Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang Engine Problems

Comments

• Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Sounds like it's low on refrigerant.
  • Options
    mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    some of the o-rings are in hard to get to places.

Mark
  • Options
    clgcoach6clgcoach6 Member Posts: 1
    Ok I have a 2000 ford mustang 3.8L, and for about 3 days now my car has been making a horrible noise like a belt squealing. so i did the WD40 thing, belt dressing, soap thing, even changed my water pump, and the idler pully, the only other noise could be the alternator, or the tensioner pulley right. now that i have changed all of the other stuff, it still makes the noise, just not as bad. i'm lost and need some help. so for those of you that can lend a hand. help me please..... :cry:
  • Options
    wyldpnywyldpny Member Posts: 1
    Just wondering if anyone has experienced this problem. Yesterday while driving on the highway, the dash of my 07 Mustang lit up and I started loosing speed. As I tried to steer to the shoulder, I lost my power steering. After re starting the car I was able to get home, but the CEL remained lit. Had my mechanic look at it and was told the computer system is "kablueie" (His term not mine), should be covered under the warranty. Called the dealership and they can't look at it until next Monday. Does anyone have any insight as to what the problem could be and how serious? Thanks
  • Options
    papasam1papasam1 Member Posts: 84
    As one of the guys already said, the noise of this may come from lifters but don't confuse this with valve raddle from low grade gas. try 91 verses 87 octane and make sure that your timing is where it should be 10 to 15 BTDC. 10 is factory.
  • Options
    It will be covered under your warranty and yes sounds like a computer problem
  • Options
    First of all water does run through a factory intake but not after markets ones in most cases
  • Options
    The bendex is sticking and it now time for a rebuild or a new starter, check the teeth to see if they have been damaged.
  • Options
    I got my 83 GT in 1983 drove it for 11 years and the only time I has that problem was when the thermastat was bad and cause me to blow a head gasket. It can also cause you to blow the header core. does your 83 have a brown left side marker and dual exhaust.
  • Options
    kitt45kitt45 Member Posts: 1
    Its not normal, Ford has a TSB out on the lash adjusters, but wont warrant the work if you are out of 36K limit! Very expensive repair, its their design problem because they corrected it, supposedly, after about March 2008. You think they would own up to their mistakes! This damages rockers and cam if left unfixed. :(
  • Options
    lil_llama89lil_llama89 Member Posts: 5
    ok, so i just got a 1986 ford mustang from my grandmother, i normally wouldnt have kept it but it has sentimental value and figured as much that i might as well make this one of those project cars since im really not into classics but still wanted an older car to upgrade and stuff like that. well just recently i started leaking anti-freeze/coolant from the water pump. so i bought a new water pump, installed it which stopped the leakage. also changed the timing belts and radiator hoses, but thats besides the point. i figured that while i was at it i would go ahead an flush the radiator and get it all cleaned up. after i did that i finally added that "prestone" 50/50 anti-freese mix. unfortunately my genious of a father with his cheap ways decides to add more water to the already pre-mixed radiator fluid i had put in there. so my question is, would that be the sole reason for the mustang to start overheadting?

p.s. before and even during the leak my engine temp stayed in the middle.
    p.s. i also know its NOT the thermostat because after i ran the car, the fluid
    level depleted like it normally does after u flush it and just start adding more
    p.s. i also havent heard the "bubbling" noise nd dont see oil mixed with water
    so i dont believe its the head gasket.
  • Options
    mistang66mistang66 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 86 LX 4 cyl. (yes I know its a putt putt, but he is a cool putt putt) any way, I have had it since new and do not want to part with it (sentimental reasons) The original motor finally called it quits. I DO NOT want to replace it with another 4cyl. Sooo... the question is, is it possible to put in a better motor without having to change everything?
    I was told that i can get a bigger motor but it's cheaper to go out and buy a GT. I want to keep this one but i want it to rumble!!!!! Is it possible to do this with out making a big problem????
  • Options
    ltstiff401ltstiff401 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Mustang GT. My check engine came on for the first time. I am the second owner and she has 215,000 miles. At times when I try to start the car it will start and sometimes it may not.
  • Options
    rader1rader1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the car not starting periodically? I turned the car off and when I went to start it again, it wouldn't start. I had it looked at by a mechanic and they couldn't find anything wrong with it and said it might be in the security within the ignition? Help!
  • Options
    I am restoring my 1970 fastback from ground up been at it since sept starting to see the light and I think alot of things are going to go wrong before it's done and good day to you all. papasam
  • Options
    relocate your coil or replace it. Some times they will act like that from getting to hot and the only thing in most cases is to move it and/or replace it and still move it. The guys working on it should test the coil after it has been running for a while. papasam
  • Options
    snkeastburnsnkeastburn Member Posts: 1
    2001 mustang gt

Im having to replace my idle sensor about every three months. The problems I have when it starts to go bad is it wont idle or it will try to idle and just die. If i take a hammer and hit the sensor it will idle for a few more days and go back to not idling. Does anyone know what the problem might be and what I can do t fix it??

