Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra SE-R & SE-R Spec V

moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
edited April 2014 in Nissan
SE-R and SE-R Spec V are returning to the Sentra model offerings. Both models will be announced on November 29th at the LA Auto Show.

What are your thoughts?

press release quote-
All-new for 2007, the Nissan Sentra will once again have SE-R high performance models; both SE-R and SE-R Spec V. As a pioneer model in the field of sport compact cars, the 2007 Nissan Sentra SE-R offers more power, performance and technology to this highly acclaimed model. The SE-R Spec V model will be powered by a specifically designed high-output version of Nissan’s 2.5-liter DOHC 4-cylinder engine. Additional information on the SE-R with be announced at the LA Auto Show on November 29th.
-end

Comments

• rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    i think that they should drop the vq in there to blow the srt-4 out of the water and the mazdaspeed 3 :P
  • nismos13nismos13 Member Posts: 6
    I think for Nissan to be back in the hot sport compact market, in which they had with the 90's 240sx's along with the classic b13 Nissan Sentra se-r, they need to either shoehorn that 3.5 liter VQ engine like what the member above said, or import the turbocharged variation of the QR series engine that they have in Japan. I believe its the QR20det which is super torquey and would be easily modified for cheap speed. They should make this generation of the se-r spec v extremely raw and give it standard brembos which was an option on the last generation. Give it a track tuned, race worthy suspension set out to raise the bar in the handling department of all its compeititors such as the Civic Si, VW GTI, Cooper S, and the new Mazdaspeed 3. Have the sunroof optional or just don't even have it as an option of the Spec V model and only on the regular ser model. Last but not least, give it some lightweight wheels with super sticky tires and I think if they can somehow price it below 20 grand, this car should be a homerun. :P
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    07 SE-R & Spec V

Spec V
    200 HP
    17" wheels
    6 speed manual
    limited slip

177 HP for the SE-R
    quote Nissan press release-
    "The last great component of the new 2007 Sentra SE-R is price. We're targeting a price of around $20,000 for the Sentra SE-R Spec V - which means 200 horsepower for $20K - which we believe makes SE-R Spec V one of the best values in the sport compact segment," said Bosley. "This new Sentra SE-R has a lot to offer even the most demanding enthusiasts. It'll be a thrill to drive, right out of the box."
    -end
  • rennie4rennie4 Member Posts: 55
    A fully loaded sentra is already $20k. With all the performance parts and engine i cant see it costing less than 20, maybe 22-23k is our best bet.
    $19,999 is the base MSRP for the Spec V. 200 HP for $20,000 is what Nissan was promoting at the unvieling.
    The pricing is fair.
  • jimithin7000jimithin7000 Member Posts: 2
    I have a B15 Spec V and I think it is better looking and I have heard Nissan Execs saying that the B15 is more fun to drive. I think it looks awful they lost the skyline inspired look
    Which execs. at Nissan said this?
    Yeah, I want to know too, also what quarter mile times do you think this car is going to get? I think it should be capable of getting anywhere from 14.5-14.9 with a good driver since there is substantial amount of torque and a helical limited slip differential for added traction with the Spec V. I know the b15's got around low 15's stock according to Road and Track and Motor Trend. How much more is the B16 going to weigh, do you guys have any clue?
    It would've been pretty sweet if the Spec V came in a track model trim where it comes with extra light weight racing wheels like 16 inchers, no sunroof, no sound-deadening materials to lighten it up, power windows up front only and manual ones on the back to save weight and lower the cost, standard Brembo brakes which I think all the Spec V comes this way, let it weigh in around 2,700 lbs., all for around 18,000. That would be a modern day Type R killer with monster torque.
  • james31278james31278 Member Posts: 78
    I have a 2004 B15 SpecV and I too love mine. Nissan f-ed up bigtime with this new thing. With a CAI and the Catback Exhaust my car will take this new SpecV easily. That's 20 more horses added to the 175 that came with it. They didn't need to tweak the engine just put performance intake and exhaust on it. Heck yeah jimithin the skyline inspired looks are a huge plus. It backs those looks up with great performance.
  • inaudibleinaudible Member Posts: 9
    the title of the article about the se-r today insinuates that it could "smoke" an si...

the 0-60 in the article says 7.1 Seconds... the same as the si

the 1/4 mile says 15.3 seconds at 93.3 mph... si was 15.3 sec at 93 mph

im not an expert, but a .3 mph lead in the 1/4 mile isn't exactly smoking the si...
  • eldainoeldaino Member Posts: 1,618
    agreed. In fact the article seems to praise the si more when it directly compares the 2.
    You are incorrect on 0-60 and 1/4 mile times in your post.

