Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Just wait for the real announced price. Guessing, speculating and saying "if it costs more than 'x," people won't buy it" is a useless waste of time when there is no price announcement.
    We all know the price will have to be competitive.
    Regardless of MSRP, it will sell for whatever the market will bear, so MSRP doesn't really matter. Street price is all that matters.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Check out the chevy emblem cut into the outside headlight, where the bulb would fit into. Nice touch. Like the interior color of this LTZ, would look great with red metallic paint inside of grey.
  • dodgeman07dodgeman07 Member Posts: 574
    Guessing, speculating and saying "if it costs more than 'x," people won't buy it" is a useless waste of time when there is no price announcement.

Yeah - but it's always fun! ;)

My '04 Malibu LT V-6 has 33,000 trouble free miles on it now. Still rock solid and delivering great MPG. I'll be looking into a well-equipped '08 LT 4-cylinder this fall and I'm hoping for a difference of $11-12K.

By the way, as a former owner of two Accords and a Civic, I'm one of GM's conquest sales! :D
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Love my 05 Maxx, paid $16K for it.

Just bought a Kia Optima for my wife-- paid $16.1 for it.

The Maxx has more stuff on it-- better driver information center, durable but cheap OHV engine that will (hopefully) be very low in maintenance cost (OLM indicates 7000 mile oil changes), power seat, power pedals.

The Kia feels smaller but Edmunds shows most internal measurements to be greater than a Saturn Aura (smaller but taller external size--bigger than the current 'Bu sedan but not Maxx internally).

The Kia has leather, 50 series Michelins and because of the better rubber and non-electric steering does handle quite a bit better. The interior, including instrumentation lighting, is a lot higher end although I'm not as critical as some of the current generation 'Bu, I think it's plain but rather pleasant and the ugly seat fabric looks durable and cleans well.

I like both of these cars and I'll really miss the full size hatch of the Maxx-- hopefully I ride them both into the ground because we all know both will depreciate-- not good cars to trade after three years.

The new Malibu looks very nice. I'd pay 17 or 18 (maybe)for it. There's plenty of good mid-sized (perception, not EPA) cars out there that can be had for a price and the Sonata and Optima are two of them.

I have no real brand loyalty. That caused me to buy a Chevy and Kia rather than a Toyota (good choice, apparently, given the new Camry's troubles). This means that a Malibu MIGHT be in the future but it'll have to hit a real price point.
  • 14871487 Member Posts: 2,407
    I think we need to acknowledge the car is far superior to the current model. Value is still important, but Chevy will likely charge more due the improvements in styling, interior quality, powertrain and features. Let's not forget a decently equipped Japanese V6 sedan is going to run you $28k+ so the competition isnt cheap. I expect the Malibu to be slightly more expensive than the Fusion and '07 Malibu.
    The 'Bu is in a tight value range, however.

There's two basic kinds of Chevy buyers:
    1. America only loyalists-- the genuine Chevrolet crowd.
    2. People like me who look to value and will go Korean if the price gets too high.

Having said that, I agree that the new one looks better. I'd pay somewhere about a thou over my Kia and a thou under a corresponding Saturn. That puts it in a rather narrow band at somewhere in the seventeens or low eighteens. Out the door, not sticker price.

Has anyone seen the car at NAIAS? With the Maxx's wheel base and that kind of overhang, this thing looks Impala sized. Of course if that turns Aussie RWD it will go up as well.

I still would miss my Maxx...
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    but you also have to look at your maintenance costs as well....you have a reasonably new KIA...I have an 03 and the maintenance costs are 3-4 times the cost of my 04 Maxx.....timing belt at 60K...dif flushes every 15K, tuneup at 60K, coolant flush at 60K and every 30 K there after...

the timing belt alone is almost $500..the first major service on my Maxx isnt until 100K......I like my KIA as well, but you have to maintain and document every scheduled maintenance procedure to mainting the 5/60 and 10/100 warranty in place.....

for a V6 Malibu...I look in the 23-25K range....when I ready in 08..it will definitely get a look....or the Cadillac CTS
    I've said many of the same things about my Maxx.

Love everything about it as far as maintenance. I'm wondering, however, whether maintenance will be higher with the OHC engine compared to the work horse 3.5.

I've read some interesting comments on the bobistheoil guy board from a GM engineer about the sophistication of GM's oil life monitor (they threw him out for dissing Amsoil so his knowledge was short lived), I really do believe that 7000 oil changes with dino are perfectly safe with the 3.5-- it's that easy on oil. What's the schedule with the ohc's?

Other than that, I think your point is well taken. Lots of people complain about GM dealers but I've found them to be the best. Probably for good reason, they're more humble than most of the Japanese brands.

For the record, Edmunds is apparently wrong on the timing belt on the 2.4 engine. Apparently it has a chain, at least that's the discussion on the Optima Board.

I have heard complaints about Hyundai/Kia and maintenance. Some of the complaints about my Elantra were that it was the only car whose rear bulbs I could never figure out how to change (120 bucks in labor to get 3 bulbs replaced), front lamps although covered under warranty were expensive H1/H7 bulbs like a Lexus. Tires were very expensive Michelin Energies-- crappy but expensive tires that went after 35000 miles-- sure looked a lot more high end than the mediocre Bridgestones on my Maxx but the Maxx's tires have worn a lot better.

I think the tires on my Optima are 50 series Z rated Michelins. Lot of expensive rubber for a 4 cylinder car. Hope the hell I don't rip one of those up. Also hope that I don't have to buy Z rated replacements. They insisted on H rated replacements for my Elantra even though the car had a lot less power than the Maxx.

In full disclosure the Optima's base rubber is similar to the Maxx's.

Car manufacturers: pay $5 a piece for high end rubber. Michelins sure look better to an unsuspecting customer on the lot. One tire blows--- $150 for a replacement tire. Twenty percent of customers are too naive to shop tires and simply replace with the same tire. End result-- big profits in tires even if they give them away to the manufacturer.

For some reason (maybe 6 air bags), my Optima's insurance was cheaper than even the Maxx. Big surprise because I paid a lot for my 01 Elantra. Maybe the Koreans are getting away from their habit of selling the car cheap and gigging on replacement parts.
  • robbiegrobbieg Member Posts: 346
    Initially, I think about half of the buyers who buy a GM car only consider a GM car. GM has in the recent past turned out subpar cars because they knew that could sell them to people who only buy GM cars. Look at the Cavelier, for example, how long did they keep final model in production for? I am just guessing, but maybe a decade? It wasn't the best in its class when introduced and GM still kept making it for all of those years. The trailblazer is another example. With the Malibu, GM has finally shortened the model life cycle. This will help big time in GM's efforts to make competive cars.

I am well aware that the current Malibu is much cheaper than the Accord or Camry. However, in spite of the price advantage the current Malibu has not sold well and can not be considered a success for GM. My concern is that when GM introduces the new Malibu they will close the price gap between the Malibu and the Accord and this will hamper their efforts to sell more cars.

Lastly, I disagree with you and do not believe that the current Malibu is head and shoulders above the current Sonata. When the 2008 comes out that may be a different story.
    The current 'Bu is cruder than the Sonata or Optima but it does have the very real advantage of being cheaper to maintain.

The new one looks to be about the same. That's why I valued it at a thou. better than an Optima-- roughly seventeen thou (of course I got leather with a 16K Optima). The savings would be in the Malibu's maintenance costs.

I still like my Maxx, however. GIMME A BIG HATCH, I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' SUV!
    I guess selling 245861 Malibu's in 2005 wouldn't qualify for a successful vehicle. I disagree, it was ninth on the top ten list for most sold vehicles in 2005. Honda sold 369293 Accord's in the same time, is there quailty that much better?

Anything over 200000 vechiles produced in one year is a successful product,this why GM had to updated the model. Yes the price will go up when you factor in the more expensive 3.6 DOHC engine along with the six speed tranny.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I really generally like the new Malibu very much. My 2 concerns are the cost of the V6 upgrade (we will know this summer I guess) and the V6 mileage which should be better IMO. Anyone know if the 26 MPG highway is under the new EPA estimates? Trying to figure out why the Outlook with the same engine is estimated at 28 MPG.
    That's way down from the 30 epa on my Maxx or the 32 on the same model sedan. Engine change and lack of electric steering explains it. Two areas in which the reviewers really knocked the current car. In the real, got to live with it, world are the new changes worth 6 mpg?
  • lonewaldenlonewalden Member Posts: 26
    Yes, 26 MPG is under the new EPA figures.
    If I was in the market for a NuBu, it would probably be with the four.
    If I was in the market for a NuBu, it would probably be with the four.

I agree - I rarely drive at higher elevations or fully loaded. The 164HP four will be fine for most of my driving. I suppose the occasional two-lane highway pass will require more planning, but I don't have a problem with that.

Sounds as if the LT 4-cylinder will stick with the 4-speed auto and 17 inch rims. I'm curious about the LTZ's 6-speed auto but it looks like 18 inch rims w/low profile tires will be standard on the LTZ and I want to avoid those for now (ride quality/replacement cost issues).

Any suggestions?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I doubt 18" rims will be standard on the 4 cylinder LTZ.
    Even if they are standard, that would mean that by the time you need to replace the tires, they will have become common enough that the extra cost for replacement tires shouldn't be a major issue.
    It's more likely that the 4 cylinder and V6 models will not have the exact same tires and rims.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    It looks promising (though I'm sad the Maxx version is gone), but right now:

1. The 'bu's cousin, the Aura, had a rather cramped back seat low on headroom. The 'bu seems to offer more of the same.

2. The 'bu's dash looks nicer than the Auras'. Thank goodness Chevy is using brushed metal instead of cheap chrome.

3. The suspension durability is unknown. Current '04 and up 'Bu's and all related models have clunks, rattles, and issues with electric power steering.

4. Manueverability is unknown. The Maxx already has trouble U-turning and manuevering in close quarters. Will the new 'Bu be any better (given it's based on the maxx chassis)?

Finally, will sales of the '07 'Bu flatline due to all the perceived improvements in the '08 model?
    3. The suspension durability is unknown. Current '04 and up 'Bu's and all related models have clunks, rattles, and issues with electric power steering.

I take exception to point 3. My '04 LT V-6 has had no suspension related issues at all. Rock solid with zero squeaks and zero rattles after 33,000 miles.

I also have had no problems with the electric power steering. You don't get the road feel like a traditional hydraulic set-up, but you do get a slight mileage increase.

My 'Bu has been a better car than the '92 or '98 Accords I owned. GM is on the way back! :)
    Agree with dodgeman07-- no trouble on MY car. There's been some negatives with these items on these boards, however. Whether that's significant for the entire universe of Malibus I don't know.

I do think that lots of GM cars tend to be troublesome in their first year.
  • m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    YES! Excellent engine choice, and thank goodness for no electric assist steering. Should be a good car. The Aura gets 28MPG so I would expect the same for the Malibu. May be a GM car worth test driving.
    -Loren
  • brianmabrianma Member Posts: 17
    I have an '05 Maxx LT V6 with 37K miles accumulated over 22 months of driving in the heavily potholed northeast and have had zero issues with the suspension or any of the running gear. My only complaint is the lower radiator mounting bracket which is right at curb height and if you pull in too far in a garage you'll whack it on the curb and it will break. It's a cheap fix, but you'd think some engineer would have protected it better from the outset as lots of parking lots have those darned curbs.

Saturn is running an Aura wagon prototype around the test grounds in Michigan and Arizona and word is they are 50/50 on adding this bodystyle for 2008 as it's an easy add given the Opel version has a wagon. If they do add a wagon, this would bode well for a Malibu wagon in 2009. Pontiac has a sportwagon in the plans for the 2009 G6 refresh as well. So keep your hopes up Maxx fans.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Glad to hear other divisions of GM are going to try the hatch/wagon approach. Hopefully they will get the styling right so people won't balk at it the way they did with the Maxx.

If the '08 'bu production interior comes through well fitted and tight, it should give Camry and others a run for their money. Even the '04 'Bu interior's a huge step above earlier GM efforts.
    It is not a success when Honda sold over 100,000 more Accords than Chevy did Malibus.
    I completely agree with you. However, I don't think that Chevy will price it a thousand over a Kia. Basically, isn't that the price of a Hyundai? Also, Chevy can not price it that much different that the Fusion.
    First of all the currrent Malibu did sell well. In fact, last year it outsold the Fusion in spite of GM cutting back on rental sales. Prior to the Impala being redesigned it had some really great annual sales.

I was saying the NEW Malibu is much better than the Sonata. The current model is competitive with the Sonata but lacks some key features like stability control.

A I already said, its unrealistic to expect no price increase with this car. If you expect to save $4k over an Accord than you will probably be disappointed and perhaps you should stick with Hyundai. You cant ask GM to make better cars, but then expect pricing to remain dirt cheap. Better cars cost more money. Isnt' this why the Camry, Accord and Altima are so expensive?
    PLease apply some common sense here, the Impala and Malibu compete in the Accord's price range. Last year the two cars sold over 450,000 units which exceeds the Accord. The Malibu is a success and outsells cars like the Sonata, Fusion, Mazda6, Passat, etc. Just because it doesnt outsell the Camry and Accord doesn't make it a flop. Get real.
    The Outlook isnt rated at 28mpg in any form. The highest mileage is 26mpg for the FWD version under the current EPA rules. Expect that to drop to 22-23mpg under 2008 system. The Malibu would likely get 20/28 under the current rules just like the Aura and G6. You arent going to find any V6 cars getting 30mpg on the hwy once they get tested for 2008.
    My 05 Maxx with the electric steering (not that bad) and low tech 3.5 V-6 does get more than 30 mpg on the highway. I think these engines routinely met or bettered their EPA ratings. That's certainly rare, however. Not pre-judging my Optima 4 cylinder since Hyundai engines are very tight and tend to improve for the first 5000 miles, but it looks like I'm averaging low twenties in city driving roughly three or four mpg under the EPA stated economy. I thought, going in, that I'd be satisfied if the Optima equaled the Maxx.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    Keep away bean counters from new Malibu! I would pay more if I like vehicle. If GM wants to compete with Koreans they can sell Daewoo, or establish a new brand if do not want to brand it as Daewoo. It is a wrong idea for established American manufacturers to compete with Koreans or Chinese. They never gonna win this battle. They have to move prices closer to Camry/Accord territory. They can price is slightly less but 4K is ridiculous- it means “cheap”, it cheapens brand with all consequences we saw over last decade.

Impala, if made correctly must be in Avalon territory price wise. Needless to say current Impala is old school and nobody is going to pay price.
    Like 1487 said when you combine the Malibu and Impala they sold 491000 -492000's vehicles in 2005. That's more than accord an acura sedan sales .

Average price per vehicle for GM's would be Alot less than Honda and Acura's average price ? GM's will last longer than the Rust(Cancer) car's from honda.
  • jntjnt Member Posts: 316
    GM sales numbers sometime do not paint the complete picture. There are quite a few Impala and Malibu sold to rental and fleet cars (40-50%)to keep the factories humming. They are mostly bare boned cars with little profit. Japanese's share to rental and fleet is substantially lower (<10%)

I personally want to see GM kicking both Toyota and Honda butts. But reality is a lot different on the ground: They are now losing to Koreans also. Their own Korean made car Chevy Aveo is now losing out to the better Honda Fit.

Hope that the new Malibu will slow down the downward slide for them. On paper this vehicle is competitive. It looks better than the old one when you see it in person (I saw it in Cobo Hall in Detroit yesterday). But it does not break any ground like the Chrysler 300 did. So overall, (personally) I am disappointed at GM Design for not having the best looking mid size sedan out there for Model Year 2008. If the new concept Accord coupe shown there has any indication for the look of the 08 Accord sedan, GM should be working on the exterior restyle of this new Malibu soon.

jt
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    That GM is going to offer any engine with any trim package according to Motor Trend ???? That means you can get a LTZ Malibu with the ecotec 4-cylinder engine. ;)

Just wanted to pint that cool factoid out. :shades:

Rocky
  • observer22observer22 Member Posts: 41
    Recent edition of Automobile magazine did a recent short article on the Saturn Aura and did a good job of pointing out its rather crude interior.
    The 08 Mailbu really needs an attractive interior to make it competitive.

Chevy put in a more reliable engine and better looking front end on the 06 Monte Carlo then took a step backwards by jerking out the earlier Monte's very comfortable seats.

Malibu's price point crucial, Sacramento Hyundai dealer selling base Azera (which is still loaded) for 20K, desperate Ford dealers cutting Ford Five Hundred base to $16.5K.
    The Malibu nor Impala get 50% of their sales from fleets. Where did you get that info? Malibu sales were down in 2006 primarily because of GM cutting fleet sales. The majority of Impalas I see on the road are LT3s or LTZ identified due to their 17" wheels. Hardly bare bones rental cars by my book.

The 300 may have broken ground in terms of styling, but its design was ripe for being a fad and that has proven to be true. I dont think the Malibu will be a fad , it has the kinds of looks that will stay fresh for 3 years or more unlike the 300. The 300s sales have been down quite a bit from its heydey a few years back when the look was "fresh".

The Accord coupe was an improvement over currrent HOnda designs (what isn't?) but it was hardly the showstopper you made it out to be. It was nothing more than a mix between the 3 series and tC coupe. I found it to be rather boxy and derivative. If that is the best Honda can do than I think the Malibu is in good shape. I also dont expect the Accord to be available with a 6 speed auto since the $50k RL doesnt have one.

GM design did have the best looking '08 at the show, the CTS.

"They are now losing to Koreans also. "

What are you basing this on? GMs midsize sedans have more features, performance and style than the Sonata or Optima. The Koreans give you a lot for the money, but thats where their advantage ends.
  • basiliskstbasiliskst Member Posts: 55
    The current Impala's cleaner styling foreshadowed the dramatically sleeker and cleaner styling of the new 2008 Malibu. GM has another winner in the pipeline. I've driven the 2.4 liter Ecotech in an HHR and was very impressed. With the new six-speed automatic the 2.4 liter four should be a great choice, and distinctive. Most Camrys sold are four-cylinder. So far no other manufacturer offers a four with a six-speed automatic. The '08 Malibu promises to offer serious competition to the Camry, Altima, Sonata and Accord. It will hurt Ford even more. The Fusion has some very good mechanical pieces. The Mazda derived 2.3 liter with the five-speed automatic is well balanced in the Fusion. The Fusion's exterior styling is good but the interior is totally uncompetitive with the new Malibu's interior styling and features.
  • ricksv70ricksv70 Member Posts: 12
    I am pleasantly surprised by the new Malibu styling; a more upscale look than the current model. Two things I would want to see in the new model are these: redesign that tacky looking shifter &#150; it looks like something out of a Chevy Cavalier. There is no reason why that concept Malibu has such a hideous shifter. Also, I will never purchase a vehicle which has only partial power seats. Why does GM and Ford offer a drivers seat with both power and manual seat controls? It is the little things that make the sale for me. Side note, I was just in Switzerland and I was amazed by all the station wagons &#150; there seemed to be more wagons than sedans. I looked at the big Opel wagons and was quite impressed. The big Opel would make a great Saturn. Incidentally all the Opels have the Saturn front-end (or should I say that Saturn has the Opel look). If we would sell cars like I saw there then the American manufacturers would rule. I can&#146;t for the life of me figure out why we get all the trash designs here. The Aura and Malibu are steps in the right direction. If Ford would import/build the next generation Mondeo for USA they also would turn their fortunes around. A new Focus was shown at the Detroit Autoshow &#150; another hideous design; the Euro Focus is built on the smaller Volvo platform and they are wonderful cars. Another thing I can&#146;t figure out is why do all the American cars that are sold in Europe has impressive diesel engines (that in most cases run cleaner and quieter than the gas equivalent) but we get the leftovers.

One last point about GM. Check out the new Austrailian Caprice/Statesmen sedan, it puts our Impala to shame and makes it look like junk. Perhaps the new Malibu will be a welcome change for GM; I truly hope so because I would like to purchase American again. GM make the Malibu a real quality and upscale knockout!! Pleae offer it with a nice looking shifter and a full power seat.
    One could get a lot of unbiased Automotive info (from passengers to Heavy duty semis) from the Automotive News. Besides news, this auto industry weekly periodical contains statistics on monthly sales, inventories (what on the dealer lot), and production schedules for each vehicle at any North American plant. In addition, it has complete info on manufacturing incentives (rebates). There is the European version of that also. Lately, they has the China (web based at least)version too.

I was impressed with with the Impala sales number from year to year until I read the fleet sales number. I will get the numbers for Impala and Malibu fleet sales when I have a chance to look it up again at the local library.

From the information, you can draw your own conclusion on the health of each car makers.

If you are interested in GM car sales number alone, you can also go to gm.com and look under investor info section. Just forget about the spin info and go for the hard numbers.

I was not impressed with the 08 Malibu exterior design. However, 08 CTS is extremely good. I have no doubt that it will do well.

jt
    While you are researching fleet sales, make sure you check out the fleet sales for the Korean automakers. everyone is talking about how great Hyundai is doing and how they are getting better than the Big 3 but they are not talking about the huge numbers of fleet sales being racked up by Hyundai.

I think it's safe to say that the majority of people are impressed with the Malibu's redesign and you are the exception.
    The next Impala due in 2009 will be RWD and based on the same platform as the Austrailan cars. The Pontiac G8 will be imported from Austrailia as soon as this year. GM will be bringing its foreign products here (Astra is coming as well) but you have to remember its much easier to sell great cars in Europe because they can charge a premium price for small and midsize cars over there. In America people expect small cars to be cheap and sparsely equipped. In Europe you can get fully loaded small cars and people will pay well for those cars. If the average GM midsize car had all the equipment available on Euro midsize cars you would have Chevys and Pontiacs costing as much as Acuras. Unfortunately, most buyers are not going to chose a mainstream GM brand over a luxury brand even if the GM cars were packed with navigation, 19" wheels, HIDS, etc. While the features on the Euro GM cars are impressive, I do not like the interior designs of the Opels and Vauxhalls at all. They are very dark, angular and bland. The material quality may be superior to their US counterparts, but the overall designs are too bland for this market. The interior fo the Aura looks much better than the Vectra.
    As I stated above. Have an 05 Maxx and just bought a Kia LS (base car).

One real advantage to the 'Bu is it has a partial (and useful) power seat. Go up in either car and full power is standard. Most cars at the base end have a big lever on the side of the seat (ala Kia), or two dials to twist (more adjustments but tougher). Putting a partial power seat on a base car is a plus over the competition IMHO.

I'm sure the LTZ will have full power seating.
    From a distance of a half a block, I thought I saw something which looked like the rear end of a new Malibu. Could this be a test vehicle? I circled around and caught up the car only to find out it was but a Suzuki Verona. Oh well, too many cars starting to look alike these days. The exterior up front may be better on the Malibu compared to the Aura, but the rear of the car is not too exciting. I do like the interior design. That may be the biggest plus for the Malibu vs. say the Aura or G6.

Anyway, what's a Matador, use to be the question. Now it is the Verona!
    What a rare find; and not bad looking.
    -Loren
    These GMDAT (GM Daewoo Automotive Tech.) or Daewoo cloners (Suzuki Verona and the likes) are also called Chevrolets in other markets like EU and Asia. So don't be surprised if you see the name Chevrolet on the same car if travel to Europe. In this country (US), GM only imports one version of GMDAT. It is the Chevy Aveo. Most of Suzuki cars sold in this country now are GMDAT badged vehicles.

jt
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    I actually saw and was not surprised. Kind of Suzuki with Chevrolet badge. But Fords are much nicer.
  • cooterbfdcooterbfd Member Posts: 2,770
    I guess selling 245861 Malibu's in 2005 wouldn't qualify for a successful vehicle. I disagree, it was ninth on the top ten list for most sold vehicles in 2005. Honda sold 369293 Accord's in the same time, is there quailty that much better?
    ------------------------------------------------------------ Also, remember, that the Accord (and Camry) cover TWO price ranges ($17-23K and 23-30K),whereas the Malibu Max's(no pun) at around $24 and then the Impala takes over. When you look at Chevrolet's sales of both models, they sell far more than Toyota or Honda.
    Interesting. Must be a mid-west area for sales exclusive. Here on the coast of California, I see few Malibus, unless they are rental cars. Matter of fact, with the New Malibu being such an upgrade to the present, why they are carrying over the name is beyond me. Tell someone you bought a Malibu, and I assume they are thinking you bought a rental or lease return of some sort. The classic 1968 Malibu SS may no longer come to mind. Actually, the New Impala will be one Chevy with the most anticipation. Not to say the FWD Malibu may not prove to be a good car.

As far as comparisons to the Accord -- The old Malibu to Accord :confuse: no way.
    -Loren
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    come available with a 5-speed manual transmission? That is the 'Bu for '08 that I would choose. The stick shifts generally cost around $1,000 less than the autmatic transmission model, which is good, but that's not why I would want a stick. Ever since I traded an automatic '97 Ford Escort sedan in on a '99 Kia Sephia with a stick I've enjoyed driving 5-speed sticks much more and would want the same on a 2008 Malibu. Who's gone to the '08 Malibu website already and researched this?

I have several cars on my futures list and two of them are the '08 Malibu(if a manual transmission is offered, if not it's axed from my list)and the 2007 Kia Optima base model like csandste's, except I would go with the stick. I know that with new college grad discounts and loyalty rebates, etc., whatever other discount I could find, including just offering less than sticker, I could pop my fanny into a '07 5-speed Kia Optima base model(BTW, the Optima offers a lot of feature content on it's base model)in Ruby Red shiny paint for around $14,500 to $15,000 plus T&L. For the amount of midsize car I would get that deal is pert-near unbeatable. Oh, the HyunKia Long-Haul Warranty? It works and Kia will stand behind it. Just don't look to burn them, they'll want documentation of maintenance records, etc. I know I'll get a good rig with a Kia. I've bought two new ones in a row and the Optima is getting great marks for safety and quality.

Who of you think that a nearby Chevy dealer would offer an '08 'Bu(if 5-speed manual tranny is built)for anywhere near $14 or $15,000 grand? Tell ya what, this is the first new Chevy I've liked since I've mildly looked at Aveo's. The Malibu I'm considering taking a second look and maybe even taking a fun test drive in one.

I think Chevy's done a great job on the front of the 2008 Malibu and the rear is OK, but not ugly by any means and no deal killer. In fact, it brings up visions of Mitsu Diamante's from the early 2000's from back there. That's not a negatory, really. Just different. Different is not bad, not by any stretch.

I've got two main questions about the '08 'Bu I need answered. How much will the 4 cyl cost and will Chev offer a 5-speed stick shift with it. Some of you's may already know the answer to at least one of these burning questions. :D

I'm guessing $17,995 for a base model '08 Malibu with automatic transmission. If Chev offered a 5-speed manual transmission base model for $16,999 I'd perk up my ears a tad. :shades: This new 'Bu is a looker!

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• e2helpere2helper Member Posts: 1,002
    No manual
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    offered on the 2008 Chevy Malibu at all. :cry:

Enjoy your 'Bu's if you get 'em, that eliminates me from the competition.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    No demand, no surprise. Why add it?