Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 460/LS 460L News, Views and Opinions

Comments

• nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    ..My brothers car has 50k miles and i wish i could buy that car..73k for new guy and space, noise issues? I am back on A8 which i felt was as quiet as my brother lexus plus AWD and gorgeous interior etc..

Well, there are plenty of 04-06 LSes out there with low miles you can buy if you like that version better. The A8 is gorgeous, no argument, and I guess the interior is awesome, though to me, they don't look any better than the LExus. However, remember, they are a Volkswagen, and therefore, have maintenance issues along the way.
  • feather2feather2 Member Posts: 9
    Yes a good point and I would have to say the most important..In fact we have an RX330 and its been free of issues.
    That's why I bought my 05. My 02 had been very dependable. Only a squeaking magic steering wheel issue, and the car was otherwise flawless.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    I can`t figure out how to post it, where it is supposed to be...If you post yours I`l send you an e mail then you can get mine from the message Tony ps don`t post it in one of these messages as it then can be picked up by the `bad guys`
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi feather2 - why don't you meet Tony over in the A8 discussion and ask those questions there? That way other A8 owners will benefit as well.

If you want to exchange email addresses, the way to do that is go into your profile (link on the left) and set your address to be public. That will allow only logged-in CarSpace members to see it.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    Is the Nav screen on the 460 any different from the recent 430's? I recently got an ES350 loaner with Nav (fancy loaner; from the new Lexus Newport Beach, CA) and it seemed to me the screen was sharper, had more detail, I assumed more pixels. Has anybody with a 460 noticed that?
  • tricky73tricky73 Member Posts: 132
    The 460 screen has a MUCH higher resolution than previously, and now is tied to the hard drive rather than a DVD...not sure what they do if one does not have Levinson
    Thanks, Tricky, that is good news.
  • arizonamikearizonamike Member Posts: 4
    I had no problem getting my 2001 LS 430 or 2003 Merc SL 55 to operate my garage door and driveway gate. Despite following the manual directions to the letter and using the services of my hi tech adult kids to assist me, I cannot make the LS 460 remote buttons activate the door or gate. I have Levison and Nav as well as touring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Had the car 3 months and am getting tired of going in and out to open/close doors and gate. Thx, Mike
    Mike

Try clearing all previous codes first; i.e. hold 2 outer buttons simultaneously until the light starts blinking and then start all over. Even with this, I had to try the button after programming a few times until the garage receiver finally "caught on" and opened the door. Is this a new phenomenon related to acquisition of the 460...i.e. did everything work before, which would indicate there is nothing wrong with the training button on the receiver. I also assume your hand-held remote will accomplish the opening ok? A test of this should be when you try entering the code the first time it requires aiming the hand-held remote at the Lexus receiver while holding the Lexus button...a bit disconcerting but it demonstrates there is nothing wrong downstream of the automobile when the door closes because you activated the hand-held remote
  • sidgriggssidgriggs Member Posts: 122
    There is a problem with the LS460 regarding the placement of the antenna for the garage door opener--see your dealer for the fix.
  • gary44gary44 Member Posts: 4
    I ordered the LS 460 on November 18, 2006. It was a special order (i.e. not a standard package). The dealer indicated three to four month delivery time (February/March time frame). I called the dealer and they stated that it has not yet been shipped. They are going to check this Thursday to see if the car is in the next "allocation". It looks like this order is going to push the 5 month mark. Is this typical for a special order vehicle? At this point my wife and I are considering walking away from the deal and ordering a 2008 later this year that hopefully could be delivered in the October December time. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
    My question is whether ANYONE has received a special (equipment-mix) ordered vehicle yet; it seems to me Lexus is building/shipping whatever the market will support without regard to special wants or needs. My sister-in-law ordered a SWB car in October from Fl that was delivered in January although there was no drastic equipment differences; just the color combination (silver/gray) which seems to be a popular combination anyway. In So CA every LWB I have seen is equipped with Lexus Link and Park-o-Matic (ugh!). I still show scars on my rear fender skirt while practicing on a deserted street; the damned thing did not see a high curb during the approach. Judging distance from the curb remains a mystery to me.
  • anthonypanthonyp Member Posts: 1,860
    When I orderd a 430 five years ago, it took three months, and I don`t believe it actually was built for me, but was built the way I wanted it, sort of pre planned by Lexus...When I started to complain, they found it prettty quickly...Good luck with yours Tony
  • knowspinzoneknowspinzone Member Posts: 91
    Gary, please keep us posted because I am very interested in hearing about your experience. I just ordered mine two weeks ago because I wanted a specific color combo and specific options, including the Pre-Collision and Dynamic Cruise Control (which appears to be non-existent in cars sent to the Northeast). The dealer told me 3-4 months which puts it in the June/July time frame.

