Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda CR-V Recalls and TSBs

twilight901twilight901 Member Posts: 13
If you are experiencing noise from the rear differential when turning, especially u-turns then you could have one of the many '07 CRVS that was sent with bad differential fluid from japan. Honda corporation is replacing the rear differential in all those vehicles. make sure to contact your local service place or honda corporation themselves to get your name on the list. Don't just think it will go away and years down the road you will have a screwed up car with no warranty!!!

Comments

• terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    :sick:

Do you have a link for that announcement?
  • twilight901twilight901 Member Posts: 13
    There is no official announcement yet but the honda corporation is calling people they can identify on the honda link. I got my call last week. A lot of dealerships apparently know about it as well.
    Thanks!

Obviously it is TBA, to avoid too much publicity before they have a chance to contact as many as they can.
  • drive62drive62 Member Posts: 637
    Would recall be the right word? If it's a safety issue I suppose so. It may not be ideal to launch a new model with some problems, although I'm not making excuses, bad fluid isn't the worst thing that has ever happened. When the 2G CR-V came out they had to tow some vehicles back because of a seatbelt problem IIRC. Now that's a safety issue.
    Nothing is "officially" a recall until the government gathers enough information, hard data, either from their own investigations, or information provided by the manufacturers. ;)
  • ledaleda Member Posts: 2
    After reading your message I took my new CRV out for a spin in the parking lot doing tight circles (my wife has been driving it and hadn't mentioned any problems). I think I have the problem you are describing. There is a binding/vibration noise of moderate intensity coming from the rear axle that doesn't sound good. The noise will be reproduced with just 90 degree turns for a 10 seconds or so then goes away when I drive straight for a little bit. I have contacted service at my dealer and have an appointment next week. This problem is not something they have heard about.
    Well i'm glad i could help some people out, just have the service department call honda corporation cause i had it there twice before they called and found out that was what was wrong with it. good luck!!
    Yeah the guy who called used the term loosely, its more of contact and bring it in to get fixed. You know they don't want their CRAVE campaign to turn into CRAP campaign. ;)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota seems to do "campaigns" instead of "recalls" too:

Toyota FJ Cruiser Recall - Special Service Campaign 60D

and

Toyota Prius Recall - Special Service Campaign "60C" Steering Shaft Assembly issue

Reminds me of the old saw that domestic cars get repaired while imports get maintenance. :shades:
    LOL.

Well, the verbiage is a legal necessity. As I posted, only the government, in the United States, can implement a recall, either with information supplied by their own tests, or data submitted by the manufacturers, at their own request. ;)
  • nsteblaynsteblay Member Posts: 2
    I also have the same problem. The dealership isn't aware of it though. Also, I received no communication from Honda. I called Honda America with my concerns. They said they didn't know anything about it. I assume they will replace the differential, but I don't see an extended warranty in the works.
    Try checking back with the Service Manager of your dealership, another dealership, and calling US Honda again.... ;)
    Interesting. I would say make sure you are registered on the honda link and just keep calling back. Especially having the service department call directly to honda america. They replaced my differential two weeks ago. Sometimes you just have to keep bugging them in order to get something to happen.
    Exactly so. Always remember that with Service Writers the overturn is big. They may well know little of nothing about mechanical matters..... ;)
  • richk6richk6 Member Posts: 87
    My dealer told me that Honda notified them about the differential noise problem, even though Honda America denied any knowledge of it when I called them.

The service tech said they are waiting for the "official" fix from Honda and have two other 07 V's besides mine on the repair list.
  • dewaltdakotadewaltdakota Member Posts: 364
    For those that are or have experienced the differential issue (wrong/bad fluid, resulting in repair), could you post your VIN, so we can idea of the range of vehicles affected by this?
    Posting a VIN in a public forum, is problematic, BJ, same as posting your Social Security or home address.... :shades:
    Really? How so (the VIN part, not the SSN or address)?
    In some localties, not most, depending on the database accessed, it will return personal information about the driver and/or purchaser, such as home address, etc.

Posting such information publicly, it depends on who sees it, and what access they have....or their hacking abilities. A 14 year old can routinely hack most DMV databases without any trouble whatsoever. ;)
  • bitobito Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I'm looking at a CR-V as a possible purchase. I've asked 2 local dealers if they knew about the differential issue and if they had a manufacturing date when the problem was corrected, so cars manufactured after that time were not affected. Neither dealer knew about nor acknowledged there was an issue. Does anyone have any updated information? Thanks.
    Best I can tell you my CR-V was manufactured in 9/06 so look at what is on the door, most likely its going to be ok by now. Although i was told a friend of ours is purchasing an EX-L and won't have it until march they are starting a wait list. so better get on that purchase if you want one.
    I'm sorry that I don't have any new info on the diff.noise, even though my dealer has acknowledged the problem and has yet to fix my vehicle (and a few others).

If Honda America or your dealer still hasn't admitted the problem when you're ready to buy, insist on test driving the one you plan to buy before signing anything.

