Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type Climate Control Problems

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
AC or Heat controls acting erratically? Post your questions or experiences here!

Comments

• jspreitzjspreitz Member Posts: 2
    I have an '03 S-type that has had heater/AC problems at least twice. My Jag is equipped with a touch screen for GPS and other functions. When this system crapped out, I was unable to operate the sound system or control the temperature which became VERY hot.

Under warrantee, the dealer reprogrammed the computer (which one?) two different times and that seemed to have taken care of the problem.

I'm not very pleased at being so dependent upon computer chips that may crap out unexpectedly.
  • dr_timdr_tim Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1991 Sov. The heating/ac cooling fan motor does not work when I turn the switch (I cannot hear the air blowing anymore). I am planning to bring it to a dealer but am looking for any input that may prevent this always costly procedure. I had all the fuses checked out and they are fine.Also I replaced the ac/heater controls($1800.00) Thank you.
  • steinkesteinke Member Posts: 1
    hello out there, does anyone know about the damper door motor, or damper door location on the jaguar s type 2000. i am having problems, when i turn on the air i can hear the door creek trying to open all the way, sometimes it will open and let ice cold air out, sometimes it doesnt and i get super hot air. in the winter i get the same thing with heat. please help as soon as possible.
    jerry steinke
  • volnushkinvolnushkin Member Posts: 1
    i have a problem whis a climat control in 2001 jag s-type.it's blow only a cold air.i need some healp whis this.
  • albrecjmalbrecjm Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2002 Jag. x-type 3.0Perfect car. But the ac vents on the driver side blow cold, but the vents on the passanger side blow colder. There is not a dual climate option. How is this happening and where is the fix??? PLease help.
  • rwoods19rwoods19 Member Posts: 3
    i have a problem whis a climat control in 2000 jag s-type.it's blow only a cold air.i need some help whis this. does anyone know about the damper door motor, or damper door location on the jaguar s type 2000. i am having problems, when i turn on the air i can hear the door creek trying to open all the way, sometimes it will open and let ice cold air out, sometimes it doesnt and i get super hot air. in the winter i get the same thing with heat. please help as soon as possible.
  • mjb12mjb12 Member Posts: 1
    This is a common problem with the 2000+ S-type. I too had this problem. I replaced the WATER HEATER VALVE.PART NO. XR8 22975. THIS IS AN ORIGINAL JAGUAR EQUIPMENT PART. THIS PART WHEN FAILS CAUSES COMPLETE SHUT DOWN OF WARM AIR INTO VEHICLE.
    Everything works fine now.

">
  • jaymzsjaymzs Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2004 S type 4.2, I notice some creaking and tapping noises when I start the car , its in the damper area of the heater, I can't put a figure on it. Even if the car is off it seems to continue for awhile and it it is windy out side it seems more noticeable, I rock the controls back and fourth a bit. It usually stops.
    I'm 3 days out of my 4 year warrantee now I wish I would have brought it in.
    I don't know if the damper is loose, or the vacuum servo or what. The Temp and air work fine though,, have you fixed your problem?
    I brought mine to the dealer for the same thing and they replace a part in the AC , don't ask me what. but it works fine now.
    I would love to find out what your problem ended up being and what it sounded like
    I have a 2004 S type 4.2, I notice some creaking and tapping noises when I start the car , its in the damper area of the heater, I can't put a figure on it. Even if the car is off it seems to continue for awhile and it it is windy out side it seems more noticeable, I rock the controls back and fourth a bit. It usually stops.
    I'm 3 days out of my 4 year warrantee now I wish I would have brought it in.
    I don't know if the damper is loose, . The Temp and air work fine though,, Of Course its at the dealer now and hasn't made a peep!
  • 1978dodge1978dodge Member Posts: 1
    My Fiance just purchased an 04 Jaguar S-Type with a V8 Yesterday. On her drive home, the climate control display began to flash and won't stop. I tried shutting off the car and waiting a while but no luck. Also, when the car is completely turned off, with the back lighting off, you can still see the display faintly flashing in the background. Any help? Or will have to go back to the dealer?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep, to the dealer-- probably needs to be scanned to call up the trouble codes for diagnostics.
  • markj13markj13 Member Posts: 6
    s type 2002 2.5.air con doesnt work at all and nothing illuminates on air con dials.could it just be a fuse or are they a common fault on the unit???
  • bevandybevandy Member Posts: 1
    hi where is the water heater valve locatedand is a easy repair to do yourself cheers bev
  • shymanukshymanuk Member Posts: 2
    hi can anyone help ive a 1999 3.0 l stype, the heater never blows warm air through no matter how long its been running, you only get it whilst driving along, also the air con dose not get very cold during summer, can anyone tell me the prob and how much to fix or if i can dot it myself, thank you
  • shymanukshymanuk Member Posts: 2
    also meant to say that you can feel the heat coming out from under the engine bay if you stand at the side of the car if its been running or standing awhile
  • TLochTLoch Member Posts: 1
    I have recently bought a 2000 Jag S Type 3.0. My second, I had a new one back when…

