Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Comments

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,140
    Finally, and only a mere decade after the name came back

"So will the Impala go upscale? "

Can it go elsewhere?
  • john_324john_324 Member Posts: 974
    "Can it go elsewhere?"

:D
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    The 08' Malibu, will replace the current Impala, and be about the same size as the current Impala. The 09' Chevy Impala, will be more upscale and be RWD, based on the little known info I've read about on various sites and magazines.

Sounds like a Winning combo to me. ;)

Rocky
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Aren't they a little late to the RWD show? Even Chrysler picked up on the RWD re-birth. By '09, will anyone be excited about this move?

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    The 08' Malibu, will replace the current Impala, and be about the same size as the current Impala. The 09' Chevy Impala, will be more upscale and be RWD, based on the little known info I've read about on various sites and magazines.

IMO, the Malibu and Impala have always been too close together in size, which probably causes them to cannibalize sales from each other. In fact, I remember when the '97 Malibu came out, I checked one out at the dealership, and compared it to a new Lumina, and it really seemed to make the Lumina redundant. It has roughly the same wheelbase (107 for the Malibu, 107.5 for the Lumina IIRC), and was about 8 inches shorter (~192 versus ~200") but I swear the Malibu had a bigger trunk, more headroom, and more legroom. About the only place the Lumina beat it was shoulder room.

When the Impala came out, it was about the same size overall as the Lumina, but the wheelbase shot up to 110.5". But it didn't seem like any of that stretch in wheelbase went to improve legroom much, especially in the back seat. And the '06 restyle, which I thought improved the looks and the interior quality, actually seemed to steal some legroom and headroom in the back! At least I don't remember being able to hit my head on the back window of the '00-05 like I could the '06.

When the '08 Malibu comes out, I think it's really going to make the Impala redundant, especially if it's going to that 112.3" wheelbase that the Aura and G6 use. I guess the Impala will still have it beat in shoulder room and trunk space though.

It'll be interesting to see how well Chevy does with a RWD Impala. Will it be a success, or will it be too late to the party?

It's a shame that the automakers don't make more platforms where they could be versatile enough to accommodate FWD, RWD, or AWD configurations.
    Maybe Chevy can make it like the old days for some differentiation. Offer a 2 door post, 2 door HT, 4 door post, 4 door HT, convertible, and wagon. Offer like 4 engine choices.

GM isn't a quick adopter of most trends...I think 09 is acceptable given the snail's pace of this company. The Malibu issue will indeed be more important...I wonder how they will segment this car.
    "It's a shame that the automakers don't make more platforms where they could be versatile enough to accommodate FWD, RWD, or AWD configurations."

I wish they'd create a generic manual transmission that could be purchased as an option on a bunch of cars, sporting and not. The default option could be the usual slushbox, but for a little extra, the iconoclast buyer could outfit his Impala with a stick shift for instance. A Malibu Maxx with a stick could well become the bargain basement old-school-style Saab... :)

RWD is great, but to me, it's only 1/2 the equation...
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    A manual transmission is offered on the CTS. While the CTS is expensive, it is not that much more than an Impala SS. Also, the Cobalt offers a manual. The G6 offers a manual too. I do not think that many people buy manuals. The two cars that I owned with manuals were not acceptable to me.
    isn't the only way to get a manual is to get the stripper 4-cyl version? I guess one big problem is that the domestic makers tend to look at manual shifts as cars for cheap people, so they just don't put much effort into them. In contrast, the Japanese and Europeans are more willing to offer a manual transmission with a more upscale, powerful car.
  • sls002sls002 Member Posts: 2,788
    Actually, the opposite. Only the GT G6 with the 3.9 V6 is offered with the 6 speed manual.
    Actually, the opposite. Only the GT G6 with the 3.9 V6 is offered with the 6 speed manual.

Oh cool...looks like Pontiac actually TRIED to do something fun with a stick then! :)

I thought I read somewhere that the 3.9 is going to get replaced in the G6 by the 3.6 DOHC V-6? I wonder if they'll still mate a stick shift to that engine?
    It's true that most people don't buy manuals anymore...that's why I think having a generic manual tranny that could be purchased as an option on an array of cars would be cool, for the tiny percentage of us who like them. I'd be willing to pay extra for one (regrettably).

