Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've been informed that even temp gauges these days are merely idiot lights, just a different kind that we're not used to seeing. The car's engine goes through a wide range of operating temperatures, all depending on the driving conditions.

The engine temperature in stop-and-go driving in the summer and highway driving in the winter vary widely, yet the temp gauge needle never moves from its designated "normal" position. Only if something goes wrong, will the needle move.

Bob
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yes, but then why does the WRX have it and the other Imprezas don't? Clearly it's a cost-cutting measure on Subaru's part, not something which is in the customer's favor per se.

OTOH, if cost-cutting there means they DON'T have to cost-cut somewhere important, I'm all for it. Because I quite like the price I got, and I love driving my new OBS! :-)

I saw something in the manual for mine that talked about a computer that shows me average fuel consumption, next to the clock, but I guess my OBS doesn't have it? Because there is nothing next to the clock except the outside temp display. But now ateixeira has mentioned it also.

If there is something I have missed, and I have to turn on the fuel consumption readout or something, do tell because I would like to have such a function. But I have a feeling that is something else only WRX and Forester owners qualify for.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, but then why does the WRX have it and the other Imprezas don't?

Probably for folks like us who insist on having a gauge. BTW, I heard this from someone who works for Subaru, that being that temp gauges are nothing but idiot lights in disguise.

Also the temp gauge is missing from all Legacys (L-GT too) and Outbacks for 2010.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I guess Bob's point is the costs were already cut, probably a long time ago.

I remember the 1995 Miata lost it's oil pressure gauge to a "dummy guage" that only read the lack or presence of pressure.

The analog gauge is therefore misleading, because it's all or nothing.

People had oil filters fail and the gauge did *not* reflect the unusually high pressure because remember it only measured the presence of SOME pressure.

Engines blew. People were miffed.

For that reason the 1994 and prior NA Miatas are actually often more desireable than the 1995-1997 models.

If we lost a dummy guage, we didn't actually lose anything at all.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    I am not sure if the OBS has the multi-readout display or not, but, if it does, there should be some sort of button (can anyone else help with this?) that will switch the display from outside temp (the default) to average fuel economy, instantaneous economy, etc.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    On the Impreza, you get temperature, clock and mpg gauge on all the time.

The gauge gives the readout from the last time you reset your trip odometer, and will calculate tripA and tripB odometer mpg separately. When you are on main odometer or tripA, it gives the tripA mpg reading, and automatically switches to tripB reading, when that trip odometer is displayed.

No instantaneous economy readout available.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Oh, well that explains it then. I haven't reset the trip A yet, as I haven't filled it up for the first time. That will probably happen tonight, and at that point I should see the fuel economy readout light up next to the outside temp?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

I have answered my own question. There is NO fuel economy readout if you have the odometer up. However, if you switch to one of the tripmeters, the fuel economy readout for that tripmeter will display.

That's different from my '08, then.. My mpg shows the tripA number, even when just the main odometer is up..

That'll probably add a couple thousand to my resale value... :D

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

is in the shop to have a rear valance fixed that was installed improperly at the factory. When the body shop ordered the replacement part from Subaru, it came gray instead of painted as it had in the past, so they have my car for two days to install and paint the piece. I must admit to being a touch grouchy, as it wasted an hour of my time today and will doubtless do the same tomorrow when I drop off the rental and pick up my car.

But I haven't bought a single new car this decade that didn't require visits to the service department immediately after purchase, so why should Subaru be any exception, eh? Hopefully this is the only defect that will surface and I will be back on the road and problem-free in a day or so.

The rental is an Accord LX, the new model. Nicest by far of the various midsize rentals I have driven recently, including Camry and the new Malibu.

How's the road noise? I rented an Accord a while ago, though it was the prior generation. I liked it for the most part but road noise on the highway got annoying after a while. Honda needs some more sound proofing.
    Yes, road noise is very noticeable, but it's a worthwhile tradeoff for the vastly better road feel and handling vs the competition. My only complaint is that the steering is a little light, but for all I know the EX with the wider lower-profile tires may improve on the base model in that regard.