This a low mileage car that has a climate control problem. In summer, the AC will work just fine for days and then start blowing hot air until it decides to work again. In winter the opposite occurs.

I would love to fix this myself. Any ideas?
    My Friends did the same thing, it wasn't under the dash or any controls , it was a solinoid or switch under the hood, pep boys fixed it for about 30.00 bucks I think.
    You can have the trouble codes read, at least to get a start on where to look.
  • cloemcloem Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am new in this forum

I bought recent a Jaguar S-Type 2000/2001 and I am with the
    same problem in the control climat. I work the automatic but
    the air only conditioned the fan works and it doesn't cool.
    He begins hot and later the fan only works.
    What can be happening?
    It will be that the conditioned air needs product to work perfectly
    in the cold function?
    Please help as soon as possible.Thanks
  • tom22338tom22338 Member Posts: 2
    Sure would be helpful if you'd ask your "Friend" what Pep Boys did to fix this problem, then tell the rest of us. I have the exact same symptoms and two Jag service bays have yet to come up with a resolution. They did replace 3 temp sensors, but that didn't work. I can fix the problem myself by pulling off the road and restarting the engine, but when the problem starts to occur every 30 minutes, more or less, it becomes a pain. Especially now that summer is coming to Florida.
  • cloemcloem Member Posts: 3
    When you substituted the WATER HEATER VALVE
    the conditioned air perfectly worked in the cold and
    in the hot? Greetings!
  • barb53barb53 Member Posts: 1
    2004 S type, V8. AC blows hot on sides, cooler in middle (but not cold). Freon full. What to check now? Ford dealer says they can't work on it. Any ideas before going to the big guns (Jag dealer).
  • rwoods19rwoods19 Member Posts: 3
    My low beam light on the driver side is not working and its not the bulb. So does anyone have an idea what may be causing the light failure. i switched bulbs to verify if the light is any good. i checked the fuse box and the check was a good fuse. Does the relay play a part in the failure?

before the light went out i did notice movement in the light as i was hitting bumps in the road.
  • kurtckurtc Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 S Type that started blowing warm and cold air out of the vents at the same time. I took it to the Jag dealer and they could not properly diagnose the problem. At first it was the climate control module, then it was something else. After 1 week they "discovered" that some sealed wiring harness was full of water. They stated that we must have driven the car in a flooded area. The only problem with this is that I live in Arizona, and it had not rained for 6 months! I am guessing that this is a typical Jaguar problem that they are not willing to fess up to. The cost to replace this harness is almost $3500.00! what kind of a car does Jaguar build? We have just turned 31,000 miles and already we have had to replace suspension bushings, the seal around the trunk, (which still leaks-another typical Jaguar problem) and now this. We also have a 100,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty that will not pay for the repair because they say it was caused by corrosion. No kidding, it was full of water because of a failed seal!. As you can tell, I am fed up with the Jaguar and will be looking to get rid of it as soon as possible. I wish I could give you more positive input, but so far I have nothing to be positive about.
  • keithj1keithj1 Member Posts: 1
    following my expansion tank burstingand the loss of water ,the engine management closed down the engine progressively. following cooling i reintroduced tepid water and limped home. having fitted a new tank i bled the system at the plastic valve within the top of the main hose. since then i cannot receive hot air ,the blower works but only cold air arrives.
  • pfibpfib Member Posts: 2
    Did you find out what the "Pep Boys" replaced. I have 2003 S V8 with a climate control system on drugs....or steroids....but with a mind of it's own.

