Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    don't feel bad, that's actually easy to do! Good thing nothing was really wrong.

What Washington State Ferry were you taking, BTW? The one I'm the most familiar with is the Edmonds-Kingston run. Great little ferry ride and sometimes quite windy out there as well.

Hope everyone's enjoying their '08 Lancer's to the hilt like I am. I'm about to head to Safford, AZ, again, to head to Wal*Mart. My computer's printer crapped out. Oh well, I guess 8 years of usage is actually getting pretty good value out of a printer, huh? :D

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• lovethelancerlovethelancer Member Posts: 70
    haha it was that exact ferry route.....edmonds-kingston

ride was very smooth yesterday though...we havent had any horrible winds lately which is good!
    the Edmonds-Kingston run! Yeah, I grew up in north Edmonds, Olympic View Drive and Talbot Rd. area. Pretty nice area for a kid to grow up in. With a view of Puget Sound out our living room window. It's a beautiful area, the Pacific Northwest. I do miss it sometimes. Hopefully Seattle won't lose the Sonics to Oklahoma City but it doesn't look very promising right now. Oh well, Seattle and Steve Ballmer(Microsoft CEO ponying up about $150 million of his own money to build a new stadium to try and save the Sonics)can get another team, like the N.O.Hornets or the Memphis Grizzlies. There are gonna be a lot of Seattleites that are going to really miss the Supersonics, man. It's a shame...I'm going to miss them from the SE Arizona desert!

Today on the way to Safford, AZ, we got 36.2 mpg in the Lancer on that long, ever-slightly sloping Hiway 191 going north. Awesome gas mileage. Unfortunately picked up a lot of bugs enroute to Safford and Wal*Mart! Cleaning the car looms ahead, then, again.

Yeah, I like to look for jellyfish in the Sound on those ferry rides, they are awesome those ferry rides. I miss them very much!

• tiff_ctiff_c Member Posts: 531
    haha naw....I cant drive them and I wouldn't want to living in the city and with our hills around here.

I drive in the city and we have hills here as well. It's so great to drive a manual shift. I have a bad back but won't give up my manual until I have no choice. I might consider a manumatic EVO at some point but for now they have a lot of bugs to work out with that transmission.
    I got stuck in Boston in a traffic jam, due to an accident and no drama with a manual for me.
    Manual transmissions are dying out. :sick:
    No one wants to shift any more.
    that's true. When I started looking at the 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer I was gonna buy a stick. I phoned ahead and found a dealer west of Phoenix that had the exact Lancer GTS in the exact color and they would give me the 4.9% financing that two other Phoenix dealerships already agreed to offer. Good-great, just needed to drive the 209 miles NW to Avondale, a western Phoenix suburb, and test drive this beautiful new Mitsubishi.

When we got there they showed me the Rally Red Lancer, but, to my surprise, it was an automatic CVT Lancer GTS! I got all upset and told them that they should be more careful when talking to people over the phone about what their own cars had as features, blah-blah-blah.

At the same time I was so stoked to test drive this gorgeous car that I just decided that it would work for us as an automatic, my wife and son don't drive stick, etc. I was gonna be the primary driver of the car, anyway, but we decided to get it, even though I drove up there thinking 5-speed tranny all the way! It has worked out very well for us so far. I would not rule out going back to a stick in the future, but, this CVT has some advantages to it and has worked out very well for us.

At the same time I was so stoked to test drive this gorgeous car that I just decided that it would work for us as an automatic, my wife and son don't drive stick, etc. I was gonna be the primary driver of the car, anyway, but we decided to get it, even though I drove up there thinking 5-speed tranny all the way! It has worked out very well for us so far. I would not rule out going back to a stick in the future, but, this CVT has some advantages to it and has worked out very well for us.

Yeah it's tough if your wife doesn't drive a stick. My wife does but prefers an automatic. :sick:
    Someday I'll have to drive an automatic or a manumatic but hopefully not for a really long time. ;)
    All the electric and hybrid cars seem to me some form of CVT. I wonder if the Mitsu has a true CVT or is really an auto internally with paddle shifters?
    yeah, that brings to mind the new Mitsubishi i-MIEV citycar. It is an all-electric and IIRC it also has an automatic tranny. I think the article described just 'D' and reverse(not sure if it has the automatic CVT tranny), but I'll have to check on that. Mitsubishi really has me latched on to them now, their engineering is top-rung IMO. I love my Lancer GTS so much and I love it just as much today as I did when I bought it 13 months ago. Just passed 20,000 miles the other day. I'll need to go get it another L-O-F next week, but, maintenance to me is like a little further investment in my car. It's annoying to give up the greenbacks for it, but, there's really no other option. Cars are built so well nowadays that if you just give your car some serious TLC it'll love you back by keeping you on the road. With these new-world-order Mitsubishi Lancer's, that TLC includes liberal washes to keep it looking shiny and new.

