Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GMC Yukon Small Problems and Aggravations

2»

Comments

• rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Before the re-program, my battery/voltage meter has been pretty steady at 15 almost every time when I looked at it. Since the re-program, there has been more movement between 15volts and ~12volts if I have been driving for a while... Nothing lower than 12 has ever been observed in my case.
  • jaccicarpiojaccicarpio Member Posts: 2
    Recently my yukon will make a noise that sounds like a chirping or a plastic bag caught in a fan. It only makes it when the A/C is on and it is very hot outside. It only makes the noise while driving/accelerating. If I let off the gas the noise stops. Also, once the car has been drving a bit it doesn't make it. Any thoughts?
  • tampapitampapi Member Posts: 14
    From what I understand, there should be no flucuation of that meter. If anything is operating property, it should read a steady 15volts. But I guess if you are running a DVD player, GPS and all the toys, it might make a difference.
  • chriswynnchriswynn Member Posts: 1
    How do you turn off the audible beep when using the touch screen on the NAV/Radio in the 2008.
  • caseymariecaseymarie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 07 Yukon Denali. Sometimes (this happens at random)when I get in and start the car to go somewhere the nav/radio system will not come on. The screen will be black...just as if you had the car off. Only it's running. I then have to turn the car off and open the door (if I don't open the door it will not come back on once restarted) Once I shut the door back and start it again, the nav and radio will then come on.

Has anyone had any problems with this or have heard of this happening? I took it to a dealership and he basically told me that he didn't know how to fix it.

PLEASE HELP!!!! :)
  • mcj318mcj318 Member Posts: 3
    I can't help you, but I can say you are not alone. This exact same thing has happened to me in my 07 Denali. I have not had it to the dealer, and it has only happend 2 or 3 times. I have not associated opening and closing the door with "fixing" the problem, but if I recall, taking the keys out of the ignition and putting them back in worked. It's possible I also opened the door, I'll try to me more methodical in my diagnosis the next time it randomly happens.
  • agholdenagholden Member Posts: 5
    Like my mechanic said: "We've all heard about cars being "repossessed." Yours is just "possessed."

Good luck.

Arnie
  • maneusmaneus Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2007 Yukon XL for about 2 years now and I've recently had a ton of issues with my Remote Start and not having any Power to the entire vehicle.

1. When I attempt to use the remote start, there is a loud pop sound coming from inside the hood. When that happens, the lights flicker on and off inside the vehicle and resets the clock in the car. Now I don't want this to sound like it happens all the time but it happens probably once a week.

2. The second problem I'm having now is I will try and unlock my vehicle with my Key FOB and the doors will not unlock. When I manually unlock the vehicle none of the lights work inside and I also will put the key in the ignition and the vehicle will not crank over.

Has anyone had this similar problem and what they did to fix it? Thanks!
  • maneusmaneus Member Posts: 2
    One more thing about my issue. Issue number two will exist for about an hour or two and then the car will act like nothing ever happened but the clock is reset.
  • jawbonecynjawbonecyn Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 Yukon XL with the exact same problems you have mentioned. It all started this summer, 8/08. My sister's 2003 Yukon XL also has the exact same problems you describe. Has anyone been able to come up with a solution? Do you think this has been a recalled item with the Yukon XL.???
  • jaccicarpiojaccicarpio Member Posts: 2
    We have had no luck figuring out what it was. We thought it might be the AC compressor. We put it in the shop and they ran all the tests and they said everything was fine.
    Does yours only do it when the AC is on? My husband wonders if it is the belt tensioner. Good luck. Let me know if you figure it out.
  • johnjhr1700johnjhr1700 Member Posts: 5
    Wondering if anyone has had this problem: 12/22/08 @ 1:25pm I attempted to start my truck using the remote start feature like I do every morning before I go to work, But this time it would not work, I had to go out and start the truck manually WTF, then things gets really good, I have an alarm showing that none of the tire have AIR in them per the Tire Monitor System, so I call ONstar to have them check remotely, they stated everything appears to be working correctly at this time. Now forthe really good stuff: I remotely started the truck this morning to take the kids to their dental appt. and everything work great no problem what so ever with anything on the truck. I'm taking it in on friday 12/26 to have GMC take look at it. The service guy stated it sounds like something very wrong....Shocker, but they good guys and i hope they can fix the issue for no charge. Thx John
  • sffullmoonsffullmoon Member Posts: 7
    John I had a similar problem last winter. I drove from MA to CA to spend the winter there. Half way across country the remote start or unlock would not work until I was standing next to the car. Also, one tire would report low pressure. I put a new battery in the remote but it did not improve. Both problems continued for the 3 months I was there. The tire monitor worked sporadically. I figured when I got home I'd have the dealer look at it.

