Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar S-Type Transmission Problems

1235»

Comments

• soberguyjaguarsoberguyjaguar Member Posts: 43
    Needs diag. Could just as easily be a stretched shifter cable
  • foche911foche911 Member Posts: 2
    @soberguyjaguar...I am in OK....how do I contact you or find your place of business/shop?
  • soberguyjaguarsoberguyjaguar Member Posts: 43
    Just drive or have your car shipped to : Bills automotive repair,2029 s Air Depot blvd. Midwest city,ok. 73110 and call 4057320349 say that you talked to Bill on the Internet.
  • foche911foche911 Member Posts: 2
    OK Thanks I have question. 2001 S Type 4.2 D VIN. Engine locked.
    Can this be converted to 6 cylinder?
    I was looking for a 6 cylinder model and found this nice looking 2001 locked up from likely low oil. Last Owner thinks quick change shop probably did not add full 7 quarts.
    Six cylinder is way cheaper and more low mileage selection.
    Is tranny same?
    I have a 6 cylinder tranny not here yet. I can check VIN of car it came out of.
    Can later year engine and transmission fit?
    Is there already threads on this subject?
  • erinzerinz Member Posts: 29
    If I am not in a rush to buy but do you think it's worth waiting around till December to purchase an ML? Traditionally I know it's year end and yada yada, but does anyone know of incentives from past years or what Mercedes is planning on doing for a promo for the ML's in Dec?
  • girlscandrive2girlscandrive2 Member Posts: 2
    I was experiencing alot of the issues I see here when I first bought my 2000 s type. It's my new project. I was seeing "gearbox default" and the car was going into limp mode or neutral. by down shifting it seemed to put it back on track temporarily, seriously sluggish in acceleration and had to keep it in sport mode. when the motor was cold it drove well. the gas mileage was awful. did an oil change and a tune up and no more issues, drives like a dream....just a little food for thought guys!! oh, and had the stuck in park issue once too, always use your parking brake, lol, if it sticks just jar it a few times or rock it back and forth gently and let it sit for about an hour and it will slip back into place. trying to force it will break the clip. if you break the clip there is an after market part made of steel that will solve that issue permanently.
  • girlscandrive2girlscandrive2 Member Posts: 2
    basically this cars computer is designed to put your transmission into limp mode to alert you to any maintenance issues. and from what I'm seeing alot of you are being taking advantage of by mechanics. I worked for one that did this regularly to his customers. have the codes run at an auto zone and google them yourself before you take it in. That way you know if your mechanic can be trusted with your car and your wallet.
  • yowza22yowza22 Member Posts: 2
    I have a chance to buy a 2000 S-type jag that the owner says will not move; they "know the problem is low fluid but you have to take it to a mechanic and they just paid it off"...for $800.
    Pictures of the car show a nice car.
    Should I take a chance on it just being low fluid in the tranny?
    Awwwwfully cheap...
  • yowza22yowza22 Member Posts: 2
    Oh! and it's "only" got 133,000 miles on it...
  • angelpatriciaangelpatricia Member Posts: 1
    I don't have a jaguar s type. But I have a friend who owns the car. based on his experience of jaguar type s very tough on engines. I also review the latest cars that I wrote on my blog: Car Reviews Release
    I am a Blogger at Car Reviews Release
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yowza22 said:

Oh! and it's "only" got 133,000 miles on it...

You can buy these clean and running well for $2,500 all the day long. What advantage do you think you'd gain buying a car you cannot even drive to test out? If it were just low fluid, why wouldn't someone put the fluid in there and show you a working automobile?

Run, don't walk.
  • Tweetham44Tweetham44 Member Posts: 1

The parking pawl is what's getting stuck on the 02 Jaguars that causes to car to stay stuck in park if you are on the smallest incline and if you force the shift out of park the plastic sleeve inside the shift breaks and the shift now moves freely. Jaguar replaced this plastic sleeve with a metal one but didn't resolve the issue with why the parking pawl gets stuck. If you start the car and rock it forward and pull the shift back it will shift out of park. I have broken the plastic sleeve on mine and had to put a bracket inside the shift