Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

Comments

• corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Hello hailofaguy,
    Code 12 means that the battery was disconnected within the last 50 starts. This is normal if battery was disconnected. If not have the battery tested and check both cables.
    Code 31 refers to evap solenoid circuit. Check for loose, broken, or shorted wires in the charcoal cannister solenoid wiring and connectors.
    Code 55 means end of message
    Corkscrew
  • cabover30cabover30 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you Corkscrew, I had Pep Boys pull the codes and they found two, P0125 which is a closed loop temp not reached, and P1693 which I was told was just a general fault. Since the engine light has come on, my temp gauge has not moved off of 140. Do you think this is a stuck open thermostat or is it a temp sensor? I would think that if the thermostat is stuck open the temp would still come up off 140 after several miles and it is not.
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    Feel your top radiator hose...if it is hot, your thermostat is opening. Better yet, have Pep Boys/autozone/etc shoot top and bottom hose with a temp gun and see if they are somewhat close in temp.
  • hailofaguyhailofaguy Member Posts: 2
    Canister and wires all look fine so we took it into the dealership and they hooked it up to the scanner for free. The code showed P0441 Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow. Doing the ignition on/off test showed code 31 which seems to point to the same thing. Either way they felt it was the purge solenoid on top of the engine. Part is ordered, well see if that fixes it when it comes in. :sick:

Thanks for the advice.
    P0125= This should help: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0125
    Corkscrew
  • cabover30cabover30 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you again corkscrew. I replaced the thermostat yesterday but my temp gauge is still stuck at 140. I think it must be the temp sensor. Is the temp sensor located right next to the thermostat? I see an electronic device that screws into the block right there.

Also, after I get this problem fixed, will the check engine light automatically go off or will I need to have it reset?
    That "electronic device" you refer to is both the sensor and sender.After you replace it I would have it reset and see if code P1693 goes away as well.
    Corkscrew
  • fuhquefuhque Member Posts: 3
    I have an '02 dodge ram 1500 2wd, standard tran. I had it in to get some rear end work done and when I picked it up and drove away the speedometer stopped working, the ABS light came on, the ebrake light, and it kept stalling. So I took it back and my speed sensor was shot. So they replaced that, thought everything was ok, then all of a sudden the lights came back on the speedometer works but it bounces between speeds irratically, and my check engine light came on. The only thing it solved was the stalling. They said I had to reset my computer but they didn't know how? Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • goaliegoalie Member Posts: 16
    Crap Truck? Don't blame the truck....blame the owner who took it to some fly-by-night mechanic......they obviously haven't a clue. Rear end work? Thats a new one.....They disturbed/damaged your rear diff. speed sensor. They replaced it? How did they know it was shot? if they don't have a code reader, which, by the way, also clears all trouble codes. You need to take your Dodge to a reputable mechanic/shop....that road tests your truck, and doesn't charge you until they are sure its properly repaired, and warranty their work for a minimum 30 days. Clowns like that give licensed mechanics a bad rap.....and questions like this only clutter this forum.
  • tytulatytula Member Posts: 4
    ihave 4 codes popping up and iwonder if anyone knows what they may be.... p2509,p0521,p1755,p0524
  • fuhquefuhque Member Posts: 3
    First of a seal went and I lost all my fluid, so my bearings seized in my rear end... hence rear end work????? Then they hooked up a code reader and found out that the speed sensor was gone.. so they replaced it. Now the lights and stuff still come on and the code that they got was to reset the computer... his machine doesn't reset it and he wasn't sure why?
    Sorry my dihlema doesn't amuse you and I prefer not to take to a place that charges an arm and a leg to fix that why I thought some one on here might have an explanation. Clutter up this forum... Excuse ME!
  • kb500kb500 Member Posts: 4
    Hey,
    Crap Truck looks like you got a hold of a ASE mecAneck or "Goalie" had a problem like yours. This is a forum to ask ?s and hopefully get answers, not a put you down and ridicule people place. I don't say much on this forum but when I see somebody like this "goalie" %$%^^^^%, remember everybody likes a little A%%, but nobody LIKES A , well you know the rest. If you live in glass house DO NOT, repeat DO NOT, throw rocks. I think Edmuns should get rid of MR. PERFECT so that he doesn't CLUTTER THE FORUM WITH HIS WORTHLESS INFO. I agree with you, besides I've seen plenty of bad fixs by certified, experienced, and OVERPAID mechanics. If I had a fix for you I sure would help. MAYBE GOALIE GOTS THE ANSWER. Good luck, remember if you aint HELPIN YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

kb500
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Keep the trash talk to yourselves, please.

goalie, you are not the person to decide what gets posted here... I am.

kb500, you don't need to make it worse by replying.

