Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Engine Problems

Comments

• pingpingpingpingpingping Member Posts: 16
    Geologist,

What state, country are you in? You should try a lemon law attorney. I looked it up on the internet. There are lemon law attorneys in most states in the US. You should try there. Honda will not do anything regarding us loosing our hard earned money. My case was just accepted (2-29-2008) by an attorney here in California. I will post the disposition of my case when it has been decided.
  • geologistgeologist Member Posts: 4
    we live in Jacksonville, Florida

we're meeting with the district representative today (again). Very frustrating and disappoiting that they claim not to hear the noise.

How long will it take for your case to reach a settlement?

Out of curiosity, what does your attorney predict for an outcome? Does Honda replace the vehicle, etc?

good luck!
    I am not sure how long it will take to reach a settlement. My attorney is seeking a repurchase of my van. This means Honda will buy back my vehicle for the full purchase price less any damages.

When you say you are meeting with the district representative, do you mean Honda's rep? Because they are only in it to confuse and or convince you that there is nothing wrong with a new vehicle sounding like it is headed for BIG TROUBLE. The sound is indeed indicative of of bigger trouble on the horizon but they would have you believe it is not. I hope you will keep pressing this issue. Even if I am not successful, at least I will know that my case has been documented. I will keep you posted.
    Geoliogist,

You do have lemon law rights in Florida. I assume you are computer savy since you are on this site. Yahoo search - lemon law florida or call this one 1-800-875-3666 ( I spoke to the receptionist and they are interested in hearing from you). I believe they can assist you with building your case. I was directed to take the van in for repair a minimum of 4 times before they would accept my case. I even had to turn to a second attorney after the first seemed disinterested (stopped returning my calls). I hope others will also contact a lemon law attorney. Please do not give up. We deserve the vehicle promised to us by Honda. Please keep posting as we are not the only ones suffering through this.
  • jctechsanjctechsan Member Posts: 1
    Our 2001 Honda Odyssey began having a similar problem today. The engine began (speeding, revving, racing) up and down, not just at idle, but also when put in drive, or in reverse. The racing engine would cause the vehicle to surge forward (not too safe).

I kept searching and found a solution for the problem (happy about that). I discovered another site, and one of the things it said was, "Make sure there are no vacuum leaks. You will hear an abnormal hissing sound when engine is idling."

I put the hood up and listened to the engine while it revved up and down... I heard the hissing noise. I found that at the back/center of the engine, a large vacuum hose that comes from what looks like a brake booster, the cylinder about 5 inches in diameter and mounted to the upper right area of the firewall. This vacuum hose at the point where it mounted to the back of the engine was very loose... not the hose itself, but the surrounding mettle housing that mounted the hose to the back of the engine. I could feel a screw (10 mm) that was loose, so I grabbed my socket wrench, put the 10mm socket on and tightened the thing up. I started the van back up and it sounded perfect and the hissing noise was gone. No more up and down engine speed at idle.

In case this didn't help with your problem... here is the link that lead me to my conclusion:
    http://en.allexperts.com/q/Honda-Repair-814/2008/2/1991-Honda-Accord-Air.htm

Jason
  • mnodysseymnodyssey Member Posts: 9
    Please help, if anyone knows how to deal with these issues let me know.

Our Odyssey currently has 7,200 miles on it. The power steering pump was replaced at 5,000. The same issue is happening with noise after the car has had a chance to warm up. Another steering pump is probably needed. The main issue that the dealer has not been able to diagnose is the harsh downshifts at approxiamtely 40 mph and 15-20 mph. I am assuming this is from 3rd to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. During these shifts, the rpm would jump up approximately 300-400 rpm. It happens about 85% of the time and the jump in rpm varies. Any ideas? Also, at 50 mph there is vibration and feels like the car is having issues picking gears. I was told by the dealer it is the overdrive point???? Any help would be appreciated.

