Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar XJ-Series Electrical Glitches

Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
edited September 2014 in Jaguar
Any stubborn electrical issues on your XJ that you'd like to ask about? Post your questions here:

Comments

• jagmadjagmad Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 1995 XJR 4.0 ltr X300 series. For some time now it has had an intermittent clicking noise from what sounds like a relay on the left hand side of the consul. It seems to be speed related as it seemed to happen once the throttle got a bit stiffer. I lubricated the throttle control body & it still did it. Today it actually stopped totally after the gearbox warrning light came on. This light has come on before very rarely but has never seemed to effect the driving,I know that it is supposed to limp home but it drives fine. If you have any suggestions or thoughts it would be greatly appreciated as I love this car & it is a shame to have this click be so annoying. I can only drive with radio at a certain volume?? Regards, Bruce
  • lilbedelilbede Member Posts: 1
    i have a 1999 supercharge and i dont have a book i need to know if someone can help me to find out what the codes mean
    i am a woman who needs help
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Did you try Googling the code? What are the codes you are after?
  • delboygem1delboygem1 Member Posts: 1
    hi anyone got any ideas i have a x300 3.2 and if its not driven for a length of time it wont start in park you have to put it in newtral and wiggle the stick around then it starts!!anyone know a quick fix as i want to sell it or i have been told theres a selinoid you can adjust anyone know where or how or has anyone got a replacement they want to sell?thanks ian :cry:
  • tibimakaitibimakai Member Posts: 5
    The transmission connector has a bad connection and then it enters in limp home mode. You don't have gears, only third gear until you stop it and restart it. Check your trans mounts, excessive movement can cause problems with that connector(it is located on the driver's side of the trans).

Manuals you can buy from Ebay.
    I bought mine for $36.(the whole leather binder with all the manuals)
  • rekrabrekrab Member Posts: 1
    Regarding my 1998 XJ8: I have 3 electrical issues, and have been told by the local electrical shop that they are all caused by a faulty computer. 1. The ignition switch does not activate in 3 tries out of 4. Starter checks out ok. 2. Seat does not automatically adjust to set position when car is cranked. All other memory components work fine. 3. Doors lock and then immediately unlock when the plunger is pressed. To lock doors, it is necessary to use the key or the FOB. If this is computer-related, what is the best way to get a good repair done with the least expense? Also, do you have any idea how to get the right part number, if it is a computer that I need? Thanks, Jim in FL
  • fduboisfdubois Member Posts: 9
    Driving a friends 2004 XJR today when yellow light and Air suspension fault message comes on. Checked fuse and its OK. Anyone ever seen this before? Thanks, Frank
  • madonnadjmadonnadj Member Posts: 11
    We just yesterday purchased a XJ8 1999.

We had windows tinted. There was water dampness inside car from process.

On way home, one window automatically went down anf the steering wheel moved.

Returned and dealer said it would be okay when it dried out.

Today it is still doing these things.

Has damage been done? If not, what should or can be done?

Taking it back tomorrow to dealer.

Appreciate your direction.
  • gbumpersgbumpers Member Posts: 1
    unable to find wiring diagram or repair manual for this model? any help?
    battery drains down over-night. belts squeal when first started each morning. battry (amp) guage shows charging.
    eventually goes away after driving.
    FIN control module has been replaced??
    belts are new & tight.
  • reichmanreichman Member Posts: 1
    i have just purchased a p reg jag 3.2 exec i have an original key fob but was given another better one but the better one is not tuned in how do i do this please anyone thanks archie
    Go to E-Bay. I found a CD for this there. $14+
    I am having chimes go off while I am driving down the road.

Five chimes five times.

I have a light out on the rear-deck light.

Could this be it?