I forget tiff c, were you gonna buy a Mitsu a while back? What did ya end up getting, if anything? Are you waiting for a particular rig to come out to buy?

• lancerfanlancerfan Member Posts: 17
    This car is so sick! easily nicest looking car under $30,000 in my opinion. I know it has an excellent warranty but that doesnt mean its reliable, what is the reliability like so far for all you lancer owners? Please tell about any major and minor problems.
    Thanks in advance
  • milwcheapguymilwcheapguy Member Posts: 19
    I am now pushing 3,000 miles. I bought mine Feb. 25th. I have had no issues.

Now that Wisconsin is starting to get out of it's winter freeze, my mileage has incresed to 29.5 city/hwy mix.

'08 Lancer ES 5 Speed
    I forget tiff c, were you gonna buy a Mitsu a while back? What did ya end up getting, if anything? Are you waiting for a particular rig to come out to buy?

I was going for the Lancer GTS opted for a Civic Si instead. Thought about a Evo but was seriously unimpressed with the one they had in the showroom. It had parts falling off it! They also had added cheap plastic body kits to ALL the cars on the lot and they sure looked flimsy! Stickers saying do not stand on, etc...
    My wife doesn't fit in the car as she is short and the car can't be adjusted to fit her, same for the Subaru STi only it's not as bad. maybe the manumatic would be a possibility but gas here is really starting to climb and we have it cheap compared to other states! We have to use Premium in the Si so that has gone up over 20 cents a gallon in less than a week! Today Premium was $3.61 a gallon. It will probably be $3.70 a gallon by the end of the week!
    Cars that drink too much gas are off our shopping list for now. I still like the Venture One but chances are when the new diesels come out and the new Prius if it really does get 100mpg will be our next car. Electric cars don't work very well with our hills, snow and unplowed roads.
    I won't sell the Si now but if gas hits over $5 a gallon I'll probably consider bailing on it.
    We currently are getting about 30mpg on the highway and it's not broken in yet, under 5k miles!
    I've scaled back all non essential driving. I buy gas at Hess which doesn't come from the Middle East. But even still I'm pushing a hefty bill every month compared to before.
    Electric cars will be good IF they don't raise the electric rates to compensate.
    Why do we get SCREWED out here in the west?

Gas is $3.67 for REGULAR here as of today 4/23/08

I have heard San Francisco is at $4.09 and parts of Hawaii at $4.15 or something like that...this is insane. We already pay effing 9% sales tax here why do we have to have the most expensive gas prices too:(
    Last night (4/23) in Milwaukee some gas stations had regular 87 octane at $3.79 with premium @ $3.99 So it is not just you out west.

That is one of the reasons that I only did a two year lease on my Lancer. By the end of 2009 Honda, VW, and maybe Ford & Chyrsler will have their diesels in the US. And if VW can bring the Golf TDI Hybrid to the US (70 MPG US) as much as I like my Lancer, I won't be its owner.
    I know it seems like we are getting great deals on gas out here but employment is way down. Our property taxes are incredibly high and blue collar jobs here pay the same as they did 10 years ago! Some pay even less than 10 years ago! :sick:
    Our gas is going up 4-5 cents a gallon every day it seems. I love the seats in my Civic Si and the car is great. The Mitsu probably would get the same economy but up here you see the Prius everywhere. I figure my Civic is good for 2 years and I'll bail on it when gas gets too extreme. Right now I'm not driving crazy miles like before. I feel bad for the guys that are driving their huge SUV's. Here you often need AWD or 4WD because of the hills and unplowed roads.
    I'd love to get an EVO but gas will be to high to justify a performance car if gas prices down come down to $3 or less a gallon.
    I don't know where you live Tiff, but I bet that my property taxes are higher than your taxes - last year I paid $28 per $1000 of assessed value - and Milwaukee is the lowest in the metro area - some locallities are up to almost $40 per thousand.