6.7 seconds 0-60 mph is stated for the Spec V not the 7.1 seconds for Si.

the title of the article about the se-r today insinuates that it could "smoke" an si...

the 0-60 in the article says 7.1 Seconds... the same as the si

the 1/4 mile says 15.3 seconds at 93.3 mph... si was 15.3 sec at 93 mph

im not an expert, but a .3 mph lead in the 1/4 mile isn't exactly smoking the si...

And losing is losing..... :)
    losing is losing, but when its by a fraction of a second, it certainly doesn't mean all out bragging rights (unless your into that.)

.4 of a second. Whoopee. And the quarter mile was .1 behind. And it was clocked going faster. its a wash.
    Pissing and moaning is pointless. The SpecV is better nuff said.
    I honestly don't think the Spec V is better outright compared to the SI. As much as I love Nissans, especially the original 91' Se-r, 90 300zx tt, and all the 240sx's, I was expecting a tad bit more for the Spec V. I was hoping that they keep it under 3,000 lbs and tune the suspension more aggressively, kind of like a turn key track-ready setup. I was a bit suprised that the m.s.r.p. was over 22 grand, I thought I read somewhere where they said its going to be under 20. You would think they would shoehorn a detuned version of their awesome vq35de engine for something over 22 grand. Maybe stuff the older Altima engine that was pushing 245 h.p. All in all, compared to the SI, the Spec V has the edge in power, brakes, and styling depending on which one you like more inside and out because those things are subjective. Overall not bad, but not great like the original.
  • inaudibleinaudible Member Posts: 9
    haha, so mentioning an over statement on an article title is pissing & moaning? maybe it's a nissan thing.

by the way, they've edited the article since my post... now the numbers (though still far from "smokin") are more indicitave of a faster time for the sentra. i think they might have mistakenly posted the wrong performance numbers yesterday.
    inaudibleby the way, they've edited the article since my post... :sick:

The times are EXACTLY the same as when they were first posted. They have not been edited.

The PROOF that they were not edited is that I posted the 1/4" mile time from the test in the post BEFORE yours and my posted time is still correct and unchanged while yours is still incorrect.

All I can say is that if people will not be truthful about small things and blame them on others, then .......... well, you can come to your own conclusion.

I'm disappointed with the handling results. I'd rather have the car slower and have it drive well than have the car fastest in a straight line.

The Sentra is a bit too heavy also.
  • seriousekidseriousekid Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1992 SE-R with a SR20DE engine with header,intake and ECU and i bet that i can smoke your QR25 any day. With way less HP. I would love too see a dyno to prove your claim of 20 HP with those mods in a QR25.

1992 SE-R
    1997 SE-R
  • seriousekidseriousekid Member Posts: 2
    You want to explain why the B15 smokes away the 2007? A stock B15 SPEC-V have NEVER been able to post a 15.1 quarter mile time.

EJ
    1992 SE-R (track duty)
    1997 SE-R (smokes B15's daily)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We're going off in the wrong direction here. Let's get back to talking about the cars themselves - we really don't need to get off on a street-racing tangent.
    I wonder if Real Time Racing is going to be using the brand new 2007+ Nissan Sentra Spec V for the upcoming year. I know for 2006 they used the B15 jelly bean Sentra Spec V and did pretty well but definately no first place. If I remember correctly, the Acura TSX and Mazda 6 were at the top.
    I think if Nissan would come out with a two door Sentra like the Azzeal concept and lightened it up quite a bit perhaps make it weigh in around 2700 lbs., gave it a more aggressive looking fascia, and stiffened up the suspension even more, it would sell pretty well with the new hardware.
    You bet wrong, not even on my worst day. Keep dreaming though. On a light note the QR engine is a marvel, it can do pretty much anything.
    maybe it is a nissan thing. I would hardly call what i said 'pissing and moaning.' if your .4 of a second is that precious to you, whatever.

