Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• sligg1sligg1 Member Posts: 1
    2009 Malibu, LTZ. 3064 miles in 17 months. Seldom use the car.

I parked my 09 Malibu LTZ, shifted trans to park, left key in ignition, engine still running, exited car. Back in a few minutes and all four doors were locked. Had to call roadside service. Same thing happened two days later.

I have not been able to recreate this problem at home.

sligg
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    This could have been a good time to use OnStar to do a remote unlocking of the doors . I decided to renew my subscription for 1 year after my initial year when I got my car ! Even though I have OnStar , I still made a copy of the key and hid it somewhere on the outside of my car where I can gain easy acess to it . The $50.00(with coupon ) I paid for an extra key ( done at Home Depot ) was well worth it !
    Was Roadside assistance covered ? I would think so .
  • atrumorbisatrumorbis Member Posts: 1
    Just over 47,000 miles, my Malibu has recently been "stuttering" at low speeds (40 - 55 mph) / low RPM (1,000 - 1,500), while at a consistent speed (no accelerating/de-accelerating). This seems to happen more often when going up a hill, and is "cured" by accelerating or shifting down to "I". Does this sound like something typically fuel related (pump, filter, injectors, etc)? Electrical (sensors, plugs, wires, coil, etc)? Emissions (o2, cat, etc)? Or could it be something in the transmission? Any guesses / theories / hypothesis / troubleshooting tips would be greatly appreciated and helpful.
    Well, I finally got My 08 Bu going again .The issue was getting worse . I had also been getting the ... engine power reduced display .. right when I was cruzing on the highway. Coudn't go more than 40 mph . Had to turn off the engine for a few min and start up again to get it back to normal operating speeds . Luckily , I had the use of another car while my BU sat in my garage for 2 weeks.
    I had to wait 3 weeks for a "Special Order " Exhaust manifold gm pn 12618546. Apparently , it also includes the Front Cat converter . I googled the pn and came up with Saturn 12618546 MANIFOLD ASM-EXH (W/ 3WAY CTLTC CONV_.
    WOW, want a difference in acceration ! The mechanic's note mentioned , . removed O2 sensor , found high back pressure . plugged (I assume CAT ) RR
    Lets see what happens in the next few weeks.

FYI see
    http://www.aa1car.com/library/exhaust_backpressure.htm
  • gmfornow3gmfornow3 Member Posts: 17
    I am having a slight steering clunk whenever I turn the wheel to the right from a slow speed or from a stop. My 2008 Malibu is a V-6 with 26,000 miles. Has anyone had a similar problem, and if so, what was the fix?
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Spray it here with GM Super Lube, WD40 or PB Blaster. Don't even need to remove a panel.
    Your car should be under warranty.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f98/gonogo/Copyof1971218.jpg
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    That appears to be a bearing just below that and if so, definitely do not spray such stuff, it can ruin the bearing. If under warranty, let GM be responsible.
    And if it is a greased bearing, it is important to know what type of grease was used in it, if you attempt to lube it. Lithium, often white grease, and molybdenum are not compatitble. You might be able to find a synthetic grease that is compatible with either but again, oils will not be compatible.
    I agree. Don't lube ! If you do and it still does not solve the issue , then you stand a chance of voiding the Warranty ! Just take it in for warranty service . Let GM handle it ;)
    This is from a GM TSB, you really should not post if you have no idea what you are posting about.
    This is from a GM TSB, you really should not post if you have no idea what you are posting about.
    It's just common sense....not rocket science. If there is a TSB, let the GM service department take care of it....if still under warranty . If the car is brought in for warranty work, the dealer willl have a history of repairs done to that car ... just in case you need documentation for any future issues.
    BTW, I worked in the service industry for many years.
    I ran across a thread where a GM guy was conferring with his friends about the idea of adding a grease jerk to the intermediate shaft because of its know problems and then just pump it full of grease every so often. That was his idea!
    Ok, where does all that excess grease end up at? On the carpet?
    And just what grease do you use that will stay stable and not liquify running all over the place with the wide range of temperatures? And stay firm to take up the slack from wear over the same conditions? And how do you ensure that the same grease is used all the time?
    A major problem with suspension joints back in the day of grease jerks was the imcompatibility of greases and some mixed together would harden into a clay like material which wore the joints out and often made it impossible to pump more grease in.
    By all means, use great discretion if you decide to try a fix yourself. You may not have all the necessary knowledge. Even us more experienced people make mistakes so I would say a lot of people would do much worse.
    But some of us will chime in with advice and our experience which may be useful.
    I took the car into the dealer, and they lubricated the intermediate steering shaft under warranty. They said they only replace that shaft if they find damage. This did fix the problem.
    Interesting, do you know what lubricant they used and exactly where they place it?
    It has occured to me that there may be universal joints in the shaft and the clunk may be occuring because the bearings in them get dry. Especially if there is a great angle at the joint.
  • cande3cande3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2009 Malibu LTZ V6 and I have a humming and vibration I think coming from the front of the car when it goes over 65+mph. You can feel the vibration. It sounds similar to your issue. Was the dealer able to fix it?
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I had the intermediate shaft lubed on my 2000 Intrigue under warranty also. So far after a year and a half no issue with the Malibu.
    Technically, your vehicle does not have a Pitman Arm. They are used on vehicles that have conventional steering gear boxes, not at all on rack and pinion.