pfib
  • tom22338tom22338 Member Posts: 2
    Don't know what Pep Boys replaced (not my message), but I had same problem and finally replaced the Heater Control Valve (p/n XR940091). Since then, no problems! even tho Jag service guy said "no way would this fix the problem!" However, part cost $318 and labor was $231. Also 1/2 gal of coolant was $33 and 1/2 gal of distilled water was $1.28 (they charged me for water???) So, for about $580 bucks I got the A/C working again. Good luck to you...
  • pfibpfib Member Posts: 2
    Many thanks.........

pfib
  • mrrevolmrrevol Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me where the hot water heater valve is? :confuse:
    It's below the receiver/dryer for the AC. It has 5 ports so it should be easy to spot. The part is $285 retail and the labor rate is 2 hours for a mechanic. Coolant extra of course, as would be clamps, hoses, whatever.
  • nwjagnwjag Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 and I'm having the same problems. The heater valve has been charged but still not getting cold air on both sides. Every time I take everything part and put back, it works for a bit then hot air returns on the passenger side. Please Help!!

could it be the auxiliary water pump?
    I don't have the complete diagram for this HVAC system but this situation sounds like a possible defect in an actuator that opens and closes a blending door under the dash. Some systems are electric actuators, some vacuum. The vacuum ones tend to have these mysterious tendencies, since a small leak can slowly open or close an actuator or the door it controls.
    Thanks Mr. Shiftright.

I took the auxiliary water pump off then it worked. Once the car got hot, it started blowing hot air.. You think it might be the auxiliary water pump?
    I went to Jaguar they told me it's the evaporator sensor.. I changed it and the same issue. This thing is driving me crazy..
    Can you bench test that pump? If it were inoperative, i wonder if it would block all or most coolant flow.
    Mr. Shiftright, Thanks for all your help. I check the pump, its in working order.. I went back to Jag this morning, they stated once the heater valve was replaced, the car burns the climate control panel. So I'm looking at $1800+ for repairs.
    wait wait...run that dealer comment by me again please? More details?
    lol.. I thought the same thing. They stated the climate control module was burnt out due to the replacement of the heater valve. Therefore, while replacing the heater valve it has the tendence of shooting out the climate control module. As per the Assistant Service Manager.
    rubbish.
  • jag2000jag2000 Member Posts: 1
    cold air coming out of vents when engine warm but 2 pipes in passenger compartment hot. does this mean valve is working. 2000 jag. s-type with v-8.can hear blend door actuators working,.
    that would depend on whether one pipe is on one side of the valve and the other pipe on the other side. I don't know the system well enough to speculate but of course if you have a hot pipe on intake and one on outflow (from the heater core) then yeah the valve would have to be working and it would seem that the blending doors or actuators are the problem.
  • jbantingjbanting Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 S-Type and I am actually having the same exact problem. I just had the heater valve replaced today as it was previously leaking coolant. I believed that this was the problem with the A/C but it was not. The A/C still blows cool not cold on the passenger side and hot on the driver side with no ability to control temp. The mechanic ran a diagnostic and said that it looks like it’s could be the Climate Control Panel. Don’t want to spend $1600, if I can pinpoint the issue and have it properly repaired. Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.
  • ednahensonednahenson Member Posts: 1
    My air conditioner blows really cold air and the weather its set at o or 89. If I take auto air off no matter what it is set on it just makes a noise as though its blowing. You can't fill any air blowing and neither warm nor cold comes out.
    Any suggestions
  • pompuswildbillpompuswildbill Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 S 3.0. Air conditioning works fine but no heat. Firestone ran the diagnostics and said I needed a new Climate control module at $1800. I bought a used one on line for $100 and replaced it myself. Fairly easy and took me about an hour. No change. I am going to try changing the water heater valve next. I cannot believe two Climate control modules would be bad.
  • scattered_woodscattered_wood Member Posts: 1
    transmission shuts down due to computer malfunction what do i do???
  • beefcakevelourbeefcakevelour Member Posts: 1
    wildbill, could you please help me brother? i have a 2002 jaguar stype and air conditioning works fine but no heat. could please tell me in detail where the Climate control module is located and where online can i purchase a used one. I want to try this first to see if it helps with the heat. it sometimes come on but the hot air is faint.. just enough so i dont see my breath in the car..lol and the faint heat at times smell like some sort of plastic burning. Cant afford a 1800 right now and im mechanically inclined to some degree. or anyone else on this thread your help will graciously be appreciated
  • dryden57dryden57 Member Posts: 8
    If anyone needs dual climate control valves I have some new ones for 140.00 on ebay the five port ones. Or if you need help installing or troubleshooting let me know