Thanks,

Steven
  • Options
    racin26racin26 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at a 97 Mustang with a 3.8 to but and it has a rough idle and has low power, it seems to want to stall when a load is put on it(Just idling). I was looking at it while it was running and the fan came on and the car almost stalled out. any suggestion on a fix to this so i can buy it!

Thanks for any answers
    KURT
  • Options
    bscott678bscott678 Member Posts: 1
    ive got a 87 4cyl that starts sometimes or not cranks everytime but wont catch check the fuel rail has presuure everytime dont know where to start is it in the ignition is the control module coil starting to go crazy car sits for a while and fires right up somebody help before i go after with a bat
  • Options
    princess10princess10 Member Posts: 1
    While I don't have an answer, I would like to add that my 99 mustang is doing the same thing. It squeals for days, and then as I'm about to take it in to have it looked at, the squealing stops. I waiting to see if it starts again. It only seems to squeal for a short time after I first start it, then kind of disappears as I'm driving.
  • Options
    badpony02badpony02 Member Posts: 2
    Having an odd problem with a 90K mile 02 mustang...engine suddenly developed a "miss" on acceleration...changed fuel filter, new plugs and wires....no help...went to my mechanic who put it oncomputer....everything cks out normal....he is stumped. Thinks it might be more than one item. Any ideas...? Similar thing happened 4-5 yrs ago and the factory replaced the computer?

Thanks
  • Options
    mikey_c2mikey_c2 Member Posts: 1
    So this has happened to me maybe three, four times in the last two months. I would stop and go into 7-11, or walmart, or pickup pizza, and be in there for like 5 minutes. Come back out and my car won't start. It sounds as if its just not getting enough gas, it tries to start, and shows promise for about 1-2 seconds, but then stalls. However, if i wait about 20 minutes it will start right up like it never happened. What is the deal? Please help.
  • Options
    sounds like you have a bad coil, when its gets hot it will stop firing and 20 mins or so it may start. take a look at your coil.
  • Options
    Sounds like vapor lock but I didn't think that was possible with fuel injection. I don't think a bad coil would prevent it from starting. Next time try putting the accelerator all the way to the floor while cranking.
  • Options
    A bad coil will do just what I said and the way that I said it. If the car is flooded then putting the accelerator on the floor may have done the trick but not in this case.
  • Options
    Sorry, I just realized I was in the mustang forum, not the LS forum. When you said coil I thought you meant Coil on Plug - one cylinder - and there's no way that would cause a no-start. If you're talking about a single coil or coil pack then I can see that.
  • Options
    I to own an LS and have been a member LLSOC since 01/05 member number 5505. 2004 LSE VIVID RED
  • Options
    badpony02badpony02 Member Posts: 2
    Found the problem to my 02 Mustang "miss"...apparently a fairly common fault with the 3.8L V6 is bad coil packs...they often do not show up all the time on computer....if your having problems give this a try...Good luck
  • Options
    archie45archie45 Member Posts: 2
    the beindix on the starter is most likely the problem
  • Options
    archie45archie45 Member Posts: 2
    the bendix on the starter is most likely the problem
  • Options
    car1loscar1los Member Posts: 4
    hello everyone!!! i got a mustang 04 GT for the last 4times i gone out for a cruise i have accelerated the car but when i slow down like at a light starts to hesitate and turns off, i have to wait like 20mins and will start again!! this car has a coil for each plug so i don't think is that. any suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would appreciate any input before i take it to the dealer.. thank you.
  • Options
    Sounds like your mass air sensor needs to be cleaned and you can do that with carb cleaner. Spray it across the wire in the sensor. Second the fuel filter could need to be changed some times it will cause what you are having by filling with trash from the tank then after a few minute will settle to the bottom of the filter then the fuel will flow. Third this problem you need to check soon because a bad filter will cause your fuel pump to go bad.
  • Options
    sounds like a bad coil
  • Options
    thanks i will look into that first,before the next step.my car has nos and someone said that when it got installed they might have mess with a sensor but it has work find for a yr at least so i don't think is that.but once again that you for all the input.
  • Options
    If your mechanic thinks that a sensor could be bad talk his word for it. All of us that work on these cars are aware that we can make a mistake and in our on way will give the owner a heads up about the the mistake, the owners put be aware of what is being said.
  • Options
    Sound almost like your tentioner is bad, the same thing happened to my 1997 thunder bird.
  • Options
    once again thank you all for you're suggestions, i clean the mass air flow sensor changed the fuel filter,but it help a tiny bit but am back to step one. i went out fri ran the car and when i came to a stop stalled on me!!! but the good thing is that i just sit for about 20mins and will start again, it did that like 4 times, lucky i made it home. any other suggestions welcome but i yhink am taking it to a mustang shop. maybe they can figure it with a dyno test?
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    you might need a new serpentine belt.
    you put a wrench on a bolt on the tensioner. it should require a fair amount of force to release the tension on the belt.
    this is with engine off of course.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    thank you for you're suggestion,i hope is nothing big, i was heading to drop the car at the shop when it turn off on me, this time it would not start i had to get it tow to the dealer. i will know what the real problems is, it just sucks cause you know how dealers will try to screw you, but oh well its done.

