Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS random misfire

13»

Comments

• metal56mmetal56m Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Lincoln LS V8. It has 122,000 miles. My engine was misfiring and I have had this problem before (Had two coils replaced at the dealership previously) and had the diagnostics run and it showed cylinder #3 coil. I changed that coil and it helped a little but still had misfires. I went ahead and replaced all the spark plugs. It ran really smooth for a day and after that it started to misfire again, worse than ever. Could this issue be fuel injectors? What else could it be? When I changed the plugs, there wasnt really any oil that I could see...
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Go ahead and replace all the coils. Make sure there is no oil on the rubber boots. If there is replace the boots and fix the leak (usually valve cover gaskets). You may have to replace the spark plugs again.
  • angelica6angelica6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Lincoln LS, V6 with about $120,000 miles on it. Over the holidays, I had the same problem with the engine misfiring and powering down. I read all the messages on this site and one in particular from a mechanic lead me to do the following as he indicated should be done and I have had no problem since November, 2012. All spark plugs, ignition coils, and valve cover gaskets should be replaced. However, the dealership I bought my car and who services it saw the oil on a few spark plugs, coils, and gasket on passenger side and none on the driver side. They recommendeded replacing everything on the passenger side because it is not the parts that cost, it is the labor and the cost to take apart the engine on the passenger side is costly so it pays to just replace all spark plugs, coils, and gasket on that side. They recommended replacing the spark plugs only on the driver side even though there was no visible only, but because spark plugs should be changed at least every 100,000 miles and it is not costly to change the coils and gasket on the driver side because they are right on top of the engine unlike the spark plugs, coils, and gasket on the passenger side wherein the engine needs to be taken apart. It cost me just about $1,200, but it was worth it because I have no problems. Caution: I had a couple of backfires right after they were replaced only because the sensor needed to work out the bugs and get back on track. That lasted for only a couple of days. It has now been almost 4 mos and I have had no problems. If the coils and gasket go on the driver side, it will only cost me $110 each to replace -- for the 3 about $330. I have read others messages wherein people take their Lincoln to an independent mechanic and have incurred lots of dollars, only to have to take it to a dealership that knows about the Lincoln LS problems. Really when you think about it, spark plugs need to be changed every 100,000 miles so the $1,200 it cost me to replace these parts is just really maintenance ... your car is not falling apart ... it is just necessary maintenance for a high performance car.
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I had a miss on my LS V6' replaced the coils and plugs myself on the drivers side, the car ran fine for about a year. It started missing under load, I figured the three coils on the passenger side needed to be replaced, the intake manifold needs to removed to get to those. I ended up trading the car on a new Mustang before I had it done.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
  • redfenderredfender Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 Lincoln Ls with 3.9 I have had misfires one by one the last two years. car has 63,000 miles, car has been flawless. replaced three coils one at a time as code appeared. just started it up on Friday and have four coil codes at once and four distinct misses. cannot run car. Lincoln dealer did replace cop and plug on each code every time with their program. Just today they did two coils at once. leaving one original coil left. drove it home engine lite still on and when i got home barely, as it was misfiring worse than when i went in... I checked codes and it still showed Po503 po506 po507 po508. all the same codes as just before i had it fixed this morning. they replaced 3 and 7 leaving only 6 never replaced yet. No one there can diagnose what is wrong, they are scratching their heads. i have garaged car and am affrid to drive it as it is really missing on at least two or three cyls. car was running perfect last week when i parked it and on Friday last week just when i started it it was misfiring on many cyls. what else could be prob, as cam sensors are new, etc. Dealer ruled out everything. Please Help if you know what to look for that they haven't already. always had the hard 2nd and 3rd gear shift prob also, they reprogrammed the computer for the trans as their is a program for that also and that also didnt work. Help????
  • angelica6angelica6 Member Posts: 3
    While driving my Lincoln2003 with 112,000 miles the engine light and wrench light illuniated on my dash and then my car powered dow to about 20 to 35 mph. I pulled over and turned off my car, then the wrench disappeard and my car was able to accelerate to higher speeds. The Actron read showed the codes P2107 Tac Module Processor, P2110 Tac System Force Limited RPM, PO356 Ignition Coil F Primary/Seconary Circuit Malfunction, and PO303 Cylinder 3 misfired detected. A mechanic replied on Edmonds to help me with my car issues and I followed his directions and I no longer have any issues with my car. His reply was ...
    "The primnary fault is the valve cover gaskets. These DOHC motors have a gasket around the edge of the cylinder head and an innter gasket which seals the center part of the valve cover from allowin goil to leak down to the spark plugs. It is the inner gasket which is the culprit. The stock inner gaskete will fail and allow oil to leak down to the spark plug tops, which causes the coils to discharge voltage not only to the spark plugs but to the cylinder head (through an oil to ground short). Voltage will be lost at the plugs as a result of this short and the check engine light can be intermittently tripped. This situation can also cause the coils to fail (on the diag). Dealers will want to replace the faulty coils and plugs, make quick easy bucks and wait for the whole shebang to fail again due to the real problem of oil pooling at the plug/coil interace due to the valuve cover gasket problem. The real fix here is to do the valve cover gasket job using FELPRO gaskets. The FELPRO kit comes iwth an innter gasket that has multiple sealing ridges to prevent innter gasket failure. The stock inner cover gaskets don't have this feature. So remove air intake plenum, remove valve covers/coils/plugs, replace with new plugs, install new FELPRO gasket set/covers and tighten, check coils OHM reading b/t poles (any that don't match the others replace), install coils, retorque valve covers, install intake."