Understood?

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • dmckeildmckeil Member Posts: 1
    A warning light just came on in my 07 laramine and now its idiling up and down and my command start will only run for about 10 seconds then shut down i checked the gas cap and tried to get the code to pop up when turning the egnition off on off on off on and still the warning light is on. Truck is a 07 4by4
  • johnnnyojohnnnyo Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I performed the actuator test on my 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 and got this code. (INSTRUMENT CLUSTER FAILURE MESSAGE) AC 10 = ABS messages not received. Anyone know where to start to correct this problem?
    Thanks
    Hi all,
    My engine light came on my 2004 dodge ram 2500 5.7 Hemi so I did an OBD test with my scanner and got the U0155 message which means lost communication between the PCM and CCN so I performed the actuator test (dash cluster test) and got this instrument cluster failure message code AC 10 it means ABS messages not received. Anyone know where to start to correct this problem?
    Thanks
    Sorry for the double post. wanted to explain the situation a little better.
  • charger06charger06 Member Posts: 1
    my 97 ram had #6 plug wire burned off at the plug end of the wire, i got a P0306 code, replaced wires, ran ok for 1 day, then got P0306 AGAIN. changed plugs, all ign wires, cap, rotor. ran ok 1 day, then P0306 returned. i get an occassional P0300 as well. i swapped #6 injector out, still gettin #6 misfire. i rerouted ign wires in accordance with dodge tsb, added convolute to wires, but still getting almost steady P0306, but misfire is not 100% steady. it fluctuates from running smooth, to violently bucking so bad im afraid crankshaft is gonna snap. i get the check engine death flash as soon as i hit highway speed, and its always P0306. pulled plug and its dry/clean. like i said, swapping injector did nothing, and misfire is not steady, but kinda random. at idle, i can hear the misfire every cpl of seconds, as a drop in exhaust sound. cap, rotor, plugs, wires, injectors, plug wire routing, and still #6 misfire. HELP!!!!!
    Hope these help, check for a vacuum leak.
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0306
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300
    Corkscrew
  • ab9usaab9usa Member Posts: 2
    OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR FAILED. P0720. MY DODGE MANUAL DOES NOT LIST IT, NOR SHOW LOCATION. i CAN BUY A NEW ONE FOM AUTO ZONE BUT I NEED TO KNOW LOCATION ON THE VEHICLE.
  • ab9usaab9usa Member Posts: 2
    CHECK ENGINE LIGHT OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR FAILED. PO720.

WHERE IS IT LOCATED ON THE VEHICLE?
    On top front of differential , slightly forward of center. There may also be one on the tranny tail shaft, the most rearward sensor. bobwinner
  • duckdodgeduckdodge Member Posts: 3
    Engine light came on, code po405 EGR sensor A circ. low voltage. Went to NAPA they said new egr was the fix. I changed it and cleared the code, but it came right back. Does anyone know what is causing the low voltage?
    There is a tsb on your problem ( TSB 18-027-07 ) which involves erasing and reprograming some part of the PCM with new software. Check to see if it applies to your truck.
    Corkscrew
  • malachi4_6malachi4_6 Member Posts: 5
    I had a problem with my dodge ram van once, similar to yours and was my alternator. You might want to check it.
    thanks for the response. I'm not familiar with TSB. Is that a recall or something?
    Funny you should mention that because I've noticed the gauge seems kinda high sometimes, but no symptoms ever occur. Then when I was changing the EGR, I noticed the alt. was really hot even though I let it cool long enough to work on the exhaust.
  • erichbeifusserichbeifuss Member Posts: 3
    having trouble figuring out what engine code P0113 means and how to repair it
    TSB is short for technical service bulletin. They explain how a problem is to be fixed. Some are information only bulletins. Your local dealer will tell you if your truck falls under this TSB
    Do a google search on the TSB number and you will see the vehicles affected and the procedure the tech uses to repair that problem.
    I have this TSB listed for 2006 and 2007 rams so keep the alternator in mind while diagnosing your problem.
    Corkscrew
    This should help:
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0113
    Corkscrew
  • scan1825scan1825 Member Posts: 1
    I steamcleaned my 2002 Ram 1500 4.7 this weekend. Truck ran fine before. It seem like something got wet and now it missfires really bad. This happened before but not as bad as this time. Where should i start checking. Engine light came on and will flash from time to time. Somebody please help!!!!!!!!!!!
  • john6105john6105 Member Posts: 3
    l have a Dodge 1500 SLT 4.7. code p0300 came up. When the truck has been sitting for sometime and l start it. The ideal is rough. when moving the truck feels like its not getting any gas, it hastiest and shacks. After the truck warms up, 10 to 15min, everything is good?????
    P0300
    Random Misfire Detected