Just do a tight left hand circle in the parking lot. If the diff. is bad you will hear and feel a low pitched sound from the rear. Like riding on a grooved highway.
  • bitobito Member Posts: 5
    Hi

Thanks for all the responses. It is greatly appreciated.
  • fw57fw57 Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,

we brought home a LX 4wd yesterday. on leaving the lot my wife said she heard a noise from the rear and went right back. The salesman said it's from "rust" that accumulates when the car sits. ????? Didn't ring at all true to me but I was very tired when she told me. I'll take it out today and do the turning test and let you know.

btw, I can't tell from this alert whether the fix is new fluid or new differential? which is it?

thanks very much for the alert. BTW, did any of you guys buy a Honda Care warranty. We didn't at the dealership, but i'm thinking of getting one from a dealer on line at a discounted rate, e.g. 120K for $685.

fw57
    follow-up on previous message. turned and turned, heard nothing. hoping the initial sound was indeed nothing.

thanks,

fw57
  • hondagal3hondagal3 Member Posts: 8
    Where is the Honda Care Warranty quote for that price from?
  • sbgsbg Member Posts: 9
    Considering buying an 07 CRV this month/next few months. (Wish I could have gotten an 06 but waited too long.) How do we make absolutely sure that we don't purchase one with this differential problem especially since some dealerships and even Honda headquarters are "unaware" of it? Thanks.
    I think the dealer was referring to the light coating of rust that develops quickly on the the surface of the rotors. The first couple of times you touch the brakes, it makes a weird sliding/scraping noise, until the pads clear off the rust. It's not related to the rear differential issue, but it's certainly not a pleasant noise to listen to, and still creeps me out when I hear it.
    Thanks very much. We've never heard it again and it's nice to know there's a real thing like that instead of some jive.
    Actually this dealership has been straight with us from the start and I have no complaints.

take care,

fw57
  • jungle1jungle1 Member Posts: 3
    We bot a new crv 6 weeks ago and within 2 weeks, we heard a noise when we turned hard to the right or left. Took it back to dealer and the Dealer put in a new differtial and now again 2 weeks later there was a grinding. Took it back and they are now putting another differential in. What a mess. The dealer did not know about the problems with the differentials but they do now. Am amazed that Honda has not corrected the problem although the dealer said today that they are sending the new improved version. We will see. Have owned Hondas since 1980 with no problems with over 20 new Hondas. Am very surprised that Honda is experiencing this problem let alone any problem. What is going on????
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Honda is going through mass production quality control issues similar to Toyota.

Our past 3 Hondas ('00 Ody, '00 Accord, & '06 Ody) all had major pre-mature mechanical problems. The first 2 Hondas were repaired to our satisfaction with first attempts.

The new Ody has a droning defect that is not repairable. Honda corporate is saying the noise is a "normal operating characteristic of the vehicle". I was taken back by their unwillingness to fix a known problem.

That being said, I will probably still buy Hondas because they offer the best value on the market. They have great gas mileage, safety ratings, timeless styling, great ergonomics and superior resale value. I'm not sure another brand exists meeting all of those criteria except Toyota.
    Honda corporate is saying the noise is a "normal operating characteristic of the vehicle". I was taken back by their unwillingness to fix a known problem.

I'm curious as to how you know this is a "known problem"?

And I may be wrong but IMO it's the dealer who wasn't able to fix this problem (if it really is one). Another dealer may have been able to, or perhaps you tried that.
  • satuitsatuit Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2007 CR-V with 4WD a couple of months ago. Probably half a dozen times now I've tried to start it and the engine doesn't turn over. The dash lights come on including an engine malfunction light for second. I wait a few seconds, turn the key and it's fine. I called the dealer here in Boston (Herb Chambers) and the service person suggested that the shift lever wasn't in Park. Wrong. I didn't touch the shifter before trying a second time. At least it's documented so that if the problem continues, they know about it. Does anyone have any ideas?
  • jungle1jungle1 Member Posts: 3
    I truthfully would not take anything from the dealer. They have a responsibility to serve you since you paid for their product. If it does strange things, go on record and insist their making good. Don't except excuses. Be polite yet forceful. You paid a lot of money for a good product and if it doesn't perform properly, get it fixed. I have made some headway with Honda rgarding my problem. Will keep everyone posted. jungle1
  • hondacrv1hondacrv1 Member Posts: 10
    I did research and the Co. that is on Edmunds and the gal said that Hondas extended warranty is horrible. Should i get one from warranty direct? I am so conused. I want a 7 year/100K. Where can i get the best for the best price?
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Not sure what you read or from who but buying a HONDA warranty is a very safe and a good warranty . If you read consumers reports they will tell you that if you must get a warranty your safest bet is a Honda backed one. Here is a dealership that has some very low prices and easy to work with.... Good Luck... MNF

https://www.myhondawarranty.com/pricing.php?action=0&makeID=1
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    I think this site has pretty good prices:

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/hondacare/warranty.htm

$1150 for 8 years / 120K miles, zero Deductable. Assumes the vehicle has less than 6K miles; add $25 if it is above 6 but below 36K.)

