Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008-2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    The problem with relying on the bluetooth built into a portable nav is that you have to pull out the nav every time you drive so the bluetooth is available even if you have no need for route instructions.

If bluetooth is installed in the car, it's always available and you only need to pull your portable nav out when you really need it.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    OK, I understand. I thought that you were saying that there was some physical limitation as to why a NAV system couldn't be offered currently, as it related to On-Star somehow.

That was what I failed to understand. Its quite different if a manufacturer, for whatever reason, elects not to offer a particular functionality...for whatever reason.
    People bump into each other when they aren't on the phone. Just because she had a headset, means nothing.
    If you moving without looking at where you're going, you will hit things.
    My point exactly...some folks with cellphones get so wrapped up in their converstations that everything else becomes secondary.

While hands-free technology will certainly help reduce phone induced accidents, it will never completely save us from the morons suffering from obcessive cellphone distraction.
    Has anyone seen the TV commercial on the new Malibu that GM is running during the basketball playoffs?

Basically, in 30 seconds or less, they show a Malibu body being assembled (seats installed, dash and windshield installed, etc. all the way to a completed vehicle) and then they end the commercial by saying something like ...

"Malibu....built for life!"

This isn't a commentary on the quality of the Malibu, but somehow, the impression of something as complex as an automobile being assembled in a matter of a couple of minutes doesn't give me a "warm and fuzzy" feeling that this item will last a lifetime.

If I ran GM's marketing dept., I think I would have run a couple more marketing tests on this advertisement before showing it on national TV.

But, that's just how I interpret the advertisement...
  • jerrywimerjerrywimer Member Posts: 588
    While it's true that they include the OnStar nav service, the statement that 'They just don't make a factory nav system for the Malibu' is false. What I said was what I meant it to say- this epsilon platform's electronics and data bus don't support the capabilities (data throughput, among other things) that GM's in-dash nav systems need. The next-gen cars (built on epsilon 2) supposedly fix that issue. It's possible to install on of the aftermarket all-in-one headunits (Pioneer, Alpine, etc.) to get the functionality, but since GM's headunits are now a fairly integral part of the rest of the car's electronics, this usually requires also buying one or more additional modules / adapters to preserve functionality provided by the factory headunits that isn't included in the aftermarket jobs (OnStar, door chimes come to mind).

BTW, jaxs1, the bluetooth is coming part of my post is also, like the nav-not-compatible thing, straight from GM. I believe the 09 models will have integrated bluetooth capability. I wasn't the one mentioning using the portable GPS' bluetooth capability either. I'd probably add one of the many aftermarket bluetooth adapters if that was something I felt necessary in my car, just because I also like the integration with the factory sound system.

Last of all though, I completely agree with the posts concerning our society's perceived need to be on the phone all the time. I've seen a woman hang up the phone in the house (yup, landline, strangely enough), pick up the cellphone, dial a number, begin talking, walk out of the house, get into a minivan, and drive off (still talking).. It never fails to irk me. There are very few people that really need to be on the phone as much as we as a society seem to think we do now.
    Just my perception here, perhaps, but the reasons you stated above as to why there isn't a (for lack of better words, I'll say...) industry standard NAV system in the 08 Malibu would appear to make the car somewhat behind other similar models made by other manufacturers.

I'm not very technically educated on the specifics here, but surely GM has the where-with-all to manufacture a Malibu with state of the art features and capabilities.

I can see where GM marketing may feel that the car isn't targeted towards NAV users, so that may be a plausable explanation to explain why.

As for me, if I was a saleperson for Honda, Nissan, etc., I would hammer the Malibu on this issue, claiming that GM is way behind the curve on technology. Not that it is or isn't, but I would certainly use that angle in order to sell against the Malibu.

