Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type: New Owners Needs Some Pointers

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
If you're a new Jaguar X-Type owner and need some advice on operation, maintenance, etc., post your question to current X-Type owners here!

Comments

• iacobucciiacobucci Member Posts: 4
    I was told by a Jag dealer that remote starts and not recommended to be installed in the x-type because of problems with electrical systems and starters. Has anyone heard of such problems before I have the installation done.
    I have a 2002 X-Type 3.0
  • trish803trish803 Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased my second 2004 X-type in less than 2 months. My first one was stolen, however I hope someone can give me some pointers on this problem. First I should have been paying more attention when I was making my purchase. Im having problems with the key transmitter. I have to keep reprogramming it. It will work once after I program it then not again until I go through the motions again. Got any advise? Ive checked and changed the batteries...
  • doubledaffydoubledaffy Member Posts: 1
    I'm not really a new owner, or a new user, but I could use some pointers. First, what would be the optimal RPM to be running the engine at? I use a manual transmission. Automatics run engines at pretty low, around like 1 or 2 thousand, but I read/heard that some engines (I believe mostly DC engines) run optimally at around 4500RPM. What is the best for the X-Type? (Both for fuel economy and engine health) Secondly, someone stole my keys!!! (I was running and didn't have any pockets so I left them in my usual safe spot which I guess wasn't so safe) Anyway, I just want to have the spare key made, I don't need the programmed remote. It's going to cost around $170. So has anyone found a cheaper solution? Thanks A lot
  • jagingtonjagington Member Posts: 1
    The fuse for my turn signals and hazrd lights keeps blowing. The manual says the correct ampage is 15, so why do the fuses keep blowing? Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone have a solution?
  • jcm57jcm57 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all:
    I just purchased a 2004 X-type, 6 cyl, auto, 23,000 miles. I have been reading some reviews and blogs (unfortunately, AFTER I bought the car) and am absolutely terrified that I just bought a lemon. I am reading horror stories about how mechanically crummy these cars are, very expensive to maintain, things always breaking down. What suggestions fo you all have for an extended warranty plan? Are those cars dogs?
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    Have had 2 of them. My first was an 03, and, now an 06. Mechanically the cars have been bulletproof. Between the two of them I've run up about 60K miles. Sevice costs - on your 04 - I believe the 10K service intervals are free through 40K miles. Check with your dealer. After that, using the dealer for routine service is pricey, same as any other car in this class. If you want to sleep better, talk to your local Jag dealer about extending the factory warranty to 100K miles. Jag's extended warranty is one of the best, and, they have a number of deductable amouts to choose from. If you want to buy one of Jag's extended waranty packages, you have to do it before your original warranty runs out. I did it when I purchased my 06 new - extended the warranty to 7 years - 100K miles. Have seen some of the blogs and reviews as well - have found most of them to be pure fertilizer.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • jcm57jcm57 Member Posts: 7
    Thank you for your response. For my own piece of mind, I will get an extended warranty. Now, just figuring which one! I did not buy the car at the Jaguar dealership, but that shouldn't prevent me from purchasing an the extended warranty from them? Thanks again.
    Happy to be of help. In addition to shopping your local dealer for one of the factory extended warranty packages, you might contact Bergen Jaguar in New Jersey as well. I believe they sell the factory warranty packages via the internet at a discount. Yes - your car should still be under its original factory warranty if it has less than 50K miles on it. Your local dealer can advise you of its original in service date, service history, etc. and help you decide which package is right for you. I went with the $100 deductable because I'm a pretty fair shade tree mechanic and can handle minor stuff myself.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • xtypedieselxtypediesel Member Posts: 3
    can anyone help/advise, my 54plate engine has an awful noise noticable on idle. . ive sent it back 4 times and they changed different bits but no cure. i recently had a crash and it got declared uneconomical repair. and cat C. so i bought it back and off ebay got 2 doors a wing a headlight sill cover, a bonnet ,. and bought from jaguars bottom wishbone a hub assembly front shock. quite cheaply . so for £2,000 it will be back on the road .after a vic check. ive had the car over 2 years. whilst i had it jacked up doing the suspension i ran the engine and saw the crank pully was out of ballance and the belt flapping and thus making the awfull vibration noise that the dealer was unable to fix. i spoke to the dealer and they tell me that the warranty has ended because the car had an accident is this true . the dealers have lied to me and tried to con me for years and we recon that if bullsh-- could fly theyd be astanauts. can anyone advise regards the warranty issue, and how to cure the crank pully (change it ,) the car cost me 20,000 and depreciated rapidly ,glad i took out the gap insurance , clearedenough to repair car and few hundred left over. it did take 9 weeks of hassle getting the payment. so im going to keep the car once finished. thanks for any help.
    I suggest you call the factory support number, or, e-mail them, and ask them about the warranty. Then you'll find out if you dealer is being truthful.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    yes if a car is declared salvaged then you have no more warranty.
  • betmendbetmend Member Posts: 1
    Just bought my 04 AWD x-type (15,600 miles)through Carmax, and bought their extended warranty (additional 5 years from manufacturer's) Have I set myself up to a world of trouble? Dcouments say a $75 deductible if serviced at a Jag dealership or $50 if I service through Carmax. Love the car, but just want to know what I should be looking at for the future.

