Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord Engine Questions

2»

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've gotcha now. When you said just "LX" I was thinking Sedan (the only model that comes designated as such now). All 4-banger coupes have the 190hp engine.
  • tankbeanstankbeans Member Posts: 585
    Sorry about that. I just assumed that they would have the same engine specs. I forget that they are completely different now. The two new Accords Coupe vs. Sedan don't even share the same lights. I know with all the options available it is very confusing to try and figure out what is what.
    no problemo! Merry Christmas!
  • accord_97accord_97 Member Posts: 6
    hi guys, happy holidays! can someone help me with the strange noise on my honda accord 97 model. it sounds like my bearing squeaking and usually when the engine is warm already, if i step on the gas. the sound will disappear. i tried changing bearings from timing belt, also water pump and, still the sound is there. i believe its on the left side part of the engine (facing the engine). is it my transmission? i have automatic transmission.
    i'm not really sure but my suspect is it might be my transmission.. any ideas how i can fix that? or how much would it cost to fix that?
    When i try to put my gear from neutral/drive to D4 of the engine. it would take about 1.5 seconds to accelerate.. is this also a problem? tnx..
    When i try to put my gear from neutral/drive to D4 of the engine. it would take about 1.5 seconds to accelerate.. is this also a problem? tnx..

This operates just as my 1996 2.2L Accord LX does. That isn't a problem, just the nature of the transmission - it takes a moment to engage. I have 177k miles on my Accord, and the transmission has NEVER been a problem.

I can't answer your other questions, but they might be able to in the 1994-1997 Honda Accord Maintenance and Repair forum. Good luck! :)
    tnx for the advice thegraduate.. i'll try to check on that forum. btw, when i try to bring it to a mechanic before, they cannot find where the sound is coming from. so weird. :D
    That is odd. Best of luck accord 97, sorry I couldn't help you any more; I'm not very mechanically inclined!
    I have a stupid question, but it's something that's been nagging at me. What the heck do the liters in an engine correspond to? I mean what does it mean? I know that the greater number of liters means the larger the engine and the more gas you're going to use, generally. I don't think it corresponds to the amount of gas in the engine at any given time and I know that it doesn't correspond to the amount of fluid, transmission, coolant, brake fluid, etc. I'm a moron I know, but this is been a question that's nagged at me since I started driving. This may one for the gear-heads out there who really understand the internal combustion engine.

By the way, lest ye get offended, being a gear-head isn't meant as an insult.

I know this a completely random question, but I've wondered for a long time and have never gotten a straight answer.

The last answer I got was that a liter equaled 56.5 cubic inches, but that still doesn't make sense.

Signed,
    Confused Automotive Moron :blush:
    you know that your engine has pistons, and the pistons move up and down in their cylinders.
    When the piston moves from top to bottom, it sucks in a certain amount of air. How much air it can suck in depends on how big around the piston is, and how far it moves when it goes from top to bottom.

Let's say that the piston in your car is 4 inches (10.16 centimeters) in diameter (also known as the bore), and it moves 4 inches from top to bottom (also known as the stroke). That means that one piston in your engine can suck in:

radius ^ 2 * pi * height = volume of a cylinder
    5.08 cm (bore/2) ^ 2 * 3.14 * 10.16 cm (stroke) = 823.3 cubic centimeters

If your car has 4 cylinders, then it has a has a total displacement of:

4 * 823.3 cubic centimeters = 3,292.1 cubic centimeters, or 3.292 liters

A car manufacturer would round that up and say that your car has a 3.3-liter engine. This means that the displacement of this particular engine is 3.3 liters. If you were to turn the crankshaft of this engine through two complete revolutions, the four pistons would inhale a total of 3.3 liters of air.
    For example, the capacity of the Accord's "2.4L" engine is actually 2,354 cubic centimeters.
    Thank you very much. Now I kinda get it. I know it wasn't an important question, but I guess I'm just curious by nature and there are some things, even when mundane, that just nag at me and drive me nuts if I can't figure out an answer.