I'm thinking really in terms of bigger, 4-door sedans here. For them, when a manual is available (rarely), you have to buy the high-end-expensive-loaded with-heated-seats-and-other-things-I-don't-need-performance model to get it.

So how cool would it be if GM offered the "sport transmission" option for the Impala, Malibu, etc., across the line? Surely there are some people who need a family car who'd still like to have a little fun while driving...
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    This makes sense to me if the next Malibu is going to grow in size and move upmarket just a bit.

This and the rumors swirling around about Pontiac going all RWD by 2010 show that someone at GM has a clue. How cool would an entire lineup of true peformance, rwd cars be from Pontiac? Very cool indeed. The GTO, G6, G8, Solstice and G5 all rwd? Yikes. Now GM will have to understand that the Pontiac division probably won't sell in exactly huge numbers because of this change, they'll have to realize and treat the new Pontiac as an enthusiasts brand.

M
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    anyone have any experience with the newer rwd cars like the 300 in the snow ? I know the newer traction controls are supposed to be better but do they help that much.

I am just wondering because I love driving rwd cars for about 350 days a year, it's just those other 15 days of snow and rain that keeps me from buying another. I always get flashbacks to trying to get my rwd Mazda to work about 15 years ago.

It's not a good feeling trying to coax them up 10 degree hill in 3rd gear going 5 mph.
  • bumpybumpy Member Posts: 4,425
    Not personally, but my dad reports that the traction and stability control on his E320 handles just fine in snow and slush.

It's not a good feeling trying to coax them up 10 degree hill in 3rd gear going 5 mph.

That's why most RWD cars now have an AWD option, and presumably the Impala would as well (the Holden Commodore does).
    anyone have any experience with the newer rwd cars like the 300 in the snow ? I know the newer traction controls are supposed to be better but do they help that much.

This is only anecdotal evidence, but back in 1999 a buddy of mine bought a '95 Grand Marquis with traction control and ABS. First snowstorm we had he got worried because he said it was sounding funny. He went to a gas station pay phone a few miles from my place, and was worried about driving it any more until I looked at it for him. Well, it turns out he was pushing that car to its limits on the slick roads, and the traction control and ABS were going into overtime trying to keep him from losing control.

Basically, he was driving that thing much at much higher speeds than what I would have driven my FWD Intrepid.

But then a few years ago, he got it stuck in the snow in my yard. Come to think of it, after he replaced it with a 2004 Crown Vic with ABS and traction control, he got that one stuck in the snow in my yard, too!
    I heard both. Motor Trend, is saying 2010 while others say this hot lookin' Muscle Sedan will be here for 2009. The earlier the better. :shades: I can't wait for confirmation. :)

Rocky
  • lemkolemko Member Posts: 15,261
    Well, I hope it gets here soon and looks like an Impala, (six taillights and all) rather than an Accord on steroids.
  • gussguss Member Posts: 1,167
    I agree a true Impale would be cool. Although the 2007 makeover was a huge improvement over the 2000 to 2006. The round taillights were just strange.

A 2 door SS would be nice niche car , but Chevy would never do it.
    ...back in the day an Impala was many things: a two-door hardtop, four-door sedan, four-door hardtop, convertible, upscale wagon, and briefly a pickup truck (1959-60 El Camino). I, personally, would love to see a two-door hardtop Impala SS, but GM doesn't have the guts to do it.
    You also had like 4 or 5 engines to choose from, and they could tow a boat or a trailer!
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    It better remain available as a 6-passenger sedan. Bench seats front and rear. Column shift automatic.

I'd like to see an 8-passenger station wagon version. Or 9 if the third seat area is wide enough. Now that the Taurus/Sable is gone they would have the only 8-passenger wagon anywhere.

I would like it to keep its good fuel economy numbers. 20-22 in town and 30-32 on the highway.

I would like to see blue and maroon offered as INTERIOR colors again. Gray and tan are too common and show dirt too easily. I shouldn't have to buy a used cop car to get a blue interior.