I'd say the same thing if the si got slightly better numbers; a lot has to do with the driver, but it simply is not that big of a difference.
    I'm pretty sure it is a Nissan thing. Although I love Nissan's especially the original sentra ser, and most of the 90's Nissan's as I stated previously, in the case of the B15 Sentra ser Spec V vs current Civic Si, I believe overall the SI is the better car out of the box, performance wise. It's slightly faster in acceleration and quarter mile times according to all the publications, slightly better number's on the skidpad and the overall balance of the car is more geared toward the track where the Spec V will understeer unless properly modified according to Sport Compact Car. The brakes on the Si are better unless you equip the Spec V with the Brembo option along with the ABS. There are a couple things about the B15 Sentra I do like which are: When one were to purchase one brand new last year, you could've got a base model for $15,000 which is wayy....cheaper than what the SI was going for last year, you would've saved at least $5,000. With those savings you can only imagine what you could've done to the Spec V, perhaps full bolt on and suspension work? Also, when equipped with the Brembo brake package and ABS, I was told that it held up very nicely on the track compared to the Si's stock brakes which exactly isn't that great out of the box. Also its tough to beat all that torque up front for daily driving as I once owned a 04' Rsx Type S and it was pretty gutless up until vtec kicked in. Wow this is getting long..... Either way they are both great cars for the money, it all depends on what you're looking for in a car to help decide what is better for you.
    ha! good one! The old b15 was a cool car.

I like the se-r, just don't like the _____is crap kinda comments.

I love se-rs's with the brembos, even peformance aside, they look sick.

V-teck kicking in? Not the case with the newer i-vtecs like in your old rsx. Its just that all the hp is up on the right side of the tach, hence the sluggishness.

Again i love the new ser just for the fact it is available with an auto. But i think i'd still take an si.
    Nice clean objective non provocative post. Nicely done. some favor Honduh because they watch too many street racing videos or something. I prefer Nissan, good quality and they know their the best but don't have to prove it everyday like Honada's trying to race everyone at the stop light. I liked the RSX but when Honda decided to discontinue it I came to the conclusion that they can go do something with themselves. The new Si's is not all that good looking with a bodykit on it, it looks best when left stock on the outside. The RSX had an edge on the Si, it was a little faster and no matter what still looked good. The new SpecV isn't much on looks but it can take the Si out easily. In the end yes its what's best for you on deciding which car. One that has variable valve timing on all the time or the other which advertises it's variable valve timing with decals and that only comes on in the high rpm range. The latter also lacks any real torque. IMO Honda just doesn't have what it takes to be the best. Nissan always has and always will have what it takes.
  • carfanatic007carfanatic007 Member Posts: 267
    Thats a long paragraph that states absolutely nothing! Nissan made in Mexico. Torsion Beam rear axle. LSD is an option. For the money the SI is a MUCH better value than the SER. The K20 engine is an engineering marvel. I own a 2006 SI and I can assure you that it is plenty quick. I don't street race because I don't want to kill myself or anyone else. I can guarantee that SER's will be sitting on the lots because no one will buy them. So if you wait a few months you will probably get a good deal. ;)
    So you couldn't read it. Opinions vary. SE-R > Si
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's get back on topic here. Even thought the Si was mentioned in an article about the SE-R, it's not part of the subject here so let's let it go. Thanks.
  • redbrienredbrien Member Posts: 8
    I was just on nissan's website, and saw that I could build a SE-R. I love the fact you can get a cvt in a sports car. I am a big honda guy. I love the SI other then the fact that it takes Premium gas and you can't get a auto. I commute and my wife won't learn how to drive a stick so I am stuck between a rock and hard place. With the new Sentra SE-R I get the best of both worlds. I love the fact that you can paddle shift just like a F1 or just relax in traffic. I saw that edmunds invoice price is $18,658 for a SE-R. Thats awesome. Hopefully there will be a handful at the dealers so we can just walk in and walk out with this pocket rocket. Any test drive one yet?
    When I take my SpecV in for inspection and all I will get a test drive in the new SpecV.
  • bhirzallbhirzall Member Posts: 1
    Anyone here in the midwest interested in a 2002 Spec V with 40k miles on it and no working engine. New Z rates tires, fair condition. CHEAP, great rebuilding project!!
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I'm loving my 07 SE-R. I'm excited for upcoming performance mods. Anyone to direct me to anything already available? Any idea if the 06 2.5 K&N filter is the same filter on the 07?
    Is it the same filter, it should be since its the same engine as before only with internal tweaks.
  • starkvargas1starkvargas1 Member Posts: 1
    Stillen has modifications available.
  • bearishly4ubearishly4u Member Posts: 38
    I contacted Stillen and was told they are picking up a spec v from a local dealer and they will be working on more stuff asap.
  • nbyenbye Member Posts: 1
    OK, Sentra owners, I need your input!