thank you.
  • Options
    grandall50grandall50 Member Posts: 1
    Took our 02' Mustang in because when we started the engine it ran fine for about 5 seconds and then it began to idle very low and the whole care was shuddering. The check engine light came on.

I got it to the mechanic and he found that one of the cylinders was losing it's spark and at the same time the computer was shutting down the injector for that cylinder. The computer was not able to communicate the problem though. It doesn't seem to know that it's doing it. They've had the car a week and can't find what is causing it.

Anybody have a clue what might be happening?
  • Options
    stantheman123stantheman123 Member Posts: 4
    anyone with problem of engines blowing, driving on hiway notices over heating pulled over riht away got towed to machanics , checked it out wouldnt hold any pressurer, says anti freeze blew threw the engine need new engine what would chase this problem had everything done all the time oil changes ect, ect, anyone no thanks
  • Options
    Sounds like it overheated and blew the head gasket and/or warped the head. Either way that shouldn't require a new engine. What caused it to overheat?
  • Options
    dont know mechanic did compression test on#1 cylinder & #4 it was reading 81 psi he said there was know point in doing ant more on it- engine toast, do you think i should go ahead and see whats wrong thanks Stan
  • Options
    If he said the engine was toast just because of a blown head gasket (which caused the compression leak) then get another mechanic because he's an idiot. You just need new head gaskets and to check the head to make sure it isn't warped or cracked. Not cheap but nowhere near a new engine.

First you need to fix whatever caused it to overheat or it will happen again.
  • Options
    thanks alot kirby for all your help you dont know how much better i feel now noing itcould just be gaskets.what do you think caused it ? thanks stan
  • Options
    The blown head gaskets were caused by the overheating. As to what caused the overheating - could be a lot of things. Stuck thermostat (new ones are designed to fail in the open position but it could have stuck closed), coolant leak, busted hose, water pump, etc. That's easy enough to fix after you get the engine fixed - just make sure it's fixed and keep a close eye on the temp gauge for a few days to make sure. If it starts to overheat, stop it immediately and never put cold water in a hot engine if you can avoid it - let it cool down as much as possible to avoid warping the heads.
  • Options
    forgot to tell you they tried to build up air pressurethrough the rad it would not build up you could here air leaks on the drivers side of the engine
  • Options
    As has been said in other replies sounds like a head gasket or a freeze plug and no there would not be pressure builded up. Fine out why the overhead have the head decked put the engine back together and don't let some one sale you a engine unless they can show you why (the broken parts). do you have allum heads? was he testing your engine or radiator sounds like someone looking to get paid.
  • Options
    That could just be from the blown head gasket. The head gasket is what separates the coolant from the moving parts of the engine. When it blows it allows coolant and air to pass back and forth. The air you hear is probably coming out of open valves into the intake manifold or out the spark plug hole if those were removed. Just have them check it when they take the heads off to make sure the block and heads are ok and not cracked or leaking.
  • Options
    soapywatsonsoapywatson Member Posts: 1
    Hope someone can help me. My Mustang has just started making a sort of high pitched whistle noise from, I believe, the front of the engine. Perhaps from one of the wheels connected by the serpentine accessories belt. It increases in intensity when I rev the engine and seems to lessen when the engine is fully warmed up. I have 28,000 miles in the car and I intend to change the belt, but I just don't think that is the problem. Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas? Cheers.