However, I took my 2003 Lincoln LS to the dealership I bought my car and that services it for maintenance and it is a dealership that sales and services Lincolns. They did their diagnostics and found the issues that I did from the Actron reading. I showed them the mechanic's response from Edmond's and they agreed that the culprit is the damage spark plugs, coils and gaskets for the reason they saw oil leaked on them which shorted the spark plugs causing my car to misfire just like the mechanic from Edmond's site had said. I asked them to replace all coils, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs with oil on them as well as those without oil so I don't have to experience the same problem again and have them tear apart the engine again and charge me costly labor. Because there was no oil on the coils, valve cover gaskets, and spark plugs on the drivers side, only on the passenger side, the dealership suggested changing only those on the passenger side because the engine needs to be torn apart to get to them on this side not the driver's side. But, because spark plugs should be changed every 100,000 miles, some say every 50,000 miles, the dealership suggested the spark plugs on driver's side be replaced also. The dealership advised that, if in the future, the coils and valve cover gaskets get oil on them and become ineffective, they can be replaced for little cost since they are on top and no engine needs to be torn apart on the driver's side. It cost me $1,100 to get the #1, #2, #3 ignition coils and both valve cover gaskets on passenger side replaced and all six spark plugs on the passenger and driver's side replaced. Labor in itself for tearing apart the engine on the passenger side cost me $549.68, the rest was for parts. Afterward, I checked with another ford dealership that serviced Lincolns and the cost was about the same, a little less. It took 2 days to replace them and test my car out and the dealership gave me a free rental. So it was worth it.
    My car runs like a charm now. The only think that occurred a week after the parts were replaced was that my car powered down while driving it to and from work and the engine light would go on here and there. The mechanic at the dealership told me that the car needs to work it out, that the sensors will be off for a little while but then catch up to the new parts and it did. It only last for a couple of days. I the work done on December 7 and I have had no problems since then, about 3,000 miles since then.
    I hope this helps. I have read other's same problems and they tried to save money fixing it themselves or going to car repair shops other than a Lincoln dealership and spent lots of money only to end up going to a Lincoln dealership after the damage was done in their bank account. Just better to go straight to a Lincoln dealership who is aware of the problem with the Lincoln LS. When I came in there with my problem, they immediately knew of these problems with the Lincoln LS. However, I recall that somewhere I had read on Ford website or elsewhere, not sure, that Ford has a recall for the 2004 Lincoln LS on this issue for cars under 75,000 miles. Not sure where I read it or if it was legitimate information. You will want to check it out with Ford.
  • gtm369gtm369 Member Posts: 1
    i have had same problem did you check mass air flow sensor this will cause al to miss fire and stall car easy to get to follow air filter and it will be the first connector they have a cleaner for it or take it to get it checked i baught one from a scrap yard 35 and it is running like a gem again
  • redfenderredfender Member Posts: 2
    I have solved misfire problem!!!! it was the PCM all along!!! as i replaced all the coils the PCM never would clear the codes!!! if you have two or more misses at once the PCM will get a negative short in it and always miss the cylinders that had the coils replaced no mater what, until it is replaced. Ford dealer wanted 2000.00 to replace the PCM found on online for 280.00 with 40. core rebate, already programed for my vin number, i installed it myself and to get the car to the dealer to get the PATS system programed, (Security) i piggy backed it to the harness with the new one in proper location. left old one hang. it took dealer 15 minutes to set it up, and $39.00 best 39.00 i ever spent. ford put in coils under program for free and re inbursed me for the two first ones i did myself. Car never ran better!!! all my hard shift problems cleared up with the re programed PCM i bought. Hope this helps. you can do the PCM on the 04 lincoln yourself cheap!!!
  • jglegacyjglegacy Member Posts: 1
    Hey what kind of hard shifts did you have and where did you get the PCM already programmed??? I ask because i am having this same issue on my 2003 Lincoln LS V8. Any info is appreciated. Thanks
  • ursulapj7ursulapj7 Member Posts: 1
    I'm told I need a Catalytic converter in my 2001 Linc LS V8. The engine is consistently on. The car appears to be running okay, everyone says I take really great care of it. Why is the engine light always on?