Yep, I remember the light steering, too. A least it's not numb like my dad's Olds Custom Cruiser from the 80s. That had less feedback than video games do.
    about this car is that there's more body lean than you expect the first time you put it to the test, but it's deceptive - even through tight twisties it remains glued to the ground and ultimately is faster through some local canyons than my Matrix was, which had less body roll.

At the same time, it's a MUCH better highway cruiser in terms of ride. It's a win-win for me on the suspension side! :-)

In the negatives column, I will place these $0.49 plastic biscuits that Subaru apparently calls sunshades. When you put these things up, they hit the "headliner" (I use the term loosely) with such a thump it shakes the whole car. Before too long, I am sure I will bruise a knuckle on one of these things.

But with the understanding that every car under $30K makes tradeoffs in order to cost-cut, I am still satisfied with the cost-cutting choice this represents. Better to put it somewhere I won't see or touch very much, than to take dollars out of the engineering or out of materials in places where my hands and elbows will be all the time.

Have turned over my first 1000 miles now - can cut loose a bit more! :-)

'09 OBS

I agree about the peach-fuzz headliner and the sunshade being areas where cost-cutting it a bit obvious, but the sunshades on my Miata are even worse - thin, hard plastic. I'm sure for durability reasons on a convertible, but still.
    The body roll leads you to assume your cornering is sub-standard.... but, then you realize that the tires aren't sliding, the rear end isn't coming around, and your exit speeds are higher than you expect.. :)

All of this is assuming dry pavement... In rain or snow, the tires suck so bad, you can't tell how the car handles... :(

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Yeah, for those of us not leasing, it becomes incumbent to replace the tires early with something a whole lot better.

But hey, it's May! Summer's coming, and the roads where I live will now be dry for at least five solid months, enough to test the limits of the OBS some more. :-)

I find it intriguing that reports of braking for the 2.5i with rear drums range around 138 feet from 60-0, yet the one report I can find of a 2.5i Premium (tested by Edmunds in fact) with rear discs lists a distance of 122 feet. Can the discs really make that much difference? If so, it would affirm my previous vow not to ever buy another new car with rear drum brakes.

As for tires not sliding and rear ends not coming around, I have yet to even invoke the VDC - this makes me realize just how much of a wimp I really am, as I wouldn't want to be cornering any faster than I am anyway - I am already going much faster than all the other traffic! :-P

Aren't the tires also better? That may be another factor.

Mostly, though, disc brakes cool down better than drums, so they'll fade less.
    Are the tires different? Maybe the alloy wheels help.. ;)

The stability control is really unobtrusive... it lets you get pretty loose before kicking in.. which is a good thing..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Aren't they the same tires?

The OBS uses a 17" rim, but they are still just V-rated Potenza RE92As, with the same width as the lower Imprezas use.

I'm not sure, usually the Outback and Outback Sport get heavier duty stuff. I really don't know, though.

Alloys usually have bigger voids than steel wheels with wheel covers, so they actually can be better at cooling brakes, too.
  • plainane129plainane129 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at a lightly used 2009 impreza 2.5i w/ premium package. I currently own a 99 accord and LOVE it, but live in a snowy area and want AWD for winter months. Husband has Suzuki SX4 hatchback and loves the AWD. There isn't enough trunk space for me, so looking at sedans. Subaru seems to have a good reputation for AWD. Can anyone affirm that their Impreza is good and reliable in the snow?

Also, I noticed some rattling coming from somewhere on the inside of the car when driving...is this an issue?

Engine noise from inside of car seems to have a bass-type sound to it....anyone else notice this?

Noticed a lot of chips on hood. Does Subaru paint chip / rust easily?

I'm conflicted in whether to buy this car. 2009. approx 4500 miles on it for $17400 with automatic starter.

