Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Accesories & Modifications

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited August 2014 in Subaru
Discuss the add ons and changes you're making to improve your Impreza here.

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I've been looking for some roof rack/cargo area tie downs for my '06 WRX wagon. I've added the cross bars from the Outback Sport, which have loops for bungie cord hooks.

I don't want the conventional bungie cords, but rather what I was hoping to find was something with vinyl straps with plastic snap connectors, something like what you might find on a fanny pack. So far I haven't had much luck in finding this.

However...

I was wondering about the cargo net that's offered for the Baja's bed.

Any thoughts? Do you think this could work on the roof rack, and/or cargo area? Does it stretch to fit cargo? Do you think it might be too big?

Bob
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I checked out the Baja's net today, and decided it wasn't a good idea, for a couple of reasons. One, the front attacment stap is short than the rear one, so that it fits the Baja's beed properly. Second, there's not much of a range of adjustment for various size packages.

For the Baja I'm sure it's fine, but not for my needs.

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Look at Subaru's basket carrier, it comes with a custom-fit net. Get a Chase credit card so you earn Subaru Bucks, then it's free! I have $300 saved up right now.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    I really like my Yakima LoadWarrior. Works great on my Mazda P5's OEM crossbars. Should work fine with the Subaru. Can load a ton of stuff on it. (Not quite a TON.) Road trips with 2 adults and 2 kids can be done. I can also mount my Yakima bike racks and kayak mounts to it. I got mine from the local RackAttack in Portland.

Thule also sells one. I don't have any experience with it. Looks similar, a little more expensive.
  • subby06subby06 Member Posts: 12
    I recently got a 2006 subaru impreza 2.5i. Does anyone know of any performance parts for it.
  • subby06subby06 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know how to take a crank pulley off and put a lightweight one on.

Thanks dustin
  • bscott3bscott3 Member Posts: 9
    I just got a 2006 Impreza Sport Wagon. Does anyone know where the subwoofer is located in this car?
    Under one of the front seats, though I forget which one.

-juice
    Thanks, juice, I found it under the drivers seat.
    Cool. :shades:

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    driver's seat?
    Either they changed the mounting or you're RHD.

Under the passenger seat is where mine was.
    Now I have under each seat.

-Dave
    It is under the driver's seat and it's LHD. I didn't check under the passenger seat yet, maybe I have one under each too.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Nah, you wouldn't have another one on the pass side if you already have one on the driver side. I added the second woofer.

So, they did indeed changed the mounting and where mounted.
  • amador2amador2 Member Posts: 1
    I have every thing you need and even better you will be stage 2 I have a down pipe, up pipe, turbo heat sheild, short ram intake, intake heat sheild, cat back exhaust, bov,
    all this cost 1,900 im selling everything for 1000 thats a damm good deal Intake, cat back exhaust is SPT Down pipe, and heat sheild, up pipe are cobb
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    this isn't a sales site, please contact him directly.....

-mike
  • arairkararairkar Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2007 impreza outback sport SE. I seem to remember that the dealer told me that it had bluetooth integration built in. Now that I have bought a bluetooth phone, it doesn't seem to recognize the bluetooth in the car. It seems to have a mic in there. Does anyone know if this model has bluetooth built in and if so, how to activate it?

Many thanks for helping in advance.
    Hmm IIRC the 08's (late availability) have blue tooth on the Impreza line. I wasn't aware that the 07 of any subaru had bluetooth.

-mike
  • arairkararairkar Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply.
    I bought my 07 wagon in Mar so it wasn't a late 07 model.
    I do have something on my dashboard that looks like a mic and I remember I was told by my dealer that I did have bluetooth, so it would be a bummer to not have it since CA laws will start no cellphone in june 08.
    That microphone looking thing is probably for the auto-temp controls.

Let me do a quick bit of research on the bluetooth for yah.

-mike
    Yeah only on the 08s with Navigation and Sirrus.

-mike
  • ozeven600rrozeven600rr Member Posts: 2
    I've got a 2008 impreza 2.5i with the base stereo and was thinking about installing the subwoofer under the driver's seat. I'm wondering if anyone has a before/after comparo and could give me a little review. The base stereo in there is not very good, but sometimes all it takes is a little bass. I am used to a nice 12" JBL in my trunk so I know it won't be as loud, but I still have no idea what to expect. Thanks!

Alex
  • cpark227cpark227 Member Posts: 2
    i've got a 2008 impreza 2.5i with the 10 speaker system.....does anyone know where are all the speakers located at...i was only able to find 6 speakers
    Just as a hint, I know the Tribeca has two in the head liner, near the cargo area. They may be tweeters, not sure. My van has tweeters up on the dash, near the base of the windshield.