I would like to see them offer a cassette AND CD radio with either CD-R MP3 playback or an input jack for an MP3 player. I bought a Delco cassette radio off eBay for my Lumina which had an input jack added to the face, and it's SWEET.

They also need to put the lock cylinder back in the decklid. As it is now with the 2006-2007 Impala, there is no key lock in the trunk. If your battery dies, you can't get in the trunk unless you ordered at least the LT model with the fold-down rear seatback. BAD decontenting move. I can understand taking away the passenger door lock cylinder, although it makes opening the door for your loved one more difficult if your remote entry fob is not working.

Basic LS models don't need things like power windows, cruise control, or a CD player. Offer a basic $16-$17K model with 6-passenger seating and crank windows and it WILL sell to people who don't care about those kind of options. Sure, we could all go out and buy Malibus, but then someone is going to have to ride in the trunk. And since I'm the daddy, that'd be me, because the wife and kids MUST ride in seatbelts.
    How bout a Volvo C-70 type of folding hardtop that turns into a convertible on a 09 ? Like Dr. Dre, would say rollin' in my 64' :D

I guess it doesn't matter because GM, will have the Camaro and they aren't going put up the risk in this turn-around.

Rocky
    What you really want is a 1979 Impala. No one builds cars like that anymore because almost no one wants them. The only way a 2009 Impala would list for $16,000 dollars is if it were built in China from reground (not remelt) scrap steel. US labor and supply costs are simply too high to hit that price point and remain in business.
    They also need to put the lock cylinder back in the decklid. As it is now with the 2006-2007 Impala, there is no key lock in the trunk. If your battery dies, you can't get in the trunk unless you ordered at least the LT model with the fold-down rear seatback.

Is the remote trunk release electric or cable operated, though? My Intrepid has a remote trunk release, but I think it's cable operated. I've had older cars though, like an '89 Gran Fury, '85 LeSabre, and '79 New Yorker that had a button in the glovebox and it was electric. Now that I think about it, I had lost the trunk key to the Gran Fury, so the remote release was the only way I could get into it!
  • occupant1occupant1 Member Posts: 412
    1979 models don't get 20+ in town and 32 on the road. I had a 1978 wagon, 2-seat, with the 2-barrel 305 V8 base engine and 3-speed automatic with no lockup and I think I averaged 16mpg. That was great in 1998 but wouldn't fly today. Now a 1980-1982 Impala 3-seat wagon with the 2-barrel 267 V8 base engine and THM350C with a lockup converter...that would be as close as it gets.

Now if only Chevy had offered the 1985 Impala wagon with the 4.3 TBI V6 and 4-speed 700R4 automatic with overdrive and lockup...instead of requiring the wagons to have the 4-barrel 305 V8...geez...that would have been great...
    Heck, I had a 1987 Chevrolet Caprice Classic with the 4.3 litre V-6. That car was averaging 26 MPG which is awesome in such a large car.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I may have posted this elsewhere before, but MotorTrend published a couple of photos(renderings) and an article about the upcoming RWD Impala. Here's a link to the article on-line:
    http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news061024_future_chevy_im- pala

The story said these photos represented "one of two design proposals" for the RWD Impala. IMHO this version isn't retro enough. Maybe it looks better in person, but while this car definitely says "Chevy" (especially from the front) it doesn't say "Impala" to me anywhere at all. Also seems like I read somewhere that there would definitely NOT be a wagon offered (which I also lament; had there been a '00-'05 wagon I'd be driving one today!), but I can't find a reference to where I read that info.
    There isn't a big enough market for a Impala wagon. It would be a disaster for GM, to spend the money to bring something like that to market without a significant amount of customers. If you want a wagon get ya a Saab 9-2x. I've heard great reviews from owners.