When I got home both problems disappeared before I saw the dealer and never returned.

I've just chalked it up to the Yukon gremlins that are always messing with me. Windows that decide not to work (until engine restart), battery that drains in 15 minutes, door locks that engage while I'm gassing the car ....

Let me know if your dealer finds the problem.

Tom - Franklin, MA
    Took the truck to my dealership this morning and my man Rob just called to tell me the following, he stated that it appears that the truck just lost its mind, they reprogrammed the computer and everything is working correctly at this time. He also stated that I may want to check into getting the onbroad computer replaces (Like we have $$$$ just hanging around :), He stated that reprogramming would cost $99.00, so I'm going up to get the truck in a minute. Thx John
  • sffullmoonsffullmoon Member Posts: 7
    I love that diagnosis! The car lost its mind!!!! I forgot to tell you the other thing my car does - it forgets the memory position for the seat. 1 out of 3 times it goes to the wrong position. No rhyme or reason. I think I'm going to assume the car just has a mind of its own and just likes to mess with me!

Tom
    Hey, Here is some more information: They reprogrammed the RCDLR per the invoice for $99.00, he also spoke about getting another computer installed just in case this happens again, I'm go to contact GMC about this problem this evening. I will keep you updated. Thx John
  • TBSPRINCESSTBSPRINCESS Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am having a problem with my 2007 Yukon. The remote key pads do not work and my key does not work all the time in the door lock. When it's really cold out, the key won't go in the lock all the way and when it does, the lock slowely rises to unlock the car. I took it to get looked at and the dealer said my keypads are fine, it's something in the computer. I have to take it back to be put on the diagnostic machine. Has anyone experienced this? All other electrical systems seem to be fine.
  • tontoginsburgtontoginsburg Member Posts: 1
    I have an 07 Yukon Denali that once the battery is charged can last for quite some time, but if I turn off the key and try to even listen to the radio for any period of time (as short as 10 minutes) the battery will run dead ... this is very very frustrating and the smart @$$ at the shop I have called wants to charge me an arm and a leg for the inspection. Does anyone remember when the recall / reprogramming came out, also what was the original warranted time period on these vehicles?
  • judicjudic Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Yukon SLT and as I read through the messages, I think we have experienced all of the electrical issues mentioned: a/c clicking sound, Driver1 settings don't stay in place, radio continues playing even after a car door is opened, remote key won't unlock doors, even though the remote battery is good, and today the latest: console lights come on later & later after starting the car, until of course, this evening when the console lights never came on at all (affects radio, temp, speedometer, etc) I'm assuming that electrical problems are a known issue on GMC Yukons, based on what I've read, but what is the fix? The computer? Was there a recall we've overlooked? Now I see why the previous owner sold the car...
  • esaculesacul Member Posts: 11
    I have an 07 YUKON Denali too. I have the same problem. If the door is open for few minutes or if the radio is on few minutes etc, the engine will not start with out a jump start. According to tests performed at AutoZone, my battery is a good battery and does not need a new battery. So I am looking for a solution to my problem Did you ever find a solution? If yes, please let me know. Thanks
  • hotrodedmondshotrodedmonds Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I have a 2005 GMC Yukon XL. When we turn the ignition off and remove the key, all of the accessories continue running as if the key was still on; the radio, windows, sunroof, etc. Only the A/C stops running. The dash even has the gear indicator lit up. Even after we open the door and get out, it continues running. I have removed the battery and reinstalled it, but the problem continues. Needless to say, the battery does not last more than 20-30 minutes and then needs to be jump started. We cannot really take it any where unless we have a portable jump starter with us. Any ideas?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello hotrodedmonds,