Thanks for help!
  • impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    Driving in snow is amazingly good. We are going for another one, likely a Forester. My Impreza paint is terrible. I will not get the same dark gray color for the new car.

My advice is to buy new model and make sure the dealer services it for the first three years. There is a glut of 2009 Imprezas so the deal on a new one should be close to a used one.

Sol
    Thanks for the reply. The price on a new 2009 Impreza is about $4000 more than the list price on the used one, even though they are both listed 2009. If the paint on Subarus is of an inferior quality, perhaps I should go with the used if the new one would chip anyway.

DO you notice any rattling on the inside or loud engine noise?
  • janice96janice96 Member Posts: 19
    I have a 08 impreza hatch back.w/premium pk. I would check on a new one. I don't have any rattling. There is more luggage space in 5 door hatchback.Thats why I went for it, although I like the looks of Sedan better. I actually wanted a Legacy Wagon but they went to Outback Wagon. The Impreza is great in snow. Mine has been reliable and so far hasn't had to go in shop for any thing.Paint does chip easily, my understanding its because of the new Environmently Friendly paint. I have put arround 20,000 miles on my impreza and most of that on snowy icey roads.
    Hope this helps you.
    Rattles on the interior of a new Subaru is pretty typical, but by 4500 miles they probably will not get much, if any, worse. If you can isolate the origin of the rattle, I might be able to give you more feedback as to what is causing it. The car still has quite a bit of factory warranty left on it (3 year / 36,000 miles), so you can likely get this addressed if it bothers you. Paint chipping is par for the course anymore. Today's paints are "safer," but they sure don't tolerate rocks. You can have a clear bra (3M) applied to it to reduce future chipping in the most rock-prone areas.

Subaru AWD is fantastic. Put decent tires on it, and an Impreza will take yu anywhere you need to go!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    No rattling or noise.. the Impreza is a pleasure to drive.. very surefooted in all road conditions. I had a few close calls at high speed.. the Impreza just gripped the road and kept the car from spinning out.

I prefer a new car and the dealer being on the hook. I recommend you shop a little harder and stick with a new car.
    My sister compared her Forester to a Camry, test drove both on the same day.

It was raining.

Guess which one she's driving now? 03 Forester and still loving it.
    Do you have to put snow tires on an AWD impreza for it to work reliably in the snow? I think it comes with Bridgestone Potenza tires.
    The tires that came with the car are all season tires. They were rotated every second oil change by my Subaru dealer. No need to add snows or chains unless you live in severe winter weather area. I live in CT.
  • tonka9764tonka9764 Member Posts: 21
    Nope! As a Minnesotan who has has 2 Jeep Wranglers, 1 jeep Grand Cherokee, 1 Pathfinder... the Impreza is the best in the snow of any vehicle I have owned! Even WITH the stock Potenzas. If you don't need to go off road, the Subaru is the best thing out there in the snow.
    No, it will work okay with the stock tires. But, if you want phenomenal performance, put winter tires (Nokians, Blizzaks... good studless winter tires) on it. If you live in an area with a lot of ice (like mine, where we drive on ice for six months), winter tires make a huge difference. There are places the car will not like (or simply will not) to go with the stock tires, but those places are very difficult to find with winter tires. ;)

For occasional winter conditions, dedicated winter tires are difficult to justify.

That said, I have never owned a Subaru with winter tires. I always had all-season (four different types, including the Potenzas) tires and did just fine with them. However, the Potenzas were the worst of the bunch. The best? Goodyear Assurance Tripletred. Those tires were fantastic.
  • janice96janice96 Member Posts: 19
    No you don't. I use the Potenza tires in winter. If you live in a state that puts gravel out for traction in winter as I do, a winter tread throws the gravel and will chip your paint off the bottom part of front doors and rear panel.In summer I have a set of Legacy GT wheels that has Cooper Zeon 2XS on them.
    Mine suck... Do I need snow tires? No.. I grew up driving rear-wheel drive cars with crappy tires...anything better is just a bonus. Do I wish I had snow tires? YOU BET!

