Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Audio Systems

Comments

• blozanoblozano Member Posts: 23
    Switch is located on passenger side right above rear tire. You can almost access switch through crack when top is down. If you send me an e-mail where I can send you attachment, I can provide digital picture of switch. Remember, you must visualize convertible top coming down and frame on top comes down and presses switch to boost your amp to compensate for road noise when top down. If you unplug switch, radio will work but enhanced sound will not work as amp will not be boosted. If you take side panel off passenger side while you sitting in rear seat, switch is right by you elbow (right)
  • capeflyercapeflyer Member Posts: 7
    Got it!
    The trick for me was actually putting the top down, in stages, after removing the panel. I could then see where the descending frame tripped the switch.

I'm off to the dealer again with the switch in hand. I'll post the part number he gives me. As I pointed out 84231-06010 is apparently a courtesy lamp switch.
    Job completed.

When I returned to the dealer I was waited on by a different guy who was familiar with the problem. As noted in this thread 84231-06010 is the correct part and Courtesy Lamp Switch is the description Toyota has assigned to the part.

Thanks for all the help.
  • lpmurraylpmurray Member Posts: 1
    I have 2005 Solara convertible with JBL 6 CD changer. The preset channel buttons on the stereo and the controls on the steering wheel suddenly stopped working. I can manually control volume and change channels but none of the buttons will work. the eject on the cd and cassette work. Any suggestions?
  • donavongdonavong Member Posts: 3
    So if the amp is kicked on when the top is in th edown position. What if you used a zip tie or something to keep switch activated so that Amp would keep radio louder all of the time. Do you think this would cause any long term problems or fuses to blow when opening or closing top?????? Just wondering prior to buying the switch and replacing mine.
    I'm not an EE but my gut tells me to repair it per specs. The cost is small and the only difficult part is figuring out how to get to the switch and then re-assembling the whole thing. This is explained on the thread and somewhat intuitive. Good luck!
    Switch when unplugged (removing wires) will allow amp to be deactivated. Making switch by tie wrap will try to close circuit but with bas switch, problem will come and go. You can install new switch and tie wrap closed to allow amp to be powered up all the time but may be too much bass and sound with top closed. I would replace switch and allow system to work as designed.
  • sparliasparlia Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2007 Solara Convertible with a built in NAV system. I happen to own an XM from my previous car and thus have an account with XM. Is there a way to use XM through my NAV? I would rather not have to install the XM radio like I did in my other car? I see the SAT button - but it doesn't seem to do anything.
    Thanks!
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    We bought our 2006 Solara new from a local dealer. Your 07's description seems to match ours. "Our 06 was sold as "XM ready." Our dealer sent our car to their after sales, radio dealer who installed the actual XM radio for us. No problems and lost of fun. We toggle the SAT/AM button to move through XM's 2 screens of available presets (and one screen of maintainance settings) and back to AM. We can move up and down our preset channels and adjust the volume through the steering wheel controls, as well as by turning the dials and pushing the up/down rocker switch on the radio itself just like we can with the AM and FM channels.

I don't know if your local radio shop can install the radio you own to make your car's system operate as above. You may find a way to do that from others on this forum.

Lastly, I think your XM subscription is tied to the instrument. If you wanted to install an in-car XM system as I described above you might have to buy a new subscription to receive service on the new install.

Hope this helps,
    Meegwell
  • richjacyrichjacy Member Posts: 1
    Blozano you are a saint! I had this exact problem with my 2006 Solara. Radio and CD volume would cut in and out exactly as it does when ragtop was lowered and raised. Brought it in to the dealer and they immediately start talking about the antennae or anywhere between the radio and antennae- several hundred dollars fishing expedition. Even mentioned replacing $2000 stereo. They even stated that they had never heard that the volume cuts in and out when lowering or raising roof- suggested that this was a defect! I read your comments and realized the dealer had no idea what they were talking about. I ordered the part AGAINST the advice of the dealer's service guy who warned me about listening to internet forums.
    I removed the armrest first (1 screw- lift straigh up or otherwise you might break off one of the delicate clips that insert into the plastic support below) and then the upper side panel on the rear passenger side (2 screws). With those parts removed and the roof mechanism visible to the eye I lowered the roof halfway to see exactly where it made contact with the switch mentioned. It is immediately obvious when you do this. In fact, I could manipulate the switch with my finger and get the radio to cut in and out exactly as it had been doing randomly up to then. I then unscrewed the switch (2 screws) and unplugged it from the electical harness it connects to. From there, the new switch (which cost me $25) went right in and connected back up with no problems. Reassembly went smoothly, exactly in reverse. Problem is now fixed!!! Thank you Bozano- great advice!
    Great to see you succeed. Scary what these dealers will do to people and sometimes we have to take risk and try to fix ourselves. I gave it a shot and wanted to share my story. Pleased to see you are up and running. I hate to advise you all the pain I went through. I replaced my radio and amp and after all was done and did not fix problem, found switch as a needle in a hay stack.