Thanks, betmend
    First of all - check with the Jag Dealer. You should have some remaining factory warranty and free service available on your vehicle through Jag. I've owned 2 X Types, an 03 2.5 automatic, and, now, an 06 3.0 automatic. Both have given me excellent service - just don't let Bozo the clown service it for you. I change the oil and filter at 5K intervals - twice as often as the owners manual reccomends. Use good oil ( I use Castrol GTX) and decent filters. Treat and service the car well and it should be very reliable, and, very enjoyable to drive. Feed it a steady diet of premium gas to maximize performance, fuel economy, and engine life.

Hope this helps:
    OldCEM
  • emartin4emartin4 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 04 x-type and wish to lower my rear suspensions. The front is fine. Can someone please make recommendations on the following? I need to hear from people who had previous experience on this aspect.
    1. is it advisable to buy a lowering kit, which is pricey, for my jag or buy a lowering block?
    2. what is one the best brand name of parts I can buy in the market for a lowering kit and/or a lowering block and where can I purchase them?
    3. please provide insights on the pros and cons of installing one.
    Thanks.
    One thing you must keep in mind about lowering is that you can only lower a certain small amount before you also have to change out your struts/shocks so as to prevent a very harsh ride and destruction of your stock struts. It may be that the lowering kit you are talking about includes new, more compliant struts that can cope with the lowered ride height--and this is why it's expensive.

So you get what you pay for...in my opinion, if you lower more than 1 & 1/2 inches without changing to the proper struts, you are asking for trouble.
  • brendon3brendon3 Member Posts: 10
    I bought an 03 x-type loved the car but the ride is the worst i ever had if i ride over a dime in the road i feel it what can i do? and those darn air vents that keeps popping up
    Are you running completely stock tires?
    Meaning what?. I was thinking to just get new shocks coming from a BMW 740i i really hate the ride on this thing
    will new tires solve problem and what brand you recommend.
    Has anyone notice that your manual recommend that no more than 4% ethonal should be used but the lowest available is 10%
    i was told they can give u a starter that would'nt affect your system be sure to go to a reputable shop to do it ask Jag dealer to install one bet they would they want the service
    No I meant did you or someone else change the tire size to a lower profile type of tire or a larger diameter wheel?

Sure, tire type can change your ride. For instance, the lower profile tires I mention, and also run flats can really punish you.