Really, it's criminal to put these crappy tires on an AWD car.. and, to top it off, they are lousy in the rain, as well.. It takes all the fun out of it.. :(

Okay... rant over..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

applause

I need to get to where I can say so much with so little. Well done. :D
    With all-seasons my 98 Forester was very good in the snow.

With snow tires, mounted briefly, it was virtually unstoppable.

Caveat - snow tires were actually LESS FUN because it was much harder to begin a slide.

Intentionally, of course.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    =====================

I find it intriguing that reports of braking for the 2.5i with rear drums range around 138 feet from 60-0, yet the one report I can find of a 2.5i Premium (tested by Edmunds in fact) with rear discs lists a distance of 122 feet. Can the discs really make that much difference? If so, it would affirm my previous vow not to ever buy another new car with rear drum brakes.

=====================

There are 2 primary factors that aid braking performance:

a) Disc vs Drum brakes: Essentially the efficiency of brakes are dpendent on transferring the frictional energy (during the braking process), into heat energy and dissipating that heat into the atmosphere. The quicker the brakes can dissipate that heat, the longer it retains braking effectiveness. If the heat dissipation capability of the brakes is not very efficient, over time (or during repeated brakings) the heat builds up and you lose braking effectiveness. Disc brakes and well designed drum brakes (especially when the drums are in the less stressed rear of the car) will stop the car, roughly equally, during the first stop. But after that, the Discs (due to their design) are MUCH better at dissipating that heat from braking, into the atmosphere and the follow-on brakings are much better with disc brakes. So if I have a choice, I will go with disc brakes all around.

b) Tires: These are an often ignored part of the braking process. A tire with very little grip, will of course not brake as well as tires that can grip better. Tires work hand-in-hand with the brakes in stopping the car. Many a time, dramatic braking improvements can be seen when the OEM tires are replaced with grippier tires (with a proportional hit on MPG :shades: ).
  • sounder4lifesounder4life Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone. I just bought my first Subaru and I'm loving it. I went in thinking it was going to be the 2010 Forester but, after test driving it, I wasn't convinced. So, I went with choice number two the Impreza Outback Sport. This is a great vehicle and really handles well. Its a sharp looking car and I look forward to enjoying it for many years to come.
    So I'm curious - what made you reject the Forester and go with the OBS (Outback Sport)? I knew going in I wanted the smaller car and never wavered, but was there one major turn-off for you with the Forester or was it just lots of little things?

I'm loving my OBS so far. It's the perfect road trip car for two or three people, spacewise and powerwise. It's so much fun to drive and no matter how you throw it around it just seems to go right on sticking to the pavement like glue. :-)

Well, when I had narrowed my search down to getting a Subaru, I thought since I had a truck prior that I would want something where I sat higher up. However, your last point nailed it. The OBS seemed to hug the road and just felt like it handled better. Along with that it was around 2k less, I got more with the OBS than what I could get with the Forester. I got the premium all weather package in the OBS. I test drove a Premium Forester and I don't think my mind would have been changed even if it was a Limited. I was just really impressed with how the OBS handled. I think you have to go to a Limited Forester to get fog lights as well. One last thing...can you tell me where to get seat covers for my OBS that don't break the bank? Thanks!
    I just wanted to clarify a point I made. I got more with the price I paid in the OBS than I could have gotten with the Forester in my price range.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    One last thing...can you tell me where to get seat covers for my OBS that don't break the bank?

Are there not side air bags in the seats? Check your owner's manual. Covering up air bags could result in disaster.
    We walked by a blue one yesterday and my wife really liked it. She was disappointed that they don't sell a "Limited" model loaded up with leather (not a WRX, she doesn't want a turbo).