Gotta love Wisconsin - corrupt governor and the 7th highest taxes in the land.

And I feel no love for the SUV owners - 8 years ago when gas hit $2/gal here, I only bought higher mpg cars. They have had plenty of time to trade in their SUVs. Even here in the Wisconsin winter you can get by with quality driving and front wheel drive.
    Hey if the 09 lancers are already out does anyone know how much longer the 08 lancers will be for sale brand new?
    I don't know where you live Tiff, but I bet that my property taxes are higher than your taxes - last year I paid $28 per $1000 of assessed value - and Milwaukee is the lowest in the metro area - some localities are up to almost $40 per thousand.

I'm up in New Hampshire and we get NOTHING for our property taxes! :mad: :sick:
    I mean it's pathetic We pay around $30 per $1000 and we get zip. Sure no sales or income tax but they make up for it in other ways.

And I feel no love for the SUV owners - 8 years ago when gas hit $2/gal here, I only bought higher mpg cars. They have had plenty of time to trade in their SUVs. Even here in the Wisconsin winter you can get by with quality driving and front wheel drive.

I got by this winter barely with FWD and snow tires but if the roads were any worse I would have had to take too many days out of work. I can't use a snow blower in our driveway it's just too long at about 140 feet.
    SUV's aren't really the answer, neither are trucks but lots of people have them and use them up here. More North of here and you are fully in the mountains and you have to have 4wd. I used to live that far up north and you stay home until they plow if you have FWD.
    Subarus sell very well up here as does anything with FWD.
    You need AWD or 4WD to get started when you stop on a hill. Bad weather and ice and only FWD you have days you won't be at work on time. My boss is not an understanding guy.
    But no way am I spending over $4 a gallon and filling up every 2 days it's not worth it.
    They don't even blink at $100 bills at the gas station any more. :sick:
    If it wasn't for the snow FWD would be fine.
    Wisconsin is no fun in the winter either unless you like to snowmobile. Can't do that around her any more it's all private land. Posted no trespassing and no snowmobiles, no hunting etc... all over the place.
    Anyway Mitsu hopefully will come up with a better fuel efficient car by 2010. :)
  • psychogunpsychogun Member Posts: 129
    If all goes well, then by 2010 (2011 model year) both the Lancer and Outlander should be available with a diesel option.
    as it goes up more and more. We are paying $3.34 a gallon for 87 no-lead here in the boonies of SE Arizona. I know a lot of people are paying much more so I can't complain too much. Monday morning we take our '08 Lancer GTS in for a L-O-F and tire rotation/wheel balance. Our Lancer GTS is running great and I can't wait for the service appointment as they always wash the car afterwards. It's kind of dusty-dirty right now(we get big dusty winds over here)and there's unfortunately a lot of bug guts on the front.

I don't think that gas prices will drop too much. I read on the internet news that there are people thinking that it will level off soon. But I don't believe the price will go down to below $3.00/gal again. Mitsu is developing their all-EV vehicle the i-MIEV. Its range is only 100 miles, though. I could use a longer range. But I will follow that car's development closely, even so. All-EV rigs are my top choice for the Lancer GTS replacement vehicle. Hybrids are fine but I'm looking to jump right to all-EV's next. There is a group somewhere in the U.S.(more than one I have heard) that will retrofit your car to all-electric drive. That is an interesting option to look in to as well. I am thinking that I need to wean off of ICE technology for my automobile. This gas thing is getting disgusting to participate in any longer. :sick:

and wheel balance done. I called up while the work was being done and the service advisor advised we replace the air filter($18.95), which I was more than happy to agree to. He also mentioned that I should consider a 4-wheel alignment as our tires were "getting beat up on the inside." Well, I didn't realize they were getting beat up on the inside but I have noticed some of the "pulling to the left" thing going on, and this might explain the uneven tire wear.

So I agreed to a 4-wheel alignment. He noticed a bit of hesitation in my voice so he knocked $10.00 off the price, it came to $69.95. The car was there about 9 hours, we went to a restaurant and had a good meal and to the bookstore/CD/DVD store nearby to kill time.

The final bill was $115 and change. The '08 Lancer seemed to hold to the lane better without pulling to the left...I'll be reporting on how this goes, but it seems to be improved. It didn't seem all that bad to me...but it shouldn't pull at all so I agreed to do all of these measures. I'll let y'all know how it goes as more miles go by, to see if the fixes hold and keep working. Our '08 Lancer GTS is up to snuff with all maintenance and looking great all washed up. Still need to bring my paint stick out and touch-up a few areas on the driver's side of the car.