Also, just drove our 2004 mazda mpv this evening and that car drives like a charm compared to the odyssey that cost us 3 times as much.
  • carguy74carguy74 Member Posts: 18
    just a little info on earlier odysseys with engine revving up and down.. sometimes when u are low on coolant, it will do this,, but the main reason this happens is because on the pass. side back of engine, there is a power steering pressure sensor in the p/s line. this sensor wire will either break or get corroded and lose connection. what this sensor does is it revs the engine up if you are turning to help with the power steering when turning. turning creates pressure in the p/s system and this sensor picks this pressure up and tells the computer to raise the rpm a little. i've seen this on may odysseys....i've seen the wire to the sensor break completely off....
  • dang_tridang_tri Member Posts: 6
    My 2004 Honda Odyssey has the same problem as yours. My vehicle only has 26K, Engine ocassionally rev up between 800 and 1100 rpm in parked postion and
    constantly race between 750 and 1000 rpm in drive gear when stopped at traffic light. I dont know what happen, I already made appoint with dealer on Apr 5, 08. Is this problem under warranty considering the van has only 26K miles?
    I took my van to dealer and nothing was found. When the van was at dealer, the engine was quiet and no reving up or down happened. Dealer didn't charge because no problem was found. Next day I drove my van it happened again. The engine revs up and down between 750 and 1000 rpm when stopped at red light. It is very annoying. Then I took my van to another mechanic, they hooked up diagnostic tool and find nothing. When I left the mechanics it started reving up and down again. I am very frustated. Does anone have the same problem? if yes, please advise what I should do to correct this problem.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    To have dealer repairman to see this problem you mentioned, you got to leave the car to the dealer 1 to 2 days and let the mechanic to drive home & to work roundtrip. This way the mechanic can see it for himself then to figure out the repair.
  • huston1huston1 Member Posts: 1
    Have an '03 odyssey w/77,000 mi. Had power steering connection replace 3mo. ago that fixed the idle revs. However, it revs slightly while driving at 30-50mph. Any ideas?
    I have my Idle Air Control Valve replaced on my 04 Odyssey and it didn't fix the problem. It still revs up and down in drive gear (not at Park or Neutral) between 700 and 1000 rpm when stopped at traffic light. The amazing thing is that it doesn't happen all the times. My coolant level is right. I checked my Power Steering Switch wire, it is fine. I don't know what to do now. It drives fine at high speed.
    I need help desperately. I am thinking trading it in for Toyota Sienna. Can anyone give me a good tip how fix this problem?
  • hackattack5hackattack5 Member Posts: 315
    I took my 06 oddy in for the same reason. They told me that some of the 06s had dirty power steering lines which messed up the power steering fluid which ruined the power steering pump. They replaced the pump and flushed the lines and it has been working great since. no noise
    we still hear the noise..... we're due for another service interval at 12K plus miles.

we always get the same answer from the service manager (that it's just mechanical noise). funny thing is, we drove a courtesy van and it made the same noise!

we plan to meet with the district service manager (again), so will keep you posted with the outcome
  • arl12317arl12317 Member Posts: 1
    2 days ago after a 300-mile drive that was perfect, after stopping the van for about an hour, then starting up again heard a dull tapping/knocking noise.

The closest I can describe the sound is like the sound helicopter off in the distance.
    Opening the hood, I could almost replicate the sound by tapping on the plastic engine shroud with my fingertips (not my nails).

The sound occurs whether standing still or moving, and whether the fan is running or not. It speeds up with light revs. Once you get 'under way,' the sound disappears and the car ran effortlessly and quietly for the 300 mile return trip home.

Took it into the dealer this morning. They heard it, want to take it in an look it over, but they admit they are unfamilier with the noise.

Car has 38,000 miles -- just out of warranty -- This car has been driven gently by my wife all its life and has been meticulously maintained at the dealer.

Anybody with a similar noise?
  • pingypingy Member Posts: 12
    I took my 07 odyssey back to the dealer today for inspection. I had the service mgr. take a ride with me and I drove him around untill he had to admit that he hears the pining. It was like a game of cat and mouse. I could hear it, he said he didn't untill I just about parked it in a underpass and the ping was very audible.
    I told him that I had blogged with several people in the same boat, and he still wouldnt admit that there is a problem with the 07 odyssey.
    I also told him that I am worried about the engine failing once the 36k mile warranty was up. He then said that he would double my warranty and make it good for 75k miles. He knows there is a problem, but he wont come clean. Why would he I guess. He also told me that his factory rep will be in next month, and he would let me talk to him, and "maybe he could do something more for me".
    I am not holding my breath, but I would love to talk to him.
    we have our 15K service in about 2 weeks, I am bypassing the service manager and going to the dealer owner before I turn the car in for maintenance. I'm at my wits end with the problem. We've had the heat shield replaced, plus the service manager claims he can't hear the problem, we've ridden with the district rep. and that didn't get anywhere. He just basically said, even if there is a problem, the car is under warranty.... our tranmission makes a low growl noise at <1800RPM, when not under full power.

