Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Mine had the STi short-shift kit installed at port... I'd have to look again, but I think that added nearly $500 to the MSRP...

It's nice, but with the "throttle-hang", quick, smooth shifts aren't happening, anyway... :(

Even though I have nearly 3 months to go on the lease, I picked up the replacement this weekend... :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Well do tell, what is the replacement?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

'06 BMW 330 coupe..

Stick-shift, of course... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

So, just a leeeeetle faster than the Soob! ;-)

You going to keep the Impreza until the end of the lease? Will the residual be more than it is worth?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yeah... I'm driving the Impreza every day to work, until the term is up.. I'll be right at the limit, so no over-mileage issues...

The residual is about $14K.... Since the selling price was about $19K, two years and 30K miles, ago... don't think there is any equity there.. It will just go back.

Of course, my last fill-up before I buy the next car, I get 30.9 mpg.. and, the BMW takes premium..

It's funny... the dealership where I bought the BMW is about 60 miles up the freeway from my house.. I'm driving home, reset the mpg gauge, then notice that I'm getting about 28-30 mpg, doing 65 mph.. Not too bad for 235 hp!! After about 20 miles, I also notice that I'm in 5th gear.. :surprise: Uh, it's a 6-speed, doofus!!

So.. 28-30 mpg highway, and not even in top gear... not too bad.. lol..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited May 2010
    Well, one thing to know about Subaru and fuel economy is you have to be insistent on having AWD. If you don't need AWD (or want it really badly) Subaru is COMPLETELY non-competitive with other carmakers on fuel economy. The only exception is the awful CVT-equipped new Legacy. Having driven that now, I find it to be just as bad as every CVT I have ever driven - the motorboating and droning continue endlessly. In fact, it is WORSE than the CVT-equipped Cube, which motorboats less.

I figured the residual on your Impreza lease must be artifically high to get payments and terms so cheap. I quite like my OBS - if the rear sway solves the high speed handling "problem", I may well end up keeping this car a long time.

I am still debating the short shifter install - I was already expecting it to be at least the $500 figure you mentioned, and you are exactly right that with the rev hang it might not be a very good investment as it still won't shift very quickly. But I haven't driven a 4-cylinder car in the last 5 years that didn't have deplorable amounts of rev hang (and that includes all the major Japanese automakers plus Chevy and Ford) - I am guessing the BMW doesn't have it?!

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You newer know, that dealer may have added some hidden documentation or processing fee to get that $475 back.

Congrats. Seems like we have a lot of new Impreza owners, so congrats to all of you. :shades:
    I am guessing the BMW doesn't have it?!

Not one scintilla... :)

Fairly heavy, but not stiff clutch.... very short, yet smooth shifter.. easy to modulate throttle, that works as intended.. I tell ya, if it had been anything like the throttle on the Subie, I'd have gone back to a slushbox (okay, maybe not..lol).

I thought maybe I just hadn't driven modern stick-shifts, enough (post 2005), but I test drove a new Z4 about a month or two after I got the Subaru... NO throttle hang! I knew then, that the Subaru just wasn't right.... I've been counting the months, ever since..

I just have to lay off the throttle, a little.... geez, I'm going fast... lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Well, the new Civic has rev hang, the Corolla, Yaris, and Focus all have it, the Cobalt has it LIKE CRAZY (almost undriveable in a stick), and the Golf has it. Haven't driven the Koreans, but I'm not holding my breath.

So maybe it's a 4-cylinder phenomenon (does the Golf have 4 or 5?). I know the automakers do it to reduce NOx emissions, so it's a smog thing and maybe it's unique to 4-cylinders.

If BMW would only start to sell a decent 4-cylinder car in the U.S again, I would be all over it and I wouldn't have to put up with my revs hanging! :-P

• kimcatkimcat Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like you got a great deal. I am currently shopping for an Impreza 2.5i Premium in NJ so may I ask where you got yours? I'm torn between leasing and buying and acting now or holding out for the 2011 which I hear will be available in June/July.
    Congratulations and good luck with your new car.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    If you bought a new Subaru in the past few months, a reporter may want to talk with you. Please email pr@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 14, 2010 with your daytime contact info and the make/model you traded in.
  • jerryfarinajerryfarina Member Posts: 10
    My 2009 Impreza still has interior rattling and also has engine rattling when it doesn't shift at the right times (mostly going uphill). I've taken it into the dealership to fix but each time they say they cannot replicate the problem (though they refuse to take it on the highway). I leased the car so I'm definitely giving it back when the lease is up and buying something either higher-quality (what that is I don't know) or at least more fuel-efficient.