Make sure you are buying a HondaCare warranty, where ever you do eventually buy.
  • hondacrv1hondacrv1 Member Posts: 10
    THANKS! I went to hondawarrantyinfo.com and they have great qoutes. You are right i will buy a backed up by Honda one. Warranty direct was saying something about wear and tear with Honda is bad. But her's was more expensive too. I see one for 8/120K 0 deduct for 985. I think i'll grab it. The dealer is in MA, i'm in PA but i can go to any Honda dealer. I think it is great it comes with the roadside assistance too! ANYBODY EVER USE THE HONDA CARE AND HAD GOOD RESULTS AND NO HASSLES?
  • nearmspnearmsp Member Posts: 90
    Guess what? I had a 100k mile Honda warranty on our Oddysey van but NEVER used it! No wonder Honda dealers sell the warranty for so cheap. On the other hand, if Ford had sold me an extended warranty on our Ford Focus (some 68k miles) they would have had to shell out much more than the cost of the warranty.
    if Ford had sold me an extended warranty on our Ford Focus (some 68k miles) they would have had to shell out much more than the cost of the warranty.

Don't be so sure. You really have to read the fine print on warranties. There are many things they don't cover. I know many people who bought warranties (for their domestic vehicle of course) and still had to pay plenty for repairs.
  • brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    I'm going back and forth on whether I should buy an EW for my new 07 CRV. Based on these the two previous messages, it sounds like I shouldn't. However, the thought that keeps rattling around in my head is that it's a redesign year. Of course, I've heard that Honda is known for getting the quirks out of the way before the cars hit the sales floors, but there is another forum dedicated to a engine issue.
  • blackexv6blackexv6 Member Posts: 503
    Of course, I've heard that Honda is known for getting the quirks out of the way before the cars hit the sales floors

We thought the same thing when we bought our '03 Honda Accord. But our worst nightmare came true, a first year car filled with bugs. The car had numerous creaks & rattles resulting in complete removal of the headliner and side curtain airbags. Also, the transmission, rear struts, and tie rod ends failed around 40k miles....a Honda? yes a Honda.

Another example is our '06 Odyssey purchased April '06. It has a droning defect carried over from '05 & I heard the '07's still have the problem. Also, our front brake pads were defective like the '05's.

It really takes about 3 years to work all the bugs out of a Honda re-design. If the new CRV is an exception then be thankful.

I've been following the '07 Toyota Camry redesign and it had a major transmission failure occurance in the V6 models + hesitation issues w/4cyl. Toyota seems a lot more aggressive in fixing their bugs.

Sorry for going off on a tangent. Just keep reading these forums to find out what "hidden" issues may be lerking with a new car.
  • brianjandreaubrianjandreau Member Posts: 67
    I'm picking up the CRV this week. Can I wait to purchase the EW? If so, how long can I wait?
    "I'm picking up the CRV this week. Can I wait to purchase the EW? If so, how long can I wait?"

Yes, it can be purchased anytime before 3 yrs / 26K miles.
    "I had a 100k mile Honda warranty on our Oddysey van but NEVER used it! "

We just used the extended warranty on our 2002 Civic for a cracked engine mount. The HondaCare warranty actually covers lots of stuff that should not break. It doesn't cover items that wear, like belts, tires, etc. These would be expected to be replaced at the appropriate intervals.

People should also realize that they can turn in the warranty for a pro rated refund at any time.
  • mcagvk12mcagvk12 Member Posts: 6
    I took my CRV for a spin in the parking lot and heard the grinding noise from the rear axle. I called Honda Americas and got a case number for this issue they also told they have not heard anybody reporting this problem not sure what they are trying to convey. I have fixed an appointment at the dealer on 29-Jan-2007 lets see what they say.

Please suggest..
  • mcagvk12mcagvk12 Member Posts: 6
    I called Honda Americas about the grinding noise in my rear axle if i make U turns and they told me that they have not heard anybody filing a compliant on this issue.

Can you pls give me the name of you dealer.
    My dealer clarified to me he had not heard from Honda America about the differential problem, but from the Honda techline on how to repair it.

On my work order he contacted Honda techline and then ordered a new rear differential pump assembly. I am waiting till this part comes in to make an appointment for the fix.

As far as I know from posts on this and another forum Honda America is still saying they have no knowledge of this problem,(which I don't believe). I really can't say if they actually contacted any dealer.

I think if this problem becomes very widespread Honda America will have to issue a TSB which should be sent to the owners and dealers.
    Obviously now they are in cover up mode because when i originally talked with honda of america they told me there were hundreds of cars affected. guaranteed that person doesn't work for them anymore. I bought my car in Annapolis, MD however they fixed it for me at Jim White Honda in Maumee, OH. I brought them my car only a week after honda released the new CR-V back in the beginning of october and they were really nice about it and they contacted honda of america and got it fixed. If you call there just ask to the talk to the head service guy.
  • drotrdrotr Member Posts: 1
    I want to make sure I am understanding all of the correctly. Since everything I have read in this thread is talking about the rear differential, this issue is just with the AWD models. Is that correct?