They are very minor touch-ups but since I baby the car so much I know where any and all nicks or scratches or paint flecks are located. :D

I now have about 3100 miles on my Lancer. The one issue that I am noticing is that the mileage computer in the dash is rather inaccurate. It seems to be off by as much as 15%.

95% of my driving is to/from work - 25 miles each way in stop & go rush hour traffic. According to the mileage computer - I never get less than 30 mpg. Often it will push 33 mpg depending my on right foot.

However, when I do the math at the pump I seem to be getting significantly less then the computer tells me. This last time, I got 27.2 mpg. I fill up at the same station and usually the same pump everytime. So the variable of where the pump shuts off in relation to how much fuel is in the tank is moot. And even then, 2/10ths of 13 gallons isn't going to effect mileage by 10%.

Is anyone else noticing this in their Lancers?

p.s. I have noticed the inaccuracy in the wife's Caravan, but since it is a Dodge, I am just happy that it still shifts into all four gears and the A/C works.
    I think my Lancer might be a little more accurate on the mileage computer than yours. I usually drive 13 highway miles to work and my computer says 28 mpg for that trip. On the way home I usually get about 23-24 and I filled up today with an average of 24.9 for the tank. it is just a bit better than the Jetta I had, but I wish it was just a BIT better. $51 to fill up my 13.7 gallons this morning
    I have a rule of my own that I won't pay more than $20 at one time at the gas station. Even if we're driving 1000 miles some place on vacation I will not put more than $20 in the tank at once. Just my way of protesting high prices for gas, I spose. :blush: I don't really know what it accomplishes for me, though!

I have not noticed a variance in my Lancer's fuel mpg-ahh-meter. It will drop down to 19mpg or 20 mpg if I am staying driving in our little town more than on the freeway. On the freeway it regularly moves between 30mpg to 37mpg, depending on the terrain travelled. So I tend to think it's pretty accurate. Nice to get the wheels balanced and tires rotated and the 4-wheel alignment done. As well as getting my Lancer's air filter replaced. I am happy to get that done because we live in a dusty part of the country and I just know it wouldn't hurt to freshen to a new air filter. Loving my Lancer GTS as always!

I havent dealt with my service department yet, but it sounds like you have a really great one that you go to sephia......i had a VW and they would never inspect other parts and tell me they need replacing haha...sounds like your service dept is really fair too.....hopefully i will have a similar experience, but i dunno..my dealership didnt even wash/detail my car when they sold it to me because it was a saturday and detail was closed haha
    they wouldn't wash your car because detail was closed? Eeek!

Yeah, Ideal Mitsubishi is really pretty good. We had to wait a long time last time in but I mentioned all the things that were done. We were enjoying shopping and browsing so it was cool. I didn't even buy my Lancer GTS from them! I went to west Phoenix(Avondale, AZ)to buy mine! They still treat us right!

I know where I'll buy our next Mitsubishi from! :D

I am watching the development of Mitsubishi's electric car the i-MIEV. Even though I won't be buying anything new for years and years, I think electric might be a sound way to go for propulsion after all the dino gas and oil is used up, or gets too costly to keep spending money on.

• broonsbybroonsby Member Posts: 13
    Hi folks. Just recently got a 2008 Lancer ES (2.0 auto) and am averaging 32 mpg mixed driving. I should note that it is highway biased. The computer seems pretty accurate in mine so far. The deal is that the longer you drive the more accurate it will be since it starts from scratch after more than 4 hrs idle time. It's simple statistics really. The more data, the more accurate the results will be. But honestly, never take too much stock in the computer display in any vehicle. It's only a guide at best.
    As far as the whole issue of taxes, Maine has all the rest of you beat. We are #1. It sucks.
    Yes, I would love these lovely new diesels and hybrids now, just bring the prices in line 1st! Even with the high price of gas, it will take several years to pay back the difference in price.
    Lastly, the real reason we don't drive electric vehicles is the battery. The technology is still in its infancy and doesn't deal well with the cold of the Northern states. Too bad really, since electric vehicles have a huge efficiency advantage. Let's put into perspective. A vehicle is roughly 13% efficient (Popular Mechanics) at turning energy released into power to the ground. By the time you include weight and other losses, only 0.5% of the energy burned goes into moving the passenger forward. You read that right. An electric vehicle is roughly 50% efficient at getting energy to the ground with a backyard conversion. If the math holds equivalent, that's at least 2% of the energy released moving the passenger forward. So roughly 4x as efficient. The real loss is still the batteries and the inability to deal with temperature swings.
    Does the display in the dash say instantaneous m/pg or just average m/pg? Stupid question i know but it was just bugging me when my buddy said he wished his car did that and then i wondered if this car has it
    Does the display in the dash say instantaneous m/pg or just average m/pg?