I would check the plugs and clean or replace them.
    edited March 2010
    Idle the engine at night, in a place where it's very dark. look for sparks arcing from plug wires to ground. If you see arcing change the plug wires. Hope this link helps:
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300
    Corkscrew
    I have a 05, 1500, 4.7 Ram. The two lines coming out of my transmission are metal. They connect to rubber hoes, then back to metal and inter the rad. At the point where they connect from metal to rubber,they leaks bad. How do l change them, can l do it myself?
    Thank you, I changed the plugs and it worked. the truck is running good now!
    You can do it yourself. Just buy new rubber lines, and DOUBLE hose clamp them. Get rubber lines that stand up to oil/hydraulic fluid as radiator or water lines disintergrate.
  • staypuft87staypuft87 Member Posts: 3
    my check engine light recently came on, and i was wondering if there is a sequence i can do to get the truck to give me the code, any info would be awesome thank you
    I am not sure about the 2005, but on the older trucks, turn the key on and off 3 times in quick succession, then leave key on and codes will flash. just count the flashes. bobwinner
    ok i did that, and it took the odometer, to where it was just - - - - - - - and then it said
    - - d o n e- - so i took it to napa today, and all their code reader would do is say error, it doesnt seem to be getting worse, but i cant find out whats wrong with it. kinda irritating if a know what i mean. :mad:
    Most codes can be read in the manner that bobwinner said. On your truck the codes will appear as a P---- code in the odometer with "done" meaning the system is finished displaying codes. Some of these codes can only be read by the DRBIII scan tool which, unfortunately, means a trip to the dealer unless you know someone who has a high end reader.
    Corkscrew
    ok i finally found a code reader that gave me a little info. it said cylinder 3 misfire?? and 02s, EGR, CAT, but then once i went to earase all codes, and start over, it shut the reader down, and wouldnt let it re run the scan, is my truck that messed up?? :mad:
    edited April 2010
    Here is some info on cyl 3:
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0303, as for 02s and egr I need the specific P code to give you more info and if you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust then you have a problem with the cat. Sorry but I would need to be there to check the reader. Pep Boys and Auto Zone will check codes for free.
    Corkscrew
    With regard to the reader, check for a blown fuse, they tell me that it may be on the circuit with the cigar lighter.
    Corkscrew
  • scoopyexscoopyex Member Posts: 31
    07 Ram 1500 SLT 4X2 4.7 545RFE -

Today I drove to the coffee shop two minutes down the road from work. I was in the coffee shop for like 3 minutes, and when I got back into my truck and tried to start it nothing happened. My truck has Tip-Start, and no matter what I tried to do, it wouldn't do anything... no crank at all. The yellow check engine light was illuminated, so I opened up the hood and checked all the fluid levels. This is the first time the truck has given me any trouble at barely 300 miles away from it's first 50K. As soon as I got back into the truck and tipped the ignition switch, it started right up as it normally does.

Is it possible the relay that actually powers the starter is going to belly up and it's blowing a code because the ecm isn't sensing power when I tip the ignition switch to start the truck?

Thanks!
  • stanoskistanoski Member Posts: 76
    This happened to me a few times too on my 07. It simply wouldnt work for some reason? Started working again though and not sure what fixed it? Try disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and re hook it up, that might reset the computer.

Ski in TX
  • jmacy1jmacy1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 5.9lt diesel. Recently the ABS and Brake light come on and off intermittently. What is this caused from and can it be reset. When cycling the ignition no error code is displayed. :cry:
    If you also notice some fluctuation in your speedometer when the lights come on, it's likely your speed sensor (located on the rear differential). Usually a quick fix.

• jmacy1jmacy1 Member Posts: 2
    I haven't noticed a fluctuation in the speedo. I'll have to keep on eye on it and see if does. Any idea what else it migh be. Thanks for the replay.
    If you're not noticing any brake issues and the brake fluid looks good, the sensor is the most likely culprit.

• fisherofmenfisherofmen Member Posts: 3
    I have a Ram 1500 with a 4.7, it is and always has run very good. I have been very satisfied with my truck which I don't plan on parting with anytime soon. Well I got in it the other day and the check engine light came on. I took it to my wife uncle who scanned it and told me he had never seen this code before, it read
    601 Internal Control Module Memory Check-Sum Error. any ideas. The truck has about 168,000 miles on the clock.