Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Warning Lights and Trouble Codes

123457»

Comments

• dodgetrukluvrdodgetrukluvr Member Posts: 1
    My 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 beeps 4-times every time I turn on the ignition ... why?
  • deangle45deangle45 Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 beeps 4 times as well after starting, would really like to know what it's trying to tell us, any help thanks?
  • jpbledsoejpbledsoe Member Posts: 20
    A guess: Maybe there's a failue in a warning input to the computer(s). For example, maybe it thinks one of the seat belts should be buckled but isn't. In that case, you might have a bad seat switch, the switch that senses presence of a person.

If you've checked the owner's manual and checked with the dealer, try a general web search.

Other options: Find a Chilton's (or similar) maintenance manual for your van at your local library or buy one at an auto parts store or online. You could also subscribe for maintenance data for your vehicle at http://www.alldatadiy.com .

Jeff
    Thanks for the response,

Web search brought me hear and I was hoping to find out the problem online without bringing it in to the dealer.

What's odd about the beeps is that they are long 4 second beeps with a 2-3 second pause in between not like the short ding ding of a seat belt not on.

If anyone has had this same issue I would love to hear how you resolved it.

Thanks again.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Does the beeping occur while you have your foot on the brake? If so, check for a burnt tail light bulb.

Corkscrew
    Nope that's not it actually just had the truck safety'd so all lights turn signals etc are working so i'm still puzzled.

When I figure this out i'll be sure to post back here what the problem was.

Cheers
  • azmike4azmike4 Member Posts: 2
    On my 2007 cummings I keep seeing a symble on the dash that looks like a coil wire. It goes off after I start the engine. The needle on the altenator drops down to about 8 amps and then comes back up to over 14 amps. any idea?
  • azmike4azmike4 Member Posts: 2
    On my 2007 cummings I keep seeing a symble on the dash that looks like a coil wire. It goes off after I start the engine. The needle on the altenator drops down to about 8 amps and then comes back up to over 14 amps. any idea?
    Is it the only lamp illuminated before you start the engine? (There should be a pre-start key position where all the dash lamps can be visually tested; i.e., the lamp-test position)

No "check engine" lamp illumination after starting?

I've never owned a diesel. Could the symbol represent glow plugs, indicating malfunction of one or more glow plugs? (Since it's winter, thought that might be a glowplug symbol.)

The 8A to 14A change in alternator current might be related to an intermittent glowplug or intermittent connection to a glow plug.

Jeff
    Here's another idea. Try the Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum at dodgeforums.com. You can search the forum without logging in.

If you think the people who frequent dodgeforum might have an answer, you could register there and post your questions.

Jeff
  • gstephensgstephens Member Posts: 1
    I WENT TO GET MY EMISSION FOR MY 2003 DODGE RAM 1500 AND THEY SAID P0132 MEANT I NEED TO CHANGE MY O2 SENSOR(BANK 1 SENSOR 1). AFTER BEING CHANGED I AM STILL RECEIVING SAME CODE. NO OTHER TROUBLE CODES ARE PRESENT. WHAT COULD MY PROBLEM BE?
  • bobwinnerbobwinner Member Posts: 47
    Probably your vehicle just did not automatically reset or clear. Try auto zone/oreilly/etc to reset code.
  • zemco1zemco1 Member Posts: 2
    It's the glow plug indicator lamp. Turn the ignition key to the ON position, and wait for the symbol to go out (the glow plugs are warm). Then START the vehicle. You should not see the symbol again while it's running.
    In the diesels I operate for the Highway Authority, they all have this symbol, including the front end loaders. The FORDS say "WAIT TO START"
  • zemco1zemco1 Member Posts: 2
    19. Wait To Start Indicator
    The Wait To Start Indicator will illuminate when
    the ignition key is first turned to the ON position.
    Wait until theWait To Start Indicator turns OFF then start
    the vehicle.
  • bri2k00bri2k00 Member Posts: 1
    You gottabe kidding me... You bought a diesel but obviously don't know how they work... Diesels use glowplugs not spark plugs... The glow plug needs to warm up before starting e engine to prevent misfires or damage. That is what the Coil light is... You need to have the key in the on position till that light goes out before starting the truck.... Especially in cold weather...
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    The Cummins diesel in Rams does not use glow plugs. Cummins uses an electric grid heater (similar to the heating elements inside a toaster) to warm the air before entering the intake manifold. The grid heater continues to cycle for up to three minutes after the engine is started or until the truck is put in gear and driven. This cycling causes the electrical "surging" that can be observed by the voltmeter and the repetitive dimming of lights.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host
    The latest version, with minor editorial corrections, of charts documenting my 2011 troubleshooting adventures with a '94 Dodge RAM 350 passenger van can be found at the following public facebook link:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151608340892192.1073741825.675762191- &type=1&l=a6d2c2ac08

Jeff
  • sean352sean352 Member Posts: 1
    Ok guys I have a very strange problem I have a dodge ram 1500 2013 and while driving my right headlight will randomly flash once in awhile idk y or how but while we idle it don't it a loose connection or something worse
  • goldchampangegoldchampange Member Posts: 1
    What is the yellow warning light to the right of the ABS brake warning light. I see it flicker occasionally but can't catch the symbol. Thanks