It displays both. The instantaneous is a bar graph. The average is a digital number display. The only bad thing is that the average mpg display resets after 4 hours of the car being turned off. Also displayed on this information screen at the same time is the average speed driven.
    Thanks. Had me wondering that all.
    K&N just came out with an air filter for the '08 Lancers. I got mine last week and installed it before the UPS guy got out of the parking lot.

Gotta say that it improved my fuel mileage and pep.

I don't have exact figures yet on the fuel mileage since I still haven't used a tank of fuel - sorry, it is summer time, and I ride the motorcycle to work every chance I get. But if the on board computer is accurate, I would say that I am getting between 5-15% better fuel economy. (depends on whether I am testing the acceleration or economy)

The increased pep is also noticeable. The car seems to get to the redline quicker in 1st gear and the acceleration at highway speeds is improved too. The jump from 70-80 in fifth gear is even more effortless than before.

Is it worth $54 (including shipping and tax) - so far YES. especially if you live in the SW or dusty areas of the country (you know the whole lifetime filter thing). If it is just for a fuel mileage gain, at $4+/gallon it probably won't take long to save the $54 in gas either. :shades:
    no, my sub sounds good cranked up at the upper levels. It is pretty strong, causes some mild shaking of the interior fittings some times. Nothing big, in fact, I don't see how it couldn't shake things up, quite a bit really. You might ask your dealer about yours, dunno what might be wrong.

Actually I like how they have set the sub and various speakers up in our Lancer GTS. It's designed to send the sound right towards the center of the cab, whisking happily about to our ears.

No, check it out with your dealer, if you want. I actually have nothing new to report on my '08 Lancer GTS. I'm not getting paint chips, apparently that is an issue with some people. And mine is steering straight and true, the stereo sounds great. Love the looks of the car.

A side note-I found a 2008 Hot Wheel production of a Rally Red Lancer Evolution at Wal*Mart a couple weeks ago. Looks great-I asked a guy stocking about an actual Lancer GTS Hot Wheel model because I didn't see one of our cars in there. He said to check back soon as he expects more stock to come in soon. Anyway, I have my 2008 Lancer EVO Hot Wheel in Rally Red(looks almost exactly like our baby EVO Lancer's)right next to my baby blue 1965 Ford Mustang convertible model sitting on top of my computer monitor. Oh, what a lovely pair! :shades:

I agree. This is a problem for the dealer. Typically the pop would be from a bad speaker or amplifier. If you can feel resistance while pushing in on the cone (unpowered of course) of the speaker, then the coil is fried (melted and falling down on the magnet. It will make a slight scraping noise as well. If the cone checks out, it's probably an amplifier issue. Please note that all no speaker system is bullet proof. You should as a rule keep the sub volume down to 3 or less at higher volume levels. As an aside, if it's the Rockford Fosgate system, dang bro, that's loud!
    haha i have the voume no higher than 30 on the nav system (i believe it goes up to 45).....i used to run it with the sub at level 6 of 7, but not ive got it down to like 4 because i'm worried about it.

I guess I will ask the dealer about it later...i had it there today but they only do oil changes on saturdays so i didnt even bother....they also got oil on my engine cover....i checked when i got home and i noticed it....so lame

whatever...they also wrote on my service reminder slip on my windshield to come back in 3000 miles...what the hell...im pretty sure our oil is supposed to be changed every 5k.....if they put crappy oil in my car im gonna be so pissed:(

My sub sounds fine in the cabin..it is just when i go check it in the trunk...it sounds pretty horrid. After seeing the oil on my engine cover i dont know if i want these guys tearing my stereo apart haha :( ugh bad day!
    wow, you're just talking about opening your trunk and listening to your stereo from back there in this, huh? Ya know, I always shut mine off when I'm back there. Now, there's times when a particular Foghat or Tragically Hip tune has my immediate fancy and I'll pop the trunk for my wife to put groceries in. I should turn the sound down, but, y'all know that that's not always easy to do when you're enjoying a tune, right?