Since you said it sucks in air would that be why a 3.8 Litre V6 should be more powerful than my 2.4 Litre I4. And it's because of the fact that the 3.8 would 'suck' more air thus creating a greater fuel to air mixture and provide more propulsion. Is that essentially what's going on? Hopefully propulsion is the right word. :blush:

Sorry if my wording is confusing. Grammer has never been my strong suit.
  • saintsfan1989saintsfan1989 Member Posts: 2
    I really do not know what is up with my 03' Accord V4. Whenever stopped at a traffic light, with my foot on the brake, the car keeps kicking as if it is struggling to stay in place. I put the car in park and as soon as the kicking stops the car goes below 500 RPM and the engine shuts off. I then have to turn the keys in the ignition again to start the car up. Once turned on, the kicking begins and it seems the engine is only not struggling when my foot is on the accelerator or it is in park in which case it turns off. WHAT IS GOING ON?!
  • canddmeyercanddmeyer Member Posts: 410
    This might be one of several things on the I-4. If the check engine light (CEL) is on have the vehicle serviced or if you are in a state where it is allowed, have an auto parts store read the code if you want to attempt a self-repair. If no CEL then take it to your mechanic or dealer.

This shouldn't be an engine issue, but rather an electronics or fuel issue. I'd bet on electronics. Good luck.
  • bk1977bk1977 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2007 Accord EX-L. I bought it new in September 2006. I now have close to 90K miles on it and am looking at a few services. My dealer tells me I need the timing belt replaced (amongst other fluid flushes) My "mechanic" tells me that his system shows the 4 Cyls as having a chain. Who is right? I know close to nothing on engines - looks like a belt to me when I popped the hood? :confuse:
  • mrbill1957mrbill1957 Member Posts: 823
    edited April 2010
    The 4 cyl Accords have used a chain since 2003. Just the 6 cyl Accords still use a timing belt.

Mrbill
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Even if your engine is a V6, you would still not see the timing belt under the hood. The belt you see is the serpentine/accessory belt. You would have to remove some covers to see the timing belt. Are you sure you have the 4 cylinder?
    My Dealer is jumping up and down saying that I have a belt (all 4 cyls since 2004 says them) I know for a fact I have a 4 cyl. It is a 2007 4door EX-L. 166hp, 2.4liter DOHC 16 Valve i-VTEC 4 cyl engine. Now I am not sure what to do...more advise please....
  • chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    edited April 2010
    Dump this dealer.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    When you say "Dealer", do you mean the salesman or someone in the service dept? If a service person is telling you that you have a timing belt, I wonder what else they are screwing up. As already stated, the I4 has had a chain since 2003. That's a long time to be misinformed. :sick:

I'd talk to the service manager, especially if they are as adamant as you say. Do you have another Honda dealer close to you? Or a good independent shop maybe?
    It is the service dept telling me this. I like your idea of calling another dealer. I will do that. The independent shop is the one that alerted me to this whole thing. Even the owners manual says timing belt for V6 models! This has always been an all around great dealer - they may have lost a customer for life. Thanks for the help - I will keep you posted.
    Called Another Dealer - Belt. Called a 3rd dealer - Chain. I'm going with chain. Thanks for the help.
    2003-CURRENT 4-cylinder Accords have a timing chain; the dealer is wrong; I'd never go back.
    You might want to write a quick note to the service managers of the misinformed dealers telling them why you won't be back. If I had a business where my staff was THAT confused, I'd want to know so that I could correct it.