How many miles? I can't imagine your shocks being dead unless the car has about 80K on it.
    I had an 03 2.5 Automatic with the 16 inch wheels - ride wasn't bad at all. First of all - check the air pressure in the tires. When mine was delivered, the dealer had 44 psi in them. After I dropped it to reccomended levels, the ride was fine. My current 06 X has the 17 inch wheels and the ride is a little harsher, but, not bad. I run 38 psi in the fronts, and, 35 in the rears. Neither car was a sport model, which has a much stiffer suspension.
    RE: The defroster vents - My 03 did the same thing. Took it to dealer and they replaced them with an improved design under warranty. Never had any more problem.
  • loriecloriec Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 04 jaguar xt last week. There is a telephone mode on the audio panel. I am curious how to activate this. I own a T mobile cell phone. Do I somehow integrate these two? Can you shed some light on this phone mode function and how to operate and activate it. thanking you in advance.
    All the X Types have the telephone stuff on the audio panel. Talk to a dealer - I think you have to buy some additional electronics to actually get it to work.
  • dap79dap79 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 02 X type and both headlights went out. Should I purchase lights from Autozone and have the dealership put them in? Or is this is a do it yourself job?
    Replacing you headlights is simple but if your not sure just ask Autozone to put them in or purchase them from a store that will put them in for you why pay the Dealer all that extra cash for no reason.
    If your listening to radio and receive a call on your regular cellphone push cellphone button on panel that will mute your car radio so you can use your phone instead of having to turn your radio down manually
    Try Ebaye for that key you might get lucky i get everything i need there.
  • lynorelynore Member Posts: 1
    We just bought a 2006 used X-type, and it has Sirius radio installed. There was no owners manual with the car, and we'd like to activate the satellite radio service. How do we switch from the standard radio to the satellite radio? We already have a Sirius account and know the steps to activate, but we can't get the satellite radio sound through the speakers.
  • daxdaddaxdad Member Posts: 3
    I purchased an 02 just today. I am feeling somewhat sheepish as I cannot locate the door lock switches.......Help
    They're the little levers located just above the door handles.

Regards:
    Oldnegineer
  • bigsmigbigsmig Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have a new 2.2 x type and i tried to set the voice recognition up, but stopped half way through.

But now all audio is muted, how do i turn the mute off

Thanks
    B :mad:
  • dcosnerdcosner Member Posts: 2
    I was wondering, with the price of gasoline, if it is totally necessary to put in premium. the octane they stated in the book, is actually higher than we have here in the states!
    also, I just found out that I need the tumbler assembly for my car because I have trouble turning the key in the ignition. they told me that it would take me 8 WEEKS to get this from England. By that time, I am sure I will be pushing the car to where I have to go!!!! :mad:
  • daxdaddaxdad Member Posts: 3
    I meant to thank you. I feel stupid... but would feel worse not ever iknowing how to use them. All the best
    Both the 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines used in the X are high compression. The 3.0 being 10.5 to 1. They need premium gas. I won't even run blended premium in mine (the 10% ethanol stuff) - it reduces my fuel economy substantially and costs the same. About your ignition lock - did you try givng it a little squirt of WD-40 in the keyhole to see if that helped.

Regards:
    OldCEM
    No problem - I've asked plently of questions of other owners on various Jag forums. It's saved me a ton of money - I'm doing almost all of the maintenance on the car myself.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • morgartmorgart Member Posts: 3
    In reference ...what are you calling premium? I just purchased a 3.0 2005. I got it from a car saleswomen who sells her jags every two years. She told me to use Shell 87. It seems to run pretty good. 23-24 in town and 29-30 on the highway. Your thoughts please.
    Where I live, premium is 93 octane gas. I won't run blended premium because it's the same price here, and, it decreases my fuel economy and performance.