2 things I thought I would need that the car had: AWD, hatchback. Turns out I only needed AWD once last year and so far have only needed the extra cargo room with the hatch one time also. I think you can actually fit more groceries and luggage in a trunk.
  • bmws50b30bmws50b30 Member Posts: 4
    congrats on the purchase. i am also in the market for an impreza. i just looked at a base2.5i (auto) and the dealer told me invoice price is $18, 400 with my VIP program. They will also take off $1,000 incentive. The price will come out to around $17,500 including taxes, tags and delivery. Is this a good deal? the MSRP here at edmunds is $18, 495. I'm confused.
  • plektoplekto Member Posts: 3,738
    The invoice is $18,143, with about $18,500 as the average price. There's maybe $800 profit for the dealer in the car before holdback, so $17500 with tax and delivery(if that really is a true out the door price) is pretty good.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    First, the base MSRP on the 2.5i sedan with no options is $19,190 including destination charge. Invoice on that same car, also including destination, is $18,346. Any incentives or rebates from the manufacturer should be taken off of the invoice price, bringing your price to $17,346 after the $1000 incentive. So, tack on any taxes and fees on top of that. It sounds like $17,500 is a decent price depending on those costs.

It should be noted that the manufacturer's captive finance deal, which is very good right now, cannot be combined with the $1,000 incentive. If you're financing, that is something to consider.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I just read the Chevy Cruze will start at $17 grand, so heck yeah, an AWD Impreza for a little more sounds good.
  • tonyyyytonyyyy Member Posts: 1
    Dude, which dealer did you get ur car? I am in NJ too and looking for a 2.5i Premium 5dr. Please give me the dealer info. Thanks, man!
    My 24-month lease with Chase (dba Subaru Finance) was up last month.... Got the final bill today.. The only charges were for the $300 disposition fee.. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

What will/have you replaced it with?
  • erick830erick830 Member Posts: 16
    i am looking for an impreza outback sport 2010 or 2009 where did you get that price i live in nothern cali. thanks for sharing :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Downgraded, huh? That's a shame; darn economy, anyway! :P
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Sweet. Pre-Bangle, even. ;)
    Lol... hey, it's used... About the same price as a new Impreza sedan with premium package..

Only 40K miles on an '06.... CPO for two years, with extended maintenance plan, as well... So, pretty cheap ride, all in all...

To be honest, I leased the Impreza because they had a dirt-cheap 24 month lease... It was a good deal, but I never loved the car...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I'm leasing an '09 5 Impreza right now. My original plan was to turn the car in when the lease was up. But now I find myself becoming more attached to it. I have had some interior rattling noise, but the people at the dealership are really great and have fixed any little problems I come up with. They even let me store my car there when I went on vacation and I didn't have to pay for the airport parking lot! (I'm in Brooklyn). Customer service really makes an impression.

But say my lease ends and I owe something like $12k. If I wanted to only spend that much to buy a car, it would make more sense to buy the car that I had owned for the past 3 years instead of buying someone else's used car wouldn't you think?
    ABSOLUTELY, yes, because it was YOUR car and you know the history and how it was maintained.

Much better to keep a car you're happy with than gamble on a car someone else no longer wanted and traded in or is selling.
  • hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    Putnam Subaru in Burlingame.
    That reminds me, I have to mention my squeaking creaking A-pillar interior panels (both right and left) to the dealer next time I go in. Especially when the weather is cold and every time I go over a bump or rough pavement I get all kinds of this noise from them. It drives me crazy, particularly as the car has yet to see 20K miles. Is that (one of) the noise(s) you had? If so, it is encouraging to know your dealer fixed it. My dealer's service department seems like it really couldn't care less if I dropped dead. Which is on par for Subaru dealer service departments IMO, from my 6 or 7 years of experience dealing with them.

Hmm that stinks.
    Actually I just re-read my post about my dealership fixing my car. I must have been on a dealership-high because they had just let me put my car there while on vacation. I should mention that this was the third time that I had to ask them to figure out what the interior rattling was. The first time they dismissed it altogether. The second time they said I had to leave the car for a few days. And that's why this third time I left the car with them while on vacation. I believe that Subaru is aware of this problem in the '09s and has parts for the dealerships to use to fix. It might be them just taping something inside the pillar down.

So Subaru service isn't actually that good or does it depend on the dealer? How do other brands compare? Which brands are known for their customer service? (This is my first car so I have no other experience other than with Subaru).
    As with anything, it all depends on the local business. My local Subaru dealer's service department is fantastic - truly first class (so far!) - but I would never buy a car from them. :mad:

On the other hand, the local Chrysler dealership probably has the worst service anywhere. I have yet to hear anyone say something good about their service... even die-hard Chrysler fans!
    edited September 2010
    The problem with Subaru dealer service departments is that they are always small. I have had much better luck with Toyota service departments, which I attribute mainly to the fact that they are always much bigger dealers with much bigger service departments.