They're all over the place nowadays.
  • keda69keda69 Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I just bought an 08 outback sport.I love it,but its my first subaru and I don't know much about mods for them. If i do an air intake and a cat back exhaust do i need to remap the fuel injection. Where can i get performance parts for the 08 obs? thank you for your help.
    There really aren't any useful mods for the NA subies. You could do intake and exhaust but they really provide little if any power.

The ECU will auto-remap though if you do decide to put them on.

-mike
  • keda69keda69 Member Posts: 2
    I'm not looking for massive gains. Just another 15-20 horses. Do you think thats possible?
    Nope, even on a turbo, a cat back gives you about 12hp only. On an NA you might get 1-2hp at MOST.

-mike
  • sesro1978sesro1978 Member Posts: 2
    Hi-

I'm trying to decide between an acrylic bug deflector or a vinyl hood cover. What are the benefits/draw-backs of either purchase? Is one better than the other?

Thanks for your help!

~Seth
    You mean a bra v. bug deflector?

Problem with a bra is that it will build up dirt under it and then the vibration of the hood will grind that dirt into your hood. The other problem is the area under it will fade at a different rate than the rest of the car.

I'm a big fan of the acrylic bug deflectors, at least on my SUVs, not particularly on my subies.

-mike
  • sdunnsdunn Member Posts: 6
    You got it!

I'm mostly just looking to not look at a little area of chipped paint already on the front of the hood. Sounds like the bra may cause more of these little areas. Thanks for your input on this.

~Seth
  • mattverdemattverde Member Posts: 2
    Anyone gotten this installed yet?
    I was just quoted $400 for the part and $198 for installation.

A lot of money for something that is "XM ready." Anyone install it themselves?
  • tom165tom165 Member Posts: 2
    hey everyone, i recently brought my first car which is a subaru impreza lx 1997 sedan. im looking to put a pod filter into it but can't/don't know how to because of the 'air-box'...any suggestions??

thanks heaps
  • eastsoccer19eastsoccer19 Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I've got a 2000 Outback Sport and I'm wanting to get some new headlights and i can't seem to find any. Does anyone know where to get some?
  • jkisjkis Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 impreza 2.5i. Looking to get more hp. Any thoughts?
  • merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    I've got 135K miles on my '02 WRX wagon and it seems as though it still has a lot of life in it yet. Maintance replacement parts are inevitable. When parts need to be replaced, what, if any upgrades should I consider? I would prefer to stick with Subaru branded items. As always, thanks in advance.
  • dirtgrazerdirtgrazer Member Posts: 3
    Be careful. Any add ons, especially powertrain items. Engine,exhaust, clutch will immediately void your warranty. I know this first hand with my wifes 05 WRX wagon. Spun a rod bearing. Dealer saw that we have a skid plate mounted under the engine and rock chips on the front bumper and hood. They told Subaru of American that we must be racing the car. Yeh my wife takes the bike rack off and enters WRC events. How ridiculous !! They say our car is used for "severe service" because we have a two mile gravel road driveway to our house. So my oil must be changed at 3750 miles max. My last service was done at 4110 miles. This was all they needed to deny warranty. Subaru of America sucks.
    Thanks for the concern, but my WRX is almost 6 years old and has over 135,000 miles on it. The warranty coverage has long passed. BTW, you might want to consider making an appeal to SOA, in my experience SOA has been quite accommodating.
    What does your handle (dirt grazer) mean if you're not driving it hard in the dirt? I find the name rather ironic.

Almost everyone falls under the 3750 service if you read the fine print.
    At 135k miles just about everything should have been service by now. So I'd do anything you haven't already done that is serviceable, basically.
    The vehicle has been maintained by the book by the Subaru dealer. I was just wondering if there was a value priority to be considered for upgraded parts, should I need to replace the original parts in the future.
    Keeping good records and dealer service will add value to certain buyers, but not all.

I just sold a Legacy and had all the records and the buyer didn't even glance at them. It was strange. :confuse:
  • dirtgrazerdirtgrazer Member Posts: 3
    Dirtgrazer refers to a nickname givin to me racing sidecar motocross. Ironic is the dealer was trying to sell me a new STI. He admitted that if you drive the car like the poster on the wall directly behind this cool looking rally replica. Your warranty is void.
    As juice said, almost everyone falls into the severe service unless you are a little old lady who drives her STi to church on Sunday (and believe it or not I've actually seen this).

As for the poster, and the voiding of warranty, that is the same across the board with any and all manufacturers.