good luck!
  • youngersyoungers Member Posts: 1
    I have the same weird and annoying idle problem with my 2004 Odyssey. I have almost 93,000 miles on it. I think I may just trade it in before I hit 100,000 miles rather than address the revving problem.
  • susanw4susanw4 Member Posts: 2
    I have an Odyssey 2008 -lease. Had it about eight months. About 3 months ago it would do the same thing. Went up to 2000 and came down. A bit scary but I disregarded it. Last week, it went up to 3000rpm - car was hard to control but it settled down. Drove that evening and the car started to race so much as I was coming to a stop. I looked down and the rpm was at 5000. Couldn't stop the car and I was afraid I was going to run someone down. I quickly put in park and shut it down. People on the street came running to get me out since they thought it would explode. Had it towed to the dealership. They kept it for three days, put 100 miles on it and couldn't find a thing. I've driven it for a bit but I really am scared. Guy was really nice but said he couldn't find anything wrong. Don't know what to do.
    Can you rub the Aladdin magic lamp so the Honda tech can come right out when you have same thing happens again? ... lol
    Get ready a digital camera and try to take photo of instrument panel RPM & in PARK to showing to the tech that really happened.
  • susanw4susanw4 Member Posts: 2
    This is happening to me - what did you guys do. its going up to 5000 - I am petrified I am going to hit someone!
  • nancyc3nancyc3 Member Posts: 2
    After several trips to the Honda dealer, we opted to turn the car in for a new one. They could not replecate the issue during the time period they had car (on more than one occassion) and my parents refused to drive the vehicle for fear of their safety and those of others. They still feel they may hear something on news regarding the car killing someone, but we were at a loss given the dealership would do nothing to repair the issue. While it was expensive to turn in for a newer version of the vehicle, the issue has not occurred with their new one and they have been fine (knock on wood). Yes it is VERY scary when it happens.
  • mpberinmpberin Member Posts: 5
    My wife drove the Odyssey (05 80k miles) 35 miles stopped for an hour and get back on. Turns the key and car bomb type explosion! It shook the neighborhood. Top half of the manifold is in pieces. I have full fuel with 30% oil life no previous case of knocking or pinging.

Bizzare. I am hoping Honda does good and stands by their product. Initial dealer reaction is it is not covered by the warranty. Looks like I need to do a lot of work. Can anyone help steer me on how to deal with this?
  • mr_isuzumr_isuzu Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Honda Odyssey (1999 Isuzu Oasis) that suddenly dies when I am driving, and when I am stopped. No pattern at all. I took it in to Manual Isuzu and they replaced the recalled ignition switch, but the vehicle is still acting up. I can restart it, and even restart while driving. I can also hold the key while driving, and the vehicle seems to be fine. Any suggestions?

The only "clue" I have is that the fuel gauge seems to vary a bit after I restart the engine.
  • nanironaniro Member Posts: 1
    I have a brand new '09 Honda Odyssey and last week it just stopped running. I was driving and suddenly my van started losing speed, I gave it some more gas and it started to go for about 20 seconds and then stopped. There was no grinding just quiet. It has been at the dealer for over 1 1/2weeks and they just ordered cylinder heads. Oh, the van only has 352 miles on it. Has anyone else had this problem? The service manager is saying I won't get another car, but I am going to keep fighting them on it.
  • bcheneybcheney Member Posts: 1
    I just have this 09 Odyssey for a week and it has about 1K miles on it.

I notice that whenever the speed is at 40 ~ 50 mph the engine started to making noises and causing vibration.

My husband said it's probably because it was switching gears at that time. But I'm concern about the engine is having some problem. I don't know whether it is normal or it will eventually go away after a while.

