Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XK Series Overall Ownership Experience

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
What has it been like for you to own an XK-Series car?

Comments

• blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I notice that used XKs are now well under 20K for a late '90s model. What do you think? Is buying one going to be a fiscal disaster? Maybe the answer lies is in how electronic it is?
  • donbldonbl Member Posts: 42
    I bought the car new six years ago and it has been good except for throttle body replacements which were due to a technician reversing two wires.

Other than that, few window switches and odds and ends that do not seem out of control...... 'course, fixing anything is expensive. Nearing end of life on fourth set of tires.

Now has 71K miles and has an extended warranty through 86K miles. Looks great and still runs good.

Do not like the new XK. Not sure what I will buy next. Maybe, trade up to an RV.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    My wife and I have owned a 1999 and now own a 2001, both convertibles. My overall assessment is that there are small annoyances with these cars (memory seats lose their mind, warning lights sometimes come on for no reason, etc.) but I haven't had any major problems. The tires do wear quickly, but changing to a different brand might help there.

There is a reason that I specified that I have owned 2 of these. Someone in a Pontiac Grand Prix blew a stop sign and came into the right front of the '99 at about 40 mph. Totalled the car, but my wife and I both opened our doors and walked away with minor bruises and scrapes. That is the reason that we bought the 2001 to replace it, and I consider it an important endorsement for the car.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• waleedrizkwaleedrizk Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with you. I have the new XK convertible, and only after a few months I found myself having to swerve to avoid running over a cyclist who smashed into a parked car's door. As I ended up on the wrong side of the road, and oncoming taxi collided almost head on with me going at 45mph+.

The two passengers and I opened the doors and walked away without any injuries. Jaguar have really got safety to very high levels. Looking at the car, its unbelievable how we were untouched in the cabin.

This has to be the biggest selling point for an everyday car. I got this car because although it doesn't have amazing performance, it is very easy to control and run everyday, and has great torque for such a light weight.

And it's absolutely gorgeous.
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    My husband is ordering the Jaguar XKR (convertible) on Monday. I checked out the backseats and they are pretty tight. They'll be great in those rare times when we'll take this car out with everyone in it. Does anyone know if there is a car seat or a booster that would fit in those curved seats for a 3 year old? They don't look very flat like other sports cars.

Thanks so much. :confuse:
  • sophiefsophief Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same question!!! CAn you please let me know what you find?
    Thanks,
    Sophie
  • kal3kal3 Member Posts: 1
    The jaguar rag top has always been my dream car, and now I'm considering buying a 2003-2004 XKR. Found an '03 with 27K miles, loaded, asking price $39K. I'd appreciate any info from those who own or have owned one. I live in WA state and am a little worried about winter driving. Also curious about repairs, problems, costs, etc. Thanks!
  • mary37mary37 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am thinking of buying an 2007 XK and was wondering what the feedback was on ownership? Any problems or regrets?
    It really is a lovely car, I have just started looking and have found several used on the market as well, and was surprised to see that so soon. Any info would be great.
  • dmintzerdmintzer Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever find a car seat that works for a 3 year old-I have the same problem-Thanks
  • flgirlaolflgirlaol Member Posts: 51
    Hi there,

Well, my husband got his beautiful black XK-R convertible a couple weeks ago and my daughter's car seat is a bit too tall for it but yesterday we went to a baby store and we found something very interesting that we haven't taken out of the box yet. It's a Safety 1st Tote and Go car seat..it's like a car seat pouch that attaches to the seat belt and has a 5 point harness. It looks like the kid is wearing a safety pack strapped to her.

Now we haven't tried this at all! I should really look into this but it was only $25.00 so we grabbed it and she's only going to be riding in the car on a rare occassion. But I do want to look more into this harness type seat. It's supposed to be used while traveling in rental cars/taxis and stuff.

Hope that helps. If you child rides in there more, a permenant child seat may be your best bet. :)
  • sheikensheiken Member Posts: 1
    I am also interested in this child seat issue. Can someone confirm it is practically possible to seat one two ear old ,and one five year old, in the back (in permanent safety seats)? Does anyone know of an adult ever having squeezed into the rear seat of the XK? :)
  • britcrlvrbritcrlvr Member Posts: 83
    I sat in it yesterday I am 5'10. Incredibly uncomfortable, it gives new meaning to plastic seats covered with nice leather. This was in the coupe which should have more backseat room than the convertible.

Convertible tops store behind the rear seat minimizing rear seat occupants legroom

a two year old is doable a five year old is getting close.

how tall is the child, below five ft should not be a problem, 4'8 and higher is going to be no fun for anyone in the backseat.

when I testdrove the car with my wife, I had to have the seat all the way forward, to accomodate the salesperson and she was only 5 ft, and she struggled.