I go through this every year, especially when I'm unable to pass Emissions in Georgia.

I've had diagnostics run. Could it be anything else? I feel it is a defect in the vehicle itself. The light is always on, ever since I've purchased the vehicle, USED with 70K miles in 2005.
    When the CEL is on you need to check the codes to see what is being reported. Then you need a competent mechanic to troubleshoot it. The code doesn't tell you what to fix, just the symptom. If it's an O2 sensor being reported then either the Cat is bad and does need to be replaced or the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced.
  • garthmangarthman Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2013
    AKIRBY: I'm a past LLSOC charter member and purchased the V8 cold air intake in 2002 from Brian G when he was running their website. Now, the smog folks are asking for a label or emblem on the intake.

The receipt doesn't show who made it so, I'm looking for the maker or a comparative maker's sticker or emblem to pass the visual. Vehicle has been passing all the tests these past years but now they want to see a lame emblem on the intake.

Any idea ?

Garth Clark (AutumnRed)
    Hey Garth. Brian is long gone having sold his LS years ago, but I'll ask the remaining club members for you just in case they know something.
    From Spotter9 (Al):

there are no approval label or emblem for these intakes.

I have to take mine off every 2 years and put the stock intake/airbox back for the California smog test, because no CRAB Approval Label. The first few years they tested the car with the cold air intake and K&N Filter in place, but stopped doing it 4 years ago. It always past smog with the cold air intake before.

So, if you don't have the stock stuff in California you can't get tested, unless you can find a shop that will look the other way and sign it off. I've been told that there are some around, but I haven't bother to look for one.
    YMMV!
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Garth, The People's Republik of Kahleefornya changed the smog rules 1/12 which made any intake mod illegal. They don't even allow a cone filter prior to the MAF anymore. My LS passed it's last smog with flying colors with the K&N FIPK installed last May. When I went in to have my smog check they told me I can't pass without the CARB number or a completely stock intake. That was a bit "painful" as I threw my stock intake away since I had passed the time before. As the T-Bird has the same engine and K&N is "local" to me I called them up to see what they could do. I Took my car up there and they verified the system fit and the exhaust emissions were the same as the 'Bird so would start the certification process. The LS is now listed with the 'Bird ('03-'06) but it is only 49-state legal; for now.

The bad news is you will need to procure a stock system (eBay, LKQ, etc.) and swap them out for every smog check. Sorry for the bad news.......
    I still have all the stock intake stuff but wanted to avoid the B.S. at smog time as it's completely worthless to go through the steps for nothing gained emission wise.

I'm just trying to find a "sticker" which likely, once applied, will pass the B.S. carb malarkey.

Akirby, thank you...interesting there's no manufacture data on the part or the paper work.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    A sticker came with the K&N intake. When they looked up the number they told me as the sticker was for the T-Bird they couldn't use it.

The LLSOC intakes were never CARB certified so won't have a sticker. Back then we didn't need a certification.
    I found Brian Gowing. He said he left LLSOC in 2003 and moved to MI. He and Debbie work for C&MA Great Lakes District. They serve the technology needs for many churches in that area.
    Interesting why everything the CARB jerks invent it has to affect previously accepted modifications. As you experienced, the only difference in the T Bird intake was that the makers paid to have that unit on the CARB list. The intake is the same so CARB should have to "adapt" rather than duplication of CARB registrations. Those folks think they are in the automotive business and they aren't, not even close. Anyway, all they are certifying are intakes as to function equal to or better than stock. Just because some model isn't on a larceny list at CARB doesn't mean the same part that fits several makes isn't equal. Whatever...their just a group of banditos trying to keep their bands of employment.

For example, we're all pumping E10 fuel and it's no cheaper than MTBE gas however, power and gas mileage suffers compared to straight gas. Is that the goal, worse mileage and less power? For the same price?