Replacing a timing belt is costly. I find it hard to believe that 2 out of 3 didn't know that you had a chain. Kind of makes you wonder what they would do if they tear things apart and find a chain. Would they still charge a customer? And how many times has that happened to others? :sick:
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    edited April 2010
    Hello bk1977
    I have a 2007 SE with a 4cylinder engine. Standing in front of the car and looking at my engine the first thing I see are four pipes going downward. On top of these pipes there is a black plastic cover. There is a sticker on this cover that reads "I-VTEC 2.4 DOHC SULEV" On the passengers side there is a serpintine belt 1 inch wide. This belt turns the power steering pump.alternator and a/c. This generation 4 cyl engine has a chain not a belt. I hope this info helps
    Corkscrew
  • temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I don't care what your dealer says. You do not have a timing belt. I have an '05 Accord EX-L with the 2.4 four cylinder. It is the same generation as yours. It has a timing chain and so does yours. If you want a service advisor at my dealership in Tennessee to talk to, I can give you his number.
  • accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Does the 09/10 Accord V6 use a chain now or still use a belt ?
    The v6 uses a belt.
  • hndaacchndaacc Member Posts: 1
    I am putting a new engine in my 1992 Accord and was wondering if a 1992 Prelude VTEC engine will fit in it, if so is there anything extra I will need since i am putting a VTEC in it and there isnt a VTEC in it now.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Here's some GOOD IINFO on this particular swap.
  • saak1978saak1978 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a brand new honda Accord 2010 4cyl. Around 300mil. my car start making some noise sound. Honda service people and dealers claims that that is normal.
    I think that they just want to bury the problems.
    Be aware guys!
  • puck1943puck1943 Member Posts: 3
    The F 23A1 engine installed in the 1998-2002 Accord LX, EX and SE models was manufactured in both Japan and the US. The heads, valve guides and valve keepers were identical. However, the Honda parts lists recommends different (and much more expensive) intake and exhaust valves for the Japan made engine than the US made engine.
    00514711-P0A-000VALVE, IN. (TMSS Japan made) $18.51:
    00514711-P0H-A00VALVE, IN. (U.S. ENGINE VALVE) $10.45:
    00614721-P0A-000VALVE, EX. (TMSS Japan made) $ 28.74
    00614721-P0H-A00VALVE, EX. (U.S. ENGINE VALVE) $15.33

Dokuro, a Japanese manufacturer of valves, also lists different parts for the Japanese and US made engines.

But Beck Arnley and Federal Mogul lists the same valves for both US and Japan made engines.
    My question:
    1) Are the valves for the US and Japan made engines interchangeable? If not, what are the differences between those parts?
    2) Has anyone installed valves for the US engine in a Japan made engine and encountered any problems.
    Your advice would be appreciated.
  • mechanicnot1mechanicnot1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Honda Accord LX sedan, 4 cyclinder. When I first turn on the car, a strange, hesitation sound is heard. Then as the engine is running, it makes the sound similar to a train, as if something is rubbing. Any suggestions what it may be? Suggestions would be appreciated.
  • puck1943puck1943 Member Posts: 3
    The description is so vague it is difficult to diagnose. Does the noise disappear after the engine warms up? Is it louder on acceleration or deceleration? It could be anything from a leaking exhaust manifold gasket hole in the muffler to a leaking or missing spark plug.
    I suggest you construct a log for a week carefully describing when the noise is loudest and when it is absent and the circumstances that are associated with any changes.
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited July 2010
    IIRC Accords in the years you mention were assembled both in the US and Japan.

I haven't found it laid out definitively for this engine, but it looks like cars built in Japan were generally destined for export to countries (not in North America) - which may have had a higher compression ratio, for instance, European countries use a different octane rating system for pump gas and have a higher octane baseline fuel.

While cars built in the US were typically for domestic (North America) consumption. This handily explains why the US replacement part manufacturers only offer the one part, as they typically don't supply those parts outside North America.

Might be hard to chase this down for sure. The hint at this came from an Acura forum. Honda might be including them both in its parts master to cover gray market cars, or they are using one parts master worldwide.

You could always try ordering one of each to measure - you might find out at that point one of them is unavailable or they deliver the other one when its ordered anyways due to their own internal warehouse parts cross reference.
  • 2stressd2stressd Member Posts: 1
    getting headgaskets fixed on 2002 coupe. when mechanics got into engine they discovered a waxy substance all through engine and radiator. said looked like someone poured candle wax in it. they baffled. any insights,ideas,answers ?
  • jmillerjmillerjmillerjmiller Member Posts: 113
    edited July 2010
    If it was a GM, I would say it was a DEXCOOL special
    Dexcool

Could be someone used the wrong type of coolant. Honda's are one brand where for the coolant, power steering, possibly transmission you generally need to buy their brand for that engine, per the manual.

There are too many types of coolant floating around, and you generally can't mix the types.

Possibly there is a leak from the ATF cooler built into the radiator, pushing ATF into the antifreeze, not sure if possible on that model or not.
This discussion has been closed.