THink about it this way, this is not a car to drive to dinner with you and 3 other people. It is a car for at most two people. The backseats, are just there to reduce insurance prices.
  • jaggaljaggal Member Posts: 1
    I work at a Jaguar dealership and I am also the proud owner of a 2007 XK convertible. We have sold approximately two dozen of these beauties and I have seen all of the issues that have come into our service department. Most of the issues have been misunderstandings in how the vehicle operates. I will say it has been a learning experience on my end to know all of the things to make an xk driver aware of so their experience is care free. But we have not had any real issues with any of them except a very early on computer software upgrade. :blush:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    what do you think has been confusing owners about the car's operation. Are these things design faults or do they not get proper instruction?
  • videofamevideofame Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone seen the new Azure color on the XK/XKR convertible. I'm would order the Ivory interior with slate and burl wood trim and 20" Senta wheels. I would get the Dark Blue rag top. I was lucky to test drive both the XK and XKR convertibles several times now! I even got to drive the XKR on a semi race track that was fun!
  • tomahatomaha Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 XK-8 just ran out of warranty. I have had several electrical issues over the years. I'm sure they would have been very costly if I had to pay for them. Anyone else looking at this?
  • muttley1muttley1 Member Posts: 15
    I am looking at the same issue for my 2003 XKR. I just bought it in July as the warranty expired, with only 8k miles.
    Initially bought a warranty through the local Jaguar dealer, which turned out to be useless as I had my first repair issues - they covered nothing so I cancelled the warranty for a full refund.
    Am now looking for a major breakdown warranty - powertrain, roof, etc.
    Be interested in sharing info on this, and appreciate anyone else's experience.
    I have used the rear seat of the 2002 XKR Convertible for my kids and on one occasion an unfortunate colleague.
    Getting the car seat for the two-year old in there is a real challenge, as it takes up lots of space. Once the kid is in there, I have to move the passenger seat all the way forward and the back all the way up - and his feet still hit the back of the front seat.
    For the older kids, the room back there is fine.
  • PavarottiPavarotti Member Posts: 13
    I hear carchex is a reputable provider of extended warranties. Has anyone had experience with this company?
    Do not know about carchex but did buy an extended warranty through the dealer after I bought a used 2003 XKR convertible privately. I believe the company was JBS/JDS/JDM or the like. After they failed to cover some repairs that I thought they should have, however, I cancelled the warranty for a full refund.
    Good luck.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    And here I am, a new (to me) 2009 Liquid Silver Jag XK Coupe owner! Just a gorgeous piece of work, an attention getter no doubt.

I've only had it a few weeks, but one smooth, powerful, quiet and comfortable ride. Not sure I'm looking forward to New England winters, but I'll be buying snow shoes. Or, panic and buy a winter beater...

So far, ownerhsip-experience-wise: The AM radio has gone adios. Averaging ~20mpg in mixed driving, need to buy some fresh Zaino but am enjoying the shine supplied by the dealer. 12 year old son approves of the car, 15 year old daughter not so much. She feels the $ was better spent on home renovations and college savings. Can't argue with that, my thoughts, too, just her voice. But the mid-life crisis side of the brain ruled the day!

If anyone has any experiences to report with their 2007+ XKs, love to read 'em!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Hi, Folks:

New '09 XK Coupe owner. Does anyone know if when the passenger door or hatch is open, should there be a chime to go along with the IP notification. Driver's door chimes, not passenger or hatch...

Thanks!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Over a month in with the XK. A/C tube, AM Radio and Glove Box door fixed. Still enjoying the ride, like the exhaust note. Car gets a lot of attention, has been mistaken for (not surprisingly) an Aston Martin and Maserati so far. Getting ~20mpg in mixed driving.

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    No pic?

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

Luddite, nowhere to host pix...

The XK continues to get unsolicited compliments (sadly, not so the driver...). Biggest gripe for me is the brake dust buildup on the alloys. It's almost like having a black car, they're only clean for about a day or two after cleaning. But whatever wax the dealer applied to the body when prepping is keeping water beading up quite nicely. However, Zaino in the near future. Although I don't relish the ritual (Dawn wash, Z7 wash, Z6, then a couple of coats of Z5/ZFX. Yeah, Z5, not Z2 per Sal for the Liquid Silver color). I must be getting old...

Exhaust note continues to put a smile on my face. And the mpg hasn't been bad although I think the OBC may be about 5% optimistic. Winter fast approaches, so we'll have to get the lovely wife her new wheels in the next couple of months so I can user her RX300 when the snow flies.