Help !!
  • adougadoug Member Posts: 6
    I am thinking of buying a 1999-2003 Jaguar XJ8 but have reservations because of the posts I have seen on this board. Can anyone tell me what to expect? I would appreciate any replies.
  • nmc1950nmc1950 Member Posts: 3
    Hi. I have a 2008 XJ VDP. My parking sensors on the front bumper are extremely sensitive. I pick up traffic as it moves in front of and along the front edge of the bumper as cars turn in front of me while stopped. Does anyone know if they can be adjusted to be less sensitive. Thanks Neil
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    I assume they were the same way as the rovers and if they do there is a software patch that reduces the sensitivity of the sensors. Call your dealer and ask about it.
  • nmc1950nmc1950 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try.
  • donj38618donj38618 Member Posts: 1
    Several months ago my blowers would stop working when running on low speed, but they would come back on and run without quitting when switched to medium. A few months later, they would stop running on medium but would run when switched to high. If turned off, they would have to be switched on several times before they would come on, but if left on between uses of the car, they would begin running when the ignition switch was turned on. Then more recently they will not run at all no matter what I do. Do you know a solution for this problem?
  • kbeerdenkbeerden Member Posts: 4
    Can any one point me in the right direction, I have a 2000 xj8 and the front drivers window is stuck up.I hear a clicking noise when I push the button but no movement, I have changed the switch and even plug the connection to a differant motor and still no movement,Strange thing my sun roof will not remain open and will close on it own after a few seconds ,are these problems related?
    If you hear a clicking that is electrical (light click) and coming from the relay box, you could have a bad relay. You'd have to check your owner's manual to see if that relay also operates your sun roof, to determine if there is a connection between these two malfunctions.

If the clicking you hear is deep with the door, and a heavier mechanical clicking, then I would say (like skipping teeth on a wheel, a sound you can probably feel with your hand against the panel) ) that your window regulator is broken and that there is no relation to the sunroof.

Visiting Host
  • deadjagdeadjag Member Posts: 8
    I drove home in a bad electrical storm. Everything worked OK while driving. Next day I tried to startup. Dashlights, audio tones, and interior lights come on but engine just clicks. I get two system messages: 1) check engine and 2) stability control. Checked battery and have 11 volts -- seems OK. Also tried to jumpstart to no avail. I also turned traction control to 'off'. Still get same result -- just an electrical 'click' and 'check engine' message. Seems like I need to reset stability control or check engine in order to start. Any ideas out there? Bob in Chancellorsville :(
  • kennybeekennybee Member Posts: 1
    don
    PLEASE tell me that you found the (an) answer to this problem with the blowers. I have the exact problem just as you described it and as a result I have no a/c in my 1990 Jaguar xj6. Local dealer is no help and wants a fortune to just diagnose the problem.
  • monkamahmonkamah Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same problems w/ my 2000 XJ8. Did you ever get this resolved? Mine has been in the shop for 3 wks now, in and out...mostly in. I started out just trying to get the module fixed in the rt rear door so the window would work. What a nightmare this has been.

My problems are: 1. The ignition switch does not activate . 2. Seat does not automatically adjust to set position when car is cranked. 3. Doors lock and then immediately unlock when the plunger is pressed. To lock doors, it is necessary to use the key or the FOB.

This guy only has a few hours left before I hang him from the highest tree. Thanks for you help.
    Hi
    I did work out my problems, I change the front right door module. This module is the main brain for all of those items. Was a bit costly, over $300.00, easy to change. Make sure you get one with the right code the dealer can not reprogram the module. The code can be found on a sticker under the trunk matt on thr lift side, it will start with DDM ######## and don't buy a use one I tried that and just wasted money. Hope this works out sounds like the same problems I was having
    My problem turned out to be a bad battery which I replaced. I had tested the battery voltage which was OK but the amperage was not enough to turn the starter. (IThe battery was original equipment so I should have known!) In the process of finding this out someone told me how to reset the computer. Don't know if this would help you but apparently if you remove the black (negative) connection strap from the battery for 10 minutes, then reconnect, it will reset the computer. Good luck.
  • monkamahmonkamah Member Posts: 2
    Just replaced a module in the back rt rear door and I'm moduled out! Sheesh! If I do it is it a tough job?

Will the battery cause everything to go fritz on the car...?
    1) doors won't lock when pushed down
    2) interior lights stayed on
    3) seat won't set properly
    4) **and it won't start...

Also, mechanic replaced the back door module w/ a used part that he swore would work. This guys been there for 26 years and I thought he might know what he was talking about.