We talked about it a bit and she thinks the Forester is more approriately sized for her needs, but it was the styling that drew her to the sedan, interestingly.
    The days of bug eyes and odd bulges are definitely over for Impreza, that's for sure. I do think it's a little silly that they have gone to calling the 5-door a wagon instead of a hatchback, as it looks more like a hatchback now, with the more raked rear glass, than it did before.

While it was in large part the interior improvements that motivated me to buy my second-ever OBS this year, the much-improved exterior styling had something to do with it too. :-)

One improvement I would like to see: all the other Subaru models with this powertrain are PZEV-rated, but Subaru doesn't go the distance to achieve the same rating with the Impreza. They ought to get that done. In the Impreza it is only LEV-rated? (or average to above-average emissions, in other words)

And the PZEV is not only cleaner, but also 5hp more powerful.
  • marti875marti875 Member Posts: 4
    I am a first time Subaru owner and really like the car so far….can’t wait to see how it does this winter. I have a regular Impreza..not WRX or GT model. It has about 6,500 Miles on it.

I am having some concerns over a vibration that is coming, I think, from the engine. At happens between 1500 and 2000 RPM. It mostly happens after I try to accelerate after driving at about 35 mph for a short while but has happened at higher speeds. It acts as if it should be downshifting from 3rd or 4th but seems stuck and I get a real nasty vibrating noise. It’s like up-shifting a standard car too soon or not downshifting for more power. From inside the car, it sounds like I have one of those mufflers attatchments that kids put on their cars to make them sound like a V8. Eventually the car will go strait to passing gear at about 40 or so.

I am going to call the dealer and have them look at it.

In the meantime, has anyone else experienced anything like this? I was really surprised by how loud it can be at times since Subaru made changes to reduce engine vibration.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
    I am liking the hill holder feature more and more all the time, and it works a lot more smoothly than the one the old Subes from the 80s had. I know, because I had one! Those were the days of broken clutch chains - a far cry from today.

I am not a fan in general of added junk to do what the driver should be able to do themself, but this one is really a convenience and never hangs me up.

I am more in love with my new OBS now than 6 months ago when I bought it. :-) For me, that's really saying something, as I am always on the lookout for my next new car.

I would be curious to know if anyone out there has taken a non-WRX Impreza, and added the rear sway from the WRX. If so, did you need to change out any of the rest of the suspension or the front sway, and did the dealer make a fuss about it for any reason?

Oh, and marti875: nope, no weird vibrations in mine like the ones you describe. But mine is not an automatic, and it sounds like yours should be downshifting and isn't?

• marti875marti875 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks, that is what I was thinking also. I drove it in sport mode over the weekend and I had no problems.
    And how is your mileage doing? I pulled 28.9 driving my new '10 Forester (MT) home from Seattle. Best tank was 30.66; I was hoping for better, but was not driving to maximize fuel economy (covered the 2150 miles home in 49 hours) and the car is still new.

27.5 is my latest single tank reading - filled up today. After my disappointing results recently, I decided what the hey, I would stop focusing so much on saving gas and start having more fun with the car (!!), and I was surprised to find that the fuel economy reading dropped very little.

For the first 5000 miles I have averaged 28 mpg right on the nose.

'09 OBS 5-speed.

Oops! Wrong thread; consider this one answered! :blush:
  • jerryfarinajerryfarina Member Posts: 10
    Hey Marti875,

Yes! I am leasing a 5-door Impreza that I got only 3 months ago and it also rattles going into 3rd gear. Most of the time this happens while going up hill or accelerating on an on-ramp. It's as if the car shifts too soon into 3rd and the car makes a low rattle and there is no power. If I give it more gas it'll downshift and be fine.

My old car was a stick and it sounds and feels just like it did when I would be in too high of a gear.

Any way to fix this problem? I may take it back to the dealership to see what they say.

Oh, another problem I have is that the interior rattles in different spots when I go over bumps. Like the driver door handle and left pillar by the windshield. It's really annoying. I'm starting to think Subarus are low quality (this is my first).

If anyone has any advice....thanks.