 minutes minimum. Both acts could theoretically reset the computer and corresponding DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) Code that was set originally (both did not work for me). I knew this because I checked it with an hand held diagnostic tool you can buy for about $49.
    The next step would be to ask the dealer to reset the computer. The dealer has a computer that can perform the task, but they may want to tell you what their theory is, and not do the repair.
    The last step is to replace the computer. I would think that is $700 to $1000 before all is said.
    I work for a company that makes the Chrysler Wireless ignition systems. We know how to reset DTC's and have the ability to do so if needed. Any DTC can be reset after making a repair or if it appears to be a false code as well. Our system talks to the car computer, and the computer runs certain Diagnostics through our unit to verify functionality. Tests such as TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) and Rain Sensor on the newest vehicles are which run through the unit to check. Sometimes they will give a false reading, and we know this and reset them.
    My problem is that while I was experimenting the DTC for the Tranny came on, and it was not a false reading. The CVT Transmission blew in my Caliber, and now it sitting on the lawn waiting for a new/used one from Ebay. A belt blew and these things are virtually unserviceable. The bottom line is they are not great cars. The proof is the introduction of the Dodge Dart coming out soon to replace the Caliber. The Caliber was a lot of good ideas with a bunch of cheap parts, so it was doomed to fail. This is the Chrysler mindset, and I don't see it changing unless Fiat forces them in certain circumstances.
    Hope this helped.
  • momwhiterosemomwhiterose Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. We'll have them check it out.
  • 08srt408srt4 Member Posts: 1
    Myself and my brother both have 2008 Caliber SRT4s and are having the same problems. There is a serious problem with the wiring harness on these cars and Chrysler won't admit it. I've had my computer replaced once, and in January 2012 I was told that my harness is corroded and needs to be replaced. I was told by the delaer that there isn't a wiring harness made as of yet so they did a temporary fix. I called Chrysler Canada and was told to bad so sad it's your problem. My brother was also told the same thing.

Is there any known recalls for this?
  • mslady007mslady007 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    My battery light is on. I just changed the battery and had the alternator checked. So was wondering what could be the problem. My car seems to run ok. Any suggestions?? It is a 2007 Dodge Caliber with l09,000 miles on it.
  • motorjunkie80motorjunkie80 Member Posts: 4
    My brother bought a used caliber that worked fine for a couple months, then the fog lights went out. Whenever we hit the fog light indicator on the dash it light up but the actual lights wouldn't come on. We were on a tight budget so we tried doing some stuff ourselves. I noticed the car was shaking a little bit from the 'amazing' Firestone tires haha so we rotated those and bought our own installation kit for the headlights and they work fine.
  • vaati76vaati76 Member Posts: 1

Okay, so I have a 2007 Dodge Caliber, and I was just using my car earlier today and it was working fine but when I turned on my car tonight, my headlights went on, and I could not turn them off, (and I don't have automatic headlights), I cannot turn on my high beams, I can not control the brightness of the lights inside the car, and I have no turn signals (but my 4-way flashers work). Does anyone have any ideas what it could be? My car starts fine and everything else seems to work.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Almost sounds like it has to be some kind of grounding issue. That, or some kind of controller gone haywire

• shepherd6shepherd6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2010 Caliber SXT and here recently I have noticed that while I am driving and even when parked with the park lights on, the hazard lights flash a couple of times and go off. It really has me stumped at this point and it kinda shocked me that this new of a car would have problems like this with the electrical system. Has anyone on here had any problems with the hazard lights intermittently coming on at random times during vehicle operation or is it just me?
  • andre77andre77 Member Posts: 2
    Hello  I have an 08 caliber, and the tail lights  don't work. Checked fuses, and none are labeled tail lights. I replaced all bulbs, and still not working. Anyone else have this problem?
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,742
    Exactly which lamps are out? Only the rear, or all of the parking lights? The tail lamps are controlled by the TIPM (totally integrated power module), that's the under hood fuse block assembly. The headlight/parking light switch uses a LIN bus (local interconnected network) to relay driver commands to the instrument cluster, which sends the requests to the TIPM. You really need a full function scan tool to do any diagnostics with this system. While TIPM failures are common, that's not the only possible failure and its a bad idea to try and guess.
  • andre77andre77 Member Posts: 2
    The tail lights are the only ones out. Brake lights, head lights, backup  lights, and turn signals all work. My wife dropped the car off  this morning hopefully nothing too serious.