The only time I had a decent experience with a Subaru dealer was when I lived for a while in a place where the Subaru dealer was paired with Ford, so the service department was huge and efficient. Although even at that place I often had to wait until the ONE or TWO Subaru techs were available to work on my car. But at least they had better hours and a professional attitude, not to mention an inkling that customer servce should be part of the equation at such a business.

Saturn and Honda have both provided me with much better service experiences on average than Subaru, as well.

Gotta' go get me some of that magic Subaru tape to stop the crescendo of squeaking and creaking coming from around my windshield, though. I find myself beating on the A-pillar panel and jamming it into place with my fist now to stop the noise.

• andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Its an automatic 2.5i. The only options were mud guards and All season mats. Edmunds said the car goes for $19k in my area. They offered $18.4 and and came down to $18,240....the extra was a discount they offer to friends and family where I work. I think its a good price. He decided to trade in his old subaru after the fact. They gave him $500 which was close to being fair...the car is 16 years old and has a few issues.

My question is on the extended warranty. Personally I told him to hold off...he has 3 years to decide. Plus he pretty much drives less than 5K miles a year. He is older and hope he was not pressured.

He paid $872 for a 6/60 Subaru warranty with a $100 deductible. That sounded rediculous to me (my wife called while they were in with the finance guy) The explained that NOBODY gets a zero deductible. (Really, why then was I able to get a genuine Toyota b2b 7/100K warranty for each of our Toyotas then. Plus we only paid $700!) Anyway, they quickly came dow to a $50 deductible for the same price: $872.

Question: How was this price for the warranty and do they really make it impossible to get a zero deductible?

Question: Can he cancel the warranty, get all his money back on the contract and buy it somewhere else?

Question: Should we intenet shop for the sucker?

Finally, they told him the offered 2.9% financing. He wanted to borrow 8.5k. They said to gey 2.9% you needed to borrow at least 10K. Please tell that was not a load of b/s.

THANKS!
    Seems a bit high given the powertrain is already covered for 5/60, so stretching it to 6/60 means little.

You are covering everything else plus getting 3 more years of roadside assistance, FWIW.
    Yes, high but is there anyone who actually knows, ie bought a contract...I need to put this thing to rest.
    Aren't they all refundable for a certain amount of time?

Call 800-SUBARU3 and ask.
    I believe so...really just trying to see if he overpaid...someone must have bought one of these things....
    edited September 2010
    It may be very helpful for you to visit the Gold Plus Extended Warranty -- Worth It? thread. I hope that link takes you here. If not, it is located within the Forester section.
  • wickedv1wickedv1 Member Posts: 5
    Issue at hand.
    Subaru has made an unsafe decision for the owners of the 2011 impreza.
    Windshield and windshield / foot well defroster will only work with outside air.
    Subaru therefore is telling me, if you want to see out of our car, the driver MUST in-hail the noxious fumes from the diesel truck in front.
    How is this safe?
    My 2008 Forester Limited will allow the windshield defroster to function on recirculate but not the Impreza?
    Granted in a perfect world, fresh air is the most efficient way to clear a windshield, Wake up.... This is not a perfect world.
    Let the consumer make the decision.
    Liability is HUGE here.
    Medical bills because a car manufacturer is forcing it's owners to inhale noxious exhaust especially in bad weather conditions OR Accident claims due to owners crashing their car because they could not see out.
    I'm sure this is an over site.
    Please tell me or my dealer how to resolve this silly issue.
    Thank you.
    I could be wrong but I think that is how both my Toyotas and old ford was....I know it had to be on one setting or another anyway, either recycled or outside air....I'll have to check which on the Toyota.
    @ andrelaplume
    Have spoken to a few friends and this does seem to be a norm of sorts, with one major exception. Most other manufacturers will allow the driver to re-activate the recirculate and retain the defrost action.
    Example:
    New body style Honda civic will turn off recirculate when defrost is activated, though it will allow recirculate to be reactivated if the driver so desires and continue the defrost action. This action is the same on 2006 thru 2008 Foresters, 2009 Foresters will let you do as you wish. Well at least mine does :)
    Odd that all the vehicles in my memory past have allowed windshield defrost to work with recirculate on.
    meh. I think that your windshield will only defrost with outside air and subaru is making sure that people aren't trying to defrost with inside air and wondering why it's not working. Locking it is the only way. As or the toxic fumes, well, I think those fumes are getting into your car regardless. Your car is not air-tight. NOt sure what you're going to do about it other than maybe drive further back from the trucks. Best answer is for you to instead tell Subaru your desire for them to make a zero-emissions car like all the other automakers and then buy one and encourage others to do the same. Unless they come out with a hybrid or at least a diesel in the states, this will be my last Subie.
    No Subaru I have owned (four spanning 14 years) has included this feature. Granted, it would seem to be nice on those occasions when there are unpleasant outside pollutants like diesels, cigarette smoke, poorly maintained wood stoves, etc.