But, that makes me curious. I should turn up the sub to 6 and bass at 4, 5, or 6 and pop the trunk and leave a song run for a bit and walk back there and listen. Then I'll be able to tell much better. In fact, I will try and remember to do it tonight when I get home from work. I'll see if it makes an annoying crackling, popping sound.

It's funny, because, you remember when we were watching that YouTube video with an '08 Mitsu Lancer GTS, starting up its motor. We'd hear that weird, fast-tick sound? Well, I hear it now every time I start up my Lancer GTS. I can pretty much tell you that I have blocked it out of my mind as even being there every time I start that pup up. But, if I listen for it, I can hear it. It's just normal factory install-parts in the electrical system, the starter probably, making the noise. Means our Lancer's are working fine, gentlemen! Seems to me my '65 Ford Mustang(my first rig all of my own!)would make that sound when I could not turn the engine over. I would have to get out and bop the starter solenoid with the head of a screwdriver(I still have that screwdriver, BTW!). I'd then close the hood, get back in the 'Stang and it would turn over like cherry pie and run just fine! It's not a defect, however, in our '08 Lancer GTS'. Don't worry 'bout it at-tall. It would only be a problem if you're all not able to start your Lancer's up after hearing that ticking sound, right? I mean, it's not a problem with the part wearing out prematurely, IMO. Just a feature of using those parts in unison, is what I'm trying to say.

Gentlemen, start your engines! :shades:

• chip21chip21 Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone tell me how many RPMs a 2008 Lancer ES 4 cyl with CVT transmission is turning to run 75mph.
    This would be on level ground.
    Well, I don't exactly know, but I can make a best guess. I have the cvt and 2.0 liter engine. At 65 MPH, it runs about 2100 RPM. At 75, I believe it runs about 2300-2400 RPM. I can tell you from experience that it will make a difference in gas mileage. I average about 32 MPG at 65 MPH, windows up. 75 MPH will drop it to about 29 MPG. If you average a constant 45 average, you can see 40+ MPG. Yes, you read that correctly. Rolling resistance and wind resistance all add up above 60 MPH, just like the EPA has stated for years.
    yeah if you are running 75 mph on cruise control it will be at about 2400 with the CVT
    You are pretty close on figures. The gauge on my Lancer reads 2500 rpm at 75mph. And I am getting 30mpg at that speed and not to happy about it. I recently got rid of a 92 Toyota Camry automatic that would do 75 at 2000rpm and get 33mpg.
    It had 280k on it and never any problems. And with the Lancer CVT having 6 gears, but not being able to see or feel any shift change's I was concerned that maybe it was not shifting into 6th. So it sounds like 2500 may be correct for the car, and if so it will never get much better mpg.
    Thanks for the info.
    I have a 2008 Lancer and I am very dissatified with the radio screen. I have talked to my dealer, and they say learn to live with it, and I have called Mitsubishi USA and talked to customer service rep, and he says that they are aware of the problem but no fix is in the works. He recommended that I fabricate some kind of hood to go over the screen. I told him that if that is what the answer is that Mitsubishi should design, fabricate and furnish the hoods to the owners. His reply was that it would be up to management. I do plan on pursuing the issue.
    Otherwise the car looks good, rides and drives good, but have not made up my mind about the CVT, the other down side is poor mpg for a vehicle this size and weight. I feel that it should be getting 33mpg or better at interstate speed (75) and it is getting 30mpg.
    Chip, If you want better mileage, I would try the K&N air filter. I installed mine about 500 miles ago and am getting just short of 10% better mpg. I am up to 32 mpg in a city/hwy mix with a 5 speed and I cruise well above 3000 RPM at highway speeds.