    Have you had anyone look at your vehicle to diagnose the concern? I apologize that your vehicle has a concern. How long has the issue been present? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
    Yes only when the AC is on, have you figured yours out yet? Thanks
    edited September 2010
    I have a 2002 Yukon XL, sometimes when I turn the AC on there is a loud rattle that come from the engine area, it doesn't do it when the engine is at idle, it seems to do it under a load? Thanks
    Any luck on the AC noise from the engine compartment? I still have the same problem. Thanks
  • bb_22bb_22 Member Posts: 1
    Had similar weird electrical problems with my 1996 GMC, after about 5 years. Replacing the battery cable (which had corroded) fixed all the gremlins. Depending on how the battery cable vibrated and sat, it would sporadically work.
  • baseballlvr3baseballlvr3 Member Posts: 4
    imy yukon was serviced [winterized] and they checked fluids, belts, battery... and when i got it back my keyless remotes both, will not work unless i use the key to manually unlock door and that only works for about 1 minute after i exit the yukon, then later i try to get into the vehicle i have to do the same process all over, what can i do to get both keyless remotes reprogramed ????????? HELP :mad:
    the dealership [darcy gmc] says it my problem !!!!!
    hi there did you ever get your keyless remotes working in your yukon, im having the same problem too, dont know what to do ???? :confuse:
    baseballlvr3,
    Have you spoke with the dealer? I apologize for your experience.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
    Hi Christina , yes I did speak to the dealership and the service rep said I was on my own , first he said that it was a coincidence that it happened after being serviced , and if I want it fixed I need to pay for it, then I called and left a phone message at d'arcy Buick gmc and left a message with a GM (mike) and he never called me back , so Now IM PISSED !!! I need help please.
  • yukongrrryukongrrr Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same remote problem or very similar problem with my 2007 YukonXL. My remotes will work for about a min after I get out of the vehicle, then neither one will work. Also, my key will not work in the door very well, either. Has anyone figured out the issues or been able to get these problems resolved?
  • doctas1doctas1 Member Posts: 1
    Long story short, my 2010 Yukon just stopped working (no electrical at all) out of the blue. I had drove it and got out to press the door lock keyless button and no reaction. When I got back into the vehicle there was no electrical at all. The dealer said it was the batter fuse (located between the positive cable and battery post - never knew batteries had a fuse). However, they have not determined what caused the fuse to blow. The only thing I can think of is that I have been using my AC adapter to charge my cell phone lately and have charge it a few times with the car turned off when I run errands. Maybe this caused the battery fuse to blow? Any clues or similar issues?
  • jibanezjibanez Member Posts: 2
    Bought a basic yukon brand new in april 2006. Like everyone else had problems with car dying out and changed battery. Then one day my remotes to open doors stopped working. Then dash shut down and all meters do not read anything.

I took it to the dealership and I am going to get a bum deal because warranty is expired (but they cant even figure out my mileage!!!). Any how, the I told the service rep my problems and he says "I've never seen this problem before!!!" automatically I think the opposite, then I research and find this discussion and everyone is having the same problems also and I laugh.

After holding my car overnite, the next day I get a call from the dealership and the rep asks me if I opened the dash and tampered with it???? I say y the hell would I do that? Then the rep asks me if I jump started someone else's car and did it wrong...I told him I have helped others jump their car, but I am pretty sure I know how to jump a car. OH and that the diagnostic report indicates "30 codes" or that 30 things are wrong!!!!