I am looking at buying the Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V to replace my current car, a 2004 Toyota Celica GT-S. The main reasons I'm getting rid of the Celica are the poor visibility and the lowness to the ground (I discovered that the sports car style doesn't always work for short people). I have a lot of trouble maneuvering it through tight spaces, because I just can't see out of the thing. My question is, how do you guys like the visibility on your Sentras? Are they easy to maneuver through tight spaces? I've taken a couple SE-R Spec Vs on test drives, but I wanted to get the opinions of people who live with these cars, day in and day out. Do you think the Sentra will solve my problems?

Thanks much!
    The Spec V has plenty of visibility. The steering has a wide turn though so tight places can be tricky only if the parking lot is full.
  • laneglaneg Member Posts: 4
    I own a 2007 spec v and really enjoy it. I work for a car dealer, and we have a 2007 spec v factory loaded for sale. Willing to negotiate a price. 5000K miles. If interested in car, my contact inoformation is in my profile.
  • smallcar1smallcar1 Member Posts: 76
    I test drove a Sentra. The visibility was very good except for the fact that I almost got into an accident backing up at an angle b/c the back window is narrow and steeply sloped but this seems to be a design chracteristic of all small cars now.
  • rickaltmanrickaltman Member Posts: 8
    I would like to know general comments pro and con about this vehicle, and in particular, what type of fuel it runs on. I have received conflicting reports alternating between it running fine on regular unleaded and it requiring premium unleaded. Thanks...

Rick A.
    Pleasanton CA
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    I just got my SE-R in blue and am enjoying it. I'm wondering if someone who has driven both this and the Spec-V can compare the ride qualities. The only thing I don't care for in the SE-R is a bit of fore-aft and up-down bucking and bouncing over freeway joints, etc. that make it feel unsettled on certain roads. Wondering if lowering would help that, or if it induces more harshness, which I wouldn't want. I am more interested in preserving a fairly supple but "planted" feel in ride comfort, than increasing handling at the limits. Also wondering if the extra front and rear Spec-V bracing is worth adding and easy to do. Thanks in advance for comments on these or any other recommended mods.
  • laneglaneg Member Posts: 4
    I was a bit disappointed with the Spec V when I first got it, because I thought that the engine was a bit rough. However, this car has gotten a lot better with some miles. I have about 10,000 miles now, and it is noticeably better now that things have settled in.

I put a Magnaflow highflow resonator and catback exhaust, and a K&N cold air intake on the car. This gave a bit more power, but I was still disappointed with the rough engine. I found that JETCHIPS had a performance upgrade for the Spec V ECM so of course I tried it.

It was kind of a pain to have to remove the ECM and mail it to Jet, but it was worth the wait! The Jet Chip turned this into a new car. The engine revs much more quickly and very noticeably smoother now. More power throughout the entire powerband, and a slight increase in mpg if you don't always have your foot in it.
    This is the biggest difference in performance that I have ever experienced in any of the cars that I have modified. Granted, none were turbo or supercharged, but all had intakes and exhaust. I would highly recommend this upgrade, and of course it works better with an intake and exhaust. The chip was only $399 and it was worth every penny!
  • rwestsiderwestside Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help me locate the sunroof glass for my 2003 Nissan Sentra Spec-V? I'm not looking to purchase a new one but one from an individual parting one out or a salvage yard. Any leads are appreciated. email me at reglantz@verizon.net Thanks!
  • spaceman210spaceman210 Member Posts: 50
    I just had my '08 SE-R lowered with the Eibach ProKit, which improved the looks and handling dramatically. Well worth the $500 P&L total paid. The ride is firm but not harsh - no penalty on good roads. Just have to go slower over speed bumps.
    Jeff
  • codeman35codeman35 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 2005 nissan sentra se-r spec v i am wondering what i should do first for mods for my car? someone help me please
This discussion has been closed.