Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Freestyle News and Views

kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
edited April 2014 in Ford
Okay, the first point is to the HOSTS. Ever since you closed down the general thread for the Freestyle I feel kind of lost as there is no longer a general discussion thread for this vehicle. So I do not know where to put this thread so I am creating a discussion....

I was just reading this month's (December) Motor Trend and on page 18 there is an article on Ford's Fast Forward.

Now we all know what a bastion of reliability Motor Trend is with their accuracy so treat this as you will. It states and I quote:

Ford D471. Development started with the Fairlane concept from Detroit 2005, although the production model won't get that historic nameplate. Based on the front wheel Volvo S80 (Ford Five Hundred) architechure, it essentially replaces the Freestar minivan and will overlap with the Freestyle for about a year before that car is retired from the lineup. Styling is said to be much changed from the concept. Model Year 2009.

So if this is true and the new minivan/crossover "fairlane" is introduced towards the end of 2008 as a 2009, then the Freestyle may not get to see a 2010 model year.

Discuss!

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    So I do not know where to put this thread so I am creating a discussion....

You did good! I am tempted to change the title to something like "Freestyle: News and Views" to make it somewhat more general. We do have a "Freestyle: Meet the members" discussion but no one seems to have jumped into that one.

tidester, host
  • kjnormankjnorman Member Posts: 243
    I would be happy with you changing the title of this thread to News and Views.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Done!

tidester, host
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Last I heard, the Fairlane WILL NOT use the Volvo platform but will use a version of the Fusion platform which should make it less expensive than the Freestyle.

Mark.
  • coldcrankercoldcranker Member Posts: 877
    Less expensive? The Edge is based on the Fusion (Mazda6) and its more expensive than a Freestyle. I also heard the Fairlane concept was built off the Fusion, but thats just a concept car. Maybe they indeed will take advantage of the Freestyle (Volvo) chassis. It would be easier to make a 3rd row seat vehicle using the current Freestyle chassis than the Edge (Fusion) chassis. Anyway, this means the Freestyle name will last 5 model years. I wonder if the Mercury version of the Freestyle will happen?
    My take on it is that the "world and its wife" will be coming out with 6/7 seat (full seat for adults) cross overs (sport wagons on steroids) over the next few years. This will be the next hot segment.

In that time the Freestyle will be hopelessly outclassed. It sounds like Ford will replace the Freestyle and the decrepid Freestar with (hopefully) an edgier sport van with normal doors.

I guess we will see in a few years time. My only wonder is what will the end of the Freestyle do for my residues on my 2005 Limited....
    The least expensive 2007 Freestyle at my dealership is a 2007 Freestyle SEL FWD with MSRP of $27,005.00. So yes, Edge is Cheaper than a Freestyle.

Mark.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    Ah, the Freestyle ramblings thread is back! The last image I saw of the Fairlane was several months ago and man it is ugly! And I thought the Honda Element looked bad. American car styles will never go back to the sensual days of the late 50's and early 60's but please, how long is this quasi futuristic look going to last? I bought my Freestyle because I thought it was a pretty good looking car in addition to all its other features. My plan is to keep my Freestyle for 5 or 6 more years. Hopefully all the systems will last that long. I like the look of the Edge. I'm going to check one out next Monday when I go in for recall service. My hope is that there's a hybrid Edge when I buy again.
    I had to check it out. The Freestyle & Edge are almost identical in price range: 2007 Freestyle MSRP prices range from $25,545 - $30,680 (edmunds.com) across all models, vs. Edge's range of $25,320 - $30,720. Practically the same. (I paid $22,300 for an '05 SE model 1.3 years ago, incidentally, during some good discounting.)
    Well, it sounds like (Motor Trend, above) that the Freestyle will essentially evolve into the Fairlane (not called the Fairlane, though, when it comes out). Its 3 years away. Who is to say if Motor Trend is sure about this.
    Yep, most of the motoring rags are pretty bad when it comes to future model forecasts. Remember the days when it was speculated that the Freestyle would not even make it into 2007? However, the tone of this article appeared to have more weight behind it, and I have to admit that it would be a logical move by Ford.
    Freestyle is on the Volvo platform.
    Fairlane or whatever it gets called will not be. it will be on the fusion/edge platform.

Mark.
    The "foxrun" person, who works at Ford where they will build the Fairlane, can clarify it (an insider):
    Edge/Fairlane Common Platform
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    The "Fairlane" or D471 will be built on the D3 platform, which was developed by Ford with Volvo's help. It is based on the P2 Volvo platform which uses some aluminum components. The D3 architecture is all steel to make it cheaper to make. The Fusion platform's wheelbase was already stretched 4" to make the Edge (111"). The D3 was already designed for larger wheelbases like the S80 (111"). Stretching it 4" would make the wheelbase of the D471, which would make it longer than all it's competitors, except the GM's Lambda models that have a 118" wheelbase.
    SOLID FOUNDATION

The Ford Fairlane concept rides on an all-wheel drive version of the company's mid-size CD3 architecture, with fully independent front and rear suspensions. The Fairlane is the first CD3-based people-mover concept, demonstrating the architecture's flexibility next to its production mid-size-sedan cousins – the 2006 Ford Fusion and Lincoln Zephyr.