Regards:
    OldCEM
  • monty2222monty2222 Member Posts: 48
    It was from a used car lot. According to carfax it was a 3 year lease in PA, had a right front accident in 2005, has 35,000 miles. I got it for $14,400. Perfect finish, engine very clean. Drove good. I noticed the pass door made a rattle when closed with the window down. They said they would tighten it up before I pick it up next week. Is this typical? I notice on all the Jags on the lot, the interior door trim panel shakes when you slam the door shut. Never see that on other cars. As a first time Jag owner would appreciate any tips. Oh, the chrome trim around the side windows is like a corroded look, not shiny. Bumper trim is fine. He said it is a known issue with aluminum trim on this car and he has known the dealer to replace it free. Is there a recall (silent recall)? I have to check the vin with the dealer, it may be under warranty till november.
    I have a 04 XT and my doors also rattle when the windows are down. My vehicle wasn't even in any accidents. So it must just be the way they are built. I can say, it scared me the first time I heard it. I thought the window broke. My chrome seems fine, just the front grill has a nasty scratch. Seems like you got a nice car for a nice price!
    I have been driving my 04 XT for 7 months now. I absolutely love it. The performance is superb. I did some research prior to purchase and noticed alot of issues with the transmission of the 01-03 years. But I didn't see any problems with the 04. I got a 3 year warrenty when I bought it - It is through Fidelity - and cost 1684.00. The dealership paid for it as part of the deal - so far I haven't had to use it.
  • dfciiidfciii Member Posts: 12
    anytime you run an engine above 3000 rpm, your MPG's will suck. Mine runs around 2400 at 73MPH, and i get 25 MPG. So it is really your choice, but i would say keep it under 3000 and you should get the best of both worlds
  • jtoonjtoon Member Posts: 1
    How do you reprogram the fob's had a 06 for a month & just noticed that the key fob won't lock or unlock the door's.
    my 54 plate diesel both fobs kept playing up , after many returns to stratstone in luton they found that the fobs had to have a gel put in them theyve been fine since, apparently a common fault with the fobs , if you have it in your pocket it does something to it static or something, but is fine now, i sugest a return to a dealer, and have a jolly good moan ,
    take it back to the dealers, yourfobs may need packing with a gel, to stop them playing up, mine did it and several returns to the dealer . stratstone in luton, they finally told me its a common fault and its cured now the fobs have been packed with a gel, theyve been fine since,
  • mikewmsmikewms Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 X-type and the only speakers that work are the 1" speakers. The 6" speakers and the subwoofer have no output.
  • mikewmsmikewms Member Posts: 4
    Hello all,
    I recently purchased a 2002 X-type 3.0. I think that I am going to get to like it. Being a Beamerhead for the past 25 years, I thought I would try a Jag.
    However, the car had several problems, this is the story 1 of 2;

I went to AUTOZONE and rented the DTC reader for a few days
    1. It had the dtc of p0171, p0174, check engine light on and cruise not available

I searched around the forums for solutions. (You guys are sharp!)

I then broke out my can of starting fluid, started the engine and begin to spray. I sprayed the IMTs, the pipe to the brake booster, the other hose that comes off top of the throttle body (TB) and the PVC hose, to no avail.

So I removed the TB to take a look around and WALLA! There laying on the rear valve cover was a SMASHED PIPE (repaired by inserting both ends into a section of gas line). The TB was not properly installed, instead of being secured to the lower mount (on the side of the valve cover) it was all the way down, pinning the pipe between itself and the valve cover. After reassembly, I cleared the codes, drive it for a few days with no problem.

I then returned the DTC reader back to Autozone. While there I figured I would get a can of Seabreeeze to clean my injectors. I filled the car up with premium gas and added the Seabreeze.

Later that evening, I had to fly out of town and it’s approximately 50 mile trip to the airport, so off I went. During the trip the check engine light came on. I noticed no difference in the car’s performance.

Upon my return home, I went to Autozone to have the codes read and there were p0300, p0301, p0302, p0303, p0305, p0420, p0430 and p1316.
    With this combination of codes indicating a misfire and NO p0304, I figured that this was caused by the Seabreeze (injector cleaning). Is my logic sound?
    The car runs smooth
    Because of a lawsuit Autozone can’t reset or rent the DTC Reader tool. The person that rented me the tool before was reprimanded.
    Anyway, MY PROBLEM IS – HOW DO YOU CLEAR THE DTC CODES AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT WITHOUT A TOOL?
    I have:
    1.tried removing the negative battery terminal for more than an hour
    2.tried removing F32 from the fuse box under the hood
    3.tried the reset / trip reset button (never got the timing right)
    4.have cold started the car more than 10 times

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Mike L.
    you can try this it worked for me i couldnt get my check engine light to go off and by accident i used the key toopen the door instead of the remote and the damn light never came back