I was thinking myself if I should just wait a little longer and order a 2008. I'm not sure when Lexus will cut off the orders for 2007 models and start taking orders for the 2008's. I was also interested in the Infiniti M45 Sport but was told that Infiniti isn't taking any more orders for 2007 models (although 2 dealers told me this, a third said they could order it).

I'm guessing there will be neglibile differences in the 2008 model, but maybe they will have fixed any wind noise problems by then! :D
    Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I will keep you posted on the saga. As soon as I get a definitive delivery date I will let you know. Hopefully it's not May.

Does anybody have know when they will start taking 2008 orders?
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    Gary - what area are you from and are we talking a big Lexus dealership or a small one here?
    I am from the DC Metro area. I would classify this as a large dealership (for this area).
  • dan67dan67 Member Posts: 51
    Finally received a formal responce from Lexus asking about the "bigger brakes". They sent me the following:
    "In reference to your brakes inquiry, Lexus only offers bigger brakes on the Touring package." End of story I guess.
    Which implies that the brakes tested were the normal ones as they did not have a touring package car.

BTW - I never got an answer and actually forgot about it.
    Ljflx, you continue correct. So if the "normal brakes" got such great test result (and a lousy one too) I wonder what benefit there is in the "bigger brakes"? All too confusing. I don't see too many LS 460's on the road but today on the way to work I saw one which had been in a bad accident. Front all smashed to bits and rear too. Sad end to a great car and ruined that owners day for sure. :cry: Whatever, I'm waiting for the 2008 and the Touring Option.
  • ms09ms09 Member Posts: 112
    can any1 tell me how good is the LS460 is it better than the mercedes s class and the 7series????hope some1 can tell me in details thank you.
    They are all great cars. It's a function of what you want, and how much you want to pay. Right now the 7 has phenomenal lease deals if lease pricing is a desire.
    When it rains it pours and you get two response at the same time - Dan's and mine. Lexus finally answered me on the brakes. They are tied into the 19" wheels and both that and the larger brakes are only available on the touring package. I also asked about wait times on special orders and they replied on that too. Post this reply I called my dealer who in turn said he thought my car would be ready on May 1 which, if that occurs would be 90 days.

Here's my original e-mail questions.

I have custom orderred the Lexus LS460L with the adaptive variable air suspension and VGRS. I have also orderred the car with the pre-collision and luxury packages. I have three questions:

1. Are the brakes on the LS460L equipped with air suspension the standard 13.4" front and 12.4" rear brakes or are they the larger 14.1 front, 13.3 rear brakes that are part of the touring package? Remember I did not order the Touring package, just the air suspension.

2. Can the LS460L be orderred with 19" wheels as an option?

3. What is the normal delivery time for a car that is custom orderred. I was told 90-120 days but just want to confirm as I may need to bridge the end of my current LS430 lease and the delivery of the LS460L I orderred?

Thanks in advance

Here's their response:

Thank you for contacting Lexus Customer Satisfaction. We are dedicated to providing superior service. In circumstances that require our attention, we will assist in the resolution process.

We apologize for the delay in response to your email. We pride ourselves on providing outstanding customer service and as reflected with our tardy email response, we certainly did not meet the standards that we strive to uphold. We are taking measures to correct this and I hope that your future interactions with Lexus will reflect the high standards we try to maintain.

One can only receive bigger brakes if they ordered the LS 460L with the Touring package. If you ordered the vehicle without that package, than the vehicle comes equipped with the standard brakes. One can only receive 19-inch wheels if you ordered the vehicle with the Touring package; you cannot purchase 19-in wheels as an individual option.

In regards to the delivery time, I would recommend you to contact your sales representative about the delivery status, but the normal delivery time for a preference order is 3 to 4 months.