Personally, I like the Malibu's design and looks, but I have had such poor service from my area's Chevy dealers that I would be hard pressed to buy another Chevy unless it was half the price of the competition. Likewise, the Kia, Suzuki and Hyundai dealers in my area come across as slick, greasy dealerships in their advertising on TV and newspaper (promising any and everything to get the sale), making me cringe at the thought of dealing with one of their salespeople. Again, I like some of their cars, but I have a problem with the credibility of their sales, and therefore ultimately, their service departments.
  • jimmyfjimmyf Member Posts: 7
    With under 1,000 miles on a 2008 Malibut LTZ, it's developed a door rattle inside the door frame (front passenger side). Annoying! The dealer supposedly has fixed today (my wife, who brought it to/from the dealer says the rattle appears to be gone). We'll see on a longer drive.

Maybe something came loose inside the door -- winter weather has made many roads very, very rough and bumpy here in NH! Whatever is the cause, it's unfortunate and conjures up unpleasant memories of high-maintenance GM vehicles of the past...
  • ddeliseddelise Member Posts: 353
    Hi -

If it makes you feel any better, I am 3 months and 3500 miles into my 2008 Malibu LTZ, and have not had 1 issue at all.

I am coming from a Malibu Maxx that had a few issues. This car is head and shoulders better than the Maxx - much more refined, solid, powerful, etc.

It is also much better than the Volvo S60 and Acura CL I previously owned.

Damon
  • saabtasticsaabtastic Member Posts: 7
    :)

Hi Everyone, I appreciate everyones input on the 2008 Malibu!

I am in the market for a new LTZ but I am trying to figure out it if GM will be in any way changing the car for 2009?

Thanks
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I am in the market for a new LTZ but I am trying to figure out it if GM will be in any way changing the car for 2009?

No!
    Yes they are going to have some changes.
    Bluetooth and a USB port will be on 2009s.

If you want those things, then you should wait for 2009s.

The LTs will also get the 6-speed with 4 cylinder next year, but since the person is getting an LTZ, those already have the 6-speed on the 2008 4 cylinder models.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160
    And I love it!!!

Black Metallic ext. Ebony interior. Premium Audio, Mat, Sunroof, power package etc...

Played with On-star and xm all day!
    There are some paint color changes.
    Power adjustable pedals no longer available
    6-speed automatic available on all 4 cylinders except LS.
    Bluetooth available on most models except LS.
    Stability control now standard on all including the LS.
    No mention of USB ports right away, but it still may be added later in the year.

There are aftermarket iPod control and HD radio kits available for the current radio, so it may not be worth waiting for the factory radio with USB unless the factory USB port works with music on thumb drives and you need that.

They will start taking orders for 2009s in less than a month and start actually building them around June 16th so dealers should start getting the first 2009s on their lots by July.
  • saabtasticsaabtastic Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the update on the 2009 model!

Out of curiousity what colors will be introduced or changed?

Brian
    Deletions

(15U) Sandstone Metallic exterior color
    (40U) White exterior color
    (53U) Amber Bronze Metallic exterior color
    (67U) Silverstone Metallic exterior color
    (JF4) Power-adjustable pedals
    (QPE) P215/60R16 touring blackwall tires
    (NZ6) 16" fascia spoke painted Sterling Silver wheels
    Front side marker lamps

New Features

(17U) Silver Ice Metallic exterior color
    (50U) Summit White exterior color
    (51U) Gold Mist Metallic exterior color
    (92U) Silver Moss Metallic exterior color
    (UPF) Bluetooth for phone, personal cell phone connectivity to vehicle audio system and HMI (Human Machine Interface)
    (QGG) P215/55R17 touring, blackwall tires

Changes

(PDC) Power Convenience Package now includes (AG1) driver 6-way power seat adjuster, (AP3) remote vehicle starter system and (UPF) Bluetooth for phone
    (P22) 17" fascia spoke, painted sterling silver wheels are now standard on LS and 1LT models
    (FX3) StabiliTrak stability control system with brake assist and Traction Control is now standard on all models
    (LE5) 2.4L DOHC 4-cylinder engine is now standard on LTZ
    (MH8) 6-speed automatic transmission is now available on 1LT and standard on 2LT and LTZ
    The negatives are small trunk opening (I'm not sure you could get a normal bicycle in the trunk even after removing the wheels because the pedals may not fit through the very short opening. You will not be able to put any bulky object in the trunk even though the trunk is large enough because you can't fit the object through the small opening created when you open the trunk lid.
    Headroom is very tight for 6 footers with the moonroof.
    Rear legroom is barely adequate.

Positives are that it looks nice inside and out. It drives very nicely and is much quieter than the Honda Accord even with the 4-speed automatic and 4 cylinder. It is even a bit quieter than a Toyota Camry. It handles nicely. It has a hydraulic hood strut instead of a manual prop like 4 cylinder Camry and Accord.

The dealer is pushing aftermarket CigBlue bluetooth installation and had ads for it on the window stickers.

When the 6-speed automatic and factory installed bluetooth come later this year it will be even nicer as long as you don't need a "roomy" car.

Some will consider it to have a "snug and sexy cockpit feel" and others will feel "cramped and claustrophobic" especially compared to the competition that are now either in or bordering the EPA Large car category (Accord, Sonata, Camry).
  • mrdisco33mrdisco33 Member Posts: 58
    "Some will consider it to have a "snug and sexy cockpit feel" and others will feel "cramped and claustrophobic" especially compared to the competition that are now either in or bordering the EPA Large car category (Accord, Sonata, Camry)."

Put me in the later category. I was eagerly awaiting the launch of the Malibu hoping it would be better than the Aura. Sadly I found it to be just as cramped and difficult to enter :(
  • gmfornow3gmfornow3 Member Posts: 17
    A month ago I bought a new 2008 2LT Malibu with the V-6, without a sunroof. I am impressed by the acceleration, handling, 6 CD radio upgrade, leg room (front and rear), interior fit and finish, and driver's left arm rest room. Being 6 ft 3 in tall, you might be surprised about the cars I could not fit in as well as the Malibu (Impala, CTS, LaCrosse). However, I could not fit in the Malibu with the sunroof.

Some of the minor negatives in my opinion are shoulder belt anchors should be at least one inch higher, and the ride should be a bit softer. Also, the rear seat is only for two adults, or two adults and a child.
    I just received the J.D. Power & Associates quality survey in the mail for our 2008 Malibu LS and I have no quality issues to report.

This is the first time that I have ever received a J. D. Power questionnaire and I was very surprised to see how thorough and detailed the questions are. But I still can't get over the fact that I have to return a blank questionnaire since I have no quality issues to report. Unlike many other surveys which can be done online J.D. Power does not offer that option. I wonder why?

For those who are curious here are some of the questions asked:

Part I. About Your Vehicle:
    1. Lease or purchased
    2. Transmission type (manual, automatic, CVT)
    3. a. Current milage. b. Your average miles per gallon
    4. Exterior color
    5. Is this your first new vehicle
    6. Type of equipment on new vehicle

Part II. Things Gone Wrong:
    Exterior
    7. Doors(hard to open, close, squeaks, latch not working, broken, etc)
    8. Excessive wind noise (windshield, doors, windows moonroof)
    9. Water leaks into vehicle
    10. Chipped, blemished or dirt in paint, loose or misaligned molding, body panel gaps, etc.
    11. Headlight problems, cracked stractched, bulb failure
    12. Fuel cap hard to open
    13. Exterior rust or corrosion

The Driving Experience:
    14. Vehicle pulls, left, right
    15. Brakes pulls left, right, vibrates, noisy, emergency parking brakes won't hold, etc.
    16. Foot peddles too close, excessive brake dust
    17. Vibration at iddle

Features:
    18. Windshield wipers broken/not working, difficult to understand, poor location
    19. Turn signal, cruise control, tire monitoring system, remote keyless, dome map lights: are they working or difficult to operate, etc.
    20. Audio/Entertainment/Navigation are they broken, not working, controls difficult to understand, controls in poor location.
    21. Seats, heating air conditioning and ventilation are they working and how comfortable.
    22. Interior instrument panel/dashboard, squeaks, rattles, etc.
    23. Carpeting, glass, any blemishes, scuffs, stains, etc.
    24. Engine/transmission, easy to start, iddle problems, etc.
    25. Automatic/manual transmission, slips, erratic operation, abnormal noises.

This is merely a summary of the many items on the rather detailed list. So if there are many Malibu owners like me with no reportable conditions or defects the Malibu should move to the top of the quality heap.
    I can fit my 23" hybrid bike in the trunk of my new Malibu, by removing the front wheel, removing seat with seat post, and of course folding down the back seat.
    Sounds like it's much smaller than a standard sized 26 inch adult mountain bike.
    It is a 23" frame, with 700mm tires (about 27.5 inches).
    There is now a $1000 rebate for buyers of the new Malibu who own a 1999 or newer
    non-GM car.

There is also a $1000 loyalty rebate instead if you have 1999 or newer GM car.

So, basically, there is a $1000 rebate for anyone that currently owns a 1999 or newer car and buys a new Malibu while they still own that vehicle.
  • tonycdtonycd Member Posts: 223
    I hope above all that Chevy addresses the one ridiculous omission in the entire car: the unavailability of the industry-standard rear armrest.
  • sidewinderzsidewinderz Member Posts: 49
    Finally REBATES ! Unfortunately I won't qualify since I have a 1996 Pontiac Sunfire with 108k miles. At least we are starting to see those rebates .Maybe by next month, I'll see the regular ones. Thanks for sharing the info :)
    There probably won't be any more rebates beyond this for 2008s because inventory is low and may remain too low to justify any more incentives due to a strike from a parts supplier. The dealers can only order 2008s for a couple more weeks that will get shipped to them through to June, then 2009s will be at dealers by July. Then there may be another long delay for rebates on the 2009s.
    With the economy going south , I would think they would want to extend the rebates and get more customers in the showroom. A few other companies are NOW announcing 2009 models. If the 2009 models are coming in by July , I would think they would want to push out the OLD 2008s (LOL) starting in May or June.
    They don't have a large enough inventory of 2008s to need that. The slow delivery rate from the factory is taking care of any lower demand due to the economy especially with the $1000 rebates that will be available to many buyers of the 2008s.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Strike may force GM to stop Chevrolet Malibu production.

GM may have to halt production by mid-April of the Chevrolet Malibu if UAW doesn’t end its strike against supplier American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. According to Mike Dunn, shop chairman of UAW Local 5960, American Axle supplies a knuckle used in the rear suspension of the Malibu and Pontiac G6.

Dunn said that shortage of the knuckle may also shut down GM’s Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas by the middle of April. The plant makes about 1,000 G6 and Malibu sedans per week.
  • roho1roho1 Member Posts: 318
    Strike may force GM to stop Chevrolet Malibu production.

GM may have to halt production by mid-April of the Chevrolet Malibu if UAW doesn’t end its strike against supplier American Axle & Manufacturing Holdings Inc. According to Mike Dunn, shop chairman of UAW Local 5960, American Axle supplies a knuckle used in the rear suspension of the Malibu and Pontiac G6.

Dunn said that shortage of the knuckle may also shut down GM’s Fairfax assembly plant in Kansas by the middle of April. The plant makes about 1,000 G6 and Malibu sedans per week.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Member Posts: 288
    Thanks for the important info. I'm sorry to see they dropped the P215/60s and went for the P215/55s. I don't like tires with a small side wall.
    Today ,I was lucky for find a 2008 Malibu in a parking lot . I pulled my 1996 Sunfire right next to it . I was impressed with its looks . Slightly higher than my Sunfire and approx 6 inch longer. It slightly resembles my 12 year old Sunfire cockpit design So , I would call the comfort factor as having a"snug and sexy cockpit feel". It looks like the outer body "shell" is just larger with the interior being about the same comfort space . But that's true with the Pontiac G6 and the Grand Am a few years back. This is just my quick observation. I'll look at it in more detail at a dealer next month.
    I also saw an Accord a few rows down. The interior space looks about the same
    The Accord is very roomy in the back seat and has plenty of headroom. The Malibu has marginally adequate back seat space. You will have to sit in them to see the difference.
  • g6leaserg6leaser Member Posts: 160
    A friend of mine took a ride in my Malibu the other day and he is about 6"3 and didn't have a problem in the front or back, however, did have to slowly move in and out of the vehicle due to the design - so I feel there is plenty of headroom for us average drivers 5"9 to to 5"11 -- and just enough for taller folks - unless your Manute Bol or Andre the Giant...
    With the moonroof, it is very marginal for anyone even 6 ft tall. I was not able to raise the power drivers seat to the position I would normal put it in. I had no problem raising the seat to the top in the Accord. If the seat is lowered, then there is more headroom and the passenger seat is probably OK since its set at a lower position. My head was brushing the roof in the back seat. Anyone 6'3 in the back seat would be be cramped since I was and I'm not that tall.
    Without the moonroof, the headroom is better, but the rear legroom and footroom is tight regardless. Your knees can fit into the depression the seatback, so it may seem OK, but when you try to exit or slide across to the opposite door (to exit away from traffic or if access on one side is blocked) it will be very awkward. Doing the same in an Accord or Camry is much easier because you can slide across without your knees and feet getting caught up in the backs of the seats and console.

Since I don't plan on using the back seat that often, the few people who will ride back there a few times will just have to deal with it if I get a Malibu. Most won't be very tall anyway, so I will not make it a deal stopper, but you do not need to have the height of an NBA player to be cramped in the backseat, especially with the moonroof. Drivers who normally like to sit very high, will also have to compromise by lowering the drivers seat.
    jax1, I beginning to think that you are playing devil's advocate. The Malibu is plenty roomy. At 6'4" and and 265 lbs I consider myself to be a big man and I fit in the driver's and back seat with no trouble at; never having to lower the seat nor make any special adjustments.

Obviously, if you are that finicky you will be very disappointed driving any mid-size sedan so maybe you should consider the Accord (large size) or the Avalon, Taurus or Azera.
  • miltiadesmiltiades Member Posts: 16
    The 2008 I looked at lacked interior 'grab bars' and having an elderly Mom to ride in my car occasionally, those grab bars are mandatory. Can't imagine why this car didn't have them - it took the Malibu off my short list. What were the designers thinking?
  • kplacerkplacer Member Posts: 97
    You experience is consistent with mine. While the front compartment is adequate (I cannot speak to what happens with the sunroof though), when the front seats are adjusted for comfort for someone 6'1" like myself, it becomes very tight in the back seat. I could not get comfortable back there when the front seat was adjusted for my own comfort. The scooped out seatbacks offer too small a space for both knees, and the footroom under the seats is very narrow. The rear compartment is very tight for a car this size. It's interesting reading the discussions here along with reviews and road tests elsewhere -- the authors either agree with thie views such asthose expressed by myself and jaxs1, or they act like they drove a totally different car and talk about how roomy it is. Strange there seems to be no middle ground.
    The headroom isn't that incredibly bad or I would not be considering it at all, but it has less than other cars like the Accord and Camry. With the sunroof, it is tight for me. If I raise the drivers seat to the height I would prefer, I bump the ceiling around the sunroof. I can lower the seat, but that's I compromise I don't really want when I could just get a Camry instead. I may skip the sunroof, bit that's another compromise.
  • psd2psd2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone, this is my first post but I have been reading this thread for quiet some time.

I got very serious about buying a Malibu today and then I remembered someone saying that 2009's were coming out VERY soon. So I would appreciate some feedback...

I am wanting to buy a 2LT w/ the premium audio package. The sticker price came out to $23,075.50. I plan on putting $9,000 down on top of the GM Loyalty rebate which is $1,000. That gets my payments down to $291.05 (which works well for me) and the APR is 5.34%.

Now this Malibu would have to be built because it isn't available in the color I want w/ the option and in the 4 cylinder.

Question is, should I wait a few months for the '09 which will have the 6 speed and bluetooth???? Does anyone know what the ballpark figure on a 2LT is for next year in the 6 speed? I ask this becuase there aren't really any discounts right now, and I'm basically paying sticker price since my dealer won't budge on it since it is a "Hot Car!"

I would appreciate any help as this is my first automobile purchase and I am looking on not getting skrewed over (yeah I know, good luck huh!).
    The 2009s are not coming out that soon. The dealers may be able to take orders in a few weeks, but they don't start building them until June, so you won't see them until July or later.
    I will be surprised if the rebate carrys forward to the 2009s until some time after all the 2008s are gone and there will likely be some price increase for the new transmission and bluetooth option, but since there will no longer be power adjustable pedals, it may cancel out a little of the extra cost.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    Hi: I special ordered a 2LT with all options except sunroof and 6 cyl engine. The loyalty rebate would be an unexpected bonus, unless it expires before my car is delivered (first week of May was best guess). I'm paying $500 over dealer invoice, which to me seems fair. Others may do better, but that price works for me.

I drove a 1LT with same engine, and found it to be more than ample for my driving needs. I'm 6' even, and with the driver's seat positioned where I need it to drive, I sat in the back seat and was very comfortable.

It's funny reading these forums as to what is important to one person is not to another. For example, I like the wheels on the 1LT better than the 2LT wheels, and may even swap them out at a later date. I ordered the car in Imperial blue metallic with the cashmere interior.

Good luck with whatever you decide--you'll enjoy the car!
    Do you know the date when dealers can place orders? I'm really leaning on waiting a few more months for the 6 speed transmission on the 4 cylinder. From what I've read it sounds like a good match.
    Hey Jaxs1, just out of curiosity, where are you getting your information and how sure are you that the 2009's are that close away?

I've talked w/ some local dealers and they are telling me that 2009's are much further away than July.

Thank you!
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Did you follow this link above and here. It gives the prodution dates for most Chevy products.

http://www.donlen.com:80/buildstart_chevy.html
    Yeah, I went to that link, but all of the dealers still have no idea when they are able to start ordering or when production will start.
    I have heard from other people who gave dates similar to what's posted on that link, but they said ordering 2009s could still be a couple more weeks out. It's always possible that it could be delayed a few more weeks since it's an estimate, but July should work for cars built in June. They aren't going to take orders for cars in April and not build them until fall.
    If you wait until the end of April, they should be able to order 2009s by then barring unforeseen circumstances. You will probably be wasting your breath asking the dealers about it before the first official day they can take orders.
    I taking Chevy’s advertisement jingle to heart: See the USA in your Chevrolet

Very soon I will be driving from Boston to Gaithersburg, MD in our new 2008 Malibu LS with the 16" tires. What is your recommendation for tire pressure on such a long distance trip? OnStar recommends 30 psi but I believe that is too soft for such long distance highway driving. By the way, the car has 1,600 miles and I was thinking of changing the oil before embarking on the trip. As a traditionalist, I always changed my oil after 500 miles break-in period but many boardies are saying that is no longer necessary with late model automobiles. What do you think?

Since I will be driving on Route 95, how many toll booths should I expect to encounter? I know there are none on the Massachusetts section, but what about RI, CT, NY, NJ, DE, MD, etc. and what is the expected cost on each of these sections. If you could direct me to a website I would appreciate that.