Best Regards,
  • 93khj93khj Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    I have a 1999 Solara SLE with the JBL system (says Toyota 18606 on the front). When inserting a CD I get message, "Err 1" which I assume is error 1 and then the CD is ejected. Sometimes I get no message but the CD will still eject. Anyone know what this error means and is there a fix? I ran a CD lens cleaner but that didn't work.
    Thanks
  • gman51gman51 Member Posts: 3
    I have been having the exact same problem for almost 2 years now, in my 2005 solara convertible. I tried to purchase the switch using the p/n in your post, but was unable to locate one. I called the toyota parts number and the guy told me no such part exists, and am I sure there is a switch that controls the amplifier, when the top is operated. He said the problem "must be with the radio" and I should have it replaced, although I have already had it bench tested and it is fine.

Can you please tell me where I can get a replacement switch?
    I read in another post, that the part number is correct and that the dealers have the part listed as a courtesy light switch and therefore don't recognize it when you ask for the switch that controls the amplifier. I removed the panels this morning, found the switch and was able to recreate the problem at will. I took the switch out of car and so far, the problem has not reoccurred. If it goes a couple of days error free, I will bring the switch into the dealer to get a new one.

Thanks to everyone who has posted relating to this problem. I received quotes from $530 - $1600 to solve this problem, and apparently, those repairs were just "shots in the dark" because none of them involved replacing the switch. The dealerships don't even seem to know about said switch.
  • pavilespaviles Member Posts: 1
    I have read all the other 67 comments,
    I think I have a different problem. My 2002 Solara is a summer car only. It has been stored for the winter and when I re-installed the battery the car seemed fine. Except the radio (JBL cassette 6 disk cd changer) has NO volume at all. I replaced the radio and the new one does the same, so I was about to change the amp, and my mechanic stated that the amp and radio need "programmed". He said this is a common thin when these and some Audi's are stored for extended periods of time. He claims that there is a combination of buttons on the radio that program the radio and the amp. I am not sure if this is a security measure or a sync thing. My mechanic is has never been deceiving and is very helpful by giving tips and advice for free on all my familys 20 cars in the area. Does anyone know anything about this programming issue? How to do this. Please help!
  • miklosgmiklosg Member Posts: 1
    I took out the Factory JBL stereo and installed a Pioneer P3200BT head unit (and XM Satellite Radio). There is a Blue wire with White stripe that comes out of the Pioneer that I need to connect to something to get the Antenna Relay to raise or lower the antenna.

Any suggestions on where this needs to be connected?

One difference in that the antenna will raise regardless of which source I use. On the JBL, the antenna only raised when Radio was selected, not on CD etc. For the Pioneer there is no such granularity (I believe) and the antenna will raise whenever the Pioneer is turned on. I can live with this, but ideally it would be source specific.
  • svojeffsvojeff Member Posts: 1
    I too am having the same problem with my sound from time to time. Can you give me the part # so that I too my correct my problem with my convertiable. Thanks this is really driving my wife crasy!
    From my November post:

"I just went to the Toyota dealer. He says part number 84231-06010 is a courtesy lamp switch - cost=$20.50. He gave me a print out/diagram and that part number goes to a courtesy lamp in the passenger door."

Good Luck.
  • dgboswelldgboswell Member Posts: 1
    Blozano, please send me the picture and the diagram. I have the same problem on my 2006 SLE. Thanks.
  • rpfarmerrpfarmer Member Posts: 1
    I came to this forum with the same problem.....and the same problem with the dealer. First, my dealer does not have a wiring diagram for the convertible, so no way to list the switch. I used the part number listed here and ordered the switch anyway.