So then I also researched for recalls and my VIN number indicates none (although all the yukon/gmc recalls seem to sound like the problem I am having which is prompting me to find out how to initiate recalls). So in researching recalls, I find a GM number I call it. The GM rep seems very helpful and informs me that he will call the dealership service department. He returns my call and leaves a message that the dealership has still not determined what is wrong and he will get back to me on monday.
    That was 2 days ago, and since then the dealership has not called me on an update on the status of my car. My car has been at the dealership for 4 days now....am I going to pay for 4 days days of labor???

My complaints are that:
    1) these problems ([non-permissible content removed] computer system, dash, remotes) really seem to be malfunctions and not my fault as it is a prevalent problem.
    2) dealership thinks I'm dumb and gave himself away with stupid [non-permissible content removed] comment and I plan to print these posting out for him, but im sure hes already heard it already....liar.
    3) This is a family car....I live in Hawaii where I pay extra for the car to get shipped here, I pay more for the cost of living, with that said, I expect my moneys worth but now I am going to probably end up paying more for a piece of CRAP....I do not ever plan on buying GMC ever ever again....id rather have a KIA lol.....if GM were to fix this and take accountability for their workmanship...I might actually think about it and have a little faith in....nevermind.

Lastly I am glad there is a forum like this, so I can find a site where ppl are happy with their car....then I'll know where to shop.
  • jibanezjibanez Member Posts: 2
    OHHH as if I did not complain enuff, I have had problems with tire pressure indicator in the past when the dash did work....but the thingy that holds my spare tire does not work either. I took it to the dealership twice to fix in which they said they would fix....but in my last attempt to use my spare, they only put the spare on upside down so it would stay up and its still broken and now I have to pay to get it fixed because warranty expired...I wouldnt have this problem if they fixed it right the first two times!!!
  • bear9704bear9704 Member Posts: 1
    So I recently purchased this truck and the guy told me about a problem - When your blinker is on and you press the brake peddle, the blinker stops. But as soon as you release the brake, it turns back on. I thought this was a small price to pay for the price I got on it.

The problem is, I keep finding more problems. Some that I have found:

The blinkers dont blink if the lights are on.
    The cruise control doesnt work if the lights are on, but do when they are off.
    When the lights are on, the tail lights light up like you are using the brakes.
    If the lights are off and you step on the brake, the dash light lights up.

Some one told me that there is a chip board behind the tail lights that is causing the problem, but I was hoping to get a little more info on it before I dig into it myself or bring it to a shop...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
  • myagenttonymyagenttony Member Posts: 1
    My best friend had a problem for quite a while. The battery would discharge and would end up needing a jump. The battery was changed and the problem happened again after 5-6 months. My friend decided to call GM to complaint and they told him to take it to the dealer but most people posting this similar problem didn't have luck.. I finally found the problem.. simple fix.. Cali tech at your service..
  • psjames689psjames689 Member Posts: 1
    Having same problems with our 2007 Yukon XL plus others. Please advise as to what cali tech is or how we can find the simple fix.
    Thank you!
    psjames689,
    I apologize for your frustrations. Have you spoke with your dealer? Can you send me your VIN? I look forward to your response.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • yukondavidyukondavid Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2007 Yukon Denali. I am having the same problem with my remotes. What did you ever find out about your problem with the remotes?
  • gmcustsvcsarahgmcustsvcsarah Member Posts: 1,964
    Good morning,

I looked into the manual to see if there was any information on the remote keyless entry system. There is a section on what to do when you notice reduced operation:
    "At times you may notice a decrease in operating
    range. This is normal for any remote keyless entry
    system. If the transmitter does not work or if you
    have to stand closer to your vehicle for the
    transmitter to work, try this:
    • Check the distance. You may be too far from
    your vehicle. You may need to stand closer
    during rainy or snowy weather.
    • Check the location. Other vehicles or objects
    may be blocking the signal. Take a few steps
    to the left or right, hold the transmitter
    higher, and try again.
    • Check to determine if battery replacement is
    necessary" (p.115).

