Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

New Subaru Impreza Owners - Give Us Your Report!

123457»

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    There's much more to a trans than the number of ratios. While that sells, smooth shifting and not hunting around all the time are just as important, as is durability.

A co-worker got a new Ford Fiesta and the new 6 speed trans blew up before the first gas tank was empty. Ford did replace the entire unit and give her an extended warranty, but I feel better about our Forester's 4EAT, which has been perfect.
  • gdocgdoc Member Posts: 22
    I totally agree. When I was comparing the wrx and sti, I read the same comments (6spd is far better than the 5spd). I drove the wrx and sti back to back and had a lot more fun in the wrx. The 6spd had a shorter throw, but I was searching for gears way too often for my taste. wrx pulls very hard in every gear and thus far, have never missed having a 6th gear. Very happy with both vehicles, although the seats in the wrx have far better lateral support. I'll leave my wife with the forester xt....thank god she can't drive stick!
  • gdocgdoc Member Posts: 22
    HID xenon lights are only available for the STI in the limited trim. I've seen on the subaru.com website that the american wrx limited comes with HID lights. Does anyone know if I can order the HID replacement lights for an american wrx and place them in the canadian version? I'm not sure if it's that simple, or if other components must be replaced also. I'd go aftermarket, but rather have the original stuff subaru uses.

Thoughts?
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    of the creaking and squeaking (and rattling) from my windshield pillars, so when I had my '09 OBS in for the 20K-mile oil change yesterday, I asked them to look into it and they confirmed that Subaru DOES have a TSB out for this - they are now ordering the "special tape" that will be installed next week to shut these darn panels up - they make a constant caterwaul as you roll down the road, very annoying.

This is TSB #12-113-09, BTW, for anyone who's counting. ;-)

Hope it works!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Just so you guys know, there is absolutely no such thing as a "Zero Emissions Vehicle" unless you can guarantee that the power is coming from solar power, even that isn't zero emissions cause it takes emissions to make the panels etc.

For the most part your ZEV cars are just shifting the emissions guilt from you the car owner to the power plant operator where there are plenty of emissions from Coal, Oil, Gas, Nuclear etc.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,790
    edited January 2011
    I hope it fixes the issue! So far, when I have had rattles addressed, the fix has worked and lasted. I notice that sometimes, such as tonight, our windshield creaks and pops. It seems to happen when it is very cold outside, but warming up (today, it was -35 first thing in the morning and was only -9 by evening). I am not sure what causes it, but it sure is annoying. I keep expecting the windshield to shatter when it pops!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    You just made me very glad I live in California! I think if my windshield were creaking and popping I would also be worried that it might shatter or something.

I also have a creaking/rattling coming from the hatchback area, but that is just one of the downsides of owning a hatch, I think. Every one I have owned has done the same thing. Still wouldn't trade for a sedan....

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

And most of it from dirty coal at that!

Just get a PZEV Subaru, it's nearly as good and much easier to live with!
    Had the TSB done today, and it worked like a charm (at least so far)! Not a sound from the A-pillars since I picked it up. :-)

edited March 2011
    Just checking back in to say that after 8 weeks of driving around, including on the crapped-out roads up to Yosemite, the A-pillars have remained silent, so the TSB truly does work. And given the cacophony I was hearing before, I would highly recommend getting this done for any Impreza owner who is experiencing it.

I still get an occasional squeak/creak from the rear hatch area, but I think it's probably coming from the privacy screen where it attaches once it's extended, so it's OK. I'm used to a few squeaks and creaks from the rear of hatchbacks anyway, they all seem to do it.

• floridasunfloridasun Member Posts: 1
    My 2009 Impreza has this annoying, loud floorboard vibration when I accelerate at 40-50 MPH. The dealership has been very good to me in replacing pipes and plates underneath, but still the noise persists. Next they will replace the exhause pipe! The mechanic hears the noise loud and clear when I drive, but he hasn't stopped the noise yet. Has anyone been successful in identifying and stopping this noise? I am running out of time and warranty. Write to me at Puffindusty@yahoo.com. Thanks alot. :mad:
    Usually noises like that are from loose heat shields in the exhaust.
  • jerryfarinajerryfarina Member Posts: 10
    Yes, I hear the same thing when I accelerate to get onto the free way. Mine is an automatic and it sounds like the car needs to downshift. My workaround is to drive it in sport mode so it shifts appropriately and I don't hear that noise. Not sure if that's what you're experiencing also...
  • jacobsmithjacobsmith Member Posts: 3
    After reading the review from the edmunds.com, I bought it from a dealer found through the website www.unocardealers.com Since money is one of my concern, it come at a good time as a affordable car. It provides good fuel economy. It also has comfortable seats with spacious cargo area which also have good standard all-wheel drive. :)
  • impreza2008impreza2008 Member Posts: 30
    edited July 2012
    Understatement.. the car is fantastic. I love driving my new 2012 Impreza... people stop me and ask about it.. it looks good. I got it with all the bells and whistles.. some are good, but the navigation unit should be reprogrammed.. the cheapest stand alone unit is friendlier.
  • maryvmaryv Member Posts: 10

I love my 2014 Subaru Impreza 5 door.

I am a short woman, so fit is important to me. The Impreza fits me like a glove. I feel like it hugs me when I sit in it (leather seats). It is a bit 'bare bones' on the inside, but that's just the way Subaru is in general. The header is basically made of fuzzy textured cardboard. The electronics are not fancy, but I am new to them, so that is okay. The remote start is a bit weird, but fine. I can't live without remote start. But the main thing is . . . AWD.

The NAV is not that user friendly. But it is the first I've had, so I don't really have anything to compare it to. My son, though, who uses his iPhone for nav hates the system in my car and refuses to use it. I must admit, it is not intuitive. It isn't obvious which buttons to push to get you where you need to go for route planning, finding your destination, etc.

I love my Subaru and recommend it to others all the time. The safety factor is #1 to me. The only beef I have right now after owning it for 3 months . . . the windshield is cracked and also has another star from small pebble impact on the expressway. I have been driving the same route for many years with many other brands of vehicles and never had dings, let alone cracks in the windshield from rocks hitting. The first time it happened I didn't even see where the rock hit and the next day had a huge crack in the windshield. The other issue I had was that my gas level indicator got stuck once. I've never had this issue with any other car, so I was sure the gas station had a problem. I had 70 miles worth of gas in my car, put $20 in and a mile down the road I noticed I had the same level of gas -- 70 miles worth. I went back to the gas station to argue that I hadn't actually gotten the gas I paid for. When I drove away, about 10 minutes later the gas gauge showed the correct level. I never had that happen before so was quite embarrassed that I had raised a stink at the gas station.

So, that is my rant, but truly I do LOVE it. I've been leasing cars for my last 4 or 5 cars and this is the first time I've actually purchased in about 12 years. With other cars, I didn't want to own them beyond 3 years, but I am confident in the safety and reliability of my Subaru.