Rocky
    There isn't a market for an Impala wagon now, but if GM grew a pair they could import a rebadged Holden Adventra and create a market for it.
    Sounds like a idea ? :)

Rocky
    With engines available from the 3.6/3.9 as the base engine to the 5.3 as the midlevel and the SS will have the 6.2 V8 the Big Body Chevy Impala will be Smoking Hott in 2009 !!!!! :shades:

Rocky
  • jpstax1jpstax1 Member Posts: 197
    Holy momma! I see the 6.2 V8 (LS9) will generate 650 hp:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_LS_engine

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page to read about it.
  • colchester47colchester47 Member Posts: 261
    I doubt if Gm will put a 650 horsepower engine in their "09 Impalas.....not street legal....and if they do go with something like 375-400..will they make it a boat like the 94-96's?...............400 horses does no good if your pulling around a 4500 lb boat!!!
    The SS Impala will have between 400-425 hp according to Motor Trend, which should give it Dodge Charger SRT-8/Chrysler 300C like acceleration numbers.

What's up wih this not being street legal. The 1001 hp Bugatti Veyron isn't street legal ? :confuse:

Rocky
    I don't think a comparison between a chevy and Bugatti would be accurate.....and do you think a 650+ horsepower engine would sell on a family car (Impala) especially with gas prices where they are! The new Impala is going to be equal to a Bugatti?....in price?.................don't think so...I wonder how many million dollar Bugatti's are on the road?
    No but a 400-425 hp Impala, will sell quite well. ;)

Rocky
  • imacarguy2imacarguy2 Member Posts: 2
    I hope a smaller engine is standard on all trim levels (save SS). I want a big car tuned to fuel efficiency. How about a V-6 with 260 horses and cylinder de-activation? If it was 3 to 4 mpg more efficient than a 300 hp engine, I'd prefer it. Save the 400 hp for the SS!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    You aren't going to see MID on a V6 it wouldn't be very balanced.

It would be cool to have a RWD impala size car though.

-mike
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    What do you think the chances of GM offering a hybrid powertrain on the upcoming RWD Impala? I'm guessing none, since they'll have the hybrid Malibu out at that point, but I'd sure like to have the room/seating & style a big Impala would provide (I assume the Malibu won't offer a bench seat), but still be able to afford to drive it! :)
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    You aren't going to see MID on a V6 it wouldn't be very balanced.

By MID are you talking about cylinder deactivation? If so, you should do your research. The current 3.9L in the '07 Impala has cylinder deactivation...runs on 3 cyl under light load. So far, the only complaint has been a bug that has caused an electrical "flicker" noticed at night but no power/balance issues.
    Interesting, all the previous reading I did said the V6 would be too out of balance. I guess they got around it somehow.

-mike
  • quietproquietpro Member Posts: 702
    I would have thought so too. As I understand it, the deactivated cylinders are all on the same side as well. Oh...that bug I mentioned only affects a few out there. Haven't heard much more about it...they may have squashed it.
  • mymittiesmymitties Member Posts: 242
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm....!!
    Gee, I wonder if our Host paisan
    is a Chevy guy...??? :surprise:
    Me? Nope not a chevy guy. I'm a Nissan and Subaru guy actually. I host the Motorsports forum actually!

I was thinking of getting a GTO last year but couldn't pull the trigger on it.

I do like RWD or AWD cars so an in-expensive RWD Impala could pique my interest.

-mike
    Well the Impala, might end up being a really nice car choice. :)

Rocky
    Hi Paisan.. :)

Ya, I thought so... One of your posts gave you away..
    Right Ron....! It's No big deal though.

Hey, thanks for hosting ,and and since you like RWD's
    (like most of us do) the new '08/'09 SS is going to do more than Pique your interest....Hang on now.!!

Frank ;)
    Nice. I almost bought a GTO, but couldn't pull the trigger on it. Been burnt on american cars too much and living in the northeast want some AWD goodness. :)

-mike
    Hey there mike,

I don't want to seem tooooooo nosey here, but you have piqued my curiousity now. :surprise: If you are the HOST of the "Motorsports" Forum where all the racing and related track and street stuff is, what are you doing over here with us Impala Guys and gals...??? :confuse:
    Frank ;)
    Frank,
    maybe it's because the SS is considered a race car now........it's kickin some serious butt in Nascar.... :)......maybe the SS should be moved over there......in "motorsports"?
This discussion has been closed.