Also how many miles do you have? I noticed that around 5k the motor started to finally break in get better mileage.
  • woods77woods77 Member Posts: 23
    Where did you get the air filter from and about how much does it cost? I just got my 09 Es-Sport over the weekend.
    Have just over 6000, changed oil at 3000 and replaced with 5-20 Mobil 1 Synthetic, which I have used in my cars for many years, will change on 5k frequency. I tried a K&N filter on my Ford truck and afer a while I kept getting a check engine light. It got bad enough that I bought my own OBDII scanner. I finally traced the problem to the mass air flow sensor, which is located immediately behind the air filter. I cleaned it several times with electronic cleaner and the code would clear, but after a couple thousand it would come back. I finally came to the conclusion that a minute amount of oil from the filter was getting onto the sensor. I replaced the K&N with stock paper and have not had a repeat of the problem for 25k.
    Never did replace the sensor, just cleaned.
    So this sort of soured me on an oil type filter, but good luck with your application.
    Thanks for the response
    Got it online directly from K&N. It was $54 something with tax and S&H
    Yeah, this is a possibility with oiled air filters. A number of mods include a cold air intake that extends the filter away from the sensor. The intake increases the amount of oxygen that the engine gets and reduces the chance of oil on the mass airflow sensor (MAF sensor). The oil problem is one they generally try to avoid by suggesting a "very light" oil coating. They strongly suggest no heavy coatings for just this reason. By the way, DON'T use carburateur cleaner. This can ruin a sensor. They make special cleaner readily available at parts stores to clean air intakes and is sensor safe. I know that for trucks there exist 100k mile high flow air paper air filters. I hope these start making their way to the Lancer.
  • akilez68akilez68 Member Posts: 5
    It is the highways and roads that makes the Lancer sway to the left. epsecially if the road was pave uneven.

I have no paint chippin g on my 2008 Lancer with 37,650 miles on it. No problems and paint chipping.

Steering wheel swaying to the left is caused by un even pavements on highways and roads.
    try cruise control and your car will ran straight if the pavement is even.

You really have to learn how to drive the new Lancer.
  • rob4115rob4115 Member Posts: 2
    I have had my GTS for over 1.5 years now and I have a little over 23K on the tires and I have to tell you despite numerous trips to the dealer not once have they been able to correct the pulling or excessive wear issue on the Dunlop tires. When I expressed my frustration with the problem I was told by the dealer "well you will have to call Dunlop about it nothing I can do for you." I am at wits end I am calling Dunlop and Mitsu b/c this is crap and I live in Chicago and the weather is never perfect but little to no traction in snow is one thing but when it is cold or raining too....pffft! The last trip to the dealer for and oil change and rotation at 22.5K miles they told me the tires were past the wear indicators and needed replacing. WTH! I hate this car at this point.
    Maybe it is the GTS tires. I have an ES 5 speed with 10k miles don't have any drifting issues or tire wear.

As far as poor weather traction - I live in Milwaukee and have nothing to complain about. The wet traction is fine. I barely even notice a loss of traction compared to normal driving conditions. The snow - well it is snow. Driving down slushy roads isn't difficult. About the worse thing with the snow is getting out of my un-plowed alley in the morning. I have certainly had worse handing cars in winter - my 1985 Celica GTS comes to mind immediately.

But - one of the main reasons that I didn't go for the GTS was the wider tire. Wide tires will get significantly worse snow traction compared to narrower tires.
    sorry to hear of your '08 Lancer GTS tire troubles. I have had my tires rotated twice, and I have had two tires repaired, one of the tires has been fixed twice.

My Lancer GTS' tires and steering and handling are doing fine, I did have an all-wheel alignment done, too. All is well.

I will need to replace the tires within the next 3 or 4 months, though. I am currently at 29,865 miles on my Lancer GTS. I am not really happy with the Dunlop's, but they are driving straight-ahead and true.

I am looking at getting some Kumho Ecsta's at $149 a tire next, after I get the 30,000 service done. Coming right up, that it is. Then I'll get some new tires.

Maybe new tires would help you with your Lancer's pulling to the side problems.

• rob4115rob4115 Member Posts: 2
    Bought Kumho Ecsta ASX today and had them "siped" at Discount Tire. I talked the sales guy down to 567$ for the set of 4 with the siping and rebuild kits on the TPMS. We shall see how these go....

***Note, so far the new tires corrected the pulling immediately and with the siping the grip on the ice is impressive.
    fantastic news on your Ecsta's. And I now think it was Discount Tire and not Tire Rack I got that price for the Ecsta's from. Good to hear, let's hope for true road handling and traveling. :D

• v8lemans70v8lemans70 Member Posts: 1
    Please help i was driving home today and hit a contruction baracde due to a jackass not using his mirrors. I broke my driverside mirror. It didn't come off the car but the plastic and glass is gone. The part that attaches to the car is also fine. I've already order a new one but don't know how to remove the old one? Please Help?