The closest part in resemblance would be the steering arm attached to the steering knuckle and I certainly hope they have not reverted to the joint on that.
    At one time, some designed the moving joint to be on the pitman arm and when it wore out you had to remove the arm from the sector shaft on steering box. Later, most put the joint on the drag link which lessoned the chance of damage to the gear box during disassembly. Gear box very expensive!
    Even during the day of that being the prevalent steering system, the movable joint would have been on the tie rod end and so it is with every rack and pinion setup I've seen.
    That really brings into question a serious problem if it was the steering arm. They don't have wear points. The possibilities of it going bad are: it was bad from day one because of machining errors and not caught during assembly. The attaching bolts were loose or became loose. The outer tie rod was not properly tightened to it or it became loose.
    In all cases you have a great danger. If they had become loose they had a great chance of becoming totally disconnected causing total loss of control. When loose you stand a large chance of the part snapping, breaking, and again total loss of control.
    Perhaps you should think this something for NHTSA. About half of those killed in the Toyota thing were passengers of the other vehicle.
    First, from your spray point, you don't seem to know what you are doing since those two pieces move as one so what are you lubing.
    Two, are you saying these three products are the same? Not sure what is in GM super lube and never heard of third product, but WD40, although it has some lubrication, it was mainly designed as a water dispersant, hence the WD. I hope you don't have water at this location because you have serious trouble if you do.
    Again, the cautions apply as I wrote previously. Unless you really know what you are doing, you can cause more damage in the long run. And that might not show up until after warranty or be blamed on what you did.
    I have not disassembled or seen details indicating the exact parts at that location. That is, if there is a bearing located just below the spray point, bearings always get grease and to short cut with those products will likely remove grease from the bearing.
    GM mechanics are not always fully knowledgeable and likely looking for a quick fix, right or wrong.
    BS
    Exactly. But do keep spreading it. It is valuable to plants.
  • martianmartian Member Posts: 220
    Hi:
    I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XR-I figured I'd get a faster response here!
    Anyway, how hard is it to change the sparkplugs? Is there a good site that shows how to do it?
    I belive the change interval is 100K miles-this seems way too long.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    service interval can be checked in the owners manual....my 04 Malibu Maxx goes to 100k before plug change.....you should have platinum OEM plugs on the Aura so should be the same interval change, be sure to replace them with another platinum tipped plug however..........as far as how easy....not sure....the malibu is fairly easy....but takes some maneuvering to get to them all.......
    There are platinum and double platinum.
    The double have both electrodes with platinum and I believe you need the double platinum to go 100K. Best to just go with OEM plug.
    edited May 2010
    Has anyone out there found good replacement wipers for the 08-10 Malibus. I bought some Armour All brand and they were horrible - very loud. I ended up with OEM replacements from my Chevy dealer which work great but they were a whopping $70.

The new style wipers are great except many of the ones in the stores don't fit so the brands are limited.
    A good replacement is Anco Countor, but they are not much cheaper, about $50 a pair; item C-21-BB and C-24-BB. Mine seem to need replacing every 9-12 months.
    I hade a minor steering squeak noise looked into at the dealer under warranty at 30,000 miles. This noise seemed to be coming from the steering wheel during low speed turning, inside the car. They replaced the steering gear/rack and aligned the front end at no charge. That fixed the squeak.
    Where can you buy them?
    O'Reilly Auto Parts has them.
  • ohgeezohgeez Member Posts: 12
    Great car and no problems after 18,000 miles. Love checking out those crappy 3, 5 series and A4, A6 little cars.
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    edited September 2010
    Just as we started having problems with the electric power steering in our 2008 Malibu about three weeks ago we received a recall notice from GM. On Monday it died and the car was rendered undriveable.

So for three days they've been working on replacing the electric motor. First, they did not have the part on hand, and now, the fix is such a big job they have to remove the console. I asked the service manager if they had the proper tools to do the job. He said yes and promises there will be no squeaks and rattles when the job is done.

Up this point the Malibu was bullet proof and we bragged about its quality and reliability incessantly. Now, I am not quite so sure. Nonetheless, I hope they extend the warranty on this new electric motor because I would hate to have to replace it in two years time down the road.

With the rash of problems involving the electric power steering in the Cobalt and now the Malibu I hope GM reverts back to the hydraulic power steering set-up.
    edited September 2010
    bwia
    Sorry to hear about your electric power steering going bad :(
    I also received the recall notice but no issues with the power steering unit..... yet .
    I do have issues with that Steering Clunk on my 2008 as mentioned a few postings ago. My bumper to bumper warranty expires next May , So ,I'll bring it in before it expires . I have 19k on it .
    They already had to replace the front exhaust manafold which contains a front Cat converter (POOR ACCELERATION, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON),. .Mine is a 4 cyl engine So far , no more issues there . See my past posting regarding that.
    What elso could go wrong :confuse:
    Hope you get your Bu back ASAP
  • geetsolboygeetsolboy Member Posts: 2
    I have had a problem with my 08 Malibu steering as well, it goes haywire from time tom time. You said there was a recall? I never saw a notice and can't find one on line. Did it come from your dealer or direct from Chevy?
    edited September 2010
    Maybe "Recall" is not the proper word to use in this case.
    I did receive a letter directly from Chev/GM stating. ".........some 2008 model year Chev Malibu vehicles equipped with electric power steering may have a condition where there is a loss of power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly.If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the driver info center will display a "Power Steering " warning message. On some vehicles, the Service Vehicle Soon Light will also illuminate ..........ect "
    "General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the loss of power steerling assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly
    If this condition occurs on your 2008 Chev Malibu within 10 years of the date your vehicles was originally placed in service of 100,000 whichever occurs first , the condition will be repaired for you at NO CHARGE......ect "
    I guess you can call Chev Customer Service Center at 800-630-2438 to see if your VIN number is included
  • uncledewey1uncledewey1 Member Posts: 25
    I had the same "recall" letter and called Chevy who said some messages went out in error and mine was not covered by the electric power stearing problem.

Uncle Dewey
  • geetsolboygeetsolboy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, appreciate the input. I've been mostly pleased with my Malibu. I drive 40K per year, it's very comfortable but some recent issues concern me. The steering being one and then a problem with power door locks not working properly. I've seen complaints on line about that issue as well.
    edited September 2010
    Still zero problems with my 2008 LT2 V6, its 2 years old now. Car runs perfect.

I am still amazed (after a week in a Fusion rental especially) how quiet and rattle free the cabin is on the Malibu. Very happy with my car, I would buy again in a heartbeat.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I rented both I4 Malibu and Fusion (latest models). Fusion is quieter and feels more solid than Malibu. Electric steering in Fusion is better than in Malibu. Seats in Fusion are also better. Cabin materials are of higher quality. Fusion simply feels like more modern and more upscale car from driver's seat. Engine in Fusion was so quiet at low RPMs that I initially thought that it is an hybrid and runs on electric motor and even looked under hood to discover that it was actually base I4 engine. But Malibu is more fun to drive because you seat lower and it is smaller in size and therefore more agile that Fusion. It actually felt more like compact with extended wheelbase than midsize sedan.
    I have 09 Malibu LT2 w/ I4. I test drove a Fusion, dealer demo car. I've driven five equivalent to my Malibu from rental when mine was in shop. (Saturn & Malibu).
    The Fusion was not leather & I don't remember if electric seats, but it did seem to sit lower. What turned me away was the quality of the seat. I could almost feel the springs in it. Terrible seat for a vehicle with such few miles. Like a 400# ape had driven it on railroad ties. The rentals I drove were crap as far as I'm concerned. Lower models without electric seats and abused. All of them had dents, dings, & banged wheels. Vehicles they likely could not rent at the airport anymore. I was not in any of them long enough to get a full impression. Certainly it was not encouraging as to what mine might be in 30K. The cloth seats were not much better than the Fusion, rather soft. But I did learn that the Malibu with manual seats sits a couple of inches lower than electric. Obvious because the switches at the bottom of the mirror partially obstruct vision with electric seats when they are all the way down. Apparently the electric mechanism is not able to fully collapse.
    So if you need head room, you might want manual seats, if you are set on a Malibu. It is almost as if electric seats was an after thought of basic vehicle design.

However, this Malibu seat, the suede, is quite firm with plenty of cushioning and seems to have it in the right places. I do miss the second back adjust, higher than lumbar, and wish it was electric.
    This is off subject from power steering, but thought it appropriate to Fusion comments.
    And I did not realize the Fusion was EPS. The handling of my Malibu is so terrible I can not accurately assess the EPS other than to say I know it has a serious problem, safety issue. But it is so intermittant it would take replacing every component and a prayer that I did not get a bad component in the fix. Handling may not be connected to EPS issue.
  • 88alfa88alfa Member Posts: 2
    My transmission seems hyperactive and always changing gears. I get a bit of "rubber banding" at 35 - 40 mph. It's fine on the highway but terrible for in town driving. The dealer had to replace the traction control module at 16,000 miles which involved dropping the tranny but the problem persists and they always say that everything checks out OK. Anybody else having same experience or have any advice?
  • starrmalibustarrmalibu Member Posts: 11
    I bought my Malibu a few months ago, and the salesman led me to believe it would be easy to get nicer hub caps. Well, he was new to Chevy, and I should have checked this out first. My Malibu's basic styling is nice. But it's boring looking. I wanted the pretty red color, but I could not find a used one in red, anywhere. My Malibu is white, and needs pizzazz. I was told by the parts department the other day that Chevy does not make any other hubcap for the 16 inch wheel size for the Malibu. Do any of you have an LS and have you gotten after market hubcaps or done anything. Also, I was thinking of getting blue stripes. But I've not seen any Malibus with stripes. I want it very tasteful, and want it to add the car's looks. Does anyone have any ideas for dressing up my Malibu? Thanks.
  • uncledewey1uncledewey1 Member Posts: 25
    I have seen Malibus with door guards whcih I suppose would help.

Uncle Dewey
    edited September 2010
    My 2008 Malibu LS came with pinstrips.I believe the dealer put it on.
    My exterior car color is Sandsone Metallic . The pinstrips are dark brown.
    I also have body side molding (factory)
    Anyway ,I had an 1996 all white Sunfire . I added black/red combo pinstrips and black door guards .It really added some pizzazz to an all white car . ;)
  • bmason77bmason77 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased set of 20" rims and tires. I purchased chrome door handle covers, chrome door pillars and tinted the windows. I have a chrome grill I have yet to install but all around my 08 8:24:31 AM looks very sweet. People ask me what kind of car it is cause the look changed so much. Cosmetics do go a long way. They now have body kits if you really want to change the look.
    What size were your original rims? My car has 16 inch so that really limits me. I can't afford to buy new rims, though. I had thought of buying the other grill, but I heard here in Florida where we have love bugs that they would get between the two grills, along with other bugs and it would be a big mess. If If my current size is 16 inches, I'm not sure if that's the wheel size or what? But the other models of Malibu currently being made have 17 they told me, so I can't use anything else currently made for Malibu. They said I could check and see what else might be made by Chevy for other models, as after market may not fit due to the way they are mounted.
    What things are in the body kits? Are all the things you bought meant for a Malibu or after market?
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,024
    Wouldn't these work?

Chrome Malibu Wheel Covers

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

It's time to replace my wipers on my 08 Malibu LS
    I wanted to see if anyone has updated info about the correct ones that will fit properly.
    I went to Pep Boys. In their book they list the 2008 Malibu BUT they just don't look right. Are there confirmed brand names/ part numbers that I can pick up locally .... other than from my Chev dealer in NJ ?
    Thanks
    There are a few aftermarket blades for them, google and you will find some. Another forum listed a few, don't have the link right now.
    edited December 2010
    Another forum mentioned •Rain-X Latitude- Version -2
    Went back to Pep Boys , they only had the Rain-X Latitude, though they look very good regarding wiper construction . Another one in ANCO .
    I'll check their websites for installation instuctions . I hate those adapters LOL.
    I'll keep checking... maybe ordering online
    Don't want to spend $70 from a Chev dealer .Thanks
  • djm2djm2 Member Posts: 712
    Hi All:

I need some help from the Malibu Owners. ----- One of my two vehicles is a New 2010 Chevrolet LTZ Malibu with a 4 cylinder engine, and a 6 speed automatic transmission. ----- My other vehicle is a 2007 XLE V6 Toyota Camry with a 6 speed automatic transmission. --- On a long highway trip, I can get between 30 & 33 miles per gallon with the Camry, but I can only get 27 MPG with the Malibu. ---- The Camry has Michelin Tires, and the Malibu has Goodyear Eagle tires. ----- Recently, I have been noticing that the tires on the Malibu loose air. The vehicle is serviced every 2,500 miles, and the tire pressure is set at 30psi, and at the end of the month I have 28psi on all four tires. ----- (This could be the reason for the lower mileage.) ----- I also have been noticing that there has been a lot posted on the poor quality of the Goodyear tires. ----- QUESTION: ---- has anyone had any experience with the Goodyear tires on a Chevrolet Malibu? ------ Best regards. ---------------- Dwayne :shades: ;):) :confuse: