Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• gnnrgnnr Member Posts: 21
    Sorry, I wouldn't call a car that is a hair over 2 inches wider, and just over 8 inches longer far larger. The lancer is also a hair taller. Interior wise it does have about 14 or 15 more cuft and 3 - 4 inches of more shoulder room and a bit over 2 inches more hip room, it's a virtual tie in headroom, trunk goes to the Sonata by a small 5cuft (but with a penalty of a less accessible trunk entryway according to reviews, and if you don't do a sub in the Lancer the lancer then ties the Sonata). Either its a terribly small 'full size' or the lancer is quite large for a 'compact'... take your pick.

As for reliability the 01 - 06 numbers aren't exactly sparkling, both on consumer sites (sans Edmunds oddly enough) nor with tracking companies/services. Not terrible, but not awe inspiring either. Same with the reviews, generally 'blah'. Those I have seen and my comments are based on that and from friends and family who have owned different models themselves. Is it an 'expert opinion'... frack no, but opinions are just what they are no matter the source.

And I already indicated where my comment on the model availablity came from... it's not in error, but you are right that if I spent time learning more about a blah car I would never consider buying nor have absolutely no interest in then maybe I would have caught the model change overs.

Since I wouldn't be buying a rabbit from edmunds and would want not only the edmunds number but also the VW numbers and configurations it is indeed quite confusing, as are several articles on edmunds, R&T, and numerous news paper reviews that conflict with each other on availability of that feature.

As for the GTS being the most popular model, it is by sales numbers, availability, production orders, and MMNA numbers as put out just a couple of days ago by Mitsu itself in regards for last month's sales and future projections until Q4 07. The GTS model is in strict supply and they are changing around their production line to handle the unexpected flush of orders for that model over the lesser two and dealer inventory of the lower models is 2 - 5X what was expected. Since the DE and ES aren't fleet models on this continent that I am aware of (though that may change shortly from what I have read) and there is still a glut of older ones at blow out prices they aren't moving that fast just yet, where as the GTS has gotten lots of press coverage and generally glowing reviews (in part thanks to the Evo X coverage).
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FYI the Sonata was redesigned for the 2006 MY, so stuff you have read about the '01-'05 models is obsolete. It's a totally different car now. (If you want to talk history, we can talk about what a lousy car the previous Lancer was.) And 15 cubic feet is a huge difference in interior room. Imagine a box 3' x 5' x 1'. That's a big box! I would be interested to see a review that compared the ease of accessing the Sonata's trunk (with its 60/40 rear seat) to accessing the Lancer's trunk. I'd be real surprised if there has been such a review. Do you have a link?

I see your point about lack of info on VW's web site on ESC/ESP on the Rabbit. If it's there, they make it hard to find. It's more clear for the Jetta, on the web site. Even then, they made the site so "cool" that it's hard to find any specific info.

I am not really sure why you are being so defensive about a post that was nothing more than an elaboration on someone's statement that the Scion is the "end of story" when it comes to cars under $20k that have ESC available. It was not an attack on the Lancer GTS or on those who think it's heaven on wheels.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    world order Hyundai Sonata to the new world order Mitsubishi Lancer? Simply put I'd call the Sonata a midsize car and the Lancer a compact. That the Lancer is close at all to the Sonata in interior room speaks more about the Lancer's interior room than the larger car's, the Sonata's interior room, shan't it?

I have nothing against the Sonata and both cars do have four doors, for me the more desirable car by far is the Lancer GTS because of the nice body styling by Mitsu. Not a knock on the Sonata-it's no slouch whatsoever-it's just more of a family car so to speak.

Both cars deliver value and Mitsubishi is the one more under the gun now than Hyundai-though competition is tough all over. But the value and content is superlative in both IMHO. This Lancer ought to be the one that starts bringing Mitsubishi resale value up some, it is a far better car than the outgoing Lancer.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

For clarity, I do NOT think the Lancer is 'heaven on wheels' or the be all and end all in it's class, but when you compare it to a Mazda 3 or a Civic or similar cars it has a lot of pluses over them IMHO, such as price, handling, braking, looks, and standard/optional equipment. One area it loses out is in HP on paper, but if you drive the CVT equipped GTS with some manual shifting and get the ECU to learn your driving habits it's not really much off the pace of the more powerful Mazda 3 (I know, I test drove and nearly bought a high end 3).

Honestly I was replying in general to the ESC line this thread has taken. It would be nice to have, and yes it should be at least an option, but if it's the ONLY thing keeping you from buying a Lancer in this segment it may not be as important or deal breaking as some have tried to make it out to be... a good driver, especially one who never has had ESC before and actually knows how to drive properly, won't even notice it if it was there anyway (though TCS should be standard in this day and age and again ESC should be an option). With class leading equipment, looks, economy, warranty, price, handling/braking, and so far what looks like good quality the Lancer is not to be over looked, especially the GTS model.

It has shortcomings to be sure (and so does every car, period)... could use a smidge more trunk room, the tweeters could be brighter on the RF 650W stereo system, the interior carpet could be of better quality, leather should be a factory (not dealer) option on GTS and the interior material looks great but it's a lint brush, the Multi-media NAV system needs a USB input to directly load MP3s (ripping works but is a pain), it needs heated mirrors and homelink and HID options, TCS should be standard and ESC an option, about 15 or 20 more HP would suit the looks (though Mitsu has under-rated the engine by at least 5% from what real world stock dyno testing is showing), and there should be more spoiler options (the one it has looks great but bisects the horizontal plane of your rear view, some don't like it).
    The current issue of Motor Trend has a comparo of the Lancer GTS, Civic LX, Sentra 2.0S, and Elantra SE. I haven't seen the review yet, but have been told the order of finishing was (rather surprisingly I think):

Civic LX 5AT
    Sentra 2.0S CVT
    Lancer GTS CVT
    Elantra SE 4AT

Has anyone seen this review and can shed some light on why the Lancer GTS was not rater higher, since it's by far the most expensive car in the field, probably with the most equipment?
  • lexxylexxy Member Posts: 5
    Do you know how to turn off the scan tune? The manual doesn't have intructions on how to turn it off.
    There is at least one other comparo review out there. Lancer came in 2nd, nearly won.

A Civic LX is not the right car to compare to a GTS. An EX with auto and Nav, upgraded 17 rims, body kit and spoiler, etc is far fairer, and it's pricing out then at $25K with less incentives (while the GTS can be had off the lot loaded for near 20K).

Same on the Elantra and Sentra models you cite... that or the reviewers needed to put a DE in instead to get comparables with equipment and pricing. IN terms of performance the Lancer should match or out brake, out handle all of those cars, and it should be a close match to a slight win with CVT in acceleration on those models.

Now throw in a Mazda3, and it wins in terms of power and ties the Lancer in handling/braking, loses in equipment and fit/finish plus it's a bit more expensive.
    Actually the GTS and Elantra SE were both over-equipped compared to the rest of the field. A pretty even comparo would have been Lancer ES, Elantra SE, Civic EX, and Sentra SL, all equipped with a moonroof (standard on the Civic EX). Or they could have taken the low-end trims of all the cars. These comparos often have at least one car that doesn't seem to fit with the others, e.g. in a recent comparo of compact sedans, in C/D I think, it was the Corolla, Sentra, Civic, and Elantra--and the Mazda3s hatchback and the Rabbit. :confuse:
    comparo's are even helpful to me, at all. Even if I hadn't bought the Lancer and was still in the marketplace looking. I would rather make up my mind on my own recognizance what I like, test drive it after researching the car for dozens to hundreds of hours, and then go negotiate a deal for purchase. Done.

I am just so smitten over the menacing front end and the nicely flared-out rear end and taillight design of this '08 Lancer, even the bodykit of the GTS looks cool on the sides of the car.

Hey, gnnr, on the sides of the GTS that bodykit sticks out a tad wider than the door sides, doesn't it? Or do we have no door ding protection on the sides? It is too close to squint down the side of the door to see if that piece of bodykit along the side sticks out far enough to ward off grocery carts and other menaces? Anybody else who's bought a Lancer GTS for 2008 know what I'm talkin' about? shado4? gnnr?

• shado4shado4 Member Posts: 287
    Do you know how to turn off the scan tune? The manual doesn't have intructions on how to turn it off.

Maybe it's only an option if you have the nav system. I understand the nav system also allows a lot of customization for the Lancer that you can't get otherwise, or need a scan tool from the dealership to make changes.
    Hey, gnnr, on the sides of the GTS that bodykit sticks out a tad wider than the door sides, doesn't it? Or do we have no door ding protection on the sides? It is too close to squint down the side of the door to see if that piece of bodykit along the side sticks out far enough to ward off grocery carts and other menaces? Anybody else who's bought a Lancer GTS for 2008 know what I'm talkin' about? shado4? gnnr?

I think the side skirts are way too low to provide any protection against runaway grocery carts or careless morons who fling open their door against your car. I still park as far away and by myself as I can when I go grocery shopping. At work, I've found an end space that is slightly wider than the others and allows me to get close to the curb leaving much more than a door's width of space between my car and the person who parks next to me. The Lancer has no door ding protection standard, but I think it is an accessory.

Yes, I know it sounds like overkill. However, I will not be one of those people who takes up 2 parking spaces with one car. If you do that you might as well key your car yourself and save the aggravation. :sick:
    yeah, I just wanted someone else's view of the lower bodykit skirting's ability to bonk off rolling shopping carts. I didn't really think so just wanted to check with someone else. Thing is, this is one of those cars that would really look dorky with a moulding glued on the side, I'm not going there.

Yeah, me too, I have found a spot at work where on one side there's a curb so no one can park there and I park so close to that curb that a moron swinging a door couldn't really reach my car. I also park in the cheap seats at grocery and other stores and just get some extra exercise walking from there.

This practice will need to continue, too, because I really doubt I will do what I did with my last two rigs, Kia's both of them. I bought door moulding at the store and some more online and ran tape alongside the rigs as a guide and stuck moulding on to the sides. Gotta say that it looked good and it did save us from those annoying dings.

• herrkaleuherrkaleu Member Posts: 62
    does the 2008 Lancer have a timing chain or a belt?
    Are there other maintenance intervall informations available?
    else handle the last one: the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer's have timing chains. There is no changing needed of this but according to another poster just because you have a timing chain that doesn't mean it'll last forever.

Translate his message to mean that you'll not have to spend $300-$500 bucks every 60,000-odd miles repalcing your timing belt on the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer.

Mitsubishi dealer in Sierra Vista, AZ, today for it's L-O-F. The car had 3,311 miles at 1st L-O-F time. The L-O-F went fine and the car passed the 27 point Ideal Mitsubishi of Sierra Vista, AZ, inspection just fine.

But after the guy took my wife and I to the nearby mall to shop and then back to Ideal Mitsubishi again, we learned the Lancer GTS was not done. It seemed like enough time to do the L-O-F, so I was kind of curious what was going on.

What was going on was that Mitsubishi has a recall going on for the rear doors. This is one of those recalls meant "to increase customer safety in the event of a side impact crash." Apparently the recall parts ensure that, in the event of "certain side impact crashes", the rear door latch will remain latched.

So, Mitsubishi is installing a newly-designed quarter window sash for Lancer owners free of charge. It is recall #C0703U and you will be getting notice in the mail of the recall. I was fortunate to have scheduled a L-O-F and they did their homework and looked up any applicable TSB's and/or recalls and found this one recall and started doing the work while my wife and I were at the mall.

For any '08 Lancer owners still needing to get this recall done it takes about an hour per side. It took the Ideal service people about 35-40 minutes per side. Figure about an hour and a half to do the recall.

Anyhoo, we were all fixed up today around 2:15PM with plenty of the day left to shop, eat and get back to Willcox.

I got the opportunity to look up a salesman there at Ideal whom I had e-mailed many times, going back to the days that I was drooling over the 2007 Suzuki SX4. Ideal also sells Suzuki's. He said to feel free to bring my Lancer GTS there for all of my service and from today's initial experience at Ideal Mitsubishi you can pretty much figure that I've got an "ideal" situation at Ideal and I will go there from now on. The salespeople are gushing over the new Lancer's and Outlander's.

The salesman gave me a short stack of his business cards with the heads-up that if I get another person to go there I'll get $100(or double what his business card says)if they buy a rig from him. Salespeople will be salespeople, won't they?

• ru06ru06 Member Posts: 23
    Hi ilovmysephia how are you? I purchased an 08 Lancer GTS with Nav also about a month ago. I have around 1600 miles now. I absolutely LOVE the car and everything about it. I was also notified by mail of this recall. As you have had the work done already, I am interested if there are any cosmetic differences in the "window sash" after they did the "repair?" Does it look wierd or different in any way??? Thanks!
    P.S. I should also change my username to ilovemylancer haha.
    Yep, got my notice in the mail 2 days ago. I'm scheduled for my first L-O-F service in mid-July (3 months after purchase) and will probably wait until then to get the window sash upgrade.

My guess is the Lancer was crash-tested and this issue with the rear door latches came up. Kudos to Mitsubishi for researching the problem, finding a solution to the fault, and providing owners a way to upgrade their Lancer free of charge.

2000 miles in my Lancer GTS and lovin' every minute of it! I had the Rockford Fosgate audio system cranked up this morning with the windows and sunroof open. :)
    either that or the insurance saftey institute folks wouldn't pass side impact unless it was corrected. Either way that's fine, but it doesn't instill full confidence either. But lots of cars have early TSBs for this kind of thing too I suppose.
  • pmpkin123pmpkin123 Member Posts: 14
    Hi, am in the process of buying a new Lancer prob the ES cvt but perhaps the GTS cvt.

Has anyone had trouble deciding whether to add the Nav unit? its for my son, who hates open windows or sunroofs, we are in Dallas, so its really hot i summer. But the nav stuff looks cool, and perhaps safer for a new driver? Let him concentrate on driving instead of "finding" perhaps?

thanks

pumpkin
  • ellusionz21ellusionz21 Member Posts: 59
    Only if you get him to promise not to play the dvds and such on it while driving, seemed a lil distracting to me ;)
    hey, watcha been up to? I remember you from many months gone past here on Edmunds.

No, there is no discernible difference to my Lancer's rear window setup in any way after the sash recall.

We're at 3,390 miles and diggin' this car to the full. :D

ru06, refresh my memory, from which Edmunds forum did you post at in the past? Can't remember.

shado4, are you a Northerner? Must be, or a left or east coaster. Down here in Arizona, we wait until night to open our sunroof, as it's too blasted hot in the day to have it down! You must be up north. Is not this RF stereo a nice asset for our Lancer GTS'?

Who's gonna re-up on their Sirius after the initial 6-month free period passes? We do go there-split between our own CD's, FM stereo and occasional AM. If they had the Art Bell/George Noory connection on Sirius I'd consider paying/joining fulltime. BTW-off topic, but apparently Area 51 has moved to Colorado/Utah boonies. Too much nuclear fallout was being had there at SW Nevada/original Area 51 site.

Over.

Iluvmysephia... thanks for the reply.. i was a little worried it would look weird or different with the change of "shash." Im at 2180 miles now after one month and 5 days :D which is more than I would have liked to have at this point but I was stuck making a couple long trips accross the state since my buddies Civic was in a fender bender and he couldnt make his part in the carpool haha oh well. I haven't made any other posts besides here in the Mitsu Lancer pages. Maybe one in the Civic's pages but I dont think so. But anyway yea I am loving every mile of this car as well, it has exceeded all of my expectations. As far as the DVD player being dangerous... the video blacks out once you start driving. The audio stays, but no video so I guess you are OK as far as a safety issue. As far as the Navigation goes.. I love it and it is dead accurate. Couldnt imagine the car w/o it and the music server and FAST Key entry it comes with! Yea the Navi has also saved me lots of money on gas as well since I no longer get lost and have to ask for directions and backtrack myself haha.. yea it used to happen to me a lot! Anyways sorry if i have rambled.. go GTS with Nav and bluetooth!!! Can't go wrong here!
    shado4, are you a Northerner? Must be, or a left or east coaster. Down here in Arizona, we wait until night to open our sunroof, as it's too blasted hot in the day to have it down! You must be up north. Is not this RF stereo a nice asset for our Lancer GTS'?

I live in Pennsylvania. Temps during my morning commute to work have been hitting anywhere from the low 50's to the mid 60's...nice and cool enough to open the windows and sunroof while cranking out the tunes. By mid afternoon we have been getting into the upper 80's, which I consider rather hot...but that's probably a cold day for you in Arizona!

More cool things about the Lancer...when it's raining and I have the intermittent wipers on their fastest setting, they go to a constant low speed sweep when the car is moving, then back to intermittent sweeps when the car is stopped. At slower intermittent speeds, the delay between sweeps gets shorter when the car is moving, then back to normal when stopped. I know...it doesn't take much to impress me. :P

I miss the rear window wiper I had on my Elantra GT, though.
    Hey how is everybody doing with their new Lancer?? It is awfully quiet in this forum!!!!
    my '08 Lancer GTS is doing great at 3,900 miles. Still no squeaks, rattles or humms and she's running great. The A/C is working great, too, thankfully as Arizona heats up for the summer!

The Rally Red racer does need a bath, that is the only thing she needs right now.

• someguyviisomeguyvii Member Posts: 3
    Hey I just recently purchased my '08 Lancer ES trim. I'm really happy with the way it's performing, but I had a question. I have only been driving standard for about 6 months and I'm still adjusting to the Lancer, but sometimes when I'm in the process of shifting gears the rpms rev up on their own. I have the clutch fully disengaged and my foot completely off of the accelerator, but the rpms shoot up. Does anyone know what this is occuring? Thanks!
    It's normal, dont worry. If the revs are TOO high, then you might want to down shift to a lower gear. Try not to rev above around 6500 rpm's, as this is somewhere around its red-line. I actually like how it revs like this bc you can just tap the accelerator and the whole car will "pop" and take off like a jet! It's pretty cool! ;)
    Does anybody know of any modification performance parts out for the '08 Lancer? I've been thinking about modding my suspension and exhaust, but I can't seem to find anything for the car. Has anybody tweaked their Lancer yet? Please help. Thanks!
    Do you have the GTS?
    RRM has a pretty good line out already for so early in the game, and Works has some stuff coming or due out about now. Katzkin (sp?) and Injen too. CF hood, lowering springs and camber bolts, SRI, suspension, bolt on exhaust. ECU changes are due shortly from RRM too I believe.
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    Hi I'm curious about the above mentioned potential problems.
    I haven't bought a Mitsu in a long time. How long? Well it was before the Magnusson-Moss warranty act came out. I had bought a Minivan, i forget which model. The dealer was awful, the van was nice tho. I had 3 young kids back then and they wanted about $200 and change for what amounted to an oil change. I had to trade in the car because they refused to work on it under warranty and told me my warranty would be invalidated if I didn't use them exclusively, even for oil changes etc...
    Another dealer much further away was also the Jeep dealer and I wanted a Mitsu at that time as well but after 4+ hours of BS at the dealership and no firm price for a cash purchase and no value on my trade in I walked.
    They came running and promised me no problem we will have it all for you in 10 minutes. almost an hour later I walked when I saw the sales guy dealing with other customers. When he ran out to drag me back in I had some real choice words for him and then the sales manager came out and it was nearly a fight in the parking lot as they wouldn't give me the keys to my car so i could leave.
    I told them ok and started walking and they said no it's ok and I said yes it is, I'm going to call the police!
    My keys arrived in 2 minutes or less. I never went back.
    supposedly that place was sold and just sells Jeep now.
    Mitsu has their own showroom a few miles down the street.
    Fast forward to about 2001 '02 or so the WRX gets released I want to compare it to the EVO and was told sorry no test drives and big $$$$$$ over MSRP. Attitude was utter crap at 2 dealerships that I called and visited. Good on the phone and total BS in person.
    They were very insulting and rude, worse than the VW dealer where I used to live and they were the worst for any kind of service.
    I was dressed ok and I don't wear a suit and I pay cash for everything I buy. I've bought a lot of cars new and used.
    So to make a long story short it's going to have been 5-6 years when I get back to the US and I'm wondering if the quality of the Mitsu lancer has improved over past models which seemed to break a lot and has Mitsu actually done anything to improve customer service or to punish rude dealership or ones that try and weasel out of warranty work?
    Too many bad experiences with Mitsu and it seems some brands are that way but my wife and I really like the new look of the Lancer especially the EVO. It's a lot of $$$$
    last thing I had heard was years back maybe 4-5 years ago that Mitsu was going to auto-x events and taking pics of cars with the license plates and refusing to honor the warranty on those cars.
    I bought the WRX instead and really liked it but the new design for the 2008 WRX leaves me cold.
    I never had a single problem with Subaru, I test drove the car made an offer based on Edmunds, got it for $800 over invoice instead of $500 over but they treated me very well and no hassle at all took about an hour for all the paperwork and everything and I picked it up a day or two later with a check in hand.
    Honestly has Mitsubishi changed enough, what with losing a fortune on a daily basis to get their dealers in order or is it the same hell as before?
    I'd like to get some real ideas about this and I can't get to a dealer being almost 12,000 miles away.
    Maybe it's just New England dealers, maybe they all charge over MSRP, I really don't know but pulling every trick in the book to not honor a warranty is pretty bad.
    so an update on the dealerships would be great not individual ones but in general. I have to take the car in to be serviced by them and get warranty done by them.
    VW is still in the dark customer service wise and reliability is even less than before.
    So what's the scoop has Mitsu improved or is it still a crap shoot?
  • keithlkeithl Member Posts: 106
    I come form sporty larger 6cyl cars and want to do a down grade to save in payment and gas. I drov eth 08 GTS and find that the 4 cyl is rather anemic. Now I'm not comparing it to my 6 cyl cars that would not be fair, but compared to a 07 Altima 2.5 or a Civic the Lancer seems slow off the line. I drive the 07 Altima and it almost feels like a 6 cyl, and the Civic feels some where in the middle. Also I tried the RF 650W system, but when I cranked it up the car rear interior was buzzing and rattling unbelievabely. And one last thing, I look at Katskin's site and don't see a leather option for the 08 Lancer, does anyone know of a leather option for the 08 Lancer? I love the Lancer styling, it looks like a Lexus IS from the rear and even nicer from the front. What they need is a 2.4ish 4cyl with say 175-200HP
    Hey Keith. Yes, you may be right about the bigger engine but if you use the paddle shifters to shift from first to second to third, etc, I think you will be amazed at how much quicker response and better acceleration you will get. I heard that next year (2009) Mitsubishi will release at 2.4L engine. Not 100% sure though. Anyhow I am happy with a 2.0 rather than a 2.4 bc I don't like to support foreign oil countries hehe. And as for the trunk rattling, all you have to do to fix it is turn down the base in the audio settings. Good luck and enjoy the Lancer it is really a great car and Im loving it. I definately recommend it! :D
    on the new '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS. I am really happy my wife and I went for the Sun and Sound package because we both love music and this Rockford Fosgate stereo rocks our rolling house quite nicely.

I agree with ru06, just adjust down the bass and check the fader to see that it's not all the way to the back or something. It really is a nice stereo and adjusting it is easy and the fixes work...it's not a frustrating exercise at all.

As for off-the-line performance, this is a 2.0L 152-hp 4 cylinder and the Lancer is kind of heavy. I find that the magnesium paddle-shifters do help for quicker starts. I'm not bothered by the acceleration at all, it's fine for my style of driving and it will accelerate and pick up once you learn the car's drivetrain better and use the paddle-shifting method as you need or want.

The body design of this car always looks good...it's a joy to peer out my front window and stare at it in the driveway. Proud to have it and proud of Mitsu for doing such an awesome job with it.

• wpathwpath Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up my ES model with the Sun & Sound last night. Actually found a great dealer here in Central Florida, who would work deals off of MSRP. The cars are in such short supply here now, that most dealers don't want to talk anything but MSRP.
    It is a great car, and the stereo is incredible. I got rid of a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi, and I am really looking forward to (much) better gas mileage, especially with my 60 mile daily roundtrip to work!
  • cybergypsycybergypsy Member Posts: 51
    I sold my 06 civic ex and bought the fully loaded GTS, The navi is amazing, ny civic had better Gas mileage but this car is heavy on the road like my BMW........amazing just amazing ;);) :mad:
    Hey bought mine at sport mitsi and got 4K off sticker great people there in Orlando :)
  • mirde98mirde98 Member Posts: 95
    Sport Mitsubishi is the best dealer in Orlando FL. I bought my 06 Lancer SE there and my roommate bought a 08 Lancer GTS.
    to the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer thread here on Edmunds and enjoy your Lancer's! I was once very enamored with Kia and like them still but the racing heritage instilled in our Lancer's is too good to pass up.

Last night driving on I-10 through downtown Phoenix the road took a large and wide turn to the right. It was slightly uneven on the tilt-turn and in my little Sportage 4X4 SUV from Kia I would have had to slow down(driving physics at play, yep, not a knock on my Sportsman at all)but in my Lancer GTS I could actually accelerate in to the turn. Love the Lancer GTS' multi-spoke wheel design. They are my favorite factory OEM wheel I have seen produced and installed yet.

Another very cool item on my Lancer GTS is that awesome leather-wrapped steering wheel!

They really were awesome and quick.....free oil changes for life :), I live in Ocala and loving it :)
  • gijoewildbillgijoewildbill Member Posts: 62
    Howdy yall,

I have been reading and watching this thread for a while now. I planned on getting a 2008 Lancer, but had financial issues come up so I will have to hold off until next spring/summer (grrr :mad: ). Anywho, in talking with the local Mitsubishi dealer here in Houston, TX, he was able to contact Mitsubishi North America/USA and relay some info to me about the 2009 Lancer.

1) The 2009 Lancer model will be upgrading all base engines from the 2.0L 4 cylinder to 2.4L 4 cylinder. Both will/are aluminum blocks. Finally, estimated HP will go from the current 152 HP to around 175 to 180 HP with minimal weight gain due to minor changes in the engine to make it 2.4L to support the higher HP people have been asking for over the 2008 Lancer.

2) As most are aware, the 2009 Lancer Evo X will have the Final retail version displayed at the upcoming Tokyo International Auto Show this Fall and soon there after begin selling in Japan. The official release date for the USA as well as final HP, features, detailed specs, etc. is planned to be announced at the Tokyo Auto Show as well.

3) Finally, and probably most exciting, is the fact that Mitsubishi, although not officially stating so, relayed through the my dealer contact that if the 2008 lancer sells show a good turn around, which I believe someone already posted the numbers and they showed crazy growth, they plan to release another model trim with the 2009 model. In Japan, this model would be known possibly as some kind of GST or GSX model, but here in the USA it would most likely be called the Ralliart model. The plans for this model include using a slightly detuned turbo (not a rumored 6 cylinder) as well as a less active AWD system. Essentially a smaller brother to the Evo X. It doesn't take a genius to understand that this is Mitsu's way to compete across the board with Subaru.

Personally, I am kinda happy my finances didn't work out. It's God's way of saying be patient for there is better things to come next year. I can't wait! :)

Wild Bill
  • gijoewildbillgijoewildbill Member Posts: 62
    Also, I wanted to know if anyone had heard of 2 key aftermarket items. First, I like the spoiler that the GTS comes with, but as many have noticed it badly obstructs the view. I wanted to know if anyone had heard of a slightly smaller one available somewhere as an aftermarket replacement. Second, I wanted to know if anyone has ever heard of an aftermarket complete rear windshield wiper assembly before. It would be nice if someone sold a kit with the motor, mounting brakets, switch, etc. to install a windshield wiper on that big back window. My thoughts are I could always salvage one from an older model Eclipse, but would prefer some thing new, pre-designed first. Any help is appreciated! ;)

Wild Bill
    iluvmysephia I hope you downshifted into the turn and punched the pedal! hehe Yes I am loving my GTS w Nav as well. It gets so much attention and the sound system is incredible! ;)
    They have smaller ones on Ebay.....
    coming from a new civic 06 Ex with navi the lancer is really a amazing car and for people who are debating the Navi, it is awesome :) gas MPG is lower on the lancer but the heavyness feels great on the road almost like my BMW
    After owning the 2006 Civic EX with navi and now the 2008 Lancer GTS I will try to compare them :

Driving:
    Civic: It always was a fun drive however on highways it did tend to float a bit, I always kept both hands on the wheel this was from the first day i bought it and had the alignment checked and it was perfect, really never pushed it into turns,Gas mileage was always pretty good, 32-39 MPG,and it was a bit noisy on the road.but nothing too loud.
    Lancer: Very heavy like my BMW, corners amazing, love exits and off ramps, no floating at all, holds the road very well, MPG is about 29 MPG but only on the second tank so far.Really loving the feel on the road.Like the 15.3 Tank.Very smooth.Love the CVT.

Instruments
    Civic: Love the speedo on the civic nothing compares to those lights, well lit and large number in bright blue, Navi love the speak button and the ease of the navi,and the Card slot is also nice XM Rocks!
    Lancer: wow, where do I start 4 info screens on dash everything from MPG to tire pressure to all warning lights, the navi has a DVD player, 30G Hard drive for music,more info screens then i could ever use for lighting,all functions of the car(cut off of cig 12V after 30 min) lap-times, and so many more,auto head lights,bluetooth,FAST key you never need a key to get in or start the car,to lock the car a touch of the door handle,The navi is pretty amazing, and love having fogs standard. The red gauges are nice and has ambient lighting .also auto climate control is awesome.Paddle shifters are very smooth and flawless.

Seats
    Civic: the seats seem to wear easy and had my armrest replaced last year, seatbelt sometimes snaps back and leaves marks on the plastic, and it scratches easy.love the sliding cover for the cup-holders.love my old steering wheels.
    Lancer:like the placement of the seat belt no marks so far, lint seems to like the seats but easy to clean off.Love the back seat middle armrest and cupholder.Since i dont smoke the ashtray is useless for me.The Lancer seems to feel much bigger then my civic,when i am at the wheel, the room seems endless.....Steering wheel has bright red lights to light up all functions :)

Wheels
    Civic: they were nice but nothing great!
    Lancer: Really like the rims and 18" tires.....

Warranty
    Civic: they gave me a free 5/60 warranty with my civic at no charge.
    Lancer: 5/60K and 100K power-train.Also free oil changes for life of car.

All being said I still will buy the 2008 Civic, I just hope the put more features in it, I paid close to 2.5K LESS for the Lancer GTS, I would tell anyone looking for a good small car to check out both the civic and lancer.
    you better believe it I punched it around that turn! The Rally Red Metallic Lancer GTS just hugged into the turn and wanted me to add more ghastly!

This is one incredible car. The sound system is awesome and the car's driving dynamics are such that the car simply invites you to drive it some more.

Just wanna vent a lil and let ya'll know what I just found out.

I've been having problems with my the sound fading in and out (no its not the SVC whatever thingy). So I took it in twice so far to the dealership I bought it in and they didn't hear anything/couldn't figure out the problem. Well I figure hey I'll try another service place. I just found out a handful of cars are having problems with the radio, and Mitsu doesn't have a fix yet. What irritates me is this dealership knew about it and Mitsu hasn't sent any letters out letting customers know about the problem. Here I was thinking maybe I was just going crazy or something. I mean I did pay a few $k extra just for this sun and sound package and I can't enjoy the sound that much (if you have the problem you'll understand what I mean, some songs just weird out so much at times it gives me a headache). Anyways gotta go pick up my car now and wait out Mitsu to fix this issue. Just thought I'd let everyone know.

Also, does anyone know who I would complain to? I mean I'm bothered Mitsu didn't send out any warnings and my original dealership for not telling me of the problem either time I brought it in (course I can't say if they had known, but how did the other one know right away when I explained the prob).
    did anyone put into their 08 lancer the mp3/ipod cable? if so can someone please tell me how to use it. i don't know what i'm doing.

thanks.
    Did you buy the cable already? If not go to Radioshack and get the shortest RCA or whatever cable they got, should have one side that has a white and red (two plugs) and a single plug on the other. is like 5 or 10 bucks I think. Then match the color plugs underneath the radio, behind where the charge plug is at and plug the ipod in. Hold the CD button in until it says AUX and then just use the Ipod as normal.