This architecture will eventually be the basis for up to ten unique vehicles in North America and approximately 800,000 vehicles annually over time.

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=1235&press_subsec- tion_id=421&make_id=92

Mark.
    arumage,
    Does the Freestyle have the high-boron HSS (high strength steel) of the XC-90? I'm not sure myself, but I don't think the boron made it into the Freestyle, although the safety cage around the passengers does contain a good HSS grade of its own. Do you know what Ford did there?
    according to safercar.gov, NHTSA rated the Freestyle WITHOUT the then optional side airbags as 5stars in side impact...

To date, Freestyle/Five Hundred/Montego are the only vehicles rated 5stars that were tested WITHOUT side airbags.

Now for 07 the side airbags are STANDARD.

Mark.
  • arumagearumage Member Posts: 922
    I don't think so. From my understanding, the Volvo used the high-boron HSS in the roof and pillars of the XC-90 to make it safer in a rollover situation. The XC-90 sits up quite a bit higher than the Freestyle so it's a bit more of a rollover risk.
    Talk about roll-over risk. I've seen so many SUVs rolled over its incredible. People who think the rollover risk is nothing should wake up and smell the statistics.
    You personally drive to accident scenes? or are these visions?

Mark
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    your post brings back some fond memories of a real hammer and tong discussion. that is all i want to say.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • northlakesnorthlakes Member Posts: 368
    For those interested in roll-overs, check out http://www.safercar.gov/Rollover/pages/RolloChar.htm

The Freestyle being a CUV, sits a bit lower than an SUV. Low center of gravity, track width, and suspension affect stablity ratings. It appears that 95% of roll-overs are tripping induced, so stability control would not be a great help. Also, more than 70% of fatalities in rollovers are due to lack of seatbelt use.

You can see that the Freestyle does well in rollover tests at: http://www.safercar.gov/RollRatings2.cfm?rYear=2006
    :shades:
    I just read a review of the Ford Edge in the December 06 'Car and Driver'. Very revealing. The AWD Edge weighs 400 lbs. more than the AWD Freestyle, it is wider than the Freebie, and has EPA mileage of 16 city/24 highway. It out-accelerated the Freestyle by one second from 0-60, but was noted to have long stopping distances. It costs $36,500 as tested (nicely outfitted). The Edge has been differentiated from the Freestyle by design and price.

:shades:
    northlakes, Edge different on price compared to Freestyle? Edmunds.com shows an identical price spread on the Edge vs. Freestyle.
    Not sure I fully understand your point, but there is a $10,000 difference in price between the Freestyle and Edge (give or take). If both Car & Driver and Edmunds show the same difference, it confirms that Ford is differentiating the vehicles by price and design. :shades:
  • bobw3bobw3 Member Posts: 2,989
    The Edge pricing I've seen ranges from $26-$36K depending on options, about the same as the Freestyle range.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    All of this discussion about the Edge and Freestyle typically fails to mention the biggest difference between the two. The Freestyle has an adult sized third row seat and the Edge doesn't. Because this is a requirement for me the Edge isn't even on my radar.

I still contend the Freestyle is the most practical package for a family needing 6 or 7 passenger seating in a non-minivan platform. Nothing else comes close. I don't understand why Ford isn't selling tons of them other than their "divorcemobile advertising".

- Chad
    I agree that the Freestyle and Edge are for different markets. The Edge is definitely more for the sporty and style and mid-sized, while the Freestyle is more for practical and family oriented.

actually, if you look on the outlook/acadia/enclave forum you'll have a lot of people with different ideas about the freestyle!
    northlakes, I was looking at the range in prices (MSRP) for all models of Freestyle ($25,545 - $30,680 range) to the Edge with a comparable, almost identical, price range of $25,320 - $30,720. These are prices of each model, and can go up further with more options piled on.
    I was looking at the AWD SEL models for both. The base price for the AWD SEL Freestyle is $28.4K, but with the two $1000 cash back offers, is currently $26.4K. The AWD SEL Edge base is $29.6K. The $36K price for the AWD SEL Edge was from Car & Driver for a loaded AWD SEL.

Adding maximum options to the Freestyle SEL could bring the price difference to within $7000 or better, but I noticed that even the same accessories cost 20-40% more for the Edge.

So, if you just go by base models, the AWD SEL Edge is $1000 more (or $3000 more until Jan. 1, 2007) than the Freestyle AWD SEL. The same accessories cost more for the Edge. There may be some overlap in pricing, but it seems clear to me that the Edge is meant to be more upscale. Its design speaks to its upscale nature.