Although the mechanism of the switch looks the same, the new one only has a single mounting point and the connections are different. But, I decided to take it out and take it to the dealer......and to my surprise and satisfaction, by removing the switch entirely, the problems with the sound system went away. The only thing that is affected by removal of the switch is the dapening of the radio when the top is raised. So, I decided to just leave the switch out altogether. Does anyone see a problem with that solution?
  • meekiemeekie Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2008 Solaro 2 months ago and I am hating the sound system. It sounds very week. I have the Bass and the Treble on 5 and the sound is still very weak. The volume is very low until I turn it up to 30. The dealership has changed the rear speakers and the radio, but it still sounds very low and weak. Last week I went to an outside dealer and purchased an amplifier hoping to get a better sound. Still nothing. Can someone please tell me what I need to do? Do I change the radio to non factory radio? or do I bring it back to the dealer for them to check the factory installed AMP...Dont want it to sound like a metal box with a lot of bass, just want a nice sound system for the car...
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    I have the SAME problem. But I bought my car about a year ago. I LOVE my Solara. But the sound system is on the weak side. I have actually gotten used to it. When the windows are closed it's actually not too bad. And when I play a CD or connect my MP3 player to it, it sound pretty darn good.

Yes, I would prefer a better sound system myself. In fact, what I realized AFTER I bought the car was that if I had bought the version with the NAVIGATION system (package) that "option" would've included the better sound system. I heard that sound system and there is an obvious difference in quality.

You might want to consider going to your Toyota dealer and asking them what it would cost to upgrade to THAT sound system.

Please let me know as I would consider doing it myself!
  • sweetasian81sweetasian81 Member Posts: 1
    I love my toyota but the volume turns itself down and you have to fight with it, so I end up turning it off. After it's off for about 10-30 minutes I can turn it back on and the volume ends up working just fine.
    It has auto volume but it doesn't matter if it's on or off. It seems like it happens more often when it's hot out but this is driving me nutts!!
    Can anyone help me with this issue? my car isn't a convertible and I read a post on how to fix this but I don't know if not being a convertible makes a difference.
  • cjb9cjb9 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same error message, i have tried to disconnect the battery without repair.
    Have you been able to correct the problem and what was the solution?????
  • hlsmithhlsmith Member Posts: 1
    This radio is a 6 disc JBL radio in which the audio cuts off for about about 3 to 4 secs periodicly. The power does not go off to the radio. The information on the radio screen does not change during the audio outage. The dealer have replaced the radio 3 times already and the problem continues. The car is still under warranty but the dealer is not making progress just making continued replacements. Should I change dealers? Write a letter to Toyota? Any ideas?
    I am assuming your car is a convertible. If so the problem is the switch located on the passenger side of the rear seat that tells the amplifier to adjust when the roof is raised or lowered. My dealer attempted to replace the radio at a cost of $1600, but I told him no. No one at any Toyota location, incuding Toyota USA parts department will even acknowledge that the switch even exsists, because it is listed as a "courtesy lamp switch" on the car parts diagram. I removed it myself in about 20 minutes, and my radio has been problem free for two years so far. Unfortuntely, I can not find my paperwork that has the switch part number, but it is failry easy to locate and remove with only a screw driver. You have to remove the interior plastic side panel on the rear passenger side of the car. If you raise the roof half way, you will see the switch where the roof compresses it when it is all the way down. Simply unplug the harness, and remove the two screws. If you like, you can replace the switch (approx. $20) or simply leave it out, it will not harm anything, but you will have to manually increase the volume when you lower the roof.
    I can sympathize with your frustration. It took me almost 2 years to locate the problem, and was told by several Toyota dealerships that I was wrong, and that the only solution was to replace the entire radio and/or amplifier.
    I hope this helps. Best of luck!
  • homeinpcbhomeinpcb Member Posts: 1
    Did you fix it yourself? How did you get to the switch?
  • frankccc48frankccc48 Member Posts: 4
    Wow, same problem with my 2006 SLE Conv, driving me crazy for 4 months,
    per these threads I will purchase part number 84231-06010 and replace this wekend. If anyone has the diagram or pics please le me know where I can download them?
  • whatsup6897whatsup6897 Member Posts: 1
    I'd like to thank you for posting this solution. Our car was experiencing the same problem - the radio, CD player and Auxiliary unit was cutting out. I took it to the dealer and, because it was seven days out of warranty, they wanted $3450 to replace the radio. After I politely left, my DH suggested I Google the problem. This is the first site that came up and after an hour's work, the problem appears to be solved.