If the defroster is actually needed, it is not going to work real well drawing the already-humid air from inside the vehicle.
    If you smell the truck's exhaust, aren't you following too closely? Most trucks have a stack up high, how are you inhaling that exhaust? :confuse:
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Most trucks have a stack up high, how are you inhaling that exhaust?

That's correct for large tractors, but there are lots of local delivery diesel United Parcel trucks and others with bumper level outlets. And in heavy city bumper-to-bumper traffic, close is not avoidable.

And there are plenty of junker cars laying a smoke screen behind them. I have never seen one pulled over for polluting.
    I drive a convertible (Miata), and even top open I don't really have that problem.

Then again, I'm always passing trucks, not behind them. :shades:
    @xwesx
    Firstly, thank you for your input.
    As my experience with Subaru is limited (two) I find it odd that my 2009 Forester allows me to utilize defrost with the vents closed but not on the 2011 impreza?

As for when the defroster is needed, turn on the AC, this will clear the fog.

Seems Subaru thought of this with the 2008 forester... note from a friend:
    So I checked mine out - if I have it on recirc, then switch to defrost, it will set it back to outside air + AC. But I can switch it back to recirc if I want.

Apples to Oranges example:
    New body style Honda civic will turn off recirculate when defrost is activated, though it will allow recirculate to be reactivated if the driver so desires and continue the defrost action.

My point is more, let me make the choice...... Do not force me to breath in cigarette smoke, exhaust fumes, other misc odders because a car company deems me to stupid to clear my own windshield.

Odd how Subaru's with climate control (i.e 2009 Limited forester) do not have this issue, yet (2011 Impreza premium) does..... Is this a $'s thing? Spend more, MUST be smarter?????

Frankly if I had purchased the Impreza first there is no way in hell I would have purchased the Forester.
    Which is ashame as the 2009 forester is a fantastic vehicle.
    Thank you for your input.
    I'm not sure where you live but I'm in wonderful Los Angeles. Try sitting on the 405 and not breathing in exhaust, cigarette, ect fumes.
    I utilize the vents closed option the majority of the time. I'm not happy that the manufacturer has decided that I must breath toxic fumes to keep my windshield clear.
    Close the vents, turn on the AC, problem solved.
    @ Jerryfarina
    Thank You for your input.
    FYI, AC will clear the windshield just fine on recirculate.
    So what your saying is Subaru thinks people that buy there lower end vehicles are too stupid to clear their own windshields? So then lets kill them off by making them breath noxious fumes?
    With the vents closed and Subaru's cabin filters, things are good.
    As For Subaru making a zero-emissions vehicles, that would be good, yet is does not stop the fumes from other vehicles getting into my Subaru's cabin with vents open.
    With regard to a diesel, I absolutely agree.
    Oh, it works that way on a 2009? I'll have to try it on my 2010 Forester just to confirm. I have not tried to push the recirc button again after the switch. I did try this on my '96 Outback, which had a bad oil leak for a while and would billow smoke from oil burning off the exhaust pipes when stopped. The car wouldn't comply with the request, so I just had to get into the habit of switching to the dash vents (on recirc) when stopped and then back to defrost.

A/C will work to defrost if the weather is not very cold. Otherwise, the condensate will ice up the system and leave you with a mess come Spring.

I agree with you, give us the choice! I just don't think it is as significant of an issue as you, but I'm sure I would if I lived in your environment as my lungs are quite sensitive to particulate and smoke pollution (cigarette, wood stove, etc). I love that the Forester (and all new Subaru vehicles, I think) have particulate filters... if only they included carbon filters too! :D
  • gdocgdoc Member Posts: 22
    Just picked up my 2011 wrx limited. It's an absolutely incredible car. I also have a 2010 forester xt. The power in the forester is tremendous and for all those who criticized the 4 spd automatic in the forester, I'm glad I did not listen. The 4 spd transmission works great and coming from my 6spd acura tsx, I prefer the 4spd auto. Revs work great and the gear ratios just work. The wrx is freakishly fast. This car is a joy to drive, but can get you in a lot of trouble.