So, back to the Freestyle, it is the right vehicle for me and I would not change my choice if the Edge were available two years ago. The C&D test drive added specs and data to the difference between the two. :shades:
  • volfangaryvolfangary Member Posts: 105
    In the following article:
    "Ford Motor Co. would have had three cars — the Ford Freestyle crossover and the Mercury Montego and Ford 500 sedans — make the list if they had stability control, the institute said. The 500 and the Montego earned top safety picks last year.

Ford spokesman Jim Cain said all three vehicles will get stability control for the 2008 model year, with versions equipped with the safety feature on sale sometime next year. The company has not determined whether the feature will be standard or optional, he said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061121/ap_on_bi_ge/us_safe_cars_5
    I seem to remember reading somewhere that this safety institute will no award top marks to any vehicle if it does not have stability control. I think this is just wrong! Having driving an AWD Freestyle for 18 months, the AWD version at least, does not need stability control. It is plenty safe as it is.

If it needs stability control then it is being driven by a complete Neanderthal that should not be on the road.
  • saabturboidsaabturboid Member Posts: 178
    kjnorman,

I think your comment is shortsighted. I too have been driving our Freestyle for the last year and can not recall an instance where I needed stability control, but you and I have been fortunate. Just like ABS or airbags this is a technology you hope you never have to use, but when you need it it can save your life.

It has nothing to do with how good of a driver you are. Anyone could have a car swerve in front of them on a two lane road, or have a car pull out in front of them at the last moment requiring a high speed maneuver to avoid an accident. There are many of these type of situations where stability control would save you from a certain accident regardless of your driving skill.
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    LOL if you live in Atlanta, a city of 41/2 million, you see every kind of accident there is. If not in person, on the news. Sadly, more often than not, if there is a rollover, it is an SUV.
    http://www.iihs.org/ratings/summary.aspx?class=55

Freestyle, Pilot, Tribeca and MDX all rank the best.
    Thanks rick2456. That has been my observation as well, many roll-over accidents involving SUVs just by driving a couple of vacations and around town in the last few years. For those who think stability control is not helpful, they are probably the same ones who think high center-of-gravity vehicles never roll over.
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "For those who think stability control is not helpful, they are probably the same ones who think high center-of-gravity vehicles never roll over."

They most certainly do roll over. However, the FS is not a high center-of-gravity vehicle, and has very good rollover ratings (4 stars).
    The Freestyle has a higher CG than cars, lower than Ford Explorers, in the middle of the pack.
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    I drove an Edge yesterday, and since i have a Freestyle, here are my comments and comparisons: the Edge is very good-looking, has good seats (better than the Freestyle in the front), a nice ride, decent handling, a good sense of solidity. However, its steering and brakes are not as good as the Freestyle's, and its transmission (6-spd) needs recalibration. Of course, the Freebie has more cargo room, but the Edge's interior is done better and you can get a full power seat on the passenger side. The Freestyle drives more like a car and, while its engine is not as powerful, the CVT is more cooperative. The Edge is a good vehicle, but needs a little attention to steering, brakes, and transmission behavior. The Freestyle is probably on its way out. But who knows with the way things are at Ford.
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,308
    do people want a totally new vehicle with the same name or the same vehicle that has improvements over a longer time?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    The Freestyle can be freshened up in the styling department, and maybe tweaked to give it larger tires for a version of it that would appeal more to people who value looks over fuel economy (bigger tires = less MPG). Why Ford created the Edge is beyond me when they could have just updated the Freestyle and had a better vehicle than the Edge!
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Member Posts: 468
    Agreed! But it is evident that there are serious planning problems at Ford. Now with their huge debts, the future is very uncertain, even survival is in question. I hope the Freestyle makes it into 2008 with the new engine and transmission, but I lament the passing of the CVT. My partner said maybe we should start buying spare parts.
  • vrmvrm Member Posts: 310
    Folks,
    What is the future of the Freestyle i.e. is Ford going to keep making this vehicle? Or are they going to rename/rebadge just like they did the 500?

I like the Freestyle and want to know if it will be available at the end of 2007.
    Now it looks like 2009 will be the last model year for the TaurusX, replaced by the combination of the Mazda6-based Ford Edge, the stretched Flex (D4 Volvo-based chassis), and the all-new unit-body Ford Explorer due out in about a year. The Freestyle and TaurusX were the D3 Volvo-based chassis, and I think the all-new Explorer will be based on the D3 (?-notSure). The Escape rounds out the small end of the unit-body crossover vehicles.

Ford has, and will continue to have, a huge selection of all shapes and sizes of crossovers.
  • tim156tim156 Member Posts: 308
    I was at my dealer body shop (small spot of rust in the channel of the rear lift gate)and the manager said the new design changes will happen in 2010.
This discussion has been closed.