Hope this is helpful for you!
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • sjmitchell2005sjmitchell2005 Member Posts: 1
    Ok guys, so my Yukon decides every once in a while to go "wacky" on me. The rear windshield wiper chooses when it likes to work. Sometimes it will turn on if I put on the rear defroster first, even if there is no frost. A couple of times when I have shut off the Kon and the rear wiper is turned on, working or not, it will cause my lights, control panel, and radio to rapidly flash on and off and you can hear a ticking noise. This I have dealt with lol, because there are far worse things that could be wrong. Well, now today, I shut the Kon off, handed my son the keys, and after opening his door the lights and radio were still going! No key in ignition, even put my husband's set in and turned Kon on and off and the problem continued. I then noticed that the knob for the rear wiper was on, so I turned it off, and everything else shut off...turn wiper back on, everything comes back on except wiper lol....Does anyone have any ideas? Not really in a position to take to dealer, so any ideas would be awesome so we could take care of ourselves...
  • sherishasherisha Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have the same truck, same year. I am having the exact problem, down to the fact that my rear windshield wiper stopped working and is probably still switched in the on position. My mechanic cannot figure out the problem and how to fix it, he still has it and it has been there a week or so. Did you ever figure out what was causing your issue? Any information would be appreciated!
    Hi , my problem started when I had my Yukon battery replaced, the dealer replaced it and that's when it all started. I later took it back and said wth and told them to fix it, they said it was my problem, so I called the owner of the dealership (Darcy GMC in Joliet Illinois )
    And explained and they ended up fixing it, not sure what they did but it finally got fixed, not until I complained . But it's.been fine ever since, sorry to hear about yours, hope you get yours resolved soon, it's aggravating isn't it.
  • bonreabonrea Member Posts: 48
    2005 Yukon XL SLT, 5.3lt 88,700 miles. The auto headlight feature seems very insensitive. When I start out in the morning and the sun comes up the head lights stay on even when the sun has been shining directly on the sensor for 15 – 20 minutes. If I start out in the middle of the day it doesn’t turn the lights on which it should not do. Later in the evening it turns the lights on properly.
    Any ideas?
  • ldrobertsldroberts Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Yukon XL SLT that I purchased used in 2007. I have been having electrical problems with it for the past 3 years and have probably spent more than $3000 now trying to figure it out. Completely at my wit's end. To summarize:
    1. When I turn the car on a loud clicking sound comes from the CD player that lasts for 30 seconds. Nothing stuck in it. Have learned to live with this after 3 years. Irritating, but at least the car is turning on, which leads to the next issue...
    2. Without any notice car just simply won't turn on. No clicking, nothing. Silent. I have to open hood, jiggle battery cable, and usually it will fix. But not always. I have had a new alternator, new battery cables, new starter and new batteries installed. The latest attempt was installing a gmc battery bc "the posts on the non-gmc battery were not exactly the same size as the clamps on the cable and it wasn't getting good connection". Well, yesterday I pulled into the driveway, ran in the house, came out and again, car won't unlock with key fob and when I turn ignition, nothing. I opened hood, pushed around on cable and it started. Has now done it twice today.
    3. When it does run, I will be driving and suddenly everything electrical on car turns off. Radio, cruise control, lights, ac, you name it. Few seconds later, it all comes back on. Periodically the lights flicker on dash and headlights. Serious safety issue at night.

I seriously don't know what else to do. I have 3 small children and can't afford to be stranded with them anymore. If anyone has had any luck fixing these types of issues please tell me what to do.
  • joemickshieldsjoemickshields Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard a fan type noise coming from the drivers door. Turn off the radio and the AC. Noise is still there. Only turning off the ignition gets rid of it. This started today. JMS
  • fyrwarriorfyrwarrior Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem with my 2000 gmc yukon xl ordered new key fob from dealer they can not get my truck to go into program mode even after trying 2 computers i tried the manual way with holding the unlock button down then cycling the key on off on off that doesnt work dealer told me they cant do anything for me