Can any expert here give me some advice please?
    I have an 07 and had noises (pinging mostly) almost from the start.
    after me taking it to the dealer several times, they finally recognized that there was a problem. They replaced the "knock sensor" and it seemed to stop, but I think I still hear it at times.
    the octane of fuel doesnt matter either.
    Now, I am starting to feel the transmission shudder.
    I wish I had stuck with the dodge product that we had before this Honda.
    The honda is allot nicer inside but overall, I am not happy with it.

the constant haggling with the dealer makes me crazy!

there is a service bulletin out there ofr the knock sensor. you can prob. find it on google.

good luck!
  • hyuhyu Member Posts: 5
    I have the exactly same problem with my 2009 Odyssey. The mileage is now 1700. I found this problem on the same day when I bought a car.
    I visited 3 different dealers, 5 times.
    The first answer from Honda America was that I need to drive until 5,000 miles then it will disappear.
    The second answer from Honda Dist. Mechanic was that it is normal.
    The third answer from Honda Tech. Line was that it is a new issue. They asked a dealer to take a snapshot of my car and another brand-new Odyssey. After that they said they need to investigate more.
    In three weeks, Honda gave me a call and asked me to bring my car to a dealer. They wanted to try several different ways.
    Still my car is in a shop now.
    I bought my car on April 22, 2009, but my car was in a shop for 17 days during 4 attempts to fix the problem.
    They adjusted an engine mount, a transmission mount, and an exhaust system.
    Now they are checking a transmission torque convertor, a transmission speed sensor, etc,..
    One of service managers said he tried to fix this problem on 2005 Odyssey with a mileage of around 50,000 last year, but he couldn't.
    The problem happened at the speed of 45-55 MPH with a RPM of 1400-1500.
    It is a little bit better if it is warm, over 70 F.
    A friend of mine, who is a mechanic with over 20 year experience, said Honda may or may not know this problem, but they don't have the process to solve this problem. He also told me that if the problem remains after 3 visits to a dealer to fix the problem, I need to return the car.
    Did you go to a dealershop?
    If yes, what's the result?
  • kayefkayef Member Posts: 3
    I bought a pre-owned Honda Odyssey 3 weeks ago with 44,000 miles. Yesterday, for the 3rd time--I was stopped at a crosswalk with my brake on; suddenly the engine revved up (think NASCAR). The car started lurching into the crosswalk as I kept my foot firmly on the brake. It's at the dealer and they can't find anything wrong. I can't drive it as I almost ran a person over yesterday. Help
  • ee4lifeee4life Member Posts: 14
    This TSB was just issued today:

Product Update: Lock-Up Clutch Judders Between 20&#150;45 MPH

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/A09-053.PDF

VEHICLES AFFECTED
    2007&#150;08 Odyssey &#150; ALL
    2009 Odyssey
    LX, EX:
    Production Line 1 &#150;
    FromVIN 5FNRL3...9B000351
    thru 5FNRL3...9B056551
    Production Line 2 &#150;
    FromVIN 5FNRL3...9B400201
    thru 5FNRL3...9B410343
    EX-L, Touring:
    Production Line 1 &#150;
    FromVIN 5FNRL3...9B000201
    thru 5FNRL3...9B050869
    Production Line 2 &#150;
    FromVIN 5FNRL3...9B400321
    thru 5FNRL3...9B405632
    I had the same problem as yours. Engine rev up and down after 30K miles. I took my 04 odyssey
    to dealer, they said there's nothing wrong with it. Dealer is useless.

I took it my mechanist and he changed Idle Air control (IAC) valve. I bought Iac at $125.00 from Honda dealer and mechanist charged me $40.00 for installation. Eng
    rev is gone. No more rev up or down.

I suggest you take your car to your mechanist. Hopefully
    u get the same result. Good luck

Tri
  • 2007hondapilot2007hondapilot Member Posts: 9
    We bought the van new and we now have close to 3500 miles on it. When the van is idling in the garage the knocking is very slight but noticeable. It almost sounds like piston slap. We had a 2002 Accord 4 cylinder that had the same noise and they had to tear the engine down and replace the piston rings. It was under warranty so I hope I can do the same with the Van. Never buying hondas again.

Has anyone had luck getting Honda to fix this?
    I reprogrammed the transmission software twice, but still I have a vibration issue.
    What is the next step?
    Replacing the torque converter?
    How can I do that?
  • vsalvsal Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Odyssey ( 57K miles) and had the same problem this morning. I drove it for 20 mins and parked it at the church for an hour. When I got back and started the van the manifold blew up and is in pieces. It felt like a bomb went off in the front of the car. I was lucky the fire did not run down the fuel line and explode the van. I'm so happy my family is safe. My fuel tank is 30 % full and I had changed the engine oil a few weeks back. The AAA technician was shocked when he opened the hood. I have parked the van at the Honda dealer. Can you kindly guide me how you addressed this issue.
    I have a 2005 Odyssey ( 57K miles) which I drove it for 20 mins and parked it at the church for an hour. When I got back and started the van the manifold blew up. It felt like a bomb went off in the front of the car. I was lucky the fire did not run down the fuel line and explode the van. I'm so happy my family is safe. My fuel tank is 30 % full and I had changed the engine oil a few weeks back. The AAA technician was shocked when he opened the hood. Has anyone else experienced this issue?
  • chrisb6chrisb6 Member Posts: 1
    Did you find out what caused this? I have the same problem. I started last night... Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • kayefkayef Member Posts: 3
    The Honda dealer was useless. They claimed that the had never heard of the engine revving up on the Odyssey. They had the car for 3 weeks and said that it never acted up for them. This was very annoying as we bought the car so that we could take it on a 4,000 mile driving vacation. The car stayed home while we rented a car! The car had acted up 3 times in the 1st 800 miles that I drove it. We got the car back and it hasn't acted up again. I'm still nervous while driving it. Maybe the dealer cleaned some wires or something. We'll never know. I contacted Honda America and they were also useless. I swore off American cars because we had so many problems with our Dodge Caravan. Now I'm not sure what I'd do if I had to buy another car. Good luck with your car.
    I had exactly the same problem. They speculated that fuel might have entered the engine I have a 2005 honda odessy about 80k miles

I had my insurance pay for the damages it is back together but I think it needs shifting adjusted.

If more people have this issue maybe we can get Honda to fix it. good luck
    I took it to the dealer and they speculated that it could have happened due to carbon build up. The replaced the manifold and also added an additive to clean the engine. You should call Honda customer service and report the problem.
    I took the van to the dealer for the engine knocking at 40 miles/hr. I told them it might be a transmission problem. They upgraded the firmware twice it did not work. They will replace a torque converter it would have cost 1600. Good thing I was within the 100k warranty. Hopefully this clears up the problem.
  • susan6463susan6463 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2009 ,within first week noticed severe downshifting, within 3 months engine was knocking and pinging horrible. Dealer put knock sensor,,didn't work..throttle solenoid..didn't work..after having my van for 2 weeks they replaced the rear head completely .They thought that would fix the downshift..no..replaced torque convertor..downshifts even harder and now excelerates and does'nt want to stop when I brake..going bk for 5 th time in 60 days...contacted attorney generals office about Lemon Law..it qualifies...hopefully I can get my money back as I have had Hondas before but after this I will not get another one.
    I won't blame you ... got a new car and didn't get safe and happy driving in return.
  • neededealneededeal Member Posts: 3
    I have an 2010 Ody with 700 miles and it just quit. Cam shaft seized, needs new heads. Perfect timing, right before the road trip. Dealer offered to let me use an accord!?!? Doe anyone know how this affects the warranty? Do I have any recourse with getting a suitable replacement for my trip?
    If I bought the 2010 and it gave out like that with 700 mi. I would be getting the loaner van. or, maybe that would rather exchange your van for a new one.....
    If you wanted a accord for road trips, wouldn't you have bought an accord?
  • khoffmannkhoffmann Member Posts: 1
    Not sure where the problem is, but having some interesting challenges. It appears that the interior lights were left on, went to start and nothing, no clicks not a peep. Tried to jump it, no change. Changed battery and as soon as both battery terminals hooked, horn starts to blare. The car will turn over with the original batter (put a charge into it), but not without the horn blaring or having the panic lights & horn going.

Anybody have any thoughts or insight?
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    I just took my 07 Odyssey EX-L for the same problem and there is a recall in effect. Contact your service advisor to fix it. In my copy it's states 07/09 Recall. Maybe that is the date.
  • 2007hondapilot2007hondapilot Member Posts: 9
    Same downshifting issue on my 2009 with 5000 miles. This thing is a clunking noisy pos.... Taking it to the dealer next week.
  • cjr04cjr04 Member Posts: 1
    My 2004 Odyssey's engine has been racing up and down while in park or at stoplights for the last week or so. It's been unusually cold here in NC for the same amount of time (daytime highs of twenty to thirty degrees). Could the cold be causing this, or do I have another problem developing? Thanks!
    my 07 oddy had the rough downshift and a shudder in the trans once in a while.
    They replaced the tork conv. and that went away.

The ping however, it has been in and out a half dozen times. replaced the knock sensor............. it still pings. whatever........