Thanks, guys...I'm about to lose my rosy disposition over this.
  • gene37gene37 Member Posts: 11
    Four years ago, had a starting problem on this one. Would not start unless starting amps were topped out with a booster. Soln: cleaned oil from ignition module, replaced coil and distributor. No problem last four years.

Now, same problem again. Cleaning module did not solve problem this time. Questi
    on:::: should I replace the module??? coil??? other???

Other info: Starter turns over engine briskly. "Occasionally" I can get it star†ed by topping out the battery charge, and putting a battery booster on it, about 1 in 4 attempts. Runs great once started. (Until next attempt to start). Comments appreciated.
  • scottthornscottthorn Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 XJ8L and love the way it looks - I just wish I could drive it. It won't start. My mechanic (not a Jag expert, but honest and good with cars generally) has been trying to figure it out, and is close to concluding the GEM module needs to be replaced at a Jaguar dealer, with a likely cost in the THOUSANDS of dollars. I only paid $6,500 for the car a year ago.

When I said it won't start - everything lights up when the ignition is switched on, but when I turn the key all the way, nothing happens. I mean nothing. No sound at all, no engine turning over, no starter sounds, not even any clicking of relays. Absolute silence. Is it the GEM? Will it cost thousands of dollars? Can't we just cross a wire somewhere and bypass all this electronic crap?
    Mine is a 99 XJ8. My starting problem turned out to be the battery. I had tested it with a meter and it had about 12 volts so I moved onto other problems, wasting time and money. Problem was that, although the voltage was OK, the amperage wasn't enough to crank the starter. If you have an original Jaguar battery (white color) and it's more than 3-4 years old, it's probably shot. Another possibility is the computer needs to be reset which can be done by removing the + battery strap for 15 minutes then reconnecting it. Good luck.

Deadjag
    Good advice. Unless you "load test" a battery, just measuring voltage at rest doesn't tell you much about it's condition. And that's true, most batteries are pretty tired after 4 years of use. Some go longer but on average 4-5 years is plenty for optimum performance.
  • scottthornscottthorn Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to both you and Mr. Shiftright for the responses. The battery had died back in February. That was weird. The engine would turn over and over, but never start. We thought maybe it was a fuel pump problem! But it was just the weak battery. Replaced it and everything was fine. For a while after that, I would try to start it and nothing would happen. Then I could switch it off, immediately try it again, and it would start right up. Or sometimes I would have to turn the key off and on two or three times before it would finally crank. That's what made me think it was some sort of simple relay switch problem. Obviously, the last time it happened, turning it off and on didn't work after trying it 20-30 times.

It will be interesting to try disconnecting the battery though and let the computer reset. Thanks for that one.
  • eurobabeeurobabe Member Posts: 2
    I turned the key on and motor does not turn over. I had to pull fuse on windshield wiper because would not turn off. any ideas? Thanks Doug
    I would put the fuse back in to see if the wiper starts. Could be as simple as a bad battery caused by a short or ground in the wiper assembly/motor. This might have continued to discharge the battery even though the wiper stopped when the fuse was pulled. If this were true, it may have discharged the battery below its ability to crank the engine. If the battery is relatively new, should be able to jumpstart after letting it charge up for awhile. But, if the cause is a short or ground, that would have to be eliminated. Good luck.
  • Jem40Jem40 Member Posts: 1
    yes stupid me put in new battery and it was configed different from the the old one and in one second poof sparks and i disconnected it, now car won't turn over, headlights won't work,right side windows won't operate.
    This a '93 xj6 VP

Anything some can shed light on to check?