If you require further assistance, please respond to this e-mail, or contact Lexus Customer Satisfaction at 1-800-255-3987, Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., or Saturday, 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Pacific T
    ime

As you can see I was very specific in my question about having orderred the air suspension and wondering if the larger brakes were a default to that or only to the touring package. Clearly it's the latter so we can now confirm the car stopped at 113 feet with the standard brakes. Maybe the slower braking distances in some reviews were all the result of one or more pre-production cars. I certainly had no issue whatsoever with the brakes on the LS460 or LS460L's I drove and I've driven 3 of them. The person I know that has the touring car says the brakes on that car are fabulous and the best he's ever had on a car.

It was also good to see the confirmation on special orders or in Lexus lingo "Preference Orders". It's actually nice to know there's a special name for those orders. For some reason I just have a hunch special orders are harder to come by on the LS460 as opposed to the 460L. It's just my gut and nothing more.

Cyclone - I'll e-mail them about trunk size on the LS600HL. Why don't you do the same.

Gary - I'd e-mail them and complain about the wait time. Good luck.
  • cyclone4cyclone4 Member Posts: 2,302
    Len,

I went to the LS chat room through the Lexus website a few weeks ago and I asked them the question about the trunk size on the LS600HL. He gave me the impression that the trunk would indeed be larger without the rear seat upgrade. However, he did not know how much larger. I think it is a good idea to now email them and ask the same question since we are closer to production.

Thanks for sharing the interesting response from Lexus.
    I responded to that e-mail with the question about trunk size as well as when the car will be available. I'll let you know if they respond.

At least we've laid to rest the braking nonsense.

BTW - do you have a link to that chat room. I couldn't find it.
    Len,

Here is the link to the chat room. It is located on the bottom right of the LS page.

http://www.lexus.com/models/LS/
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    Ft. Lauderdale car show had 4 LS460's to play with.. including a 460L plus the hybrid on display

I saw/sat in a verdigray 460 with a beige interior -- what a sweet looking car!! The interior surfaces feel like pure silk. The seats are SOOOO comfortable... WOW.

I can only imagine what 80 more horses do to the car.

It's going to be VERY hard to switch to another brand/model when my LS430 lease runs out this December.

Hopefully the hoopla has died down by then and the car leases for a decent price.
    If they had the hybrid on display I can think of a few people on the LS600HL board that'll pay you money to look at the interopr of the trunk.

Yes the car is fabulous and suddenly I'm seeing them all over the place. Mine is supposed to be here by May 1. It better be.
    What!! As ljflx pointed out, there are some of us that want/need to know the trunk size of the LS600HL. I imagine that the one they are showing there is equipped with the rear seat upgrade (cool box, ottoman seat, etc.) and the trunk is quite small. But please let us know if you can all the details about the LS600HL.

BTW Len, take a look at the LS600HL forum. Can you believe the comments of rwe from yesterday?
  • gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    is not in my future so I just glanced at the car.. it was up on a pedestal (silver/black combo) with the doors open -- look-no-touch. There were several reps roaming around and I'm sure they would've opened the trunk If I had asked. Sorry!

I did spend lots of time playing with the other LS's they had available.

There's gotta be some South Fla. folks out there who asked to poke around in the hybrid.

Anyone?
    Entitled "To Woo The Wealthy, Lexus Attempts an Image Makeover". Site is at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117467965888947145.html
    but can any1 tell me if they driven,the LS460L and the s

class and 7 series, which is the better car, i think i like

the LS a lot better then the others, whenever i see this

car my head turns around automatically kind of funny but its

the truth,i think its a lot more beautiful then the S

class and the 7ser...i think the s and the 7 is a chauffeur

car but not the LS.it just looks tooooo good,like a

luxury as well as a sport,AND THE WORLDS FIRST 8 SPEED

CAR. :)
    Read through the messages here and the other LS 460 discussions. You'll find what you're looking for.
    Agree with Pat. There's been plenty of discussion. I don't consider any of the lux cars chaffeur cars until you get to RR, Maybach and Bentley.

You need to buy what you want the most and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    Thanks for the advice, i think ur rite, that u dnt need to worry what most people think cause they are not paying for ur car,ur buying urself , i agree with u
    Any interest for a new thread having an emphasis on owner's actual experiences to date?

Mine has spent the past few days in the Lexus hospital. Might be interesting to encourage others to report ownership events rather than to continue swapping stories about magazine reviews (i.e. hype?), ordering difficulties, hybrid trunk space, etc.
    Hi tricky73, I for one would be very interested in reading people's actual experiences with the 460 - both good and bad. Why don't you just start such a thread?
    There are plenty of opinions here, true. But I'm going to add mine for ya.