Thanks again.
  • frankciafrankcia Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2007 sle convert---am trying to remove rear panel---have armrest off and one screw removed----but cannot see the second screw. help---what am i missing? thanks, frankcia
    The screw is inside the cup holder remove the bottom pad and you will see the screw.
    had removed that one, found second screw by head rest and third screw behind front seat, seat belt retractor ---sneaky little devils. did the switch replacement and all well so far. now if i could just get the supposed speed sensitive automatic volume control to function.----anyone got thoughts on that? thanks, frank
    i have a 2007 sle convertible with nav system/jbl stereo. the manual tells me i have automatic speed sensitve volume control if i enact the 'asl' button on the audio screen. can find no difference with or without 'asl' buttom on/off, and have to manually adjust volume as speed changes. is this just another over-hyped, under-performing option? or am i missing something? thanks, frank
  • bob720bob720 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a diagram how to remove the rear panel and how to replace the switch replace the switch
    ponti6@comcast.net

Thanks
  • lily_elily_e Member Posts: 3
    hello, i'am experiencing this problem now and i was trying to open the panel, after taking 4 screws out, and the panel wouldn't lift.. i can't locate the switch too, i don't know, how it looks like..could you tell me, please if i have to use force to lift the panel and if you could email me the pic of the switch, so i could identify it among the rest of the black and grey parts.
    email- lily.e18@gmail.com
    Thank you in advance!!
    hi, did you fix this problem in your car?? do you have a diagram, by chance, please email me, if you could?!
    lily.e18@gmail.com
    and also-how did you lift the panel?? does it come off easy or i have to apply force??
    hello, i'am experiencing this problem now and i opened the panel, after taking 4 screws out. i can't locate the switch, i don't know, how it looks like..could you email me the pic of the switch, so i could identify it among the rest of the black and grey parts.
    email- lily.e18gmail.com
    Thank you in advance!!
  • rick214rick214 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for this info have had this problem for years. I get angry every time i drive this car. dealer said to replace amp. I will order part and try this fix. I think you just saved me some $$$$$$ thanks again.
  • rdfliterdflite Member Posts: 1
    Yipeee! The switch worked as suggested here. Everything works now. The switch even has a new number: 84231-06011. Thanks for the help.
  • mckeldwmckeldw Member Posts: 1
    Google is a wonderful tool! I started having the same problem with my radio. Thought it was just the station. Second day figured out I had the same problem with CD player. Now it is getting progressively worse.

hlsmith - you've saved me lots of grief. Thanks for your posting.
  • underdog1062underdog1062 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2008 Solara a few weeks ago and now the radio displays are all blurry. Last week a had a remote starter put on it could this be the cause?
  • wormsworms Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Thanks for this post, it worked perfectly for me. It was a little hard to locate the switch at first, its a black rubber like switch...once you remove the passenger side panel...open your convertible roof base and watch where the roof rest ...here you will see that switch..the roof base rest on the switch when it opens. Once you locate the switch you can now unscrew it to either replace or by-pass it (remove it).

Thanks!! I can now enjoy my music :-)
  • solara2006solara2006 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Thank you. Should have researched this prior to just spending 3 hours at the dealer, who could not diagnois the problem. Sent your posting to them so they can fix it.
  • tbatetbate Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2012
    Recently purchased my 2006 Solara SLE Coupe V6 Automatic. The radio/cd/cassette appear to function, although there is absolutely no sound at all. The car has the JBL Premium Audio package. The previous owner said it had worked fine until he replaced the battery in the car, then it stopped producing sound. I'm wondering whether there might be a reset somewhere, a blown fuse, or the amp is cooked. Any ideas, suggestions or comments will be appreciated! :confuse:
  • rjcustomcarzrjcustomcarz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 toyota solara convertable. I am having problems with the radio working intermittenlly. Can you send me the pic of courtesy lamp switch? please send to rjcustomcarz@gmail.com.
    Thank you, RJ
  • acep51acep51 Member Posts: 6
    I started having this problem last years with my 2008 and one radio replaced. Now I have the same problem. Can you email me a picture of the switch in its location?
    Thank you
    I have a photo of where the location is, so I will not need one.
    I have a question regarding the switch replacement. Once the old switch is replaced with the new one, will the same problem reoccur after a year or two? Is it better not to install a new switch and not have to replace this new one sometime from now? I haven’t read or missed reading if some of our original switches were bad from the factory and the new switches have the inherent problem resolved. Can someone help me out with this please???
    Switch is same as courteousy switch that is in your door. This is switch that when you open door reading lights come on. I feel switch is poor design due to moisture that get's in from convertible top. It is always a risk that switch will go out again. If you unplug and do not connect new switch your amp on your radio will not compensate for road noise and increase volume and sound.

If it was me, if you went through trouble to get to switch, I would replace it. Switch was inexpensive.
    Thank you for the information blozano. I suppose even if the amp is not working you couls still hear the radio?
    You have it backwards with the switch, unplugged and out of the circuit the amp is in boost (top Down Mode) all the time. I almost went this route than changed my mind. This could be quite loud with the top closed, but it is up to you, I replaced the switch.