Jim :(
    I expect you've either blown some fuses, damaged the new battery or both. I personally would disconnect the battery and use a second vehicle and try to jumpstart it. Carefully connect positive to positive and negative to negative without the new battery in the circuit at all -- make sure the jumper connectors are separated and don't touch each other. If that starts the car, then the new battery is either discharged or damaged. You might also then assess whether the lights work or not. Then you could try to recharge the new battery -- it it doesn't recharge, it might be damaged.
  • missmaryquinnmissmaryquinn Member Posts: 1
    Just replace a driver's side exterior door handle done by a local jag mechanic.
    Now the window on the driver's side not working. Mechanic said he worked trying to get the window to work but no luck...wants me to purchase a new motor for the window. The window worked fine until the new handle was put on.
    Just read on another forum where someone else had the same problem but there is no response to this issue. Any ideas out there? Would dearly appreciate your information!
    Missmaryquinn
  • whitejag99whitejag99 Member Posts: 1
    Driving down road and tail lights start flashing, headlites go off, "tick tock" sound starts,windows won't work, "low windshield fluid" message, emergency flashers won't work. If I pull over and turn off car it will not start back up. Starter won't engage and shifter won't come out of park. If I let it set 10 min or so all is ok. Ideas?
  • donaldynglydonaldyngly Member Posts: 2
    My Jaguar is a 1994 XJ6. It would not start one day so I had it taken to the dealer. After $1000 they said it was fixed. (bad wire in the harness they said) Got the car home and it would not start. Cranks but no juice to coil or distributor. They will not fix the problem without charging more. Help.
  • LotusExige4meLotusExige4me Member Posts: 2
    Hello, anyone have any ideas on this subject. I have an 2006 XJ8, the windows work as long as the head lights are not on. They will not go up or down when the head light switch is in auto or in normal mode. Took to the local dealer and they have no idea, they did have a wiring diagram but the mechanic couldn't figure it out.
    I'd check the alternator output when every one of the car's accessories is on, to see how the alternator is handling high demand.
  • moredeadmoneymoredeadmoney Member Posts: 1
    i'm thinking of buying a 1984 xj6, but it has no brake lights working. is this an easy fix or is it headache waiting to happen. i've heard about electrical issues on other years, but i can't seem to find any for the 1984!
    That shouldn't be too difficult to fix. Find out where the brake light switch is (brake pedal area most likely) and then by pass it with a jumper wire. If both brake lights go on, you know the problem was the switch. If the fuse blows, or is already blown, then you have more serious issues to deal with.

If you want the best XJ6 of that body style, 85-86 could be a better choice for you since they have fuel injection, not old-fashioned carburetors. Better gas mileage and cold starts.
  • realliferamborealliferambo Member Posts: 3
    I too have the exact same problem on my 1998 xj8, the driver window will not go down and the sunroof closes a few seconds after being opened. did you ever figure the problem out?
    The problem is the drivers door modual, change it and all will be fine. Look in the trunk, under the carpet on the divers side to get the correct code for the mondual.Don't try to buy used,turns out to be a waste of money. The mondual cost almost $400. Was fairly easy to cange myself.
    Hope this helps
    Kenneth
    kbeerden@bellsouth.net
    Periodically bells will activate...five chimes, five times. No warning lights come on, etc. What is this? Maddenning!!
  • edkunkeledkunkel Member Posts: 26
    fixed under extended warranty, select edition
    I too had the same problem and Ken told me to change my driver door module. Before I did this I went out to the car and disconnected my battery for 5 minutes and reconnected and then It works great again. The sunroof works right and the window goes up and down and no more issues. No 476.73 for the door module either. Might try that first, no telling ho many fixes can be done by rebooting the computer modules and save those thousands of dollar fixes. My car also seems to get better fuel mileage now 18.4 in the city where it used to be 17.3. The battery cable was a slight bit loose. Check that also....
  • wenbywenby Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problems as kbeerden, with the addition of dash warning lights coming on when I hit a bump in the road typically at freeway speeds and I can no longer change the driver seat position with the memory button. I am curious to know if kberdeen tried disconnecting the battery as suggested and if the problems are solved. Any other advice is appreciated.
    out of curiosity, did he diconnecting work for you?
    realliferambo:
    Diconnecting battery did nothing for me,I solved my problems with changing the drivers door mondule.The correct code can be found in the trunk ,under the carpet, driver side. I tried to go cheap and buy used,Waste of money. Recommend to buy new, not cheap about $300.00. hope this helps
    Kenneth
    kbeerden@bellsouth.net
  • wenbywenby Member Posts: 2
    I haven't disconnecting the battery yet, with the odd things that are happening with the electrical system I'm concerned it might just cause another problem.
This discussion has been closed.