The Lexus is better than the Mercedes S and BMW 7 in some areas, but the S in particular, still has it over the LS in some. The 7 is now getting older, and probably only has an edge over the LS in the "Driving Experience" thingy. You know, the interactive driving experience through the autobahn.

The LS excells hands down in reliability, longevity and comfort. It is also the quietest and easiest to drive and understand the functions within.

The S-Class drives better, but doesn't ride better. The S is roomier, and a little larger and it feels that way. It's also faster, or at least feels that way, and corners way better, like a much smaller car. It's also scary fast in the 550 version.

The 7 Series, well, it's smallish, crampt for a big guy actually, drives nicely, gives you lots of road feel, and is really, a driver's car. Everything else is kind of sub par now, with the new S and LS out there.

Anyway, that's how I see it. And I've driven them all.
    Thanks for the speedy reply; I checked this link and still do not see much input from actual OWNERS. My comments, having more detail, will soon be posted to this site. I am trying to interest people who actually own this vehicle to post feedback on some website.

An example is the package included on every 460-L I have seen called Parking Assist or some such thing. This option borders on fraud by Lexus as it applies to actual owners. It has to be the dumbest idea any car manufacturer has had since the Edsel; it only lacks a signature from Rube Goldberg. I have marred my car trying to use it, and subsequent promises by sales personnel are not very helpful either. They couldn't get it to work very often; parting advice was "just don't use it." I am also having electrical problems which seem to baffle my service department and I need feedback from others who may be more objective than the pablum servers I deal with.
    Post your query there - we can get folks to respond if we ask them to! :)
    Thanks....Done!!
    See today's postings
    Well thanks for a great article,i see u drove all there cars, what car do u own for ur self? if u don't own any of the above if u wanted to which will u choose
    I have an 05 LS430. I prefer the Benz S550, but don't like the cost of ownership, nor the premium required to buy one. For the Money, the LS430 is better.
  • ideleidele Member Posts: 200
    Newsquote:

NEW YORK (Kyodo) Toyota Motor Corp.'s Lexus LS460 flagship sedan, which debuted in Japan last September as the high-end model of its Lexus premium brand, was declared the 2007 World Car of the Year on Thursday at the New York International Auto Show, organizers said.

The top three contenders for the third annual award in addition to the Lexus LS460 were the Audi TT and the Mini, they said in a statement.

WCOTY's 44 jurors considered the LS460 to be the embodiment of the Lexus brand's "pursuit of perfection," they said.

"Classically luxurious, with modern execution, unquestioned quality and more than ample power, it also offers a green alternative in the form of the LS600h hybrid variant for those who seek guilt-free indulgence," they said in a statement, referring to another version of the hybrid luxury sedan.

The LS460 model features the world's first eight-speed automatic transmission and a wide range of anticrash technologies, including a system to detect pedestrians and a radar device in the rear bumper to continuously scan the distance from a following vehicle.
    Yeah, yeah...but do they OWN one? The quality statement certainly doesn't agree with my experience to date!
  • chicagoedchicagoed Member Posts: 69
    In view of the fact that the ES350 has had front passenger seat memory for a few years (and still does) I find it inexcusable that this convenience feature is lacking from the new LS models. My salesman said "I guess they forgot it".

Go figure.
    I've been trolling Lexus forums for years, and based upon the raving reviews I have universally read, with the biggest beef I ever noted was that you could not easily dispense with the (Lexus Link system is active) prompt every damn time you started the car, I bought 2 of them. I've been very pleased.

Now, all this hostility - really makes me wonder what's going on over there at Lexus - did they hire Bill Ford or Bob Lutz to screw them up under the table, like they are famous for doing to their own companies?

OTOH, I've been driving an Acura TL for the past week as a loaner car (not from Lexus). Can't tell you how short it comes up in performance compared to any Lexus or for that matter, Toyota I"ve recently driven. It rattles, every little bump comes thumping up through the tires, it's very noisy, and I find it a pretty rough ride. Like a Chevy Mailbu, only the Malibu rides better. Nothing over at Honda for me these days, evidently.

One thing for sure - I'll hang on to my LS430 for a while, and see if things change. Thank you all for your feedback in the forum. Very helpful. :confuse: