Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Ok guys. The nav may be expensive but really? who pays MSRP for cars nowadays?
    :)
    Mackabee

• bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    Dude nobody pays sticker, but you are still negotiating 2000 higher thatn you would without the nav
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    invoice on the nav system on the new CTS is 2610 vice the 3145 MSRP, but that also includes an upgraded audio system as well....and you are right...most dont pay MSRP unless its the hot car first year, high demand.....dont think the 08 malibu will fall in that category.....
  • kgabehurtkgabehurt Member Posts: 84
    Oh yes they do pay sticker. Try the new 08' CTS and/or the Wranglers. They're lined up like ducks in a pound waiting to get slaughtered.
  • wandlwandl Member Posts: 40
    With all the technological advancements like side airbags, stabilitrack, Onstar and even an updated engine with their 2.4L, why an old, outdated and clearly inferior 4-speed transmission?

They did it with the Saturn Aura when they dubbed it "Camry killer". More gears typically means lower RPM's at cruising speeds, meaning quieter (in most cases) operation, meaning better gas mileage.

Why not spend some $$$ to develop a 5 speed tranny like your competition (Honda & Toyota) rather face the flat sales that the Aura has suffered? :mad:
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    It's my understanding that the 4-speed will soon be replaced by the new 6-speed automatic on all Malibus and Auras. They needed time to ramp up production on the new 6-speed.

Incidentally, as 4-speed trannies go, GM's is excellent. By cantrast, however, I've read that recently Camry transmissions have been problematic.
  • wandlwandl Member Posts: 40
    The Camry and Sienna have a slight hesitation to accelerate, its a software update from what I understand, but can cause and probably have caused accidents because when you push the gas, it takes ever-so-long to actually accelerate.

Honda's actually also somewhat notorious for their trannies, which is why their 2000-2002 Accord's (I think) have an extended powertrain warranty because of the perceived problems...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with intended owners of the 2008 Chevy Malibu who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Thursday, November 15, 2007 and include your city and state of residence as well as the age of your child/ren.
    See this is how rumors get started. Now the Sienna has slight hesitation to accelarate? when did this one come about? There have been faulty transmissions with early 07 Camry V6 which were corrected very early. This just perpetuates things that are no longer true.
    Mackabee

• boodrowboodrow Member Posts: 15
    Where is the 5 speed manual transmission? If this car came with a modern diesel engine and 5 speed I would already be in line to buy it.

It looks like it will be a good buy when it is two years old after the normal GM depreciation. All in all, nice car but give me a diesel........ :cry:
  • albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Where is the 5 speed manual transmission? If this car came with a modern diesel engine and 5 speed I would already be in line to buy it.

You, and not many others. I can see the deisel, but a manual is not big in this market. And Chevy has to appeal to the masses.
    None. How could chevy leave this out? It's something so simple. That's definitely getting dinged for comfort/ quality.
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    hello,

i'll be attending a social media preview for the 2008 malibu in a couple of weeks (november 2/3) and i was wondering if there were a list of questions that you'd like answered?

when i get a chance to ask questions at the preview i'll try to get through as many on your list as i can. it all depends on how many people speak up at the event.

i will be happy post back the answers to this forum.

thanks,

rwcmick
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Thank You.
    Question: Does GM have any plan to put a manual transmission into the new Malibu?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    When will the 6-speed automatic become available on other 4 cylinder trim levels besides LTZ (phaseout of 4-speed)?
  • hpmctorquehpmctorque Member Posts: 4,600
    Re Message 513, assuming the '08 Malibu indeed has no rear center armrest, even in the LTZ, please ask why this feature wasn't included.

Do Camry, Accords, and Altimas have rear center arm rests? If yes, is it on all trim levels, or just the top one(s)?
    The Saturn Aura doesn't have the rear seat armrest, so the Malibu is the same.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    C-pillar was better than I thought

Rear is better than I thought.

Thought it would look a little like a Mitsu. Diamante, but in person looks more like a Toyota Avalon. Maybe even a VW Phaeton with the c-pillar, I know Lutz was trying to emulate a European look.

Gray LT interior will be criticized for looking bland, didn't find it too objectionable. Will have to make my mind up on the instrument bezels when I get behind the wheel.

Lutz brags about the hood, but this leaves an additional seam. All seams look tight.

Chevy logos on lights in front and rear of car.

I questioned a post that called a 57 inch tall car too low but it looks very low for something of this height. Windows are smaller than present gen. but I guess that's the present styling trend. Rented an HHR last month and got used to the small windows, wonder how they'll go with the wide c-pillar? Blind spots?

To me it looks about as good as the Accord and better to me than the Camry. Details might be better than Aura, but I'm not sure if the overall design is as clean. Haven't checked but I think it's shorter than the Accord, has that "big" look,like the Accord, however. Don't know if I like the constantly expanding size of mid-sizers into large, but I guess it's to match the increasing butt and gut size of baby boomers.

Haven't checked the lack of a rear armrest, but will be disappointing if it's missing. Comes in handy in my 05 Maxx.
    http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55783

It appears that the Aura is getting 6-speeds, so the Malibu is probably the same.

So the 2008's with 4-speed auto look like a stop gap until they're able to increase production of the 6-speed automatics.
    Yes, and yes.
  • paopao Member Posts: 1,867
    I know...different classes of cars...but hey...currently in 04 Maxx LT.....looking at the new 08 Malibu....08 CTS and will wait to see the 08 G8....

right now....for the $$...I leaning toward the CTS....test drove this weekend..and WOW....will wait on the others...before deciding how much $$ I really want to part with....
    As an owner of an 05 Maxx (and user of general 'Bu boards), I was disappointed that the 04-07 cars were mixed in with the earlier Malibu/Classics. Just made it tougher on everybody.

Hopefully people will start things off right with expanding the 08+ Malibu boards to reflect the new platform and not mix things up further.

BTW--the new car does look better at the dealers than the pictures indicate.
  • rvothrvoth Member Posts: 147
    Today I was my first 08 LTZ malibu , loved the what they have changed . The front interior is a better improvement over the previous model, smoother lines with the dash and center console. The rear seating area is tighter than my 05 with alot less head room with that sloped roof. There is this annoying bulge in the roof that starts from the dome light on the roof and goes back to the rear window.
    The trunk space has a higher lift lip than previous model and the width of the opening is alot smaller, the length of the trunk is longer. Although the mechanical support for the truck doesn't protrude into the truck space like the old model .

The front view could be mistaken for the Impala but it's different. I will be keeping my 05 malibu it's has more room than the new 08. Just my opinion.
  • pmerk28pmerk28 Member Posts: 121
    Took a long look at the new Malibu at the Long Island Car show. Looks very nice on the outside. Interior is better BUT (insert the killer phrase here) it's still not up to the level of Toyota ( which has gone down) Honda ( ditto) or Nissan ( which has gone up). GM generally sells price not product and the Malibu will probably do nothing to change that. The gauge cluster is particularly cheap looking. I won't cross if off my list though.
    GM generally sells price not product and the Malibu will probably do nothing to change that.

This and other GM models are fast changing that. I have no doubt that the Malibu will gain some huge market share, because this actually feels like a respectable model. Camry will still be no. 1- for now. But in 5-10 years?
    This and other GM models are fast changing that. I have no doubt that the Malibu will gain some huge market share, because this actually feels like a respectable model. Camry will still be no. 1- for now. But in 5-10 years?

It's going to take a string of hits from GM to make people forget all the lousy cars they have put to market. Where I live in the NY metropolitan region the reputation of GM passenger cars seems almost beyond repair. For once I would like them to produce a passenger car that beats Camry/Altima/Accord hands down. Instead the only reason you ever get for a buying a domestic nameplate sedan is " "it was cheaper"

Hyundai and Kia have a better reputation around here than GM. It really is a sad state of affairs. GM just cannot seem seem to build a competetive passenger car with the right combination of features/looks/driving dynamics and quality at a price point people find acceptable.

Everytime they make an attempt it's the same story: leave off features people want and expect (like bluetooth), make the interiors better but still have enough cheap parts to remind you it's not a Honda, always trail in mpg estimates. It can only be good for the buying public to have more competition but it's hard for me to see GM ever getting there. I hope they do.
  • savethelandsavetheland Member Posts: 671
    When I sat in new Camry I could not figure out what is wrong with interior, but something was certainly as high quality as used to be.

But with Aura I immediately noticed shiny plastics and flimsy door panels and arm-rest as well as a hard plastic on lower dash. GM's problem is that they cut corners at places that user frequently sees and touches. It irritates a lot during everyday drive.
    Like I said before- GM is changing their image. The Malibu is one of an expanding number of GM models that are more reliable and better fit the competition. THe malibu almost fits what you want GM's perfect passenger car to be. Sure it may just lose to the Camry here and there, but the Camry has been one upped, too, by the Accord. THere is always something better. Gm's improving. And they don't have to erase an image. All they have to do is score a couple of hits from a consumer guide giant, like COnsumer Reports.
    "Sure it may just lose to the Camry here and there, but the Camry has been one upped, too, by the Accord."

In what respect? Other than the coupe the sedan is nothing to brag about. Looks like Saturn and Gm had a hand in designing it. If anyone one is going to catch Toyota and Honda it will be Hyundai. They are in their rear view mirror and gaining. Go ahead and laugh but I will bet the house that in 5-10 Hyundai is on par with Honda and Toyota if not ahead of them. Look how long it took Toyota to get where they are today.
    Mackabee
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Don't let the Honda fans here you say that, they tend to slam Hyundai quite a bit. Good thing you posted it in a spot most of the avid fans avoid :) . But I do agree, if Hyundai plays it right they can reach that level.
  • bmarkbmark Member Posts: 52
    I am not sure what you all are talking about but Hyundais are some the ugliest most boring cars on the road. Yeah the relaibility is good but who cares they are crap
  • wayne21wayne21 Member Posts: 259
    Don't let the Honda fans here you say that, they tend to slam Hyundai quite a bit. Good thing you posted it in a spot most of the avid fans avoid . But I do agree, if Hyundai plays it right they can reach that level.

My accord was very well cared for, but had TWO bad transmissions (transmissions have been a problem for honda for years - google: honda transmission problems). No other problems with the car, but believe the hyundai sonata to be just as good a car for a lot less money. Just as honda has had transmission problems for years, Toyota has had engine sludge problems (google: toyota engine sludge) and the new camry 6 speed automatic has a lot of problems. So you pay your money and take your chances.
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    I stumbled upon an opportunity to test drive a 2008 Malibu LTZ today.

Jewel Red exterior, cashmere/cocoa interior, sunroof, rear power pack.

I currently drive a 2005 Malibu Maxx LT (which I like). Here are my impressions:

Exterior: Car looks MUCH more upscale than current model. From far, I think it kind of looks like a Lexus GS series. The 18" wheels do look nice (but probably expensive to replace...). There are lots of nice chrome details such as the rear border around the license plate along with the dual exhaust pipes. Overall, a very nice looking car that catapults this Chevy into another realm.

Interior: Overall impression is very nice. The door panel sides are somewhat soft, not the rock hard plastic in my Malibu, making a nice resting area for your elbow. The switch gear all have a nice upscale feel to them - movements are liquidy, if that term makes any sense. The interior materials and colors do blend well with one another. The center arm rest is nicely padded, slides forwards and backwards, and there are multiple compartments within it. The seats were supportive, and with the seat adjustments, the tilt/telescoping wheel, and the movable pedals, there is no way anyone should not find a comfortable seating position.

As for a complaint, I was not as impressed with the radio as I had hoped to be. I set the equalizer up properly before listening. While the sound was loud and never distorted, it felt kind of boomy/flabby. Maybe after awhile the speakers would sound better, but not sure at this point.

I was surprised though in that the space, especially in the rear, is kind of on the small size. I researched interior size against Fusion, Accord, etc. and by numbers the Malibu is smaller. In reality, it does hold true.

Ride:
    The driving impression was solid. The car had nice pickup (I noticed a little, not too bad torque steer). The engine note was muted, but MUCH IMPROVED over my Maxx (not tinny at all under hard acceleration). The transmission shifted smoothly and downshifted quickly. I did try out the paddle shifters on the wheel, but I did not have time to test them thoroughly. The suspension felt right - tight, but not punishing.

Overall, I really like the car. I am a little concerned with the size (I have 3 small kids is the reason - should be sufficient for most others). I also hope that my initial impression of the radio was just a bad one and that the sound is much better than what I heard today.

Right before the test drive, I drove a Mercury Milan V6 Premier. The one I drove had many of the same features without the sunroof, stability control, wheels were smaller, no remote start. But for the Milan it was fairly loaded at $25k. The Milan is also a little bigger, but it actually drives a little tighter due to suspension set up. This too was a nice car. I think transaction price between a loaded Fusion/Milan with comparable (but not same) options will be about $2k - $2.5k less vs. the LTZ.

That being said, Chevy has a winner here.
    All makes and models are supposed to improve on the previous generation. The fact that this new Malibu is much better than the outgoing model is irrelevant. The point is can this car compete with Camry/Accord/Altima? Three models which in combined sales move probably a million units a year without sitting all over rental lots. Looks go along way and this car looks very nice. Unfortunately GM's well earned reputation of making cars inferior to Toyota/Honda and Nissan is going to take a long time to be erased. If ever.

Gm needs hit after hit in the passenger cars segment that do not require $5,000 of MSRP to move off the dealer's lots.
    Considering that the car is at dealers already, I'm surprised that there are few very detailed road test reviews from the car web sites or magazines?
    Don't let the Honda fans here you say that, they tend to slam Hyundai quite a bit.

Yeah- like this guy:

I am not sure what you all are talking about but Hyundais are some the ugliest most boring cars on the road. Yeah the relaibility is good but who cares they are crap

This statement makes no sense. Who ever this guy is he needs to think before he posts, and he is just mad because the media gives Hyundai Sonatas more praise than his Camccord. Forget 5-10 years from now- Hyundai is as good as Honda Toyota NOW. Compare their SUVs. You'll see.
    Present rides 05 Malibu Maxx and 07 Kia Optima.

I think that the new 'Bu roughly equals the Accord and comes in better than the Camry. Frankly I think my Optima beats the Camry as well at least in the fit and finish department. The Malibu looks better all around than both the Optima and Sonata although the 09 interior Sonata upgrades may put it back on top if it matches (say) the Veracruz.

Didn't get in the back seat but had plenty of front room. The two tone brown leather looks much less garish than in the pictures. The Accord's interior may be slightly better but I like the exterior lines of the Malibu. I know Lutz likes the new hood but it gives it an extra seam on each side of the front clip. The seams do seem pretty tight, though.

To me the interior looks better than the Saturn Aura, but not the exterior. So, if you had a three way comparo with an Accord and an Aura the 'Bu might finish second out of three on both interior and exterior design.

I'm not a huge GM loyalist. Neither am I strictly for American cars. In the last twenty years I've had good luck with three Korean cars, a fair amount of used Prizms and Toyota Camrys, two GM cars and a Dodge van (only troublesome car since the mid-eighties, really). I'm happy with my present rides but would be wide open for a replacement.

All in all a big improvement on the present car, too bad they killed the Maxx. I still love my Maxx! Nothing beats a largish hatch.
    The new thing instead of wagons is CUVs- like the Equinox. But the new Malibu would look great in hatch form- really great.

Can't wait to see the new Impala!
    I agree, but their reputation for shoddy quality from the mid eighties still lingers on with many consumers. The Veracruz is a hell of an crossover. I put it next to a Highlander and I was very impressed with it. I would buy one myself if I were in the market for something like that.
    Mackabee
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    Went to the seattle auto show yesterday to look at replacing the wife's SUV. Also wanted to look at new sedans, especially the Malibu and the Accord.

Either I missed it, or Chevy did not bring it, but I could not find an LTZ (highest trim I think) Malibu to look at. There was a very plain model to climb in - not bad, but I wanted to see the best Malibu that Chevy is going to offer.

Over at the Honda display I saw a mid level accord and an EX-L V6 with Nav - nice car IMHO.

I was dissapointed that I could not compare the both top of the line cars back to back. :confuse:
    Whew, okay I'm back from the Malibu launch event in Memphis. I do have the answers to your questions, but unfortunatley it's a four pager, so I don't think I can cram it all in here.

http://allcarsallthetime.blogspot.com/2007/11/2008-chevrolet-malibu-review.html

I hope that I answered everbody's questions.
    Very complete review. Thank you.
    It's really odd that there are not more road test reviews on this vehicle. This car is already released and there are more reviews available for some other vehicles that don't go on sale for weeks or months.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Lonestar98 - Thanks for the complete and balanced review. Did you get a chance to drive one in a highway setting? I drove a LTZ Friday and on one stretch road at lower speeds it tracked straight and true. On the interstate doing 70 mph it drifted to the right where my old car does not. Did you notice this situation? Thanks.
    rmanke,

we did get some freeway mileage in. i didn't notice any drifting between 60-80mph on the cars that i drove, they all tracked straight. lot of factors though: crown of the road, crosswinds, difference in tire pressures, etc. i'd take another test drive in a different vehicle and see if you can repeat it.
  • deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    Thanks. I'll give another LTZ a shot as soon as one comes in. This was the only V6 in our area Friday.
    RManke,

When you do take a test drive again, use the Driver Information Center to see what the tire pressures are. The cars that I drove and was most comfortable in were running at about 30psi front and rear. Make sure all the pressures are even. Good Luck.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Saw my first 2008 Malibu today, the LT model. Interior reminded me of the Saturn Aura, but better finished (some plastic panels were warped, though). The chrome is supposed to convey luxury, but every car I've driven with chrome inside the cabin gets very annoying once sun bounces off chrome into eyes. General fit/finish was as good or better than '08 Camry sample parked next to it. Bu's Seats were comfortable, rear seat very roomy (no surprise on latter as a somewhat revised Maxx chassis is the basis for the new 'bu). Trunk was rather low in heigth but but well finished - good touch with the struts.

I didn't drive it as I'm not really interested in Sedans (also, Bu's gotten longer than my current Maxx - too big for a single driver). But dealer told me they simply couldn't sell the Maxx (I guess Americans are hooked on trunks).

If '08 Bu holds up well and proves reliable, Toyota has a real competitor.
    2LT Interior with suede seats

LTZ interior