Loving the Jag, but thinking what's my next set of wheels...! ;)

But, post on I shall:

Another electrical gremlin for the Jag: Nav system has flaked out. Started shutting down every time I entered a destination, took two or three tries to enter, but it worked. No longer, now I'm stuck in Washington, DC, can't program any other location! And, the AM radio might be on vacation again... But, no critical system failures and I totally expected electrical gremlins. Warranty, loner car. But, come the end of warranty, I may have to set the feline free! To roam, unfettered amongst the common, proletariat hoi polloi of the mainstream automobile backwater! And, then I'll buy a Kia...

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

Dealer couldn't recreate the Nav issue. I picked up car, and while sitting in the lot, after service had closed, was able to recreate the issue first three times I tried to enter an address. Fourth time and beyond, it worked. I'll keep an eye on it, bring it back later.

At least it got a nice bath.

Still loving the sound of this ride, great exhaust note! And, of course, the style.

Stopped by the Jag dealer regarding the rebooting Nav system. Got a tech in the car, couldn't recreate the issue for him....initially. Finally, it rebooted the system several times. They kept the car for three days, ultimately replacing the Nav system. I got a Hyundai Santa Fe rental (on the dealer, of course), nice enough. Best part was the Satellite radio.

Dusting of snow today, my XK barely made it up the driveway! My first RWD car with wide, low Summer tires. I expected poor snow performance (I won't be driving it in real snow), but I was surprised at how bad it was in a dusting, probably < 1/8"!

Wow, it's about time they replaced that Nav system for you... just in time for snow tires?

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Not this winter. I have use of an older SUV for the white gold. Come this fall, I'll have to decide which direction to take: snows or as the OEM Dunlop's may be ready for replacement, all-season's with a rep for being good in the snow (Continental Contact DSW, Nokian WRG2?) or trading the XK for something a little more practical. Right now, that would be an Audi A/S5, A7 or RR Evoque. Would be tough to part with the XK, though, but I think I've scratched the mid-life crisis itch. Although, there is the (hopefully!) upcoming Jag C-X16! Wife told my son it would be "irresponsible of your father to buy a two-seater!" That's cold... ;)

edited January 2012

• mherman346mherman346 Member Posts: 1
    The Akebono brand brake pads will eliminate nearly all the black powder soot from the wheels. [http://www.autopartswarehouse.com has them as AKEBONO EURO ULTRA-PREMIUM BRAKE PADS, CERAMIC, 2-WHEEL SET] I had them installed with EBC slotted rotors and they work great and eliminated nearly all the soot problem.
    Thanks for the advice, I'll review when the time comes. Luckily, they're an easy clean.

Not sure he would cross his Mom, the "money tree!" Wife has a passive-aggresive attitude about my XK. She's been encouraging me for years to just do it, but I being a fiscally conservative New Englander felt there were better things to do with the money (mortgage, college savings, blackjack... ;) ). But, when a stock I owned was bought out, a sudden cash windfall-ish. Which I was going to save for a rainy, college invoice day... But she persuaded me to go to the dark side. And, is mad at me for doing so! I think she thought my "cheapness" wouldn't allow me to do so. Heads she wins, tails I lose!

But, that future Jag is a temptress. Let's see how reality stacks up to the fantasy.

So, two days after a rock creates an 18" straight line crack in the wife's BMW, today my car got nailed. Dime-sized crack about 8" below my sight line. Let's see how it looks tonight...

• v8catv8cat Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 2010 Jaguar XK coupe now almost 1 1/2 years. Not a problem! It has been back to the dealer only once for the free annual oil change. I'm just amazed at what an improvement the car is over the 1999 XK8 coupe I traded in. The aluminum body is much more rigid, and the new 385 HP engine is nice. The exhaust note is really exotic sounding - the older model I had was too quiet. The interior materials are top-notch including the leather covered dashboard and the soft grain leather seats with contrasting stitching. It also has the Bowers & Wilkins sound system, 16-way heated & cooled seats and the BEST THING ABOUT IT IS ALL OF THIS WAS STANDARD. There was not an option on the car except for the 20 inch Kalimnos wheels. It's great that you don't feel a bit cheated becasue you are in the base model.
    edited April 2012
    Nice to hear about your XK, I agree that the exhaust note is great! My '09 "only" has the 300hp 4.2, but that's fine by me. The B & W system is also great, much better sounding to me than the Alpine. Mine also has the luxury pkg, so leather everywhere, multi-adjustable seats etc. Contrasting stitching would have been a nice touch, though.

Where are you located, any snow experience with your XK?

It has been a year since I bought my Liquid Silver '09 Jag XK Coupe.

Likes: Well, look at it! It's an attention getter (last week, the father of one of my son's teammates brought his silver Aston Martin DB9 convertible to the game, I parked next to him. Like twins, separated at birth! Gotta admit, though, the Aston looks even better). Exhaust note, power delivery through the seamless auto tranny, luxurious interior, great ride/handling combination and fuel economy all make the like list. My new favorite frivolity, heated steering wheel has spoiled me for all cars to come (except, of course, the "winter beater" I'm contemplating buying. I just need that to run well and have heat!). And the keyless push button start is cool, the B&W audio system rocks and rolls.

Dislikes: Hmmm, well fuel economy (yes, also a like, because given the car and my driving, the 19-20mpg I average ain't bad. But, not great.). Warranty trips to the dealer for the AC issue (passenger footwell filling with condensation water), the audio control module and Nav system replacement. But, it's a British car, so the electronic gremlins surprised me not. The AC was unexpected. But, warranty work and absolutely fine otherwise. The touch screen certainly isn't state of the art, slow and having to scroll back and forth amongst screens isn't as much fun as it sounds. But, again, I knew of the electronic foibles before buying, so it was not a deal breaker.

So, I'll continue to enjoy this wonderful GT through the summer that is inching closer every day. I do kinda miss having a roof hole, c'est la guerre. I do need a road trip, though!

But the other Prince of Darkness: Another "Lucas" moment. The other day, hopped in the XK and all the radio presets were gone. As was any radio audio. Ok, switched to CD, no problem. Drove home, rebooted car and all is well again. No problems since. But, the Gremlins, they lay in wait! 9 months of warranty left...

Of course, this happened two days after I was at the dealer for an hour simply getting my state inspection sticker, maybe it picked up a germ from a Land Rover? :P

To all my many loyal readers: Took a bit of a road trip this past weekend. MA to CT (overnight at Mohegan Sun, got a free t-shirt!). Then, CT to the Berkshires in MA (in driving rain for a good portion of the trip). Returning via the Turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston (Ok, Westfield to I-495...).

75/25% I'll estimate highway/local driving. Including several stops, one PITA traffic tie-up on the way home Sunday returned (per the OBC):

338 miles
    48mph average speed
    26.2mpg

All in the smooth, quiet and effortlessly powerful Jag. A pleasure, as always.

Downside? The Jag was parked under a tree from Friday night to Sunday afternoon, tree and birds did their jobs nicely. Hosed off the nasties upon returning home, will properly wash the car tonight.

But, I'll try to break through all the noise...

'09 XK is now out of warranty. Nothing to report so far. I think it will need new shoes before state inspection. Otherwise, all is well. Just passed 35k miles, mpg has picked up as I think we may now be in the summer-blend of gas. A few dings in the passenger side door, which makes me quite sad. Like a scar on an in her prime Kim Basinger...

:( To my many, many followers on this thread: It is with great sadness that I announce the passing of my 2009 Jaguar XK....to a local Jag dealer as trade on a 2013 Jaguar XF. Great New Year's Eve deal, slightly offset by the lighter than other Jag dealer trade-in offers on the XK. But, the Jag/LR dealer (currently being refurbished) was great, threw in winter mats after the deal was done. Great financing, too.
    I will pine for the XK for some time, it was a very special car to me. But, life does not always follow a straight road, a curve in said road led me trade for a more sensible pair of shoes. A pair I could drive in the snow and take a pair or two of skis within if I so desired.
    Only have had the XF for a week, still adjusting to it. But, it is a lovely design both interior and exterior. So far, not thrilled with mpg, but not a highway run of more than a few miles so far, next week I'll take a longer road trip.
    Besides the two vs. four doors, the AWD (and the extra ~400lbs) and the big trunk, the biggest difference to me is the ambience: The XK was a British Gentleman's Library: Quiet (besides the fantastic V8 growl and excellent B & W stereo), all wood and leather with dashes of chrome. The XF is cool and modern: not quite as silent (and missing the V8 symphony), more aluminum than wood, but matted wood vs. highly glossed in the XK and a bit o'the chrome. Improved infotainment, but still lags BMW and Audi. But, easy to get used to and it works, although a bit slowly at times. Phosporesent blue lighting, cool...
    And, of course, since I bought it to be able to drive in the snow, ain't no snow to go in! And, none forecasted, it's getting warmer (from, of course around 3 degrees!). My guess is that now that I've bought a snow go car, I won't see snow again for years!
    Adieu, sweet XK. I hope you find a truly loving home.

• sov211sov211 Member Posts: 2

In a word: superb: smooth, fast, powerful, comfortable, excellent fit and finish and a shape that puts every other car to shame. And as long as you keep the battery fully charged, no problems at all.