With that said, I've run my LGT wagon at Pocono Raceway and Watkins Glen with no issues :)

-mike
    Even that little lady is probably taking lots of short trips, so even she would fall under the tougher schedule! :D
  • zman26zman26 Member Posts: 1
    I just got a 08 Impreza Outback Sport. I am going to replace the factory speakers,but i only see 6. I see the 2 tweeters in the front door with the front 2 door speakers and the 2 backdoor speakers. I thought OBS came with a 10 speakers system. Where are the other 4? What am i missing?
  • socprofinblrexsocprofinblrex Member Posts: 18
    I've not posted nor kept up with posts for some time even though I first started on these boards back in 2002, but...

I'm back because my 2002 wrx wagon (123,000 miles) has moved past doing majority (all work) @ dealer to my local guys up the street.

What I need now? Struts in rear. I'm fine with being pointed in various other directions, but after seeing the depth and breadth of info and realizing my experience in sorting is negatively affected by the infrequency in doing this kind of potential "upgrading" tells me to ask you all some questions.

My questions:

1. Subaru dealer quoted something like $750+ for replacement of rear pair. Local guy quoted something like $550+ for same pair of what must be OEM replacement. I'll go to the local guy on that one, but...

2. Local guy said if I could find them myself, he'd put them in. Suggestions on tracking down a worthy replacement pair? Suggestions regarding just going ahead and replacing all four (and purchasing a set of four) versus waiting for fronts needing replacement?

3. If I bought replacement (just rear, or both front and rear), why not upgrade? I'm NOT a tuner, but on the other hand, it would be fun to finally make changes that are upgrades that push the car's fun factor (which I modestly enjoy but do not pursue in any serious manner).

I'm seeing the most references on the web to KYB, then Tokico, and a bit on Koni. Am I over-buying to look into the KYB GR-2? the KYB AGX? Would these require purchasing some kind of additional kit just to install? I'm seeing AGX's from $450 to $650 for set of four, but is that overkill for me. With Tokico, I'm seeing reference to the HP gas strut and prices @ around $360 for four and for the Spec D set @ about $600. Am I overbuying? Will they be more trouble that their fun factor on city streets?

4, Though mentioned above, do I need to purchase supporting materials in order to purchase upgraded struts? Likewise, with closer to OEM replacement, is there another purchase I'll end up making that I should factor into the deal (I HATE getting suprised after the shipment is on it's way I needed more to get the work completed).

Sorry for the length and sorry if my brief search into other posts missed what would have been the answers to these questions. Any help with part or all would be greatly appreciated. I've loved the car as a daily driver. I'm even working my way thru a 2nd teenage daughter who will learn to drive while learning to do so on this manual transmission.

Thomas in Mpls
    My shop and I have installed 100s of sets of struts, probably close to 400 sets of struts/springs on WRXs.

For a street car daily driven, the GR2 is an OEM replacement and a good one at that. I always suggest people replace struts in sets of 4, because if 2 are bad, then likely all 4 are bad. AGX is similar to GR2 but are adjustable so you can adjust to a stiffer setting. Konis are a lot of labor because they are inserts.

As for installation costs, it should not cost more than $300 for the labor for all 4 and shouldn't take much more than 1.5 or 2hrs to install. We have done all 4 on a sedan w/o air tools in 27 minutes.

I would go with the GR2s which can be had for about $89/each at various online resellers.

-mike
    thanks for the reply. Since I posted, I went ahead and ordered the GR2's (all four @ $310) as well as replacement strut plates for front ($122 for pair) and back ($217 for pair) so I'm sitting at about $650. Didn't think I was really going to get my money out of the adjustables.

Local guy that's done work on this car (cylinder and radiator work) wants $522 for labor to do the install so I guess I've got to ask around about that piece if you're estimating $300.

Glad your advice matches what I seem to have come up with, though as I really want to get that new ride feel back.

Any thoughts on the benefits of those strut tower mounts?

T in Mpls
    Unless the originals were bad, and you'd know it right away (I just had one go bad on me) it's a waste of $$$ for the strut tops to get replaced. If you can return them, you should.

-mike
    Didn't get your post about strut mounts until the fronts arrived (and rears mounts and struts are on the way). Can't return them so I'm just going to tell myself the old ones just might be bad or the new ones are just part of the package.

checked about five places about putting in the struts and plates (front and back) and the estimates ranged from my regular guy @ $522 all the way up to $1000. Three of them were in the $700 range. OUCH! Guess I'll go back to the guy I already have working on the car for $522.

Thomas in Mpls
This discussion has been closed.